Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Kate Torba and we are not usually in your ears on a Wednesday, but we thought we would do two parts of our Q and A today. Now. I'm Amy Torburt. I'm pumped for this second round of the Q and A, and we're also joined by Sophie Torbert.
Speaker 2: Of course I'm here.
Speaker 1: I love the Q and as I know, I think we should kick it off. Now someone's asked, do you all live close to each other? You're my favorite podcast, by the way, Sorry, that's that one. I love that concluded that in it's not necessary, So no, we don't live close together. So basically, we all used to live in about five minutes of each other. We all used to live in the Western Suburbs when we were renting, so Sophie, you're still in the Western Suburbs. However, I moved to the Hills, which is about forty five minutes away from you, and then Amy bought a house basically in the middle of Sophie and I. So you and I are about twenty five minutes away from each other now, yeah, so we're really wanting Sophie to move more this side of town. Shafter with everything. Now everyone forgets that I live near the beach. Well, we grew up. We grew up in Canlake Gardens, which is just this beautiful in suburbs. No, but I said, we grew up there, and so we originally moved out of home and we went to live in Brighton, which was quite far away. Then we moved to Grain it's like twenty minutes away. It's just near the beach, so near the beach, and then we moved to Grange because we just loved being near the beach. Now I've moved, I'm probably like ten fifteen minutes away from Mum and Dad now and you're twenty minutes. So we're trying to get Sophie on the other side of town. Well, I'm looking if this bloody housing market would like to crash and Sophie, a couple of weeks ago, you were like excitedly announcing that you're basically buying a house on my street, and you didn't even go to the auction. This week, I see that price was actually not that bad either. I didn't because I'm still waiting for our pre approval to go through.
Speaker 2: I've just got some nitty gritty with the accountant.
Speaker 1: There's another one on sale near me, but it is five bedrooms. I've been pointing out houses around here. Yeah, it's hard because both of you want me to live near you, just the wanted one. Well, let we'll see. We'll see what happens now. Someone asked us for some tips on what they should wear to the office. Some wardrobes stable timely because Amy and I and you, I hate all of my office clothes because we do work from home, but obviously when we go to meetings or shoots, we need to have nice, professional looking clothing on. And I freaked out last week and Amy and I ended up going to this shoot Inactive where it wasn't a footy club because we were filming. I see. I laughed at this question because I literally I work from home. Well, I meant to be in the office two days a week, but it's usually only one day. So when I do go into the office, I just have the same pair of black pants that I wear and change up the tops. I should not be providing any wardrobe advice to anyone because I need to do a complete overhaul I think I spoke on the podcast how I was looking into a capsual wardrobe. However, I bought my car and am saving for my wedding at the moment, so clothes have kind of dropped off my priority. Ortunately do you know what so IH and I are doing with our work clothes. We want to go and get some stuff made, like with our logo on it with so because you see all these people out and they look so much more professional. They've got like black pants and they've got like a button up top or something, and then they've got one of those vets over the top that's got their work logo. Because it is really difficult to dress for the office. So well, I want to give some people some actual good tips for those who actually do work in a proper office, because we did work in news for a number of years, so we have been you know, I do know what age that's right?
Speaker 2: Well, one person who.
Speaker 1: Probably gives way better advice than us, I followed this Instagram account called Mum's Style Diary, and she has all these great tips on how to actually wear clothes properly because feel like there's all these oversized shirts.
Speaker 2: So she doesn't you.
Speaker 1: Sent me once over and it was like, don't tuck your shirt into your jeans folded. I didn't see any difference. Are you serious?
Speaker 2: I sent this two as well.
Speaker 1: I didn't see it.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: I think TikTok is a great wealth of information on wardrobes and staple pieces of clothing. I think I had to look at Henny. I loved the stuff on there. Like in terms of blazers, I think you need to think about like what you can wear over and over again. I keep saying A tip is, if you buy something, make sure it goes with like three different things in your wardrobe. Because I often buy, like if I'm with Mum shopping, she'll pressure me to buy this sale item thing that I never end up wearing because I have like it just goes with nothing in my wardrobe. I think, stay away from trends and stick to quite neutral, staple items of clothing that are going to last for a long time. I agree. I also think for work, get a really good comfortable pair of black pants because they look good all the time. So when I was at seven, we were lucky because the wardrobe department would buy stuff. But I actually ended up buying these pants off the wardrobe to plants because the pants, Yeah, it was so comfortable. I need to probably update them because they're looking a bit ratty now. Cook I also has some great pants for work. They've got the very wide leg and they're super comfortable high waist, and I love the camel pants. They've also got a beautiful, like peace color. What you laughing at the gisue with a cookie though, is that they're not very size inclusive. No, they're not. I think they're getting more sizes, but it's pretty backwards. Sorry, I'm just laughing because I always remember anytime we talk about fashion or style, everyone's like still talking about you don't know anything about it. Look, I'm putting out there I need some advice. If anyone wants to show more piece of advice, I think this prevenue and Jacuba also a good place to get sort of affordable Oh my gosh, I swear. I am literally at the moment obsessed with cocoa and Lola. I stalk their page waiting for them to bring new stuff out. Have I purchased from that website ever? No, because it's really expensive. But I'm trying to find a hen's dress and also maybe like a dress to wear to Amy's engagement party that's coming up, and I'm just stressing because everything is either too expensive or not in my size. So anyway, that is my dream shop. I love that place so well, not really officewear, but just sort of Oh there's some nice office stuff there too. Hopefully one day I will actually purchase from there. Sorry, I love this question that's just popped up. If you were having a movie made about you, who would you want to play you? Oh see, I feel like we've spoken about this quite a bit. Min It sounds really arrogant when you're like, I think this is it's definitely Margot Rubbie. But it's not saying they look like you. It's saying, who would you want to play you? We'll just Margo Robbie just to boost my own e even though it looks anything like her, But I think it would be more Anna Kendrick that would play so well. Might not be Mena Savari, So I've got tickets in herself. But she has been told she looks like her by a couple of people. Did I tell you guys?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: I think I might have told this story, But how when I was in Amsterdam and Kendrick was there at the same time, and I was hoping to run into her because I ran into what's his name from Home and Away the alf Stewards our stewart. So I was like, oh, we're going to see Anna Kendrick as well. Do you know what's funny when you do listen to a podcast and don't really know what the people look like that well, and you do have an image of them in your head. I wonder if, because we've said that, we've been recognized as Anna Kendrick a few times where the people imagine us looking like her when they listened. Wait, okay, that's just well, no one can tell our voices. It passed. You know what. When I first started listening to Shameless, I used to imagine and I think I can't remember if it was Michelle or Zara. I think it was Michelle. I used to imagine her looking like Summer from Neighbors, Remember to the girl really the one with the fringe? Isn't that weird? Did you hear they were talking about how someone came up to Zara and was like, oh my god, it's Michelle Andrews and she's like, no, like you'd really look like her? And She's like nah, did you guys see that Zara got proposed to engage on the weekend? I did. That was very exciting and actually had a very unique ring and I was beautiful. But I'm thinking I hope she asked for that. I swear on the podcast, I heard her say that she loves opals. Look, I don't think her partner's going to go out and pick such a unique looking ring. It suits her style so well, so I think it's something she's clearly made some Pinterest bored and that's what she wanted. I wonder if she was involved in the designing process, because Michelle did joke that Zara is the Oracle, and then there were a few comments under the post where the like where Zara said, oh did the Oracle know about this, kind of referring that she knew, and then everyone's like, your fresh nails suggests that you did know. I feel like though in friendship groups once and it's kind of like with us, once one gets engaged, it's like a domino effect. I feel like they're in that stage of their life. There's a lot of influencer weddings and then also like podcaster weddings coming up, so like Victoria Devine's getting married soon. I think Michelle Andrews is as well. Jar Dae Tunci. I cannot wait for all the weddings there. It's so exciting. Now there's another question that I thought was quite interesting. It's do you girls tell each other everything? Or is there some things you keep priving? We should ask our partners this because like I remember, like Dale would get upset that you had told us something at family dinner and Reese's like, really, it's so obvious that they tell each other everything. Okay, hopefully Dale doesn't listen to this, But it's so funny because we've been spending the whole weekend just like cleaning up, as we said on Friday's episode, getting ready for the engagement party. And we have this spare room and it's just becoind of this like dumping ground, and to be fair, like I have stuff in there, but mostly it's Dale's close because we've got a built in wardrobe that's where he puts all his clothes. Well, they weren't in there there on the ground from the picture I got sent, So I took a photo because I'm like, I'm going to clean it up. Becausedale has been doing so much work outside. I'm like, I'll clean up this room because his sister's coming over. So I took it before photo, and then I took it after. And I was telling Dale about it because he was thanking me so much for cleaning, and I was like, oh, did you see the before photo? And he's like, why did you take it before photo? I was like, oh, I just always take it before and after when I clean like things like this, and he's like, did you send it to your sisters? And I was like, I was like I did, and he's like, don't send that stuff. It makes me look like a pig. Yeah. I feel like we do tell each other most things. There are some boundaries like, I don't know, we're all a bit weird. I don't want to hear about your sex lives and such. Oh yeah, like some people do. Some sisters and friends do talk about that. But and it's sort of like, for instance, we will go to the toilet in front of each but I'd never shower and just have one if you stand there, you know, Yeah, we don't have to get in front of each time. I don't if i'd care as much anymore, because I feel like we just you know, I'm a cubity. That was embarrassing. Yeah, but I do know. It's just something that's like that's just private. Like there's some things that are private. But did go in with you to get a spray tan Kate? That was yeah, we're going to get one soon again together. Okay, well maybe we will see each other nude. Well, if you'd like to come, maybe there's a deal for Yeah, you're trying to get mone I just need a third person. Thirty five bucks, say five dollars, pretty cheap. Yeah, so it's originally it's always forty is well, there's there's a different deals available. Someone asked favorite episode you have recorded. This one's tricky because we've actually recorded over three hundred episodes now. I'm trying to think of one that stands out.
Speaker 2: There's definitely iconic ones.
Speaker 1: I remember when we recorded the Chloe Zepp canceled episode that one went off. There's one episode that I remember that we recorded about Sarah's days Moroccan pillows. And it's not so much it's not so much the episode itself. It was the arguing that went on before because there was some differing opinions about it and Basically I had a different opinion to everyone, and we ended up going more with my opinion after I had to persuade you guys that you guys were not on the money. Thought about every time we've done, like say, we've had an episode that's really controversial. So there was that one we did on Sophie Casia and then she put something up on Instagram and it was like totally incorrect what she said, and then we did a rebuttal to it. We had so many of those where like Kate will come and she was like, Okay, I've got some dog points here and she went off on this big tangent and it was like so like like just sounded so bitchy. Sophie. I was like, we cannot put this out to record record, so we so I just scrapped it, like we cannot, so we rect off your chest. To remember when the whole like Kyle sandal it, well, it wasn't actually Kyle that made the comment, Bruno, the whole shameless sort of debarcle. I remember we recorded this episode that went for ages where we really and we had unloaded it and everything, and I remember I listened and I was like, this cannot go there. Even Mum was like, my probably actually do you know what another old like another favorite of mine was remember that House of White Women? Olivia Olivia and she came out with those terrible those classes that were shaped like bodies. It was based on her mother, wasn't it. And she's had this big sob story.
Speaker 2: About her mum.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it ended up that they were from like Ali Barba that she was selling title of that. It was like it was like Olivia White's. So I've got a question, do you think you'll ever do this full time? Expand the business? So I this is okay. I would love to do this full time. It is my aim unless keates employers. If my employees are listening, no that's not correct, but yeah, no this it is my goal to make this a full time job. I'm a bit more of the hustler at the moment in terms of trying to secure ads. Well you've got the time, I've got yeah, well it's work well, so that we would love to sort of combine who media without spoken and then all be working together because I think like it would obviously be amazing to have a full time, full time podcast, but we have all these other interests as well. We love doing pr and we love videography work, and I feel like they all sort of flow into each other. And I personally would love to work on a few spinoff podcasts that aren't necessarily about influencers. We are journalists and I think we would like to. You know, there's a lot of different ideas that we've got. At the moment, we can only facilitate the two episodes a week, but we really would if we did make it full time, would like to go above and beyond and create more episodes for people. I mean, as you said, like we're journalists to our current affair types topics would interest us doing a little bit more of that sort of stuff too, And even it would be great to have more time because then we could film episodes and do more with our TikTok and have more fun with that. But as you said, it's hard because we all do have full time jobs. We did recently get signed with ARN and just to explain that, I think people don't really know we're still an independent podcast, but we have got them on board to help us secure ads. So basically what happens is we have their ads team essentially working for us. And then they take a cut of the profit, and so when you do hear ads on our podcast, essentially we're getting a very small amount of money for them per one thousand listens. So that's just a little bit of background of how that works. But it has to be listened to the full thing. So it's like if you if you could listen to it, that'd be great, but that's essentially how we are able to monetize the podcast. This one's quite funny. Have your fiances ever mistaken you for one of the other girls? I don't think that's actually happened, so I think we've spoken about this before. But for people that don't know Sophie's fiance, Brandon, he actually used to work with me. He was my intern at work, so he met me first, then he met Amy, and then he met Sophie. So I think he's always been able to tell who's who. I mean. At the time, Amy and I both had brown hair and Sophie had blonde hair, so it was pretty easy. With Reese again, I used to work with him and also with Brandon, so it's quite funny. And I don't I think because he met me first, I don't think they get as mixed up, like I think it's when you met us all in one go, but it's a bit confused. I think there was one time, wasn't it where Reese thought I was you because I had glasses. So we were driving home from family dinner and I had glasses on and he turned to me and for a second thought, I was Amy. Someone else has asked what's your advice to people in the early twenties. I was having think about this, and one big piece of advice would be, I know it sounds silly, but to wear sunscreen every day. So I mean, this is going to sound like a humble brag, but I went to the dermatologist and we often get told that we look a lot younger than we are, and I think it is down to actually wearing suncream. Like she was like, oh my god, I can't believe, like what good quality your skin is. And I've always won suncream. I mean it wasn't in my early twenties. I think I started when I was twenty five, but our mum was quite on it when it came to putting sun cream on. My piece of advice would be for someone in the early twenties is just to have fun because I feel like I just stressed about so many things, and now looking back, I wish that I just kind of taken a chance with things as well. We were talking to our little cousin about how he wants to go and work overseas and travel more, and I wish I did do more traveling and didn't get so caught up in you know, career, and like dickhead guys in saying that I wish we bought a house because when we first moved out of home, when we were like twenty four to twenty five, there was talk of buying a house. But then so if your stupid boyfriend at the time with.
Speaker 3: The earn eating bayah, I was going to say, my advice would be even like if you say you're at UNI, or if you've got a job having a side hustle and earning a little bit of extra income.
Speaker 1: That then you can save up to buy a house. I wish I worked more when I was at UNI, Yes, but then again, when I look back, it was such fun time, like we always used to go play tennis together and sleep in and you're never going to have time like that again. So I suppose you've got to enjoy it while you can. But even just being like clever, like it doesn't have to be something like your side hustle, doesn't have to be something that's boring. It could be like selling stuff on Facebook marketplace, like clipping stuff. Now I'm being serious because you can actually make some serious money and then you can invest it. And another tip is to be on top of your health, like even now. I mean I probably ten years ago got diagnosed I had like low iron and was iron de fishent and anemia, and I didn't really do anything about it until now that I'm thirty three. I'm getting an iron infusion next week because my iron is that bad. And I just think about, you know, my symptoms are obviously being in a bad mood, being irritable, like feeling weak great, and I just think I've wasted all this time where I could have just felt good if I got on top. I've wasted all this typing.
Speaker 2: A bitch.
Speaker 1: On the topic of skin. Another one is don't sleep in your makeup. I used to always do that because I'm not a makeup because I remember, like I wouldn't want to be seen in the morning with my dickhead ex boyfriend so I used to like sleep in making, but it's really bad for your skin. On the topic of dickhead boys, I think like if the guy isn't putting effort into set updates with you, to like stop stopping everything, you can know someone's interested that movie, he's just not that into you. It's so true, Like I'd always be like, why these why they suddenly don't care? As they don't, Can I.
Speaker 2: Somehow trick them into replying is they're away.
Speaker 1: It's also hard though, because you've got to remember when you, like when we were in our early twenties, boys don't really want a girlfriend, like they want to like play the field. And it's sort of it's like on Sex in the City when they say when their light is on, like when a guy wants to be in a relationship, you're going to know about it because he's going to make a lot of effort. My last sort of piece of wisdom for people in their twenties is also not to think that thirty is the end. I remember for so long being so scared of turning thirty, and it is really a privilege to age. And also you should have so much sage. I have to remind you of this all the time. So if you're so dooming gloms, like next year we're going to be thirty four, And I said, it's actually like you're so lucky to you know, potentially be though all thing that, like, there's so many older women who have such great advice. I mean, I love listening to mom you're out loud because you know, the women in their fifties have actually experienced a lot of stuff, and they have such a better view and there's so much more educated. I think it's the thing is when you get into the workplace and you're suddenly working with people in their fifties or sixties or forties or whatever, you realize that everyone's just the same shit together. Yeah, nobody does. I think also, you don't change, you don't become a different person just because your age is a different number. I think it's also I suppose when you get in your thirties, it's kind of a bit more scary as a woman because there's that like, you know, reminder of oh, I need to have kids if you want kids, or that kind of thing. So that bit can be scary, but you've got to realize that that's the next exciting stage of your life. Yeah, So the last question we're going to answer today is how does having a fiance who eats meat work for a vegetarian? So the three of us are vegetarian loosely a little bit pescatarian. I will eat some fish. I think, are you eating fish at the moment? So no, I do eat fish, but I've kind of been off it. Yeah, I don't love but I will have salmon. I'm trying to eat a bit more salmon. So it's pretty good for me because Reese and I basically cook all our meals together, but we work out like a vegetarian version and a meat version. So like if we have, say a stir fry, Reese will cook his chicken separately and he'll add it in. Or I mean, Reese's pretty good. Like last night we just had roast veggies and he didn't have any meat, but he could have added a steak. So I think there's alternatives that you can just work with your partner and making meals and if they want to add meat in, it's pretty easy. See I'm different. Brandon is a country boy. He only eats meat. He hates vegetarian stuff. He has all these lists of vegetables.
Speaker 2: That he doesn't eat.
Speaker 1: So we just cook separately, as in we'd have separate dinners, but we'll cook together.
Speaker 2: But it is kind of shit because sometimes.
Speaker 1: You know, you want to night off from cooking, or it's you know, cheaper to cook together. So it is something that's frustrating and something that will potentially change when we do have kids, because you can't be running around cooking all these different meals. No, what about you, Amy, well Dale and I we generally cook separately. Well Dale's been pescatarian for most of your relationships. Sheat's chicken now. But like, for example, if we're having pastor, we'll probably like both cook different passes. I like to have that lentil pasta sometimes. But yeah, we just generally cook our own meals, but we probably need to get more into actually cooking meals to see. I would just find that so annoying because at least, as like with recent Eye, one will cook one night, one will cook the other night. And you can take it in terms because I just it's I love cooking, like I love baking and making desserts, but I'm not a massive fan of cooking like main meals. Well, thank you, so much for listening to part two of our Q and A. We will be back to regular programming on Friday. If you did enjoy the podcast, please leave us a five star review and don't forget to join in on all the conversations in our Facebook group which is Outspoken the Podcast Community, and make sure to follow us on TikTok and Outspoken the Podcast and we're also on Instagram under the same handle. This podcast was recorded on the land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Planes. We pay respect to their elders, past and press