Speaker 1: Welcome to you. Waitne say nothing yet. In the movie podcast, we're our chut to a movie lover about a classical beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian ray O Leary.
Speaker 2: All below. I want to stay here with you, the jobble, Why hate snake shucked? Why?
Speaker 3: Ray?
Speaker 1: They wouldn't happening right now? You ain't seen nothing new. Today's guest ray Leary is a comedy juggernaut on the rise, The Juggernaut Rise Up. Maybe I've stuffed that up already, but anyway, ray O Leary is absolutely delight the watch. He's been seducing an audience with his appearance on have You Been Paying Attention? He's a Kiwi and Keywi's listening well know He's written for seven Days. He's appeared on Seven Days Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont's Spelling Bee, which is an excellent show on the ABC in Australia at the moment and also over in New Zealand Patriot Brains. He's been in more recently Thank God You're Here, where it was quite brilliant for the cheap seats. He is on all the TV shows right now. He's easy to catch. He's everywhere. He came over to New Zealand. I would say he's been in four or five years. Time is a tricky thing post COVID, but I would put it at about four or five years. He's done a series of Task Master in New Zealand. He's on tour at the moment. He's one of my favorite Suan names all time. I think your laughter is only making me stronger. I saw the show in Brisbane. We were doing back to back shows. I was on first and Ray mentioned he was coming on to my show and I said, well, snap, I want to come along to yours. Yeah, I love this show. Hopefully he enjoyed mine, but I love this show. We had to be here afterwards. He was excited about heading off to Edinburgh, and I believe that's gone really well for Hi. If you won the Best Newcomer at the twenty sixteen Wealth and Comedy Awards, He's nominated for the prestigious Billy Tea Award twenty seventeen. He studied philosophy. He's funny, he's kind and I'm bloody stoked he'd be hanging with him today.
Speaker 4: Hello, my name is Ray Leary. My three favorite films are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Dear mister Burne. We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday and detention for whatever it was we did wrong, But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. Can you see us as you want to see us? In the simplest terms were the most convenient definitions, But what we found out is that each one of us is a breen and an athlete and a basket case, a process and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely, yours, Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Toy Story three.
Speaker 1: Al Right, guys, we got one shot at this.
Speaker 5: Everyone ready, Ready, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Make the call.
Speaker 6: Target is on approach, just like we rehearsed it. Guys, Hello and Jojo Rabbit looking.
Speaker 1: Fetching as usually.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's because of you.
Speaker 1: My son can't walk properly and has a messed up face.
Speaker 3: Still yeah, yeah, So you are going to look after him while I'm at work.
Speaker 1: Make sure he has a job and feels included. Got it? Got it? Really, Cotton?
Speaker 4: And up until this week, I've never seen the French film Amiie.
Speaker 1: Oh so French Armie lives in montmart Paris, well in the much cleaner, romantic, idealistic montmart Paris, which may or may not exist largely in our protagonist's head. An only child who lost her mother under tragic, hilarious circumstances, her father keeps her at arms distance, leading to a misdiagnosis of a heart condition. As news breaks of Princess Diana's death, Armiie discovers a tin box containing a nostalgic treasure trove kept within the wall of her apartment. Armiie decides to track down the owner of this tin box to test her abilities as a guardian angel of sorts. Bursting in the cinemas in two thousand and one, the world fell in love with not only the character of Armillie, but also the sooux fle of a film coming off He's Not Awesome Hollywood Experience in Alien Resurrection French icon Jean Pierre Jeannette Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, returns home chuck, full of ideas and inspiration, and seems to relish the freedoms his hometown affords him. Nominated for five Oscars, written by Guellam Laurent and Jean Pierre Jeannet, Everything About Amie is stylish, romantic and nostalgic. Ray O Leary, question, how many people do you think right now are having all orgasms? Ballpark Figure, World Park Figure.
Speaker 4: It's it's crazy how romantic the film makes that question, see which it's on the roof that tries to evesdrop on everyone having six of the sea.
Speaker 1: And I would be surprised if, at any time of day in Paris, if you'd asked that question, if fifteen was a genuine answer, I feel like fifteen hundred at the minimum would be the case. It would be the case, ray O Lary, thank you so much for joining us on. You ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 4: No, no, thank you so much for having me. Peter, hell are you?
Speaker 1: And for those who are only listening, which is basically how we do this podcast. We sometimes I have some clips You're in the suit and I was wondering. I was almost excited. I saw you hiking in Edinburgh with Melanie Bracewell in a casual outfit. Yes, you are addressed for success.
Speaker 4: You've got the character, to Ray Larry, mel she gets to see the real behind the suit. You see just an artifice, a stage persona.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to catch up with Melon the next time. I'm going to ask you what's he like?
Speaker 4: He drops the voice, he speaks normally, no accent Scottish.
Speaker 1: It's a mate. Yes, thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: No no, no, thank you for having me. I think I've seen this to you before. But it's a genuine honor because you know, growing up in New Zealand, I used to watch you know Rove live and so you know, what she knew was a sort of you know, a big influence on my on my comedy. You know, you've got a lot to answer for it. You've ruined my life.
Speaker 1: We did do a gig recently, well back to back gigs. We shows in Brisbane at the Powerhouse. Had fun. I loved your show. Oh thank you, thank congratulations on all the touring and you've been this guy back from Edinburgh.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, thank you, thank you in congrats to you as well. You've obviously you've I know, last time I spoke, you were going to Sydney and around New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Wrapped up the tour for now and off to treat the boards in the theater. Her oh her in a Starcatcher Disney production. Tickets on sale now. Myself Colin Lane, it's a cracker against a.
Speaker 4: Cracker, but yes, no, thank you, thank you, sort of an elder statesman of comedy.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate I appreciate that rogue. It's funny because Rove Live was so kind of big in a weird way. I've had to explain it to a couple of people over here, because it was big on a street around for ten years here, and it was a big show here, but there was something else going on with it in New Zealand. I went over there road to come back from doing a promotional tour and he almost like the blood of drained from his face. How was it? He goes, they really love it. I love it. They love it kind of hard, you know. And I went over there not long after that, and I kind of saw it. It was just it was on a Friday night over there, so I often went up against the Rugby League and often beat the Rugby League on a Friday night, and I would literally walk around this and I was doing some shows over there as well. I remember hearing people say tonight, I'm going home to watch live and they didn't know I was in airshot. It was just kind of weirdly not necessarily weirdly, but it was a big show over there.
Speaker 4: But was it I mean I'm trying to you know, cast my memory back, but was it. I mean, it can't have been that like Australia specific. There was like you had international guests and things like that.
Speaker 1: Big international guests, and we didn't sketches. It wasn't, you know, and we often crossed to Australian suburbs and stuff, but it wasn't. It wasn't. We weren't trying to make it Australian. And I think once we're on New Zealand and once you know, we did respect that idea. And I think occasionally we would cross in New Zealand or we would have a New Zealand flavor and there as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, like I remember, you know, Hamish and Andy would have a segment. I remember Carry Bichmore would do than News. I remember I still remember a monologue that Road did about emojis. I think that was that was the new thing emos.
Speaker 1: You talk about. I mean it's crazy. I mean, that's what it's great about comedy. Comedy becomes a time capsule, you know, you can I mean I still remember writing an SMS joke when it was it's pretty edgy, right, but let's Amilee, I'm fascinated. I thought, why not. You know, it's one of the most romantic films ever made, and I thought who better to get along to talk about this film and that the lover boy himself. Now, I sent you the list, as I do with most of my guests, and you came back with a few. I think the Manchurian Canada that was there, which has been nominated a few times recently. We haven't quite got to it.
Speaker 4: Sliding Doors was enough.
Speaker 1: Sliding, which I thought, okay, Sliding Doors or Armie, And basically we haven't covered a lot of foreign language films, so I thought Armie might be a good place. But what do you know about Armie?
Speaker 4: What did I know? It's like you? So again, obviously I've never seen it, and I think I had gotten this impression that it was sort of the maybe sort of the core identity of a lot of queer key people, like especially a quirky woman. I think, like I think it was like a very And I also thought it was quite a divisive film. I thought it was like a film that you either loved it or you hated it, so I thought it, but looking at I looked at the reviews after watching, and it's basically universally beloved. But my expectation going in is it there's a good chance I could hate this, and there's a good chance I could love it. And yeah, but it felt like it had that sort of I don't know, Zoe Dishanell like, you know, that kind of vibe that she was bringing you the Manic Pixie dream girl time. Yes, And I had spoken to comedian Josh Earl in the morning before I watched it, and he was He mentioned one of the scenes to me about how the cinema scene where she turns around and watches all the people in the movies, and I was thinking, oh Christ, this.
Speaker 1: Is it too late for sliding Doors be a sliding doors moment. Well, I'm fascinated to see where we get to with Armily. But you're absolutely right, without going too far back into it, it came at a time both I think stylistically nine to eleven. Yeah, it interested to know was it release after nine to eleven. I'll see if I can find them find that out, because it would have been a film that the world craved. I think it is.
Speaker 4: It is such a kind film. It is it is that's baked into it and the we'll get to it, but the coloring and stuff it So anyway.
Speaker 1: There's so much on every level of detail with that. Let's talk your three favorite films. They're good ones. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Now, I always so whenever someone asked me what is your favorite film, I always say The Breakfast Club and then I will always give them that sentence to follow and they say, they'll say, so, what's your favorite film? And I say The Breakfast Club and then it's But I think I'm trying to think of I do really enjoy it, and I think maybe it came at a time like I watched it when I was a teenager, you know, and I think it's still felt like it translated to me, you know. I kind of love it. It's it's interesting, and maybe it has that Arma Lee kind of vibe and the sense that Armily is not how ABU did I describe it? Maybe would it be fair to say that Armi is not exactly plot driven, like it's it's.
Speaker 1: Such a simple film, Armily, And I guess what you're saying is the Breakfast Clubies is very similar with not a lot happens, but a lot happens.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, Yeah, And I really love that about the breakfast club or like, I you know, there's something so sweet and wholesome to it, and I almost I would. I've read about it, and there's something like I heard that maybe the scene where the jock talks about I think maybe beating up the nerds and like sellotaping their ass cheeks together or whatever. You know, there's big emotional reveal at the end. I've heard maybe that was improvised or something. I remember getting mad reading about there being sort of like this beautiful scene that I love. It was not meticulously planned, you know, a litt almost, but there's just something about I think it was watching it in that teenage state. And I mean not that I was a particular you know, I had plenty of friends. I wasn't you know, a basket case, but I you know, it wasn't like I was having this huge fight with my parents or anything like that. But it's just something I don't know, it speaks. It speaks to being a teenager, and I think I saw it at the exact right time, and I've just always loved it.
Speaker 1: I'm the same. I think it hits very differently if you watch it as a team, you know, without being too dramatic about it. When I saw it, I'm like, yeah, this film sees me, you know, an American high school, which they were quite vastly different Australian imagine New Zealand high schools.
Speaker 4: Yes, my high school was two hundred people. We didn't have enough people to have jocks and basket and princesses and stuff. It was just it was either you're kind of cool, you're kind of a loser. There was there was and even then by the end of it, you know, no one gave, you know, no one cared about all that stuff. But yeah, no, yeah, I think I get the feeling that our high schools, the Australasian high schools, are a lot less of a vicious like you know those places of the wild West.
Speaker 1: You know, absolutely, And I'm the same. I don't think I fit neatly into any of the categories. Maybe princess, I saw you put on lipstick before it was balm. It was barm o wary and that was an off air thing. So but it's funny, like Mark Anthony Hall is so funny in that, and so you know when he talks about the little lamp that he made, when what they call it would.
Speaker 4: Work or something else, the only class is failing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and the lamp wouldn't come on and he considered maybe killing himself. It's it's great. Judd Nelson's great. Molly Ring would have of course, and everyone's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The principles great, the principles. Yeah, the scene where they get high, and I love the dance they do to the you know, it's everything about it. And I think also maybe the slow reveal of I mean this is maybe it's sort of cliche filmmaking, but I loved it of Judd Nelson's character, you know, where you're like, Okay, this guy's a jerk, and the slow reveal of his home life and you're like, oh no, this guy has a real troubled background and he does have that heart of gold kind of thing. Yeah, just you know, been through so much with his dad and stuff. It's just I love that. The smoke up Johnny scene, you know, you know, you know what we got in the Bender Household for Christmas. Yeah, and he talks about having a cigarette burned into his arm or whatever happens. It's just yeah, I think it came at the right time, and we're actually very lucky that I saw that one first, because I had a very similar feeling about the film High School Musical three. So they could have seen that one first. We could have been very easily in a different conversation.
Speaker 1: I think High School Musical, and it might have been two or three. I don't think it was the original one has come up in some of his favorite films, like really, I remember who maybe m Rosciano.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean the first one. I remember the third one. It was my final year at high school as well, and also Troy and Gabriella and the whole game they were graduating. You know, go Wildcats, Wildcats.
Speaker 1: There's a film with Goldie horn In. I would hazard a guess between maybe I would say eighty five, which was good Wildcats and they were she was the female coach of this team and she's only given the job as nobody else wanted it, and yeah, of course then succeed and good film, good eighties film, A great pick, The Breakfast Club. Let's go on to Toy Story three.
Speaker 4: Yes, a habit of trilogies with me. I think again, I just remember it being a phenomenal film when I first watched it. Maybe I've only seen it once or twice since I haven't. It's one of those films where you think it's over sort of, I mean, similar to the Shawshank Redemption, Like we think the film's ended, and then there's another, you know, another climactic scene, like I think they managed to escape the kindergarten, and you think it's over, and then they go to the dump and that I mean, this is huge spoilers for Toy Story three, but there's a scene at the end when you genuinely think all the toys are going to die. You genuinely believe in a Disney film they're about to kill off every single character, and you genuinely believe it, and then they you get say and it's just I don't know. It was again, it was that thing of you know Toy Story one and two. You know I would have watched when I was younger, and then you've aged Andy up and you know he's leaving home to go to UNI, and I was in a similar age, and so again it's you know, heading at the right time. I think an element of that and it is I don't know how you feel. It is a bit of a shame they keep releasing. I mean, I do think Swoy Story four is a good film, but there was I just felt like it was such a perfect ending, you know, and I do you do worry about it cheapening.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who agrees with you. Oh, Quentin Tarantina. He literally has said, very similar guy, Yeah, very similar guys. Often you see Quentin in the gray suit. But he he said he hasn't even seen for and I haven't seen for. And I think subconsciously I've made the same choice where I'm like, this is a perfect trilogy of films with the perfect ending. It's not just that. I think Toy Story three and very few in a trilogy where you would say where the third film is the bear? But I think you could make that argument with Toy Story three. Why would you go back? Yes, like, I haven't seen for and I have heard it. It's fine, yes, yeah, yeah, And that's the issue is it's fine, Yes, yes, absolutely right.
Speaker 4: It was horrible. There's something funny about it. Ever was amazing. You're like, okay, thank god they keep doing it. But it's just fine. Yeah, you know, it's just okay, so you know they're still around or whatever.
Speaker 1: There's another other franchises. I think Pixark can play with. Nobody cares if you keep making cars films, we understand, and that's one. But you know that's all Warmark connected. We understand that. But maybe Leaf Toy story. Yes alone.
Speaker 4: You say you don't know why they keep making it, but I do think there is a very simple artswer.
Speaker 1: I wonder why Disney keeps producing films, films that make a lot of money, if only we can put a finger on it.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, do you find it stressful? I mean, I don't know if you'd seen Have you seen Amily?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yes, I saw it when it came out.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, yes. I was going to say, do you find it stressful? Pecking films for people to watch.
Speaker 1: Well, it's all he's kind of done in conjunction. So I often say pick a few, hence Mentoring Canada and Sony DAWs came up for you, and there's a long list. There's a lot of films, so I've always kind of encouraged him if there's one that you really want to watch. It kind of a bit embarrassed you haven't seen us, but you know, we've done over nearly one hundred and six hundred and seventy episodes, so there's still a lot of films we haven't done yet.
Speaker 4: That list was so long, and I was shocked with how few I had seen.
Speaker 1: Some people's some people cavelis, I've seen everything, you know, but I'm not sure if he's actually seen the list. I'm sure that he won. He went straight to jug if Tony Martin the film he did, Top Gun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tony Martin hadn't seen Top Guy. Know, he I just had Have you been with him? And like basically every time I've shared a green room with him, he talks about films. He was talking about DVDs and blu rays and like he's got.
Speaker 1: Tony Martin is on my keeping the blue ray dv industry afloat. There's no doubt about that. No, that was that was an honor to have Tony and a surprise that when he film was so per Top Gun. I know, because even as pop culturally you'd be a cross. I guess you don't have to see Top Gun to be kind of a cross. They did shows, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it's just I for I Forgure, which birthday. It was a couple of years ago. I wanted I love musicals, and I went to go see the movie in the Heights. I wanted to see that film, which is a Meloel Miranda film, and I remember my friends were sitting there to watch it with me. Very nice of them, but I remember as the lights were coming down, my friend next to me said, two and a half hours when the lights came down.
Speaker 1: We had a similar experience with my wife, Bridge, who does not love sitting down for too long. We rarely will watch a movie at home together, generally if we are because we're having a very lazy Sunday, maybe we've been out at night before, or it's a rainy kind of day. It takes something like that to for her to watch it, and we rarely go to the movies even these days, so we often watch serious lots of television to get us, which weirdly you often end up sitting down for it as long you can get up once every forty five minutes and do something and then come back. But I took her to see Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf the MTC production, because I was keen to see it. We both love cat Stewart, and I didn't know much about it. I hadn't seen the film. I've seen it for Yan from Trump. We watched it for this podcast, but really didn't know too much about I knew it was kind of set around like I thought it was like a dinner party scene, but it's a married couple anyway. And we go to take our seats and I see somebody who i'd met a couple of times before at the MCC, which is the Melbourne Cricket Club, when I've been at the Cricket of the football and she says hello, and did you said to my wife? And just as the lights go down, she goes, you know, it's three hours, it's three three intervals, and the lights of comically came down and my wife would have got been walked out it was any earlier, I think she certainly wouldn't have gone. But we were chatting about last night actually, and I said, are you happy that you went? And yeah, I really am. I said, you said, cat was amazing, But I wouldn't have never would have gone by to night. It is that long and there's two intervals, not three, but yeah.
Speaker 4: That's yes, there's a I just finished watching the show the Other Two, which is this phenomenal American comedy, and they there's an episode where they go to a play that one of their boyfriends is in it it's about AIDS, and when they get there they realize how long the film is. I think they're on the players. I think it was for about six hours or something. And they got into mission it's about the start, and then it AIDS. And then they go up and part two of the play will continue tomorrow, and everyone goes, oh. They all are obliged to keep going because the players about AIDS, and they don't. They don't want to seem disrespectful, but no one has enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: When Harry Potter was doing the Two Years, part one and part two and and and then they eventually went, Okay, we're going to merge it all into one. Let's talk You're you're a key way so they had to be Jojo Rabbit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, this one, this one is more of a wild card. This is because I should admit I think I'm similar to your wife, Like I'm not a big movie guy like I I mean, obviously you know I like movies, but it's always TV shows for me. I love TV series. It's the thing I always put on them at home and I want to watch something, and I was so I was struggling. I was trying to remember, like I've done a podcast on movies before where they asked me my top four and I was trying to remember. I was like, what did I say? Then? I definitely toy story three in Breakfast Club to come up. And I do recall saying Jojo Rabbit to them as well, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna go I'm gonna go down and hunt this da. It's a different answer. I'm gonna be furious, but Joe, I again that. I mean, it's the reason why it came to mind. I think is just at the time. Again, it was a film when I saw it, and it was so I guess, so powerful. I remember, I mean, I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but I just remember finding like some of the scenes, like when you see the red shoes and it's just so full on. I remember having a like a moment in the bathroom afterwards, being like, oh, well that was quite intense, and I think a guy recognized me in the bathroom and started talking to me. I was like, this is not the time I'm just trying to process some emotions here, Like I loved Oh, they'll get a selfie after. And obviously it's always great to see a film where Hitler's portrayed positively. It's finally, finally, not since Hitler was making those films. Girls, you're not being betrayed out positively that film on paper, and I know it was a book, but I think Tiger did take some you know, some liberties and and and his own stuff that was and I think Hitler as a character what maybe wasn't in the book. So I think I'm sorry if I'm wrong. Let me let us know. On paper, it seems crazy. And the thing I really enjoyed Joe Rabber. But the thing I like it just as much is the fact that it was made that a studio went, yeah, we'll back this in.
Speaker 4: Yes we'll get a we'll get a crazy New Zealander to play a person of color, to play a Jewish guy to play Hitler, like a cartoony, fun, friendly Hitler who wants to like hang out with his little best friend and stuff. And so yeah, it is really really good this. I know there's a lot of backlash on Twitter about it. I mean again, I haven't seen the film in such you know, since it came out, so I can't speak to any specifics.
Speaker 1: But do you mean ex formally Twitter?
Speaker 4: Yes? X. Sorry so I know you're a big musk hed.
Speaker 1: Sorry. Still I still love that every time you see Twitter a report on Twitter, Yes, it's still X in brackets formally Twitter. I still don't know for a man who's supposed to be I imagine has lots of marketing money behind him in nouse the rebranding of Twitter that X makes no sense.
Speaker 4: It's so bad. No one is going x X is too common a letter. No one. No one is like, oh yeah, X, of course X. I use X all the time I've been posting on It was such a crazy, crazy decision. But also I wonder if it makes sense to like, because then it creates sort of like you're either with us or against us kind of mentality. Like I feel like Twitter's become even more, you know, divided between the left and the right, and you know, like now when you have a blue chechnique to your name, that's sort of a symbol that you're you know, you like Elon Musk or whatever you like. Certain but still in every single news report. Everyone, every journalist is like, it's silly to call it. Ever, even I think we've got to refer to.
Speaker 1: A porn side or something. There's been three or so years now at a guess you think that should be enough time for it, like not to have to have formerly Twitter. But the fact that people are still writing that, and also when you tweet something it was it seems so integrated in the name. You said that an X, I exed you, I ex you, I do exed you. What's the backlash about Joe?
Speaker 4: I think I've seen people describe the film as evil, and I suspect it's to do with the portrayal of Hitler, but I'm not super and maybe because in the actually no, maybe in the book it's worse. I think in the film, you know, he keeps the Jewish girl or the woman. I figured if she's a Jewish, the woman taking refuge at least from the Nazis is played by a New Zealander she Maybe they think there's something toxic there about I mean, I guess it is toxically. He kind of keeps it even though she doesn't need to be there.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah that or is that?
Speaker 4: Or is that me misremembering based on tweets I've seen about the book. Anyway, now my memory is all on the phone to speak to your fellow countrymen.
Speaker 1: Three great movies. I haven't seen Jojo for a while. I should go back and back into that one. Let's talk about the film we are here to talk about today. The song.
Speaker 5: What is you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: The Lerida participants people.
Speaker 1: She married soon passed.
Speaker 5: So said when I leave you on Ladesh, if was to get because you put to shell? Yeah, babacky ya get well.
Speaker 1: But no need.
Speaker 5: Just in What's placed?
Speaker 1: You see a really very quick translation.
Speaker 4: Please I didn't what was she fringe?
Speaker 1: It doesn't. I'm surprised. At the end of the film, I thought, wow, this is a French film. I didn't have no idea that was Emily helping the blind man across the road and pointing everything out.
Speaker 4: I was going to guess that. I thought so based on how quickly she was speaking. This is the only and but you know, I thought French people, they began every sentence with how do you say so? So it was a real learning opportunity for me.
Speaker 1: It was always part of my French and then into it, which I have to say a lot, let's get into it. Directed by Jean Pierre Janet, Legend of French cinema from two thousand and one, starring Audrey to Tao as Amie, Paulaine Rayal Larry. Did you enjoy Amie.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to say I did not enjoy Armale, and I feel like such a philistine for saying it. I will say I went and not expecting to enjoy it. I saw the runtime and I thought, oh Christ and then and then I put the film on and subtitles came up, and I thought, oh, I'm going to really have to lock watch it.
Speaker 1: I can't look at anything else. I was really curious watching this because I thought it's really kind of captured the imagination of the world. It's one of the biggest French films of AUTI and it kind of like cut through, nominated for five Oscars, you know, the zion work kind of works kind of on every level. But if you don't connect with that character, then you might be a bit at sea. But I was wondering because Armile is an innocent in this case like this in the tradition of a forest gunt. More recently, Emma Stone in and You your stage can. I was thinking on the way here is kind of is kind of like you play this kind of innocent who's just like, you know, making his way through the world and having these observations, you know. And I thought maybe Ray could really connect with this film. We might watch, but obviously you haven't done.
Speaker 4: I always feel opposite watching your comment, like this is quite a malicious on the line this is and he's a scrooge type of character.
Speaker 1: Well. One of the things, one of the things I do like about the character Emily is you see that it's not just sweetness and kindness, you know, if she doesn't like you, like the grocer and the neighborhood. With the mention of wor Cup, she disconnects the TV at Expirements and with the grocer who's not very nice at all to his coworker, who's perhaps on the simpler side of intellect. Perhaps she goes you know, she goes into his apartment and basically tortures him with little micro you aggressions.
Speaker 4: Yes, I must say, when she put her hand on the grains, I was like, that does look nice?
Speaker 1: Are there? Things like?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Was one of the big things about it as well, though I really enjoyed them. Those things that you know, they get to know a quick little bio of somebody he likes, he dislikes. What would your likes and dislikes.
Speaker 4: My I think one of the things that makes me happiest in this world is going on an ism a travel lader in the airport, walking on a travel lader of the airport. I get so much joy from walking on one of those and looking at the people next to me and going, I'm going so much faster. I don't understand people don't go on the That's crazy. I feel like Oscar for stories on there.
Speaker 1: And that's what a similarity is.
Speaker 4: End.
Speaker 1: You could have gone so many other fast.
Speaker 4: I mean Kathy Freeman, I mean.
Speaker 1: Bolt. So I was trying to think.
Speaker 4: I feel like a man with no legs.
Speaker 1: Who was accused found to your murder. So what would be a dislike a dislike? What would be a fun little quirky little dislike being a have a letter? Feeling like.
Speaker 4: This legs she dislikes. God, this is making me seem so cheery and happy, like I can't think of something I despike, Whereas I feel like my life is filled with so many, so many aggressions. How about this. This is something I'm very minor. But when another comedian insists upon you coming to the show but never once expresses interest in coming to your show, that is something I've recently realized.
Speaker 1: I mean, I I enjoyed coming to your show in Britlyne. I'm glad I did. I'm glad because it would have it would have felt personal.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you did not insist upon me coming. That was you seemed upset of anything.
Speaker 1: Only here there's legs when comedians it did not to come to his show. But it's not.
Speaker 4: It's it's fine for them not to. I don't mind people not COVID. It's when they're they're like you got to you know, the keep inviting me to the show and going, oh, you know, you know, I'm busy.
Speaker 1: You know, like I am.
Speaker 4: You know, we're all busy, you know. But then but then they not once are like, oh can I get a comp to your show? That feels like a bit. That's that's the rudeness, I.
Speaker 1: Think, Yes, that is do you want to name names?
Speaker 4: Yes, let's go. Kevin Hart.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, he likes the smell of orange on his fingers of orange and the and the taste of a sultan bringing a chip on the tip of his tongue. And I dislikes. Hell yeah, he dislikes when meals come out at restaurants at odd times. Happened this morning. We were we were actually went out for breakfast and I got my my Birchu musley and I was finishing up. My wife still hadn't got a avocado. Yeah, only smashed. That's not you know, not that complix. It wasn't that complicated.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, I I agree, And then you've got this awkward thing with her, I mean, especially opinion what you get. They sort of insist on you eating your meal you know, well yeah, yeah, I mean you can't have your meal got cold or whatever or well.
Speaker 1: Then they said, can we give you a complimentary you know, something else to eat? No, we don't, we don't, we don't have we don't have the time anything to the drinks. Say I'll have a child, and then that didn't come. Let's just we'll call the whole thing off. But I also, hell yeah, also the lakes. When seconds are left on the microwave clock. Oh don't like when seconds yeah left on you.
Speaker 4: Mean you mean like if someone opens the microwave early and it doesn't reset it. Yeah, you know, one hundred percent, you're right.
Speaker 1: I like it on zero.
Speaker 4: Yes, not your Your microwave doesn't have the time like the vastly incorrect time on it.
Speaker 1: No, we know it's actually just goes back to zero.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think there's enough clocks in our house and watches on devices that we don't need a microwave.
Speaker 4: I did mean to lift. I didn't me to compliment. You did get here on times, and it.
Speaker 1: Was nothing to do with the micros. It played no part. It really didn't, I'm sure, and we'll get the reasons made way. What irked you about this film or what didn't grab your attention? But it's a well it's a beautifully made film, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is beautiful. I will, I will admit that. And that's always something that's so nice about a film I think about like that. It's just pleasant to look at. It almost feels sort of like a lost art, you know. And maybe this just shows how much of a philistine I am. But the only time I the other time I really noticed it is with Wis Anderson Films. Yeah, when you feel like everything's been so carefully placed, and there's a color pellette I think he uses and Amelle uses that. I don't think it is really used all that often in modern films.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's a really good comparison. And so you often hear about the French New Wave and and and what does that? What does that mean? Who are the French? And it's like Jean look, Gerard and t Faux and they were just poor and not getting the you know, the money to make their films. And in a way they were critical of the French films we made of the day because they were like very shiny and very not really showing Paris as Paris is. Ironically, Emily, you could argue, does not really show Paris as Paris is.
Speaker 4: It's funny that the financing limiting them. It reminds me of I try to write an English essay in back in high school about film To Kill a Mockingbird, the one starring Gregory Pitt. Yes, and you know, I wanted to argue that it was filmed in black and white to make a point about racism. No, they had to film.
Speaker 1: There is something about which I'm sure you've come across in your career that when you don't have certainly happened when you know we've done it's a date, or how to stay married, or the film I made a film cause I love you too.
Speaker 4: I thought at first it was about you delvyd your own personal life that I've been on a first date money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I dated my wife and we didn't get married on the spot, thankfully. But no, when you when you were snookered by budget or the location doesn't become available, you often come up with a much better idea, this idea that boundaries and having parameters set by the studio or the ties and suites upstairs. Now, sometimes obviously that is annoying and it's not for the betterment of the film or the projects. But I think quite often it's amazing how many times, particularly if it happens in the writing phase of it, you can go, Okay, let's work around this, what's a better solution, and you often come up with a better idea.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. Yes, I always feel that that way about when people complain about political correctness and comedy. You know, regardless of you know your view of it. If you think there is you know, a new rule or whatever about what you can and can't say. Then you can play with that and work around it. Like Ben Hurley, a New Zealand comedian.
Speaker 1: A great comic, previous guest on the show, a friend of mine. Ben, Yes, he's so funny. On the current season task Master, Yes.
Speaker 4: He has just finished airing. He has a joke about how he went to get a massage, and the opening of the joke is about how she came from a country and you can no longer do their accent anymore, but she let's just say she was German and she came from a little German town called Shanghai. He does a German accent. It's such a funny, it's such a that's so much cleverer than just doing it, you know, doing a mock caricature Asian accent or whatever. You know, it's so much funnier. And I always think it was well about Mash the TV show. I think I think there was the American version. They wanted them to have a laugh track and Mash you know that all the right, you know, they hated having a laugh track, but the studio relented and said, Okay, you don't have to have a laugh track when you're filming in the hospital. Scenes. I guess maybe there were meant to be somber or whatever. And so then they tried to sit as many scenes as they could inside the hospital so that way they never had to use the laugh track. And I think that's kind of interesting innovation, you know, Yeah, that produces just much more interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so in these films. And I think Where's Anderson is obviously influenced by the French New Wave because because they didn't have the money, they would have dolly shots, but they'll be in a wheelbarrow with the camera or on a bicycle, you know. So, and the camera was often always moving or handheld. In Arma Lee, the camera is always moving, it never it never, it's still, you know. Breaking the Fourth Wall was a kind of a French New Wave thing. Was it narration? Like in narration, like starting a film with monologue in narration? Is it kind of came I think from the French New Wave, Like you see good failures kind to do that a really good you know effect.
Speaker 4: This is this thing where like I feel like by having this conversation, you're convincing me to enjoy the film. Like I'm like, oh, maybe I did like it, Like I'm loning all these interesting things. It's like when I saw the film, did you ever watch Tar? Which was yeah, which was again, there was a film I did not enjoy when I saw it, And then basically then when I was I saw it, and then I where I filmed task Master the New Zealand season after seeing it, and every day I was on set we talked about the film Tar and eventually had so many conversations about Tar. I was like, oh, maybe it was a really great film.
Speaker 1: That's so funny because I shot my series of task Master coming up later this year in Australia. We shot it just after I think you had shot your series. Yes, that sounds right, and that that conversation that idea got back to us the Tar. For some reason, it became like a little well, well yeah, And then it became a joke between because we had the same thing of like discussing that we like the film and night and so it became it's still a running joke between me and Resnichols. And whenever I see Tar, if it's on an airplane, I take a photo and I said with the Reis Nicholson, just say, you know Tars playing uncontesce at the moment, or just so you know, he's a photo tars on the in the Foxtel store, as anybody who is that. You know, he's in the Edinburgh Festival at the moment, and I'm still sending him Tar photos.
Speaker 4: That's so crazy that it filtered down. But yeah, I remember Joseph Moore, who's part of the writing team for task Master, said he pitched a task which was of we came up with the show Tarsk Master, and his task was write an opera, write a concert without getting canceled.
Speaker 1: So did you enjoy tar in the end?
Speaker 4: I think I've become convinced that I did enjoy it. I've only said it the one time, but I've, you know, the more I think about it, and like I read reviews about like the structure of the film was meant to mirror the piece that she was writing, like it's a slow beginning, but then it has like quite a frenetic crescendo. And I did enjoy elements of her, like her crashing into the conductor. But I remember when it ended, I was sort of like, oh, is that it's just over? Okay? Whoops? And I probably didn't read into the significance of how far she had fallen and stuff. But I did think there were elements of it that were very clever, like the slow reveal that she had been sort of inappropriate with it with a student, or the slow reveal of that that preview student. I feel like people probably listening to this podcast, we're not expected to get spoiled about the film Tar.
Speaker 1: Well. My biggest shock about Tar was that it wasn't I thought it was based on it. It really sells the idea, and the performance is so good, and they have these long I think maybe it's the opening scene where she's doing this long kind of form interview of an audience.
Speaker 4: Yes, that that was a challenging scene.
Speaker 1: I thought it was. It kind of makes you think, oh, they're showing this scene because this is like, this is a conversation has happened, and then this is showing how good she is and how much she knows and how much is in control of her craft, and you know it's going to get an insight of this woman and her career before we move into because you know, I don't know, I don't know who Tar is. You know, I haven't And it was only after the film I googled. You know, Tar, I want to know more and then that completely completely. Rarely have I been disappointed. I mean, when we heard Forrest Gump wasn't a real guy.
Speaker 4: That was I guess we have to do this long think about the wood maker making the puppet. But I would love it, but I can't went in into Pinocchio's life.
Speaker 1: Get back to your point, this podcast has quite a few times now somebody who would say, ah, yeah, I'm not sure, and I particular like and mean by the end through discussing it, actually I might watch it again, or maybe I enjoyed it more than I thought.
Speaker 4: I yes. And also to go back to what you said about Lydia Tar, about her being a real person. I feel like so much of how I learn things nowadays, as I go and I watch a biopic or I watch a film based on now you know now every film was basically based on real events, and you watch that and then you go, but did it happen that way? Then that's how I learn about historical facts. Now, as I go on Wikipedia and I learned about how everything that the film got wrong, and that's now how I know what actually happened on was it Missus Harris's Evil Little Letters or whatever. That Olivia Coleman film was Wicked, Wicked Little Letters or something else.
Speaker 1: I watched that. I haven't seen that one, but it's thoroughly averages that may not make the poster the perfect film.
Speaker 4: That's how I would describe it.
Speaker 1: I I mean, let's what's your Do you have a relationship with Paris?
Speaker 4: No, I've never been, so that my relationship begins and ends with the Olympics of this year, I think, so. Yeah, No, I've never been. I mean, you know, I'd love to go, I guess, but no, I've not been.
Speaker 1: So And do you have because a lot of people it's one of those cities that people will have a wonderlust for, like the idea of, like the romance of it, or the history. Do you I mean outside just like, oh, yeah, it would be nice to go one day. But do you have an urge to go to Paris?
Speaker 4: No? No, I have sort of zero urge to go traveling. Like I'm very like I I guess I'm very said in my ways maybe, but like, I know I should go to Paris, and I think that would be the thing that motivates me to go, Like oh, I have to go to Paris.
Speaker 1: It's Paris, you know, So I.
Speaker 4: Will go eventually, I imagine, but it's I don't have a drive really to visit any place really apart from the fact that like you should, you should go to these places.
Speaker 1: It's it's rare that you come across somebody's like travel. There is somebody now my wife and my life that is has been very likely to travel. And if they do, it's it's America. No no interest, so curiosity, massive fan and and that's it. Always. It always intrigues me as to as to what what that's based on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I think it's the thing of just I like, you know, I think what I like is I do like hanging out with my friends, you know, I love having conversations with him and stuff. And I think I'm just very neutral about where we do that. You know, like we could go should we could go swimming and we could hang in a pool and talk, or we could you know, or we could you know, we can go to Paris, and you know that, And it is actually I mean, I think, you know, it is nice to go traveling with your friends because then at least it gives you things to talk about. You know, yes, and you know, and then you have memories and you you know, memories are nice. I guess.
Speaker 1: Well, memories cannot also nice. Famously, there are plenty of memories that you would like to raise and getting too.
Speaker 4: A little bit of Eternal Sunshine, the smellst mindy. Yes, a great film. Yes, oh that, maybe that? Maybe that was one of the films on my top four when I did the top four list.
Speaker 1: There we go. Well, it's also an interesting like with Ironic to forget it. But I feel like there's a connection with Eternal Sunshine and Armor Lee, like there's a certain I think Eternal Sunshine is darker and it goes to more Perhaps there I say interesting places and ask bigger for philosophical questions. Even though Armily is a very simple film about can you make other people's lives better? And what's your role in doing that? And how important is isin? And I do like that Armiles. It's kind of a love story, certainly a romantic films. It's you always feel that she's doing it for the betterment of herself, more than the idea of needing a guy to make her life better. I think you know the fact that she goes and attempts to make other people's lives better, and through doing that, I think becomes confident enough to land this guy, if you like she does in a very complicated way. I mean, there are things in this movie, like with the phone box, the little treasure trove, the tin boxes she finds and she finally gets it into the hands of the person who lost it as a child. But even then it's just like that you call the phone box as he's walking by, and then you hang up, and then he has to see the tin box. It's like there's an easy way of doing that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember thinking at the end where I thought, oh, she's finally going to meet Nino or what Nina? And he looks in the photo whel on the page she sees, and then it's do you want to meet me? Go here? And then he goes to Then he goes to the cafe and he's waiting for her, and she's too, puts a note in his pocket. Then it's like, come on, just.
Speaker 1: Talk, just say hello. I mean I was I was thinking with the phone box, why why isn't she making conversation with this guy? And then you realize, oh, she's actually quite crippling shy. I do love the setup of her relationship with her parents, you know the fact that her her mum. You know, like this film is kind of I think when people kind of think about amily, they think about it it's romantic, it's idealistic, and they kind of forget about some of the darker elements. Her mum, her mom gets squashed by somebody leaping off committing suicide of a cathedral. Yes, I mean that's it's a light yes.
Speaker 4: And then her dad assumes she has a heart condition and and homeschools. Like she has no social she has no friends for her.
Speaker 1: Growing up, doesn't have any friends because her father does not not in the physical contact. So the only time she has physical contact is when he gives her a medical and that causes the very the thrill of his hand is gently being on her on a steposcope being on her chest sends her heart into increases her heartbeat, so they assume she has a medical heart defect, so she ends up being homeschool I think it's incredible.
Speaker 4: No, yes, no, I do think the opening. I remember going in thinking like there's a chance I'm not going to like this film, and then the opening I must say, I really I was really really enjoying the film, like her childhood and stuff growing up, and I think I'm trying to pinpoint what I disliked, and I think I don't think I like it when films and books and stuff are maybe aimless as too as an unfeared description. But like, have you read Catcher in the Rye?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: And the Catcher in the rye is sort of you know, does he does the main character even hold it hold in court? Yes, he just it's a sort of him just sort of wandering about and looking at things and then going like, oh, you know, I hate that or I like this or whatever, and then it just kind of then it's just sort of over. Yeah, and all this that's my memory of it from red in high school.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 4: Think I have an issue with films where I feel like they follow a similar kind of pattern. I guess I felt like and like, I don't know, she reunites the guy with the box, and then I was like, Okay, I thought that was the main thing, and now there's just this whole other thing and she's just kind of doing stuff now, and I was like, what is the I don't know, I think it speaks to me being quite stupid and film and film illiterate. I think where there's I feel like, if there's not like an obvious plot point for them to get to, I'm sort of like, what's going on here? What am I watching this for? What's what's happening?
Speaker 1: The filmmaker should and obviously for many people, the filmmaker has done this.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm very much in the wrong.
Speaker 1: We all we all can out with different films, but you know, it should always feel there's momentum in a film that you were constantly asking questions of the film. I do think the powerful thing about Amalie is every department is just in stunning form. The color in this you know they use they use red, green, and yellow, a whole bunch, with the occasional flash of blue like you see like a blue lamp or a blue car, and that's you know, and it's and it's all very deliberate. It's all it's all done to represent different moods. And we won't deep dive too much into that because you know, you can do that online like all the work for you guys.
Speaker 4: No, but it does feel like one of those films, like again, like Tar where it's so rich I think, and what it's doing, like again, like the you know, it looks so beautiful and it's it's such a it's an interesting film. I'll definitely give it that like. And and so maybe that's if any think it's that's more important than me enjoying it, is that like it's going to be a film that I think I could discuss with people for a long long time, Whereas again, like you know, Wicked Little Letters as a film that I, you know, I never think about, you know, in Tars, a film I still think about, you know, And just because I didn't enjoy it at the time doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good film, I guess as how maybe howd you know, I think I can just like maybe this is a crazy thing to do, but maybe it's from studying philosophy. But I feel like you can make a distinction between whether or not the film is good and whether or not I actually enjoyed it. And I don't think I enjoyed it at the time I watched it, But the film is probably good and it's like it's, you know, it's a richer film than a lot out there, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's something to say for that. There are films that you decide in the moment that you love.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: There are times where I'm watching a film and very early on, it could be the first scene buscashid in the Sundance Kid I watched for this podcast, and in the opening titles, I thought, I love this film, you know, and of course who knows, and I end up loving that film, But it could have gone a separate way, but I felt very safe hands. Then there are films that you kind of just just just staying you like Past Laves as a film that I watched it again recently, and that was a film that just I loved it watching it, but just it grew in richness for me the more it's stayed in my head and the more I thought about it. And the fact is, Ray, I'm planning on recording this for six hours, so you're be doing with amal long for a lot.
Speaker 4: The film like Requiem for a Dream, I think when I watched that, I was I think I was like depressed for three days after it was like it was horrified watch and like it's probably like the best film I'll never watch again, you know, like it probably is a great film, but it's just so upset.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's it's important to kind of otherwise we end up all being trolls and going I hated this film. Why do people like this film? I've spoken about this before in this podcast, but I think it's a message worth spreading. We did puns Strang Love with Hamis McDonald and I love Punstrang Love. I think it's an unbelievable film. That's that's one of the Thomas Anderson and Emily Watson Emily Watson. Funny enough, the year I saw it was written for Emily Watson, and then they didn't check she doesn't speak French. I would have thought before that role could have gone to us. So yeah, she she was on duo Lgodon between it was a bonjour? Can you just can you do a dr after bonur?
Speaker 4: A film? All my conversation from behind the.
Speaker 1: And then and then we just do the rest in English? Is that call? I really love it as a film, like it'd be my top ten. And Hamish did not connect with it the reasons that I kind of disagree with, but at the same time, that's that's how he saw that film, and and I just spoked to another friend, George Tani, who knows Hamish and myself, and she just made the point I think sometimes we are so keen for people to like the same stuff we like, you know, because you like I want to spread the word about this movie. I want you to feel the same way I do about it. But what makes it's special is the connection you have in this with with this film, that you saw the beauty in this film, and it makes it even more special that sometimes that other people don't see that. You know, there could be a song or a painting, whatever it might be. But it's it's good that we all have different realationships with.
Speaker 4: These yes you know, pieces of art, Yes, yes, one hundred percent years. I've also I've been thinking ever since you said maybe I'd connect with the character Emilie because we're both sort of people sort of going through our lives that a similar way. And I was trying to think the film I watched. I'm trying to think of the last film I watched about a man going to go into France that I connected with was Mister Bean's Holiday, which I think is maybe a more apt comedy per se.
Speaker 1: When people get asked who are your ideal three guests at a dinner party, Regulary, Amie and mister Bean. There is something I think nice about watching a character who particularly we know her history, losing her mother and then she was her father. There was not necessarily the connection finding their voice in the world. Yeah, I think he's very powerful. Talk about some of the characters that we met. We have the lady who lives I think downstairs, downstairs in the same apartment. This is a bit of a strange one. So she lost her husband I think hadn was having an affair and is writing letters, but he died in a plane accident. That they were writing levels back and forth, but she didn't receive the last letter or something. And then Amile to make things better. There's a bit of cutting and past in this old school. Yes, right, this is when it was hard to do a bit of cutting and paste. Your generation's got so easy. And it's a little bit morally dubious. I think like she does when she starts meddling, she almost become addicted to the meddling. And you can argue that it's a little bit yeah, like I said, morrally dubious, but it does lift the mood of that character, whether it's it's well, it's not based on fact, it's based on fiction.
Speaker 4: He's had a Yes, I know, there's there's that philosophical question of I guess of would you be okay living I guess living in a world where it turns out that all your friends sort of secretly despised you. You know, no one actually liked you, you know, anyone you thought was close to you actually you know they were mocking you behind your back every you know, every turn they could get it they could.
Speaker 1: Is that what's happening?
Speaker 4: Look, I've got some I've been in some group chats. Every time you send a message to Reye. Nicholson about tar.
Speaker 1: Reese messages, his last reply was just like, you know this thing laughing emerge cone better than that. It's fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yes, this idea of you know, is it better to be aware of that stuff or would you rather live in blissful ignorance? And I think, I mean a lot of people probably do imagine themselves as the kind of person like I'd love to you know, live the truth or whatever. You know, the truth is so important to me. But when you think about it like that, you're like Oh, maybe that the ignorance would be quite nice. Maybe it would be nice to ever Armilee type figure sort of intervening and making sure I was protected from how horrible everyone around me was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd love Emily organizing your birthday party. I think she would do a pretty bang up job. She liked her crass, you know, she likes a.
Speaker 4: Surprise, goodie begs filled with grain.
Speaker 1: The one character I thought was a bit I didn't particularly like was the character in the in the cafe who is kind of like my stalking Oh. Yes, and then Amile decides, okay, he's a bit of a creep I'll set her up. I'll set him up with the other one. With the other one's name.
Speaker 4: The cigarette the tobacconist was a hypochondriac.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that was a strange mood.
Speaker 4: Yes he was. He looked unpleasant. He was constantly recording everything that was happening in the cafe. And then after they do sort of hook up, he doesn't he doesn't see to turn a new leaf, like he seems to be just as creepy as he was, still these kind of he seems still mad and bitter, and it's still recording what everyone's up to and he thinks because he's sort of a love triangle thing going on, right, and he or like he thinks that other waitresses trying to flirt with Nino when he put when she because he sees her put the thing anyway, you know, he's an unpleasant, awful man.
Speaker 1: It's a slight strange one because why would you set up beside this man with I assume another coworker just to get him out of the hair of that coworker, because there's nothing that suggests that they're good together, I think, you know, but they end up having wild sex in the bathroom, yes, which is you know, it's very comical, and I think it's played for last.
Speaker 4: Is the sixteenth orgasm, is.
Speaker 1: The sixteenth agism, And I think it's important to have that because when you have the moment later on, when Amalie and Nino finally get together, you can imagine in this romanticized world that everyone in Paris is making love with one of each other. It's good to show that their tender way of making love is the way they do it. And there is is still rigorous other sex happening in bathrooms all over Paris, and I know we have had the orgasms already. But I think it's it's it's good, it makes that moment. It hit a little differently at the end.
Speaker 4: It's a bit tinder, a bit more sweet as opposed to the animalist.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's they're up against the glass, you know, the window of the bathroom.
Speaker 4: And everyone can see them. And then right at the end, Ami decides to turn on the coffee machine, as if that's going to obscure.
Speaker 1: That'll take it the last six minutes. Anyone's forgotten about that.
Speaker 4: I'll be making coffee this whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, But like Paris is also a big figure, and also like the idealization of Paris that they're clearly going for this and they're not. There was there's criticism of the on that it doesn't show the real Paris, but it's like it's ridiculous. It's like that's what the film. It's a choice of filmmakers making. There's plenty of films that show the real Paris. This is not about it being the real Paris. This is the idolized version of Paris. In the head of Amalie. The filmmakers actually went away and the crew scrubbed any graffiti on the walls of the train station. So everything's really clean in this film. There's no white in this film. I'm not sure you know. There's no white walls. Everything's either yellow or blue or so not blue. It is the occasional blue, but red or green, there's no there's no, there's not a white wall in this And there's a point where she goes up in the train station and goes to give money to a I think you've read them as a displaced person these days, and he says, no, I don't work on Sundays. Who refuses the money. So I think that is the reason that joke's there. One it's a reasonably funny joke, but it's a nod to kind of say this isn't reality. We're not dealing in in your reality.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. And like even at the start of the film, she when she's a child, she plays doctor to like is it a giant crocodile or something like she has an imaginary friend that's like clearly a mythical creature. Yes, And there's some elements of like very I think a very small amount of c GI or like this. Well, like at one point she turns into a puddle. It's clearly like a fantastical version of height, a slightly heightened version of reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, photos talking to her in the photo booth.
Speaker 4: Yes, I read a review that mentioned like things like there's no McDonald's in Paris, which, of course, like I mean, I've never been, but of course there would be a mcdonald'sy. But it's I think that's really nice. I think it's nice to see this sort of decommercialized version of a city. You know, I think I don't care where the movie you said. I think I would like to not see a big McDonald's sign. And what exactly this isn't the block. I don't need to have you promotion shoved down my face.
Speaker 1: You know that's right. And then Paris is such a romantic city, so why not lean into that. Paris is another film that I think is I do love And you know, some people say you're not supposed to the other on films anymore, but I think in Paris is his last great film. I think it's extraordinary.
Speaker 4: Yes, No, I didn't. I haven't had a chance. I have not seen that one. I did not get managed to get it under the wire before before it became publicly problematic to watch the films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd argue that you still you.
Speaker 4: Get separation the art from the artist. Do you have a connection with Paris have you?
Speaker 1: I mean, I've been there quite a few times. I've been there about four times.
Speaker 4: Of course, because you're I mean your last show you talk about going to Rome the Romans where that story set with you that you take the phone.
Speaker 1: Great, yeah, thank you, thank you. And I do a bit about going to Paris and my wife wanting to learn French and the idea of going. You know, there's no point French unless you can learn the whole language, because then you go up to somebody and you will say, like, pretend this is French. It's because it's because you why where's a train station? And they will respond in the French because they think you're French, and you have to explain. I only learned the questions, so there's no point.
Speaker 4: So I was, I've been to China and when I went to China, the only phrase I learned was she and I'm probably pronouncing that even wrong, the one which is thank you, and that's all I basically, you know, like I had a because I'm vegan, and I had a thing saved on my phone that I just point out to be like, I eat what like I think it's like I eat what the monks eed or whatever. You know, I forget what the exact wordy was. But I think there's like a you know, a popular group within China that I'm like, Okay, I have the same diet as them, so you know, give me those kind of dumplings please. But I basically I went around saying she share. And the nice thing about traveling over like overseas, when you look like we do, is that no one will ever think I'm from New Zealand. You know, people will assume I'm a bumbling American if I if I, if I make a mistake, New Zealand gets off scot free. You know, like you know, it's a people if I do something super like, oh, that's just another dumb American ru ruining the place.
Speaker 1: And so well, often if you go to I think Paris is one of these cities where you almost have to let them know that you're not British or American. And once you let them know you're Australian or your case of New Zealander, they will you will see their attitudes. It's like it's actually a thing. I like, we've been there about four times. I love it. Like the whole thing about French people being rude, we haven't. We've seen it occasionally, but like no more times than any other city in the world, including my own city, Melbourne. Like, you know, there are rude people, but I love it. I think they've got the work life balance kind of worked out.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yes, I food there. That's sort of like when it hits five pm, they are literally like that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm done. You arrive in a small town and there's no you know, if you arrive at two o'clock that lunch is done. There's nowhere you're not eating. You're not eating. We I was like recently with the Glease and so Tom Gleason and his family, and when I over to Tom's apartment with my wife and we grabbed a couple of bottles of wine and and some bits and pieces some cheese, and it's amazing how you like you never rock up. I will never work up to your house with the cheese and bread. You know, I just want to be We're in France and you get cheesebread and some wine and we're literally waiting for time to come downstairs to let us in, and a woman approaches us, a French woman, and critiques our wine and kind of says that one is not no good. That is no good. That one you need that you need, you need to be you need to chill it, you need to chill it, and that's you know, and she's and we're like, oh, and we like it was good wine, like we brought it and we weren't skimping. And then my family and Tom's family we went at the Verst Saign together, let's have a day of Asai, and we got a a picnic blanket and got some more bits and again cheese and breads and and all that stuff. And we just grabbed a bottle of wine on the way there from like a supermarket, and it was we knew we weren't buying the best wine, but we just thought just when we sit down for a picnic and versaill, well that's the cheese, poor you know, wine into some plastic cups. And another woman came up to us and they said that is not a good wine. Like that she was even more and that is not good wine. Well, well, we can't do anything. Now we're drinking it. It's we're not tipping it out. But I kind of loved it so much because it's like, you know, occasionally in life and there's comedians, we look for these moments where it's like, fuck, something's happening. Somebody has stepped out of the usual kind of you know, pattern of life and and and changed it a bit and and we we I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: So it'd be like me, I, well, I do the similar thing. But when I see people eating the wrong kind of aureos, I'm like, you want to get double stuffed, more creepy.
Speaker 1: People eating crunches the wrong way. So then you take the chocolate off the top and you and the signe you can't just bite into it, mate, excellently. I've got a few things before we wrap up price tagging the dildos, and you notice that there's in the This is when you're writing a scene, if anyone's writing a you know script, you know, these are the fun little touches you can put in. There's a scene where I think Nino he's chatting out to the woman who was works at the pawn store with him, and they just casually price tagging dildos. I thought that was a lovely touch in this romantic French frill. Why not have somebody price tagging dildos.
Speaker 4: Yes, when she goes to the little heap show thing or you know, she goes to the porn store, I remember thinking this is not what I was expecting. And this feels like because when you see her face and the don't I think I thought Mla was a lot younger than maybe she actually was, like just judging from the DVD cover, you know, like, yeah, I thought it might be super sanitized going into it. I didn't realize there would be any kind of sexual element to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a sexual element, and then there's there's there's that, and I think there's a lot of stuff going on, and you know, there's punstrang Love actually does this really well as well, and I kind of made the point to be hamish, and I think Amalie does it. It shows the courage it can take to actually pronounce your love for somebody, like and I've been married now twenty one years, so I was thinking about this when I was watching it, kind of go yeah, when you have a crush on somebody, thinking back of how hard it is to let them know, particularly if you don't know if it's going to be requited. So there's a great moment where Adam Sander just holds out his hand and Emily Watson takes it in punstrang love and I think this moment Arma Lee is walking over towards the photo booth. Oh, and she's kind of organized with a repairman, that mystery man that's trying to work out who this guy is, especially is your ghost and he ends up being he's just a repairman. He fixes it, and when he fixes the photo booth, he takes a photo. He doesn't need the photo, so he discards it. And who is this mystery man? She works it out, makes Nino kind of you know, work it out too, plans all that, and then he's walking over towards him, and the luggage Carosel kind of gets in the way and then he's gone. But it's just like when she was walking over, I was was like, Yeah, this is like about the courage it takes to let somebody know how you feel. Yes, yes, he also got the painter, which I think they called the glass Man.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, he's got the nickname. Yes, but he's trying to paint. He can't quite nail that one woman and the and the scene that he's trying to paint, which is sort of a metaphor.
Speaker 1: For for a yes, because he's got a glass of red wine. I think in front of it that's obscuring some of her face. I think that's the one that Yeah. And I like those scenes where it becomes they're obviously talking about Amalie, and at some point you see that they both I think both characters have to know that they're both talking about amily, but it goes, it goes not spoken yes, yes, but you can see they both understand.
Speaker 4: It's one hundred percent the way he's looking at her, he knows he is Yeah, yeah, she doesn't know herself.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it, and that's and and that's the journey. The name stuff. Of course, we have got to mention the names because the name became kind of the big thing. There's almost a parodied is.
Speaker 4: It in Andy Griffith's book. I actually maybe maybe I was the right age to read them, but I'm pretty sure he did. I think he wrote a.
Speaker 1: Short story where really post Armily do you think?
Speaker 4: Or post Armily was it? Was it? After nine to eleven, I think.
Speaker 1: Always, always, any Griffith's work through.
Speaker 4: With a twelve hour old boys ships out to at, I think he has I think it would have been I think at least the age I was was definitely would have been post.
Speaker 1: Because because there was there's a great film, a Jason Rightman film with George Clooney and Anna kendrickt Up in the Air.
Speaker 4: I think that's a phenomenal film.
Speaker 1: That's film that I think I would have seen. Now. It's very that film's on. I'm not I'm not turning away. I really enjoy it. Up in the Air.
Speaker 4: I think I've only seen it the first time it was on, but I remember it being like, yeah, I remember loving it. I remember the oh yes, no, yeah, there's the firing scene.
Speaker 1: It's very rewatchable. Jason Bateman's in love Jason Batemanat they do a similar thing and they actually refer to I like that Nome movie where they they call it the yeah yeah, it's not the Nome thing. And they're taking a photo. They're taking a picture of Dana McBride, who's the who's marrying George Clooney's sister in the film, and they've got like his cardboy cut out. Oh and of course his sister is of course Melanie Alinsky in New Zealand. Of course, how could you not on Mate two and a half man. But she's like, she's an extraordinary actress. Heavenly Creatures. Heavenly Creatures, wasn't Yes, And now she's in Yellow Jack is the Yellow Jack Yellow Jackets. Yeah, she's great and everything she's in. Vera Formiga is also, it's a really great film. But Dynamic Bride is marrying Melon Nielinski and they have this They can't afford to travel, so they have this carbor cut out and the idea friends are actually taking them away and getting them a photographed in different places, and so George Croney it could becomes a bit of an inconvenience to do this. And they refer to this like the Gnome thing or like the movie, and that's a reference to Amie. I believe the an Internet travel company had done some kind of thing with gnomes, and so Armiy's kind of borrowed from that. I believe.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought that a really interesting thing about I mean, this is such such a small moment, but the impression I got when Amily, I think, does she go up and say to him. She says to her dad like, oh, where's the gnome or something like that, And I got you. I almost thought, oh, has he not even been outside to check? You know, maybe that's when he to go get the photo or something. But I thought it was like he's so living in a small little world that I don't think he even noticed the gnome was.
Speaker 1: Gone, you know, yeah, yeah, or then but then he became obsessed with it, obsessed and he was waiting for the postman, like, which is a such an almost I was chatting with fellow comedian who I want to who it is, because we haven't really kind of spoken to anyone about what we're working on. Somebody in there. In there they're thirty one, I can tell you the age. And we were chatting about the idea of like waiting for the postman, Like the postman arriving was an event. It was like you would, like you usually have an idea what time the postman would be coming, like these days it's just bills and pamphlets delivered, but back in you know, pre emails and all that, like letters would have birthday cards and so it was an event. So and he I like that he kind of starts waiting for the postman and he doesn't know what the's going on. If he ever finds out, he just becomes is this idea that Arma Lee is injecting magic in the people's lives? So the name is returned and he doesn't question it. Yeah, I think, were you expecting Princess Diana to play a role in this film?
Speaker 4: Not at all?
Speaker 1: Not all, not all going on.
Speaker 4: And also the way from memory, the way the film's the very start of the film, as it's sort of like you know that you know, her whole life changes the day Princess Diana dies, and I feel like they do like kind of like a weird flashed forward thing and you see sort of bits of the film that are coming forward, and maybe you see is that when you also see who driss and like maybe she's in black and white or wearing a mask or whatever, or you see the repairman or something, and I remember thinking like, oh, this is going to be like some kind of heist film, Like she's going to get like she's going to get involved in something way bigger than herself because of this box or whatever. You know, she's going to be something in with the Mafia, and so my expectations of what's what was going.
Speaker 1: On was, what the hell is going Yeah, I can imagine she does break the fourth wall, obviously, I don't think she ever. I think she does talk to the camera. I think when she's in the movie, she talked to the camerastin turn and smile.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: A This is a pre Jim Kazinski as well, or Prey of the Office, the American Office.
Speaker 4: At least, but pre Malcolm in the Middle.
Speaker 1: It was I liked it, but I almost never want to see it again in a way like it was. It was very cute, but I think they use it just enough. They had gone one more time with it, I would have gone, maybe it's too much. Yes, did you did you like the Audrey Tau Did you like the Oh?
Speaker 4: You know, she's phenomenal. That's I think one of the things I love is an actor who's not in many films, or like, not in many films that I've seen. And so that way, it's just immediately believable, you know, because the only time I've ever seen these people are you know, in the scenes they're currently in, you know, whereas like you know, obviously these people are phenomenal actors, but you know, Tom Hanks is an element of like, okay, I need to forget that it is Tom Hanks, you know, like you know, it was great when he did the Elvis film and he put on a big fat suit and then did the craziest woe you've ever heard, and I looked. I looked it up after the colonel did not sound like that at all. He spoke with like a like an American, like a normal enough American accent, and just Tom Hanks decided to go full noise. It's like the weird pseudo Dutch choice. It was the first film I saw which made me go, was Tom Hanks not a good actor?
Speaker 1: Well? I can't. I eventually went along with it, but I'm surprised. I would have thought, oh, he's nailed the accent, Like, yes, it's has a strange accent that he does. I assumed, oh, he's he's.
Speaker 4: This is the real guy. He must sound like that. But I watched like a sixty minutes interview with him. I was like, oh my god, he's just talking normally. Just but yes, I did. I remember loving that in the Elvis film when he's protesting and he's trying to sing. He wants to sing one. He wants to sing his songs and not some Christmas numbers. And I remember and Tom Hanks is walking around the office, walking around the studio going, oh, you know, Elvis must play. Here comes Santy clause.
Speaker 1: Such such a ratic. I love that. That is great. Here is some fun facts before we before we wrap things up. Audrey to Taw does not know how to skim stones. There you go. Oh that was s f X special Effects. The name prank I did mention it was. It was an idea that was used in a campaign for the Internet mark internet marketing campaign. I was actually kind of slightly increased. They came after the film, but it was based on this idea that there was a group called the Gnome Liberation Front and they were convicted of stealing over one hundred and fifty names across the UK and France, and the leader of the group was actually convicted in the court court in France. So that that kind of played a part in Colt come on, I mean, yeah, bloke, PC gone man body courts anything of its probably paid for some probably sentimental gift that received probably passed on. Armily's name was actually given Emily's dad's name was given to the cafe the two Windmills. I think it's called where it was promptly stolen. It's true. There's a character Lucian. He's like the simple fellow who works at the grocery store and he that's painting with the man of glass or a glass man. He you may that as often had his hand. I think it is his right hand in his jacket. He's paralyzed. His a comedian in France, and he's his right hand is paralyzed. So that's that.
Speaker 4: Is that so I was just trying to hide his own real injury.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I don't think it comes up in as part of the story or anything.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I know that I could see this is not really a fact, but just a little note that Armie and Nino barely share any dialogue together. There's the phone call, and then there's a very brief exchange in cafe when she's riding behind him. For you, at that point you'll probably think, just say something to him.
Speaker 4: So she keeps trying to hide from her and.
Speaker 1: She yeah so and then later on she's water and she melts. So that's the lesson kids. That is the lesson ray O Leary. This podcast comes with homework. You've done it above and beyond. You've watched a movie with subtitles. You don't quite go into the Jane Kennedy watching three Lord of the Rings films director's cut eleven and a half hours, you don't quite make into that. It's then group. But I appreciate anyone.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm looking forward to doing your book podcast. Recommend a film for me to read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, read Chanta Am by Wednesday, please right, that would be great. My congratulations. I've love watching the Rise of ray Leary, both on your appearances of have you paying attention, but also seeing you gig around town, around the country, Edinburgh, your show, which is one of the great titles.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I love it so much. Your laughter is only making me stronger.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: And just how was Edinburgh?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 4: It was good, it was good. It's an intense experience, it was. But I was very lucky, you know, like I had a very you know, good run. I was in a university classroom. Yes, yes, it's every I never went into a single venue there and was like, oh this venue is the right temperature, this is this is this is perfect for performing comedy and like, you know, you hear this, you know, I think like let them in. You hear the stories like they would always chill the audience to make them as old as possible. Whereas, yeah, every room in Edinburgh is the exact opposite. You're like, oh, I'm kind of a sauna here and it's like appressively hot, and you know, some people are performing in like caves and you know, underground and it's just it's such a wild like you think you'd be braced for it from doing Melbourne Comedy Festival, but in Edinburgh, you know, the show start at ten am, you know, you know you're doing a gig at noon and the place is packed and you know, so it's just a saying in the sane time. But I'm you know, I'd love to go. I'm you know, I'm hoping I'll go back again.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure you will. So when you go over, do you think as your crowd found you online, have they found through task Master? Where do you? Where do you?
Speaker 4: I had one woman tell me that she came and watched because she heard me on a podcast. So I'm looking forward to another single ticket sales from No but yeah, like there were people, you know, there were like a lot of Australians and Kiwis had come because they're you know, aware of who I am. So that was nice. And then yeah, task Master, the task Master brand is so strong. I'm so lucky to have been a part of you know that that series where yeah, people knew me from that and and you were coming to the show. And then also I think some people, you know, there's an element of just taking a chance on someone like I had. I had a show canceled because of a power cut, and I'm bumped into some of the audience beforehand, and I was talking to a woman and she was Irish, and she's going, oh, you're not Irish, and she just took a punt based on.
Speaker 1: But I think, so when you're looking at you're going to take a punt, you're looking at somebody. Often you're looking at posters, and I think, and I think your post simple image. But you know, if people hadn't seen you, you know, the suit and the and the and the hair, and it's just it's it's quite a package. And couple that with your laughter. He's only making me stronger as a as a show title, I think, yeah, it's not just about taking a punt really nearly. I think I think I made a decision years ago to make my posters as funny as you know I could think of, because there was a stage where a lot of comedians were making their posters look like rock stars and moody and sexy. That's got no place in comedy for mine. But mate, thank you so much. Keep kicking goals. And it's been a pleasure hanging out.
Speaker 4: No, thank you so much as an honor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a great. Ray O'Leary, what a man. And he told me afterwards, now his favorite film Mercy. Oh he's still here. Usually I wait for the guests to leave the studio, but Ray's still here. What do you think of the podcast? Right you perform?
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, I've got some notes I would I would describe it as aimless.
Speaker 1: We have many many films. I was expecting tar like you said, they come up on the spotless mine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so glad you brought that up. I got to watch that again.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It is a good one. If you enjoying the podcast, it's free. So how about you do something for us and head to iTunes and give us a ratings. I recommend what do you recommend? That of five stars? Ray, I hope they can go up to six six try and do what you can if you can hack into the mainframe. I think that's what the I think that's the terminology of iTunes. Give six stars. If not five stars, we appreciate labor review post on x post on formerly Twitter. Well, yeah, tell your friends. I think word of mouth is still a thing, so let them know. Go see Rio Leary whenever possible. That was a fun chat, and I think he liked Amilee a little bit more than he did when he arrived.
Speaker 4: Yes, at one hundred percent, you've convinced me this is is the new tar If I's talking about it.
Speaker 1: We're going to different a message. Lee's playing on Fox Style Thank you again once more, mate, And next week on the show, a comedian who has been kicking massive goals over the last couple of years. They smashed it on thank God You're Here. I was gonna say the other one, have you made attention? Thank God You're here? It was hilarious on it. I've performed with Franking on the same bill. I've seen them perform on stage many times and hilarious, hilarious, fun to hang out with. And guess what more, Paul Newman more Paul Newman. That's right, we're reuniting Paul Newman with he's good mate Robert Redford. We're doing the sting. We are doing the sting next week and you ain't seen nothing yet. I have not seen it. It's embarrassing. I've had comedians who have shamed me for Colin Lane was outraged though I've never seen the sting. But we're covering it next week and you ain'tee nothing yet until then. Buck an hour and so we leave Old Pete save fan soul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant, good name.