Speaker 1: Christin o'connells Show podcast. Today we got three chopic Tuesday and I'm about to go around the team find out the song that sums up our long weekend. Patsy, what's it for you mate? What did he get up to?
Speaker 2: Yesterday? We very bravely made the pilgrimage to Bunnings. We're after a new outdoor setting because the dog destroyed the other one.
Speaker 1: So what do you mean the dog destroyed it?
Speaker 3: He chewed it?
Speaker 1: What through like words pine mahogany.
Speaker 2: It was aluminium and he managed to do the first night we went out without him.
Speaker 1: A honey batch has got the strongest bite, you know, they could probably do that, but a dog actually mashing up aluminium.
Speaker 2: Well, he got into the cushions. So we got home after a night out of leaving him for a few hours as a puppy for the first time, and it's like, I'll teach you to go out and leave me on my own for three hours cheot all the cushions up.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, but that was a year ago.
Speaker 3: If he was a puppy, yeah, I know, And.
Speaker 1: So slashed furniture out. There's a nice look.
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't been game to get anything new, because he's just such a wrecking ball. So we figure maybe now he served his apprenticeship and we're finally game enough to go looking for another outdoor setting for summer.
Speaker 1: Do you know what you can? We've got it for the puppy to stop the puppy sort of chewing up stuff. There's this spray. It's cool, it's called puppy Off. It is got horrible smell. It's like a mustard smell, and obviously it's that dog with the sharps with a big old snout. It's a horrible mustard thing where they go to cheer and they go, what is that mustard sprayed on that?
Speaker 3: But then the whole family has to put up with that smell as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, Yeah you might try that everything though, like we've tried eucalyptus oil and stuff and it just doesn't.
Speaker 1: But that's a nice I love the smell of eucalyptus oil. That just clear as sinus is out.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So we got to Bunnings and almost instantly regretted it because it was it was just heaving yesterday, long weekend. Everyone's out and about, even though it was a bit chilly, and they've got it's quite a good system. But you've got a que of course now like you forget, you're sort of stuck in your old ways, pre sort of COVID where you just turn up and rock in. But of course now you have to queue. So they've got this roped off section that like snakes its way through the car park. So Chris looked at me and he goes, how desperately do you really want to go to Bunnings today? And I said, well, look, we're here now, we'll do it anyway. So we lined up in mque and you know, you've got to stand on your yellow crosses in everything, and everyone's, oh, good morning, how are you. How's a long weekend? But it thrust me back to the nineties and my nightclub day is having to queue outside the nightclub.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's needs to be a Netflix show of Partcy's nightclub days. Just reminded me.
Speaker 2: It took me back when we're at Horsham. When I worked at Horsham, there was this local pub. It was the only discoing town, so it was the happening place. And when we first moved there, it's like, g you, that must be a really good joint, Like there's this cue you going around the corner down the main street. So anyway, first night we went out, we went there thinking this is going to be fantastic. Got inside and there's like half a dozen people in there, including the bar staff and the DJ. In this place was a dive. It had wall to wall carpet and as you walked across it, your feet would like stick to the carpet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a sort of a good venue. They used to be like that. I used to love those sticky floor venues. You knew you were somewhere good that never wanted to clean or mop the floor all month.
Speaker 3: I went to a nightclub in the Gold Coast once. I don't know if it's still there. Sticky carpet floors. They and their theme was they had beds instead of chairs, so you sat on the beds and ordered. Someone would come to the beds and you would order a drink from there, and the host, the host would walk around with a spray bottle because it smelt so bad, the carpets and spraying ascent.
Speaker 1: From the Blues Brothers. That's rough. So how do you get on in Bunnings? Then? Did you get what you needed.
Speaker 2: No, we we might have had a bit of a disagreement in Aisle fifteen yesterday. So I want to get like this, you know, indestructible setting. I'm looking at cement or something like that.
Speaker 1: Cement a cement table for outside, carrying that back to the car.
Speaker 2: It's really nice to mid tables and bench bench settings now that you can get and they.
Speaker 3: Look quite them.
Speaker 1: I think yes in Chris isn't.
Speaker 2: A fan and he reckons we can't put it on the decking we've got.
Speaker 1: Or the car. The car would be like so it would be from a cartoon. It goes up in the air.
Speaker 3: Are you building an outdoor setting or escape park anyway?
Speaker 2: So there's a there's we've agreed to disagree on. We're no closer basically to getting the outdoor setting. We can't agree on what we want.
Speaker 1: So it's nothing worse than you go to all the effort and you don't leave with anything. It is no that you haven't settled it and you've only got to come back at some point and do it all again.
Speaker 3: And you have a whisper argument in the aisles, Well, I think there's a mentalill do just fine?
Speaker 1: How many how many iron arguments today. Of any places to have an ile argument, you think Bunnings have the more. You're not really kicking off in a in a supermarket, I line about the chips or what Marjarine brand to get. But in Bunnings, what does it amount of meltdowns I've had with other mind teenage daughters about stuff they're going or my wife rings. I wonder many people have actually just split up end of a relationship in an at Bunnings Christian Christian show shot, what do you go to this long weekend?
Speaker 3: Allow me to take you to the Croatian city of Dalmatia. Of course we all recognize this as the national anthem of Croatia, Unmistakable right. We did a thousand piece puzzle over the weekend of Croatia of the City of Dalmatia. Don't know how we chose Criati as the puzzle when we bought it, but it's been sitting in the cupboard for a few years now and we got it out to put it together over the long weekend.
Speaker 1: You and your wife, you're in your seventies now, Yeah, what's happened to you both over the weekend. It's a fine line between the lifestyle of the hipster and a very old person. That both of the similarities are very similar. Actually, you did a thousand piece chigsaw on a Croatian city. Have you been there?
Speaker 3: I've not been there.
Speaker 1: No. What was it like a port? Is it almost import Yeah? Yeah? Notice the jigsaw people they love a port, don't there With the boats and the harbor and stuff that it makes a nice vista for a jigsaw.
Speaker 3: And it was a beautiful vista by the time we finished. We put a lot of hours into it. I mean people would be doing a lot of puzzles over this isolation period.
Speaker 1: Care homes and places like that. Yeah, and the medical facilities and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a thousand piece puzzle is no easy. Feet took us many hours over the weekend.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they're going to erect a statue today. I mean the sacrifice you two put in to do this feet of enjoyance already. So when would you do it? Like in the evening?
Speaker 3: Oh no, in the days as well? Oh yeah, can't wait to time.
Speaker 1: You don't wait for nightfall to crank open another cuple of pieces of that port of dumb make sure in Croatia and there'd.
Speaker 2: Be lots of samey, samey pieces, wouldn't theyre Jack if it's support because Croatia's got all those beautiful stone sort of buildings and stuff.
Speaker 3: You're right, Patsy, you know your Croatia. Well, yes, the water was very difficult to complete. The sky was very difficult to complete. Yeah, we know. We were doing it all hours of the day. Work up, first thing in the morning, started the puzzle.
Speaker 1: This is my question of the scene. So it's on the coffee table, because you need a big thing to happen.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing. We used the dining table. So we had all our meals over the weekend at the TV and on the couch because the puzzle's taking up the dining table.
Speaker 1: The project the Sistine Chapel, that's are going on in the kitchen on the dining table.
Speaker 3: So then we finish it and I'm ready to break it up because we've already said goodbye to the dining table all weekend. And I said, all right, levelll, time to break it up. Looks great, well done, thumbs up. Banker said no, no, no, we put We've put so many hours into it. We have it has to stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I get it. Michaelangrol didn't get a great big gold jet washer out.
Speaker 3: Just spray that.
Speaker 1: That's that done. What you're doing?
Speaker 3: Then, how long do we have to leave the puzzle on the dining tab?
Speaker 1: I mean how many hours? Just give me a guest, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Ten hours? Probably ten hours.
Speaker 1: You try to put ten hours. I want to get visitors to come and see it. She was just a tourist attraction. You put ten thousand, you're going to destroy it.
Speaker 3: But when you see I mean, you see a puzzle and it's just you're like, oh, yeah, you did a puzzle. You don't keep her on the dining room table, and we're definitely.
Speaker 1: A problem with what you've done. Essentially, you've arrived at what a great anti climax After all of that, you're gone, what do we do now? Exactly? That's the whole point of doing the jigsaw puzzle. It's it's the joy, I guess is actually the putting together. So what are you talking to each other going, I've got a bit of sea here, I've got a bit of sea here. What do you think yours is? Know?
Speaker 3: We we each wear our ear pods and listen to a separate podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh, Oh god, this is a lot Sader thought, Pats. Just imagine the scene. It's like a couple near the end of a relationship.
Speaker 3: It's not that.
Speaker 1: I walking past that house. So see you both with your headphones on doing some born old jigsaw of a port in Europe. I was thinking, oh, they're breaking up this weekend.
Speaker 3: A couple who is so deeply connected that they don't have to have a conversation all the time. Discussing in each other's presence is enough.
Speaker 2: I think that's lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's lovely. Christian Connell, Christian Podcast, Christians How Jack of Fearless Pain for the completed thousand piece jigsaw for me? Finished it. Take a photo. It's done for my father in law. He builds a frame, cuts glass, mounts them. This is like a idea. Well let it called Christine Hart. I've just shown this to Jack, a beautiful looking one of it's like the Atlas of the world, of the globe. It's an amazing black and white one that she said took her two weeks that they have mounted on wall that looks beautiful and trying to find out how many pieces. The song that sums up my weekend is this up on the roof, which is where I had to go yesterday to a neighbour's house. This kitt and we've got us. I think actually thinks it's a dog. It's just determined to it's a it's the breed of it. It's supposed to be one of these indoor cats. Some people have these things called indoor cats. I didn't know it was a concept. I had a cat when I was a teenager and he just would bugger off for a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Around this cat. Larry the cat is apparently purposely bred to stay indoors. But I feel sorry for him, you know, it's to be out there. He sees the dog's going out there. He cries, He literally me ows. He just stairs to the day looking outside. It breaks my heart. Yesterday morning, I get out and feeding the dogs and the puppies, and it's like the ark at the moment around her ours and I see Larry the count and I think, oh, can it deal. I have a little wander around the deck. You know, I'll keep an eye on him. So I go indoors, make a hot drink for myself, sit there watching it on. I'm chatting to my fifteen or daughter, Ruby and it's it's her cat. She's getting a bit of angsty. So now you don't think he's gonna run away. And I say it's a joke. Maybe today he's as big off and he's been waiting for this day. Seconds later, he literally shinnes up a tree, goes across the wall, jumps down the name of his garden. I leap up, go out to the garden and go Larry, Larry, Larry Larry. He doesn't even look round. Cats don't. He doesn't even look round a dog would look round. When he hit his name, He's gone. He is gone. He's into a neighbor's garden, right, some like ruby, We're gonna have to go around and wait the neighbors up. We've got these lovely, elderly neighbors. They're so friendly. But whenever I go around there, there's always some drama that I need helpful. So I'm not hammering on the doors. I've seven in the morning, you know, the long weekend, yesterday morning, and they open the door and I go, hey, listen, our cat is in your garden. Can I just get in the back there? They go, yeah, yeah, sure, come around the side. Obviously they're retired, they're still social distancing, so they stay indoors and I just go around the back. Right. They're now watching me and Ruby, the fifteen year old. Right. Larry is on their garacter sort of shed roof at the bottom of their garden. I'm looking at him, thinking how are we going to get him down now? So I tried to sort of shimmy up a pole and why it's got like a plastic drain bike. I'm going to pull this away and hurt myself. So I go if you've got a ladder, and I borrow a ladder. This is half seven yesterday morning. He has to come out. Now we're still social distance. He gets this extendable ladder out, hands it to me. I have to shove it in like his hedge, and they've got an immaculate garden. It must have been their pride and joy. It's wreck now I have to put this ladder as I get into it, sinking down in the said of their freshly dug sort of rose bed let up the side of this shed, and they've got a really high roof. Larry is about six foot. I got up there and Larry, he's just looking at me some bathing It's like Shawshank redemption, you know, when he puts that classical music on. Is this some joint his my, he's andy, he's out, he says some bathe in that beautiful sweet son on his cat face freedom, you know. And he's six feet from me and I can't. I can't get onto the roof because I'll go through it into the shed, right, and I go, Larry, Larry, He's not coming towards me. He's up. Screw you, I'm done. I'm out, so go and get cats. Only get motivated by one thing. Food. I won't go and get his bowl. She goes back indoors, feels up. His bold of food comes back right. The old couple's still back indoors now watching this whole drama. It's like some sort of theater show. Dad and the door driving a meltdown. I go up the ladder again now with his bowl. Larry starts to slowly come towards me. I'm doing you know, when you don't want to give away the glint in your eye, because I keep in my mind I'm practicing the grab. Do it slowly, like I'm gonna tickle him under the chin and then get that scruff OF's neck. I go, Harry.
Speaker 3: It's the same way they got Andrew to pray out and that morning's office in shawshake redemption.
Speaker 1: That's quite right, Yeah, Larry, come back here because he puts his head down and I've got him scruff's neck. And now I've got him, I'm like, I'm up this ladder. How do I get down the ladder? I can't use my hands. I'm wrestling him down like he's an on the run fugitive. He's reluctant. He doesn't want to come with me. He's doing that a couple of paws and trying to swing around like haymakers to try and get an eye out of my eyeball. And I now push him through a wrung then have to pass him over to my other hand. The teenagers now behind me going, don't hurt when he's okay? Like this there their mom does this when they're little kids. He's fine. We need to get him now. I passed him down to Ruby. Then the two of us have to walk down the streets. You know, a am with a cat who doesn't want to come with us, Like between, I'm not put my arms round her. She's got her arms around here and the of us and say thank you to the neighbors. They've got to put the ladder back. I forgot. I didn't go back with So that was our yesterday morning for half an hour to recapture Larry.
Speaker 3: So and now all doors locked at all times, he can't go outside.
Speaker 1: You might have this, Patsy, are you Are you at the age yet with already where you have to have a meeting, a family meeting. This is my wife's favorite things. Oh god, it's trouble is I wander into it. I don't realize we're having a meeting. I just think we're having a little chat. Oh, this is a meeting. I didn't know we were having a meeting. We've got a meeting tonight to decide what to do, letting Larry out, whether.
Speaker 3: He can be one that roams the straight, to whether he's stuck indoors.
Speaker 1: I quoted Sting I said, some times, if you love someone, you've got to set them free, you know, and the hope that they will come back. So we've got a big meeting tonight. So anyway, that's the song that sums up my weekend up on the roofs Connell Shoot