Speaker 1: The Flegs and Rooms Daily Podcast.
Speaker 2: Flexing Rooms Podcast Edition. This episode is going to be super fun. As always, we go deep, not subterranean, we go shallow deep, we go.
Speaker 3: One meter pull kitty laps.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I came across this term on TikTok called blowfishing. It is in the realm of catfishing, but has to do with I'm gonna stop myself.
Speaker 4: There was that a cliphanger almost jump scares be coming because literally, when you thought you've heard it all when it comes to these dating buzzwords, we haven't even scratched the surface.
Speaker 5: So stick around.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about that one?
Speaker 3: I do like whispering?
Speaker 4: That was nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into it, Flecks and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Somebody's asking us. Let's name him Kevin. Kevin wants to know if he is the asshole for permanently deleting his girlfriend's Instagram. What do you think?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm triggered by that, so that's a yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, listen to this.
Speaker 2: Kevin says, my girlfriend and I have been dating for five years now. He doesn't have any social media, No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, none of it. Says he's a private guy. Red flag and he likes keeping his personal life to himself. I understand that his girlfriend, on the other hand, is obsessed with Instagram. She has over eight hundred photos posted and is constantly scrolling through the app every waking moment she's not working or sleeping. How many photos do you have?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Over one thousand, eight hundred is just regular? If you've been posting on the app since twenty thirteen, of course you got Also.
Speaker 2: You get paid be on the app. I got almost three thousand. Again I shit post, though, he said he confronted her a few times about this in the last few years, and she always says she'll cut down, but she never does. Last week, he says, she was using his laptop because her laptop was at the store and she forgot to loog out of her email, so he used this as an opportunity to do that forget the password thing, so it sets the reset password link to her account, And while he was doing that, he also googled hattedly Instagram and then deleted her account just like that gone. He says that she woke up the next day and started screaming and crying about how he in quotations he's put permanently deleted her Instagram instead of deactivating it, and that he betrayed her trust, and now she won't talk to him because she says she can't recover Instagram and a profile of ten years is lost forever. He thinks she's being incredibly childish and throwing a tantrum over some random app and wants to knows he the asshole or nah.
Speaker 4: I would be going no exaggeration, to the police, for real, if somebody deleted my Instagram that is literally ten years gone, I'd probably lash out physically. I'm not gonna lie, probably hit some things, not him, because I don't promote violence of anything.
Speaker 3: Generic.
Speaker 4: Something's getting hit. Put it that way. What does he do for a work I'd go up to his work, probably spread some rumors, find his work account, send on some really inappropriate memes, make him look like a freak, and then yeah, break up with him. Yeah, there was no way you could stay with somebody who would have the goal to delete your social media because social media isn't just social media, like that's your photo album. It's like burning down a house or the photos inside it. You can't get It's exactly that, because that's all social media is.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 4: I think when you get to the bottom of it is the reason why we're chronicling everything is so that when we're sixty saggy and keep it going.
Speaker 3: I like that, sixty saggy and.
Speaker 4: Sentient, senile nice, sixty saggy, senile and barely sentient, we're gonna be looking back at our Instagram and thinking, yeah, damn, I was I slayed in Europe twenty thirteen. Yes, but now that has been completely taken away from it.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it because you can tell he's definitely conflating actual Instagram usage with posting. Yes, you know, like the memories, the eight hundred posts, totally valid. I don't think that's what he really dislikes is the fact that every waking moment she swipe, swipe.
Speaker 3: Swipe, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll.
Speaker 2: And for that reason, I don't think he's understanding the severity of what he's just done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he doesn't use Instagram.
Speaker 3: He's like, whatever the photos are? There are they?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: I've got two phones. One is the personal phone, one is the profession content business phone. And on my personal phone, I've run out of iCloud space for almost like a year and a half now two years. But when that happened, my phone was on the fritz, like it kept on freezing. I could not access it to take stuff off the phone and put it elsewhere, because like couldn't live in the cloud.
Speaker 3: I couldn't take it off.
Speaker 2: So I went to the Apple store and they were like, oh, yeah, that sucks, so just to wipe your phone.
Speaker 3: I was like huh.
Speaker 2: They're like, yeah, we'll just have to wipe it and like maybe some stuff will come back, maybe it won't, like I don't know, okay.
Speaker 4: And you couldn't just get more cloud space.
Speaker 3: No, you can only have two terabytes you had you.
Speaker 4: Had that much content? Yeah, far roun.
Speaker 2: I'm a documentarian, babe. So the options were you get a new phone and leave this phone as is. But the reason why I couldn't do that is because my number is hooked up to so much stuff, my two factor authentication. You're just going to be far too difficult to not maintain this number. So it's like, you know what, erase it all, erase those memories from two thousand and thirteen onwards. I didn't even need them, and so they did. That's amazing, And I was surprised that I wasn't heaps attached to it, but I was like, what are we gonna do now? Like I've got no choice. But thankfully the photos did come back, some of them. Anyway, Like twenty seventeen is gone, most years are gone.
Speaker 4: But it's quite funny, yeah, because often it like all twenty all to twenty fifteen will be there and there'll be a rogue year that's like, you're not too bad.
Speaker 2: I know what they're doing anyway. So this guy gonna name Kevin is an asshole. You've definitely crossed the line. You have overreacted. You have decided that your perception of old mates' usage is better than the reality. You've done nothing to try and understand what she's going through, and you've made an irreversible decision.
Speaker 3: You're a dick. You gotta go dol Yeah, in the bin.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on.
Speaker 2: Kita for me, has a bit of a confession about her ailment.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say this is necessarily in the mental illness category, but I would say that it's adjacent. So something that I do in my brain and I want to know if other people listening get this is I will draw a picture in my head, often when I'm about to go to sleep. So basically I draw a line down the middle, get a line through it, like a cross, and then two other lines are like in between the other bits.
Speaker 3: And it's feeling great.
Speaker 4: Witch, Yeah, it is a bit hex like, and then draw a circle around them, but the circles like within the sticks. And then I do a loop down like on the on the Road spells.
Speaker 3: This is a jon of arc the witches that were burned.
Speaker 4: So it's basically like a It's a symbol that doesn't mean anything. And I do it over and over around in my head like as many times that then I feel.
Speaker 2: Really like counting sheep. Yes, And how long do you think you've done this for? Well, I can remember at least like the past five years.
Speaker 4: I don't know what. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. It just is a fluffy occurrence. Doesn't really make me feel a certain way. But I asked a whole bunch of people on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And to your point, a couple was it last week or the week before we discussed that you have this thing that you've termed pre nut synesthesia. Yes, but basically you think of certain rows when we're having discussions, not because you're at that place, we're talking about that road.
Speaker 3: It just pops up in your brain.
Speaker 4: Yes, for no reason, weird associations that don't make sense. I think it's a brain wiring thing. Anyway, I asked lots of people and they said, I think of a three D cube and what just sometimes Yeah, it's my name incursive with a specific shape for the dot on the eye. The lines of a manual gear stick from first gear to reverse, three vertical lines, one horizontal. So people have these weird like sequences that they do in their head. They're like drawings.
Speaker 2: And to your point, you're scrolling through, so you made a question box on Instagram and you have a fair few submissions here. This is not one, two or three. This could be thirty, forty, fifty sixty. And I still don't know what it is. I don't want to say I don't get it. I think I can conceptualize it, but I'm like, but when and why? But there is no when and why.
Speaker 3: It just happens.
Speaker 4: Because it just happens, because maybe it happens more when you're anxious. I don't know. Anyway, I have a friend who has agreed to be on the show, so I'm gonna give her a call.
Speaker 3: And by a friend, you may produce a B and that's okay. She can be bothered to.
Speaker 4: Hello, God, that was a quick It's almost like you're in the room next door waiting brook. So what's your story? Dool?
Speaker 5: So I do this weird thing when someone talks to me. I'll get a certain word from that sentence and then I have to draw it on my teeth with my tongue.
Speaker 1: And it's in fours.
Speaker 5: So if, for example, rooms it's seven letters, I would then feel uncomfortable because then there's one missing. So I'd have to keep going and create words to complete the.
Speaker 4: Sentence four by four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it has to be in force otherwise I feel so uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Have you done that today?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Oh?
Speaker 7: Constantly?
Speaker 5: Like I literally I don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes.
Speaker 4: And why do you think it's four?
Speaker 5: I hate odd numbers, so it has to be like an even number, so it could be like a ten or whatever. And then I'll put like a little space in between the words as well.
Speaker 4: Why what's this odd number? Hate?
Speaker 3: I like my favorite numbers.
Speaker 4: Can't do it? How funny?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Also only have a volume on the right letter, I mean on the right number.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Once I've completed the sentence, I then draw a square with my tongue around it.
Speaker 4: See if to the person listening to this who doesn't get it flex, I don't know how to explain it beyond I know exactly what Brooke is talking about.
Speaker 2: But I love that you both know exactly what you're talking about. There must be a sense of like community happening right now. We're like, she gets me, she knows exactly what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, definitely, Well thanks Brook, Have you find some solace in this life? Oh?
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on.
Speaker 2: Every now and then somebody comes with a new term, a new buzz word in the dating realm, and more often than not doesn't stick.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: I think we've definitely latched onto gas lighting, love bombing and we've stopped there. Maybe there was breadcrumbing for a second.
Speaker 7: Crumbing was definitely there.
Speaker 2: Ghosting crowd favorite. A soft ghost is what I coined myself, very popular online. Yeah, you wean people off you. It's sweet, one might say, nice, not kind, but nice certainly not good not bad though debatable, let's not get into it. I came across as TikTok of somebody ready to introduce a new term to us. It's called blowfishing. Now off the dome. What do you think that means in the context of dating.
Speaker 4: Ah, inflating yourself and then pricking someone when they realize it's not real.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I forgot what blowfishing meant in my notes, and I knew there was a little TikTok to come back to so that we get surprised together.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I know it's it's something.
Speaker 2: About lying, concealing, maybe like over inflating, but I think that might be here. What does catfishing even mean?
Speaker 3: Let's well, no blood fishing.
Speaker 7: Listen to this. Have you heard the term blowfishing.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like catfishing, except instead of misrepresenting the way you look, you misrepresent your lifestyle, your income, your experience.
Speaker 7: Or your expertise.
Speaker 6: And it can be done through a very intentional manipulation of truth, or it can be done a little bit more covertly by leaving out important details that give context as to how you got from where you were to where you are now. And it's just one way that people are using manipulation in order to get more sales and book more clients or peer like they are more of an expert than they are so that they can make more money. So let me give you a real life example, because this actually happens in social media quite a bit. Let's say that there is this person. They have grown their account relatively quickly. It got into six figures relatively quickly, and they credit it to the fact that they have a really strong strategy that's organic and that anyone can accomplish. So with your limited resources, you can achieve the same results.
Speaker 7: This person has been featured in press.
Speaker 6: Yes, they've gotten interviews, and they've had the opportunity to work with maybe some interesting clients.
Speaker 2: Controversial, that was a tiktop from that Ali Mason talking about blowfishing being the new cat fishing.
Speaker 3: Very controversial.
Speaker 2: Rimy was nodding, nodding, nodding as that said it was going so blowfishing.
Speaker 4: It's interesting to me that this goes beyond dating. I find off on like breadcrumbing, this that is totally spoken about in the realm of dating. But actually you could probably use all of those not phrases or like ideas across different social interactions, like I've definitely been love bombed by someone a friend and then they've yeated off to a new friend.
Speaker 2: And that's a pattern of their Oh yeah, yeah, you're the favorite friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah the moment, Yeah yeah, flavor the month. What is with those people?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure and I don't think it's a bad thing. I've definitely had a favorite person, but they've turned out to be, you know, lifelong friends. Like Grace is my favorite person, she stayed.
Speaker 3: I just think.
Speaker 2: It's it's tricky, but to the point of blow fissue. When we were talking about our podcast stats and how what is that start? Where like the sixth most listened to podcast in the way yeah, very can which is.
Speaker 4: The biggest network in Australia in terms.
Speaker 2: Of Oh, it's huge, it's a great stat But I was telling you about how some podcast people will say that they've had a million listens, knowing that the average person will think that a million listens means a million individual people, whereas you could have had ten thousand people listen one hundred thousand times or a million people listen once. But because people will go with their interpretation of it, which is usually more positive than the reality of it, very blow fishy thing to do.
Speaker 4: Interesting? Do we want to docs?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Never, but yes to the point of blowfishing. Have you experienced that or have you blowfished in the dating context?
Speaker 4: I've definitely blowfished. Oh yeah, inflated my age?
Speaker 3: How do you do that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Just take my pea plates down? What I think we're spaking about this? I swear all these stories I've told before. Yeah, I used to take I was dating a guy, yeah, who turned out to be my boyfriend. But I didn't want him to know how old I was or how young I was, So I just take my pea plates down. Who pick him up in my car with my little green peaplates on?
Speaker 2: You picking up your older boyfriend in your car plates? So he thinks you're older than you are. He didn't know how old you are.
Speaker 3: Nah, I don't.
Speaker 4: Speak about it for like six months, willful ignorance.
Speaker 3: This is the same one surf dive and speak Okay, this poor man.
Speaker 4: It's like we're out of each other's lives away.
Speaker 3: I'm ring home this story.
Speaker 4: I think he is a great person. But yes, this is all the same person. It just so happens that these are great fodder stories. It's actually not a representation or reflection on him. But yes, I'm doging him. If you knew him, you'd probably love him. Yeah, I would take my pea plates down and also would say, yep, like I've got this job. I've had this job for this amount of time, the kaya job in reality, been doing it for three months.
Speaker 3: Well you're good.
Speaker 4: I was a complete blowfisher, which I think. Yeah, it's different to catfishing because I think a lot of the time blowfishing comes from a place of wanting to impress the person, not.
Speaker 3: You justifying it.
Speaker 2: I can imagine that if people were fish, it would be for a very good reason. I noticed a lot of blowfishing, specifically with people who say they work in tech because they know that we think they're building apps and selling them to lassion. Whereas if you just happen to work in a facility that makes tech product and you work at the call center, like sure, you work in a tech environment, but people know they amp that up, similar to like I work in media that one because you know people are like, oh, okay, well so you are what like the head of creative at a SO and so. No, you run a casual podcast that's okay, but it's a blowfishy thing to do.
Speaker 1: Do you think so?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I think it's only blowfishy if you yourself put emphasis on a certain area. So like tech didn't used to be cool, Tech was nerdy before media. I guess media has always been kind of cool.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would say I feel like, you know, it's blowfishing because especially when you're talking to random people, they like to provide little nuggets of flex to make you feel like they're a good partner. And so there are key words or phrases that you'll say that give a person the impression that you are more eligible than not. Like saying you work in hospitality definitely comes across better than I'm a bartender.
Speaker 3: They're the same thing.
Speaker 2: One just has a bit of a flare to it, saying you work in law versus I'm a lawyer, but you just work at the law place as a janitor. It's okay, but you know what you're doing. And if there's a whole term for it must be rampant on the apps. I like this, you like it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I like this term.
Speaker 4: I think this is finding a way to talk about something.
Speaker 2: That a lot of people do you included a lot of people, a lot of people, party of ones, Karen Fruits Rice.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Kida.
Speaker 2: Last week we talked about how you can't name your child Linda or Sandra in Saudi Arabia for various reasons. But they have a list of illegal names eventually that aren't keeping on the culture, or they're alluding to too much celebrity or whatever it might be. But today I want to tell you about what you can't name a kid in New Zealand. Oh we haven't Zelander in the room as well, Brook, we do got the quota up, so listen to this. You cannot name your child Lucifer sex fruit, sex fruit, yes, mafia, no fear, or anal.
Speaker 4: Baby, anal little baby Lucifer.
Speaker 2: And look, I would love to understand when, how and why the government jumps and says yeah, Na, that's not gonna work for us, because in some instances, like if Elon Musk can name his kid symbols and letters and have that somehow miraculously be pronounced as ash, I would imagine there would be some lee with words like Lucifer, like baby Lucy that can't be Anyway.
Speaker 4: The Lucifer one I find interesting because obviously it means the devil in some cultures Christianity, I believe. But Lucifer was a name before it was the devil's name, you know what I mean. Jesus was a name before Jesus. Beyonce was a name before Beyonce. So just because these people have taken that name and claimed it should mean that you can't call your baby Lucifer.
Speaker 2: So what Fris means to say is that cultural context does not matter when naming children.
Speaker 3: Gives the damn.
Speaker 4: It's just it's just a combination of letters. Lucifer is a nice name. Objectively, what would you name your kid allegedly.
Speaker 3: M it's a good one.
Speaker 4: I see you with allegedly alas yeah, and then I as the first name, and then the middle name is Digress.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frims Daily podcast. For more, need on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.