Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Wholbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impactful tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money podcast that makes personal finance.
Speaker 2: Fun, especially on Fridays.
Speaker 3: It is our favorite day of the week because we get our team together and celebrate obviously you the incredible shees on the Money community and International Women's Day with Miss j who oh yay for you, I said, miss and You're like yay.
Speaker 2: I just really love like the money wins I share.
Speaker 3: I do too, and I adore International Women's Day and Beck You've obviously always got some breake tips for USS is my favorite to record of the week because it always goes nowhere that it was meant to.
Speaker 2: It's obviously not scripted.
Speaker 3: We just go I know the roles here, I know what I have to bring. Jess, you have to bring the money. Wins Beck, you have to bring the breake tips. Anything that happens in and there about like not our responsibility, Luly.
Speaker 4: We wipe our hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like when you straighten your hair back of my head, not my responsibility.
Speaker 2: I don't care what she's doing.
Speaker 3: But moving on from that, we also are going to be helping to answer aducing money dilemma this week. We're going to be talking about whether you need to bother super splitting if you plan on retiring together anyway, and something is slid into our dms about experiencing the motherhood penalty at work. Feel like that one's a good one because I'm starting to feel that but you two are probably not going to relate, but you're like, oh, we know that it exists. Oh yeah, so I think it'd be an interesting conversation before we get there.
Speaker 2: Guys, would you like a five star review?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Sultly, So I'm gonna laugh a little bit. This is from Maya and Miya gave us a five star review, which is really really nice, but she gave it to us on Google.
Speaker 2: Honestly, whatever I can get.
Speaker 3: At this point, Mia says five stars not to sound dramatic, but that she's on the money podcast has transformed the way I think and act with money. I used to literally spend every last cent in my bank account for no good reason. Now I have an emergency fund, savings investments, and I have dedicated bank accounts, meaning I don't have the stress of whether I can pay for things or not.
Speaker 2: I just know.
Speaker 3: I'm so fortunate to have found this podcast, especially when I was transitioning into full time work from UNI.
Speaker 2: It was the best time.
Speaker 3: The podcast are super entertaining and engaging and so much fun to listen to on my commute to work and home. I feel like I have friends in my car with me.
Speaker 2: Lol. Love you guys.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that is so nice to me.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm so sweet stoked for her.
Speaker 2: That is so good.
Speaker 3: Like the idea, she didn't just like leave a podcast review while listening. She literally sought us out googled us to try and leave a review. She would have had to make sure she was logged in to do that.
Speaker 2: Like that, it is so cute. I love that.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel so special that you guys really value what we do because obviously we put a lot of energy into it, but like that doesn't mean that other people see that or impacted by it. So it's just so nice. Now I want to know, are were weeks? What's been going on International Women's Day? Have you made cupcakes? Have you decorated your house like I would fully expect from What do you color.
Speaker 2: The symbolic thing? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And sorry if t am I, but I like to paint and collect labia manora madura literal hood so shaped, things so shaped. Sorry that.
Speaker 3: You did not give enough information you were like I like to collect baby is I mean?
Speaker 2: More power to you and you know not.
Speaker 4: Using the soaps just absolutely and they're quite ergonomic. But I do want to say also, I know that they're not everyone who identifies as a woman or who's celebrating International Women's Day have those that anatomy. But those things, I just think they're just quite beautiful when you look at them with an artistic lens.
Speaker 2: A beautiful thing to.
Speaker 4: Look totally so that's my on International Women's say yet.
Speaker 2: Collect soap? Who would have known that that's what was going to come up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I love it. But then now are you surprised? No, it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not we get it. I respect it. That's Callbeck.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I like that you think it's ergonomic.
Speaker 4: Yes, I can't say too much, all right, no worries.
Speaker 2: I love that for you.
Speaker 3: I also really love that you've called out that not absolutely everybody who's going to be celebrating International Women's Day is going to identify in a particular way, and I can't love that, Like absolutely, it's actually about just trying to celebrate the contributions that women have, focus on how we can make that better and like just really push forward. And I just think that that's a really beautiful way of doing it. So thank you for adding that for us. What are you doing in the office? What are you up to, Beck, apart from collecting Labia shaped soaps?
Speaker 4: Well, I well, my week's been actual, really really fun. So you know how I have like a new hobby every single week, Well, this one is too, yes, and Libia's and also stick and pokes and so to celebrate did you get anyone I have what's.
Speaker 2: A stick and poke?
Speaker 4: I totally ravished my legs? Is that the right word?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I did notice that there were a few new things that I hadn't seen.
Speaker 2: Things you can tell.
Speaker 3: I can tell you've done it, and I saw you on Instagram. I'm like, girlfriend, are you giving your friend a tattoo at home? We could not be more different.
Speaker 2: I'm well, that's it.
Speaker 4: And also where you can see, like, there's shaved bits of my leg and that's where my tattoos are on there. I'm adding every single person that I love on my leg and so sweet ten names right now, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to add you guys. No, you're not as.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong. I think that we like all on the same page.
Speaker 3: Hey, would you guys like to come over for a craft afternoon at my house?
Speaker 2: Both of you be like, heck, yeah, Beck's bringing her tattoo gun. You're bringing your blue gun. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: When they say there are two kinds of people in this world, that's all I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, and.
Speaker 4: We come together, so well, don't we comping me.
Speaker 2: With that tattoo gun?
Speaker 6: They look great though. You did a good job.
Speaker 2: Thank you. So much.
Speaker 4: I was going to come for you two next but I see you probably don't want a stick and poke tattoo. It's also very painful and very slow.
Speaker 2: Pros about it, but I say that's probably not my journey. But I'm not gonna lie. I would loved what you do want.
Speaker 6: Is my favorite, like one of my favorite styles artistically, Like I don't have tattoos. I don't think I get a tattoo, but I love how they look. Yes, so unique.
Speaker 2: Yes, I totally agree.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Jessica Ricky.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know that was a thing until right now, so I'm not even going to pretend to have any level of.
Speaker 2: Education on that.
Speaker 3: But thank you for involving me in the conversation. But what about you, guys, how's your week's been?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I live, love, laugh like I've just been working my life away. You're a powerful woman, and I appreciate you. I really dave days. I really adore that you see it that way, because I've cried it this week out in the nicest possible way, just like work is overwhelming. There's just so much going on, and I think it would be a miss of me not to mention that and be like, oh yeah, like it's always good.
Speaker 2: It's always good.
Speaker 3: Like it's just sometimes being a woman in business is bloody hard, and you know what, that's okay, Still grateful to be here, still so excited about all of it. Like, guys, I still don't know what I'm doing. Most of the time. I've just been making it up.
Speaker 2: I am just a baby. But it turns out when you're the boss, no one's going to come in and be like, oh, we can fix it. Like this, honey, I've got to come up with my own solutions. What do you mean, where's my boss? Had supervision? Sometimes I do call Jess. I'm like, help me.
Speaker 6: It's just fun, can't which is we're just doing our best.
Speaker 2: That's okay, we're just making up and that is so fun.
Speaker 3: But it's been good, and it's probably been the perfect week for it, because you know, being International Women's Day.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes we're always like.
Speaker 3: Yay, like let's celebrate and have some cupcakes, but like, let's also celebrate that I kept a one year old alive, still maintained a house and ran two businesses and not into the ground, like amazing. Love that that's incredible. Yes, Sleigh and all the things that they're doing are just incredible. I love women, matter what it looks like.
Speaker 6: I think that they genuinely women make the world go around. I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 3: That's the truth. Yeah, no, yeah, I agree, it is all right. Let's get further into the episode. Mis just a gritchi from the women in our community. What money, wins and confessions you're bringing to the.
Speaker 2: Table, alrighty.
Speaker 6: Firstly this week, I've got a win from Teleo, who said she was lucky enough to receive two scholarships for her court who which equates to just over sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What wow, crazy.
Speaker 6: She used doing incredible things. Congratulations, Yeahdia. Next, an equally exciting win from Ebony, who said she remembered to ship back the clothes she bought online within the refund period. Oh great, you love to see it. There's nothing worse than going to return something and realizing you missed it by a day or two. So thrilled with that. Next, I've got a money win from Rachel, who has taken a leave out of your book Back she said, the door handle on my car snapped off, and I was quoted just over five hundred dollars to replace it.
Speaker 2: Heck no. Instead, I bought.
Speaker 6: The replacement part brand you have eBay for twenty six dollars fifty including the shipping, and I installed it myself after watching YouTube videos showing me how it was a super easy fix and I saved myself so much money.
Speaker 4: Yes and icon ye so happy about that.
Speaker 6: One. My boyfriend's door handle was actually broken off on the inside of his cart. Maybe I should see if I can fix it absolutely like girl power. Next, I've got a money in from Taylor who said she ordered some wine glasses for her sister in law's at Hen's party. She got them online Click and Collect. They were four dollars for a pack of four. So not only did she get sixteen glasses for sixteen dollars, but then she went in store to pick them up and she saw they were still full price for ten bucks back.
Speaker 2: What money, my wors.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you click and Collect did the purchase in store.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you had a glass money win.
Speaker 3: On the weekend, we celebrated my son's first birthday and they ordered all of this, like cups and plates and balls and stuff. And it came on Monday, instead of on the Saturday for Friday, and I'd paid for express, so I was like, cool, now I have all this party stuff I'm never going to use. No, I actually put it in the cupboard because like, I know that I'll use it in the future.
Speaker 2: It's like just plain. But that's like the worst for mine. But it's alway I.
Speaker 3: Had to go to Kohl's and purchase like all this other stuff. Anyway, not the worst, but that was the money lost from me definitely. Next, I've got money in from Christy who said she discovered that her private health insurance has coverage for swimming lessons.
Speaker 2: For her kids.
Speaker 6: Great. Would never use me about that, but I was like, I have to read that out, so everyone who's got kids and insurance or obsessed. Christie said she's with HCF if that's helpful to anybody.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 6: And then lastly this week, I've got a money win from Anna, who said money win. I educated myself on how to do a proper tax return, understanding what I can deduct and things like that, and I managed to reduce my taxable income enough to be eligible for government paid parental leave.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, that is iconic, Queen. I love that How cool is that? I have really good? Well done?
Speaker 6: Everybody, well done? Everyone is so good. Beck, some tips? How are you gonna follow Jess this week?
Speaker 4: Actually it's quite hard after that.
Speaker 2: That's okay, we'll pretend that didn't happen. What have you got? Okay?
Speaker 4: So first one comes from Holly who says this actually came at a very timely time. You say that I was making ramen, and then Holly messaged me same night night of and said, when you're cooking and needs stock, buy stock cubes. There's so much better value for money. You can buy one leader of pre made stock for around a dollar eighty at Aldi's a pack of twenty one of the stock cubes for the same price, which makes twenty one cups of stock five point two five liters.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's a good deal. She's done the matter.
Speaker 6: Less quickly too. I imagine, yes, exactly. The thing probably expire totally. I mean, I'm sure the cubes do too, but yeah, open, yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm not gonna lie. I'm not like a liquid stock early. I just can't justify it. I have a tin of the massell.
Speaker 2: I love Masada.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in my pantry, and that's what we're using I don't care if it says bone broth that means stock. Yeah, bone bro I said stock at this point, I do because I watched a lot of tiktoks on it, and yes, there are multiple health benefits. But when I realized that purchasing bone broth is like fourteen dollars.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't even want those benefits. That's all good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah yeah, And I don't have like people will message me and just need to disclaim it and be like you can make your own. It's so cheap, and like it totally is because you get old soup bones to make bone broth. I don't have the time or the energy or the commitment. No, maybe one day, maybe one day I'll do it. Yeah, I feel like I'll be that person one day. I feel like we all be that person one day. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sourdough at home and that also just really quickly, I want to say that lust. I don't actually remember when I said this, but I know that one of my Brock tips was that I keep my car and fifth kid where possible. But someone that you that was terrible kindly let me know. I believe Jazz is their name. Very kindly let me know that it is actually quite bad for the car and actually may also use more petrol. So don't do that, please, actually that Yes, so I'd like to take that back, and I'm so sorry to anyone who listened to that has.
Speaker 2: Been to stop doing that. Stop doing that right now where I.
Speaker 4: Had now, I would maybe kindly ask you to don't do that.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: What else if you go? Next one comes from.
Speaker 4: Phoebe, who says she found a little savings sack that she accidentally discovered. Usually she buys the free filled debt L foaming hand soap. Usually one leater bottle is about four refills for the foaming soap. Stay with me, here's a few numbers. I accidentally purchased the regular non foaming, which is too viscous for the foaming dispenser. However, if you water it down to the ratio of one to five, which I believe is one part soap five parts water, it works perfectly fine. So instead of paying raugh flee two dollars sixty for twenty fifty mil, it's sixty cents.
Speaker 3: Oh she's smart, she's worked it out, Yes, and a game the system. She also said it's often half priced.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of soap conversation going on, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of soap conversations. Basically, when it's half priced, it's tho cents for That's so cool because I could.
Speaker 6: Only really lack foamy soap.
Speaker 4: But it's so much for.
Speaker 2: Me too normal.
Speaker 3: We are all just refilling our ASoP bottles at home, right like with Harliff.
Speaker 6: If I had an a bottle, I absolutely I know.
Speaker 1: Bottle.
Speaker 3: One time I got it as a present, people like I appreciated it so much. Someone for our engagement party gave me the ASoP hand cream and the soap together, and I remember my husband so like, he didn't get it.
Speaker 2: He's not a girl's girl. He was like, someone brought us.
Speaker 3: Soap for our birth for our engagement and I was like, Steve, that's literally one of the things I'm most excited about. And for our wedding one of my favorite presents, guys, I got a giant dip teak candle gorgeous. Like no, it's just this big candle in a ceramic part. You can get them at Mecca. They are so expensive. I would never purchase it, but it's now my prize possession and maybe like a year ago, I had an argument with my husband because he tried to light it. No oh those Oh no, that looks functional, sir, touch it, don't even ask what happens. Imagine if he'd actually lit it, would hands thrown? Absolutely not anyway, thank you for coming to my ted talk about that. But yeah, I am definitely refilling my pump dispenser with pamel if it's just live love laugh.
Speaker 2: I'm sorryutely, I really no.
Speaker 4: I love that this next one comes for myself obviously. Oh good, I found I happened upon this thing called first table.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, we've talked about first table before, but this is a very good broke tip. Did I no, no, no, okay, Jess and I have spoken about it years ago, so time, my god go back.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a new thing because also.
Speaker 2: What's first table?
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, okay, So I believe you can either use an Apple, you can go on your on just like any standard website and just type in first table and you'll have a look and there's like restaurants on there. Thinking it was new, I was like, it's not gonna be anything on it. But I was like, I'll go to Bruns. We can see what's up. There's so many restaurants that are offering first and last table, looking do the last one. You can also do last one only for some that must be new. Yeah, I think it's a new thing. So it's like, you know, you're four pms five pms of the world. Yeah, and you're eight pms of the world. Those two slots are fifty percent off.
Speaker 2: So that such a good deal.
Speaker 3: You can have a date on a budget at a restaurant that maybe was out of budget. Yes, eat dinner at five pm, home by like seven thirty. I agree in normal, iay with my book. I agree. It's actually a dream, and like that's not even mum in me. That's literally me being like, say less, Jessica, you're saying that we're home by seven thirty. I'm in bed like tucked up with my tiktoks at eight thirty.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, I wanted to dream.
Speaker 4: The eating dinner late thing. I just don't get every and done with basically, but yes, you can do that, and so your dinner will be fifty percent off, So just jump on have a look, adore. Yeah, I love that and such a good idea.
Speaker 3: I feel like we eat dinner really late in my house and the reason is just because we're working. Yeah, that's like I get home at like six pm, my husband doesn't get home till after that. I've got a ratty baby, who's you know, needing bed, bath book like all of that, and you just go, we aren't eating till eight thirty.
Speaker 2: I need to get I need to get better at it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, maybe if we had lost stable, everything would be solved exactly. All right, guys, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, I want to dive into whether you should be super splitting if you're planning or retiring together anyway, like why would you bother? And something that just slid into our DMS about this week, we are talking about experiencing the motherhood penalty at work.
Speaker 2: So don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording, and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hey, she's on the money.
Speaker 5: I just want to start by saying I've learned so much from the podcast, so thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Now I'm at the age.
Speaker 5: Where a lot of my female friends are taking career breaks to have kids, so I try and bring up what I've learned from the podcast about super splitting. But the main thing I'm hearing from people is, Oh, we're retiring together, so it really doesn't matter. I'd love to hear what you think about this way of thinking, because it seems to be like, really really common, and how do I get people to see that it actually does matter. Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: It was just throw you guys straight in the ring back, Jess, what do you reckon?
Speaker 4: I just think you never know what's going to happen. I understand that that's the goal when you enter into a life. An ideally lifelong partnership is that you will be together for the rest of your life. But anything it happened, and you could maybe you'll you know, Touch would either fall out of love, but nothing actually bad happens. You just like you both kind of go your separate ways, or someone doesn't mean bad or whatever. Like, there's so many things that could go wrong if you just hope and kind of rely on the I guess the fact that you might retire together.
Speaker 2: And so I think that, like.
Speaker 4: Life is long, you guys, the person who's speaking kind of sounds quite young. So I'm like, you and your friends probably have like forty years left of working before you tied together, and in that time, anything can happen, and you might get to a point. It's basically just like, if you get to a point where you are ready to retire and you're actually single for whatever reason, Touch would and you have nothing in your super or significantly less than what you could have had if you had split your super or whatever. I just I just think it's quite risky. It's too risky to not be doing that. And yeah, I mean as a pessimist by nature, Actually I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I am.
Speaker 3: Divorced back, yes, and the other fifty percent ended death, yes.
Speaker 2: And then and then the.
Speaker 4: Other alternative is that you are financially dependent on this person. You're like, no, I have to retire with this person because I unfortunately don't have enough of my SUPER. And so you're just for the remainder of your working years or the remainder of your you know, from retirement and beyond miserable. So you're either miserable, or you're still together, happy, or you're single. And I just think there's there there are a few different options, few different ways because this could play out. It's just way too risky, Yeah, to be relying on that totally. Just yeah, same page. I was just going to quickly define, maybe for anyone who didn't know. Super splitting is just the concept that if one partner stops working for a period of time or for the remainder of you know, their working days, rather than continuing to contribute to SUPER, which is something that we've kind of suggested historically, they rely on the fact that, you know, their partner will have access to their SUPER at.
Speaker 2: Sixty sixty five still yep, sixty.
Speaker 6: Five sixty five, and then they'll both live off of their partners super, which is problematic exactly as you were saying, Beck, because you know, you are not guaranteed anything over the course of however, many years, I think it probably just puts women disproportionately on the back foot. Yeah, particularly because women primarily statistically are the primary caregiver. It impacts, I would argue, more women than men. And I just don't like that it makes you reliant on somebody else. I have a friend whose grandparents got divorced at the age of black, maybe seventy. I don't actually know this specific day, but they were all they got divorced, and then they're dating other people now and if, oh my goodness, and you love I love to see it for the happy Yes, the dating tea is piping hot. But as I need to be added to this great chat immediately I said to it's really not. It's still you got you know what I mean, twenty five percent of your life hopefully left after that. I just don't like the idea of anyone having to stay in a situation because they're relying on somebody else, regardless of if it's super or something different. It gives me a little bit of the hebgbis makes.
Speaker 2: Me nervous totally. I am in agreeance with that.
Speaker 3: I think that all of those points we've made on the podcast before, but also is really important to bring up today. But then what I'm going to focus on is why should you do it? Even if you're retiring together. So let's pretend like you have lived, loved, laughed, and you are genuinely retiring together. There are benefits to doing so. So there are you know, tax benefits, so there are superanuation contribution caps. This is relatively unrelatable because the contribution cap for twenty three twenty four is actually one point nine million dollars and we know that not that many people actually have that amount in SUPER. But hypothetically, as a benefit, if you were getting close to that cap, you could transfer some of your SUPER to your partner's account so that you could continue to contribute to SUPER, which is very attractive. If you're dating an older person, what if they're older than you, you can transfer your SUPER to them to be able to access it early if you're planning on retiring early. That is often a strategy that is used. Because you were saying before Jess like, you can't access your superanuation until you are sixty five, and that's what's called a preservation age, and that's the age at which you can access your SUPER without any additional tax like implications, so you know, if you do it before, you can still access it, Like you could retire early at sixty, you're just paying a bit of tax to access that earlier, and that's not very sexy. So by using your partner's superanuation account and their preservation age, you could potentially access it earlier, and it might be useful if you guys want to retire a bit earlier, but you're a bit too young nice for some Obviously centlling benefits. So if you're eligible for the age pension, like super held by a partner under the age pension age is actually not counted as an asset because you can't access it. So like if you are both sixty five, they are going to take into consideration both of your supers, but if your partner is sixty, she can't access it or he can't access it. So if you wanted to make a cent link strategy, you could do so by working with a financial advisor to make sure that you're getting the full benefit of the aged pension. Obviously, by shifting your super younger partner, you might increase eligibility payments for the like for pension, but I think it's important to realize that, Like, obviously, if you're flushed with cash, doesn't matter how much you move, Like you're not going to get the age pension for free. Like we're talking about making the most of a situation because you're operating as a partner and essentially you're using two accounts but as a couple you have X and then maximizing contributions. So obviously by splitting contributions, you might actually increase how many non concessional contributions you can make, which is again sexy. But I won't keep going on because those are mainly tax questions. So if you're planning on doing that, talk to an account or talk to your financial advisor, because those are things that are probably a little bit more complex. Like these are just coming from financial or ex financial advisor Victoria. That's like, oh yeah, like I get the question, and like your response, Beck was perfect and so was yours. Just but like, from a pragmatic point of view, why would you do it? There are actually some tax benefits, pension benefits. Talking about centling not as sexy really important to understand.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and just I'm so sorry. One last thing, if you are going to tell your friends maybe to ask their partners. This is really really good to know, might be telling of their actual like how they maybe come to I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but this could be a red flag.
Speaker 4: So tell your friends to just ask their partners and if their partner's like, no way would they do? That might be symptomatic of something bigger. Why are they not open to that? Have they not come into this agreement to have a child together? Do they just not think that women been financially independent is important? It opens up a whole other conversation. So tell them to just ask them anyway and see what their response is about splinting it or about making contribution? Yeah, splitting sorry, I should say, always a good conversation. It's a good conversation to have, and it might be it might show sides that you didn't know. Were there?
Speaker 2: No love? All right? Do you want to get into the DM we got this week? Guys? Yeah? You ready? Okay?
Speaker 3: Hi, she's on the money. What do you think about this? After my first babe, work was fine. I came back picked up where I left off and it was all good. But now after baby number two, it's a different story. I was leading big projects in line for a promotion and on track. But since I got back, it's like I don't exist. My role's been in quotation marks adjusted, aka all the boring admin no one wants to do.
Speaker 2: And my boss actually said they didn't.
Speaker 3: Want to overwhelm me now that I have two kids. What Meanwhile, my male colleagues, some who also just had babies, are getting more responsibility while I'm over here proving I can still do my whole job. Nothing about my skills have changed. But suddenly I'm being treated like I should have been grateful just to be here. I have gone back because we need the money, so I don't know what we should be doing. How do I deal with this? Well, i'd be offer especially if my male colleagues had baby. It's like when people are like, oh, yes, where's your baby, and it's like, why are you asking?
Speaker 2: How are your business?
Speaker 6: Sorry? Hey, v where's your baby? No pay should be penalized for having a child. It's predict I would argue that this sounds like it probably goes against a lot of fair work clauses.
Speaker 3: I would be calling like helor Melady, just like a little bit of advice.
Speaker 6: That would be my suggestion. I think we've had a few people overtime DMS various things about you know, being a parent, returning to the workforce, and I always say talk to Fair Work because there are regulations in place to protect you, particularly from taking time off to have a child. That's why parental pay exists, whether it's through a company, whether it's through the government. I would also review your contract, look at any information that might be particular to your role, if you had company based parental leaves that you used, because that might differ slightly from legislation. Doesn't overrule legislation necessarily, but it's good to know. And then yeah, jump on the Fairwork website. There's heaps of information available on there. Give them a call. Their team is super helpful. You know, they want to make sure that you're protected and looked after. But you should not be being penalized. It makes me really angry to hear that that's the case, because taking time off to have a child, taking time off for anything, really, it doesn't impact your ability to do good work. If anything, it's given you new skills, a new outlook, a new perspective, and I think to be penalized for that is just absolutely apparent. It makes me very like I'm getting angry.
Speaker 2: Can you actually it's actually so cooked right?
Speaker 3: Like it makes me really mad because I think since becoming a mum and I've only been here a year, thanks for having me, guys, I have found that I'm doing so much more in less time because I have this sense of urgency to return home more on time than ever. I want to be present for my son, I want to be around, I want to do all of the family things. But I'm very much like, okay, cool, I don't have time to mess around anymore. I'm going to spend this whole morning doing ABC DNE and I'm going to make it happen.
Speaker 4: Whereas before I.
Speaker 3: Might have been like, oh yeah, Jess, do you want to go get a coffee? And like in between like I was and I'm boss of my business. I was such an unproductive employee before, Like now I'm like, oh, hold on, I wasn't I operating like this before? So I feel like that makes a lot of sense for me. But then also there's research to back that that working mums are putting in more time, more energy, more effort and are definitely you know, running rings around people who maybe aren't parents, and we're being undervalued. I would be marching into my boss's office and being like, hey, like, I just.
Speaker 2: Wanted to flag this.
Speaker 3: I'm really feeling like because like we always lead with how we're feeling about a situation like this, I feel as though I'm not getting the responsibility back. But like Jerry over there, he just had a baby, literally same situation. He's actually got three kids and he has so I'm just wondering, like, what about it. Can I have some feedback because I think that that might be a very stuck reminder to them that maybe they are treating you differently. And I'm not going to say this is acceptable for any second of time, but the reality is sometimes this is subconscious and people are like, oh, we don't want to put that load on back, And then when Beck's like, hey, why wouldn't you do that for Jerry, they're like, oh, God, look what we're doing. Like we're doing exactly what we said we wouldn't. So yeah, go to fair Work if you feel like that's the support you need. But I would honestly be calling it out in your workplace first in a really kind and gentle way, like we don't need to be aggressive, Like hey, I was just wondering, like, when can I take on the full capability of my old role, because honestly, I'm really bored with this. That's not an issue, which is yeah where I'm at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely agree. I was going to say the same thing basically, I would maybe and you know, I just want to I do want to say, like, it does suck that there are people that come into the same situation as someone else, and you know this situations look very similar, but one person, for absolutely no reason must fight or work harder to be acknowledged or recognized. That does suck. And so what I want to do is just like really do find out, like ask around and talk to these men who have come back from whatever, you know, parental evil, whatever, from having a childild and make sure that this is actually not not that it's not happening, but make sure there's a way where you can like come to the table and be like this person just had a baby, they are now being promoted all this person. You know, you have your facts ready, but yes, I would definitely talk about it first, because as you say it, like it's it's sometimes completely unconscious.
Speaker 2: You just have no idea and it's awful that that's happening.
Speaker 3: Ye, that might be the experience, and like just being like, oh, you wouldn't have done this for Jerry, would you is going to like hopefully snap them out of it and then they go, oh, yeah, no, Jess, You're so right, We're so like, you know, that must have been overlooked and they might not ever admit it. Like I kind of don't care if they don't admit it as long as they change their behavior for the bet totally.
Speaker 2: So do you want to know what the community had to say?
Speaker 4: Definitely, yeah, yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: So we asked what would you do if you were in this position? Sixty four percent of you said you'd call it out and demand your old roll back. Six percent of you said work hard to prove yourself again, twenty eight percent said start job hunting. We asked, have you or someone you know experienced the motherhood penalty at work? Forty seven percent of you said I've seen it happen, twenty percent of you said it happened to me, and thirty four percent of you said no, my workplace is actually pretty supportive.
Speaker 6: Twenty two thirds of people is amazing.
Speaker 3: And then when you said, what are your two cents, We said, share your opinions. One person said, I'm three weeks back from eternity, leaving in an executive position, and I feel so much pressure to prove myself. Another person said, legally, she's entitled to return to a job with a similar level of responsibilities, which is true, but that doesn't mean that you get it because they might be misogynistic. Another person said, mine said the same to me, and I vengeance leveled up. Better to get out if you're not valued psychotic.
Speaker 2: I like that. I'm a vengeance level out of here. Bye.
Speaker 3: Someone else said I don't have kids and feel at my age I get penalized for this, expected to work extra hours, overtime, et cetera.
Speaker 2: That's a cool Yeah, women, you can't win. No oh.
Speaker 3: Someone else said I've had the opposite returning to work. We have a lack of flexibility with responsibilities, which is an interesting take as well. So I feel like that's all we've got time for today, so we might wrap it up there, but good chat, Happy International Women's Day, guys. So grateful to be part of this community and get to hang out with you guys all day and with my two co hosts, Jess and Beck.
Speaker 2: What a pleasure. I love it. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 6: Guys, Bye, guys bye.
Speaker 3: The ad buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria divine and She's on the Money. Authorized Representatives of Money, sheirper P T Y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight A F s L four five one two eight nine