Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to is on the Money the podcast Millennials who want financial Freedom. Today is Friday, which means it's time to get the team together and celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community. Today, I'm flying solo. I've been left to my own devices.
Speaker 2: Victoria's in Europe.
Speaker 4: You're sick, but fear not, because I do have someone ready to chime.
Speaker 2: You know, I know if you're at the pilot's seat and you've just announced to the people on the plane that you're flying solo. If I am the person that you want to stand up and go.
Speaker 4: I'll help you absolutely anyway. I will if anyone we want you. For those who don't recognize the iconic voice, we've got the wonderful Kate Langbrook joining us.
Speaker 2: I did jump the gun on introducing myself and chipping in, Oh any time, please do? Is this the rudder? Well, we do whatever.
Speaker 4: We want to make sure you put your own mask on first before you help those around you.
Speaker 2: I come, was it Scully? Tom Hanks? You know who landed the plane in the middle of the Hudson River? Sally Sally close O Scully is Yeah, the truth is out there. Look, Anna, Lisa has already proven herself to be invaluable.
Speaker 4: Absolutely as she always does. For those of you who don't know Caitline Brook, she's absolutely everywhere. You're a new podcaster, yes, comedian radio legend. You've truly done it all. So we're so excited to have you joining us today.
Speaker 2: I'm very happy because we have cohabited for many years. When I was doing the show with Hughsey, you guys, I think that was maybe before you came on board, But Victoria was always in with dog and the bow in its head.
Speaker 4: Lucy, she's an icon.
Speaker 2: She's stummy anyway. So, and I've always been quite intrigued by the pot.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's a very good service, even though sometimes I find it shames me unwittingly.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, well, we're here for everyone. Everyone's on their own money journey, and so I'm so excited to pick your brain. Fear not everybody. We're going to stick to the usual format. So I've got some money wins to share. Beck set along some broke tips despite being away that I can share on her behalf as well, and then we're going to be answering a juicy money dilemma. This week, it's all about the fear of losing your identity when you become a new mum.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 4: I feel like that one's going to be a very very.
Speaker 2: Very deep, so interesting mm hmm.
Speaker 4: And then we're going to also unpack something that you slip into our DMS about which this week is talking about job security versus wonderlust, which I think is something a lot of people are thinking about. And I'm so excited to hear your thoughts because you did a huge move overseas to Italy, didn't you?
Speaker 2: Yes? For two years?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: With my husband and our four children.
Speaker 4: The whole vam. That would have been a huge change, huge I'm so excited to hear all about it. But we'll go in order. We'll stick to format, so I feel like I can't message up telling me you're the pilot, all right, everybody, I'm trying.
Speaker 2: The co pilot and Annalisa is going to come along with some peanuts and tomato juice.
Speaker 4: Serve them to our lovely gat but a very good at altitude.
Speaker 2: Apparently tomato juice drinks. Yeah, something about the salt.
Speaker 4: Oh, there you go. I never would have thought I don't love tomato.
Speaker 2: No one loves it. On the ground. Yeah, alone, in the air, bloody Mary's restorative. But in the air it comes into its own.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: The more you know, there's a tip, write that down, sustness.
Speaker 4: Somebody's scribbling in an somewhere. How has your week been, Kate? What have you been up to? I feel like you're one of those people who's out and about and doing things.
Speaker 2: This week is was unusual or last week was unusual for me because I was in Vietnam with a girlfriend of mine, amazing and we went for five days without husbands. Or boyfriends or children.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a dream.
Speaker 2: So we had. It was heavenly. It was heaven It was hot as eighties, was really humid. It was great, up to all kinds of mischief. What's your definition of missing? We enjoyed ourselves enormously. Put it that way.
Speaker 4: Oh wonderful, Oh that's beautiful. Well, I'm very it's been so rainy here in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: It's been Hey, it rained every day and hopes you meant did it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It did. It was that real tropical warm but rainy. Yeah. But the hair was just heavy all the time.
Speaker 4: Not good for the hair, very terrible for the hair.
Speaker 2: But you had to abandon, you know, when you're traveling in countries like that, in Asia particularly, and you have to abandon all notions of what traditionally like, what you'd look like when you go out or what you just have to embrace some sort of weird hippie chic look which is frizzled and frazzled and crumpled and a bit damn little bit the way you feel great.
Speaker 4: It's a return to your natural self. Though I feel like because you don't wear makeup, it's going to slide off your no point, it's it's very like, I feel like it's good for yourself.
Speaker 2: I it's fantastic, and you don't look in a mirror because there's only desolations. There was a mirror in at our hotel that was a magnifying mirror, and I'm like, oh, this is great. I can pluck my eyebrows. But then and my girlfriend Alice said, I am not looking in that thing. And then I noticed as the week went past, I was just like, oh, it's really bringing me.
Speaker 4: I feel like they're like those carnival mirrors because they warp you, yeh.
Speaker 2: And it's never good. It's never good.
Speaker 4: It's never ever fun to look at. Well, I'm very jealous. None of the last thing I would really like.
Speaker 2: It was great, and you would like it, you know why on this pod it's such a cheap holiday, really affordable, so great. You know. At one point we went to the Sieve, to the seven eleven or the circle k whatever, and we just got some snacks. We bought some beers, some snacks, some chips, some long needs to take home to the kids, you know, strange you know, Vietnamese lollies. And when we got the bill, we were like, because we're always converting from dong Obviously we went was that twelve dollars.
Speaker 6: It was twelve dollars for four beers and this is like a one beer yeah, correct, where there's always inflation in a sieve because of the twenty four hour nature of them and capitalism of course.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we were like, it's incredible, incredible.
Speaker 4: Wow, It's like that in Japan too. Seven eleven we lived at the seven eleven. I know Beck has just got back from Japan and I'm sure she had the same experience where you walk in and it's just like a mecca of fun things.
Speaker 2: And they've got great food at seven elevens in Japan.
Speaker 4: If for seven eleven here was like the seven eleven over there. An interesting tidbit, I believe seven eleven Australia has just been bought by the same company that owns seven Japan really or recently, when I say just but random, hopefully ours become more like theirs. I would buy my dinner at the eleven.
Speaker 2: Insteads because the food's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had like full meals chicken katsu like but really healthy good food. Y're delicious, So like, if you had that option, you wouldn't go to like a Macca's or something, you know, late at night, when you just go.
Speaker 2: You only go to KFC as they do Christmas. You know, that's the traditional Christmas thing in Japan.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a massive thing for Christmas.
Speaker 4: I did not know.
Speaker 2: They might not even celebrate Christmas, but they certainly celebrate KFC.
Speaker 4: I can absolutely get a moment that because if there's one thing I like.
Speaker 2: Oh look we're off and flying.
Speaker 4: We are one of these same you know who else is one of the same. But she's on the money community. They're always picking up the vibes. They've always got some money wins to share. So let me give you a couple from the group this week. There were some goodies. Firstly, Brianna said, money win. I purchased some special edition books from Amazon for one hundred and fifty dollars. Very expensive books, but obviously she was excited, she said. Instead, Amazon sent me two bottles of cast oil. Had no books classic.
Speaker 2: Wow, Castor oil is great though I'm big on cast Yeah, Castor oil is great.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go, she said, marked it as a return and sent them back because obviously it wasn't what I ordered, and they refunded the money, and then two days later the books turned up money Win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fantastic and very hard to get one over Amazon capitally.
Speaker 4: As we were saying, on.
Speaker 2: A yacht to meet, he'll be so.
Speaker 4: Angry shaken in his boot. Next, I've got a money in from Gemma, who said it's my birthday month, so I've been utilizing lots and lots of freebies. Yesterday she went out with her son and got a free Gloria Jeans chiller. She said she's gotten three drinks so far this month. And as someone whose birthday is coming up soon, I just want to remind everyone go through freebies. I saw a TikTok of a girl the other day who collected everything that she was in, like she'd signed up to every list she could think of, and she got like twelve meals over the course of two day. Yeah, because it's so well organized, though, Yeah, they tend to get lost in your thirty six thousand, you know, I know forty six forty six actually, and I deleted three thousand them over summer and I'm going to delete one thousand a day and that lasted three days.
Speaker 2: Three days, and they were a renewable resource.
Speaker 4: I wonder do you ever hit a point where they go, no more emails for you? No, they don't until No, they don't, not yet anyway.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is vouchers don't even you must talk about vouchers on this show. But vouchers are just such a punishment for me. Why like boucher, Yeah, give vouchers. I reckon, I've had Look, I don't even known the money value, but I've had one hundred expired vouchers that I've never used.
Speaker 4: Interesting fact, few it's actually illegal for vouchers to expire. They can put an expiring wail on them, but they I know.
Speaker 2: But then, okay, so riddle me this. You're going to have a massage. You just had an argument with the person who runs the message. Oh, I was going to say massage, but about you, like you cannot? I know it's illegal for you the a triple C blo blah. And then you're going to go into a darkened room and that person's going to rub you. How's that going to go? Well?
Speaker 4: I mean usually you have the conversation afterwards. I would imagine.
Speaker 2: Negatingating the relaxed, deeper axation you've enjoyed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to be relaxed first and then I'll get angry afterwards. But hopefully usually I feel when you say just so, you know, you actually can't do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So does that mean if you've got a voucher from ten years ago?
Speaker 4: Theoretically I think so. I mean you would have to double check the website in case the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, because I know they changed the law.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it would potentially be from the date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, too late for me. They're all they're custom all they gone now even now when I get one, thanks straight in the bin, because I know that it's just gonna be clatter on. Never end up using Oh, you know, regift.
Speaker 4: Terrible regift is the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good idea. I have given book vouchers to my husband's mother. He's very well organized.
Speaker 4: I'm sure she wouldn't say no to the massage ranches either. Next, I've got a money linking staves you from being in the awkward position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, she can have the argument.
Speaker 4: Exactly like, not my problem anymore. Next, I've got a money in from Steph who said she's in the process of making her home office a more functional and inviting space. She got on marketplace to sort it out, and instead of paying four hundred dollars for a desk with storage draws, she paid one hundred. She got a printer for forty bucks and an Apple Mouse for thirty, which means the whole office is done for about one hundred and seventy dollars.
Speaker 2: You know what, I don't want the free printer. I want the free ink.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's never that anywhere.
Speaker 2: Racket, isn't it. The racket is they'll sell you the printer for nothing and charge you an arm and leg on a subscription service for ink.
Speaker 4: Near like a laser printer or something where it can just never run out.
Speaker 2: That a laser printer run out of me.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just assumed, quite possibly. I think it's getting the ink from Is it like I thought the laser like three D printer that it just makes itself?
Speaker 4: I mean, you can tell that I don't print a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Hang on this, can we because she's laughing at these annals? Can you just shed some light here? Because I think we've taken a dark turn.
Speaker 4: I assumed that the laser was like lasering.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think it does it with laser focus, but it's still I think I'm pretty sure it needs.
Speaker 4: That's a million dollar.
Speaker 7: That is insane. Also for as smart as you are, that that is incredible. You've got that laser printers read the electronic data from your computer and being this information to a drum inside the printer, which builds up a pattern of a static electricity which attracts a dry powder called tona onto the paper.
Speaker 2: So no ink, no, but you got to fill out the your tona.
Speaker 4: Well, there you go. It's like in the middle.
Speaker 2: I think in the middle. I don't think anyone.
Speaker 4: Was going to say I wasn't wrong, and you're.
Speaker 2: Going to get the mail. You're going to get the mail on it.
Speaker 4: It's a blue job, I think.
Speaker 2: I think so not a pink.
Speaker 4: One next day, whatt a money in from Emma who said I was recently in the US and I did some shopping while I was there. Duh. In some shops you can choose to pay with local currency or the payment origin currency. She said it was really handy to keep track of the exchange rate, so she knew it was almost always cheaper to buy in the local currency rather than having the retailer do the exchange. She said that plus using a travel card meant she didn't pay any of those sneaky fees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my girlfriend just did this when we were in Vietnam. She had a card not revolute, but it was one like that. Yeah, and it was so great.
Speaker 4: I think if you're using a bank card that is charging you international transaction fees, you are giving your money away for free. I think it is so really okay. I don't know you can download.
Speaker 2: The whys you can. I know that there are I know that there are systems, but predominantly the system. The system is aimed at people like me who are like I don't know time, I'm just gonna do you take visa and then when you get home, you're like plus plus.
Speaker 4: Their exchange you get like six hundred like inside one dollar aures me. There are a lot of apps you can do it on your phone.
Speaker 2: Put that with the voucher jobs.
Speaker 4: The list. And then we've been asking our guests when they come on, you're part of the family, you're here with us, do you happen to have your own money win or confession that you could well?
Speaker 2: Speaking of overseas shopping, I think that I had one last week when I was in Hochi Minh. Yes, this is kind of a win but also a loss. But it's a win because I had a holiday. It's a loss because it's expensive, because you're going on a holiday, Yes, but because I've got four kids, three boys and a daughter, and they just burned through runners like nobody's business, because that's all anyone wears now, and so many runners are made in Vietnam. So I got them all. I got them Birkenstocks. I got them runners for a fraction of what you would pay here. One of them was a dodgy copy, but the others were really good quality. Yea fantastic, So I think that was a win.
Speaker 4: That's a money win for sure.
Speaker 2: Even though if you looked at my Visa car plus yeah correct, correct pass, three dollars, seventeen conversion feet, et cetera, you would think I can't see the win. My dad always said, when Mum would go shopping, and Mum was always big on sales, you go, look what I got, honey. I was reduced and reduced further, and blah blah blah. Dad would always say Dutch, you know, he would say, show me the money you've saved.
Speaker 4: Oh, where is it?
Speaker 2: Show me that? Yeah, where is it?
Speaker 4: That's very clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very clever.
Speaker 4: We say when there's a sale, if you buy it on say, we're still spending money on it.
Speaker 2: So that's what he was saying, although he spoke more in Dutch riddles. Oh yeah, but yeah, so that was definitely a win.
Speaker 4: Well, but your kids would have been stoked. I feel like that's the best part of someone coming home from holiday, especially parents knowing that they're bringing a big old so they were.
Speaker 2: So happy they couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: Some of the year after that, I.
Speaker 2: Know it was really good, and it was a lot of work because the shop for six people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of room in your suitcase shoes.
Speaker 2: I took an empty I put a suitcase in a suitcase. That's so smart. We came back with two full suitcases.
Speaker 4: I had to do the airport shuffle the last time I traveled because they would not let me. They were going to charge me, Like.
Speaker 2: A, h did you have to repack it?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: I hate the humiliation.
Speaker 4: My friends had to open their suit Yeah.
Speaker 2: There of who's got on pretty much.
Speaker 4: I was like, just make sure my undis don't go in anyone else's case. And apart from that, it's fine.
Speaker 2: And I love the way in that situation we all totally abandon the rule of never let anyone put anything in your luggage, just like I can't put it in.
Speaker 4: Just get us out of this line and away from the embarrassment of unpacking it in front of her. Absolutely, well, that sounds like I'm going to call it a money win, not a money lost. Thank you. I think it was so.
Speaker 2: I felt like it was a win.
Speaker 4: It definitely and.
Speaker 2: Also saved me time here because you know, where do you go here? You've got three shops.
Speaker 4: It's overwhelming too. If you go on a weekend, it's also busy, horrendous. It can't shops on the weekend, and not for me now. Wonderful Beck, who couldn't be here today unfortunately, did still share some of her broke tips for us to share with the community. Thank you so much, Beck. So let me give you what she sent over.
Speaker 2: If it's pick a bunch of rosemary and put it in a pot, I've already done well. I wouldn't have thought of it it wasn't for her. It does enrage me when I go to the supermarket and I have to buy herbs.
Speaker 4: For like eight dollars a packet.
Speaker 2: Crazy. Okay, some herbs, some I believe are worth the money. I never quibble about basil. Yes, like I've grown basil. It's hard. The snails love basil. It's only seasonal. But when you have to pay four dollars a bunch for rosemary that grows like a.
Speaker 4: Weed and you can find it anywhere, it's.
Speaker 2: In hedges everywhere, enrages me.
Speaker 4: I completely agree, completely agree, Okay, hit me all right. First one from back, very very smart from her. But it's read the ingredients on your medications and check if there is a non name brand alternative. And now I know my pharmacist does this. When I go, they say, do you want.
Speaker 2: To do a generic?
Speaker 4: Correct? Because it's exactly the same thing. And I just had never considered that there was anybody out there who was saying no to the generic. If I wannest like to there exact same ingredients like pharmacist makes them.
Speaker 2: Why do people say no to generics?
Speaker 4: I can't imagine. I mean maybe they feel comfortable, like you know how sometimes it's like a yeah, you know the name brand of something, so you prefer it even if it is the same thing. But yeah, if you didn't know that by the generic people, surely next Beck has a brute tip that was submitted to us by Morgan, and Morgan said, always activate the bonus offers in your flybys app before doing a grocery shot. So if you didn't know, there's an app that goes with flybyers and they bring up like special challenges and offers, so you might get bonus points if you buy this specific.
Speaker 2: I don't do flybys.
Speaker 4: You don't like flybys?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I love them, I just don't do them. I don't do any loyalty.
Speaker 4: Cards, life admin stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't do any of that. And I've got it. We've got a friend me and my husband who's in love with his Woolworth. He's always just send you a screenshots, got ten dollars off. It's become like a thing. That and photos of macarons we've seen to each other because we have a universal hatred of macarons, the most overrated. You don't like macaron hideous, horrible Master chef challenge, sure, but for eating interesting, very pretty for eating No.
Speaker 4: Okay, I agree to disagree on that.
Speaker 2: You can have all the macarons.
Speaker 4: But you know what, maybe we're a good match. Like I'll eat all the Macarens and you can eat.
Speaker 2: All of what is your preferred anything.
Speaker 4: Okay, well you can have whatever the other.
Speaker 2: Option else I'll have everything else, and i'd like something savory.
Speaker 4: Actually, see, I'm a sweet person. So we're a good balance.
Speaker 2: We'd like Jack Spratt and his wife Millennial show could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean. So together then they licked the platter clean.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be and you can. Oh no, I'm also but oh okay, I'm but everything that's not macarons.
Speaker 4: Okay, perfect. Oh my goodness. Fly bais is great. I'm a Flybys fiend. If you didn't know, I got a kitchen aid for free with my point. They're like eight hundred dollars to buy one of those. I love it because I love tabab Yes, I love my kitchen aid media. It's the best thing.
Speaker 2: But did you get it?
Speaker 4: I got white? It's just so boring they did it is classic? What color is yours?
Speaker 2: I've got orange?
Speaker 4: Oh, yours is much more.
Speaker 2: I've got orange. But I think we got ours is really old. Yeah, because we got it for a wedding present, and the motor burnt out on it last year and people were like, you need a new kitchen aid. I think I was. I put up a video on social some of it because it was jumping all over the counter like it was walking. You couldn't just leave it beating and you had to watch it. And people said, oh, you need a new kitchen aid, and I went, I'm I'm pretty sure I don't need a new kitchen EID. And then we found this company. Someone sets told me on X there's a company that replaces all parts of amazing kitchen of plants is took it to them beautiful new kitchen eight.
Speaker 4: When did we stop defaulting to repairing something instead of replacing, because this is something.
Speaker 2: When toasters became ten dollars, Well.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. Like it's so interesting to think about the habits that my parents had versus what I had.
Speaker 2: And mending and yeah, like.
Speaker 4: I recently started getting into sewing and you know, repairing clothes instead of just replacing them. And I think it's really interesting because like financially, like some of us, you are buying the cheaper option sometimes because that's what's within our means and that's so fine, but let's think about trying to repair those items when we can instead of just buying a new one because you can because it's cheap.
Speaker 2: I feel like when my mum comes over and mum's a really good dana, Mum does we save all our buttons that need all our gyms that need doing. She does all of that when she comes over and she darned one of Peter's socks, right, and the kids were watching her like she was a witch. They were like, what is this? Yeah, but also they were a little bit contemptuous of it. Well, because people are so disposable with their thinking. Even though they're the generation that are really reuse, recycle, repair and everything z coo at school, it wouldn't occur to them to fix a sock.
Speaker 4: As a country, we are the number one worst country for fast fashion in the world. Yeah, for how many we purchase like really per capita or whatever in America more than America and we're a smaller country.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was like a report recently which I think is crazy and that speaks totally to exactly what you're saying about. How yeah, we just go oh buying new sock how hard can it be? But it's actually quite easy and more cost effective to learn to fix or to put a new motor in something that breaks, or to do whatever you have.
Speaker 2: So thrilled with a new motor in the kitchen aid. And then we've got a dog by the way that started his adorable But he's a chewer. Oh no, And so he's chewed. He chewed through the cord of my blow dry that was in my daughter's room and is chewed through. He's just chewed cords. Yeah. So now we have to find someone because I said to Peter, he's chewed too many things to replace them. Yeah, and the blow dry was a really good blow dryer. I'm not just gonna yeah. Also, there's nothing wrong with it other than.
Speaker 4: A dog got the cord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So, and you know, there used to be all those little places like that always have a dusty VCR in the window that they always had electrical repairs written on the world, some sort of curved writing. And it wasn't until I went to look for one of those. I went, I'm sure I've seen them. I went to look for one, I realized how rare they are.
Speaker 4: One of the things that maybe's disappeared over time because everyone was using them. That's so sad.
Speaker 2: Anyway, well, let's have a moment of silence. Where are those electrical repair I'm going to say, mean, I never encountered a woman? What happened to them?
Speaker 4: Maybe they just retired that generation they all sold up and no one our age is doing it anymore.
Speaker 2: Now they're selling ten dollars toasters. They're like, what did I waste my life on?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, Well, if anyone knows a good person in Melbourne, let us know. But I think that's a perfect spot for us to head to a really quick break, and when we come back on the other side, we're going to talk about owning your identity and balancing that with becoming a new parent, as well as whether or not you should put your job and your security above your desire to travel. Don't go anywhere, guys, Light chit chat, Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 8: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi guys, I'm about.
Speaker 2: To you on Matt Lee.
Speaker 5: I'm pregnant with my first baby. My partner and I went through a few rounds of IVF treatment, so we're super stoked to be on this journey.
Speaker 4: Prove it a context.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty high up at a tech business, and the further along my pregnancy is going, I am freaking out.
Speaker 4: It's kind of creeping up on me.
Speaker 5: How much is expected of women, How we have to be mum, career and like we have to thrive in all of those different areas of life, and how I guess do we balance it? So, I guess I just wanted to call to get a bit of inside or guidance or just like a bit of a pep talk.
Speaker 4: So yeah, thanks.
Speaker 2: That's a big dilemma.
Speaker 4: It's a million dollar question, really, isn't it?
Speaker 2: And also now is not the time. There's a few things in that. One is the creeping worry that you have and also because she said she's just come off over the IF, so she's had a lot of hormones. There's a lot of surging hormones. So if you can just kind of mentally put that to one side, which you probably can't because they're surging hormones. But it is a time often where you have the dual train track, which is happiness and expectation and fear and expectation traveling simultaneously. Your life is going to change. If you don't want your life to change, don't have a child. Well that's really what it is, right, But in my experience, and I have four children, what you learn about yourself happens in surrendering to that. So the more you rally against these fears, which at this point are unseen, the fears you have here are the biggest fears that you'll ever face. Mostly that there is an element of surrendering when you have a child, and particularly if you're a woman who's been on a career trajectory, that's quite formalized.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very clear cart in your stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah that when you have a child, everything is the opposite of that. Yeah, and you actually have to follow the baby. The baby A girlfriend of mine said before I had my first child, the baby will tell you what it needs. And it was the best advice also because it meant that you could surrender to it, and so I wasn't one of those people that was like, well, that's to it.
Speaker 4: The baby's got to get up waking up, and it is.
Speaker 2: He's got a feed on you minutes and just and in my experience, the less that you can try and be regimented, the happier you will be and the baby will be. The baby is only instinct when it's born, and everything the baby knows it's learnt from you. And because they're all antenna they pick up on They're very vibrational, I think, and so ill health aside. Anything that problems the baby has, eating, sleeping, la la is probably down to you. So the more relaxed and the more animal you can be in your instincts towards the baby, which is just loving and warm and soft and comforting and healing yourself as well, because it's a massive physical labor to have a baby, no matter what way you have it. I think part of the beauty of it is what when you see someone who's quite linear in their life and their thinking become more rounded in that sense. Yeah, often that's chaotic and you don't feel great.
Speaker 4: And that's okay, Like that's part of the experience.
Speaker 2: Part of it, it's really part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's very normal. I'm at the age where a few of my friends are having kids now and on seconds or thirds, and I think a lot of them have experienced what our listener is that nervousness. Yeah, particularly I think at your first child, because as you were saying, you're really going into the unknown. You have no idea what to expect. Everyone's probably giving you their two cents about how to have birth and how to raise the kid and what to do when you're taking in all of this information, plus the hormones that you were you know you mentioned and all of those things. Congratulations, by the way, that's.
Speaker 2: Really bron It's fantastic.
Speaker 4: That's really wonderful. I think, firstly, just acknowledging that that's so normal for you to feel that way, and it's something that only I think the people who are going through that experience can understand, Like parents who aren't giving birth can still I think empathize with you or sympathize with you. But I think that from what I've seen with my friends. Obviously I haven't gone through it myself, but I think that it is such a unique experience, and that existential feeling that you're having is coming from the unknown and also maybe from that fear of letting go because as women, we know statistically more often than not after childbirth we end up on the back foot in terms of our career growth, in terms of our finances, in terms of our super and so I can imagine that there's maybe a little bit of fear around that, especially if you've done a lot of work on your financial situation in the lead up to the baby.
Speaker 2: And it's an act of trust that for a certain period of time you're not going to be able to work. Yes, you have to turn to your partner possibly to bridge that gap. Yeah, it's a really vulnerable time for a woman and the baby and in fact the whole relationship. So a friend of mine once said, having a baby is like throwing a bomb in your relationship, well, because it just blows all the bits up in the air and then you see where they land. Parts of it are thrilling and beautiful and exciting, and parts of it are really frightening and confronting and exhausting and whatever. But there's nothing in life that I've ever done that was good that wasn't hard, Like nothing, literally nothing, Like when I get up to go to boot camp or yoga or whatever, it's hard every time I do it. It's hard when I go shopping for six people, it's hard. It's hard. It's hard, but you find the value in the hardness of it, which sometimes I think we're a little bit inclined to avoid in our comfortable lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you've got to go through the hard to appreciate the good into.
Speaker 2: A pre well and to make something good absolutely, like, really, you're doing the work if if someone who's having children is doing the work of the nation, it's beautiful work, but it's work.
Speaker 4: Being a parent is absolutely work. It can be a full time job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a full time job, whether or not you've already got another full time job, exactly a time job. And also, I say this now, my eldest is twenty and my youngest is fourteen, and it seems to be a job that doesn't stop.
Speaker 4: Yeah you think at eighteen maybe, oh.
Speaker 2: Sort of thought. And it does happen to a certain extent, But I remember when the kids were really little, and of course because we had four under six, so everywhere we went it was kind of like a mini circus that no one wanted to buy tickets to. Yeah, it was just solicited a lot of attention wherever we went. And there was a thing that my girlfriend and I were talking about recently where older women, God bless the older women would come up to you and they'd always talk about the kids, and you know, with that nostalgia of someone who's been through it and saying a lot, and they would always say this, and at the time it really annoyed me. They would say, little children, little problems, big children, big problems, and it really enraged me and my girlfriends at the time. Everyone had experienced it. Yeah, and now that the kids are older, we're like, oh, yeah, we get it. Ah, we get it.
Speaker 4: We understand, we.
Speaker 2: Understand, we understand.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think I would say to our listener, just on the career, note, your career does not need to end when you have children, and it's totally up to you how you would approach that. You made choose to become a stay at home parent, and that's awesome and that's totally fine. But I think there is this idea that women hit almost an expiration date, and I think that is tied very closely to the you know, the older ideal that women would their only purpose was to have the children's day home and keep the house and blah blah, which obviously we've moved well and truly past that. But I think that there are so many people that have achieved incredible things in their forties, in their fifties, in their sixties, and if they had stopped pursuing what they wanted in their earlier life, as you were saying, if they hadn't gone through the hard they never would have got there. And so I think I would just say I understand the fearfulness around your career and how having children will impact that, but there are hundreds of thousands of parents all around the world who are making it work and who are more than that. Probably. Yeah, I was going to say, I'm going across Australia, and then I went the world, and then I just there's a lot of people out there. The aliens are probably doing it too. It can work, and I understand that it's scary, but I think like really communicating with your partner and being open about what you need and what you want it's true, and making sure that you're on the same page because you are so entitled to pursue whatever feels right for you and you know your family, and I just want to say that you can totally do it, even if it maybe feels like that might be hard.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it feels impossible, and other times. I remember the first time going back to work with a baby, it feels like there should be a Hallelujah chorus thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you walk in the door, it is such.
Speaker 2: It feels like an act of victory, but it's hard. One victory you know by the time you get out the door, and often it'll be the first time in a month or months since you've been able to do that, like without another little person on you. It's an amazing thing. Also, when you go back to work, I think you tend to have a newfound respect for the women that came before you. And I say women because I just don't think the relationship is the same for men in a physical sense and for the women that came before you that have done that. You kind of look around the office and people look a bit different. Who have you're like, oh, you've done this. Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's just incredible. So I think I hope that that pep talk is what.
Speaker 2: You needed, because we're incredible what we do, absolutely and there's no world without us, not at all. We just can't completely give up the sense of our world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hold on to your own identities.
Speaker 2: It'll still be but your identity will evolve.
Speaker 4: And that's okay. Fantastic, fantastic, incredible. Now I do have if you've got time, We've still got our Instagram dilemma to get you. So let me read to me, let me read you. When our listener said, they said, hello, she's on the money. I want to talk to you about a topic that I'm really struggling with right now, work security versus wanderlust. I've been in a great job now for three and a half years. It pays well, and I have a clear career trajectory, but I'm aching to move overseas for a bit, and I feel I would regret if I never took a chance and did it. I want to experience adventure and be pushed outside my comfort zone by moving overseas, but at the same time, my comfort zone is what gives me work security and a good income so I can one day achieve my goals. Making this move will likely see me burn through my savings and leave a good but pouring job behind. How do I decide what the right move is? Are there some things that I should keep into consideration when making this decision? Any help or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Oh, and I feel like this is truly your time to shine because you've been there and done that. How did you make the choice to move overseas and pick up your whole family and leave what you knew behind?
Speaker 2: I think if you're writing that, you already know what the answer is. Yeah, she's answered all her own questions, which is and some people have got I didn't really have a yearning like and I've written a book about this chow bella six take Italy sometimes Italy took. But I talk about that in the book because it was I think it's easy for people to say, if you dream it, you can do it. I didn't really dream it in the sense that it was a dream that I'd had for fifteen years or whatever. It really came from a casual conversation with my husband on our first ever trip to Italy, which was only two years before we moved there, or three years before we moved there, that both of us had a desire for a different experience of life. And we've got a beautiful life here, but there was something about it that we wanted both of us to experience something different. And once that seed was planted, that just grew, and it grew like Jack and the bean Stalk, And even when I thought it wasn't and we were just immersed in our daily life, which was intense, and an Australian family life, it's intense. Even if you don't have a family, it's intense. But I just had to do it. Yeah, we had to do it, and it was the greatest thing we've ever done.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: And also, going back to our conversation previously, also one of the hardest things I've ever done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because nothing worth having is easy. Exactly how did you go about figuring out the logistics of like career and stuff, because you had a huge, incredible.
Speaker 2: Well that was interesting because I had said too when we decided it was going to happen, and initially my husband Peter said to me, oh, it would be great to do this, he said, but you'll never be able to give up work and I said I would and he was like, I don't think you could. And he wasn't saying it as a challenge, he was just like, because you love your job. So I was doing drive radio at the time with Hughsey, So my first conversation was with Hughsey to tell him, yeah, he didn't take it. Well, oh no, because Hugh does understand. He didn't understand any of that yearning. Because Husey is a workaholic. He's in aholic of many times, like he loves giving stuff up, but he could never give up work, and so he couldn't even understand when I he was like, what are you going to do all day? And I'm like, yeah, what are you going to do all day in Italy? Mate? But none of those things have the same value for him as work anyway. Then he took me into working from there for the first six months. And bear in mind this was before COVID da da da. The concept of working remotely was not a thing.
Speaker 4: Isn't it crazy to say? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 2: So our producer Sasha, who now is also the producer of The Buck Up the podcast, I'm doing with Valvo. She came over to Bologna and set up a studio for me, and so I did the show for six months from Italy and then I said to Hughsy and then the other six months will be mine. But he was even trying to just come back after the holidays, and then we extended for another year because we loved it so much. It's the most to take yourself out of the context of where people know you, people have expectations of you. There's a community of people wherever you live that know you and know what they think of your school friends or friends or family or whatever. To take yourself out of the context of that and arrive somewhere where you are I'm going to say, unincumbered by it. Some of that's a blessing, family and friends, whatever, of course, but unincumbered by it and where you are your essential self is the most incredible experience. Yeah, incredible in good ways and bad. You know, like sometimes I was just pitiful, pitiful?
Speaker 4: You miss did you miss home?
Speaker 2: I miss the familiarity and all those things that I could take for granted about our Australian life.
Speaker 4: Yes, but people say outside your comfort zone is growth?
Speaker 2: So well, that's it. And we talk about that though, but people now have brought back the notion of comfort to they can't have a conversation. They're not comfortable with it. I'm talking about true, proper discomfort, which is literally outside everything you know, where you don't even know what direction to walk in a street to get to a shop, and when you get in there, you will not speak the language of the person who runs the shop, and then you won't know the way home and you'll get lost. I'm talking about that sort of discomfort. Yeah, phenomenal. I've probably not sold a word, but it's extraordinary, and it's extraordinary what happens. You know, people always tell tales about when they're traveling people they've met and they've ended up with strangers at a thing, and never would happen.
Speaker 4: When you're at home, you're comfortable.
Speaker 2: And where you have patterns that you follow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely agree with you. I think that. But it does sound like our listener knows that they want to go, but perhaps just needs a push or needs.
Speaker 2: But also I think you've got to back yourself. Yeah, so if I had not done that, And I sometimes like to say that to Hughesy because I've worked with him for eighteen years, and I like to hold my book up and say to him, this is what two years of not working with you looks like, right, a best selling book that I have written for my family and for myself. Right, So you have to back yourself. And many of the things that I have done since we returned I would not have happened if I was still And I love working with Hugh, and I love our radio show and I love him. I love all of it. I never didn't like it. That wasn't my thinking. But I've hosted two series of a reality TV show for Channel Line, I've written a book, I'm writing another book, I'm doing this podcast with Valvo, I did another radio show here with Monty. So just the world opens up in a different way. But you have to back yourself because if you don't back yourself, how's anybody else going to?
Speaker 4: Oh completely? And I think if it's career that you're worried about, again, this is the conversation that we really just had. But your career will always be there. I think in a sense, like you can sure you can put it on pause, and you can.
Speaker 2: Now people have like six careers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and as with you, there may be an opportunity to work remotely. I think if nothing else, it's worth raising it with your depending on what you do. Of course, probably can't be a a remote surgeon, but depending on what it is that you do. I would definitely raise the conversation with your employer because we've spoken before about how costly it is to a company to replace a good employee, and so if you are a really integral employee and you know you've worked hard and they feel the same way about you, there may be some flexibility for you.
Speaker 2: Niece is doing that at the moment. She's gone to the UK and she asked several times, yeah, so don't just be deterred at the first. If it's not in this role, maybe it's in another role. Yeah, but you're right, no one wants to lose a good person.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And post COVID, it really is a whole different world out there. We really have been opened up to how easily people can do things. I mean, you did a radio show from the other side of the world. Who would have thought so, I think definitely raise the question. But if this is something that, as our listener said, is a burning desire, I think what have you got to lose? Do the math. Just make sure you can afford it financially. Don't put yourself in a hole, don't put it all on credit. Think ahead and prepare. And we've done episodes that can help you with that in the past.
Speaker 2: But what the way she wants to go?
Speaker 4: I know, I'm so curious. Please come back to U and let us know. I'd love to know. If it's Italy, Kate can give you some tips, but we do. When we pop these up, we ask everybody a few questions on Instagram, just get their input. The people know the vibes. So we ferously said, is anyone else in the community experiencing this concept of work security versus wonderlust? Seventy five percent of people said yes, I've got the travel bug, but I fear for my career, which is crazy how many people that is. And twenty five percent of people said no, I don't feel the desire to travel or move. Next, we said, have you made the move overseas before and left behind a stable job to do it? Twenty nine percent of people said yes, and it was truly the best decision I have ever made. Two percent of people said yes, and I regretted it. Later on, thirty nine percent of people said no, but I really want to, and thirty percent of people said no, and I don't plan on trying it. So if you look at those numbers, two percent regretted it, and that is such a take those on sliver. The chances are really, I think, in your favor when it comes to doing this.
Speaker 2: But it's not for everybody, you see, which is much like the world, yeah, isn't it. I mean, most people like for very good reasons, more charted course.
Speaker 4: And there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: No, the world couldn't function if everyone wanted to go off.
Speaker 4: Pieced exactly and do whatever they wanted.
Speaker 2: That's piste by the way, you know.
Speaker 4: It is just one of those things they think, do the work, make sure it's viable. But life is for a living. And that's something that I've really been working on this year, is just recognizing the fact that you've.
Speaker 2: Got to work to live. That's what they always say about the Italians. Not live to work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that you don't want to be, you know, one day on your deathbed and not able to travel and go, oh, if only I'd done that thing. So I think make sure, you can do it. Absolutely, do your due diligence, Like we always say, but ya, why's they go for it? Why not? You can always come home if you don't love it.
Speaker 2: So true, And Peter and I would say this all the time when we were in the planning stages of going whatever, and when there was there's a lot of attendant pressure, by the way, that you need to be prepared for if you decide to take that sort of leap. A lot of people don't like you doing it for reasons that I think are They think you're holding a mirror up to them and saying something about their life that's so strange. It's sort of but people are like that all the time. You know. Anyone who gives up drinking knows they have a lot of friends who don't like it. Yeah, they lose weight, they have friends who don't like it. You know. There's something about the herd mentality sometimes of what we draw comfort in that everyone's doing what we're doing. Yeah, but if you can push through that, the rewards of that are enormous.
Speaker 4: I'm excited. Move over there, come back and tell us how you went. Yes, it'll be a great money.
Speaker 2: I've already got her coming back. She might not come back. She can write to us even if she's not come back.
Speaker 4: You can dial in from wherever you are, exactly right, and I think that is the perfect spot for us to leave it today. Kate. Thank you so much for joining us. If you want to hear more of your wonderful self, where do they find you.
Speaker 2: Buck Up podcast? We're on socials at the buck Up Podcast, and we're on iHeart or anywhere you get your pods. And it's a money back guarantee.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money. Nice money back guarantee that at the end of the pod you will feel better than you did at the start. It's an antidote to the times.
Speaker 4: It's a great show. I really really recommend you guys give a listen. It's awesome. It's just a dose of joy, which I think we can all use at the.
Speaker 2: Moment, so absolutely light joy.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for joining us. Guys, have an amazing weekend, and Victoria'll see you bright and early on Monday for a money diary.
Speaker 2: Brilliant.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 8: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sheerper p T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine