Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian, no common show podcast?
Speaker 2: What got taped over? If you're a charter of the eighties and the early nineties, then your videos were the Holy Girl. They recorded your TV shows. It wasn't like on demand like it is now, or there was no YouTube or Google win could rewind and watch clips reever you one. You recorded your things and then you had on big capitols.
Speaker 1: This is Christian's video and pulling off the little tabs.
Speaker 2: Remember the little tabs, so no one could tape over it, but brothers, cousins, everyone would tape over it. You used to be a seller, tape over that little gap. That little thing used to break off the tab. So day we want to know what got taped over?
Speaker 1: Christian.
Speaker 2: I accidentally taped over my stepdad's wedding video to his first wife with Greece too Sure it was next Debbie accident recorded over the ultrasound of her some with Hey Hey, It's Saturday. Heather Davies an interview with Skid Road that was on empty when they came to Australia in nineteen ninety three. I watched her every day. It had the video clip for I Remember You with Sebastian about looking mighty fine on it. I wrote, do not tape over, and my dad didn't even give it a second thought, stick and tape over that tab section recorded a Grand Final over. I still hold a grudge to this day about that. All right, So the day we want to know what got taped over?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 3: I had rare footage Christian that my dad taped over Green Day were on a live music show that they used to have in Australia called Recovery every Saturday morning, truly live, so much so that they took the house band band's instruments and being the punk rock legends that they were, they sung a song with f words through it, but there was nothing that the ABC could do to stop them. So that became rare footage because the day days before YouTube, there was no unless you had the tape, there was no way you could want these the swear words come out. Then my dad taped over it with state of origin.
Speaker 1: It's to what replaces your holy Grail? Isn't it? The state of origin? In a Grand Final for the skid Row interview? All right? What got taped over?
Speaker 2: Ninety four one four one four three, Give us a call this morning for a call of the week. The best caller we get on the show today you get one thousand dollars in cash thanks to Mercedes Ben Sperrito.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell Show podcast. We're asking you what got taped? Over?
Speaker 2: Taking you back to the days of video cassettes. Does anyone still own I've still got some videos cassettes that I know I can't better get rid of. I still found some the other day of some old episodes that I've recorded.
Speaker 1: If you want to come around, guys, I've seinfeld. Even seeing my handwriting and stuff like that is stranger.
Speaker 2: So big and clunky video cassettes now they look really ancient. Have you still got any I've got a wedding video as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our wedding video which I've got to get put.
Speaker 3: You know what's the latest technology now for wedding videos where.
Speaker 1: They give you a little thundrl. Yeah, so you can install it on your backup on because neither of you have v VC.
Speaker 3: I still plug in do No.
Speaker 1: I will almost get one again now though, and still put them in because.
Speaker 2: There's a clunky Yeah, I've still got mine.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So nine four one four one four three. What got taped over morning, Lucy.
Speaker 4: Ah, Hi, Christian, how are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Lucy. I hope you had a good week, Lucy. What got taped over?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 4: When I was about sixteen, I stayed up and watched all of Live eight, the Three Day Concerts, the Bob Gelder concert, and I taped every act every three hours. I would change my videos over. I would have an alarm suit in case I fell asleep. And my whole collection of video is My brother's taped over with football games.
Speaker 2: My sister taped over Live ed with Black Beauty, the movie She's into Horses. We're still not good because of that. I lost all the Springsteen, I lost the YouTube, I lost the Queen bit all that recorded. O were flipping Black Beauty. YEP, it's our pain, Lucy. We'll always have it all right, Lucia, you have a lovely weekend. Thanks you calling him, Thanks you see Adam.
Speaker 6: Good day, Christian aga on this morning. Mate.
Speaker 2: I'm good Adam, and I hope you're traveling well. So what got taped to do?
Speaker 5: Mate?
Speaker 7: Look?
Speaker 6: In nineteen eighty seven we had our first family trip. We went over to Western Australia. Dad sold the Taranta I bought a Torago. We traveled over on the nuther Board and he bought a brand new camera and that nineteen eighty seven. It was one that went over your shoulder, that had a battery pack that wait about tim kilo pretty much. The pretty much had a VHS that you had to put a normal sized video into it as well. So he was carting that around for two weeks and you can imagine the weather over in way. He was sweat lock at gypsy with them all into a two weeks. Mate didn't see anything out of his own eye, didn't see a thing out of his own eye for two weeks his video filming. So that was It was at the time of the America's Cup. So we filmed the America's Cup. We went to a stadium, massive hor show and my brother got pulled out of the crowd, and so Dad filmed that. That was quite special as well. So after the two weeks we got home and the tape sat up in the cupboards for about ten years, and one day all the earl crappy ones that we had underneath the VHS, so I was sick of them that weren't working properly, so I jumped up in the cupboard. I grabbed one from the stash and I film one of my favorite episodes of X Files and recorded that, mate. So so Mum and Dad were quite devastated that a first family holiday Moulder and Scully, nothing beat said, not even a two weeks trip to wa mate.
Speaker 2: What a story even has taken us back to how big and clunky it was like seeing all that gear would have been like Spielberg filming a movie.
Speaker 6: He had one shoulder strap over the left side that was hanging off the batchy pack on his right hip, then another another one over the other side to his left hip, and then the camera on his shoulder. That's bigger than any cameras that you see in any news stations today, Mate.
Speaker 1: Huge, weren't they?
Speaker 3: I remember my folks would hire them at Christmas. Couldn't afford to buy one, so for two weeks over Christmas they would hire that big over the shoulder one. They took a full VHS in the actual camera itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, recorded straight onto it amazing.
Speaker 8: Exactly right.
Speaker 6: And by the time we got that back, Dad was like, I haven't actually seen anything myself for two weekses looking through this thing for two weeks and then ten years later we went to dig it out for just a family night and yeah, mom and Dad sat down and watch up an episode.
Speaker 8: Of Ex sol.
Speaker 1: Adam. Thank you very much you call me.
Speaker 6: That's okay. I have a great weekend, you two. Patsy in Jack Well Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Taking you back to the taste of video casseas VHS players.
Speaker 1: What got taped over?
Speaker 7: Good morning, Chris, Good day christ and are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm good buddy, So what got taped over? Mate?
Speaker 7: I used to do a lot of scuba divan when I was younger with a couple of mates, and we've been obsessed with it really and we went up north to force a Ton Curry and I went diving with the Great Note Sharks. I never shark dive shots with sharks before, and anyway, went up there and one of the guys in there had a video camera, so I taped it all and I've got a copy of it off him. Super proud came home. It was the only footage I've ever had of with me. Scuba divan was and the sharks, which you're not supposed to do. I was doing all, you know, it was pretty cool. Anyway.
Speaker 2: You're not supposed to for several reasons, mainly because they're sharks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when they're harmless, the great nurses, they just look ugly. But yeah, no they're pretty harmless.
Speaker 2: How should you feel it filmed that back in the day with a video cassette.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was That was the ironic thing, because I was pretty pretty rare that people had video cameras back then, and especially to go underwater. So I was super proud of it. And one day I got a mate around the show on the video and home and I came on.
Speaker 1: Me, let me just let me just forward when.
Speaker 7: The old man that taped over a bit of a who's.
Speaker 1: Back on tomorrow?
Speaker 7: I think we're having a bit of a biffo at the time, so I probably did it on purpose.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a story of revenge. They are away moved.
Speaker 3: You're not meant to touch those sharks. No one will see that.
Speaker 1: You must have been you must have been so angry.
Speaker 7: I was kind of devastated for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredible story, Chris, Thank you very much your story mate.
Speaker 1: Have a nice weekend.
Speaker 7: I'll just give a quick shout out to the Diamond Valley.
Speaker 1: Might a ten and a half of course you can. Yeah, shout out Dimond Honey. All right, Chris good on nice weekend.
Speaker 7: Thanks guys, I'll see his collect Good.
Speaker 1: Morning by christin a gang.
Speaker 5: So I'll set the scene for you. I'm twelve thirteen years old. I met a girlfriend's birthday at the Sydney My Music Bowl when you could go there and skate on ice during winter. The Graham Kennedy Knight Show happened to be there filming and they were looking to someone, a great actress to skate around the rink and fall.
Speaker 8: On their bottom multiple times.
Speaker 1: That was me. That was my moment, great actress was discovered.
Speaker 5: So I told my parents and we take it. And it was going to be my audition tape to take and become an actress.
Speaker 1: Filling his next movie with kids who are good skaters.
Speaker 5: Yep, this was going to be my This was my moment. Years later, I'm looking for that tape. I put it in my Crowning Glory and there's a Swan's game on it. I go to my dad, Dad, this is the only footage in the world. I cannot get this again, and he's like, here's Swans and they won.
Speaker 1: Wow. No take on no Hollywood, no Hollywood career. You killed it, Yeah, Tony Lockett.
Speaker 8: Collect, no Hollywood career.
Speaker 1: Collect.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for your story mate, Have a nice weekend, you too, Bye, And they squeeze Damien in here before pass his headlines Good morning, Damien.
Speaker 1: Morning Christian, we'll go taped over.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 8: First of all, I'm a massive Guns and Roses fan, and when I was fifteen, MTV had a special on about one am in the morning, Guns and Roses Live at the Ritz.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: I stayed up all night to record it, fell asleep halfway through. So a couple of days later I went to watch it and there was an ESPN football game my older brother had decided to record over top of it.
Speaker 1: Oh it's heartbreaking, up, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Because everyone we've spoken to, although they're laughing about it, showed the story, there's still that part of them that's still so angry.
Speaker 8: Oh well, there's a little bit of a payback twist to it as well. He went to school camp a week later, so all his cassette tapes over. At the start of the side A and side B, I record a little voice message for him saying, don't touch my stuff.
Speaker 1: Genius genius payback.
Speaker 8: The payback was great and he was quite upset about it. But the final twist is fifteen years later Christmas, he bought me a DVD Gandon Roses Life at.
Speaker 1: The ritz Ah.
Speaker 2: That's great, Jamien, I love your story. Thank you very much, Mane. Have a nice weekend you do. This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast