Speaker 1: Now we've just established we're going to talk about Bumble the dating app, but then we remembered Britney used to be the face of Bumble.
Speaker 2: The day Bumble in Britney many many, many years ago. I did a campaign for them because I was on Bumble and I was single for ten years. I was on Bumble and they were like, hey, can we use your profile as an advert? And I was like okay, So they put my actual real life Bumble profile was on bus stops around Australia everywhere. I still didn't hook.
Speaker 1: Up, but still didn't find the manier dreams on Bumble. Well no, look, I mean I think the reason why Bumble has been so it's been like the nice dating app for so long, and I think it's because part of their marketing and their campaigning has been all around it being a women's first dating app, so if you've never used it, Basically the idea is that on there you can be as a female. You have to make the first move, so men have to you can match, but they have to wait in order to get a message from females. So that's kind of changed recently and Bumble's been making a lot of small changes to the way in which the app functions, and one of the most recent rollouts is that now there's an button. So if you want to allow men to be able to make the first move, that has been changed as well, so you can kind of tick that opt out button. What if you're old school, like I want the man to message me, or if you just spend your time Paul you can't think of a first line, or you're like, make him get away, But it gives women the choice to do that. Now. Bumble has been teasing a rebrand and a new marketing strategy for the last couple of weeks and this rolled out only the other day. But there has been so much backlash to this because I think they well and truly missed the mark. So there's been billboards all around the country, and the billboard reads this, you know full well a vow of celibacy is not the answer introducing the new Bumble. I don't even really get it. The reason for this is is that some women are so over dating. They're so over like the rigmarole of like going on dates, hooking up, doing the one night stand thing, that celibacy is having a real moment. I mean, we spoke about it on the show the other week, Craig Craig David, you know who sang a song cloning on a Wednesday, Like, he's now celebrate Julia Fox, who's Kanye West X. She's been celibate for two and a half years. Celibacy is having a moment. It's having a real moment. So this seems like a very strange ad for Bumble to come off the back and say, you know what, guys, wh whoa whoa whoa whoa. You don't need to take drastic measures like celibacy instead, just use the Bumble app. Now, the reason why people are angry about this is because they're saying that this goes against everyone's like very genuine right to be able to choose celibacy if they're not happy in the dating world. That was also not the only billboard.
Speaker 2: There was another one that said thou shalt not give up on dating and become a nun, which was problematic.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit on the nose, isn't it. I think my.
Speaker 2: Problem here is right the second that I saw the billboard, I cringed and I was like a rip Bumble, Like, I know that people are going to come for you over this ad what I don't like, and I've said this about so many different topics that have happened in the public eye, and like so many brands or people that have gotten something wrong, I don't like the cancelation or the pylon on the attack immediately when someone makes a mistake. And I thought they did an amazing apology. Here's a part of what they said. For years, Bumble has passionately stood up for women and marginalized communities and their rights to fully exercise personal choice. We didn't live up to these values with this campaign, and we apologize for the harm it caused.
Speaker 1: And I just want to.
Speaker 2: Reiterate, we so easily forget the ten years of great work that people put in and we jump on the first time they make a mistake and we're like, you're done. But people are human, people make mistakes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, but I do think the reason why people have had such an adverse reaction to this is because it goes against everything that Bumble has stood for up until now. People are mad on social media, but there was this one really and I thought it was interesting. She's a brand consultant and she's come off the back and said, I had so many thoughts on the new marketing from Bumble, but the biggest one is don't tell women what to do regarding their bodies, full stop. This is such a pr misgiven, especially considering the current political climate of everything that's going on. That's the bigger picture, I think, not the celibration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God only knows how they didn't nail this one, like they've nailed it forever. Who Ever did this campaign is going to lose their job. But what I do want to end with is I just want to say, we get it. They made a huge mistake. They know that. Now they've apologized, and I think we can jump off the hate train for Bumble. Bumble spoken by Bumbles x form. Guys, I have had no attachment to Bumble for about eight years, so this has no connection. I just I just hate these pylons, especially when someone's owned their mistake. Bumble aren't trying to pretend they didn't do it. They one hundred be like, guys, we messed up, So like, give them a break. They're human too.
Speaker 1: All right, we're done, let's get out of here. See you guys.
Speaker 2: By