Speaker 1: Laura and come on pick up Thursday, High Ladies, Happy Thursday.
Speaker 2: I like that as that was playing, You're like, Surf's up, dude. It does sound a little bit like does it? Yeah, like we're out in a good old ninety surfing music, like.
Speaker 3: A bit about Hawaii summer time.
Speaker 4: Maybe a little bit.
Speaker 5: Maybe none of us can serve, none of us are.
Speaker 2: But Britt actually was like a professional body boarder.
Speaker 3: I was Australian champion. Don't come at me like I'm making it up.
Speaker 4: You know, if I said I needed to get an MRID today, Brick could have gone. I could have done it. I've got one.
Speaker 2: I do have anical radiation degree. I do that, shure. It's annoying being working alongside someone who's so successful because it just really highlights the things you can't do.
Speaker 5: Totally, Britt, I've got a hole in the back of my tooth. Can you to whip it up with a feeling?
Speaker 3: I didn't do a quick dental dig.
Speaker 5: Thursday.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being here on the pickup at a very big one.
Speaker 5: I was at a wedding over the weekend and I'm actually offended by my seating placement.
Speaker 6: Seated, I don't know somebody that goes to more weddings than you do, Midge Cherry every week, unless you're using it as a lie to get out of hanging out with us every week.
Speaker 3: You're like, I can't got a wedding.
Speaker 4: Well, there won't be anymore because I have really been offended.
Speaker 2: Sat next to the toilet.
Speaker 4: That's always about worse than the toilet.
Speaker 2: That's right, Well, do you know what is worse than a toilet? Vaping? I got a few feels after going to your party last weekend and every single person was on the vapes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just can't believe how ridiculously addictive it is. And we have a doctor Zach joining us on the show today to give us the ins and outs what's happening with this whole vaping business?
Speaker 4: All right, kids, listen up.
Speaker 5: That's next the pickup around Australia your Thursday. It's the pick Up Thursday afternoon, Britt, Laura and Mitch around Australia thanks to Chemist's Warehouse get ahead of the spread this flu season with annual flu vaccinations available at chemist Warehouse only nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Now last weekend, Mitch Jerry, we went to your party, but you know what one thing that a lot of people at that party were doing vaping?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, my family love the vapes, Yes they do.
Speaker 6: Everyone loves the vape these days, I do not on record, yes everyone.
Speaker 2: I think increasingly we're seeing more and more that the people are taking up the addiction of vaping. And I guess it started as like a substitute for smoking, So we're seeing less smoking more vaping. We've got doctor Zach Turner on the phone because I just wonder how addictive is this and how much of a problem we're going to face with this whole vaping business.
Speaker 4: Doctor Zach. Welcome to the pickup.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much, and I hope I become just as addictive. Gosh, that would be all of you are.
Speaker 2: You can come back anytime, doctor Zach.
Speaker 6: How bad are e cigarettes and vapes? Because at the moment people make them look.
Speaker 7: Cool totally, and I guess this is one of the biggest things about them. They are not so they are not healthy. There is nothing healthy about these. The only thing you could possibly take away from this is that it's the kind of like the difference between sitting in a room full of like old truck exhaust. If you think about this like cigarettes, or you're sitting in a car with new petrol. It's not diesel, it's possibly a little bit cleaner, you're still sitting in a whole lot of bad toxins that are not good for you.
Speaker 2: What are some of the side effects then, I mean, obviously we know the side effects from smoking. They've been well researched. It's been around for a long time. But in terms of vaping, because it's relatively new, do we know what the side effects are for people who've ACKed?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: And that's well some of them, yes, so I guess. I mean part of this is my background before medicine. I was a biochemist, so I can put different medications together and would make different compounds, and I can also chuck it into a lab and have a look at what's in different liquids. And I've done this for some of the vapes. And the crazy thing about it is not only a lot of the vapes not even labeled probably that even say that they have nicotine in that, but it's quite obvious that they do, but the amount of unknown chemicals that come up in a thing called a mass spectrometus. You basically take a bit of the fluid, chuck it through a light that shines through it, and it kind of tells you what's going on. Well, lots of the stuff we don't even know, two hundred and forty different ingredients we do know of which a lot of them are harmful to you.
Speaker 5: But how do we stop young kids taking them? Because kids as young as thirteen and fourteen are aping these things.
Speaker 7: Well, this is the crazy thing. So I want to go further than that and say this is not just poisonous, this is an addictive poison because some of the things in there are toxic, are poisonous, but worse than this, we're then combining it with something that we know is extremely addictive. So the problem with nicotine is that if you think about caffeine, if you have a cup of coffee, about ten minutes after the coffee kind of kicks a new and you might wake up a little bit, and then it lasts for about I don't know, thirty minutes to an hour or sometimes a little bit longer. What you're doing with nicotine is it doesn't take ten minutes to kick you. It gives you that whole satisfaction, that reward pathway after like five seconds, ten.
Speaker 3: Seconds because you're too quick, you feel too good too quickly.
Speaker 7: And then the other part is is it's socially acceptable. It's not socially acceptable to have one hundred coffees in the day because you'd be racing to the basket. Figure about nicotine and especially about vapes, is that it's totally fine to then have another breath thirty seconds after and have another hit, because the problem with the substances is your body doesn't actually know the difference between say, milk and mes for example. Your receptors aren't pre programmed to know the difference between different things that bind to them. The problem with nicotine is that it binds to a receptor makes it feel really good, and then just as quickly makes it feel like it's lost something.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So it's like heartbreak heartbreak exactly.
Speaker 7: Whereas caffeine, Yeah, you can get a bit of energy, you might go for a jog. It lasts you for an hour and then yeah, maybe you do feel a little bit of a afternoon lunchtime, but it's definitely not heartbreaking, you know.
Speaker 2: The other The other thing as well, I think makes it like more socially acceptable is because cigarettes, no one wants to be around someone who smokes a cigarette because they stink and these smell quite nice. It's quite nice to be around someone who's smoking a very vapepo pu. Yeah, it's like it's not a fair way to be around. And I think that that's also what has made it more socially acceptable in so many places.
Speaker 4: Totally, Thanks doctor Zach, Thanks thanks so much.
Speaker 5: All right, stand by, there is a new way to discover whether or not you are the favorite child. And all of us are siblings. We've got we've got other siblings. We've got We're not of each other. We're absolutely not related to eat, We're not connected, but we have other siblings. And I think there's one person in this room that is most definitely the favorite child.
Speaker 4: Sit on that. We'll discuss it next at the.
Speaker 5: Pickup Thursday are vo on kiss it's the pick up Britt, Laura and mitchead into chemist Warehouse today.
Speaker 4: Great savings every day.
Speaker 3: Do you guys, reckon you the favorite child?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, as in my parents' favorite child.
Speaker 6: Well, look, the reason I'm asking is I want to fall I reckon. I'm up there tired. But there's this new TikTok trend going around called the password child trend Are you the favorite child? The reason you know you're the favorite child is if your name is the name of your parents' passwords, so you know your parents like, well, I feel like our parents all used one password for everything, Like if you've got hack, you're doomed because your password is for your banking, it's for all your emails, is for everything. So this trend on TikTok, they've discovered that if your name is your parents password, that you are the favorite child in that family.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I already know that it's my brother because my mum just paid for all my brother's uniface and didn't do.
Speaker 3: But maybe she's maybe she's better off financially now.
Speaker 2: True, and he's also a lot younger, but I think he's the favorite, or my sister, but it's definitely not me middle child cemented right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm the face. I'm the middle child also, and I think I'm my mum favorite, but not my dad's. I think it's different per parent, And I know.
Speaker 2: The parents out there like to say that they don't have a favorite, but everyone does. It's the child that creates the least amount of problems for you.
Speaker 3: You have a favorite for sure. Right now, I feel like it's Lola Lola.
Speaker 4: I don't have to know more about Lola, doesn't she Lola and a melon head. Look at Lola at Marley fell over, It's like, Wow, there's a real bias. You're always laughing at Marley, Like, Marley, can you get out of the.
Speaker 3: Way of Lola's head.
Speaker 1: It's not true.
Speaker 2: I don't have a favorite, but I do think that as a parent, you tend to favorite the child that's just the easiest in that moment, the one that's causing you the most problems. And look, you know, for me and for my mum, I think I caused her the most problems throughout Kimba.
Speaker 5: We met Kimball, you know, Kimbo. We met her at the wedding of you were dance and hard. Let's just call her and ask she does.
Speaker 3: Froth you like she was frothing you at the wedding.
Speaker 2: A wedding speech, I mean had to it was my wedding.
Speaker 3: Shen't no one has to do anything.
Speaker 2: Imagine she caught up at wedding and just sit to speech.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: The first thing she said in my speech was she'd like to acknowledge that my.
Speaker 4: Brother was there and he was gay. Didn't she say he was gay?
Speaker 1: He was?
Speaker 3: She did? He is gay?
Speaker 2: He's married.
Speaker 4: No, the other one.
Speaker 2: I only have one.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was at the wrong wedding. Let's call kim Kimbo. Let's dial. I've got a number, my poor mom. Hello, Hi, mom My, Kimbo.
Speaker 3: You're on, You're on the radio. We just should tell you that before you're saying, am I.
Speaker 2: We have a very important question for you. Who is your favorite child out of the three of us.
Speaker 7: I don't have a favorite equally long, I.
Speaker 3: Don't believe that.
Speaker 4: That's bullshit. Yeah, you've got one.
Speaker 2: Do you think it would be Alish Alicia, my older sister, she was so well behaved growing up, she was so academic. Or do you think it is my younger brother Matt or me? Maybe I do get a look in.
Speaker 7: No, you're all the same special What are.
Speaker 6: Your I mean we're asking for a reason. Do you have like do use one of the kids's passwords? Is your passwords for like emails? Ah? Yeah, I do?
Speaker 2: Okay, you use one of our names only for most of your passwords?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: Laura?
Speaker 1: You were right?
Speaker 2: I'm going to put money on this.
Speaker 4: It is my brother.
Speaker 2: Why is he the favorite?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 2: Does that make him the fame? Why did you choose his name as the password name?
Speaker 7: I think because when the internet started.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, well, thank you for acknowledging that, kid, But you also need to go and change all your passwords now.
Speaker 2: Don't be hacked.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Next to the pickup.
Speaker 5: I was at a wedding over the weekend, and you know how seating plans at weddings can be highly political.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, you want to be at like the good table, the main table, closest to the bridal table.
Speaker 2: Whoever's the most important usually sit the closest to the bride.
Speaker 3: And it's like on the plane. You don't want to be sat next to the toilet.
Speaker 5: Totally. The person that took precident. Actually, the people that took precident over me at this wedding have left me very offended. I think it'll shock you. Who it is? The dog? No, no, no, I wouldn't be at working with the dog. That's exit the pickup. It's the pick up with Britt, Laura and Mitch Rock. Call we all here, check here president, Hello, Mitch, I'm here, Hey all, Thanks to Chemists ware House. Laura's hands up get ahead of the spread this flu season with annual flu vaccinations available at Chemists ware House only nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Now I know I'm in my wedding era or my friends are getting married here?
Speaker 3: Really are?
Speaker 2: They're really every weekend. I mean I'm not jealous, but like every weekend you go to a wedding.
Speaker 5: Well, it's my mid mid to late twenties, so that's when all friends start to get married, you know, and where I'm.
Speaker 4: From, they get married, their babies and get a house.
Speaker 3: It's very the vibe you're in the Yeah, you are in the wedding area.
Speaker 5: Yes, so my friends are getting married and these are very very close family friends to me, so not really in the friend circle every weekend. But we go back a long way, so I wasn't expecting to be sat next to the bride and groom at the at the table. You know how the table seatings at weddings are very political. Yeah, yeah, I had a great seat at your wedding, Laura, with Maddie.
Speaker 7: That was.
Speaker 4: I was very impressed with my seat.
Speaker 2: Then, because seating also is a hierarchy, right, It's like if you're seated close to the bride and groom, then you're obviously very important to them, and the further out you are, the less important you are.
Speaker 4: Exactly, you were.
Speaker 1: Literally next to me and Laura's wedding. Thanks for remembering I was closer, actually, thanks lost. I get to this wedding with my boyfriend Hayden and my family there. It's a family friend's wedding, so my mum and dad are up really close to the bride and groom. I go, that's okay, Hayden and I get the first table.
Speaker 4: We go, our names aren't on here. We got to the second table. Names aren't on here all the way to the sixth.
Speaker 5: Table, and our names are on the sixth table, right down the southern end, at the furthest point from the bride and groom, and I go, I get checks out, that's okay.
Speaker 2: The table was in the toilet. It was good for a very quick exit.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and it was right next to the toilet, so which is a bit unfortunate, but I sort of caught that.
Speaker 4: I was all right.
Speaker 5: I sit down at our seat, and I noticed there are four seats on the left of us free, so I move up.
Speaker 4: Clear people aren't here.
Speaker 5: So we sit in these seats and we sit there and the MC comes up to us and he goes, sorry, guys, do you mind moving out of these seats.
Speaker 4: They're not your seats. You've got your own seats. And I go, oh, oh, there must be arriving late country wedding.
Speaker 2: And these four seats are closer to the bride and groom and just better seats, better seats, closer to the further away from the toilet.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, So we move back to our two last seats at the end of the table. The wedding starts. I go, god, these people are running really late. You know, they're not going to make the wedding. You know, they've already missed the intro and the first dance. And we're sitting there and the dad gets up to make his.
Speaker 4: Father of the Bride speech. In the middle of the speech, he starts to walk towards us, and I go, oh, my god, what what's going on here? Why's he coming over to me? Like maybe he knows I'm a radio anounce and wants me to speak. You know, I'm getting ready. MC on the on the fly.
Speaker 5: He comes up to us and he stops he stares at these empty seats and he starts to cry, and I think, oh my god, what has happened. Oh no, he says, there are so many of you here in this room that we love with all our hearts, but there are some here that couldn't make it to this room today.
Speaker 4: That's why we have.
Speaker 5: Left four empty seats to represent non Nah, Poppa, Nanu and Papu who couldn't make it.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me you got shafted for dead people.
Speaker 2: Just brought them at the end of the table, So you.
Speaker 3: Are less important than people that are no longer here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I fully appreciate It's a beautiful gesture. I think it is lovely and I'm not making that was beautiful. And I teared up because I was at the very hands, but I was gutted for a moment. And Hayden and I are playing foot seas under the table, going.
Speaker 4: Have we really been shafted for people?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: It's funny with these long tables. So there was a break in the middle and you were just like next to the empty seat. Yes, like you've been sectioned away. And so did they also get like.
Speaker 3: Did the deceased to get food?
Speaker 2: Did you get to take their meals.
Speaker 4: That's what I was so mad about.
Speaker 5: They got bread, which is why I thought they were coming, and I didn't even touch it, and God for me. Do you know, as soon as it was announced that they were no longer arriving at the wedding, I ate their.
Speaker 4: Bread and I enjoyed. Nothing wrong, nothing wrong with that at all.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Of course it hurt me, I understand that lovely gesture, but I understand.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go on that note. I will and what are up next? To drive your home and we will see you tomorrow for Friday, guys,