Speaker 1: Good money. It's a Christian Colors Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you very much for downloading this. We do this with our big interviews and we're doing this with Ricky Gervais. Was lucky enough to catch up with Ricky live from London, Live to Australia. This is the full raw unedited interview for your ears if you haven't checked it out yet. After Live Season two, which obviously the a lot of this chat is about, is out now on Netflix wherever you are in the world. It is outstanding. I can't recommend it enough. For now, though. Let's crack on Ricky Jervas talking life, love, mops, badminton, all of it, enjoying Hello, you're right hello mate. First of all, all we talk about after Live season two, I'm keen to catch up and let me please let us know. How are you coping in lockdown?
Speaker 3: Fine?
Speaker 1: I've said so many times. You never hear me complain. When there's nurses doing forteen.
Speaker 3: Hour shift in their house and left found its house to do. It's good work.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I'm I'm a writer, so I can do that at home. I'm not, but I could be if I wanted it.
Speaker 3: I should be writing I'm just not so.
Speaker 1: I've always got enough boothing for a nuclear winter. I'm always on the couch by six pm, drinking wine and watching Netflix, so that hasn't changed. Obviously, the gigs are postponed, but you know what you're going to do. I reckon there'd be the last things back because it's like, you know, ten thousand theaters, so.
Speaker 3: Hopefully they happen next year. So I'm good, you know. And the.
Speaker 1: Fact that season two has gone down the storms really given me a little spring in my step to start.
Speaker 3: Thinking about season three. So I'm good. Driving Jane mad because she usually gets the house to.
Speaker 1: Us out an office down the road where I have meetings and work, so I'm home all the time.
Speaker 3: So I've heard this quite a lot. Okay, keep quiet from it. Let me just finish this sentence about maybe in a minute.
Speaker 2: It's like she's got now she's got a kid who's at home, who's normally at school, but he's a fifty something kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's feel weird.
Speaker 1: Six Yeah, but you know what it's it's it's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm getting used to it. I've never used zoom so much. Oh well, that's a good thing about it.
Speaker 1: As well, because like usually you have to you know, travel to do interviews, and now I just do them all on zoom. So I think I've done back twice as many interviews because I'm just.
Speaker 2: At home on the bon In my mind, You've got like about twenty four different clocks on the wall with all different time zones. Because as I was watching the credits roll after the last episode of After I've Season two, I see all the credits afterwards. If you let it roll, you'd obviously be aware of this, but they surprise me of it's vi actually every single one hundred and fifty whatever it is countries in the world, Turkey, it goes all Africa, it goes all around the world with all the different credits, the little slide of.
Speaker 1: It mad I mean, I translated it into undred and fifty languages.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know they were undred and fifty languages. It's incredible. There've got one hundred and seventy million.
Speaker 1: Subscribers around the world, so you can imagine when that all comes out and exactly the same time, whatever your time zone. The reaction is incredible. And I see it on Twitter. I wake up and I've had like eight hours worth of people tweeting me through the night from all over the world. And I mean it's like the first few days, it's like a couple of tweets every second. It was mental and I try and read them and see, you know, like them all, but it's crazy.
Speaker 3: You just can't give her. And that grows.
Speaker 1: Because obviously the first season, it took months for everyone who watched it to watch it. People were finding it all the time, but those people were waiting for the second season to come out. So it's like the year's worth of people who watched the first season watched the second in the first few days. So it's been it's been phenomenal. But I don't I don't know. I don't know the figures really. I know, you know, I know it goes down well, but I don't know how many people watch it in the India and Russia.
Speaker 2: And were you worried about, obviously promoting a show which is coming out in such an extraordinary time like Lockdown, whether a show about grief and those kind of things would be a buzzkill people would avoid it.
Speaker 1: I wasn't because you've got to ignore those things, because you know, you can you can read.
Speaker 3: Things into anything.
Speaker 1: Like I'll be doing a joke on tour for a year and then something happens in the news and.
Speaker 3: You've sort of got to acknowledge it.
Speaker 1: But because people think, as you just made that joke tonight, after that terrible thing happens, you know, but there's always a terrible thing happening. And at least with this, people know, oh, he must have written this and filmed it a year ago, you know, So people understand that. And people watch old things and new things, and I don't think people are watching this being reminded of the it's there, you know, how could you forget that there's a pandemic? So I think if anything, it's escaping them like everything else. And also, you know, people are tired of watching TV programs made of zoom.
Speaker 3: The high thing, you.
Speaker 1: Know, lovely graining and dove and beautiful sounds great. And also it's about things that are inside us and they're always there. No one needs to be reminded that they've gone through a grief or worries or anxiety. It's just it's always there, and it's sort of about that, and I think people embrace it.
Speaker 3: Because real life's worse.
Speaker 1: You know, and the overwhelming reaction was people's emotional response. We've got three hundred letters my agent. That never happens, and it was people telling their personal story. Where people come at to me on the street. Usually it's well done at the globes or love the office or whatever, and this one people would side up to his say, I've just got to say, I lost my brother three weeks before I watched that and it was amazing.
Speaker 3: That really helped it. It was me, that was me totally. I went through that.
Speaker 1: And so people like things they recognize because people want to know that they're normal, you know, and everyone's grieving. Everyone is grieving to some extent all the time, you know, and one in four people suffer from some form of mental illness, whether it's depression or anxiety or just a little bit nervous sometimes around people. You know, it can be anything. And so people like seeing themselves reflected in something because it tells them they're not there's nothing wrong or abnormal about them. And I think people are drawn to that and they want it to be to discussed intelligently and in a funny way. No harm can come from discussing taboos subjects. We also second guess the public way too much.
Speaker 3: We sit at artists and creator and studios.
Speaker 1: They go or the general public can't take that, or they don't like swearing, or they can't take things. But listen, real life is steel scarier than fiction, and we create our own heroes and villains. There's role playing for the soul. People love taking themselves through this scary forest of emotions and they come out the other side and they're better, They feel stronger. Crying makes you feel just as good as laughing. And I really don't distinguish between sort of comedy and drama. It's just it's me facting emotions to strangers around the world and and then they download their own emotions and and and that's good. That's a that's a great workout. It makes people feel and that's what's.
Speaker 3: Great about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so true. Isn't it great? Ar what it is music, comedy, film is about. Actually, it's it's about making us feel less alone. It's about feeling your feelings better, isn't it Well?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Because even if you go on I'm not going to go there, I'm not going to think about it, You're still thinking about it in your subconscious Your stomach is thinking about it.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't get away with it. It comes out in your dreams or or something.
Speaker 1: And and all the symptoms of anxiety are incredible. They feel they all feel like something else. You know, you can have heart palplications, headaches, temperature.
Speaker 3: Upset stomach, you can have all these things that I'm ill. And all it is is you're you're feeling.
Speaker 1: Anxious or you're worried about something, you know, And I really think that we're living in a time now there's never been a better time to discuss these things.
Speaker 3: I think back when I was a kid, a working class kid on a counselor estate where you know, it was all manual workers and.
Speaker 1: The same amount of people were probably depressed. But in those days, a bloke, you know, he had a drink and went to bed. And you know, I think a number of times when that they weren't diagnosed.
Speaker 3: They were depressed, but they didn't.
Speaker 1: Know it, or they didn't want to admit it, or there was there was no one to talk to.
Speaker 3: There was just no one to talk to.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's only been in recent times in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: Where you know, men can go you.
Speaker 1: Know, I think I'm depressed it's really it's incredible. So this shining away from stuff, I've never been one for it either commediately automatically, and people want you to go there.
Speaker 3: They want to, They want to go through this. They want to. Whether whether we think they do or not, they do and they can take it.
Speaker 2: I think, actually, Ricky, I think there's TV show and what it really talks about, because actually it starts with being about grief. But actually, when I finished watching the second season, you will is actually it's about love. And I think that goes back a lot of your work. If you go back to David Brent and the office. Right to me, if I've got it right or certainly not my interpretation of it, what does that matter? But mind too much. It was a guy that needed a hug. It was a guy who was alone, right, struggling, it's scared.
Speaker 1: It all comes down to this. We all want to be happy. We don't know how to do it. Sometimes we're sold bad advice people. You know, people think that fame can make them happy, so they go for that and they go, oh, I'm not happy.
Speaker 3: Why am I happy? Well, because you're not doing someone you love, You're not you know.
Speaker 1: I think people don't realize that having work is a huge thing to tick off before you can feel happy. You and h and fame is not the place for it, you know that. I see these reality shows where people go on there and they're bordering on you know, mental illness in a way, and it's not good for them.
Speaker 3: It's not good for them.
Speaker 1: And these people that think, oh, if if I look could just be loved and accepted by strange.
Speaker 3: That we have to well know that that's not true either.
Speaker 1: You know, you've got to learn to sort of love yourself and know you're okay inside.
Speaker 3: And then there's another problem.
Speaker 1: Because narcissism for people people think, well I just love myself.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but you but you can't love yourself for no reason. You know, You've got.
Speaker 1: So you've got to make yourself a better person to then you know, be proud.
Speaker 3: Of yourself in a way.
Speaker 1: So there's all these things, all these things going on in our head, right and you know, there's a line in this one where Tony says, you know, we're chimps with brains the size of a planet. No wonder we go mentally. You know, it's hard. It's all these the sight or questions that have been they've been invented by our evolution.
Speaker 3: Our biological evolution.
Speaker 1: Has not kept up with all the technology and all these fads and things. So it is confusing social media it amplifies all these problems. It's not normal. So of course people feel anxious. Anxious is A is the new big illness at the moment. And you're right that all it comes down to is people want to be loved and.
Speaker 3: They sometimes they need a hug. And this is literally about love as well.
Speaker 1: I realized halfway through, right in the second season, this was a love story. It is, you know, it started the high concept is A is a you know, fun with a missing throb who's lost everything and he can say what he wants.
Speaker 3: That's you know, that's that's actually the eye first.
Speaker 1: But actually it is a love story between a man and his wife. It's as simple as that. And again all his confusions, he doesn't he's going through the seventh stages of grief. We hit the ground running with sort of like denial, shock, anger. Now he's going through negotiations saying, so, okay, why why should I stay around?
Speaker 3: It? Ask the big.
Speaker 1: Question if you lose everything, his life's worth living? And he keeps He asked himself that question every day. And he needs reasons. He needs reasons to stay alive. And he's trying. He's trying stuff. In the first season he tried violence and drugs didn't help. Now he's trying kindness and you know, and again it doesn't always work, because it's got to be real. If you know you've got you've got to feel good in your own head. That's all that matters. It doesn't matter what's happening outside.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter what stunny or rain, doesn't matter. There's a war on. If you're not good in your own head, you're not good. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought at the end of it, especially the last three episodes of season two, it felt like it was a love letter to love. You know, the love you have for your friends, the love you have for hopefully your partner. And when it's not there, what is grief. It's the it's the yearning, it's the betting for the love that is still there in you but not obviously externally and around you. Then trying to find your way into a new love. And the last line, I don't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen it, yet the last line just flawed me. I literally just open me up. It was one of the most beautiful lines. It comes out of nowhere and it's so tender, well done. Ricky. I think it's your. I actually think it's not you. It's your most personal work so far. And I don't think you could have written this and performed it so well twenty or thirty years ago, because I get the feeling that when we get into the kind of second half of our lives, you want to try and make sure you're saying all the stuff that's actually really important.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely right.
Speaker 1: You suddenly realize that although cliches the cliches for a.
Speaker 3: Reason, they're absolutely true. They're absolutely true, that the.
Speaker 1: Big things are things like love and oneness and kindness and all these things. It's like, you know, you have to Everyone knows it deep down, but they have to go through it and realize that it's uh.
Speaker 3: And if you can, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the earlier you realize that that, I think the better life you'll have. But it is hard because there's there's so many there's so many I don't know, diversions. You know.
Speaker 4: The new thing about it was fame and people fell for it. They thought fame would make them happy. And also now with social media, everyone's living a line and everyone's believing it. People see, you know, people with these amazing filters next to a bot that isn't there, and people go, well, I'm a failure.
Speaker 3: I'm a failure. Then I need abbs in a boat. Now you don't. You don't need abs in a boat. You need friends. That's what you need, and you need honesty. And when I when I was growing up, right as I say, I was the.
Speaker 1: Fourth child of an immigrant labor on a counselor state, a poor counter state. We had no money at all, and my mum was a you know, a homemaker and she could do everything she could.
Speaker 3: She grew a verst.
Speaker 1: Well she'd cooked, she's sold, she made clothes, she decorated, she did everything with no money. And she gave me everything except money, right, and that made me realize that the best things were free. That was nature, learning and friends. And that hasn't changed. It hasn't changed.
Speaker 3: It never will. It just never will.
Speaker 2: And you know the end, But what a tiny mine because actually with it, I think the messages to come out of after like season two are actually just what the world needs right now, because as we're forced to go inside our houses and making us go inside and spend time with ourselves, and most of us don't want to do that. You find any which way of spending actually time with yourself because stuff starts coming up about you know, are you happy in life? What's it all about? The struggle of it all? And actually, right now we're being forced to do that. So I think this is the perfect time for your show to come out.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think people are probably speaking to their family more than they did. You know, you're certainly concerned, and you think, oh, yeah, that's important.
Speaker 3: I want them around, don't I don't want anything to happen to them? And I totally agree. And it does make you reflect and you want to if you miss the things you didn't know you missed. I don't pot around the shots.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to now I can't. It's like it's it's it's it's yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and this show is about that as well.
Speaker 1: This shows about the mundane being important, and the ordinance being extraordinary and and a tiny life.
Speaker 3: Everyone's got up.
Speaker 1: Everyone's life is their universe, and we're all the same.
Speaker 3: We're all the same.
Speaker 5: And as soon as you realize, as soon as you really get true empathy, you sort of go towards one this as soon as you realize that even though you think you're having the worst day ever, that everyone thinks, you certainly.
Speaker 3: Start thinking, maybe my life's not the bad. Maybe there's that saying, isn't.
Speaker 1: It that if the world got together and put all their problems in the hat, and it took them out and experienced everyone else's life, they'd want to return with their own problems. They'd want to take their own problems home with them, the ones they've put in the hat.
Speaker 3: And I think I think it's true. I think it's true.
Speaker 2: I you know, they say, and obviously you do right about what you know. And this is where you are in your life right now, and you're reflecting your stand up and then your work as well. I know last year because I actually sent you an email going where did you get the mop from? On social media? You are very excited you brought some new amazing mop. I'm watching After Nice season two, and when the character starts talking about this amazing mop and it starts going into so much detail, I'm thinking, that's your that's your mop.
Speaker 3: I dislike the idea, but it's you know, people would be annoyed at a thoughtless present because it's suggested that they're the ones that's going to do the mopping.
Speaker 1: And that was obviously the comedity, which she's feeling sorry for herself. Yeah, and I like the juxtaposition that she suddenly realized that she's moaning about getting a mop and not being happy yet at thirty and she's talking to a man who's just lost his wife that as well, And again it was an ined for her to say she feels sorry to him for saying, oh, sort of just be happy. And that was an important issue that I learned from all the reactions to series one, because I realized that I had to treat it responsibly because people suddenly identified with the grief. I couldn't just have him snap out of it, because that's not real. You don't just get better, you don't just you know, many times I tweeted once that saying to someone with depression to just snap out of it is rather like saying for someone just stop having cancer.
Speaker 3: It's not that easy, you know. And so that was that scene. But yes, I did buy him Mark. I was very excited by it, and it worked. A tree worked a tree. Thanks for asses.
Speaker 2: That's all right, And so are you? Are you enjoying the lack of meetings because in your line of work on one of the worst is is you have to have a lot of meetings, And are you enjoying that now you can do quite a lot of them on zoom and still get stuff done.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love it. I'm doing more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think the world has realized that you don't need to get on a plane to go and have a meeting now, and you haven't really needed to for about ten years.
Speaker 3: So I am happy with that. The only thing, you know what, the only thing I'm.
Speaker 1: Missing, obviously, you know, I want to roll around with dogs on how to teeth, but you can't because people.
Speaker 3: Are a bit nervous at the moment. But I suppose the gigs it's an inconvenience.
Speaker 1: Though, And I was really loving the tour and going to different places and experience it.
Speaker 3: You know, but listen, you know you can't complain. We're just postponing it. It's like we do it next year where ever. Wee feels good and things are back to normal. But yeah, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: I'm absolutely fine, And this is the.
Speaker 3: Time that you realize that you really do you do have to.
Speaker 1: I never want anyone to complain about the NHS again. I never want to hear people complaining about the way or nurses or doctors or.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, anyone on the front line.
Speaker 1: I just think we've got to remember that we we clapped them, and that that should always be there.
Speaker 3: They should be you know, the New Year's Honors list should not go to celebrities this year. It should go to those people.
Speaker 1: What a great idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it should only go to those people every year, the heroes.
Speaker 3: It should go exactly, it should those people. Anyway, give it to someone who gave a kidney to a stranger.
Speaker 1: Don't give it to someone who invented a new type of mascara.
Speaker 2: You know, has it ever gone to someone who's got masco? I'm going to google it.
Speaker 6: When I.
Speaker 1: Know I've seen people uh given a knighthood services to fashion want the.
Speaker 6: Services to go and then great in my life, I mean, it's Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Ob services to a man who invented the.
Speaker 1: Money people who are finding cure for cancer and ads and.
Speaker 3: It's not that hard.
Speaker 2: Are you finding a lockdown, Ricky that you go into your fridge a lot more? Are you trying to be disciplined.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I am trying to be disciplined.
Speaker 1: And in fact, we've been ordering uh you know, sort of you know, are groceries we haven't been doing.
Speaker 3: We haven't been doing like you know, christ and nuts to keep us.
Speaker 1: In fact, I might even have had a bit less to drink because I've been going to bed earlier, so you know, and I've been getting the same amount of exercise.
Speaker 3: I'm doing a ma run or whatever, but making bad with me in the garden. And you know what it feels. It feels pressure that the air feels better, the less pollution, the sky looks nicer. You know. I'm trying to find, you know, all the positives in this, and there.
Speaker 1: Are some, but you know, you sort of you like the world, you know, and and slowly but surely I hope it returns to normal for everyone's sake, because you know better the devil, you.
Speaker 2: Know, It's true. The image is so poud of you out in the garden playing badminton is a powerful image that will stay with me like a mad king.
Speaker 1: Well it's weird as well, because you know, you play badminton and you think you're playing a sport.
Speaker 3: And then the shuttle Cup Land and with tennis, I can pick that ball up without bending over. I can, I can, you know, I can bang it or I can put it okay and do that trick. With badminton, I have to bend over. And you hear this every time.
Speaker 2: It's such an extreme sport. It's such an extreme step.
Speaker 3: And the and the rackets too, flims. If you need to lean on it as.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll let you go, Ricky. It has always enjoyed talking to you, and I thought after Live Season two, I think it's as an actor as your best, what you've ever done, and it is what the world needs right now. Well done, my friend. It's brilliant, brilliant work. I loved it.
Speaker 3: Cheers man, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Take care, Ricky, Thank you very much, Stay safe mate, byey.
Speaker 1: Hello Christian O'Connell Show Podcast