Speaker 1: Are you a butter person or do you prefer march or are you just utterly confused if you should even eat butter or maybe go for a margarine instead. Today on the Nutrition Couch, we break down three popular butters and see which one stacks up as the best in our books. And stay tuned for the next week's episode. Because you guessed it, we're covering different types of margarine. Hi only one Wood and I'm Suzy Burrow and it's two of the Atreias leading dieticians. We bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, our favorite second of the week where we chat new products and old favorites that you can find in Aussie supermarkets. All right, Susie, hit me. Are you a butter girl? You are on you? I know you are a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bake with butter, like the only time I really use it is with veggiemite, and I am a big veggimite person. And to be honestly, Anne, it depends what's on sale now because it's so expensive, and we'll talk about the real spreadable butters. They can be really pricey and because you know, it's hard to get a small amount because they're often quite hard, so I often will just buy actually what's on sale because I don't use it a lot. Like if I'm having avocado or nutspread, I won't use it at all, So i'd really try and minimize the amount that I use in general. But you know, probably, yes, I would argue butter because it does have a nicer taste, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't try and not really use it, you know what I mean much at all?
Speaker 1: What about you? Yeah, I'm like you. I'm like you. I don't really use it. I do like if I'm out at breakfast and there's like a beautiful piece of like fresh hot saldo, I will use some you know, good old butter on my saldo. But generally in my fridge, I've got an olive oil spread. That's my preference. I grew up eating that. Like you, I don't eat a lot of it, So I would use it if I was maybe making a toasted sandwich, or if I am having a bowl of soup, I do like a little bit of a spread on a piece of toast to sort of dip into my soup. They're probably the only real two occasions that I'll use it. If I'm making, say like a sandwich. I don't really put butter on it. If I'm making even like crackers and that sort of thing, I don't really I will use it with vegiemite like you. But again I'll use my olive oil spread typically because I think, yeah, growing up, I always just found butter so hard and nothing annoyed me more when you're putting holes in your bread trying to spread it. So I've never really grown up. We just didn't really have butter in my household growing up. So it's a little bit of an interesting chat today around the ones that we've chosen, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I'll asked all the time, people really want to know this, so I think when you suggested it, I thought it was really good topic. And I am particularly thrilled that you've put the labels for me so big because I generally can't read them. So yeah, thanks for that. Thanks very sure that I can participate in the conversation.
Speaker 1: All right, Well today the first one is the Meadowly Buttery spread five hundred grams at wools. I think it sells, it calls well, but woll wors it's five hundred grams and it's five dollars, so you know, it's quite a large tub for five dollars. It's not you know, there's definitely a lot more expensive ones out on the market. So this one contains sixty percent vegetable oil. So this is interesting because it's marketed as butter. I would say, like it's called buttery, right, it's a spread happiness buttery. But I think it's actually a margarine, isn't it, because it's very high vegetable oil content.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you've put it here though, because it really highlights that they slip in and they masquerade as butter. Because you're right, it says buttery on it and it's completely play and when you look at it, it's actually margarine because it's sixty percent vegetable oil. And we're going to show a couple of examples of that, which is why we wanted to talk about it today. So you really do need to be mindful of that and take the glasses and really check because it does kind of look like butter and it's parading as butter, but when you're having a look at it, it's actually not butter. It's margarine.
Speaker 1: So we've got sixty percent vegetable oil with forty seven of that being canola oil. Are you assuming the other thirteen percent would be palm oil?
Speaker 2: Not always because it gives it. Palm oil would give us a bit of a sludgy text, wouldn't It Could be anything of it to be sunflower just a blend, even might be sort of palm, but a blend.
Speaker 1: So interesting they didn't put it anyway. So, yeah, sixty percent visual oils, followed by water, salt, animalsifies, followed by some natural flavors, some natural color one sixty A and some added Vitamin A and vitamin D in there as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it. There's not a huge amount we can really say, is there? Now? Most of them? I think it's actually mandatory. Isn't it for margarine to be fortified with vitamin D in Australia?
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that correct? Does that sound familiar to you? It's such a like I just say to my clients like I'm like you, I get asked all the time, and I'm like, pick the one that you just like the taste of. Like to me, they don't provide positive health benefits like margarine or butter. We're not getting anti inflammatory properties like we are we're having extraversion olive oil or avocado. Like to me, I'm just like, pick the one you prefer, which one's cheaper if it's in the budget. Like, I think we're sort of splitting hairs. I don't know if you're eating if you're eating margarine for your vitamin D, you're doing it wrong, you know what I mean? That's true?
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, true, And sometimes they're fortifying to give it a bit of color as well, because naturally a process vegetab oil doesn't look particularly appealing. Now, just you know, in terms of reference, this is a serving size of ten grams, which isn't insignificant. You know, a ten grams serve is to sort of a heaped tea spoon.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not the tiniest amount. You know, you're looking at you shy of what is that? Sixty calories? Like, it's not insignificant.
Speaker 1: I think people would use twice that. Like, I think they'd use ten grams per slice of toast, and most people would have two slices of toast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, people do tend to go a bit thick, particuarly if you are doing it with vegemite. But just as a reference point, you're getting one and a half grams of saturated fat in the total fat you're getting six You're getting a quarter of that is saturated and half of it is mono. So the proportion of what we would call good fat to bad fat is certainly in favor of the better fats, but they are sort of process forms of that. It doesn't really add anything into the diet. And as such, I know myself go for any spread that's adding minimal fat in because I'm not using it functionally. It's purely just for texture or taste of a certain food, So I sort of it's just it doesn't give me anything. I just would refer to it as a nothing food. It's not overly it's not overly bad. It's not got anything to really talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just to round off that nutrition panel, less than a gram of carbohydrate, which we would expect, lessen a gram of protein, forty milligrams of sodium, so you know, fairly insignificant unless you're eating tablespoons of it a day. One hundred micrograms are vitamin A and one microgramm of vitamin D, so small amount. You know, roughly ten percent of your audi for the day. Again, if you're getting your vitamin A from butter, you're kind of doing it wrong.
Speaker 2: Like it's it's ridiculous, idly am because this product's got three health stars, like come on, like a process food, like they shouldn't have any stars, like come on. That's why the health star writing is so misleading.
Speaker 1: I don't see anything positive in terms of this, So I don't really see anything positive in any margarine. So that's difficult to sort of say, yep, we give this a green line or yep, we say no to it. I really think, as we mentioned, it's really well a family's budget, yeah, wouldn't either. And I think it's good for people to be aware that this isn't butter, this is actually margarine. So you're getting some of those processed vegetable oils. But I will say that there's been a lot of talk on social media lately around processed vegetable oils being very inflammatory, going completely rancid, being really dangerous to cook with. A lot of that is just fear mongerene. There's not actually a whole lot of research and science behindss like vegetable oil such as carnola oil being that bad for our house. Of course, we want to minimize, you know, any sorts of oils in large amounts, and we don't want huge amounts of fats going into our diet. But I think that a lot of it has been blown out of the water. I'm seeing a lot of you know, quote unquote holistic nutritious and health coaches really saying that caranola oil is one of the worst things that you can put into your body. It causes inflammation, it causes chronic diseases, all of these sorts of things. So I think if you enjoy, you know, a small amount of margarine on your toast in the morning, then go for a chooser one that fixs in with your you know, family's budget. Really, and I think we're kind of splitting hairs to pick a better type of margarine unless you really are eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Speaker 2: Well, the issue with this one is it's masquerading is butter, and there's no butter in ith Like. There's certainly products that have you know, some vegetable oil in the butter, but at least I've got some butter. So I think that's why thumbs down from me. It doesn't even have any butter in it, so completely misleading. So that's not ideal, you know. I think companies need to do better in that space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the marketing from food companies really has to step it up. In twenty twenty three, the nutrition couch you've been put on notice matter now. The second one we've chosen is Lurpak, the spreadable slightly salted butter. I would say, so this one's very popular. I know a lot of clients really prefer this on because it does spread really nicely. So it's a four hundred gram tub for seven dollars, so it is more expensive than the margarine we just talked about, but I think it at least it contains some butter, like you mentioned zuzi. So the ingredients are butter at sixty four percent followed by a conola oil at twenty six percent, so it's still kind of a blend, but at least it's majority butter. If you're buying a butter, you want to pay for butter, followed by water, lactic culture, salt, and vitamin D. So nutrition wise, if we look at perserving, that's also ten grams two hundred and ninety kilodules less than a gram of protein, less than a gram of carbs, seven point eight grams of fat with three point five of that being saturated would make sense from a high percentage of the butter with thirty six milligrams of sodium going in there as well. So I mean, you know, I would say it's a fairly clean ingredient list. We probably want to see a high percentage of butter if you're buying something that is butter. But this one, I have tried it. I'm a fan like I think it spreads really nicely. It is a little bit more expensive, I will say, but it has a nice taste in it. You know, it goes well on sandwiches and toast and that sort of thing. So I do know a lot of my clients use this one and they quite like it. I don't have this one in my fridge at home, but I don't really see anything wrong with this one as as an option if you're someone that likes a little bit of spread on your toast occasionally.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to say lean that when this product was discussed on a big women's podcast, there was sheer horror that Lurpack was actually a blend and not one hundred percent butter because as we know lurpack, it's kind of the gold standard in flavor and taste of butter, known to be so just as nice, and so when people became aware that it actually isn't a hundred percent butter, they were somewhat horrified. Now I understand why Lourpack have blended because butter is hard. It's a saturated fat primarily, so it doesn't spread. So by blending it with some canola oil, it allows it to be more spreadable, and nutritionally you do reduce a bit of saturated fat. But the argument is that you know, Lurpack markets as butter and it's actually it isntains butter, but it's not one hundred percent butter, and people were actually pretty shocked to hear that, and they wanted to be able to buy it. So I think it's a little bit cheeky again because if you notice on it, it doesn't call it so it's not lowpack butter. You see how they're calling it lurpack spreadable for that reason because it's got the blend. So I think I think listening to this, some of our listeners will also be like, what do you mean it's not butter? Because it does. Lurpack is synonymous with butter, but this is a blend and as such, I think you have to call I think it's still a marjorie.
Speaker 1: I don't think you can call it. But it's stressed up in sheepskin, it's got butter in ash, but it's a blend. Isn't it interesting that their marketing has led you to believe that this is like the best butter on the market. But when I think of Lurpak, I think this is a premium butter on the market. You go, but you're right, it's a blend, and yeah, to make it spreadable, I mean, it makes sense, but they haven't actually said that it's butter. They just inferred or other people. You know, they've used I don't know, celebrities to promote that sort of thing, and people have this perception that it's the top most expensive butter, it's the best type of butter on the market. But it's really not very interesting. Who's who's the Lurpack celebrity? I don't know, just you know, I figured that, you know, they're so big in the media. Surely they've used a celebrity at one time.
Speaker 2: Danish Is that is that Princess Mary.
Speaker 1: Or Princess Mary supported, I would definitely buy it.
Speaker 2: I like her, I would imagine she definitely would be product. But yeah, so controversial at best, and it does taste good though, let's be honest, it tastes amazing. But I stopped buying that after I found that out too, because I felt a bit you being misled. I did, I did, I did, which leads us to the only spreadable butter one hundred percent butter on the market, which is why I wanted to include.
Speaker 1: It from our neighbors across the sea, New Zealand, which is nice to see. It's nice to see, you know, supporting Aussie and New Zealand products, which I think is good.
Speaker 2: And a shout out to our New Zealand friends. We've got some New Zealand clients off the back of the Nutrition Catch podcast, Hello to you.
Speaker 1: We do we do? They don't do many low fat dairy products over there. I must say they need to pick up their low fat dairy game. Most of the stuff over there is full fat. They have a hard time getting low fat options like we talk about.
Speaker 2: On the Nuition Cars for me is talking about blasphem Lean. They had full fat cheese all the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one from our New Zealand friends is the mainland butter soft pure salted butter, so three seventy five grams, so we're getting even smaller for seven to fifty so it's the most expensive out of the lot, but you're right, it's the only one hundred percent spreadable butter on the market. To The ingredients are pasteurized cream and salt, and that's it, and that's the way a butter should be. It's high in sight, treaded fat. It's pure butter for a so that's our ingredient list. And unless it's you know, basically cream, then a little bit of salt added if it's a salted butter. If it was an unsalted butter, it would really just be pasteurized cream. And that's a that's a true butter. And the fact that this is a nice spreader will one, you know, really, as you said, it's one of the only ones in the market, so I think it's it's worth the cost of that's what you're looking for. And nutrition wise, we've got one hundred and fifty two kiler jewels. That's interesting. The serving size is five grams not ten grams, so really you'd be looking at three hundred killer jewels. So it is on the higher end energy one.
Speaker 2: You got to go thin.
Speaker 1: Fat wise, for five grams is four point one grams. If you even that out to ten grams like the others, it's eight point one grams. Saturated is two and a half, so over half of the product is saturated fat, which would make sense because the ingredient's cream less than a gram of carbs, less than a gram of protein, and twenty four milligrams of sodium, So nothing really much there if you broke that into the ten grams serving size, if you about forty five milligrams of sodium there, So not too concerning, do yeah. I mean, if you're looking for a butter, this on ticks all the boxes. It is a little bit more expensive. It does taste good. I've tried before. It spread really nicely. It does what it says it should, and I think that at least you're not you know, it's not dressed up in sheep's clothing parading around trying to be anything else, is it. It's just pure butter and it tastes.
Speaker 2: Good, you know, And it's a company that we know in respect. It tastes really good, and what I like about it is you don't need a losh. I think if you're one of those die hard full cream, milk, full cream, butter, full butter people, no problem. But I would say once a day is more than enough, and you've got to spread really thin because otherwise that sat fat's going to creep up. So it's what two and a half grams are saturated fat per five half of it. So I wouldn't want my clients having any more than two small level teaspoons per day maximum and spreading thin. But it does you right. It tastes really nice, It spreads easily. If I wasn't so tight. If I was going to spend that much money on a spread and used it and really felt passionately about it, this would be the one I would buy over lowpack one hundred percent. But I don't, you know, use very much or use it very often, so I don't myself get at it because seven fifty for that tiny tub is just way beyond like what I like to spend on food. But each to their own, and certainly if someone wanted to use it, it would be the one that I would recommend. And if I was a multimillionaire, I would absolutely get that one bridge.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. What's that beautiful cultured butter they always serve you at the fancy restaurants. Yeah, that must be one hundred percent butter.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, yeah, it's it's like it's so butter, it's almost cream.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: Actually, where I used to live that there was like a wrap around who had their little van with it all on the side. Yeah, it's fantastic. And the serve that they give you at the restaurants is so massive in one hit, but yeah, it's amazing. It's so salty as well. It's like so good. Actually on some of the Instagram or TikTok boards they've been doing, we did butter boards, and so before Christmas they were doing a lot of flavored butters and like infusing the butter with garlic and stuff, like it's just delicious, but it's just pure fat, so not many of us can get away with it, and the way we didn't butter boards, But yeah, do you need it like I do? On Veggiemite toast, we're voting the Mainlands worth the budget spend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, particularly if you don't eat a lot like I would have a tub of spread in my fridge for the better part of three months easily. It really sticks around in my fridge for a long time. So I would probably invest in something like this if I was looking for a butter because it does you know, it's a larger cost, but it does tend to last my family quite a while.
Speaker 2: You know, these really good quality, clean food and that's you know, in terms of overall nutrition, not ever a bad choice as long as you use it in moderation.
Speaker 1: Excellent. All right, Well, that brings us to the conclusion of our butter review, so stay tuned for our margarine review. I know we snuck a cheeking margin here today, so technically we only kind of did one, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: We to do well it's yeah, because you can't do them because butter is butter. So I thought that was reasonable though, because it was good to do the ones masquerading regardless, because I think a lot of our listeners wouldn't have been aware of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right, Well, if you haven't done so ready, we would love if you subscribe to the podcast. Don't forget. We have our live event recording available on our website. That's on hormones, Got Health and butt loss. We've also got our wonderful product guide which takes you through the best pussy supermarket option, so you don't need to spend hours in the supermarket with your tiny little glasses on. We've done the hard work for you. There's over one hundred and thirty products in that guide for a very affordable price, and they're both available on our website, which is the nutrition pouch dot com. They want to check it out. We have a great week everyone, See you later.