Speaker 1: One week into the new year, and hopefully you are feeling refreshed and recharged. While generary can be a cruisy period when you have plenty of time to cook healthy meals and exercise daily, let's be honest. When school and work goes back, life is generally pretty crazy. So to help keep you ahead of things this year, today we chat all the ways you can automate your nutrition in twenty twenty five and even your exercise so that it is easy to eat well and exercise no matter how busy your life gets.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and I'm Leon Mood, and.
Speaker 1: Together we bring you The Nutrition gat the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything you need to know in the world of nutrition, as well as making diet and exercise easier. We thought it was time to chat cafe breakfasts. We found some tasty veggie chips you're gonna love, and our listener question is all about the best drinks for hydration.
Speaker 2: This summer, So Leanne.
Speaker 1: We are right in the summer holidays, which is always a really nice time. It's the time when we can kind of reset a little bit and enjoy some time with family. We don't necessarily have to get up so early, and we've got a lot more time to perhaps cook at home and prepare meals. But let's be honest, the reality is that most of us live in a vortex of overscheduled lives, in which by the time it gets to about February two, you're thinking, I'm back in the whirlwind and thinking do I need to order Uber Eats because I haven't done my meal prep. So I thought it was a really good time to chat about the ways to automate your nutrition, because when I think about the way I manage my family's nutrition, and often I reflect on it when I'm talking to my own clients, because they'll talk about needing to come home and make a dinner, or running out of ingredients.
Speaker 2: Or not knowing what to throw together. And what I've realized is that myself, because time is such a precious.
Speaker 1: Resource, I actually don't spend a lot of time on meal prep. Surprisingly, I really minimize the amount of time I spend cooking in general, planning food shop. And I thought maybe it would be useful for some of our listeners to hear the ways that we make eating healthy easy, because I know actually that you are a massive meal prepper. I now on your Instagram you'll often put your sort of five or six days or several meals that you'll do your meal prep. Have you found that since you've had the two little girls, like under two, under three?
Speaker 2: I think, have you always meal prep like that?
Speaker 1: Or is that something you've just done since you've been more chaotic with the girls.
Speaker 3: I've always mil prep like that because the reality is, I've been coaching as a dietician for what's probably six years now, and since I left the hospital. It was all well and good when I didn't have the girls and I worked my normal hospital job, my normal hours. I could just come home and cook dinner, you know, a normal time, got a gym after work. It was all fine. But the reality is now that I have to work around my client schedules as well. So often my clients want to do calls at five pm, six pm, and seven pm, like often on a Monday and a Thursday night. I'm basically fully booked from five to seven or eight pm. So when I come off at the back of say four hours of client coaching calls, last thing I want to do is cook dinner at eight pm at night, so I need to have something that's ready to go that's easy, and I met meal prep for my girls as well. Like i'd say three or four days of the week, the girls eat from my freezer and I make meatballs in batches. I do beef and veggie meatballs. I do salmon, potato, and dial ones. I do chicken, lentil and broccoli meatballs, So they'll have a couple of different meatballs. They'll have even sweet potato chips. I cut them up, I roast them in the oven, and I bag them into like snaplog bags and I put them in the freezer. I do different types of veggies, like I do frozen peas. I'll do a bit of fresh cucumber, a bit of fresh fruit. Might make some pasta fresh, but that only takes five or ten minutes. So even my girl's benefit from meal prep as well, because I just don't have the time to cook every single night, and I don't have just the ability because of what I do. So meal preps always something that's worked for me. It's always something i've done probably for the last you know, six to ten years. But even while I was working at the hospital, I would often take some form of meal prep for breakfast or lunch, because I was never someone that was hungry when I first woke up. I'd often get hungry around sort of eight or nine o'clock, so i'd often maybe have a cup of tea when I woke up. I'd drive into work. I used to start at the hospital at seven thirty. I like to start early and leave that a little bit earlier, so i'd get to work, I'd get into my emails, look at my client list for the day that I might eat my breakfast at my desk at work while I was prepping for you know, the new clients for the day or getting ready for clinic for the day. So I've always sort of been a meal prepper, but not all of my meals for these days. I think i'd probably prep fifty percent of the meals for the week, and it might not be prepping the entire meal. It might just be pre marinating some of the meat and cooking that and having that ready to go, or chopping up some potatoes, or doing a big tray of roasted veggies which I can then throw into my meals for the rest of the week. So I'm a massive fan of meal prep. I try to encourage my clients to do it. I certainly do have clients that don't love it, like they prefer to cook fresh every night, And there's no right or wrong, but when the reality is that you're not able to from a time constraint, I do feel like it's a really really easy health hack for lack of a better word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that first of all, what we want to say today is there's no rules with this.
Speaker 3: For us.
Speaker 1: It's about generating a whole lot of ideas and you can pick and choose what suits you. I am less of a meal prepper unless I'm doing what i'd call a significant meal. So when I'm breaking down the family's meal preferences for the week, and I have to be honest, I do, and probably my entire life have kind of eaten the same thing on similar nights each week. Now, there's no judgment. If you're someone who likes to have a different meal every night, that's fine. Everyone's personality is different. But myself, I tend to be fairly routine with the sort of run of meals through the week because I find that helps my shopping because, for example, I know, on say Mondays, we have fish on Tuesday, we have lean sausages. On Wednesday, we have a mince dish like Snitzels. Like that kind of flow means that when I do go to the supermarket, I know exactly what protein to buy every time. I don't have to think about it, which again automates it. It makes a bit quicker and even better would be if you're happy to do online shopping, it will then get delivered each week. Now, the reason personally I don'te online shop is that I find it frustrating that the online shoppers don't go and pick necessarily the freshest fresh produce or the meat. So when I'm buying meatly and I'll always go to the back and get the one with the longest use by date. The same with the fresh produce, and I'm fine, they're not discerning with that. Even with bread, like if you look on the supermarket, there can be five days difference between the use by dates of the bread. You can have a bread that's almost out and a bread that's got another week on it. So that makes the difference in shopping and freshness, and that bothers me with online shoppers that you don't get that, so that's why I don't do it, but I agree that it can be really time efficient way of doing it, because yeah, let's be honest, how much time do we spend in a supermarket? So yeah, but in terms of planning out the meals, I'll know exactly what I'm getting, so then I don't have to think too much when I'm in the supermarket. I literally run in and just grab a couple of things that I need, and I'm not spending hours perusing eye I was thinking what do I need.
Speaker 2: And what do I not? But I if I'm doing what i'll call a substantial.
Speaker 1: Meal so for the family generally, and I learned this very early with young children, they don't care if I've spent.
Speaker 2: An hour preparing a meal or one minute. I couldn't care less.
Speaker 1: So I learned early to not waste time on small children in terms of meal prep. So I'll do mostly protein and some sort of salad orveng. So it will either be salmon or barra mundy with some air fried potato or sweet potato chips and some cut up salad bend, or it might be some zucchini and pumpkin mashed kind of together, and then some baked tomatoes. So very very simple, throw together meals with the protein is probably what my kids would have three or four nights a week, and.
Speaker 2: They love it.
Speaker 1: They're very happy with that. It's healthy, it's nutritious. You don't get extra marks for cooking a whole flash meal, especially if you don't enjoy it. Now it's taking away nothing from people who enjoy meal prep. And if you want to make a lovely meal for the family each night, good on you. It's just not I don't have time to do it, nor do I overly have the interest, because food for me is generally work. But if I am doing what I call a substantial meal, So a substantial meal is a meal that requires a number.
Speaker 2: Of steps to put it together.
Speaker 1: So I'm talking like a proper lasagna or spaghetti type mintce where you're adding a lot of ingredients to it. It requires a certain amount of cookie time. It might be a pasta bake, it might be a chicken pie like that kind of intense meal. If I do do it, that would be when I would do that on the weekend and then use it across several meals. So if I'm doing a lasagna, mince or a Mexican mince. I'll do like a kilo and have it last a couple of meals because I'm going to spend that hour or two actually doing that kind of meal prep.
Speaker 2: So I think that's the difference.
Speaker 1: Really break it down in the week, how can you do those five minute meals? And what I find really handing in the supermarkets now luckily, and you are describing you make your meat balls, et cetera fantastic, like it's always generally better if you make it. They tend to be leaner, higher in vegetable content. But again, there are very viable options where you don't.
Speaker 2: Have to do a lot of prep.
Speaker 1: So you can buy the lean beef patties, you can buy the lean sausages. You can get the Coals range of shredded lean meat, which is very do. You can buy the pre crumb chicken. I know in Harris Farm they've got our chicken that's like ninety percent chicken with only ten percent crumb.
Speaker 2: Like that is a very good quality product. Obviously you pay.
Speaker 1: A bit more when it is better quality, whereas the supermarket crumbs are generally only about fifty percent crumb.
Speaker 2: But leanne and I.
Speaker 1: Have discussed several different alternatives to that, which are a much higher proportion of fish and chicken and good choices. So certainly, do not be scared of utilizing those options. Like you can absolutely put some frozen fish in the oven with some steam fresh veggies in a bag we've again spoken about a few of those, or a salad bag with a bit addressing and have a perfectly healthy meal.
Speaker 2: There's nothing to feel guilty about that.
Speaker 1: So I think in terms of automating, the suggestions I have are, if you're happy to online shop at least Staples, that's going to save a significant amount of time. Have some key meals that you do on rotation each week and map it out so again you don't have that mental load of thinking each night what am I doing for dinner?
Speaker 2: Know the quick and easy meals.
Speaker 1: Know that if you haven't had time to prepare anything at all, if you pick up a barbecue chicken and a pune of tomatoes, you're going to be on the right track. Like it can be that simple, and certainly that's a very cost effective way of doing it. The other things I do with some of my clients in terms of automating is getting snacks, foods, delivered to work, or utilizing that work lunch break to duck down to the woolies and coals and get the food, so you're not then adding on shopping onto your schedule after work or on the weekends when you're already busy. Actually utilizing that lunch break which many people won't even take, but you can literally walk your coals and mollies, get some steps up each day, and get a couple of nights of dinners or at least your snacks. And then for office workers who are particularly time poor, I would say, have your snacks like delivered to work for the week. So you might order your protein bars, you might order your yogurts, you might order your cheese and crackers, you might order some nuts and fresh fruit. And it might cost you twenty dollars, but you're going to have snacks for a week that are healthy at work, rather than getting to three o'clock each day and feeling like I'm starving. So that can work really well for office spased people and those who travel a lot for work, I really encourage them to use those metro coals and mollies as the baseline for food. And I think with exercise, the key thing to automating it. If you're someone who literally has no time to do extra, you've got to get more of it out in those days. So whether it is going and doing the walk and the shopping, work time, making sure you're using your lunch break, using the commute as your exercise like many people will be on a bus, will be on a trade rather than constantly telling yourself you're going to pull out another two hours to get to the gym, except that that's.
Speaker 2: Probably not going to happen.
Speaker 1: But what you can do is hop off the station every day one or two earlier and get that extra ten twenty minutes in a day. And that is something that's sustainable and will automate it so you don't have to add more and more onto your already overwhelm schedule.
Speaker 3: I love it. And when you're talking about getting meals to livered, I was never someone who wanted to get my shopping delivered because like you, I'm really picky with a type of produce I get. And this year, the reality is with two small children and full time work and a few businesses, I just don't have that opportunity because if I want to go to the shop MEA wants to come with me the good coals because it's just been redone it's really good. Is a twenty minute drive each way, and then if me, it comes with me. She looks at every flower, every rock on the way in, like it takes us fifteen minutes to get into the shops. Then she wants to look at every single type of cracker. Then we get to the checkout and she wants to scan everything and it's adorable, and yes, I do it, but it's a two hour round to get to the zupermarket and back. So we've been doing a lot of online shops this year. But the downside, like you mentioned, is the quality of the produce. Like a few weeks ago, I basically got chicken breast. It wasn't off, but I took one smell of it and I said to David, smell this, and he's like, oh no, that's done. So that's like twenty kilos of chicken breast I just had to toss. And I still had to go down to my local woolors, which isn't good. Like the produce is terrible that it's just not good, So I tend not to go there. I only go there if I'm desperate. So I had to go down and restock up some protein. And then this week I ordered four salad kits and that was supposed to get David and I threw lunches for the Wig. I got some salmon breasts, I got some tofu, I got some tins of tuna and chickpeas, and I was just going to make some really fresh, easy salads and proteins for the Wig. And the four salad kits I got Suzie. This is last weekend, so say, I don't know. The example was like the twentieth or whatever whatever date it was. Two of the salad kits went off on the twentieth and two went off on the twenty first. And if anyone uses salad kits regularly, but the time it hits use by date, it's done. Like they're generally, I don't buy a salad kit unless I've got at least four to five days on it, because they're not as fresh as what they think, like like it says, oh you can use it to that date. No, they generally go off for a day or two earlier. So that's full bags of stuff. It's like twenty two lolls. Again, I just had to bit because I was like, I can't use these they're discussing. They're already off and it's really frustrating because you've seen the people who do the shopping like they're just kids, they're teenagers. They're walking around and I think they've been told to grab the shortest produce, like the shortest dates, to make sure that the supermarkets don't lose that money. I'm sure that that's what they've been told. It's annoying.
Speaker 1: It's actually a massive issue and it's something that needs to be addressed by supermarkets because at my local, those young kids literally bowl you over with their shopping charts to fill them up quickly. They're on a time thing. But again I would agree they should be being told to go to the back.
Speaker 2: Now. The other thing is did you bring them up and get a refund? Didn't?
Speaker 3: I should have?
Speaker 2: I didn't because it's.
Speaker 1: Actually very easy on both Coals and Woolies automated to just claim the refund and they do pay it straight away.
Speaker 3: Isn't it. I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so it's actually easy. Because I had one time where my mints didn't come. I ordered the extra le mints. They just didn't send it, and I always tick on the list don't replace it with other products, because I don't wanted to put some crap in there that.
Speaker 2: I don't want.
Speaker 1: And when I rang and it just said on automation, I can't even it was probably Woolies. I would have bought mints from Woolies and it said if you haven't received a product, press one and they instantly refunded it. So they have automated that. Quite simple. So I would definitely look into that on your account. But again, anyone who works at Colson wool Worse, you need to fix up that because it's a reason that I don't do online shopping for fresh produce, and it's a widespread issue.
Speaker 2: They should absolutely be being.
Speaker 1: Taught to be pulling stuff with the longest use by date because people are doing online shopping to make their life easier. So it's a real, actually, really valid point. Who I might actually email the nutritionist at Woolies and bring that to her attention. I'm sure it's an issue for many online shoppers. But what I do do now, things like bottled water, the cat litter, the cat food, stuff like that that you need regularly, and there's nothing worse than running out of it and then you have to make another trip to Woolies and spend the fifty bucks on all the other stuff. I do definitely get that delivered, and I get quite a lot of cleaning products now delivered from Amazon. If you've got Amazon Online Prime for food delivery, it can be there the next day and it's often the cheapest, much cheaper compared to supermarkets. So that's the kind of logistical stuff I would suggest you really look into now. The things that cause irritation the running out of the pet food, not having you know, running out of salad stuff each day, Like how do you map the week out to get you to at least Thursday without having to go to a supermarket or shop. You will immediately free up at least an hour if not to, you'll eliminate much stress and you'll probably eat better as a result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the other big thing that I like to automat is I use most locoocas so much, even in summer, Like I do big Mexican like chicken, tomatoes, Capsican beans in there that I just shred the chicken and then I can freeze that and use that as Nacho's use that in a big salad bowl. I can use that in soft tacos like there's so many options. And I do the same thing with mints. I might put a big, you know, a bit of pork or lamb in there and then do that shredded mint and then put just the veggies in there as well. So I really love a slow cookie. You get hips and meals out of it. You can freeze. Sometimes I just do the protein. I throw in, you know, a thing of pork or something, and I'll put some sauce in there, some veggies in there, and then I'll decide what sort of carbs or you know how I want to serve that later on. So absolutely, utilizing things like the slow cooker and the air fry for me is a great automation thing as well because it just cooks things so quickly. And in Queensland it's so hot in summer that you turn the oven on, the entire kitchen heats up, or you need to put the aircorn on when you turn the oven on. So I really think that an air fry is a really good hack as well. And David and I just had our wedding anniversary susin. He said, well, what do you want for an anniversary present? And I was like, I want a new air fry. But we've just got the new the duel basket one, so I'm very excited. And I put it on my Instagram and everyone was like, give us the review, tell us how it was, So I'll have to let people know. But I'm really excited to have the dual ones so I can actually put protein in one and some veggies in the other one because at the moment we've only got the one air fry with the one basket. So yeah, I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Well, you need always need two draws, even I've got two draws. I've just got the Kmart one and I actually bought it because my nanny asks for it because she likes it to do the kid's fish, which is actually good because you don't get the smell of fish throughout the house. But I've always had two baskets. You got to have two because they're not very big. And I've done the foreaters that's my favorite one. You just get the lean chicken tenderloins and chuck it straight in with the Mexican seasoning on one side and on the other the cut up veggies and you've got for heaters in twenty minutes, like so easy. So yeah, I don't use it a lot, but it's very good when I need it, So yeah, No, definitely two baskets in do.
Speaker 3: You put what do you put in your basket, like like baking paper or something just to line it? Do you put something in it to line and you just throw the chicken in?
Speaker 1: My nanny puts baking paper, but I don't. I just put a bit of olive oil and then.
Speaker 3: Just wash the basket out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like I'm quite moist, you know what I mean, Like with if I'm doing the Mexican seasoning with a bit of water and pouring it over. Then if it's fish, I'll put baking paper because I don't necessarily want it all to get stuck, but actually got quite often. I'll just put a bit of oil on it. Okay, look, yeah, very handy. All right on to breakfast.
Speaker 3: Land, right, cafe breakfasts. This is probably something that Susie and I talk about a lot. I'm sure we've covered it on the podcast before. We have these conversations with clients all the time. But I basically say to my clients anytime you eat out at a cafe, unless you were literally just getting two poached eggshibit, a spinach and a piece of toast, most things off the breakfast or brunchmen, you were easily you know, six hundred to one thousand calories. Like we went to a brunch place the other day, Susie. They had it was like a fried chicken croissant. I can't remember what they called it, but it was literally like fried chicken on a croissant. And I was like wow. And then they also had deep fried like mars bar french toasts. I was like wow, Like it's honestly, some of the things were like dessert for breakfast. It was just crazy. And then when you think about breakfast, not only do most people get the meal, they'll get a gigantic smoothie, they'll have a big coffee or they'll have a second big coffee, and just forgetting that, it all adds up. And then if you go home for your normal lunch, you snacks in your normal dinner. That's how we can kind of blow out some of the calories for the day. So it's sort of trying to make some of those smarter choices, particularly when the goal is fat loss, or if you're going out. A lot of my clients say, oh, you know, I'm meeting a friend for say brunch or something. I'll say great, what time. They're like, oh, we're meeting at ten. I know that by the time they've got there, they've chit chatter, they've ordered up the menu, by the time the food comes, it's closer to eleven o'clock. So we can be quite smart and build them more of a brunch option where we can sort of absorb the breakfast and the lunch calories together. So if we're having a bit of a heavier meal for a brunch, it's not going to make that much of an impact from a fat loss perspective. But there are certainly better options on cafe menus and some not so great options on cafe menus. But the big one that trips up a lot of my clients, Susie is thinking that healthy equals fat loss, because I see so many clients and they go, no, no, I'm good, I don't need help with the menu. I'm just going to get the nourish bowl. And that to me, it's always like the vegan bowl or the nourish bowl. I'm always like, no, that's easily eight hundred calories, and that's cool if that's what you want to do, if that's a healthy choice for you, great, But the reality is that a lot of those nourish bowls, a lot of those vegan bowls, are very high calorie, even though they're filled with really good quality products. So and for most people trying to achieve fat loss, it's just far too many calories. So I think it's really important to be reading the ingredients on the menus, not just looking and saying, oh, it's a healthy noush bowl or oh, it's a vegetarian big breakfast, Because even though it might be a vegetarian big breakfast, by the time you add up two eggs, two bits of toasts, a massive slab of halloomi, some mushrooms, a hash brown, what else are they given? Like half an avocado that can again be eight hundred to one thousand calories. Is it vegetarian, yes, Is it healthy? Probably yes? Is it appropriate I fat loss? Probably no for the majority of people, unless you're living in a quite large body or you're like a super athlete. So I think it's just important to be wary of portion sizes and all the little extras that come in as well, because you know, how often do people say, oh, I'm going to have the avocado toast and then we're like, oh, it doesn't have protein. So they're like, cool, I'll out of side of bacon or I'll out of side of eggs to that. But the avocado's toast itself is like six seven hundred calories, and you're adding bacon onto it, then you've got an easy thousand calorie meals. So it's just I think important to break down the ingredients in some of these breakfast options. When the goal is fat lost, When the goal is just health and maintaining, it's not so much of an issue. But what I find that lately most cafes and breakfasts these days, even in Brisbane, are charging you know, twenty five dollars upwards. You go out with a friend, you might have two breakfasts and two coffees. That's easily fifty sixty dollars. So I feel like, because the prices have risen, cafes feel like they have to give more value, and I feel like the size of breakfast, particularly in cafes, it's just enormous these days like half of them I could probably share. I do like I don't get my kids meals. There only three and not even one and a half, so there are any little but David and I will get a breakfast each and we'll just split it with them because it's honestly so much food and the portion sizes are so huge that I just feel like, yeah, we just need to be really conscious of that because it can blow the budget quite easily.
Speaker 1: Well, what prompted me to bring this out was a gorgeous kind of mind who has actually lost a lot of weight.
Speaker 2: Set me this gorgeous breakfast picture this morning.
Speaker 1: I sent it to Lianne because it's absolutely studying look like art.
Speaker 2: So it's got read you.
Speaker 1: It's on the plate, there's like this sort of saute kale and spinach. Then it's got some mushrooms and it's got some sort of white cheese which is possibly fetter, maybe goats cheese. Then it's got some pickled vegetables mashed pumpkin, sweet potato, roasted beetroot, and two eggs on the top. There's also a sprinkle of nuts, pepeda seeds, and I think dooker. Now when I looked at it this morning. I almost had a heart attack. I was like, oh my god, that is enormous, Like she was showing me how healthy it was it I was thinking, oh my god, I reckon, that's at least six hundred, if not eight hundred calories.
Speaker 3: Mostly bench though it is, but like it's.
Speaker 1: Still I reckon that that's cream like pumpkin. It's cooked in heaps of oil. Like she had toast as well and a coffee scared, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, Oh my god. So that's why I thought we have to talk about cafe breakfast.
Speaker 1: Because generally speaking, I would say that a substantial plate.
Speaker 2: At a cafe is two meals, whether it is a big cookup like that, whether it's pancakes, whether it's.
Speaker 1: Bahad eggs, sort of all hot breakfast a site, they're basically two meals in calories. Like they're not three four hundred calories, they are like eight hundred even a thousand. So keep in mind they're adding often fat from the avocado and the cheese.
Speaker 2: If they're doing.
Speaker 1: Nuts and things as well, they're cooking all those things in oil. Like they are high calorie foods and sure healthy, but definitely most women listening, or we'll have to split a big cafe breakfast with a friend. Because, as Leanne described, because she said to me, what would you have ordered? And I said I would have had well, I said, I think it's beautiful. I probably I can see why you ordered it.
Speaker 2: It's nice. But it is two meals, like you won't need lunch.
Speaker 1: So if I was ordering something more calorie controller, i'd go two eggs, finished tomato, mushrooms and then maybe like Avo or Fetter. But keep in mind Avo they'll serve a half and you pay a lot for it, like you're talking about how muchly and the sides can be seven eight dollars each. If I take the boys to breakfast and we don't have a big meal, just say some coffees, they'll get a kid's meal. Chris and I might share something like eighty dollars. And that's not even indulgent, like it's so expensive, so you will get a big serve of Avo.
Speaker 2: It's massive. So yeah, just keep in mind if you are.
Speaker 1: Having that kind of indulgent breakfast at a gorgeous place, it is two serves, and you might be better just to share with a friend. But if you want to keep it calorie controlled. It's like two eggs, no bacon, fetter or a little bit of avocado, plain veggie side, So like mushroom, spinach, tomato, and then just one slice of toast with sour dough. It's not overly healthy. It's usually really thick and one single piece will be two breads at least, so you've really got to sort of cut it right down like that, or accept you're having a more indulgent meal. Go and enjoy it, but make sure it's two serves, or share with someone else, and yeah, just be mindful. Then things like pancakes and AVO toasts and as sydeballs and unfortunately not healthy. A sydeballs packful of sugar. Pancakes are packful of calves, and AVO toast is mostly fat with some sour dough. There's no protein there and usually way too much carves. So don't kid yourself that they're actually healthy. They're pretty indulgent meals, all right.
Speaker 3: Well to change, bring us onto these delicious mushroom chips that I found.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound delicious mushroom chips. I don't know. Can you put a better spit on it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I just want to get back to that segment really quickly and just say the most important message. What we're trying to say is that healthy can be different to fat loss. Like a lot of these options that we're talking about can be healthy. They can have nutritious.
Speaker 2: Choices, even weight control.
Speaker 3: Yes, but if your goal is weight control or fat loss, just.
Speaker 2: Even weight controller. We have to be clear.
Speaker 1: These are big meals. They're double meal size that you know. I think it's not specifically fat loss, it's just being healthy. Keep in mind that when you have a meal like that out similar to a restaurant meal, they're two meals, not one unless you do very healthy skimming it no bacon, you know.
Speaker 3: Or you're utilizing it as a brunch option. You're not having a breakfast and then going or having that then coming back for lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's just understanding the portions that work well for your body. And if that confuses you, it's probably time to touch base of the diet issue. You can actually run you through what sort of portions work really well for your body. But onto our market find of the wicket. Today, we've got these delicious I'm obsessed with these SUSI I think they're so good. I love mushrooms, but I've also got some clients that don't like mushrooms, like if I put mushrooms into their recipes, like I can't eat that. I'm not a mushroom person. But they love these, and I think it's the flavoring on them. They're so delicious. They're the dj and A Shataki mushroom crists, so they're lightly cooked and seasoned. They're basically mushroom chips essentially. They're so they're a good way to get in some extra veggies and the seasoning on them is so good. Even me, I ate them, and like, she's a normal nearly three year old toddler who's, you know, a bit picky with foods, as most are, And she was like, what's that, Mummy? Can I try? And then she was like ooh yum. Granted she was doing most of the licking of the seasoning, not too much of the eating the mushroom part of it, but it was good exposure for her overall. So these are generally in coals and wollwas in the health food section. They're also sold I think it's some costcos as well, and they are also available in a lot of like the online health food shops as well. They have a whole range. They've got mushroom chips, they've got broccoli ones, they've got beetroot ones. The beetroot ones are really nice too. And I believe if we've talked about that, there's like a protein at a Marmaie range. I think we did that many months ago as well. That's a really good one from a protein and a fiber perspective. It's really crunchy some of the lake greams they do, and they basically just you know, like they're roasted chips, which are pretty good. So they retail at these ones are at wools for six dollars for a sixty five gram pack, so it's a smaller pack and you are paying for I guess, a better quality product. And obviously it's a vegetable as well, so it's going to be far more expensive than what like a normal potato chip is. So it's one of those instances where you are paying for quality, you are paying for something that is a better option. And we do know that a lot of our listeners they like some of those better choices, so we thought we'd bring it to the potty today. Because we're both a big fan of it nutritionally but also taste wines as well. So a bag of them a serving size. Let me just double checks the nutrition label. There's two point two servings per bag, so serving size is about thirty grams, and that's that's quite a good amount because the mushrooms are actually quite big. So ingredient wise, it's seventy five percent shaittaki mushrooms with vegetable oil, maltose, sea salt, yeast extract, spices, and natural flavor. So it's essentially some mushrooms with some oil, some spices, and some herbs, and like I said that, the seasoning is actually quite delicious. And then per serving nutrition information panel wise, we've got five hundred and thirty killer jools, which is roughly about one hundred and twenty calories, one point eight grams of protein, six grams of fat, twelve point eight grams of carbohydrate, eight grams of dietary fiber. That's whopping, Like eight grams of dietary fiber is huge, and only one hundred and forty milligrams of sodium, which is actually quite low on a like a saltier tasting products, like you know, it's quite flavorsome the product, so I actually thought the sodium content was quite good. But the serving size is small at thirty grams, so but it's small but substantial. Like I thought that thirty grams was actually a nice little, you know, addition, and I sort of have a couple in the afternoon with a bit of a high protein yoga or maybe some cheese and crackers or something. So I just think these are a nice little way to add in some extra veggies. Have you tried the mushroom I know you're a fan of the other ranges of the veggie chips, but if you tried the mushroom ones, you're not a huge mushroom person, are you. Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't mind them if they're subtle and like cooked in butter like that's nice. No, I do use mushoes in cooking, like I'll always put it through my mints or I don't love them as much as you do. I probably wouldn't buy the mushroom chips, but I do think it's a great brand, and I think some they've got a whole range. They've got the brocoli ones and you know, we did I think was it the seeded mixes we did of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the protein, the atamamie, theamae.
Speaker 2: And the pe mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think that just different strokes for different folks. But I think that they do some really good products.
Speaker 2: You do pay for them.
Speaker 1: They're kind of that boutique range, so if you do see them on salored stuck up then but I think, yeah, they are certainly a healthier option and you're getting a lot more nutrition from them. And yeah, if you're a Marmee, your Marmae fan and love MUSHes like they're going to really give you that mouthfeel that the nutcho cheese cecs will without all the fat calories and MSG, so go for it.
Speaker 3: Amazing all right, And then our final listener question for the week, I'll round out the potty today, even though it's your potty, I'll take over. And this is a good one for summer. Is coconut water a good choice to keep as hydrated in summer? So we went through a coconut phase what many many years ago go where everybody was swearing blind by the coconut oil. We debunk that as a healthy choice. We know the best oil to have and what has the most researchers extraversion olive oil, particularly austrain if you can get it, just because it's better quality. But I don't mind coconut water, Like I do have a lot of clients, particularly those who might work outside, say as like a pe teacher or who has a very active job or maybe some sort of you know, labor intensive job. I don't mind coconut water. There's some good electrolytes in there. A lot of the brands are no added sugar. Yes, there's a bit of natural sugar in there, but I do think if you're using that from a hydration perspective, some sugar and some carb isn't a bad thing. Like I've had clients who are, you know, training for half marathons. They're out on a twenty k run on the weekend. That's not my thing, but they love it, and you know, they'll go for like the low sugar Power Aid or the low sugar Gatorade, and I say to them, no, you actually need the carb. You need the sugar because you're trying to not just rehydrate the body, but actually put some of the calories and some of the energy back in. Because if you're going for a two three hour run, your body can't store that much energy. You actually need to have a bit of a top up as you run. Your body only stores about an hour's worth of glucken. So I think coconut water can be a good hydrating option for those who are really heavy or salty sweaters, or even if you're just a bit sick of water, like sometimes like water is great, Like we were always going to advocate water first, but you know, sometimes people do just get that little bit bored of it. So I don't think that there's anything wrong with coconut water. I love freezing at a really good tip. When I had my first baby, Meal, she was a summer baby. Her birthday's December the twenty seventh, and obviously I was like labor all through summer. I was doing all the curb walking to try and get her out, and she'll still like five days over. It's horrible in summer. But my midwife said to me, why don't you freeze some coconut water in like little ice cube trays and just stuck on that through labor. Like she was like, that's a really good idea. A lot of women do that with summer babies, So freezing coconut water into ice cube trays can make a really refreshing addition to like a little bit of a mocktail, a little more like her fruity as summer drink, or if you made yourself a nice green smoothie, you could pour her a green juice, you could put some of the coconut ice cubes in there. I think that would be a really nice choice. So I'm a big fan of I don't have anything against it. I think it's a lower calorie version compared to a lot of other like smoothies and juices on the market, and you do get the additional benefits of some you know, some key nutrients as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not as big a fan as you are.
Speaker 1: I think that it's you know, I think for active people, sure, but I have a lot of people sort of adding it to smoothies and protein drinks, and it basically is sugar. Like, let's be very clear, you're adding sugar in like a serve. I'm having a look at how much it's up to sort of fifteen grams per serve. They do range in amount, So the lowest sugar variety I can find is the raw sea pure natural coconut water. So that one only has preserve seven point one grams of sugar, so it's still a bit over a table tea spoon, so equivalent, say with a juice, you're probably getting closer to twenty. So it's certainly a lighter choice, so I could see why you might urg towards it, But I think if you do use it to sort of flavor your smoothies, a little bit of your protein shakes in the summer, and you're not overly active, so you're really just using it for the sweetness. Really check the labels and go for the lowest one you can find, which the best of my knowledge is.
Speaker 2: The raw sea. So yeah, I'll often pull it out of.
Speaker 1: Smoothies and things because I would rather my clients get the sweetness from fruit, you know, if they're adding berries in there. But certainly right, you know, for active people, people who are doing hiking, who are lean fit, you know, it is a lighter version of juices and cordials and a better option there. So I think it sort of sits in the middle, But do be mindful that it does contain sugars in some cases added coconut cream too, so it's worth checking the labels and look for the lighter options. And in terms of electrolytes, we should say it's potassium. It's compared to like, I don't think is it magnesium too or just potassium. I think it's just a little bit, yeah, a little bit. It's not the same as an electrolyte drink. So it's not the same as gatorade or powerade. If you're a salty sweater, you really need to have that more concentrated electrolytes. And so for example, I've got some clients you hike. They use the formulations that you get through sort of bike shops and formulations like that. It's certainly not for someone who cramps. It's more in general hydration solution when it's potassium. In particular that coconut water is high.
Speaker 2: All right, LeAnn.
Speaker 1: Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch for another episode, And if you have not already, please check out our website designed by Dietitians, because we have just launched a whole range of new products there, including Creating specifically formulated for women. So it's really worth having a look, and you will also hear a new special episode dedicated to these new products. Creating is probably the buzzword in nutritional supplementation, particularly for Perry and postmenopausal women, and I believe that we are the first dieticians to bring out a specially formulated supplement for women with creatom So we're talking a lot more about that, but check it out, designed by dietitians, and we will see you next Wednesday for our regular episode Drops.
Speaker 2: Have a great weeks, catch you guys next week.