Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast past weep that line. Welcome back, guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows that you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are still a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode, I've been finding guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper to the shows that they're currently making, so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to some of the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast however you've found me. I really do love hearing your feedback, so if you can leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. On today's episode of TV Reload, I'm joined by Gareth Whitten, who was the winner of Dessertmasters Australia for twenty twenty three. The spin off from Mastership Australia finished a few weeks ago and I've been really looking forward to sharing this exciting look back at his time on the show. Gareth, as you may know, is a very well known chef with eighteen years worth of experience. After working in some of the world's best restaurants, he started baking cakes at home during Melbourne's COVID nineteen lockdown. Quickly, his neighbors and shortly the whole of Melbourne were lining up to taste his delicious goods, which soon evolved into the opening of two tuts and on locations, which landed him in a role as a guest judge on mastershef Australia in twenty twenty two and the opportunity to compete for the bragging rights of the dessert world in this latest televised competition. I will find out about his relationship with his fellow competitors and why he thinks keeping it simple at times helped him win the show. Gareth will also talk about the effects that COVID had on the cooking world and why he felt disillusioned by the whole industry. If you've ever wondered what kind of preparation and planning goes into these cooking shows, Gareth will also share what dishes he'd already locked in prior to filming the series. Plus, we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of Dessert Masters, which is still available to watch on Tenplay if you have missed any of those delicious episodes. Anyway, guys, let's bring Gareth into the podcast and I hope you enjoy this very exciting unpacking of the most exciting cooking show of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Min My hair literally just woke up.
Speaker 1: Hair. Yeah, no, that's totally fine. I mean, what do you do when you win Dessert Masters. I'm sure you've had some like a like a decastage of wine. Maybe.
Speaker 3: Well, we yeah, we have a few biers, some people around. We had a little bit of a viewing party at sort of like a friend's workspace. Things was really good, like a few big screen TV. Some catering was good and then yeah, a couple of drinks afterwards, and yeah, it's nice to spend it with some friends and family.
Speaker 1: I don't even know you, and I feel like I wish that I was invited to that.
Speaker 2: Ah, I wish i'd been beforehand.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations mate on winning Dessert Masters. This is wild.
Speaker 3: It is, it really is. I guess like kind of like semi prepared for this with the the half knowledge and what the.
Speaker 2: Result may be.
Speaker 3: I felt pretty confident coming out of the cook and then hearing a lot of reassurance from the guys who were watching from the gantry, et cetera, et cetera. Plus there's always a lot of that speculation really entirely sure is exactly how.
Speaker 2: It was going to pan out. So it was a nice surprise.
Speaker 1: There was a few people saying that you might have Stephen bradburied the thing because in a way, everyone else was making things a little bit more complicated to make it more sensationalized. Where you learned throughout the competition to really stay in your lane, and that's kind of how you ended up winning, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to downplay my efforts to say that word I did was manipulative or I flew under the radar.
Speaker 2: There was a bit of that, for sure.
Speaker 3: I played to my strengths, and I think that's the thing that you really kind of got to do. And especially when you're talking about like sticking to your guns and any Bowdie talked a lot about this because one thing I knew that he was hesitant to join the competition with was the fact that he's known for doing things that are wholesome and generous and bordering on rusty, especially in its appearance. But like the focus is so honed in on flavor and how things are to eat and what they mean, and that they're relevant at a particular time of a meal or a particular setting in which it served. And I think for me as well, like I definitely that's very much a part of my philosophy as a chef, is that it's relevance and its importance in a meal setting is paramount. Things are tasty, and I get like deliciousness and flavor and other thing that sort of stuff is like that should always be at the forefront of food, regardless of what it is you're doing. But having anything, but I do think that there was a certain thing like.
Speaker 2: And everyone did. Everyone really wanted to celebrate that on the show.
Speaker 3: But I kind of felt as though, especially in the public eye, so again like I'm not going to get another rabbit hole and and read Reddit, Twitter, Instagram.
Speaker 2: There's people going to have their opinions. Is always going to exist.
Speaker 1: You can't read any of those, mate, because you know, I didn't know that Reddit existed though. It was so wild, and you know, I was in a reality yeah, eleven years ago, and I was like, maybe I'll type in my name and don't. It's like the stuff that's on Reddit is obviously it's a different category to itself. It's it's like nice on Twitter. It's like they're trying to compete for what's the worst thing that I can say about?
Speaker 2: What? What did I do to you? What have I done people?
Speaker 1: I've worked out that they what they're saying online about people they don't know is actually what they think of themselves. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: Probably, Yeah, that sounds about right.
Speaker 3: I think you read it with that mindset, you make a lot more sense because like a lot of stuffy're saying is fucking nonsense, and a lot of it I think a lot of it comes from a place of passionate enthusiasm that sort of stuff, as well as like I think a lot of that of patriot that I'm always.
Speaker 2: Going to you know, probably a crew online comes.
Speaker 3: More from a place of who they like more so than subjectively disliking me. Except I said, I found one person who just really just did not they did not like me at all and I don't sort of like I'm only doing enough to scrape by, and I was like, I like. And the other thing as well, is like, yeah, they did try and pit me as the like the flavor guy, and I was like like thanks, Like that's nice because in that sense, you're just saying that my food is delicious, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: The value it well, it's kind of a different thing as well. Being on a TV show is different to sort of the reviews that you're going to get, like on a menu log. I'm so out of it, but do you know what I mean? Like when you're a restauranteur and you are needing to interact with the people to come into your restaurant, so you want to read that because there can be some constructive criticism. It's kind of a different sessialon do you know what I mean? Like it's different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't remember you eating this, but you know, thanks, like you know you know what I mean, Like that's sounds awful, Like well you didn't, how do you know I can eat it?
Speaker 2: Idiot? Oh?
Speaker 3: And like this I mean again like getting cut down because I didn't like in the in the semi final, I mean people, Yeah, they didn't know what to hate on, Like did I play it safe? Because I did a relatively conservative plate of dessert and I didn't make a bird cage or a bonds eye tree or a log. I didn't I didn't try and wow the judges with like to the I just made a tasty plate of food that I thought fit the brief really well. And I kind of thought I nailed it in that respect. I know also because they were like, oh, but the vegetables, like you're too many fells, Like you didn't eat this, it's a dessert, and like you know that in.
Speaker 1: Years to come, though, we'll have one of those not smell of smell of vision and taste vision, you know, one of those finals, you know, challenges where everyone you know you're cooking for so many people the TV screen or just hand out one of the one of the tarts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, like a Willy wonkle when the snowsbreeze tastes like you licked the wallpaper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just lick your TV screen.
Speaker 3: Then you might actually have a bit more of a a fair adjudication of what it is that you're talking about here, because a lot of it's madness, it is, but like fuck it. I mean, I guess I said, I've never trained in that thing as well, so like why would I? And I know that Generalman Jess and Reynold are not classically trained either, So the fact that they haven't done any kind of skilled work in those areas but are still achieving it, that's examply.
Speaker 2: I applaud them for that.
Speaker 3: But like I got nearly twenty years of restaurant training.
Speaker 2: Some of the restaurant food idiots, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like I want to win, and like if Kirstin Tibble's comes in and doesn't do any chocolate, Everyone's like, oh, what do you doing, Curson, where's the chocolate?
Speaker 2: You're the chocolate queen. It's like, oh, I really.
Speaker 3: Wanted to push myself and you know, make fucking Pavlo like no, but everyone loves her for that. But I do what I and Andy Body does what Andy Baddy does, and I do what I do.
Speaker 2: In Kaylene Tanner does what Kaileaene tan does. No one's yelling at Morgan telling them to do more donuts.
Speaker 1: What I was thinking throughout the competition where some people had been guest judges, So you'd been a guest judge and some people have been contestants. I wondered whether or not being a contestant previously was an advantage in some way, because you know, it was interesting to see the way in which the cookie crumbled throughout the series and who left and who stayed, and you know, you were a guest judge and you've got two other people that have been in the competition before. I just wanted to know your thoughts on that. Was it somewhat more of an advantage maybe if you've been a contestant before.
Speaker 3: I don't ever want to discredit what those guys achieved, but I think if you look at how they performed in those first couple of cooks, you kind of like, these guys they feel comfortable here. You know, they know the dynamics, they know what it means. Sure like you in the first couple of episodes of a Master Chef season, there's like thirty people and there's a lot less equipment in per person, there's a lot less space. But even just like the knowledge is sort of actually, I know that how the pantry is set up, I know how I need to go, and but the best. These are the tips and tricks, and it's the sort of thing that like we all work as chefs, so when we do all workers chess, it's the sort of things you need to learn, Like you need to get those of evolutions in you work in places and I've worked in places like Dinnerway Hessen, like learn where a lot of this shit that you do is the exact same every day. Like the number of tipsy cakes that I've seen, Like I can't even look at one now and not just get trauma. Like it's six years working with that restaurant group and it never came off the menu and it was the most popular dish, so like yeah, but every day that I went in there, I'm sort of like, I know how I can like get you know, ten minutes per tray faster on rolling briansh. I know the best time of day to make this brush because the temperature is going to be right, there's going to be less people in the kitchen, so I have a bit more freedom and space to work with. I know they're not going to need the bench at this time. So these are these little tiny things. It's a little bit kooky because you just literally the minor the most minor of details and how you can improve yourself, your product, your efficiency, and I guess, your life in general.
Speaker 2: Just by making small little tweaks.
Speaker 3: So having that knowledge in the Master Chef kitchen, I guess also would just serve as a slight advantage. And when we're getting to a competition of this caliber, you like, these are well for one of a better term there, they're just the smallest things that they over time will accrue and have big, big rewards.
Speaker 1: I mean, for me, I just was like, I couldn't. I was so surprised that they'd want to put people like yourself and Adriano and Kirsten. I just was so surprised that you'd all want to be in this competition because I'd be so because if it was me, I'd be scared that I'd ruin my you know, my credibility. But then there's also people that probably never watched Assert Masters that it wouldn't even affect them at all, do you know what I mean? Like that maybe if they googled you before they went to your restaurant, they'd be like, oh, I can't believe that you ktes on this show. Maybe I'll go, yeah, well.
Speaker 3: There was always that fear, I think, and no one wanted to be the first to go. And then that was I think a lot of us is all as long as the first to go that I'm good. But there was also like the sense of you know, the first people. You know, we knew that we had reputations at stake, and there was going to be a lot of that. And even then there were there was I mean, again, we're not going to delve too much onto into the online hate, but like, yeah, there's there's a lot of opinions being shared around people because of how they performed on the show, and their reputation was tarnished, like somewhat in the eyes of the insignificant. That would would probably you know, if it was relevant, like actually have an impact on them. But yeah, there was a lot of stake. You know, if I if I was if I was dismissed early or something like that, then you know it would have been.
Speaker 1: Like okay, therapy after that before you could go back.
Speaker 3: Probably I just hope that you just hope that it wouldn't have a negative impact on the business and like.
Speaker 2: The negative impact on your career following because they were changed.
Speaker 1: I mean, you would know that even from COVID, like the world be quite a dangerous place. Like you know, when COVID happened, I remember reading something about it as we were coming out of COVID, something that you'd said about you were out of the job and then you were redefining whether or not what you would do with your career. Am I right by saying that? I remember reading something somewhere where you were like, maybe, yeah, maybe I'll go and get a corporate job, which, yeh is mind blowing that something in the something can happen to us in this world that could change our mindset like that.
Speaker 3: I think it was, to be honest, it was more of like a slow burnout, and I was become so disillusioned by the industry. There was like I was exhausted, Like so, I mean, I've always had like a really strong friendship circle outside of the industry.
Speaker 2: My partner's not in the industry.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of hobbies and activities that usually best enjoyed in the hours that are not conducive to hospitality work.
Speaker 2: You know, I love live sport.
Speaker 3: I love to go watch the foot I used to play a lot of footy, like the weekends, the weekend things, last evening thing. It was like, and I always resented hospitality for that that it took that away from me, and I kind of took it for granted in the sense that like, yeah, of course, I'm part of this and it's my passion, it's my lives is with my skill set, and I'm doing it forever and I love it. But I just craved like that normality and I really just wanted to sort of have Friday night knockoffs, you know, with my mates. I wanted to sort of have those Saturday morning. I wanted to play footy, like play sport on the Saturday morning. I want to go go to the game on Saturday night. I want to have Sunday session, like get breakfasted on Sunday morning. And I just, you know, that old gone back to work Monday kind of feeling. I almost even wanted that, you know, and I never had it because of HOSPO, and I was torn between this like high performance, high achievement thing. And I even took a little break at one point in my career before I moved to Melbourne and worked at Dinner and did a bit of catering at the Comic Bank. It was like for a year or something of that, and I loved it. Like the work itself was draining and soul destroyings. I felt like I'm not getting that satisfaction through my work. But I was out of there at three o'clock every AVO. I had every weekend off, making good enough money to really enjoy that lifestyle. BONDI beach during the summer, just incredible, playing sport, engaging with friends who have not really seen for so long. So yeah, and then after dinner and then having all these awful, awful things happen to us, these wage scandals, these talks of abuse in the industry, like having whistleblowers calling out friends of mine for making up lies about their behavior just because they want to shine a light in the toxicity of the hospitality industry. Having like our practices and our behavior as management within like a very reputable restaurant that's run by passionate and determined and like so highly motivated people being shot on because of some entitlement of people who don't really see Italian hard work. Now I'm all across, and I'm all for like legalities and they paying for money owed of work. But it was it seemed like people were like putting their foot down and saying, like I deserve this. I deserve more because I've shown up, like I've come to work, so like this is what I'm owed and like, well that's true to a certain extent. And then we sort of imposed the hospitality industry awards. So this is getting maybe a little bit controversial here, but there was a lot of stuff that I thought was like, it's kind of unfair on people who want to be motivated and want to be driven in their careers because of what this was. And so anyway, I think at the end of the day, it all very much like kind of broke my spirit a little bit. So coming out of dinner by Heston, I just thought, well, I don't like I can't stand this and I don't see myself doing it. I thought this is a good opportunity for me to maybe start a new So yeah, I looked at working with some of the suppliers that I'd worked with all like an agency that we used to use to get our kitchen hands. It's like, what if I worked within the industry and tried to like, you know, engage in another aspect of it and like work with product instead of the service side, and yeah, dip my toes in there and like put the feelers out at least, and COVID happened and they all kind of went away, and then I just sort of did what I needed to do to get by and worked in the supermarket, started baking it home.
Speaker 1: It's kind of interesting though, because it's kind of like the superhero complex in a way. If you gave that all away, would you be fulfilled creatively? If you were to be going to the footy with your mates or you're just out having a drink with your mates. I guarantee you in ten years, knowing that you had that superpower, you would feel depleted.
Speaker 2: I think one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And no matter how much joy I would bring to people through like exploring new products or whatever, I feel that was always going to be a compromise. And it took only it was like a couple of months and I was just like what am I doing? I just I have to be cooking. I'd have to be And it seems so like like chef bro I'm not sure that's a concept that you're familiar with, but like these guys whose personalities are their job, you know, they go foraging on the weekends, they only go out to restaurants, you know, on their time off.
Speaker 2: That like, chefing is your life.
Speaker 3: And I feel like, oh, it's so nauseating, But then I go and do it and I was like back, like, yeah, this is actually me, but it is.
Speaker 1: That's why you've got that balance. You've acknowledged that yourself in the sense that you know your partner isn't. In the industry, you've obviously craved that balance, and we do that behind the scenes of our minds sometimes, you know, where where we make sure that sort of stuff happens to give us the balance that we know that we need. You know, I agree where if you were this arrogant chef, like some chefs have that reputation to be, and they're consumed by the industry, you know, it sort of overrides everything in that and in their lives, they don't have that balance that I guess we all crave to a certain extent.
Speaker 3: It's true, and I think that what I did that I'm grateful for now is that I decided just to pivot more so than actually give it up. And now working in production, working in retail, like we do the mony, we don't do the money a Friday, but we finished work in the afternoon. We have our nights off a bit antisocial in the sense that you know, I'll work most days of the weekend and I'm having to go to bed rest early because I've got you know, five thirty start. But you know, I think that in itself, we're it all pays off in the end because I've got the evening's back. I've got a young family now, so I see them every night. I spend time with my partner every day, which is always a plan. Like when I was working at Dinner and she was working at the hospital. She'd monaed a Friday nine to five, and I'd see her on Sunday and for a few hours on Saturday morning before I went to work. And it's not and Monday nights when she got home from work.
Speaker 1: For a man who loves coffee and tarts, like you know, you're programming yourself to work the hours that you want to work. You know, getting up early, you can't have a delicious coffee, do you know what I mean? I'll see you through the disastrous alarm clocks that we yes, yeah, yeah, working those sort of hours, I guess it's remissing me not to ask winning this competition, how do you think it's going to change your life? And how are you going to spend this hundred thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: I certain, No, I mean I think I know it will change my life somewhat. I don't know if this is really going to like catapop me into the public eye. I don't really know. It's so hard to see. I know the show, the show has had such great like it's been received so well, and I'm so grateful for that. We are hoping to use this as a ways to sort of, like you, launch our brand somewhat and actually get us into a into a new space where we're kind of like, I guess I'm using my own personality, in my own public status to promote the Tarts and not just let the business be its own promotional tool. It's going to be a bit of a different next few months. But I think what we're really hoping to do is just use this new energy, in this new excitement around around the success to actually launch ourselves into that space.
Speaker 1: How long have you had to think about all of this? So, I mean, did they film you winning when it was recorded? Or was there multiple endings recorded, Like, at what point did you find out that you'd want like if you had time to process.
Speaker 3: I found out I've been on the on the ride with everybody else, it's all been and that they have their ways, but we did. Yeah, it was not until last night, but actually, you know, it was one hundred percent confirmed when and I was actually was pretty grateful that I could actually share that moment with people and that I was just as Yeah, it was just.
Speaker 2: As much in the dark as everybody else, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Your mind must be spinning now, it.
Speaker 3: Is, And again like there was because we obviously we lived with the cook itself and there was so much uncertainty around what was happening. So but to know that I was in the top three, I think what what I did know was that like being then, the same way that I'm sure Reynold and Jess will also feel, is that we're now like going to We're now going to have so much more opportunity to sort of launch and to sort of like leverage our success off the back of being in that top three with so many eyes on us that regardless of the result last night, this was a great launch pad for us, and I guess the.
Speaker 2: Being coming out with top going has only made it that much sweeter.
Speaker 1: Did you try and plan anything before coming onto the show? Like I was wondering how much of the cooks did you know? We're going to be set for you? And then of course there's going to be if you make it to the end, you're going to have that service challenge. Had you planned those particular set dishes for that?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no no, there was like a there's a little bit of preparation that we get, but it's very little. They really do want, I think, and what they did say to us that we don't want Jeopardy, we don't want drama, which you're also going to take with a pinch of salt because it's TV and that's that cells we know that.
Speaker 1: It's going out on a date and saying that you don't want to get late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Like, come on, guys, let's be honest, you know what are we here looking for?
Speaker 2: Friendship? Yeah? Really?
Speaker 3: When in reality we all knew that was going to be the the result eventually.
Speaker 1: You know what I was also thinking, you know, off the back of you saying what you could do with your profile? It was interesting. While I was watching the show with Melissa and Amory, I was thinking, don't you love how I say his name with my Australian accent, like come.
Speaker 3: Oh, Amor I'm not going to do it because I know I don't do it, I won't do it well and all that's going to I mean, if I'm going to get scrutinized by the French, I may as well do it.
Speaker 2: And you know, on my my own.
Speaker 1: Right, melissaly On does it so well that it now scares everyone out. I know, good lord, if.
Speaker 2: You can saund like that, you set the barhid.
Speaker 1: Mail every single time, every single time. But I did think watching this show, I wonder whether or not being a judge on a cooking show like this has now become of interest to you. I think that there will be more media interest in what it is that you do. Could you see yourself hosting a show like this?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I think, I mean, look I could.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I want that to be my profile, because I still I really just I.
Speaker 2: Love what I'm doing right now. I love my business. I love working his other band, Creative.
Speaker 3: I love I'm still you know, and this is not going to come as a surprise, I'm sure, but I'm still on the tools four to five days a week. I'm actually going to go in there later and do some prep with the guys because we're busy and lots of new stuff coming in and like if I'm not in there, you know, cooking with them, Like you know, I think I've handed over some of the more logistical running of the actual kitchen to a very competent team. So I'm in there just sort of like you know, I'll run a few dishes through the potwash, I'll sheet the dough, or i'll aligne tartshells and that sort of stuff. So there's still a lot of hands on work and I want to stay with that, but you know, opportunities will come up. I think everything needs to take into consideration judging a show like that. I think anyone who knows me personally might not think that's the best things suited to me in that I have some very like strong opinions about things, and there's a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: I actually think we're heading towards more of that, though. I think, you know, i'd love to see it for a time we see on television, and you know, being in the public eye that you know, people are so two dimensional. We're actually like, if you want to engage with audiences more, if you want audiences to engage I think you kind of need to polarize them in a way. I think we're going to need to offer them. We're going to need to offer audiences more to digest and sometimes that means putting yourself on the line.
Speaker 3: And I agree one undercent and I think, and I'll use I'll reference that one of my favorite TV shows for this in that I don't think we see enough of it. But America is a country that is known for like lifting up and heralding the successes of others. They just love this promotional stuff. They really want to get behind their people. It's uplifting. It's very American. You know, if you say that you're engaged whatever, the whole audience will chair. It's not very much ingrain as the Australian culture, but it's slowly creeping in. But my favorite, one of my favorite shows, Top Shit, which is an amazing watch. They're fucking brutal and they are cut through. Like these days they kind of like soften a little bit. But the earliest seasons they were just like they were to the point they were like, why are you doing this? Like like I would send you all home if I could, that kind of stuff, And I think, like, you want to see more of it. You have Padna who's very like lifting and beautiful, Tom Fleecko man, he's brutal because he's honest, and I think people want to see more of that, and I'd love to see more of that. And it was one of the things I really really really respected Amory Melfall is that you could tell, like you could tell one hundred percent that every single thing that they were saying in all of that judging came from their heart. Was sort of like this, like there's no agenda, we're not we're not trying to curate character arcs. There's none of this, there's no you know, no, there are no favorites. You know, there's no one here who's whose successes are being promoted ahead of others to suit the Channel ten's plan.
Speaker 2: They were sort of like, where here to judge some food?
Speaker 3: And then he came in and they were so meticulous on that, and I was not only grateful but also just so respectful of them for that.
Speaker 1: It's wild to me that you know, we kind of know that the key to connecting to audiences is authenticity and being honest and being real, but yet as time goes on, we sort of cookie kutter. Anyway, this is a much different podcast, But I appreciate, I appreciate where you're coming from, and I agree, I really do everyone who joins the podcast, though I finish off with asking them a question, what is something from behind the scenes, kind of like a behind the scenes secret of what it was like to be on Dessert Masters.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, actually behind there was a lot, like there was a lot just a lot of carrying on. Like I was saying before you, the one thing that I've always loved about hospital in general was that there was this semileance of personality that you could bring in. And I remember when I was doing a few interviews and chatting with like, you know, recruiters or key account managers and that sort of stuff, Like when I had this sort of midlife coarter life criss with what I want to call it, and I was seen in these interviews and it was so stuffy and formal and like the banter was just off. When I've had interviews for jobs like on a milk crate in next to a bin. I'm sort of like, do you want the job, mate? Do you think you can do it? I'm like, yeah, I sear, I can give me a chance, coach, you know. And like there was this sort of organicness that's so like raw about HOSPO. And despite how passionate and motivated and driven we are as individuals, we're kind of like a bunch of kids, and you took all of us out of our comfort zone. You take us away from our businesses where we need to be respectful, respectable leaders, role models, professionals, and you lump us all in together. It's like a fucking zoo and the carrying on and just like the general shenanigans, like at the end of the week after IVS were like where we're off to, you know, we're in the green room, Like there's a white board full of requests and everyone's just like riding out junk food and we're sitting around just like inhaling these like little packets of the veggie straws and stuff. To the point now that our group chat is just so center around every single time you see I want to see the veggie straws to take a photo, put it in the group chat. You know, just the band turned that like the forming of those friendships, because there's this cabin feverish and that's something that is so inherent in hospitality culture that as soon as you put you know, these stoughts in the industrym together, it was kind of like adding sourdo started to the theme, just going just grow, just growing from there. And yeah, but we would go, we got we had gelato runs on the Friday nights.
Speaker 1: We'd He was saying that he was like, oh my god, in his as M three scoops of ice cream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Adriana three scoops three.
Speaker 2: On the Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he've been obviously being up in Noosa like he's you know, he's got some good ice cream.
Speaker 2: Up there, like it's part of the culture.
Speaker 3: But like we're blessed in Melbourne picked Alina Cory, you know, there's Carrat and all the Messinas. You know, you can poke a fucking stick at Peter Pipo, Luther's scoops like some of these iconic like ice cream jokes around Melbourne, and he was just like, ah, this is incredible, and so we would.
Speaker 2: Kayleen lives up in whittle.
Speaker 3: See, so she's got a bit of a drive, so she'd always have a car there, and so she'd come in, we'd all like crammed to the back seat and just sort of like all like squished into like shoulders shoulder, and there's like five business tinl hatchbags driving around, you know, dotting about all the sorbet Gelado shops of Melbourne together, which is was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, money can't buy it, you know, and what an amake, you know, and it'll stay with you for the rest of your life, you know. I just I really appreciated the chat with you. I think that you want to offer and it was quite exciting to unpack this show with you because I think when people are listening to this, they'll hear your passion and I think people connect. That's the currency, you know, people's passion for what it is that they do. So yeah, for sure, thank you for taking the time.
Speaker 2: No, thank you. I really enjoyed it.