Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week Airline. Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight at our television industry and streaming services today. On the podcast, I have Natalie Bassingthwaye, who is one of the biggest all rounders when it comes to the arts. You would know her songs, seen her acting, bought her clothes, maybe even sat in her theater shows, but I doubt you've ever seen her like in her latest project on ABC Space twenty two. This show features seven Australians taking on specially designed workshops to see if that will improve their mental health struggles. Creativity help your well being is the question at hand. The show spans across ten days of creativity, to which it's creators call art on Prescription. It's an emotional ride and I will advise you to pack some tissues, but I swear you'll walk away from this show with a new perspective on mental health care. Maybe, like me, you will learn a few new things about yourself. Now we'll talk Jack, a Little Pill, her Neighbor's return, Rogue Traders, and this year's winter blockbuster Elvis directed by mister baz Lerman. However, let's get started with today's episode. I'd like to welcome Nat Bass to TV.
Speaker 2: Reload lots of different things going on in this show.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I do when I first meet people is ask them do you do anything creatively?
Speaker 2: You have to watch it to believe it.
Speaker 3: Over ten days, seven Australians from all walks of life will take part in a specially designed art workshop.
Speaker 2: At the core of it, it's a fly on the wall doopum entry to.
Speaker 3: Test whether immersing themselves in creativity can improve their mental well being.
Speaker 2: I had to literally walk away. I went into the room and I fell to the ground. Welcome to Space twenty two. I've kind of taken this mental ill health journey and it's part of me like it is part of me.
Speaker 1: Hi, Natalie, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great? How are you. You look cute.
Speaker 1: I really haven't done that much to get dressed up for you.
Speaker 2: This is my podcast here, it's cute. I like it. You know.
Speaker 1: You start the show Space twenty two with an admission that I think will shock even the closest of friends and your fans, and that is your own admission of mental health struggle.
Speaker 2: I would have like six showers a day and kind of sit on the ground and put myself in the fetal position. I didn't know it was my mind. I just I didn't know what was happening.
Speaker 1: How hard was that to speak about that part of your own story publicly?
Speaker 2: Well? So funny because I think because I've lived with it for so long, it feels weird that no one knows about it, you know what I mean. I'm like, what do you mean? No one knows? And I didn't necessarily think officially planned to talk about I felt fine to talk about it, and I have so in the last sort of five years. But I think when I was asked to do the show, I did it because I felt comfortable now talking about it, and I started to get sick and tired of everyone pretending that life is so great and I'm amazing and how beautiful am I look at all these amazing things I own, and you know, social media is just like this. Ah. You know. I just was like, I'm over it, and so it wasn't actually that hard to talk about it in the end. Like I think five years ago, I was really nervous about saying it out loud because of the fear of what people would think of me, you know, that I wasn't strong enough, or what's wrong with you? Or just the stigma like would they employ me? Like maybe I wouldn't even employed because I'm two bonkers, But yeah, I have realized that I am a bit bonkers and that's what makes me me, and so I've kind of taken this mental ill health journey and it's part of me, like it is part of me. So I will always work on being a better person, and I'll always work on calming myself down when it's all too much. And I'm in a really good space right now. So I felt like going into a show like that was exciting for me because I was like, Wow, I had a few very close people go through similar things to what I had been through, and I was like, uh uh, You'll be fine. They're like, no, I can't. I just know you're gonna be fine. I'm telling you I've been exactly where you were. And then when they started their medication, it can be terrifying because it really feels. I mean, I've had friends who they don't feel anything when they're gone, and some friends who feel really like fragile. I felt really it was I didn't like it, and I was like, whoa, is this how I'm going to feel because this isn't working. But then when you go on it, it's just balancing out all the things in your brain. Once it plataued, I was like, oh my god, I feel like me. So that was really strange. So I think that I felt really comfortable talking about it, and I clearly do now, like jeez, like spilling it all out to the world.
Speaker 1: Well, it's beautiful, Nat, because you know when you I mean, we're both in our forties now, but you know, isn't it funny that we can now talk about this sort of stuff And you know, when you're younger, you don't feel like you can share certain things because I think for me, we often feel like we can't talk about our feelings because we tell ourselves you know what I feel doesn't matter, or that other people have it harder. You know, what was your inner saboteur saying to you, like what was happening inside your head that stopped you from talking publicly about this?
Speaker 2: I genuinely thought that. I mean, no one talked about it when I first went through it, you know, like it was not a thing like I didn't even know what was going on me. I was like, what's going on? Like I was twenty something, early twenties. I honestly didn't know what it was. So it wasn't even like I was sabotaging myself back then. I just didn't know what was wrong with me. I thought like I felt isolated and alone and scared and frightened, and you know, through therapy at first, then medication, and then constantly looking at myself over the years, the sub Yeah, I don't know if I ever sab that. I don't know if that that was in my head. It was just more a fear of what people would think of me, you know, and that I might not get a job again. And now I just think that's kind of crazy, because I'm like, well, why not, Like I'm a great person, I'm a kind person. My husband doesn't think I'm funny, but I think it's really funny.
Speaker 1: No, you are funny. That's one of my favorite things about you is that you're funny because you take the pairs like you don't take yourself too seriously. You know, you're kind of one of those delicious friends. It's like, come here and I'm going to tell you the crazy stuff about myself, which I love about you, you know, in your own words. How do you explain the concept of space twenty two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Space twenty two takes seven very very different Australians from all walks of life, going through quite different things, but they have that kind of connection that they've all been through or are still going through their own mental health struggles and like I'm talking from PTSD to you know, childhood traumas to suicidal tendencies, like some pretty heavy stuff, and they've all been through their own things over the course of their lives and we're trying to see through. The Black Dog Institute is also like monitoring their emotions and everything from the get go to the end and just to see what happens, but to see where the art and creativity can have a place in their mental you know well, being like whether it can help heal old wounds or whether it can help now and in the future, so that they can take these tools with them and be able to use them in their everyday life. And also the other thing I loved about it is that outside of this, we're hoping that people will take something themselves that they can use into their own lives. So there's lots of different things going on in this show, but at the core of it, it's a fly on the wall documentary. It's very powerful, it's very raw and real. You'll definitely need some tissues, but you'll feel your heart will just be like, oh, you know, like it's a very very special show.
Speaker 4: My brother's name is Jack and he was twenty five when he died. He was returning from a trip to Europe in twenty fourteen. He was on flight MPG seventeen when it was it was shot down. So yeah, that his death just changed my life completely and permanent.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: For me, there was some of oginal discomfort that I felt at the start of watching the show, which I think is normal because that can be when you feel seen, you know, or this is cutting too close to your own backstory. You know, I've got my own backstory with depression and anxiety. I hope when people first come across this that they feel like that that's perfectly normal, that's sort of the that's you to the content, yeah, and that they're not alone.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like I want people to go, wow, that is me or I know or so not only for themselves, but even for their family members that have never experienced what this feels like. And you know how it's so hard to explain. I'm like, it's kind of like you're in a vortex and like everyone's negative and like you can't be positive. I'm like, I know how it feels, but just word it doesn't really sometimes make sense. And so I hope family members and friends can watch and go, oh wow, I didn't know that that's how you felt or that's what you were going through, and this is how I can support you as well.
Speaker 1: I thought was What was strange was that I watched it in I watched the first five episodes in one block, and I obviously, you know, had the luxury and the time that I set aside to do that. But I started writing stuff down after watching the show, and I started unnothing things about myself, and I was like, you know, the symptoms of my depression and anxiety, the stuff that's really visible to other people are actually really ugly about myself, you know, drinking or lying or being unreliable. So you know, it's quite frightening that I repel people at times when I really need them the most.
Speaker 2: I didn't see that from you. I don't know what you're talking about. You're such a lovely human like I don't. I'm looking at going, what is this just your like devil on your back that thinks that because I don't think that.
Speaker 1: I think we're all so hard on ourselves, aren't we?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: That is what happens to me is that at my worst stages of my own struggle, it is usually have these really gross things about myself. But what was beautiful about this show was allowing me to understand that about myself, which I felt was this amazing healing. It's almost like when you think if we thought about growing up and we'd never talked about this, the idea that something on television like this could be so visceral and so helpful is like three D television, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, oh you just gave me goosies. I agree like it. It's so profound, Like everyone's like, what do they get out of it? I'm like, you just you have to watch it to believe it. Like I was in the space, I was like looking at Ray when he came in and he didn't want to cut you know, give me a hard which is fine, but being very shut off and very like, oh no, I don't kind of do that, and then who are you? Ray? At the end, I just kept going, what is going on? I can't even deal with how I mean. For those who don't know, Ray is the sixty six year old retiree who has a very like scientist like that's just how he works. He does not into all this Artivardi fairies down See, he wasn't on board, but he wanted to try something because he's tried everything, Like he's tried every therapist, he's tried groups, he's tried medication for days and like just nothing had worked for him. Like he one of the things that he says killed me, like it hurts so much, And he said, you know, I wake up in the morning sometimes and I'm a bit bummed that I'm still alive. I'm like what the hell, how can anyone say that about themselves? Like, and this is how low he was, you know, and just to see through togetherness, through play, through stuff that he'd never tried before. He literally came to life, like he just came to life.
Speaker 1: You know. And those interactions between you and all the participants is so raw at times, and knowing you and the way you connect with people like I've been I've been lucky to watch that over decades. The way you connect to people is really wholeheartedly, you know. And I was wondering, you know, was it really hard and was this the hardest project to work on, because it would have because it takes so much out of you.
Speaker 2: You know. The weird thing was is that after the first day or and my husband and said, oh my god, I've just found my purpose, Like this is what all of this has meant, you know, Like everything I've been through is meant that this is why I was supposed to have gone through all that is for this moment. I loved it so much. But there was a point where, you know, in my own mental health journey in the last few years, had that breakdown a few years ago. It was horrific terrifying all the things that came out of it, and I released things that no longer served me. I closed down businesses. I just had to, like it was all too much, you know. It was just like trying to be all the things, and I just released Release, Release, moved to Byron Bay, like got rid of the city life and all of that. And I feel like Nazi on a train of thought. Okay, So I said to myself, I can't do so much at once, Like I really need to be mindful of taking on too much. So I said, I'm never working like this again. And I planned to do that, but during the filming of the show, I was also rehearsing for Jag a Little Pill, which wasn't supposed to happen, but because COVID everything overlapped, and then all of a sudden, I was doing two and you've seen the show. It is heavy and very emotional but beautiful and like, oh, you know, so I literally was filming this show in the mornings from six to four and then going into rehearse I was broken, and because I'm very empathetic, I would go in and I'd be with you know, all the crew on Space twenty two and like feeling all their stuff and their pains, and then going in at night and feeling my character's pain. I was like one day I was I became one of the participants because I got to do one of the artworks, and then I was just like I had to literally walk away. I went into the room and I fell to the ground and I was hysterically crying. And it was a moment that I again hadn't had for a long time, like this isn't me anymore. I don't do this anymore. But I did the thing that I said that I wouldn't do again, Like I took on too much. It was emotionally too much for me to take and physically mentally emotionally, Yeah, so happened again. There's that little thing oral in it's ugly head, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like damn, but now that's so you like you've always been like that, and you know, you'd be like I'm singing and I've got an album out, but I'm also doing this brand new acting role and I'm playing this person or you know, I'm and then you're also always trying to do a lot for the people around you, which I also think can be just as exhausting as a really good job is you know for you being a mother, being a you know, a wife. You know, you've got all these other things on top of you. And I will say, Jack a little Pill. I saw it four times so quick playing that show times.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that.
Speaker 1: But it was so hard to think because I know the way in which you do your acting is because I've read about it and I've heard you talk about it. Is you know, you're going through the motions with this, with these characters, and that character you're playing on Jago Little Pill has this trajectory that is so quotent.
Speaker 2: It was, but at the same time it was so therapeutic, you know. I think sometimes when we have mental ill health things some of them are childhood trauma, some are other people's things, Like this is what I'm learning about ancestry, some ancestral trauma. I'm like, dude, what you know, Like, I'm learning so much about our brain and the neuroplasticity of what we can achieve if we you know, they say repetition, and like if you do something for twenty eight days that you can we can literally we we rewire our brains, you know, Like I just I find all of that fascinating. So I did, you know, go through Jagged as well, and just when I'm just going to go in there and be this person, come out the other end and show everyone that that's possible too. It's therapeutic, it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, this program is such a great initiative by the ABC, and you know, my hat is so off to them. How did you find yourself involved with Space twenty two?
Speaker 2: I got the email. My manager sent me this email saying there's a probe this program. Are you interested? And when I read it, I was like, oh my gosh, I have to do this show, Like it just all made sense. And then I said, yep, yep, I'm in, and she goes, oh, no, it's not an offer. They just want it off. You're interested. I was like, what, Like, no, I have to do this show, you know, And so much so that when then I did an interview with them, and I was pushing hard, like guys, like, this is I'm supposed to be this person. I've never done that in my life, but so much so that because of COVID, Jagged got pushed back and then got pushed forward, and I almost had to choose whether to do this or Jagged, and I you know, Jagged has been alight like a lan it like to go to New York and to you know, work with the American creators beyond you know, in Broadway like all of that, go to the chiny Wards or do Space twenty two. And I was like, I think I have to do Space twenty two. Like that's where my heart was saying. I think that's what I need to do right now. And anyway the stars aligned somehow it or work together and I did both but at the same time, which wasn't you know again, let's not do that much? Wait at the same time ever again watch this space? Are we talking to you? In a few years you'll be like, and I did it again.
Speaker 1: You will be by that stage writing a musical and staring at it or like stop a Rocketman version of Natalie Bassingthwaite's life. Still no, but still, you know, I think it's the right time, in the right place. And I think for you, you know, this kind of a job has manifested itself because it would be so hard to find someone do what you do throughout the process of this show, and you would need to be vulnerable, you would need to be able to understand it, and then the empathy that needs to come with surrounding yourself with people who you know are a little damaged as well. There's a lot to juggle. What sort of input did you have though, Were you allowed to work with the creators of the show and say what about this?
Speaker 2: Like I didn't, you know? Like I just went in there. Initially I was just host. I was like, what do you want me to be? And I knew I wanted to be a part of it because I was interested in the psychology behind it and also tools for me and everyone else I know and all the people that are going through hard places. And it ended up being me sharing me more. And I guess because I feel, you know, I'm quite an empathetic person, then I'm feeling everyone else.
Speaker 1: Was it rewarding though, to know that you were adding to such an important conversation that hasn't been anything much like this on Telly before.
Speaker 2: I still feel like I'm reaping the rewards, Like I've spoken to so many people about this show, and the overwhelming response has been so beautiful and moving because everyone is either going through something or know someone who's going through something. You know, like I had a friend commit suicide and it was horrific, and I don't want to see that happen to anyone anymore. It shouldn't be happening anymore. It's not okay, and it is okay to not be okay, but for people to take you know, that far, it's it's we need more support and we need more facilitators for one of a better word, Like there's one thing that happened throughout the course of filming, was you know, because it's a fly on the wall documentary, I think you saw that Neil had a panic attack at one point, and then I think, you know, Tracy was having a panic attack, and they could get therapy in the moment, Like, no one who can do that? You have to wait six months to get in and then it's seven million dollars. You know, it's too expensive. You don't get the help when you need it. There's no like, where is the support? So I'm hoping that the show and it was one of them the biggest dreams of creator and who was like, I really, you know, want to tell this story, but I and find out this information, but I also want to give people at home the tools to be able to use like in the moment, and that doesn't cost like the world. You don't have to wait for that therapist, and sometimes you need the therapist and the medication and the tool, you know, like it's not we're also not going this is, you know, a prescription to not have medication. It's like each to their own. I still take medication. Tried to get off it didn't really work, but I also still I don't just rely on that. I still have to do all the things to be okay. I have to do them otherwise I'm not okay.
Speaker 1: But I think this sort of prescription of using creativity is just a part of something that can help the mechanics of getting to being better. And I think that's the discovery of this show is seeing how that is actually making an effect. And I think you know from you, you know, like things have happened to you in your life to give you the skill set to be exactly where you are right now, and that that's why you're on the show. And we hate to think of it like that. I mean, I lost my father's suicide and I and I spent so long that wow with that trying to work out where to place it in my life and now it's it's come back to be able to help me with other people, you know. And so while things can be really hard with wearing our scars, you know, and we're able to help others, which I think is important.
Speaker 2: A lot of them, the participants said the same thing. You know, they're hoping to do something like this to shine a light on it so that people. None of us want anyone to feel alone. I feel like that they don't have anyone. I'm really lucky. I've got a great family, I've got you know, great friends. Not everyone has that, you know, they don't have that. And what do you do if you don't have that? Where do you go to? So this program, you know, this experiment, this experience will like I know it's going to change people. I just know it in my heart. Like I said, I was like, would I that? Or should have go to New York to the Tonys and work with Diane paul As. I was like, I think I want to do Space twenty two? Like that's weird. What happened. She's nearly forty seven, that's what happened. She's good, mature, but you know.
Speaker 1: So with that American accent, can I just say it's so stressed with any of my friends who are actors doing accents and your accent and Jack a little pill is so good, Like it's so good, it's so amaz anyway, you know, unlike a lot of people, you've been killing it for over two decades. You know, who are those people you know that have been your biggest champions. Who's there to help you along the way to do all of that?
Speaker 2: Well, someone who's no longer with us was like he was my manager, Mark Burne. He was with me from the beginning for sixteen years, sixteen of those, you know, almost two decades, and he was like a mentor, a brother. I mean, if he wasn't gay, we'd probably be lovers, you know, like he he just we just together. We were like, oh like that, you know, and we could make anything happen, and we were always excited and we had each other's backs. And the next phase of my falling apart was around his death because it was so sudden and trying to come to terms with that and then covering it up with other stuff and burying it and then it needing to come out, and that's when the breakdown happened. Right, So all that's that's that kind of full picture story. So him, definitely. I mean I have the most beautiful friends and the most beautiful family. Like my best friend Todd and I went to school when we were five, Like we talk almost daily. You know who I'm talking about. He is like my biggest fan. He's been there from day dot. You know, he was Peter Pan. I was Tinkerbell in that year five production still to this day. And yeah, I mean, I have gorgeous, gorgeous people in my life that I'm so grateful for all the time.
Speaker 1: I think it's I mean, it's the laws of attraction, Nat, I think you've attracted people like that. I had the privilege to hang out with you and Todd the other day, and it's so funny because no matter what has happened, you guys are still kind of very young at that and it was fun, I.
Speaker 2: Know, so playful, like we are very childlike and hopefully will always maintain that even when we're mellow fifteen.
Speaker 1: Just don't tell people because you both don't really look at anyway. I was going to say what has been because I can think of what they would be, But what is your biggest achievement? Like what do you think has been a project you've worked on that is something that still stays in your mind. You think, God, I can't believe I managed to pull.
Speaker 2: That off so professionally. Then professionally, oh my god, I don't know, like I just I mean one of the first first job was getting Rent the Musical and there were like six thousand people auditioned. Todd actually came back from New York and said, I've just seen this show, so you have to audition for Maureen. This is you. And I went along with every you know, every man and his dog at the auditions. I lined up at can Sellers, went out there. I mean, I think the audition was about seven months and like in Australia and New Zealand, twenty two people got in it. Like that was pretty mind blowing because that was like the first thing. But it also showcased to me that, you know, I had auditioned for so many things before and I just got no, no, no, And I was like, what's wrong with me?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: You know? But really I didn't put the effort in. I was just like I just wanted a job and I thought it'd be cool to be in musical theater. Because they did all the things that I loved, singing, dancing, and acting, but he didn't really love the shows. I just wanted a job, and whereas this one, I was like, I love this show, Like I have to do this show. So there was like a whole new drive and a direction of like I researched who the director was, who the producers were, what they were looking for, like who got passed, why they got cut everything. So it's it really set me off on a new, you know, way, or a new path to go. You don't just go. I mean there's two trains of thought. You can just go for everything and hope you get something, or go for everything because you get better anyway. But I'm like, I only really want to go for it if I really want it, or if I really want it, I mean I'll really go for it, you know, Like it's just that's it for me. I'm like, give it everything you've got. But also if you don't get it, then you can't fall to pieces, because shit happens.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine that there's ever been what's a job? I mean, you're just about to work with work with Aslaman, You're like, what's the job that you've gone for, that you've never that you didn't get, like come on, look, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So many. I remember actually when I was in LA and I was auditioning. It's just for a job for like CSI or something, And I went into the room and this is the funniest thing. I'm like, we're supposed to be actors anyway. There were like one hundred girls that had long blonde hair that looked like me. I was like, what is this? Like, we're not are we cut out? So we barbied it. Look like what is this? Aren't we actors? It's like, no, you can only come if you blonde, because we only want to blonde. I'm like, I can dye my hair, i can wear a wig. Like I was just like, what the hell is this process? Yeap didn't get that one. To be honest, didn't really mind because I was just so like, it was so bizarre at how the whole thing worked. What didn't intrigue me at all?
Speaker 1: Well, Jack a Little Pill, as we said, well I was talking about before. It's my favorite musical of alls all time. Saw four times in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Swallow What a jagged little pit?
Speaker 1: If you so swimming in your stomach wait on to Was that just say.
Speaker 2: You love you?
Speaker 4: Cry culoru?
Speaker 1: What was it like that seeing the words of Alanis Morrissett. What was Was it a surreal moment to breathe, you know, life into the lyrics and ideas of someone that you had admired for so long.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, one hundred percent. And also I felt he is my hippie lala world. But empathetically or spiritually, I felt connected to people who have passed, people who are present, people who were in the crowd, like I feel when I'm performing that material on that stage, not only connected to Alanas, but connected to humans in these moments of trauma, and it like it can be traumatic. At first, I was like, oh my gosh, I don't think I could do this for very long. Like I would wake up feeling a little abused, like in like the most like genuinely I was like, oh my gosh, I feel you know, overwhelmingly exhausted on a whole other world, on whole other level. So and it took me a bit to kind of get through not feeling so not taking what I was performing on stage home with me and being able to go okay, you know, like I'm still exhausted when I do the show, Like I'm going back to do the show in Sydney because I'm excited, but I can deal with it better. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: I'm scared for you because I feel like I know what you went through all the time to do that show, and then now you've had the break. It must be kind of a little bit sickening to know that you've been pulled back into it again. I mean obviously no, I mean, did Alanis teach you anything herself? We were able to get any advice? I mean, what have you been able to take away the most from this process so far?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately not with Alanis. I wish, like, how incredible would that be? Apparently she's touring and slowly this year though, so that would be pretty wild. I've taken on what have I taken on with this role, Like I've taken on human behavior and human connection and human trauma and hopefully it heals people. You know it also from people listening, they're like, wow, this is intense. I never want to watch the show, but it is so incredibly moving at the end, and you're like, oh, you know, like there's this rush of like the responses that we were getting from, Like, so this is what happens. Do you ever get this, like when you start and you can't talk. I feel like I empathize with other people who can't speak up about their truth. Oh she's so spiritual now she's lived at Byron. Anyway, so many people come backstage and tell us like things that they've been through and that how much it's helped them by watching this show as well. And look, yes it's exhausting, but I think the rewards outweigh the exhaustion. And I am going to go into the next part of the season not doing the full eight shows because I have two kids, I live in Byron. It's just it's not workable or manageable for me to do the whole thing. But I will be doing like selected dates so that my body be so traumatized and my family will be a little bit more together.
Speaker 1: Well, from the audience perspective, I reckon watching that show. I reckon. I sound so Australian, I reckon, Yeah, But it was I saw it like the first when it opened, and then I watched it in other states of like having a few wines. It was weird. There was one time that I watched it with no alcohol, and it was the weirdest natural rush because you're right, we were talking about it in a really hectic state. But the release that you got being a part of that audience, it's kind of reminds you of my live theater is so important because somehow that show is so all inclusive, like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's the connection of everybody, you know, like everybody again a bit like Space twenty two. Everyone is connected. You have someone you know who's been through blah blah blah my mom, you know, like you can just kick going my mom, my dad, my sister, and my brother, my auntie and my uncle's oh my friend, like you just like that's why people saw it like it was so bizarre, were like this is like you. Four times I had someone say I keep this my twelfth time. I'm like, what do you mean. We've only been here for twelve weeks, You've come once a week. Like it just affected people in such a profound way. And yeah, I actually I just feel I just felt like quite joyous because I was like, Yay, this is like the new me. There's Jagged and there's s Wace twenty two and yeah, yeah I can support love and nurture.
Speaker 1: So two questions before you go, because I'll be murdered by the Natalie Bassingthwaite fandom, that's okay. Ask because I put something on social media so people like I want to know, is there ever going to Can we ever expect to get more Rogue Traders music? Because I know there's a huge demand for it.
Speaker 2: You're like, yes, just do it. So where do we performing at the Early Beach Music Festival at the end of the year, first gig in like three years. So holy moly, watched this space that's going to be wild. James actually sent usd this kind of remix of one of the tunes he did the other day and it was really good. We were all all of us were vibing. I mean, this year is pretty booked out. I don't know if I have a spam minute and I can't get back to that falling in a ball on the floor in a crying heap. So maybe next year.
Speaker 1: Good to know. And the other one is everyone now knows that you're going to be a part of Neighbors as it wraps up with such an iconic role. Oh I just easy, Hoyland, what what a piece of work a piece of work.
Speaker 2: Oh, show is such a pose. Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Did you get a chance to see Kylie as Charlene at all? Throughout your time working on the show.
Speaker 2: They had to film their stuff because you got to get Kylie. When you can get Kylie, you got to get Jason when you can get Jason. Right, So I remember when it was like it's definitely ending. I direct message Jason. I'm like, are you going to get because we did Chicago together, and I was like, are you gonna go back on the show. I think I'm on the show. Are you going to do it? I think I'm going to do it. He's like, I really want to do it, but I don't know if I'm going to be in Australia, you know, And we're having all these blah blah blah to each other. And then when he did it, I was like, yeah, yeah. Now like I'm like, I'm doing it too. But I haven't even got the last week's script, so I don't know what happens in the very end yet, right, but they've obviously pre recorded something, They're already done their bit. So I start on Monday. I'm very excited. I've got two weeks worth of filming and I still don't know what the third week, what happens. I kind of roughly know, but like it is it is crahhzy, Like I don't even know how, Like how do they write this stuff?
Speaker 1: So you've read the first two scripts two weeks of scripts? Yeah, okay, great. I'm imagining Ezzy Hoyland can go two ways because like she could also she could be good and she could be bad, but she could be like who is that in Melrow's place that bombed the apartment building? You know, like anything, it is possible, Anything is possible. Before you go from the podcast something I ask everyone who joins the show, what is something from behind the scenes that we won't see from the making of Space twenty two that is like a story to share from your experience.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean this is probably not a fun story. Well okay, hold on, let me make it a fun story. Okay. I was on Zoom on Sunday night with like most of the participants and we were like laughing about what they've been up to and like how they're feeling about the launch. And Tracy, her daughter, she's from Newcastle, so I'm like, I'm from the gong. You're from newe We're kind of the same. She had all the participants up to her house and they were riding bikes and she was telling us this. This is this is probably not a fun story. Okay, I'm still gonna tell it because I mean it was okay. Anyway, she goes telling Stirr and they're riding bikes and she went back and she got her bike and she's trying to do something with the chain and then she does gives me the bird, right she goes and then look, and I thought she did one of those things where you know, they do this and they have one of those pretend finger things. She chopped her finger off when they were all together. I'm like, you did not, that's pretend and she's like, no, it got stuck in the bike chain. I'm like, wait what you know? So not a fun story. But she was hysterically laughing on Sunday. I'm like, this is a joke, right, it's a pretend one of those finger things, and she's like no, no, no, like it fell off. I tried to cover it up because I didn't want Ray and Vivian to see it. And then next thing, you know, Vivian sees the tip of my finger in the bike chain and then gets it out is kind of feeling really nauseous. They take her to the hospital. They can't sew it back on. I mean, not a funny story, but right now, it's hilarious. When she gives you the bird and it's like this, you know, it's not.
Speaker 1: The full bird, it's not.
Speaker 2: A full bird.
Speaker 1: Well i'm you know, I'm not the story that I was expecting. They're not the story that I was expecting. But it's still very funny. It is still very funny to us, I know, because we've still got all of our fingers. Na, the show is amazing. I hope Australia gets on board and watches it. But there's so much we can all take away from it, and I am so proud of you to have taken part in something that is so visceral and can help so many people.
Speaker 2: So thank you, Thanks beautiful, So good to see your shining face.