Speaker 1: I'm always always said be careful.
Speaker 2: Love those umboo.
Speaker 3: Let it well, use your head.
Speaker 1: They will tear you lack a purple talk.
Speaker 4: Oh no no, no, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah yeah, oh no no no.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Amanda and I'm Romby.
Speaker 5: Welcome to It's Laying.
Speaker 4: We're in a long distance friendship that started over twenty years ago when we were in high school.
Speaker 5: We'll be talking about all things life, love, family, anything and everything else under the sun.
Speaker 4: Delve deeper with us because in life, you know, Jine Layers.
Speaker 6: No no, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah no no.
Speaker 4: Hello everyone, and welcome to another episode of its Laired Special Edition. And today we're so so excited.
Speaker 3: We have a special guest in the building. We have Kai here with us.
Speaker 1: Welcome Kai, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, we're so excited. But before we get into all things dell all the way deeper with you, we just wanted to let the people know a little bit about Kai. Who is Kai and what's she all about. In the short time since Kai formally introduced herself to the world, she's already one over audiences with her celebratory, absolutely celebratory, sun soaked sound that effortlessly bridges pop and R and B, keeping joy and freedom at the forefront with shining rhythmic deliveries championing her undeniable songwriter and vocal talent. Zimbabweent born what Up London Raised now noms Slash, Melbourne based Kai's relationship with music blossomed as a young child growing up in the UK.
Speaker 5: In between vivid memories spent singing through sickness and health, gospel songs which all Zimbabwians can relate to, talent shows, girl bands and more, have voice flourished with each deep embrace of her identity. Deeply informed by her experience as a young black woman experiencing life through a predominantly white societal lens, which this podcast completely gets. Kai finds herself today, confident, strong and humble, ready to share her mantra of embracing openness and finding joy in it with the world. Welcome to his lad podcast, Kai, I'm so excitedly here and to talk to you guys. A bio that sounds so cool, cool.
Speaker 4: Cool, honestly, like we'll get into all that, but yeah, I would be so grateful that you could be here and after such an amazing bio. How would you describe yourself Kai, Like, like, in a few words and a sentence and a paragraph, how would you know someone said, who's kind?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would probably say Kai is like a multi genre.
Speaker 1: Artist based in Nam Zimbabwe born. Yeah. I don't know. It's so hard to you know when someone says, you know, tell me about yourself and you go.
Speaker 3: Exactly window.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, definitely a multi genre artist. Yeah, sort of making pop, R and B dance music with just a focus on fun and joy and enjoyment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: We've spoken a lot about being a third culture kid, you know, balancing all the cultures we come from. How do you think being born in Zimbabwe, raised in the UK, and now based in malvin has shaped your musical journey.
Speaker 6: I think all of the different cultures and you know, different versions of my upbringing is kind of the reason why I'm such a multi genre artist. I think, you know, when you've lived in all these different places and you've had to adapt a whole bunch of times, and you know, meet new people and be in different environments, you know, it makes you such I guess, like a hybrid person, and I think that makes my music sound like that because that's what my personality is like I'm just you know, a combination of all the places I've been and all the things that I've learned and the people I've met. So yeah, I think it heavily informs my music because I don't really make one sound that can be put into.
Speaker 1: You know, one box. Yes, and that's just how I am as a personality.
Speaker 4: So yeah, absolutely, and I love that multifacetedness. I think so often we are denied of that. You're allowed to be all these things, right, It's like, oh, if you're gonna identify as this, you're only this, or if you're can to identify as that, you're only that. And you know, it's beautiful when we can embrace all of that.
Speaker 6: So yeah, when it took me, even like a while in my musical journey to you know, even identify as Zimbabwean born, I think that was such a big turning point for me because I was like, actually, that does inform my music. And maybe it means that I don't make afrobeats and I don't make zimbabwe music, but I can still identify with saying, oh, this is my culture, this is where I was born, and these are the ways that it influences my music. Without having to make a specific type of music. I think, especially in Western media, there is such a you know, a preconception about the music that Africans make and the art that Africans make, so immediately when you say, oh, I'm from Zimbabwe, they're like, okay, give us the Zimbabwe music. Yeah. I think there was even a push and pull there of being like, actually, no, let me introduce my culture into this. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, speaking of culture, how did your close family and friends support you in becoming a musician.
Speaker 3: What was that journey like for you when you decided.
Speaker 1: I think there was a lot of fear at the beginning.
Speaker 6: I think you know, you probably would understand, you know, coming from Zim and like my parents having moved us from Zim and we've moved to different places around the world. For them, you know, everything was very much about how do we, you know, keep our family sustained, how do we go and find a job that's going to keep us pushing through? And for them it was all about like how do we survive and take care of these kids? And then I think for us kids, we've gone okay, well, now I've got this whole world full of opportunities, and I want to do something a bit weird and your parents.
Speaker 1: Wait, what, you're a doctor or a lawyer about it?
Speaker 6: So yeah, I think, you know, they get you through school, they get you educated, and I went off to UNI and I was pre met for a couple of years, and then I decided I didn't want to do it.
Speaker 5: So now.
Speaker 3: Exactly that was.
Speaker 6: An uphill battle for a while, and you know, mom and dad didn't really get it, you know, until the music started coming out and you know, things started happening.
Speaker 1: But they've always been supportive.
Speaker 6: They've always you know, they've always known that I loved music and I love singing, and they always wanted me to do it. But it was just that thing of like, we don't know anything about the music industry or how people release songs or how people get a record deal, and you know, how are you going to make money? How are you going to survive? So I think, yeah, it was it was a big conversation. But they are the most supportive parents in the world now, Like they just they back everything I do. They support me, They come to every show like they're the best.
Speaker 3: We love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we heard you on your bossing song when you speak a few bars or like yeah, you know, they sound lovely to be seen, And I think you're so right. It's our parents always operate from a place of fear because for them, they were probably the first generation to really experience quote unquote material success. So to them, they're like, it can be taken away. You have to have security, security, security, And then with the generation after that, like we're secure now now.
Speaker 1: What you know? Now we dream?
Speaker 5: Yeah, now we dream right now, we can do those other things that you wanted us to do. Deep down, this is what you were doing it for. But I think this is so hard for them to fathom. How do you yourself keep yourself motivated as a young black woman experiencing life through a predominantly white lens.
Speaker 1: As you said in your bio.
Speaker 6: I think like, as much as it is difficult, it's also really exciting. I think, you know, there's a there's that feeling of pushing the envelope and pushing that glass ceiling further and further up, and knowing that the more that I push in, the harder I work, the easier it's going to be for you know, the next young black girls who are making music, you know in white Australia, I think by the time I've gone and done it, you know, the next batch that's coming up, it's just going to be you know, a much easier, a much easier journey for them. So there's always that in the back of my mind. But I think it's also just exciting feeling like, oh, you know, we're actually going to push some barriers here, and we're going to see what it looks like to see change actively happen. Then it's frustrating some days, and it's hard some days, but other days you get those big wins and you actually really get to go, yes, I did that, and I get to claim that, and I get to say, you know, I get to put my heritage and my culture at the forefront, and.
Speaker 1: You know, let the white people watch me do it.
Speaker 3: And enjoy you while you do that as well. Enjoy it while you do that.
Speaker 4: Because I think that there's something really special. As much as there's pushback sometimes on culture or difference, I think there's something that draws people to you know, be like wow, like that's something that's different to me, and so on and so forth. So I think it's really inspiring what you're doing. And we wanted to know who inspires you music like your your your journey, your sound and all that, if he could.
Speaker 3: Share with us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's always so hard to pinpoint musical influences because I think it just expands and changes every day. But my parents brought me up on a lot of like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston and Shaka Khan and you know, all of those great great artists from that time. So R and B and soul music and like great pop music has always been something I had around me, So I think, yeah, my early songwriting was definitely like, oh, you know, I know this Michael Jackson song because I know it's got this hook. So I've got to write songs that have got hooks. So I think, yeah, the early influences is that. And then yeah, just as I've gotten older, just discovering more and more artists that I love. I'm a big Beyonce fan. It's embarrassing, you tell us twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I have.
Speaker 6: An embarrassing love for Beyonce and just her work and her career been really inspiring to watch. And then you know, just some of the newer R and B stuff that's coming out Scissor and you know, all this kind of artists Kailani who sort of make that alternative R and B and I think it was really cool listening to that music when people weren't really across it yet. And now if you say Scissor, everyone knows who Scissor is. But if you said Sissa five six years ago, people will be like, I don't know, I've not heard of that artist before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think not so much.
Speaker 6: Sonically, I think, you know, I don't really make super R and B music anymore, but I think yeah, definitely career wise, and watching you know, other black young artists sort of come up from the underground and really place themselves in the mainstream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has definitely been a big influence. I mean speaking on that.
Speaker 5: You know, we always talk about things we want to see or places you want to be And for you musically, who do you think you would love to collaborate with?
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean number one Beyonce.
Speaker 6: I say it for every every interview if I asked the question, I always say it because I know that if I say it enough times, it'll happen.
Speaker 5: So yeah, watching this beyond is internet that absolutely, there's there's so many Honestly, if there wasn't Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I mean Ed Sheeran.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I think Ed Sheeran is one of the greatest pop songwriters, like in the world right now, Ed Sheeran, Max Martin. Yeah, a lot of amazing pop songwriters out there, So yeah, but number one Beyonce.
Speaker 3: Queen?
Speaker 1: You heard that, Queen?
Speaker 4: Which would you say? I think people often say it's hard to choose. It's like choosing which is your favorite child. But what do you enjoy more? The songwriting aspect or being a vocalist because your vocals are quite like, you know, like really impressive, just the way able to scale and you know, listening to some of your covers like it's just really really inspiring. So which which side of it do you enjoy more? The songwriting or the vocals performing?
Speaker 3: I don't know anyone.
Speaker 1: It is hard. It is like being your favorite child.
Speaker 6: I think lately it's been like vocals the actual I think like artistry behind vocals has been a big thing for me. I think in my previous records, I think a lot of people who know me or have heard me sing have been like, oh, you don't really sing on your records, which is really interesting because they're right I don't really have to work hard vocally on some of the records I've put out. A lot of the new music is like vocal, like vocally heavy, like really I've had to get really into the nitty gritty of like my singing and really use my vocals for the stuff that's coming out later. So I've been really in that space at the moment, just really working on vocal arranging and I mean getting better.
Speaker 1: As a vocalist to I teach vocals.
Speaker 6: I have about fifty students, yeah, so that's been like a big part of the process. I've been teaching for about a year and a half. Yeah, so it's been really really interesting to get into the mechanics of my voice.
Speaker 1: So that's been really fun.
Speaker 6: But it's amazing gear up, Yeah, as we gear up to go back on tour. I'm so excited to get back on stage because I think that is my my happy place being.
Speaker 3: On That's amazing. That's amazing.
Speaker 4: And would there be anyone that you would love to songwrite with for collaborate with on a songwriting scale, because we talk about the honest song overall, but like anyone you'd love to write with. I know you mentioned ed Sharan, Is there anyone else there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, honestly, I would love I would love for Edge Shearing to write me a song. But yeah, at the moment, I think my my focus has been collaborating with people who are really different to me and make really different music to me. Like I just did a couple of sessions with an Australian artist named Jeef Flip and their music couldn't be any more different to what I make, And the music that we made was really really cool and really opened up a new space for me. So I think, yeah, without sort of pinpointing any names, I think there's so many artists that I would love to work with who are just in a completely different genre to me.
Speaker 1: So I think that's yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: The beautiful you know, it's so interesting to talk about how your voice. I think we forget their voices are instruments. I remember when we were like in music school in high school and they'll be like, oh, you can do music, and then people will be expecting you to play an instrument, and some people would just sing a compeller and it's like, well, yeah, that is an instrument. So it's beautiful that you're even teaching music and using our voices. It's such a I don't know, it's such a I guess, underrated part of music. It's funny we know you're a singer, but then we always the production and we forget that you're vocalist first. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's really true. It's really true.
Speaker 6: I think even as I've gotten back to being more of an instrumentalist because I do play, I think even getting back to that and being like, oh, I have to give as much practice and time to singing as I have to give to guitar or piano or so yeah, how technical it all is. So yeah, the voice is such an interesting instrument because it's so personal. You know, if you play the wrong note on the piano or you hit the wrong drum, it's like oops. But if you see a wrong note, it's so deeply, like personally reflective.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 6: Very exposing. So yeah, no, it's been it's been fun to dig into.
Speaker 5: It's so funny you say that because we grew up in the era of like Christina Anguilera, and I remember on one of her studio sessions she had like the lights dimmed and everything was just because she's like, I just want people to focus on my voice and not like what I look like. And it's just so interesting because just one for you. Well, I mean we've just been the same studio, so we feel like we've really.
Speaker 1: Hang out with you. We recorded our.
Speaker 5: Special at the Base Studios as well in South Melbourne.
Speaker 1: What do you think you enjoy most about being in the studio?
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, so you would have seen the bass, which is great for context because it's such like a It depends on how you light it, I think, but it's such like a movie and it's just like the atmosphere of it is just very intimate, I think. So I really like to get into intimate space when I'm recording because it really does affect it. It affects the way that you're seeing and perform. I can't do it with bright lights on. My voice sounds completely different under bright lights than it does, you know, in a dark space, which is so funny.
Speaker 1: It's so weird.
Speaker 6: But yeah, however it affects your brain is just how the sound comes out, which is yeah, really funny.
Speaker 1: But I love recording at the Base.
Speaker 6: It's been my home now for a while and my first sort of music that came out as Kai was all recorded at the base that I haven't recorded anywhere else since. So, yeah, it's just my little musical home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had We had a great time recording there and just as you said, the energy is just really really great. You shared a little so you like the more sort of dimmed side of things when it comes to recording. Can you share a bit about your creative process, because you know what I always wonder about the songwriters or the singers, you know, especially if you have a hands on approach to make creating your music and seeing it through from the start to the finish.
Speaker 3: What does that look like?
Speaker 4: Because I think sometimes as regular humans we can't fathom, like, so, where does the song come from?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, yeahs, what does that create a process look like for you?
Speaker 3: Or does it differ change? Like do you have like a.
Speaker 6: Systems chop and change around? But I think that question you asked before, where does the song come from? Is is a really interesting question and something that I've been I think grappling with probably for the last few years, because I think my best songs that I've ever written feel like they fall out of the sky, Like it doesn't feel like I write them. It feels like they just happened to me and then I happen to just be there at the right time and place. So yeah, I think my favorite songs I've written them driving and they just happen all like linearly or in the shower, and the whole song happens. And the last song that I wrote that I really loved, I felt like was the best song I've ever written. I had heard two chords on her guitar and it just happened. People in the room are like, what just happened there? Like you just heard the sound and then you know, the.
Speaker 1: Christians and Zimbabwe be like, it's like exactly, yeah, and.
Speaker 6: You know they said, oh, it's like you just reached up in the air and just grabbed it. And so I think that's something I've been just trying to I think I'll never understand that's actual.
Speaker 4: There's something, there's something really when they I've been reading different things and.
Speaker 3: Oh, specifically Power of Now.
Speaker 4: I've been reading Guys and things like that and talks about flow and when you're in flow and it's almost like an element. That's why consciousness is so important, because you're not in your head, you're just in flow. With whatever you believe, whatever the universe whoever is talking to you, and then that's where it just comes to you. And it really shows that you really are in contact with your flow and and and kind of moving in that. So that's really beautiful. So guys, there's no like secrets. I'm sure there are recipes.
Speaker 7: Just like I just like, but it just it just comes as well.
Speaker 6: I think like flow is really important. But I think even like flow within yourself, I can't write as I don't feel good like if I don't take care of myself, if I'm not like on my absolute one hundred percent in terms of like am I being healthy? Am I exercising? Am I reading? Am I surrounding myself with people who make me happy? Am I having a good time? In general?
Speaker 1: In life?
Speaker 6: I can't be creative because I think, you know, being creative out of negativity is just not it's not me, Like I just feel like, I, yeah, I just can't go into that space. I can't get into that place where I guess I can receive. But yeah, I think being on that wave for a while now of just being like how do I actually make myself feel better? Has been Yeah, has been just an unlocking point for songwriting and being creative and yeah, just opening up my artistry in general.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love that for you, We love that beautiful.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think self care is such a thing that people it's almost got to the point where it's become luxury, right, People always think self care, Oh, you have to go to SPA, you have to those things.
Speaker 1: Definitely got a space you all love a bad day.
Speaker 5: But like, I think what you're saying, like, even on the day to day, checking in with yourself is so important. And I think that's the lovely thing about your music. It's just so fun, Like it's too joyful. Yeah, you cannot listen to it and not be in a good mood at the end of it. And I think it's such a special talent that you have that you bring that out, you know, even if you don't know the lyrics, you're.
Speaker 1: Like, like, you know, it's just like step So I'm not love it.
Speaker 5: When I saw your shows, you know, I was like, oh my gosh. People are really responding to that energy. And I think, especially in this world there's so much going on, it's nice to have to spark on those moments of just pure joy and fun but how does it feel for you performing your songs live?
Speaker 1: Oh? So fun, so much fun.
Speaker 6: I think even before writing the Ribena EP, a big thing was how do I make it so that when I'm performing, the whole thing is fun, you know? And I think there is a place for sad songs. There's definitely a place for more serious topic songs, and a lot of other artists do that and they you know, they fill that space, and I'll eventually do that as I'm moving to my album. But I think if there is an underlying feeling of actually, even if it is a sad song, I still want you to be able to find your joy in there, because you know, sadness doesn't negate joy. So I think just finding that feeling of.
Speaker 5: Right there that's not can make us take a lot.
Speaker 1: R carry on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I think, you know, wanting to engage with that part of your audience and being like I want you to feel joy is Yeah, it just makes performing incredible because it's no longer about you. It's not you know, Oh, I'm on this stage and I want you to look at me and look at all the things I do and listen to my voice. It's like, oh, let's let's have an experience to get that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, beautiful and speaking of sadness, does not have, does not negate joy.
Speaker 3: Now this is gonna be a Quotable's gonna be out here, okay in the streets.
Speaker 4: But you know, your your song Tuesday, I think speaks that because.
Speaker 3: It's not really a happy song. Am that right?
Speaker 4: And then the way I understood it because sometimes you must understand the song. But I guess not really a happy song, but you made it joyful. I watched the music when I was like, oh my gosh, it's and then I was like, but the if you listen.
Speaker 3: Clearly it's not.
Speaker 4: So I think that epitomizes so perfectly what you just said. It's like you can you can cry in you know, in a on a bed of flowers and you know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I think that.
Speaker 4: Juxtaposition was so beautifully done.
Speaker 3: So I yes, so creative.
Speaker 4: Any advice that you have for upcoming artists or those who want to work in the music industry, because as you said, I think historically, especially in Zimbabwe. Fun fact, I wrote a song at sixteen, I even recorded it.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be an artist.
Speaker 4: Then my parents were like not going to happen and I listened and you know, Cela VI. But any advice for as you said, you're trying to carve a way for the younger generation, so.
Speaker 3: It's a little easier.
Speaker 4: It feels a bit more normalized for them to see themselves doing the things that were not.
Speaker 3: Easy to do.
Speaker 4: You know why we had to push against the grain as you did. Any advice or thoughts for them, just.
Speaker 6: That authenticity is everything. I think if you do everything from an authentic place, then you know, whether it's in the business side of music or whether it's in the creative process, you'll always have the outcome that you're proud of. I think it's really easy to lose yourself in, you know, an industry that's like this, so that's all about entertainment and it's all about being in front of people. It's really really easy to just become a version of yourself and not just truly yourself. So I think really sticking to being your authentic self is what's going to make you happy at the end of the day and what's actually going to bring you success because nobody can be as you as you, and that's what's going to be different on the market too, So I think just yeah, being absolutely you to a fault is the way to go. And I think just injecting your personality into everything that you do as well, making music that actually connects to you and not just you know, singing songs on a piece of paper, actually having a personal and real connection to your art. Yeah, I think just being real, if I had to sum that up, is just being real.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, no one can be you, nobody can be more than you. Bars another one.
Speaker 5: Another, one another, one another, one another one. You know.
Speaker 1: What I love about gen Z? I feel like you guys.
Speaker 5: Just do it like yeah, And there's a lot of conversation around gen Z and obviously we're not gen Z else, But what do you think with the dialogue around millennials and gen Z? Do you think millillions can take anything from gen Z? And is there anything you would take from millennials or.
Speaker 6: Is it just like I think it's so it's so funny because like I know, I'm technically what they call a cuspa because I'm not quite gen Z, but I'm not quite a millennial either, And I grew up with all the stuff that like, you know, millennials grew up with but I'm too young to be like a millennial millennials. I'm a cusper, so I've got a bit of book. So I think there's things to learn from both. I think gen Z has really gotten I think like emotional openness and vulnerability. Having that included in like the mainstream conversation is something that I've noticed from gen Z that is massive, Like people are really talking about their feelings, which when I was in high school, that was not a thing. We didn't do that. So I think that's been really cool and really important. And I think gen Z does have that whole thing where you can be, you know, an individual and you can be really authentic. But I think that millennials also have this like realism that's like, yeah, we can be all of these, but we need a functional way to do it because we've seen what happens when the big dreaming boomers dream away and dream the future away, so.
Speaker 3: We suffer thanks to them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you got that realness. I think if you brought that all in together, then yeah, you get a really wonderful mix for a society.
Speaker 1: But we'll see how we go. Gen Z is getting.
Speaker 5: I think for me, it's just a it's a social media stuff for me, Yeah, I cannot and I commend you like your reels are so fun Yeah, like you get to know.
Speaker 3: I feel like I know you, like I feel like, oh yeah doing a thing you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: I think for our generation, when I cannot be doing that, you.
Speaker 4: Know, no one should see me like it's so funny, like the difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's great.
Speaker 4: I love the call out to all everyone saying when are you getting back to your what real song writing? Or seriously, yeah, that was too funny.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And even when you're looking for the clip from Wendy Wendy and you're like, there's a thing called legal, I was like, yeah, it was too funny the whole song, and then forget about the legal part of it, Like it's just and everyone just giving you recommendations.
Speaker 1: That's the beautiful aspect.
Speaker 5: I guess that we it's a community and you're definitely in touch with your community, which is a beautiful thing to see. I think sometimes, especially being from Zimbabwe, we use social media to perform, to show off too, and we forget that there's people receiving and those people need that interaction and yeah, of course it gets overwhelming, but there's definitely space where it's like you're not just coming on here to show off, you here to really connect.
Speaker 1: There's intent behind it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think working with like artists that are bigger than me, like when I first started in music and was doing like a lot of backing vocal stuff, seeing their fan bases, because some of them are crazy, Like working with Rule, like his fan base is one of the most insane fan bases I've ever encountered. Like they are just so loyal and like attached, but like attached to each other as well, Like they've really become this really like glued community. So you'd end up on your Instagram and you go into your request folder and you see that it's like groups of girls who have met each other at concerts or met each other online and then added you into the group to be like we need to get information from her about this, we need to get her to talk to us. But there were girls who were from totally different parts of the world and they were best friends in this chat and they would come in and they would tell each other about their day and like their struggles and like I've stayed in the requests, like they've stayed in the request folder. But I've read those groups for years, like they are still friends, like they've been since they were like twelve, and now they're nineteen and they're still on there talking to each other and it's like, wow, you know, there's one thing community together. So I think community is like invaluable. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: That's beautiful. Your sound on you know, your hit songs like Barson and Rubena, Rabina Rabina. Guys, I'm not Australian, I don't know what Boson and Rabina definitely gave me emptv select vibes like re rewind by Artful Dodger and also a bit of like Craig David filled me in you.
Speaker 5: Know that very she's a casta in the music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you're talking about being a Casper, I was like, ah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: What drew you to that?
Speaker 4: Because it felt so nostalgic for me listening to it as I'm a full on Millennire.
Speaker 3: I can't even deny it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that really gave me like that vibe, but like obviously you really you breathed a new life into it. It was so it's so great to see just how you did that, Yeah, so tell me about that. I can, you know, go on, but tell me about your thoughts.
Speaker 6: So that's like, that's that's what's really nostalgic for me, that sound, because that would have been around like two thousand, two thousand and one, and that's when I moved to the UK as a kid, so like those were the first sort of songs that I was listening to in the car with my parents, like driving around.
Speaker 5: So what was that on top of the pop of the yeah one like.
Speaker 6: Radio, yeah, like all of those radio stations. And it actually like I had a full circle moment last year because I got to go and talk about bossing on Kiss and I was like, oh, I would have heard you know, Daniel Beddingfield and Craig Davis kiss when I was a kid, So then to have my own, you know, two step song that's being played on Kiss, I was like just mind blowing. But yeah, that's a really nostalgic like era for me, and a really nostalgic sound and a lot of that like Ripop is a big influence on me as well, like Sugar Babes and.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be doing the rest of the day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I had a recent like rewind of like even Spice Girls and like, I don't know all these girls.
Speaker 3: Were in their.
Speaker 6: Song you know, the Superstar by Jamilla. Yeah, yeah, that sound is really like my childhood. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that's what I love about TikTok as well, because all those sounds come back like, yeah, someone to do it, real about it, remember that song and then the researcher and I think even some songs are coming back on the chats that are like yeah, yeah it's crazy, Yeah it's crazy.
Speaker 3: So thank you for that.
Speaker 4: It was It was really really lovely to hear that in juxtaposition with like our saying Tuesday and sometimes, which I love how you did that, especially the end of that video, just like the kind of sadness means like hysteria like you, because you're like combined hysterically laughing with like this pain you're going through.
Speaker 3: I just love.
Speaker 4: How your your interpretation of all these emotions and songs is so uniquely yours. And then the fashions, I mean a man can talk a bit more about the fashions in your music videos and you know, so just really love as you're saying, how you're multi hyphened and you're multifaceted, and how it all comes together, it's it's done really well.
Speaker 6: So thank you, thank you, thanks for noticing the fashion I'm a fashion girl, the right place.
Speaker 3: You came to the right.
Speaker 5: Any upcoming projects we should start looking out for. I know you've been teasing us on the socials. Yeah, I have.
Speaker 6: I do have a song coming out. It's coming out on feb twenty first, so yeah, I haven't actually announced the date yet, but we're getting really close. We're less than three weeks out. So we've got a song coming out. It's called now Come on Now. I've been teasing it on my socials and the sound is actually available to use on socials now. And then we have another song that I won't announce the name of yet coming out straight after that, and it's almost I guess it's kind of my little send off to the Rabina era, just putting the lid back on and putting it back in the fridge for a little bit. Yeah, I started writing an album which has been big and scary and wonderful and exciting, but again just like another iteration of myself and just another evolution.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just.
Speaker 6: Kind of putting this party era to rest for a sus second and just like getting those last couple of tracks out so they'll be out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this month, which is crazy. They can't wait.
Speaker 5: You can't wait to hear them, and obviously hear the song on full. We've been loving the snippet the sound, so yeah, we can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 4: And happy birthday for Tuesday to you. Honestly, keep shining, you know, you epitomize joy. I think that's a really if I were to bottle you up, it would be like you are like spring in a bottle or joy in a bottle and just ye, So keep that everything going.
Speaker 1: We love to see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we definitely do love to see it, and also loving to see that even though you like this person who has all these cultures within you, it's just a positive space.
Speaker 1: It's not like a negative thing. You know. Sometimes we're like, oh, I don't feel like I belong anywhere.
Speaker 5: But it's like you found your space and you found your sound and you found your music. And I think music is something that your knights people whole no matter where they're from, and you're definitely proof of that.
Speaker 1: So keep going. We'll watch it, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, and thank you to our listeners for joining us for yet another episode of its LB podcast. We appreciate you. If you haven't already, please check out Kai Kai. What are your social media handles? Where can people find you?
Speaker 6: You can find me on all platforms and it's at get it Kai.
Speaker 4: G E t I t K y e exactly and she's so much fun to like. Yes, yourself the favor, Do yourself the favor. Thank you so much for being here, Amanda. As always, thank you for doing this with me, and we'll see you on the next episode.
Speaker 3: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: Ye use your hand will tell you lack a purpo.