Speaker 1: Gooday, this is Peter Helly.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the movie podcast, where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now.
Speaker 1: In today's guests, comedian Danny McGinlay.
Speaker 3: Oh blow, I want to stay here with you.
Speaker 4: Than at the jobble.
Speaker 3: My hat snake shocked?
Speaker 5: Hiil it couldn't happening, right, You ain't seen nothing new.
Speaker 2: Not many comedians have premiership banner writer on their resume, but that ends today because Danny McGinlay, my guess, was the Bulldogs premiership banner writer in their premiership year.
Speaker 1: That's right, This hadn't been done before.
Speaker 2: Where the Bulldogs in the AFL in Australia austrain And Football League hired Danny McGinlay Bulldogs tragic and a great comedian to write their banners. Basically, the players doesn't really happen in other sports, but they run out unto the field through a massive wall of crepe paper and on that massive wall of crepe paper there's a message and Danny wrote the messages.
Speaker 1: They went viral.
Speaker 2: They became what supporters would talk about, you know, in pubs around the country. It was a huge thing and kind of contributed to the feel good story that the Bulldogs.
Speaker 1: Were in that year.
Speaker 2: I've known Dann him for many years, for over two decades where since he's been doing stand up comedy. He is such a fun guy to be around. He might have seen him on Utopia. You may have seen him in Damien Callenon's movie The Merger. You would have send him in clubs around the country. You can follow Danny on Instagram. He's got a YouTube channel as well, Danny McGinlay. And also coming up, he's got this really interesting project. He's working on, Shakespeare Ghostbusters.
Speaker 1: That's right, the two.
Speaker 2: Words you never thought you'd hear, back to back Shakespeare Ghostbusters, where they will perform Ghostbusters in the tradition and the language of Shakespeare. I cannot wait to check it out. It's a follow up to Shakespeare Aliens. Amazing stuff. So check Danny out there. Danny is smart, he's funny, and he's always great company. And I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 6: Good day, I'm Danny McGinlay. My three favorite films are Armageddon, Run.
Speaker 5: Everyone, Get Off the Nuclear Warfare all right.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to feel the power.
Speaker 3: But you're my legs brother, kaz a Blanca.
Speaker 4: He's looking at you, kid.
Speaker 3: And hot fuzz.
Speaker 5: Sojio Popwell was an exceptional officer, truly exceptional.
Speaker 3: I mean he had one thing you haven't got.
Speaker 1: What's that, sir?
Speaker 7: A great big bushy beard.
Speaker 3: And until last night I had not seen double indemnity.
Speaker 8: Sure I got good eyesight. You mean you want him to have the policy without him knowing it. That means without the insurance company knowing that he doesn't know it. That's a setup, isn't it?
Speaker 7: Is there anything wrong with it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 8: I think it's lovely that if some dark wet night, the crown block did fall on him. Only sometimes it can't quite make it on its own. It has to have a little help.
Speaker 7: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Of course, it doesn't have to be a crown block. It can be a car backing over, wreck it far the upstairs window, any little thing like that. Just so it's a morg job.
Speaker 7: Are you crazy?
Speaker 4: Not that crazy? Good bye? Miss?
Speaker 7: What's the matter?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 4: Baby, you can't get away with it. You want to knock them.
Speaker 1: Off, don't you.
Speaker 7: That's a horrible thing to say.
Speaker 8: What do you think I was anyway? The guy that walks into a good looking Dames front parlor and says, good afternoon. I sell accident insurance on husbands. You got when that's been around too long? When you'd like to turn into a little hard cash, just give me a smile and I'll have to collect.
Speaker 4: Why what a dope you must think I am.
Speaker 7: I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think you're swell as long as I'm not your husband.
Speaker 7: Get out of here.
Speaker 4: You better get out of here, baby, I get out of here, but quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, baby.
Speaker 2: Consider one of the great, if not the greatest film in the why of all time. It's got voiceover shadows, many suits, calling women baby dames and doll, a fan for tile, and of course it has murder. When insurance salesman Walter Neff played by the Dad from My Three Sons, Fred McMurray in cannas the married Phyllis Dietrickson barbars Stenwick, he lets his professionalism slip a little by getting his wagon. Before too long, the two of them are professing their love and planning on murdering Phyllis's supposedly abusive husband. Of course, murders are notoriously hard to get away with. I am yet to nail one perfectly. Walter's boss Keys played brilliantly by Edward G.
Speaker 1: Robinson.
Speaker 2: He's a bloodhound when it comes to fake insurance claims, and when he gets a sniff, he can't keep his nose out of it. Co Written by legends Raymond Chandler and Billy Wilder, who also directed, based on the book by James En Kane, ninety forty four is Doubling Demnity has crackling whip, smart dialogue, twist and turns, and great performances. Nominated for seven Oscars. He went home, though empty handed. Danny McGinlay assure insurance policy up to date.
Speaker 3: Mine is not no.
Speaker 6: I've long believed insurance as a massive scam. And what I do is I just save money and then when the bad things happen, I've got a little nest egg to just use. So, yeah, my wife could just kill me and take the money.
Speaker 1: I love my wife dearly be married twenty years this year.
Speaker 2: Bridge and whatever the idea of life insurance or you know, income protection, you know, insurance kind of comes up there.
Speaker 1: There's like one percent of my brain that just goes.
Speaker 6: Apparently every true crime podcast as soon as the partner takes out life insurance run.
Speaker 2: It is a weird conversation to have, but each to their own. Danimigin Lay, welcome to you and see nothing yet. Great to have you on board.
Speaker 3: Thank you, what a great pot. It's exciting to be on here.
Speaker 1: Mate.
Speaker 2: We often have chatted about movies over the years, and I know you're a big centerphile. When I approached you about this, you told me you were actually kind of doing something similar. There's what we're doing on the podcast. You are working through a list of films.
Speaker 6: That's right, the IMDb Top two fifty. When I was when my wife first fell pregnant to our firstborn. Obviously, there's no one more delusional than a first time dad when his partner's pregnant.
Speaker 3: I talked to so many young.
Speaker 6: Idiots who my favorite phrase is, I'm going to start a podcast about dadding.
Speaker 1: Are you mate?
Speaker 3: A really?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Everyone's going to want to listen to that, Oh definitely. But my thing was I was going to watch all two hundred and fifty of the IMDb Top two to fifty. My son is now nine, he's still got seventy to go. I've done Okay, that's pretty good. Yeah, and considering a lot of them are slogs, a lot of them are very long.
Speaker 3: Very worthy films.
Speaker 6: Yes. I was doing it with my wife early on, watching the films, but she bailed after we watched Grave of the Fireflies, which if you've not seen, is that not It's a nineteen eighty eight anime film ultimately about two orphans that starve to death. It is so depressing. It's really well made, of course, but it is so depressing. And because once you have kids, you cry more in films. Oh yes, I remember when my son was about a week old and I was doing a feed at two am.
Speaker 3: And this is our long ago. It was Pete. I had Foxtel and it was.
Speaker 6: One of those magical months where they gave you movies for free. So I was taking advantage that I was feeding and hiding his face from the screen because you know, it's bad for baby sea screen. But I was watching and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was on one of my favorite films, and the scene where you know, if you don't know Bill and Ted, they go back in time and get all these historical figures so they can do a history test and pass it so they can go on to be the biggest band in the universe. There's a scene where they accidentally go to the future and they are worshiped by these futuristic people for being the best band ever. And I watched it and realized this was the first time that these two characters had ever had anyone.
Speaker 1: Believe in them.
Speaker 6: And I'm balls for half an hour holding my son, my newborns I'm going you matter, I.
Speaker 1: Believe in you.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because it's so true that when you have kids, you do become more emotional in films. I noticed it particularly though, when there are kids involved like that.
Speaker 1: And I've mentioned on this podcast before.
Speaker 2: I watched a move with the Rock and it's one of his early stuff when, like you know, he was just making the same film over and over again, like the Tooth Fairy, Tooth Fairy or Yeah, it was either that a walking Toll. I actually forget which one it was, to be honest, because I've tried to kind of erase it.
Speaker 1: From my memory.
Speaker 2: But I remember like not just like welling up, but there were like tears streaming down my cheeks. I think I think one of his kids has his daughter has an anaplectic reaction or something, and my son has had through most of it now and flect, so that obviously hit a chord. But yeah, I like it. I like embracing you know, the emotion.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a certain funness in leaning into primal int I remember once I took my daughter to the zoo and we went to the tiger enclosure at Melbourne Zooh there's glass, but the tiger walked right up to her. And the primal instinct when a predator is attached walking towards your child.
Speaker 1: Is to push him towards the tiger.
Speaker 3: Yeah's right, yeah, and I'm going to run. But it was genuinely I was about to.
Speaker 6: I felt a part of me wanting to punch that tiger, and I was like, oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: We had one where at school we we suspected that one of our boys was being bullying. Is our oldest so first and we just suspected it, had no proof, and I wanted I almost turned al capone.
Speaker 1: I was like, I want to fucking Bernie's house to fucking ground. Who is his kid?
Speaker 2: Like I was, I don't care how old he is, He's liken straight I'm going for him, coming for you, And obviously I didn't do anything, and it turned out he wasn't.
Speaker 3: Everything was just I was bullying them.
Speaker 2: Well, we didn't how to say married about that actually, where we thought that Chloe was being bullied and got all righteous about it and then it's like, oh no, she's the actual bully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah. And so movie has always been a big part of the in the Migdinlay family.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 6: My parents' first date was to see The Spy Who Loved Me. So movies have been because I'm active on IMDb. Every film I see, I go in.
Speaker 3: I read it.
Speaker 6: I read the reviews, I read the trivia, I read the great quotes I love. That's actually my favorite part of watching a film is going on IMDb afterwards. I have watched at last count something like twelve hundred films.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you've cataloged.
Speaker 3: I've cataloged them all.
Speaker 6: Every time I see a film, I put it on there because yah, you forget so many of them. Absolutely, And when I was a young comedian, I managed video shops. I managed to Video Busters and then to Video Easy.
Speaker 3: So I have no.
Speaker 6: Day job to fall back on, so I need this to work well. But I miss the video shop. I miss I missed the actual marketing of films. I get really sad that, you know, now we're in this, films are just seen so disposable and there's no there's like apart from I think the last film that everyone sort of knew was coming out and was a big event would be Avengers Endgame. I think, yeah, there's been really no like, yeah, the Star Wars is have come and gone. I guess Fast and the Furious ten. I did see that. I saw it with Ross Noble.
Speaker 2: Now it is one of the most ridiculous films I've ever seen in a good way.
Speaker 1: In it Like, I left and I said, it's so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And I didn't seen one since my Tokyo Drift, which is like the second one. That's when I gave up, Yeah, because I was like, they can't do anything more with cars and they went to the moon apparently in the last one, so ludicrous took a car to the moon. But I just said, once you like this, go now, this is this is ridiculous. It's soppy. Yeah, but they know exactly what they're doing.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's like John Wick, Yeah, John Wick is pawn, but instead of having sex, they fight. Yeah, there's no storyline, it's just he walks in. I'm here to clean the pool bag back back back.
Speaker 2: But once you know, you feel like I talk about this podcasts a lot, when you feel like you're in safe hands, you know, watching a film, and I think in Fastthan I just kind of went. There's the early scenes where they're all having a barbeker every like shot of Vin Diesel in the first twenty minutes of that film. He's almost got the same look in his hand. He's this contentment, you know, like looking, you know, and he's like, yeah, I'm happy. I've got a family, and it's all about family. It's all family. Family.
Speaker 6: I had a rumor that that Vin Diesel is actually a huge Dungeons and Dragons fan.
Speaker 1: I think that's true, and this is.
Speaker 6: His Dungeons and Dragons, Like he's got his you know, the person who's the wizard, the person who's the I don't know, duneonstray, someone's a major, I don't know what a major, which I can help you out, and someone's a night and they but they just go on a different adventure every film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And that's so I dig that.
Speaker 6: If someone gave me tickets said you want to go watch Faster and Furious tend, of course.
Speaker 1: I would, you know, it was fun.
Speaker 2: I'd stop for a beer first, probably have three pints. Yeah, I think I have to be here during them. Actually yeah, yeah, just the one.
Speaker 6: Actually, the last film I saw at the cinema was Jurassic Park six with my son. Had three pints beforehand, needed for I was a bit too sober for the last ten minutes. I shall tell you this. With Jurassic Park six, I don't know if your boys were ever scared in films at weird moments?
Speaker 1: Well, et was the one that really freaked my order. Yeah a long time, okay, and.
Speaker 3: I've not shown my kids that one.
Speaker 6: My boy I thought when he was like six, he was, you know, into dinosaurs, as all boys are, and I remember showing him scenes on YouTube of just herbivores because I thought he was.
Speaker 3: I thought he was a sensitive kid.
Speaker 6: But then it accidentally went on to raptors about to eat Alan Grant and a t rex appeared Nate the raptor.
Speaker 3: And he went, yeah, do you want to see more scary? Yeah? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: So then eventually he watched all of them. I took him to see Jurassic Park six. Was fine with people getting their faces ripped off by dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 6: There's one scene s Park six, it's so badly written where Alan, Grant and Ellie are infiltrating an evil laboratory, and it's so badly written. The two guys like, oh, just hang around here, just don't go in that room. You're not allowed in that room. And of course he goes a bit they go in that room. My point dand at me just turned to me petrifoning with they're not allowed.
Speaker 1: He loves the blood, he loves the violence, but he is a rule man.
Speaker 3: He's a rules man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's that is awesome.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about your three favorite films before we come back and talk about Double Indemnity. I can't wait to find out what you thought of it. But you had three films. Armageddon kicks us off controversial, Y yeah, I do know for somebody who worked their way through the top is working their way through the top two hundred and fifty films, and I am dB.
Speaker 1: I wasn't expecting I'm again to be there.
Speaker 6: No, it's a truly magical film that is misunderstood by most people who see it.
Speaker 3: It's one of the greatest.
Speaker 6: Dead pan comedies ever made, and it's such a deadpan comedy. Michael Bay, the director, doesn't realize he's making a comedy. The script is written by jj Abrams, who throws in joke after joke after joke, but Michael Bay misses all of them and it's weird. Bruce Willis, Live Tyler and Ben Affleck play it as if it's a you know, Richard the Third Shakespeare romance Love Triangle, almost general hospital style vibe. But Billy, Bob Thornton, Jason Isaacs, Peter Storm Mayer, Steve BESHEMI all play it like a comedy, but play it deadpan. And I don't think it could have worked if Michael Bay knew it was a comedy. If we've played as a comedy, that would have been mugging to the camera. But they just catch lightning in a bottle with this amazing jokes, all told completely stony faced, and it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Because it comes out around the time of Independence Day as well.
Speaker 1: I remember a few years.
Speaker 6: Later this is my X men power. When I managed the video shop. Whenever you scanned the disc or the tape, the title and the year came up, so I know all release years encyclopedically ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Fantastic So and the Independence Day is the amazing where the President flies into Is that Bill Paxton?
Speaker 1: Is that Bill Benson?
Speaker 6: Bill Paxton or Bill Pullman? I'm pretty sure it's paxsy it woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, God resting and so that that's Independence Days and Armageddon is Aerosmith don't want to miss a thing that is in there?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yep, got a great soundtrack.
Speaker 6: There's a few Aerosmith songs in there, a lot do you want to You know, when you get people who don't get your favorite film and they have a complaint, that is so dumb. And one a lot of people's complaints is there's a scene where Ben Affleck and Live Tyler, you know, making out whilst Aerosmiths don't want to miss the thing as playing, and people got her Dad's just singing whilst they're making out. It's like he's not in the room, He's not their live singing along.
Speaker 1: That is so funny.
Speaker 2: I had a friend at school who was a big bon Jovi fan growing up, of course, and they were were yeah, exactly secretly you know, everyone is. And they they had a song cale lay Your Hands on Me, which off the New Jersey album, which is the follow up the Slippery when Wet their massive album, and the film clip it was basically them in concert, some with crowd, some in an empty kind of stadium, but it's a big lead up and then John and Joe comes through the yes floor of the stage.
Speaker 6: It's almost like almost like get smart phone booth elevator in revert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it was super cool. I love a parrotechnics act obviously. But my friend said, you guys don't like that. I said, did you see the video? Because back these days, watching, you know, watching the videos was like a big thing. It was you caught them and they were like, there's obviously a bit of hype around this one as well.
Speaker 3: You had video Smash Hits on a Saturday morning to watch that.
Speaker 2: He had to record it, make your own VHS tapes and and he said, no, I don't like it. In fact, I'm not sure I like bun Job anyway. So why not because the video doesn't make sense? I said, what do you mean? It doesn't make sense? It's like a performance Forde there, it's a concert video basically, and sometimes this stadium goes yeah. But like one moment he's wearing this outfit and then the next thing he's not wearing this outfit. It's like I said, oh my god, you don't understand, and I remember, it's like a twelve thirteen year old. There is getting so like John to explain that it's not like they're not trying to tell a linear story here, it's it's videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's there's so many flaws to that argument. You don't know where to start exactly.
Speaker 1: So you gotta go.
Speaker 2: I'm just never discussing anything with you ever. Again, you're on the blacklist.
Speaker 6: And a lot of people do criticize Armagedin by saying because apparently there's a famous story. It's on the director's commentary. About halfway through filming. Ben Affleck said to Michael Bay, why wouldn't they just train astronauts how to drill? And Michael Bay went shut up, which is a great answer, But.
Speaker 1: They do it.
Speaker 6: They do say that in the film, Like the reason NASA approaches Bruce Willis is they've said they stole his designs for his drills, and they've said we've been training these astronauts and they can't do and he's going, yeah, of course not because you've designed it wrong. That's upside Let me guess you've been shredding all of the drill shafts. Yeah, because that's upside down. And then you just say, look, you can't teach guys to drill. It's in your blood. I need my guys.
Speaker 3: I can't explain it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's as long as I mean, the explansion should be is as water tight as it can possibly hope to be. That's your raime as the writer. But as long as they've a dressed any elephants in the room, I think so. Yeah, I think that's you know, a tick so.
Speaker 6: And the way they ignore every other country, it's just America.
Speaker 3: The rest of the world is just looking.
Speaker 6: And there's my favorite, probably one of my favorite lines in cinema, which is a phrase I say way too much if my top ten has about one hundred lines. But Peter storm Mayor, who plays the Russian cosmonaut on the ISS, who's gone a bit loopy towards the end when everything's going badly and they've got they're trying to finally blow it up. But they're going, oh, this is these are Russian components. I don't know what's going on. He goes American components, Russian components.
Speaker 3: All made in Taiwan, and then he just whacks it with a wrench and it works.
Speaker 2: I may have to visit again, and I recommend look at it through the prism of being a comedy man.
Speaker 6: Even the first shot is the title appears and then blows up right, it's fun Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did have a moment watching Fast ten, which kind of it is funny that you bring Mageddon into it, because I did gotta go. Sometimes you have to let go of your you know, like, know what movie you're watching and if you're going to see Fast ten or Armageddon, your I can brain out of your head and enjoy it.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: And there's a skill on there's art still to this.
Speaker 2: You know, yes it's mainstream and it but it's it's still there's artists who are doing that's what That's what I was watching Fast and going. There are artists who have done incredible work on this movie. Lastly the writers, but the visual effects and stunt drivers.
Speaker 6: And choreography of fighting and even to come up with these ideas and you know, how do we do that?
Speaker 3: This is how we do it?
Speaker 6: Amazing, even one of my greatest moments in cinema arguing. I had a long time fight with one of my best mates, Shane, who loves movies as much as me. He was always convinced Conair was a terrible film, and I Connair is like again, is a comedy, but they play it like an Actually, they're going, how dumb can we make this film? And then we finally I convinced him to watch it. After five years we've been at the pub, I went back to his place, we put it on and about halfway through went, Okay, I get it.
Speaker 3: This is fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: If you like this, it's just sometimes just flicking out little switch or turning that switch off in your head, perhaps more accurately Casa Blanca. Yes, I watched this for the first time for this podcast with Nikki Brittain Man.
Speaker 3: What I'm almost envious to watch it for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty It was pretty great and obviously a great film, one of those credible films obviously of all time. Humphrey Bogart Instellar form Why do you love Cass?
Speaker 1: Why do I love it?
Speaker 6: I think one of the main reasons I tell people who haven't seen it is the real surprising thing about Casa Blanca is the jokes are still hilarious eighty years later. Captain Reno is so funny. He's the corrupt French official and he's just so unscrupulous. He's like Daffy Duck the way that he's just always trying to get ahead. But you like him, you're on his side. And it's a great story of and my year eleven teacher, mister Barlow loved Casablanca and showed us to teach us about World War Two, and he explained everything why and every person is a country in World War Two at that time, Rick had the isolationist policy which they'd had in World War start of World War One. That Woodrow Wilson pushed forward of you know, hey, just take care of ourselves because they're only eighty years out of a civil war at that stage. That's why the I don't stick my neck out for nobody. And Captain Reno is France, who are a bit you know, European and have capitulated to the Germans a bit. That Captain General Strausser, who's the evil German, who's just very straight laced. And then you've got the other countries. Victor Laslow is Czechoslovakia, fighting a good fight but needs other people's help. Ilsa is Sweden, who ocn't say what did they do in World War Two? They're one of those countries that we sort of go, we won't ask. And it was a message to America to join the war at that stage. This was I assumed some Jewish writers saying, hey, get in there, our people are being killed, get in there, and that was a way to convince American audiences maybe we should join the fight the way Rick does at the very end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's because what really occurred to Nicky and I I didn't have that insight as far as being like an analogy, but the fact they're making this during.
Speaker 6: At the start of in nineteen forty one, so Pearl Harbor hadn't happened yet. That's December seven, nineteen forty two, I think, which so it came out Kazablank's nine forty three, so they would have been making it in Pearl Harbor to happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's incredible to have.
Speaker 2: Usually what happens even now, usually it takes us a few years to be ready to deal with a war. Even if a movie does get made, it usually doesn't succeed if it's made too close.
Speaker 1: We need a little bit of time and distance.
Speaker 2: The fact that they're doing this, and we always kind of consider modern movie making more cutting edge and more daring than you know, what's gone on eighty years before.
Speaker 1: But to be doing that during that time, it was.
Speaker 6: Pretty amazing edgy. And also they were just no one expected it to be a hit. They were just churning it out. It was one of about probably fifty films they all worked on that year, and they just went, ah, let's tell this story. And it's such a It's definitely a beautiful story. But the thing that I'm always surprised by is how much I laugh when I watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's not as funny as I'm again not actually.
Speaker 6: We mentioned peerl that's Michael Bay doing a straight action film and it's it's dull and schmaltzy and and not fun whereas again there's jokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't realize it.
Speaker 1: It's a good comparison.
Speaker 2: Hot Fuzz is the follow up to Shawn of the Dead the Corneto trilogy, Yes, the second film in that by Edgar Wright and of course Simon Pegg. Why why Hot fuzz I love Hot farz. It sounds like I'm critiquing your all right, why hot over Shawan of the Dead Because.
Speaker 6: There's a couple of couple of reasons. One is I loved zombie films. I was a zombie film absolute nerd. When I was at the video shop. I watched every single zombie film that ever came even Diary of the Dead, George Romero's I think fifth film in his Night of the Living Dead series, which was one of the worst films you'll ever see.
Speaker 3: A Return of the.
Speaker 6: Living Dead, I watched one through five. Returning Dead is one of the great horror films. In the zombies run and you can't kill them, you have to burn them till there's nothing left. So it is a real, really bleak, horrible But that's also the Return Living Dead was the one where they explained why zombies brains because they can feel themselves decompose, and eating brains dulls the pain for a little bit, and that's why they're so desperate. It's brilliant. So yeah, I was an absolute zombie film Net. And I loved Shawna the Dead. It's an absolute brilliant film, but the last third I felt went down too many similar zombie traits, which I don't like in zombie films. In the bleakness, having to shoot his mum, her mum not telling him that they've been bit and I'm like, ah, this is hack.
Speaker 3: Come on, guys, just started so well. I thought you were going to.
Speaker 6: Have a new idea with it, and then yeah, so I just I didn't really love the ending of Shawna the Dead. Whereas Hot Fuzz is when you ask your top three films, I say everyone has three favorite films. The film that you say to impress people, that's Kasablanket, the film you watch when you've had a few beers and don't want to go to bed yet again, Yeah, thankfully, Armageddon's a lot on Free to Wear a lot, so I can come in halfway through and doesn't matter where I start.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 6: And the film that you can watch again and again and again, and every time you watch it you notice something new, and that's Hot Fuzz. It is a goddamn masterpiece. There is so many little nuggets of fun that every time I watch, I go, oh, that's like a simple thing.
Speaker 3: I noticed on my probably my eighth viewing.
Speaker 6: There's a scene where Simon Pegg and Nicholas Frost are just going through all the victims. And you know, Simon Peg plays the straight, lace, brilliant detective who's just trying to get it and Nick Frost is the idiot to the side. Nick Frost says all so he says, what about Eve Draper and he goes had an annoying laugh. He's just saying little things about them, that is all he knows. He's trying to help. Later on, it's revealed everything Nick Frost has said is the real reason they died, the motives given by the killers. Wow, it's just and you wouldn't notice that until you've seen it that many times.
Speaker 2: I mean, Simon Pegg is he's very enjoyable on screen, but I do think Nick Frost gives those films such heart as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he's so he wants to help and he's he's almost like Edgar Wright who loves cinema and he's in there. He's he's telling the love story to the lethal weapons and bad boys and all those point break all those films that you and I grew up watching as well. It's also just ain't squarely at you and me. Yes, yes, absolutely it was, but it's I just love and World's End is so underrated. That is a that's an absolute masterpiece. Well, I actually put Seawana's Third in the list.
Speaker 1: Because the colon that a trilogy. What is the third World's End? It is World's End?
Speaker 2: Right, yes, because they may he made I think Scott Pilgrim, I think, yes, between they run in order, I thought they'd give right, maybe went off and made it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know they didn't do it one bang bang bang. Yeah, I think he made Scott Pilgrim versus the World in there, which I remember liking, but I've never revisited.
Speaker 1: No, I'm the same. Actually, I saw a bit of it just you know.
Speaker 2: Ten minutes is on on the TV, and I watched about ten minutes and I thought to myself, I should go back and revisit that because I'm not sure if my head was in the right space where I'm not sure what my expectations were for the film.
Speaker 3: We weren't familiar with the original.
Speaker 6: It's a comic, I think so, Yeah, I'm not a comic guy, so I don't know didn't know what it was, but I still had fun.
Speaker 2: I think I was more coming from it as a Michael sarah aresa development fan, going oh this would be good and his egg right, Okay, let's do this and then yeah, I will go back and watch that again.
Speaker 8: Harvest memorandum, well enough to biden Keys, claims manager, Los Angeles, July sixteenth, nineteen thirty eight. Their keys. I suppose you'll call us a confession when you hear it. Well, I don't like the word confession. I just want to set you right about something you couldn't see because of a smack up against your nose.
Speaker 4: You think you're such a hot potato as a claims manager, such.
Speaker 8: A wolf on a horny claim. Maybe are Let's take a look at that Ditrichson claim, accident double indemnity. You were pretty good in there for a while.
Speaker 1: Keys.
Speaker 8: He said it wasn't an accident. Check, he said it wasn't suicide. Check he said it was murder.
Speaker 7: Check.
Speaker 8: You thought you had a cold, didn't you All wrapped up in tissue paper with pink ribbons around it. It was perfect, except it wasn't because you made one mistake, just one little mistake, when it came to picking the killer. You picked the wrong guy. You want to know who killed Didrickson? Pull tight to that cheap cigar of yours keys? I killed Didrickson?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 8: All En f insurance sales, thirty five years old, unmarried, no visible scars.
Speaker 4: Until a while ago.
Speaker 3: There is.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 8: I killed him, killed him for money for a woman.
Speaker 4: I didhim get the money and I didn't get the woman.
Speaker 1: Ninety four.
Speaker 2: Billy Wilder directed it, co wrote it with the great Raymond Chandler, starring, of course, Fred McMurray, Barbara Stanwick danimin Lay.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy Double Indemnity?
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 6: I loved it hard, Oh good fun, so fun my wife. I watched it with my wife last night. She's a big Raymond Chandler fan. Now I would actually I wish I could look up. In fact, I will did he write any other films?
Speaker 1: Because I know he was new to screenwriting.
Speaker 3: I knew he was new to it. But did he do any after there was? Because he Yeah, I'll.
Speaker 6: Admit, the final third doesn't make complete, So I'm not sure what his plan was because he could have got away with it, and yet he decides not to it, decides to confess.
Speaker 3: And but the dialogue is so good.
Speaker 2: It's so like I said in the intro, whip Smart, that it's it just crackles the whole way through.
Speaker 1: I really, I really enjoyed this film.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The best example of the dialogue is I'm not a huge fan of romantic comedies. I find especially scenes where characters first meet and they flirt, I find them none absent of cringey and just unbelievable. This was unbelievable, but it was fun. The way that Dietrich and Walter Walter fef two f's like in Philadelphia, What a great line.
Speaker 3: What took me like? It was about ah, very good.
Speaker 6: And they just flirt in this very nineteen I guess it's forties, but it feels nineteen twenties.
Speaker 3: It's all this pose. I ain't one for supposing style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's set I think officially nineteen thirty eight, because I think he gives that he does the day the time, stamps it with his confession at the start. But I mean he's so into it. I mean, let's let's just have it. Listen to the flirting that goes around. Yeah, it's almost straight away like this is his first meeting with what is it?
Speaker 1: Killis Phyllis, that's Phyllis Phillis and Walter.
Speaker 2: We're dealing with this film for ninety three four, obviously, and this is see how quickly they they get into it.
Speaker 7: Mister Nef, why don't you drop by tomorrow evening around eight thirty, he'll be in there. My husband, who were anxious to talk to him, weren't you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, but I started getting over the idea. If you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: There's speed limit in this state, mister Nef, forty five miles from now?
Speaker 4: How best was I going after?
Speaker 7: I'd say around ninety I.
Speaker 4: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket.
Speaker 7: Suppose I let you off for the warning this time.
Speaker 4: I suppose it doesn't.
Speaker 7: Take, or do I have to work you over the knackoff?
Speaker 4: I suppose I got so crying and put my head in your shoulder.
Speaker 7: As you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
Speaker 4: That terars it.
Speaker 2: It's very funny, but I mean Walter is very comfortable. Very quickly, this throws his hat on the furniture. I think he fees the goldfish at one point. I mean it's a dangerous game.
Speaker 6: Oh and one of my hobbies is goldfish keeping. There's too many fish in that tank, and those round bowl ones are not good for the fish. There's no filtration, there's no water changes, not much oxident anyway, Sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Planing no, please, because I mean, at least check if the goldfish have been fed that day. I mean, those goldfish are probably dead. Now that's a sad thing. That is a sad thing. You rued the movie. Yeah, when you watch a movie and you realize some of the actors that they were, those goldfish are dead too.
Speaker 6: I did love how you said in the intro Fred McMurray the dad from My Three Sons, because that's what I knew him from. Yeah, the straight lace stern but with a heart of gold, sitcom dad and watching him be this flirty, flawed character.
Speaker 3: I mean, this.
Speaker 6: Ultimately is a Greek tragedy in that he is a very likable, we can relate to him. He falls in lust with this woman and then sees a way that he could have a future with a lot of money because he's bored in his job and he knows a way they could scam it. He and then eventually he fails, and we know he fails. I'm not spoiling this because the opening scene is him confessing yes to doing it, yes, and it's and through can we agree with all of his decisions. Ultimately we're on his side, and we don't make films like that anymore. There's no real like if they made it now, they would have to give him a very negative personality type. So we're happy that he fails in the end, or it would be told from Edward g Robinson's characters perspective, the guy who eventually solves the murder the way so good. I'd never really watched a lot of Edward g Robinson. All I knew is Chief Wigan was based on him, and it was weird watching Chief wigam be intelligent.
Speaker 2: Well, you expect you expect him to be the way it's set up in that confession. You know he's such a bloodhound, aren't you you know, And you expect them to be like a boss that really is overbearing and almost they're at odds with each other, but they're actually.
Speaker 1: Kind of quite friendly with each other.
Speaker 3: They're a father son dynamics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they really are so I really enjoyed that dynamic and he was just so good. I mean, some of the speeches he gives about what it was in sulicid, I'm not sure that's still hold up today.
Speaker 6: But why, oh, this is that Edward g keyes is Keys gives that speech to the big boss of the insurance company, whose name is Edward Norton. Yeah, yeah, that was That was just a little gag for us.
Speaker 3: Well, not a gag, just an intentional coincidence.
Speaker 2: We're going to plant this and hope one of the biggest actors of the twenty first century is I.
Speaker 6: Saw the name on the on the door, and I did say to my wife, imagine it is Edward Norton. Edward Norton, the guy who plays Edward Norton is a terrible actor. That's one of the worst speeches I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And it really pops out because everyone else is so good.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead, but I did look him up.
Speaker 6: His name is. Yeah, we're going to name and shame here. Richard Gains just it looks like he's reading it for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hasn't come prepared, I don't think, so to go back to the flirting that goes on. Oh yeah, but it is because one of the little facts, because there's a lot made about this anklet.
Speaker 6: Yes, I looked at I look because, as I said, I said, my favorite thing is to look up the facts and trivia on IMDb.
Speaker 2: Apparently, this urban legend has it that if a married lady was wearing or a lady was wearing an anklet, it meant that she was married but available to other men.
Speaker 3: It's like a pineapple on your shirt on a cruise shift. Do you know about that?
Speaker 1: I have vaguely.
Speaker 6: You're a swinger, right, yeah, so you put a pineapple on your door, it means people can come and knock and have a good time.
Speaker 1: There's a picture of a pineapple or a sticker or something. Yeah. Yeah, well, not an actual pineapple. I guess if whatever you want, If it's.
Speaker 2: An actual pineapple, that means you I really can, You're really you are really prepared.
Speaker 6: And you're you're really too willing to violate biosecurity laws.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of violating laws.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, the door where she hides behind is also apparently transgresses the building code. Yes, doors are not allowed to swing out, which which when you think about of course they always swing.
Speaker 1: Inwards, and it makes sense because it's probably dangerous.
Speaker 3: For people to be blocks the fire escape.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean this movie is stunted, the fall apart.
Speaker 2: But the flirting is. So it's interesting because we wouldn't accept it.
Speaker 1: Now. Well one, I think I think Walter wouldn't be likable, and he was.
Speaker 2: It was very much on the edge for me, Like it was like, wow, this is this is not necessarily through a twenty twenty three ends. I mean, you know that's there for every the sea, you know, but even from a wow. You So she's married and she's trying to get a time for you to come and visit her when her husband's there, and you're you're you're playing this this hard.
Speaker 3: It's like he is an insurance salesman.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are not good good people.
Speaker 1: They're not good people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was kind of a bit like, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about him. I kind of went along with the journey, Like I said, I really like this film. So it worked and maybe maybe I'm not sure about you. You wanted if I wanted him to get away with it. At the end of what was hoping for when he was confessing at the start? What And even now that you know where it goes, what do you think because he basically confesses and then Keys kind of comes in at the end and he's like, you know, okay, you're caught, and he's like, well not maybe maybe not, maybe I can get to Mexico. So what do you think his intention was?
Speaker 6: Yeah, as I said, it's hard to know he's plan in the last because he could have actually sit He could have got away with it the the Italian Nino. Nino could have been framed. He could have gone in killed Phyllis and then it would have been absolutely pinned on Nino and he could have escaped. But for some reason, he calls Nino aside and said, I've killed her.
Speaker 3: Go go to the daughter.
Speaker 2: I took it as him having a like realizing this has gone too far, because also.
Speaker 6: Phyllis shoots him and then he says he says something like why didn't you do that? He goes, I realized I loved you and I couldn't pull the trigger a second time. I was well, really, that's not the cold blooded killer you've been set up to. Because it's also it's never said, but it's apparent she killed her husband's first wife so she could move in like she's playing she's playing the long game. Yeah, she was setting it all, but then she decides not to at the last minute. It costs her her life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which I I think in intense moments like this, you know I haven't been there. Need to be very clear on That's about my little joke in the introduction that you know you are experiencing very intense emotions and in the same way that Walter decides and realizes, I've gone too far away from my values. You know, I've now literally murdered a woman. I've murdered I've murder the two people. Now I need to confect I can understand. And he shot.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if he thinks he's dying at that point.
Speaker 6: He's shot on the shoulder, which is a bit like now in modern day films, that's nothing you can still you can still fight the bad guy with that. Yeah, But in older with older medical procedures, maybe that was a death sentence. So it's it's unclear to us whether he knows it, but he does need to tell keys what it's almost like when you've done something really wrong as a kid, you go like, Dad, I broke a window. Yeah, he has to do that before he goes to me. I don't know if Yeah, we don't know if you plan to go to Mexico the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: When Keys walks in and says, you're bust. If that then, which I've got no problem with him. In fact, I kind of like it. I can imagine some people might think, O, hang on, but he's confessing. Is like a deathbed confession. Does he thinks he does he think he's dying? Or is he confessing? And then almost like hands in the air, I'm done, But this is he has almost I like to think of it as a change of heart or where he kind of goes, I am confessing, I'm done, I'm caught, and then he realizes, no, I can maybe I can get away with this, you know, I'm I'm out of here.
Speaker 6: Because he does talk about half just after he's killed the husband, he couldn't he felt, he felt like a dead man, He felt like everyone knew that he was going to do that. He felt the guilt, He couldn't feel his footsteps on the ground. Yeah, he is racked with guilt even but it is the plot device of the narration, telling us that because we wouldn't have got it from his performance. He acts normal, but we know from the narration that he's struggling inside.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the plans?
Speaker 6: The first first bit of the plan seemed bulletproof. Yeah, it seemed great. Yeah, you kill the guy, you throw him off the train, he's yeah, it seemed to work.
Speaker 2: In my notes, I did, right, Why wouldn't you have claimed the broken leg?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: And then it did come in then and that's a minute later. And that's the thing that Keys does, that kind of prickles his.
Speaker 3: The little man inside.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that as a device. I'm not sure if you've seen poker Face, which is a film clip Lady not Lady Gaga and not necessarily the Russell Crowe film is called poker Face. Poker Fact is a great series with Natasha Leone as the lead, and she is it's basically a modern day made by Ryan Johnson Murder. She wrote, okay, where she just goes from town to town solving murder happens.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun.
Speaker 2: And her thing is she has an inbuilt thing where she knows when somebody's lying, so she uses that to solve murders. And she's always like, I'm leaving this town. She can't quite leave the town. Like it's all the fun stuff like columbu just one more thing. It's a lot like that, but it's they have they know what they're doing. It's fun and there's an overriding going on with she's on the run from some gangsters. Of course good, it's really fun. Poker face on the standard think of this, but I love this, this this idea that he has this little man in his gut. It is basically gut instinct he's talking about that tells him when something is wrong. And because we know he's very good at his job, we believe it, you know, like they do such a good job of setting him up as this kind of machine, like you know, yes, it's beast like ability to kind of once he gets.
Speaker 1: A sniff that's something.
Speaker 2: This doesn't sound right, like we know he's not gonna let it go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he could get his own series.
Speaker 6: It could be an insurance claims guy who solves murders in his spare time series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could do that.
Speaker 6: In Australia. We'll get Marcus Graham to play him like good guys, bad guys would be fine. One one thing I really loved was, and it's actually not mentioned in any of the IMDb trivia, is the way that they light their matches with their thumb. It's very It's like I thought it was a cigarette lighter, but it's no, it's a way you could do it. And I ask my wife, how do they do that? She goes, in all Raymond Chandler books, people light matches with their thumbnail and it's and at the end of every scene that Fef has with Keys, he lights the match four Keys for him to light his cheap cigar. And at the very end, as Keys is dying, he wants As Fef is dying, he's trying to light his cigarette for the last time, and Keys lights it for him, meaning he could do it the whole time, but he wanted his sonlike figure to bond with each other and light the cheap cigars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice, it's nice. I did love.
Speaker 2: I mean I felt tense watching like like I was when the car went start the car and start. We apparently not in the script, and Billy Wilder car wouldn't start one day after after shooting, and he just thought, oh, this is this is great. I love I love the fact that it eventually start because yeah, but they have that moment of tension because I was like, yeah, this this fuck's the whole plan. Yeah, like they can't get somebody the help because that's trying. You can't get our ACV. They didn't have roadside assist. Take out your insurance. That's the thing. I mean, the irony.
Speaker 6: Actually, yeah, he surely had a dodgy insurance guy that he could call for roadside assists.
Speaker 1: And then but they can't leave the car there because.
Speaker 6: It's it's a car. It's too close to it. You're right, it's and and I love that. Then it solved it.
Speaker 3: It's it's just a moment in a moment.
Speaker 6: I remember a film teacher once taught me there's a scene in the scene in Psycho where Janet ly is she's dumping the car after she's stolen the money, and she drives it into a pond and it floats and doesn't sink.
Speaker 3: And everyone's like, oh, we needed to sink.
Speaker 6: We didn't think that Hitchcock making you guilty of aiding and abetting the crime, making the audience guilty. And that's what at that moment, we're going we need him to get away with murder, when suddenly we're just as guilty as them.
Speaker 1: That is that is a that's a great way of thinking about it.
Speaker 2: And even when he's going through the the train carriage, he's on his crutches and he doesn't obviously he wants to basically just be seen enough and not be sighted. And he goes to the back carriage and there's this guy there, you know.
Speaker 3: A friendly man. Yes, what was his name?
Speaker 6: It was mister mister Jackson, played very well by Peter Hall, who looked like he looked like an American Eric Idol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just the most the loveliest face in the world, just wanting to chat, just want I just want your cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just wanted to know all the information you can possibly give me. You know, where you're from, what's your name? And there's not does not turn around. It's played beautifully because you've got to go. Could he have gotten away with that decisily? I mean he's looking outwards, you know, like maybe.
Speaker 6: I loved when they brought that character back for an interrogation scene he did, you know, he's just one to help. He's a friendly guy. But then there's the sex in this film is all just hinted at. There's no actual sex, but it's very heavily hinted at. Like the first scene where Phyllis and Walter get together, there's they kiss and then it sort of fades, and then they come back and they're on opposite sides of the couch getting redressed. Subtly, they're not like, he's not pulling his pants up, he's just fixing his tie and she's putting her makeup.
Speaker 1: B it.
Speaker 6: So it's heavily implied. But Walter and Phyllis bang, that's what we're saying. Absolutely bang. They bang like with pineapples. But at the end of the interrogation has seen the nicest man in the world, they said. He says, well, anytime you need to chat, if you can, you catch him and train down from Oregon to Los Angeles. I'll help you out as long as you pay my expenses and they go sweek, We'll put you on a train. Now, I guess how about tomorrow morning. There's an osteopath I want to see I know, which just clearly means hooker.
Speaker 1: Well, im, I didn't read them.
Speaker 2: I just heard osteopath and I thought that osteopaths in nineteen forty four.
Speaker 3: What the guy says is, well, I hope she's worth it.
Speaker 1: I was a deemed doctor.
Speaker 3: Hang on, that doesn't scept with me. I think she's a cold girl.
Speaker 2: There was the I must say the first I thought he's was gonna be really unlike it because the first time we see him, he's basically interrogating this like immigrant and that's right, and it's a bit kind of it's a bit weird. And then he apparently doesn't know how to use it door handle. Like at first I thought he was joking by saying, now, now you use the door handle now, and then he yeah, put it to watch and he's like I thought when he first said that before the almost let's say he was Italian, I'm not sure if he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, general European, general.
Speaker 2: European, when the general European. But hees handled the door handle. I think he's going to this open the door. But it's like he is following his instructions on how to use a door handle.
Speaker 6: I think that's just because he got busted burning his own car and he just doesn't want to, like he could go to jail for attempted fraud. So he's just sort of, yeah, I'll do whatever you need to do to so I can get out of this room and get away with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's but yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: He does start as it's not a likable way to start it. He's saying to this going night, you're trying to screw us, and we look at the guy.
Speaker 3: He's all he's clearly a mechanic. He's dirty. It's like it's probably down on his luck. You come and help him out.
Speaker 6: Be like mister Incredible at the start of The Incredibles, he knows how to help people get their false insurance claims. He's yeah, so he's a company man, but he's a bulldog. He never stops until he's got, you know, justice for the insurance company.
Speaker 2: Why do we like this character, Well, it's fascinating, but I think I think the plot's so good and you are invested.
Speaker 1: The daughter comes along.
Speaker 3: How old is she?
Speaker 2: Do you reckon? Because that's unclear. I know in black and white, I know she is. She was twenty two. The actress yep. So because it was an uncomfortable thing when they starts hanging out with her when you can't see Phillips because they're trying to avoid each other and stay away.
Speaker 3: So they can't be a bit busted for the crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they go to the Hollywood Bowl. I think that was the moment where is he gonna is he trying to?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's always that feeling with the forties films of like how bad is this going to get?
Speaker 2: Because it's like she could be fourteen or she could be like she could be twenty four ye and twenty four.
Speaker 6: Okay, well he's thirty six, thirty eight, Yes, I think this is not great. But twenty four thirty eight fine, fine, fine.
Speaker 1: But thirty four, forteen fifteen six then.
Speaker 6: No, definitely not. So let's let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's say she was twenty two. In my mind she was. I felt like she was probably closer to like twenty you know.
Speaker 2: La said, it is hard because I always say the casting was so weird back then. I mean even in the eighties and nineties, you know, there was a you know, the Breakfast Club, you know. Yeah, Judd Nelson I think was fifty five when he made that film, but the I was just very good, and it does that's the first time you start well, not when you become suspicious or what were you thinking as far as Phyllis's motives work. Do you kind of just but we do see her, and it's important. Do we see her husband? We meet her husband.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he's great because he's not overly evil, but he's also quite flippant and we believe that he could be a drunk abusive man.
Speaker 2: Yes, we don't see he's like basically in the old style, like it's almost sold as. He has a nagging wife that he doesn't want to you know, he's lost tolerance, you know for her.
Speaker 3: He's a very sitcom dad.
Speaker 6: Yes, in that archie bunker sort of all in the family one of these days, Alice.
Speaker 2: Yes, he works so hard and why kind of just relax when he gets home, you know, And it's that kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: But we we don't see any you know.
Speaker 3: Any domestic violence or anything like that, nothing like that.
Speaker 2: But we, like you said, I think it's a really good point. We can believe that he is capable of it. Yeah, it's really important. So when did you well, what were your vibes on what Phyllis was doing. Did you think she maybe had a darker history or did you think it was simply Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I think she definitely was playing that. I believed the daughter when she said that she she killed the mum, So I think Phyllis was playing. And the other clue is when she brings in Nino Nino's she said, you know the insurance people say, we've seen Nino visit her house many times. I'm like, hang on, she's got another plan going on. She could be playing.
Speaker 3: Walter as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, yeah, I think she had her fingers in a lot of pies. And I absolutely believe she murdered the mum to get in with the rich husband and then got bored of him, so start seducing Walter, and then probably got bored of Walter starts seducing Nino. She's yeah, she's evil, but fun evil. Yes, So yeah, there's no character you don't like, apart from maybe the husband.
Speaker 3: But you don't hate him. No, you were just as bad actors.
Speaker 1: It is, you know as well.
Speaker 3: N No, you weren't supposed to like him.
Speaker 1: He's a bit of a.
Speaker 2: Cock, to be honest, And I'm not sure about the idea of Walter basically setting up sending what's her name the daughter Holly or it's Lola. It should have been a clue that maybe she was underage, perhaps transsexual in the song the song Ilita. Actually, Ah, she wasn't under agent, she wasn't transsexual as far as we know.
Speaker 1: As we know, we don't know.
Speaker 9: We're allies, yes, but I'm not sure if I love the idea of Walter sending the Lola and Nino back up, I'm not sure there's a great relationship to begin with.
Speaker 6: Lola can do a lot better. Yes, we did think that the whole time. She can do better than Walter. She can do it, she should. If there was any justice in the world, she would somehow they would invent a time machine and she would get together with Keys when he was younger and it's more age appropriate and they have a long and happy life solving murders and having many.
Speaker 1: Children, Lola and Keys. I would be here for it.
Speaker 6: That no one's ever read, because there needs to be Loler, Keys and a time machine.
Speaker 3: Yes, otherwise it's inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Lola was played by Gene Heather, who was a bit of a start on the rise. Funnily enough, she was in the movie Going My Way, one of my dad's favorite films, which won the Oscar that year, beat really doubling, then doubling. Then he goes to the Oscars, nominated for I Think seven Academy Awards, goes home empty hand. It was the only I think movie that was nominated for an OSCAR that year that went home empty handed. All the other films I won something. Billy Wilder apparently it was in the auditorium was getting pretty pissed off and just seeing.
Speaker 3: All the other teams that Going My Way people.
Speaker 2: The director getting up, and eventually the last time he gets I Think the best film, he trips him. Yes I did read that out in the aisle, and trips him and trips him over which I love and which he got revenge for.
Speaker 6: Apparently when Billy Wilder won it for The Apartment, which is a great film if you've not seen, I loved that film so much.
Speaker 3: Jack Lemon Jack, Well, someone trips up Billy Wilder and he was going.
Speaker 1: To get right.
Speaker 2: I mean that must have been you must have just gone I'm going to put this in the film. So Gene Heather makes about you know another eight also films out the next couple of years and then is in an automobile accident and suffers some facial lacerations and doesn't act again.
Speaker 1: You know, went on, Oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm looking at our IMDb out nothing from nineteen forty nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it a shame.
Speaker 1: It's a shame. You know, probably these days.
Speaker 3: We look at Mark Hamill.
Speaker 6: He had a massive car accident between Star Wars and Empire and they were able to fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you do wonder if it would be different these days.
Speaker 3: But that's that's the injuries.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know back where both footy fans acls used to be career enders. Yeah, Witton Jr. Did his ACL never played again. That's right, it's shame.
Speaker 1: Lolly.
Speaker 2: The Lord does become a very integral part of this story because it is the first time you are going, okay, there is something bigger going on, which you know, when you think about it, of course it was going to get bigger. It's going to be murkier. And yeah, when did you feel like the wheels were beginning to fall off?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: They were never really on. We just we were just led to believe they were. When did they I think I believed Lola as I said, when she said she killed the man, and that's when I was like, oh, hang on, this ain't going well.
Speaker 3: And there was a few times I thought they're going to get away with They're going to get away with it.
Speaker 6: As soon as keyes realizes he never claimed for the broken leg, Yes, you go, and then you remember, oh, hang on, no he's dead at the start, like he's confessing and he's been shot. Of course, something bad's going to happen. Like we're so used to narration in movies that we've forgotten the original scene.
Speaker 3: I wonder. I think this is one of the first films to have a narration.
Speaker 1: I wondered about that.
Speaker 2: And we're so used now with Christopher Nolan and Tarantino playing with time and nonlinear, but this, I wonder how groundbreaking this was in that regard. I mean, Citizen Kane does proceed it, yes, so you know, but even the idea of like such a A lot of actors were put off taking The actors who ended up with the parts weren't the first offered that they A lot of actors are put off by the dark nature of this.
Speaker 6: And that's why I used Rahimon Chandler because he's Billy Wilder's main screenwriter was like, nah, dude, this is Yes is messed up.
Speaker 3: It's very tame by today's stand.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but I think they Billy Wilder's frequent collaborator who you just mentioned, who didn't want to take part. He I think he believed that we are basically publishing a blueprint for murder yes, and they were concerned that this will then inspire a spate of murders.
Speaker 6: And didn't want actor when they originally offered him the lead of Walter Feff say, I'll only do it if you make it that he's an FBI agent the whole time and he's and he's actually busted her and he's a good guy and he wins.
Speaker 3: And No, that would ruin the film. That would just why would you? Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: I think there's a movie also after we make the Lola and Keys movie about the Raymond Chandler and Billy Wilder.
Speaker 3: Really they didn't get along.
Speaker 1: They did not get along in the same way.
Speaker 2: I love the offer on Paramount Plus, which is the making I've not seen that really fun, and also really enjoyed the Citizen Kane behind the scenes about how that was written with David Fincher and made that, and I I think Billy Wilder, who what a fast I must say, I haven't seen much of his work. I was in the apartment, which is great. I want to dive. You've seen actually as well, so I want to dive into more of his work. This seems like a fascinating guy. Raymond Chandler. I haven't read a lot of Raymon Chandler. It's one of the things my wife has.
Speaker 6: And the thing that was one of the things they clashed on is Billy Wilder was a drunk, a womanizer, dressed casually, whereas Raymond Chandler was quite repressed and didn't like his womanizing ways, didn't like his drinking, didn't like him wearing a hat inside.
Speaker 3: We're both wearing hats Raymond would like.
Speaker 6: And he was quite sexually repressed, which is interesting because he's books are all about clearly people who Raymond Chandler wanted to be, these womanizers and hard men.
Speaker 3: So it's quite interesting.
Speaker 6: That it's such an interesting dichotomy between author and character.
Speaker 2: And then apparently when he died, I'm sure that these letters were found, but or certain parties came out and kind of leaked them all or came out and unowned them. But he was having like he had like pen powers's almost like young penpals as like eighteen years old, kind of like almost X rayed kind of you know, basically sexting.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, they the old days. So he take off your panties stuff, tell you's down for me, did half a smemorandum.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they they did not get along.
Speaker 2: And Chandler thought he was his first screenplay and he was new to it, and he kind of just thought, okay, well I'll just go He went home, they met, He went home for the weekend, basically came back with a eighty ninety page screenplay and said, Okay, this is what I've done and Billy Wilders, no, this is not. We were writing this together, so we're going to write it together. You don't go home write the screenplay and then bring it back. And Chandler, I think Billy Wilder thought let's use a lot of the dialogue from the from the book. And there was Raymond Chandler who went, no, I don't think it's going to work. I don't think it's going to work. And Billy wilderlater saw that he was right. It didn't work. So a lot a lot of the book is not really there. The plots still there, but a lot of the writing is Raymond Chandler and great.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is the dialogue that really makes you love the characters and you love the rhythm. It's almost like jazz, the way they take turns in speaking, but keep this sort of fun, aggressive facade. Yes, it's I'm glad that they were able to do that.
Speaker 2: Like you mentioned it, because he was, you know, I love to drink, and Raymond was a bit more straight laced, would like order like deliberately they go to lunch and deliberately order Martiniz just just to annoy him and be like, you know, quite open with his womanizing, just going and rub it in his face.
Speaker 1: It was quite fat.
Speaker 2: And then there's a there's actually like a memorandum where Chandler tried to quit and he had all these reasons that he listed. There's a list, and it was that he Billy White or a baseball cap inside that he once asked for the Venetian blinds to be drawn because the sunlight was coming in and hitting him in the eyes, and Billy Whider asked, asked Raymond Chandler, but he did not say please, and that and that was like the straw that broke the camel's back.
Speaker 1: I have had enough.
Speaker 2: But in the end, like they see, like Wilder does praise Chandler for the writing and his ability. They got there, But I'm not exactly sure in the end, were they on speaking terms afterwards or.
Speaker 6: I wonder how Chandler felt about the ending, because they filmed another ending and then Billy Wyler said no, let's finish at the second last scene because there was supposed to be. We see FB executed in the gas chamber, which you don't see much in films. Usually it's a noose or a shooting execution. I'm not even sure how gas chamber works, but I'm glad and it was with keys watching him die, and ultimately you watched him die in the second last scene, so I think that's it is a much better ending. But I wonder if Chandler was annoyed by that.
Speaker 2: I completely agree because the story is based on a real life court case. Oh really yeah, a woman and her and her lover and basically the whole story. I'm not sure about the actual plan. I don't think the plan was the same, but it was a famous case. And then when they went to the gas chamber, somebody from I think that either the New York Times or the New Yorker rigged a like a camera somehow and think about these on iPhone, but somehow rigged like a camera through the pan of the leg and took a photo of I'm not sure he was the man of the woman being being executed and like, and that went on the front page of a newspaper. Like the actual moment, I've been like, you know, the body is going to be a bit blurry and like literally being being executed, and is considered one of the most kind of controversial and startling photos of the antony.
Speaker 3: As shocking as that is, I know, I'm going to look for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a card part of me, and I know it's on Reddit and I'll yeah, I'll have a look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was taking sings in prison.
Speaker 6: And even that's like quite jarring it in a modern thing of that you get a death sentence and they're all just fine with it. Yeah, like these days, that's just unheard of to to you know, sure, he committed a murder, but dude, yeah, you said he is in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I remember it's being at school and having debates, you know, in class about you know, about.
Speaker 3: We should introduced the death penalty. It's a classic high school debate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: And it felt like, you know, I went to school in the eighties and early nineties. It then fell like that far away from when we were doing it in Victoria, like it was, you know, I think.
Speaker 6: So Harrold Bryan Ronald Ryan Ronald Ryan was last nineteen sixty seventy yees, you know, like we're talking like fifteen twenty years you know when I started school, and so it didn't seem like ancient history.
Speaker 1: It felt like something reasonably recent.
Speaker 2: Now it's now now it feels like a mediaso barbaric Yeah. Yeah, and I've always been against it, but it was it was one of those classic kinds of high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And when I went, I was in year eate when Port Arthur happened, So that was always the main crux of the debate.
Speaker 3: And you know it's ultimately, should we kill Martin Bryant.
Speaker 1: Next week? You aint nothing yet.
Speaker 2: We were doing nit Trapman in the cham I remember, well that movie was called let's uh this is uh working backwards again a little bit. But let's have a little listen to when Walter agrees to this plan, because he does resist to begin with, and then he finally comes to I hate him.
Speaker 7: I love going back to him. You believe me, don't you, Walter? I can't stand it anymore? What if they did hang me?
Speaker 8: They're not going to hang out, baby, It's good than going on this way.
Speaker 4: They're not going to hang it because you're going to do it, and I'm going.
Speaker 7: To help you do you know what you're saying.
Speaker 8: Sure, I know what I'm saying. We're gonna do it, and we're going to do it right. Well, I'm gonna go the knows how what are you hurting me? There's not going to be any slipper, nothing sloppy, nothing weak.
Speaker 1: It's going to be perfect.
Speaker 2: What did you make of his I mean, he's basically just got a herd one for which which.
Speaker 3: She's gorgeous, and she's she's charming, and.
Speaker 2: Let's face it, a lot of the times when you hear about these kind of you know, plans, that's what it begins in the pants.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, you know.
Speaker 6: Everything begins in the pants, literally, life pants, The Big Bang pants.
Speaker 1: Everything comes down the pants.
Speaker 6: Well, one thing that's interesting is he went for the double indemnity. You know, it's the name of the movie. What if surely there was other easier ways he got greedy? Yeah, and this is the Greek tragedy thing. If he'd gone for a more believable, easier to cover up murder, then but there had to be on the train. Yeah, and it had to be you know, not a murder on the train, to be an accident on the train. This is so, that's the Greek tragedy. He flew too close to the sun.
Speaker 1: Icarus and Phyllis is offered like a settlement.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: She could have taken it, could have taken it and deal or no deal. A hundred thousand dollars in today's money's two million.
Speaker 6: Yes, So one little thing that annoyed me as a member of whatever generation. I am just a young person, forty year old. In twenty twenty three. He talks about these houses in this massive mansion would have cost someone thirty thousand dollars, thirty dollars, and that would be worth eighty ber jillion dollars.
Speaker 1: It really would be. Yeah, it is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Also, let's listen when keys the first time he starts smelling a rat.
Speaker 1: We speak about it earlier, but let's have it.
Speaker 2: Listen at the great able Joe Robinson that we are newly minted fans of.
Speaker 1: Let's have let's do it's on your mind?
Speaker 4: A broken leg? The guy had a broken leg. What are you talking about? Talking about Ditrichson? He had accident insurance, didn't he?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And he broke his leg, didn't he?
Speaker 7: So what?
Speaker 5: And he didn't put an acclaim? Why didn't he put an a claim?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 4: What are you driving here? What I had dinner two hours ago? And this stuck halfway so many years is acting up again?
Speaker 5: There's something wrong with the Dietrichson case.
Speaker 4: Or because he didn't file a claim. Maybe he just didn't have time.
Speaker 5: Maybe he just didn't know that he was insured. No, No, that couldn't be it. You would deliver the policy to impersonally, didn't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He got his check, Sure I did. Had anybody come in Minnesota?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I haven't.
Speaker 5: I've been living with this little man for twenty six years.
Speaker 4: He's never failed me.
Speaker 7: Yet.
Speaker 4: There's got to be something wrong. Or maybe Norton was right. Maybe it was suicide.
Speaker 5: No, not suicide, but not an accident either.
Speaker 4: What else I look, Walder, a guy.
Speaker 5: Takes out an accident policy. It's worth one hundred thousand dollars if he's skilled on the train, And two weeks later he's skilled on the train and not in the train accident mind too, but falling off some silly observation car. Do you know what the mathematical probability of that is? One out of oh, I don't know how many vidions. And after that the broken leg, well, it just it just can't be the way it looks.
Speaker 4: Something has been worked.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is the fun of the film to see Walter kind of backed into a corner, almost quite literally backed into a corner when when that witness comes and he's trying to look, he almost recognized him.
Speaker 1: And that's that's a lot of fun too. And to see him play this to his you know, to his like he said, father figure.
Speaker 6: So when he was on the train in front of the witness, he kept his back to him the whole time, and this actually annoyed me. In the scene when the witness is looking at he kept turning away from him, like no, no, he knows that here is your back in front.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: There's a moment in that clip we just listen to when he says, you know, oh no, no, that couldn't have been it like unless he unless when.
Speaker 6: You delivered the contract to him yourself, yes, which didn't happen, Which didn't happen.
Speaker 2: So I just wonder did was the little man in his gut just kind of wish bring to him at that stage. It's just like there's almost a moment where I feel like, even if he's not acknowledging it completely, but it's the first time he may have thought is something part of this?
Speaker 3: But no, no, no, you're like a son.
Speaker 6: And and as Walter says at the start and at the end, the reason you couldn't catch me is I was too He says. It's a beautiful line. It's one of the last lines of the film. You couldn't catch me because I was right under your nose. And he goes, you are even closer than that. Yeah, and he says, I love you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's let's have a listen, right, that's it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, no, no, no, you haven't spoiled the Let's have a listen the way this plays out. So this is there in the office, he's trying to get the Mexico with a a gunshot.
Speaker 3: You won't even make it to the elevator.
Speaker 1: Even make it to the elevator.
Speaker 4: How you doing. Somebody moved the elevator. The miss away, they run away.
Speaker 10: You know why you couldn't figure this one, Keys, I'll tell you because the guy who are looking forwards too close, right across the desk from you, closer than that.
Speaker 8: I love you too.
Speaker 1: Here we go. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, films don't really end that way anymore, with just the climax.
Speaker 2: No, I've spoken about it in a bit on the podcast. Those seventies films do it as well, and in films from the forties. You get in and get out and there's something my jaws. They catch the shark. They don't even get back to the short to kind of say, hey, we caught the shark and they killed the shark and it's over done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was an eighties or nineties film.
Speaker 6: We would see probably Keys at the funeral, and if they really mismanaged it, there would then be bloopers during the credits and that maybe just you know, Keys went on to solve many crimes, and and just what happened to every character and and maybe all the all the cart singing and dancing to whatever pop hits they were with Will Smith wrapping the storyline.
Speaker 1: That will be the Rema the Keys and the version.
Speaker 6: What would be the worst remake of This is a game I play with my wife when we watch old films.
Speaker 3: World's worst remake.
Speaker 6: So you read and actually you I will admit I listened to the Kaza Blanker episode with Nikki Britten and you talked about Madonna and Ashton Kutcher, and that is I generally thought you've been eavesdropping on my conversations.
Speaker 3: That's the sort of thing we would say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was true, that they try to make that happen. Yeah, okay. I think if I'm badly recasting this movie in the role of Walter and I un necessarily dislike this, I'm actually quite a fan of this person, and he's in a quiet taste I've.
Speaker 1: Learnt over the years.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I would have thought everyone liked him, but I reckon Owen Wilson is like wow, yeah, great, because I think the idea of this game is quick.
Speaker 1: If I'm wrong. Is to make it believable.
Speaker 6: Yes, oh yeah, you can't just you can't just say giants, yeah, Brian Naylor. Yeah, you can't have Mark Jacko Jackson playing every single role. Yes, it has to be like Owen Wilson. I was going to suggest Ryan Reynolds but playing in it a very Ryan reynoldsy way.
Speaker 3: But Owen Wilson is better.
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent, So I've got Owen Wilson Phyllis.
Speaker 6: We can't go Madonna because you were already used to. That's the other rule of the g You do five films and you can't reuse the same person. Lindsay Lowan perfect, yes, very nice, Yes, Lindsay Lowan and Wilson.
Speaker 1: Wilson, and Keys is played by I mean Bob Hoskins is the obvious best. Good. That's a good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's great.
Speaker 6: Works now, and I think we need someone of a person of color here because Hollywood and we need to we need to mix this up here.
Speaker 3: So who's in? Oh, Kevin Hart?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Kevin Hart, like that is. But it's a perfectly well considered bad casting of this film.
Speaker 1: And Lola played.
Speaker 6: Surely a Kardashian can come in here, or some sort of a reality TV person that they're trying to boost a film career with.
Speaker 2: Yes, or even like maybe we rework age, can't we like like a Nicole Richie Yeah at the right age. Yeah, we've got a time machine. Yeah, and Nino is is played behave well.
Speaker 6: The rock has to be in everything. Problems is too, and he's got to be an unlikable character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kevin Hart with a mustache and a patch.
Speaker 2: Lilis Gusman. It's a fun game. It's the fun is trying to make.
Speaker 6: It like you can actually conceive, Yes, a Hollywood person pitching.
Speaker 2: This and getting it through. Mate, This podcast comes with homework. I really appreciate you watching a doubling them toy. I'm stoked we got into this one because I hadn't seen it as well, and I am jumping into I'm going to rewatch even the Apartment and SUTs A Boulevard again just to kind of because I watched them, you know, when I was going through my let's watch the classic kind of films.
Speaker 1: But I'd love to revisit them.
Speaker 3: Good fun. It's really great.
Speaker 6: I recommend that to anyway if you just want a fun light film like Sunset Boulevard, you're in for some trauma, which you are with a lot of the IMDb Top two fifty, but apart and it's just a good fun Yeah, and a lot of these.
Speaker 3: I would love to see his live place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Double Indemnity, I'm pretty sure people have done it as a play. Yeah, that's something I would love to watch.
Speaker 1: It'd be a fun one.
Speaker 2: I think that actually the two leads came back and did it as a radio play.
Speaker 6: It was that later on I did see it came out as a radio plane. I wonder if they'd just used dialogue from the film. I think they came back and did remake it as a telemovie. But the only name I recognized in there was Lee, the guy from one of the Twelve Angry Men was as Keys.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was just shown on CBS once.
Speaker 2: And there was a mistake in the film where Fred McMurray's wedding ring is visible in quite a few scenes. I'm not sure how that makes it pass, you know in the actor the actor listen, I've probably have been on set before and realized I my wedding ring, but taking them off before we shot a scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've switched it to the other hand.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, okay, so it's a good stand Week is wearing a wig. I didn't pick that, not at all. I've read about this last night and.
Speaker 3: They're saying it's terrible, but it looks good.
Speaker 2: I mean, I probably don't know Barbarston MC enough to kind of maybe I had seen many of her films. I would have picked it, Yeah, but I didn't. Apparently there's some scenes where Barbara thought it looks ridiculous, but she's fantastic. She's really good.
Speaker 6: We're talking about all the other like, yeah, there's no weak link except for Edward Norton. Yeah, but those like I genuinely think Vivian Lee is not a great actor, but she won multiple Academy Awards, but she's always very theatrical Hammy almost whereas I thought Phyllis was really played it right to.
Speaker 3: The line but never went over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the film Fatale is so such an important maybe the most important ingredient definitely in a film noir. And yeah, there are times when I'm like, oh, no, I think she's It wasn't until I think what we mentioned earlier, the Lola going to keys and kind of going even though, like you know, you know, movies such an amazing job. It's tricking us, erasing our everything we know about movies when we sit down to watch a movie.
Speaker 6: Yes, they get rid of the little man inside us. Yeah, we just go, oh, yeah, she's all right, Yeah, she's all right, she seems she's fine. Now she's really good in this. Yeah, you're right, we haven't prop her up enough. Everyone's good except Edward Norton. But it's a really well acted movie. And that's something that Billy Wilder. He can get a performance out of almost anyone. There's there's you, and you go along with the ride for them. Like Fred McMurray plays one of the villains in the apartment. Yeah, but yeah, you're on side.
Speaker 1: You'd never be with him.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, wouldn't let let him date my sister.
Speaker 1: But no, maybe one of his sons, you know, not a dad.
Speaker 6: What was the My Three Sons is one of those sitcoms that was always on when rained in the cricket, so you just watched it begrudgingly. So it was it was like half the Brady Bunch, but there's only the boys, yes, and there's three sons. Did they have differing personalities.
Speaker 2: I don't have the same memory of my three sons. I have the memory of it at the school kind of thing as well. Yeah, I remember the theme song was just a saxophone. Yeah, my three sons. And then and in the same way leave at the Beaver, you'd watch a bit of Leave at the Beaver. Yeah, but I don't have the same I watch a lot of Brady Bunch, a lot of Happy Days, you know, happy to have a long conversation about those ones. My three sons didn't leave that much of an impresion. It was watchable, watchable.
Speaker 3: Do you know.
Speaker 6: Occasionally I'm still one of the few people who watch Free to Wear TV. Never the main channels unless I'm watching footy or sport at all, but I love on nine Gem if I get home at one in the morning. I occasionally come across something like My Favorite Martian, which I never saw growing up, But I just watched this old sitcom.
Speaker 3: And I love it because he's just he's a Martian.
Speaker 6: But the only reason we know that is he speaks with a slightly wacky accent.
Speaker 2: But it's it's Yeah, I'd love to see somebody do a really good studio sitcom again.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yes, I missed those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think people are getting good at kind of going okay in the same way you speak about arm Again, this exists in this world, and I'm going to tilt my brain to kind of go. This is not trying to be as realistic as an hour procedural might be or an hour you know drama. This is not trying to be succession. This is trying to be a new Seinfeld or Friends or whatever it might be.
Speaker 6: I think the last sitcom with the laugh track and all that that I kind of like.
Speaker 3: I liked How I Met Your Mother? That was that was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about how Im because I never saw the start of it. I was never sure who was narrating and who and what was going on and who who am I supposed to be?
Speaker 3: Who are the good? I mean it ended terribly.
Speaker 6: I mean one of my favorite subjects of conversation is TV shows that have ended badly, And yeah, How I Met Your Mother did not stick the landing. The most famous one for depressing is do you remember the Wacky Huppet show Dinosaurs? Which was a Jim like ninety three, So you're probably just out of high school and going off and living your life. But it was it was a big craze in nineteen ninety three Jim Henson's Dinosaurs and it was like a family sitcom.
Speaker 3: But they're all puppet dinosaurs.
Speaker 6: And you know there was the dad who works a job and honey, I'm home, and you know his wife was the housewife and they had two point three kids. Anyway, the final it's all wacky and fun and for kids and everything. The final episode is a meteorites coming. We're all going to die, and they just accept their fate. And the last shot is they're all hugging as a shadow comes down.
Speaker 3: It's so depressing.
Speaker 2: I can understand why that would that would be in the last episode of a show about dinosaurs. But maybe maybe make them stave off yeah the media, or.
Speaker 3: Be like inglorious Barstons. Change the history of.
Speaker 2: The world, Revisit revision, a couple of fun facts we didn't quite get to.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm distracting you a lot with sitcom chat.
Speaker 2: No, this podcast is all about getting distracted. Going on tangents, and I think they added one more. There was some war rashing going on because the World War two was going on, so the scenes at the Department store. Paramount actually had police in the store to make sure nobody stole any food.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's I love that.
Speaker 1: It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 6: It would it would be like, yeah, if you tried to make a movie during the Corona pandemic and there was a scene where there was a lot of toilet paper.
Speaker 2: Hang on extras yea not allowed that get back and a final one. We got most of our fun facts within that conversation. But there's a Raymond Chandler cameo in the film about sixteen minutes in. He's seen reading a newspaper.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It always annoys me on IMDb when that trivia is high up.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there'd be. The tribute is interesting because you've gotta like.
Speaker 6: It's ranked by how many people have found it interesting, and I usually get about a third of the way down and then I just scroll to the bottom where there's spoilers, and then it gets interesting again.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and because then there's some that it's like and this movie is the favorite of words glooney is I don't really need.
Speaker 3: To Yeah that frown.
Speaker 6: McMurray once saw a film with another character called Barbara in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll just keep moving. But hey, I want to plug you got some show coming up. He did a really fun show a little while back. Shakespeare Alien Yes, Shakespeare Aliens.
Speaker 6: It was the film Aliens redone as a Shakespearean tragedy at last, finally whatever, And I got to play Carter Burke, the Paul Riser character. I got to be a villain. I hadn't done a proper theatrical play before. And there's like, you know, getting big laughs in stand up is satisfying. When the crowd cheers your death, you feel, yes, I nailed it. But yeah, we're now doing Shakespeare Ghostbusters. This opening this Halloween at the Motley brow House in Melbourne. I think we're going to tour it after that. And yeah, this is a.
Speaker 3: Lot of fun. And I've you know, I'm pretty new to acting.
Speaker 6: And but when the director said I'd like you to audition for the part of Peter Venkman, wow, I genuine went sorry.
Speaker 3: Just get your bleat railway.
Speaker 7: Fuck God, just.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite characters in cinema forever.
Speaker 2: What a phone call to get Shakespeare Ghostbusters tickets? These are available, You're available, fantastic. Where do you get your tickets? From great question. We'll put a link up in the socials. We'll put a link up and we'll have all the information. But I'm sure if you were to google Shakespeare ghost Busters. I always want a fundy when we plug stuff, and there's always like, yeah, we can pet with tickets from It's like people can find you know, even know how computers work, people know how to google. Yeah, Shakespeare Ghostbusters. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: The people promoting the AFL Grand Final and to like ticketmaster dot com dot au slash AFL slash Grand Dash Final DASHMLF.
Speaker 2: Grandfather and they've got twenty thousand, And I said, what happened, Oh, we didn't put the link up, lardy.
Speaker 1: Hell, no one knew how.
Speaker 2: To get there tickets downy, Thanks so much for doing this, mate. That was a great chat. I love watching this film. And yeah, good luck with Shakespeare Ghostbusters.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Absolute pleasure. Go dogs, go byes.
Speaker 1: There there.
Speaker 2: It is the theme song for my three sons. I remember being that good. To be honest, I have vague memories of it. But there was a likability about Fred mc murray in that role, and there's a likability about the movie we just watched Double Indemnity.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I hope you enjoyed that chat about it, and like we said, go check out more Billy Wilder Films will be covering him more Sunset, Boulevard, the Apartment. Check them out. He is an absolute gun. If he's not on your radar, you'll thank us later.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Thanks Danny McGinlay for coming in doing his homework. Is a cinophile. I love having every episode feels a bit different. Sometimes people come and they yeah, they like movies and necessarily deep diving to them some more deep divers. Dan, He's obviously a bit of a deep diver. So that was great fun, really great fun. Thank you for your support of this podcast. You can send us an email he has any podcasts at gmail dot com. Also, go to the iTunes store and give us a rating. I recommend five stars and leave a comment. We do read them all. We appreciate it, we really do. And of course by doing this it just helps the algorithm get this podcast out to more and more people. I'm on a little bit of a break at the moment, so a couple of episodes coming up well, like the Cool Flashback episodes. Previous episodes done that I really enjoyed, that I might that you may or may not have missed coming up, and then the season will continue after that. Next week on the show, the wonderful Myth Warhurst will be joining me. If you're listening to this as it comes out, you can be seen as the narrator in the rocky horror picture show Myth. We all love Myth, who doesn't love me for hers? She's amazing and she's doing the much loved classic movie starring Augie Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffany's. I love this chat. Myth is so smart and insightful and there's a real pleasure chained to her about this particular film. Until then, take care and I'll see you very soon.
Speaker 1: And so we leave
Speaker 2: All Pete save man soul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.