Speaker 1: This is Outspoken. The podcast is not afraid to say exactly what you're thinking.
Speaker 2: Our names are Amy Kate and Sophie Torba.
Speaker 1: We're identical triplets, but we often don't have identical opinions, so sometimes things can get heated. Outspoken covers all things reality TV, influences, entertainment, and issues facing women. That is so fetch Thank you, welcome back to Outspoken. Now, I can't quite believe what I'm seeing on Instagram at the moment of what I have just seen. So Sophie Kasha has just shed an Instagram story of her partner Mattie Garrick playing a recording in slow mo of her parts back to Sophie Kation. Now, I think that that signifies true love that Sophie is happy.
Speaker 2: To sit there and listen to that.
Speaker 1: So what's the context of this insta story? Why is she playing back her farts? There is no context, no context whatsoever. She is just something she enjoys doing. She enjoyed recording her farts and then she wanted to go on show.
Speaker 2: So see just proud of them.
Speaker 1: I suppose I actually have a friend who downloaded an app on their phone and it's the one where you can hear how many times you wake up in the night. So basically, if you make any sound in your sleep, like snoring or whatever, it starts recording.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Use it to see if they sleep. Talk to this friend of mine, she recorded it and it picked up her husband doing the loudest, most disgusting fart you've ever heard, and it was the funniest thing. Ever. It's just so foreign to me because I feel like that's something that you want to hide from your partner. Like I feel like a lot of women go out of their way not to far in front of their partner, so to record it and then send it directly to them, it just sounds insane to me. See to me, I actually think it's a sign that you're very comfortable around someone and that you've reached this new level of intimacy. I mean, I think the recording of it and the playing back in slow mode is a little bit much for me, and I would have no interest in hearing Brandon playback is fast. Do you know what, though, I can see the side of the fart being in slow mo, because if it's just like it is pretty funny, but probably not something i'd be showing to Dale.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 3: Was that a fight?
Speaker 4: I can teast it, Okay, I'll be honest with you. I did it so onion, onion and onion and ketchup.
Speaker 1: It's six Kayla, It's Cenis has unveiled her new boyfriend, just two weeks after her ex Toby Pierce went public with his new fitness influencer girlfriend Rachel Dylan Amy can you tell us more? Kayla shared a photo of her and her new partner, Jay Woodroff to her nearly fourteen million Instagram followers on Friday morning, and the pair looked very loved.
Speaker 2: Up in the photo. They had big smiles. Actually, everyone was commenting on just.
Speaker 1: How white their teeth looked as well, and in the caption, Kayla wrote, meet Jay everyone, my best friend for years and now partner.
Speaker 2: For all those people.
Speaker 1: Replying into my story saying you look really happy, thank you.
Speaker 2: I am so.
Speaker 1: The relationship comes as no surprise, with Kayla and Jay already papped many times in Adelaide, and while it's the first time Kayla has shared a photo of her new boyfriend on her public Instagram account, Jay has shared quite a few.
Speaker 2: The first one was back.
Speaker 1: On November twenty eight, twenty twenty one, with Kayla cuddling into him while posing in sunglasses, and Jay also shared a real of the couple's holiday to Sydney and nooser So at the time of recording, Jay has attracted around eight thousand new followers, and he's already added the initials ki with a love heart into his bio on Instagram. Can I just say her previous boyfriend for two seconds? Mitch? He also had Kayla's initials in his bio. It kind of reminds me of that very teenage thing where you've got to make sure that your girlfriend's initials are in your bill, keep them happy.
Speaker 2: Do you have Brandon's initials? I feel like that's something that you guys would do. No, I don't at all. I did not have that.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's the cooler version of Facebook official. I actually don't know if it is the cool thing to do. I feel like it's very high school. But if it's kind of possessive, like this person is mine, I feel like it's.
Speaker 2: A real new love thing.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not going to go and put Dale's initials in mind, But if you've just got a new boyfriend. You're probably like, Oh, I'm excited to put his initials in. They definitely are very loved up on Instagram because they've also created a couple's account called It's Jayla Here, and it appears they're going to be posting a lot of content from their upcoming holiday to the US, because Jay did announce on his Instagram on Friday that it's seven days until the couple jet sets off to the US. I'm assuming for some type of boot camp with Kayla. Do you reckon that this holiday is the reason that they're going public with the relationship or do you think it more has to do with the fact that Toby and Rachel are getting so much attention over their relationship. Well, the timing was interesting, as you said, because it was only two weeks ago that Toby Pierce debuted his new girlfriend, Rachel Dylan. So perhaps it was seeing how well that news was received that Kayla thought, oh, stuff it, I might as well go public with my partner that I've had for a while. Kayla's mum also got into the action. She put up a post saying, welcome to the family. Jay, you make my daughter smile, So I like you so kay I want to hear all the juicy details you've uncovered, because you've done a bit of digging. Yeah. Well, I want to set the scene because we have spoken about Kayla and Jay before on the podcast. But for those who don't know, as reported on the podcast and also several news publications, Kayler and her now boyfriend Jay used to be neighbors in Malvin. And for those who were listening that aren't from Adelaide, that is a suburb in Adelaide. It is. We're not trying to say Melbourne. We had a listener a couple of weeks ago, say, you say Melbourne's so funny, So it's Malvin. Does it actually think a suburb?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Don't they have Maulvin in Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So yeah, said a little bit differently in Melbourne. So Jay was living in Malvin with his girlfriend of five years, Lauren Beletti, and Kayler and her then boyfriend Mitch even went on a couple's holiday with Jay and Lauren to Queensland in May twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: However, just months.
Speaker 1: Later, Kayla and Jay appeared to have started dating, and while Lauren no longer follows Jay and Kayla on Instagram, she and Kayla's ex Mitch are still friends, so Mitch even commented on the post Lauren shared about moving house in December, writing congrats mate, you deserve this win with a thumbs up emoji.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Another one of Lauren's friends wrote on the post, look at you. So proud of everything you've achieved. Can't wait to celebrate many more achievements. Even though August was your hardest month, you were still able to achieve this. Love you boo now. I just thought it was very telling the timeline of this August was really hard for you because I'm guessing that's when Jay broke up with Lauren, and it just shows how sort of close the timelines are in relation to the holiday that the couples went on. I mean, there's only a few months where all of this happened and everything sort of imploded. But it's important to note that Kayla's grandfather of all people, has confirmed on Instagram last week that there was no infidelity involved in this new love match. Now is literally the best account I've seen on Instagram, and John created the account on the eighteenth of January and he's already got over twenty two thousand followers. So if anyone is looking for a laugh, I highly recommend you go follow the account which is called it Cina's Family. Now it's quite clear that Kayla or her sister Leah is running the account. They have denied it. However, I would put my money on the fact that it's one of them, and I really liked seeing this side of Kayler or Leah's personality because it's bloody funny. They're all taking the piss out of each other. And they even did a Q and A as John, So he set the records straight on his granddaughter's relationship in the Q and A. So when asked how Kayla met her new boyfriend, John wrote, so glad I can clear this mess up. Jay and Kayler were best friends for years. It was Kayla, Jay and Steve three idiots, both had partners, both split with their partners, and later got together. Having been best friends for years, it was easy to accept Jay into the family because he had already been part of it as Kayla's best friend. The variation to this story is a lie slash guest might drop and so. John's Instagram account also includes a post with a blurb about each family member, including Jay. So John said, Jay is secretly German, pretending to be an Aussie and rocks up to my house every month with a new car. He also said that he makes an effort to come over every day to have a coffee with him and his wife Angela. Now I thought it was quite entertaining because someone asked, when did you realize you liked Jay, and the grandfather replied with some vision of Jay killing a spider with cooking spray and lighting it on fire. See for me, I'm not like the Estina's grandfather. That puts me off. I don't like to hear that people lighting bugs on fire. I get told off by Brandon all the time because Brandon grew up in the country, so he and his family hate insects like most people.
Speaker 2: And I save spiders.
Speaker 1: And I saved them all because I'm a vegetarian except mosquitos.
Speaker 2: I kill mosquitos.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well, what did you guys think about the scrutiny around and Jay's relationship?
Speaker 2: Did you think it was fair?
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not surprised that there has been so much interest in their relationship and so many rumors surrounding it, because obviously they both had partners so close together, and also the fact that Kayla and Jay's girlfriend were friends, and I feel like a lot of people talk in Adelaide.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of wild rumors going around. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: It is a pretty complex situation, particularly for the fact that it does appear that Kayla did befriend Lauren at some point, and obviously there is some contention whether she was friends with Jay first. However, I think a lot of people are reacting to it because it kind of breaks a bit of girl coade because generally, if you're friends with someone, you don't date their partner, so, you know, any sort of speculation of cheating aside, I think there was always going to be rumors about this relationship, and I'm interested to see if Lauren does come out and say something at one point, because she has remained very quiet on the issue. Yeah, And the thing is, it's really awkward because when you look back at Lauren's Instagram account, she has a lot of photos still up with Jay, and Kayla has commented on the photos, you know, little love hearts or just comments like great photo, And when you look at that, it's really awkward. But the thing is, I actually feel for everyone in this situation. Because Kayla's family have said there was no cheating involved, they were friends and both parties were split up from their partners, so it's really hard to judge because it would be a hard situation. We've got to remember that Kayla was with her partner for eight years, and it sounds like her and Jay were friends for a long time. So there is that awkward thing where maybe you've had a secret crush on someone but they've got a partner and your past don't seem to match up, and maybe in this instance, it was that occasion where hey, they were suddenly both found themselves single. I just think it's awkward with the timeline, considering that they all had gone on a couple's holiday a couple of months before the breakup happened. That's the thing I feel like it is the foundations for really great relationship, the fact that they have been best friends for so many years. They obviously have a lot of respect for one another, and it is really nice to see them both looking so happy together. Just to wrap things up, it's quite interesting because Kayla's ex, Mitch, who was never hard launched on her profile, actually hard launched his new relationship with his girlfriend on January twenty, so it was quite a busy time for this Love Square in terms of announcing relationships. As for Kayla's ex Toby, it's reported he has just purchased a five point three million dollar penthouse apartment in Adelaide. The apartment has five bedrooms, four bathrooms, with the rooftop entertaining area featuring a built in barbecue wood, five peaks, oven, spa and bar entire Channel four news team I'm Veronica Corningstone and I'm Ron Burgundy.
Speaker 4: Go fuck yourself, San Diego.
Speaker 1: Slickstick owner Mia Pleasick has announced her boyfriend Justin Borg is an official endorsed candidate for Melbourne in the upcoming federal election for Clive Palmer's United Party, Amy, can you tell us a little bit more about Mia plasic So. Mia is an entrepreneur and influencer who we've discussed a few times on the podcast. She has seventy five thousand followers on TikTok and sixteen point six on Instagram. So during the pandemic, Mia launch Slickstick, which is a hair one designed to keep stray hairs in place. So MIA's quite controversial. She's been accused of being anti lockdown after she posted a video of herself attending the first Freedom Rallies in Melbourne. So In the video, she shared vision of the sea of protesters with the caption what the media won't show you Thirty thousand Victorians protesting for their rights for freedom. Mia has also been accused of being anti vax after she shared on her Instagram story that she would not be bribed into getting the vaccination with.
Speaker 2: The lure of travel.
Speaker 1: Her follower asked her in a Q and A if she will get the vaccine if it's a prerequisite to travel. Mia responded saying no, I'll pay a black market doctor to sign my COVID pass. What if I have to, I don't give a fuck. I'll go as far as I need. Nobody will bribe me to jab poison in my body in order to be free. Mia then back down and she changed her chin completely, saying what I choose to do or not to do with my body is nobody's business.
Speaker 2: So now that we know Mia, who is her boyfriend?
Speaker 1: Well, Justin describes himself as a thirty two year old entrepreneur. Now he released an extensive video explaining his political standpoint and policies, but didn't really explain his background in business thus far, so I did a bit of digging now. Apparently Justin completed an event management and marketing degree. He also previously worked as a caravan salesman before starting a dating app in twenty seventeen called spot It on LinkedIn. It also says he is an investor for a Melbourne startup now similar to Mia, Justin has been very critical across his social media about the lockdowns and also the vaccine. He has shared numerous Instagram stories of himself at freedom protests, writing captions like you can stick the vaccine up your ass. He also wrote so proud we are finally standing up to this dictatorship. He also shared a meme saying that he would fly privately to avoid any vaccine mandates now. Last week, Miya shared a photo of Justin standing in front of a United Party sign that said vote for Freedom. In the post, she wrote, so proud of you, just the official endorsed candidate for Melbourne in the upcoming federal election for the United Party. Your passion for this country's freedom is commendable if you're in the Melbourne electorate and want to help with his upcoming campaign get in touch, and then she tagged his Instagram handle. She finished the post by hashtagging hottest politician ever. Now I'm going to get a little bit ross Gelli here for a moment, because this comment from mea was very difficult to read out because not only did she spell electorate incorrectly, she also used the incorrect plural for countries and also did not put an apostrophe in there. You'd think with this sort of post, you would want to get the spelling right so that you're taken seriously, we're talking about posts. Justin also shared the news on his social media saying never in a million years did he think he'd ever get into politics. However, he can no longer sit back and let this country suffer anymore. He finished by saying everyone needs the freedom of choice and I'm ready to fight for all Australians. Justin then shared a lengthy twenty two minute video talking about his common sense approach to politics and after watching it, I literally want the twenty two minutes back of my life now.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: He thinks there should be a rule that politicians must have done another career or run a business before getting into politics. He said, so many simply get out of UNI and go straight into politics and have no life experience. He said that while he is not book smarts, he is street smarts.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of politicians these days have just cave shout out of UNI. He always wanted to be at being politics, you know, start off as a staffer or a volunteer, and then work their way up the ranks where they haven't really had real life experience. For me, you know, like going to union's great, but then getting thrown into the defense just to be a politician. It's just, you know, there should be some sorts of rules where politicians have to have done other careers around businesses or something like that to get some real world experience rather than just being book smart. I'm a book smart, I'm straet smart, I'm a problem solve but I'm business smart. You know, we are a lot of these politicians just make decisions for their political career, their points to roar inability rather than you know, what's right for the people.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out here that while there are a certain number of politicians who go straight into politics from union work in those junior roles because they are so passionate about it. There are many who have had careers before getting into politics. I mean you just have to think of Julia Gillard and Malcolm Turnbull who had very successful careers in law before getting into politics.
Speaker 2: Even the essay.
Speaker 1: Premier Stephen Marshall used to run his father's furniture store, So I think it's a bit naive to say that no politicians have experience in running a business or having a career before politics. I think what he was really trying to do here is target Dan Andrews. He has been vile towards Dan Andrews. He continually calls him dictateord Dan, and I just find his whole stance very puzzling because he wants to be elected for this position, but having a look at what he actually stands for, it's all just in regards to COVID. There aren't many other areas he seems to be passionate about. Because he went on to explain that he only looked at the United Parties policy when he was applying for the position, which.
Speaker 2: I thought was pretty strange.
Speaker 1: Why would you apply to be a candidate for a party when you aren't even aware of their policies In the first place, because he wants to jump up and down and complain about vaccine mandates. Clearly now, Justin listed on Instagram the thirteen things he'd love to see happen if he was elected, and unfortunately the spelling errors continued. He wrote that he would push for a Royal communism into vaccine safety, and that was very awkward because he of course meant to write Royal Commission.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Luckily, someone in the comments section pointed out to him and he swiftly changed the spelling. He also said he'd like to end vaccine men have no vaccine passport, reform media and big tech censorship, and give rapid tests to all Australians. He also said he would lift bands on de register doctors who spoke against the government's narrative. The list just went on and on about COVID. I think the only policy I could really get around was that he wants Australia to become a more pet friendly nation. So basically he doesn't stand for anything except pets and COVID.
Speaker 2: Yep, pretty much pretty much.
Speaker 1: This seems very reminiscent of when Nick Russian was running for the mayor of Melbourne and he got all these social media influences to drum up.
Speaker 2: Votes for him.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like Mia has a big enough following for this to work for Justin. I mean, it didn't work for Nick Russian either. I think they just need to stick to the slicksticks, the dating apps, whatever they want to create.
Speaker 2: Know your Place.
Speaker 3: Oh and by the way, why are you?
Speaker 4: Apostrophe are means you are? Why do you are? Means your?
Speaker 1: Jamie Lin Spears's reputation is in tatters after appearing on popular podcasts Call Her Daddy to I wrote her new memoir Things I Should Have Said. Many of questioned whether the hit podcast should have given Jamie Lynn a platform, with many calling to cancel Call Her Daddy Now.
Speaker 3: Amy.
Speaker 2: It seems like the timing of.
Speaker 1: The interview hasn't been well received by the public and it has.
Speaker 2: Led to a lot of backlash. Yeah, it really has.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Jamie Lynn's Call Her Daddy interview ed just a few months after Brittany was finally freed from her much publicized thirteen year conservativeship, and many people believe it was a bad move for Jamie Lynn to release her book so soon after.
Speaker 2: News of the conservativeship being dissolved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the book is really being viewed by many as a bit of a cash grab because it's being perceived that she's writing off the back of publicity after Britney's awful ordeal. Now Brittany has actually spoken publicly on social media calling out the book and subsequent interviews with Call Her Daddy and an interview Jamie Lind did on Good Morning America. And I mean, to me, it seems like a really odd move for Jamie Lynn to release this book at this time because at the moment, a lot of the public of viewing Britney's family through a very similar lens for their part in the Conservativeship, and many people think that what Britney's family did was absolutely disgusting. So Amy, for those who don't know much about this Conservative ship, can you bring us up to speed?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the Conservative Ship was put in place in two thousand and eight after Brittany was hospitalized following a series of public incidents. So the Conservativeship gave her father, Jamie Spears, and Britney's management team total control over her finances and personal matters, and in June twenty twenty one, Brittany referred to the Conservativeship as abusive and claimed her father and management team would not allow her to see a doctor to remove her IUD and force her to take lithium and that's a drug that's used to treat bipolar disorder.
Speaker 2: A recent New.
Speaker 1: York Times documentary also aired allegations that her father planted a surveillance apparatus that captured audio recordings from her bedroom. So fans began a Free Britney movement, which gained worldwide attention, and in November twenty twenty one, Brittany was finally freed from her conservativeship. So during court proceedings, Britney accused her mother, father, and sister of doing nothing to help her. I feel like we've got to get into some of the most juicy points from this Call her Daddy interview. So Jamie Lynn really didn't hold back at all, and she did spill a lot of family secrets.
Speaker 2: So she spoke about her.
Speaker 1: Father's addiction to alcohol and how her mom was often too scared to stand up to him. She told Alex Cooper that Brittany had offered to buy her mom a house if she agreed to leave her dad, which she did. Now. Jamie Lynn also revealed that her mom had beaten her with a large beaded purse which contained a camera inside. She said her mum repeatedly swung the bag and it landed several blows to her shoulder. This part was quite sad because Jamie Lynn revealed to Alex that she always felt like an afterthought her whole life. She said, my whole life. I kind of felt like I didn't matter. She said from an early age, she knew she was an accident, so this was early on in the podcast. She basically said that her name Jamie Lynn. I don't know if you've picked up on Sophie, but Jamie is her dad's name and Lynnie is her mom's name. What's interesting, though, is the Lynn in her name is spelled differently to the mother's spelling of it, and she said that just blew her mind, whereas Brittany and her brother both have been names, so she always knew. She's like, Mum, why did you call me this name? It's like you didn't even care about me. It's very strange, though, to have both your parents' names. I don't know, I said some sort of precedence though, that you're trying. I would have thought it set the precedents that you're trying to impress them and live up to their name. Well, her view was that they almost just couldn't be bothered to come up with a name, so they put their names together because from an early age, she was told that she was an accident because her dad had had a vasectomy before she was born and it hadn't worked well. Jamie Lynn did actually refute claims so that she was jealous of Brittany. She insisted that she was nothing but proud of her sister and she was inspired by her achievements. She told Alex I got to experience watching a woman take over the fucking world. How can I be jealous of that? I did feel bad listening to this part of the interview because I felt like Jamie Lynn really had to defend herself. I mean, there's been so much publicity basically around the fact that people believe Jamie Lynn is so jealous and that's why she's speaking out and as a sister, As someone who has two sisters, I think it would be hard not to be a little bit jealous. I mean, it might have been more human if she did admit that growing up, yeah, I was a bit jealous, but on hinndsight now as an adult, it was incredible to see Brittany takeover. I mean to be honest, from listening to the whole two part interview, I feel like I don't actually think she necessarily was jealous of Brittany, but I feel like she was more upset in terms of the.
Speaker 2: Treatment she received from her parents.
Speaker 1: I feel like her parents held Brittany up to such high regard because she was this cash cow making a lot of money, whereas, as she said, she was always an afterthought for her parents.
Speaker 2: We was pretty crazy because.
Speaker 1: I completely forgot that Jamie Lynn felt pregnant at Sea, because I haven't heard much about her child now because her child would be a teenager because she's now in her thirties. Yeah, her daughter's thirteen. So she fell pregnant. Remember she was on that Disney TV show and it was such big news. I remember Entertainment Tonight was going on about it. Well, particularly because there was so much media attention around the fact that Britney Spears wanted to remain a virgin. Yeah, but I think it was also because during this time, this is when Britney was having a few mental health issues as well. And there was a big spotlight on the family. But Jamie Lynn revealed how she basically had no say in where she wanted to live in anything to do with her baby. She said her team were pushing her to have an abortion and she was basically forced to live in this small country town with her mother with no internet for a few months before this all blew over. And so I don't know if you remember this, but there was also a lot of media attention around the fact that Jamie Lynn basically divorced her parents, so she became emancipated from her parents. Wow. Now, probably one of the most sensational claims made by Jamie Lynn was that Brittany once pulled out a knife when Jamie Lynn was younger and locked the two in a room together. Now, this is something which Brittany has flat out denied. So Brittany took to social media to slam Jamie Lynn, writing, Jamie Lynn, congrats, babe, You've stooped to a whole new level of low. I've never been around you ever with a knife or what I ever even think to do such, So please please stop with these crazy lies for the Hollywood books. Now and only now, I do know only a scum person would make up such things about someone. I'm actually very confused about you making that up, because it's honestly not like you at all around the kids, Jamie Lynn. Seriously, come on, congrats on introducing to your older sister the concept of getting low lower lowest because you in on that one, babe. God, That's that's pretty telling, it is. And what's really interesting is that I feel like normally people might have slammed Brittany forgetting off on social media and airing dirty laundry and having a go at Jamie Lynn. But the thing is, social media has been the only way Brittany has really been able to speak out to her fans.
Speaker 2: And everyone is.
Speaker 1: So used to Brittany being so honest and open on social media that everyone's gone good on it, good on it for calling out Jamie Lynn. And you know these claims that Jamie Lynn has made on Call her Daddy? Is it wrong that I do feel a bit of sympathy for Jamie Lynn though it sounds like she has lived an absolutely abhorrent life and hasn't had much support from her family either. Well, this is the thing Jamie Lynn used this call her Daddy interview kind of to defend herself because there has been so many accusations about Jamie Lynn which have been made during this Conservativeship court case, so surely she should have a right of reply. So just like her parents have treated her awfully as well. Exactly so, Jamie Lynn has claimed that she did try and help get her sister out of this Conservativeship by offering her.
Speaker 2: Some legal advice.
Speaker 1: But to be honest, this was all very vague and quite hard to follow.
Speaker 2: In podcast Now.
Speaker 1: The planned two part Podcasts episode, it didn't really run as smoothly as Alex Cooper would have liked. No, it didn't, So the first episode dropped on January eighteenth. Then hours later there were reports that Britney's legal team had sent Jamie Lynn a cease and desist letter that ordered her not to mention Britney. So in the letter, Britney's lawyers wrote, although Brittany has not read and does not intend to read your book, she and millions of her fans were shocked to see.
Speaker 2: How you have exploited her for monetary gain.
Speaker 1: Now, the second installment of Jamie Lynn's interview on Caller Daddy was supposed to drop the next day on January nineteenth. However, due to the legal letter, it was uploaded the next day on January twentieth, and of course this helped call her daddy out so much because it built even more hype around this very much anticipated episode. Now, there has also been a lot of talk about Alex Cooper's interview style, and many critics have said that as an interviewer, Alex tends to favor her guests and you can tell that she tries to make her interview talent feel as comfortable as possible so that they keep speaking and opening up to her. How did you find her as an interviewer in this conversation, Well, I actually thought Alex did a good job of putting Jamie Lynn at ease. And obviously there would have been a lot of background work that went into getting this interview, as you'd know, Sophy. What they teach you in journalism is that you have to make your interview you feel comfortable enough to open up in the first place, and you're supposed to get all the easy questions out there to begin with and then hit them with the harder questions. And it's basically if they walk out of the interview You've still got some content there. But that's what Alex did. She did ask the tough questions later on in the interview. I mean, and I feel like at the end of the day, people can critique Alex's interview skills all they like, but the success of call Their Daddy and Alex Cooper is the fact that they were even able to book Jamie Lynn's interview and they were able to get access to her. Because this is arguably one of the biggest pop culture stories of the last five years, and it shows just how powerful Call Her Daddy is As a journalist. I really feel like you need to allow your talent, as you say, Amy, to feel comfortable and safe to open up. And I feel like Alex in the moments where Alex needed to, she did press certain topics and you know, ask for more information. I mean, legally, they wouldn't have been able to put that interview out there if they didn't have the details that they needed from Jamie exactly. I mean, it's really interesting as well when you do look at the evolution of Caller Daddy, because I feel like, since the highly publicized departure of Sophia Franklin, who was the co host of Call It Daddy. There has been a conscious effort made by Alex to take the podcast into a new era, and she's openly dubbed this the single father era. So when the podcast was still with Barstool, which is a network that really only ran male dominated podcasts, there were a lot of sports podcasts, you could clearly see a shift in the type of content Alex discussed, and there was more of an effort to talk to big name guests like Miley Cyrus and well known influencers once Sophia had left the show, and even now since the sixty million dollar deal with Spotify, we are seeing a change in how Alex and the show is marketed. So we can see that Alex is tackling bigger issues and she has moved away from just talking to influencers and reality stars about their sex lives. And in the last couple of months, we've seen high profile interviews with Emily Radikowski, who spoke out about her sexual assault, and she also did a high profile interview with Amanda Knox, who was wrongly accused of murder. That's the thing, like, I don't think Alex Cooper is claiming to be a journalist it is different when journalists interview big names and are too scared to ask the tough questions. She's a personality in herself. Yes, she's a podcaster, she's not a journalist. Yeah, I mean I agree with that, But I'm more talking about the evolution of caller Daddy because even our mom has been listening to call her Daddy, and you think back to even last year, you'd never be like, oh, mum, go listen to call her daddy, Like listen to the gluck gluck nine thousand. The fact is Alex has taken this podcast from being predominantly a sort of shock factor sex podc into a real pop culture podcast that people are talking about, and people are taking it more seriously. Well, I feel like people have taken and call her daddy seriously though to begin with, because it was so sex positive. I think she has really built herself up to be a huge feminist, is someone that a lot of women can look up to because she is sex positive and she's also speaking to an incredible array of talented women men on important topic.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: That's why her fans, who she's dubbed as a daddy gang, that's why they love her for all of those reasons that you've mentioned. However, it's really interesting because the Daddy gang is.
Speaker 2: Almost turning on Alex now.
Speaker 1: And there has been a lot of criticism on the podcast official subreddit page about this interview. So a lot of people said that Alex didn't go hard enough on Jamie Lynn. And this follows criticisms of Alex's interview with former US Bachelor Coulton Underwood, who came out as gay. So many fans were angry that call her Daddy would give Coulton a platform after he was accused of stalking and harassing his Egges girlfriend Cassie Randolph. And there is this view that since Alex signed on with Spotify for the sixty million dollar deal, that she's willing to make trade offs which she previously wouldn't have done in order to grow the empire that is called it Daddy. So people feel like normally she wouldn't have spoken to Coulton Underwood, but maybe she had to try and get a big name on to live up to this Spotify deal. See I disagree with the criticism over the Coulton Underwood interview. I think that it was fantastic that she spoke to him and gave a perspective of a gay man having to live a secret life and the fact that he had so much pressure on him growing up as a Christian not to come out. I think there were so many important conversations to be had there there was.
Speaker 2: And she did slam him for his treatment of Cassie. That was evident.
Speaker 1: She did actually go hard on him about it. But I feel like people just want to go, well, why should we let him have a voice.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't let him say what he wants to say to be canceled, to be fair as you're saying.
Speaker 1: I think when podcasts get larger and you open yourself up to new audiences, that's when the criticism does come in. And obviously people must be sitting at home thinking, Wow, this girl has sixty million dollars in her bank account for doing this, So I'm going to be as highly critical of her as I can be her. Well, the backlash did prompt Alex to put out a mini episode called Cancel Call Her Daddy, and this is where she addressed all of the drama involving the Jamie Lynn interview. And I really loved this episode because Alex was so open and honest, and it was quite funny because this interview with Jamie Lynn it was the first time that they included video as well as audio of the interview, and she basically said it was just such a headfuck to get this video to work because Alex edits all of her podcasts herself, so she had to edit the video. She basically said, the video kept lagging and when she was speaking, the audio wouldn't match ups.
Speaker 2: It was a complete nightmare.
Speaker 1: She also revealed that this was the most downloaded episode ever of Call Her Daddy, and she said that she finds it really funny because so many people slammed her for her choice to interview Jamie Lynd Spears. But everybody clearly listened.
Speaker 2: But that's when the criticism comes.
Speaker 1: It's people who have never listened to the podcast before are only listening because they've heard about it in the media and they just think, Oh, I'm going to pile on and say something negative.
Speaker 2: Well let's go to alexiscrab.
Speaker 4: Thought it was funny when people like cancel Call Her Daddy, and I'm like, yes, Caller Daddy is canceled. Boop okay uploading Part two See Fuckers next Wednesday. You know, media these days, it's always like, don't give people a platforms, Silence them, silence them. No, if I think someone has a story that can be interesting and entertaining to be told, even if it's controversial, even if you if it makes you feel uneasy, that is the beauty of media. We can give people the opportunity to speak and you don't have to agree.
Speaker 1: Now, this interview has spark debate about whether Caller Daddy is in fact a feminist podcast, because when Caller Daddy first came out, many detractors said the podcast prioritize male pleasure and promoted patriarchal beauty standards and also objectified women. However, fans argued that the show has empowered.
Speaker 2: So many women in the bedroom.
Speaker 1: Well, it's pretty obvious when you do look at the new era of Caller Daddy on Spotify that it has been marketed as a podcast for women to be able to explore their sexuality relationships as well as their mental health and following the move, many critics have said that Alex has utilized the press coverage of the sixty million dollar Spotify deal to appear as a feminist. So she spoke a lot about her triumphed over a male dominated industry to be able to get to the point of having a sixty million dollar podcast. I think it's a really interesting concept that as a feminist you can only interview other feminists or other people who share your exact point of view, because isn't the point of interviewing people to explore other people's opinions. And yes, I understand the argument about platforming someone and giving some I'm on a huge platform to speak on. However, I think that Alex questioned Jamie Lynn in parts she needed to be questioning, and it's not all black and white. It kind of annoys me that people are saying, oh, well, Alex can't interview Jamie Lynn because she's a feminist. It's kind of like weaponizing her being a feminist. It's sort of saying like, oh, well, if you stand for this, you can't stand for that.
Speaker 2: But as a.
Speaker 1: Journalist, I've interviewed countless people for stories that I dislike and I don't agree with what they're saying. It doesn't mean that I then agree with their point of view. I mean, I read this really interesting article and it said that perhaps a better term for Alex Cooper is actually girl boss, which I know you don't like this term, Sophie. I don't really like it either, but they're saying that the idea of a girl boss is a woman who, rather than liberating herself from the capitalist patriarchy, decides to sit a top of it, and I feel like that is kind of a good definition of Alex Cooper. Well, I think that's all we've got time for. Thank you so much for listening to another episode of Outspoken. If you have enjoyed the show, did you make sure you are subscribed on Apple Podcasts and also Spotify, and make sure to leave us a five star review, and don't forget to follow us on Instagram and TikTok at Outspoken Underscore the Underscored podcast, and you can go and join in on all the conversations in our Facebook community, which is Outspoken the podcast Community.