Speaker 1: Is there a burger and fries one of your favorite meals? It sure is fine. So today on the Nutrition Couch Product Review, We've chosen four different types of burger buns to go through as I have one specific for each special type of person. Hi, I'm Leanne Wood.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sidney Burrow, and as two.
Speaker 1: Of Australia's leading dieticians, we bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find at the supermarkets.
Speaker 2: So Susie to.
Speaker 1: The house feeling extra generous, and I've chosen four products for our listeners. But firstly, I don't think I've ever seen you eat a burger, A burgers and fries, something better on high rotation in your household. The twins like a good burger.
Speaker 2: I think it's indicative of how much you love the burger.
Speaker 3: The fact you've got four Can I say I love a burger, But like everything, I'm really fussy and it has to be worth my calories, so I have to be honest. I don't make them at home because one of my little boys lusted cheese burger. It's his favorite meal and so whenever we go out he will always order that, and you know, we often go out, so it's probably close to once a week. He would have one anyway, so it's not something i'd.
Speaker 2: Cook at home.
Speaker 3: If I did, I would get the peppercorn lean burgers because they're less than ten percent fat and they're really strong product nutritionally. But I when I go over seas Lelyann, like, I've just been to Hawaii, and I just love those so unhealthy breosh buns with like flat meat patty cheese. Like I love a great burger, but I'm also prepared to wait until it's a really amazing one. So I don't have them that often, but when I do, I will really kind of indulge. All when I'm traveling, often with my sister, all split it because as I get older, it's actually really depressing. I can't eat that much. So in the old days, I used to have, you know, be able to easily polish off a burger, whereas now I just can't get there. So yeah, no, In answer to your question, burger.
Speaker 1: Lover, well, I'm surprised to hear that, Susan, and I'm glad that we're both on the same page about burgers. I must say that we probably would have them. If not once a week, I'd say definitely once every two weeks. And I normally make my patties from scratch. I'll get the premium mints or I'll get you know, some chicken or turkey mints, us through on a bit of grated veggies and greater zucchini, grated carrots, thrown an egg or two and make them myself and then just pan fry them in a nonstick pan. So I do like to sort of HEALTHI fire my burger, I would say, then at a ton of veggies, a little side salad, and I'll do some homemade chippies in the air frier as well. So burger buns are basically something that I get a lot of questions from clients, and they say, all right, I want to make like a homemade pizza or a haymade hamburger, Like what's a healthy base or what's a healthy burger bun? So I've chosen a couple today, Susie, with a few specific points. So the first one that I've done is the Hermann brought lower car bun. Now this one's available at Coals, but I think that Aldi does a very similar bakers life lower car bun as well. So this one's a two packs, so three dollars sixty for a two pack. Now, what I think we're going to do is compare via serving sizes. There's no point doing for one hundred grams because we eat one of the butt. No one's going to cut off seventy five percent of a bun and only have seventy five percent. I think we're going to compare via the serving size, because you will eat one bun as a serf. So when we look at the per serving size, we've got seven hundred and seventy kilodeles or about one hundred and eighty five calories. There's nineteen point three grams of protein, That is a whopping amount of protein in one of those burger buns, six point nine grams of total fat, with point nine being saturated fat, so quite a low saturated fat profile, seven point seven grams of carbs a very low carbohydrate for a burger bun, with one point one grams being sugars, and six point nine grams of total dietary fibers. That's quite a high amount of dietary fiber for a small bun. And two hundred and ninety four milligrams of sodium, so not insignificant for a burger bun. And then looking at the ingredient list. First ingredient is water. Second ingredient is a protein mixture, So this is what makes a protein so high, Like nineteen point three grams of protein in a burger bun is insane, ZUZI. The protein mixture is made up of wheat protein, soy protein, and lupin protein. With then I've got soy flour, wheat flour, and whole meal flour. We've got soy bean grits, sunflower seed meal, linseed meal, weak gluten, yuased wheat brand, apple fiber, some emulsifier, some salt, some balley, malt, flour, linseeds, vinegar, fermented sugar, and some acidity regulators to finish us off. So I would say all or a fairly clean ingredient list, lots of I guess that protein profile mix, plus also some healthy fats in there, so it's got a really good I guess macro spread for somebody. I would really choose this one, SUSI for my vegan or vegetarian clients who really just want to burger without like the meat patty on there, right, Like nineteen point three grams of protein is awesome. You could just put basically load that up with salad and or even put one of those like chickpea black bean type burger buns where you buy them the patties and they're actually quite low in protein. Most brands I might only have a couple of grams in them traditionally from the supermarket, those little chickpea burger patties, they're not very high at all. So this I find like a great option for my plant based clients or for those that don't really want any sort of metal animal product on the bun, because it is so high in protein, and it's also got an awesome amount of dietary fiber in there as well. How do you feel about this one?
Speaker 3: You know, you're so smart, because you're right. This is a perfect option for people who follow a plant based diet because you're right, it's so difficult to get a decent amount of protein plant based burgers out there. I like this product. You know, this brand is really strong nutritionally. We've covered them in our protein breads before they do supply to audi. I love that there's a range of options, because I tend to use these kind of buns sometimes for people as a quick and easy breakfast so if they want to have like planes spread on toast or a breakfast roll that they might have with a banana. So yeah, I'm a big fan. I think they're really good, they're reasonable price point. Nutritionally, they're really strong. You know, for some of my clients who aren't necessarily plant based, who are still having it with a meat based burger patty, I might use it more as an open burger and do half of it because it is quite high in protein. You know, if you're having a lean burger pad that's given close to twenty grams of protein, I certainly don't need twenty from the bun as well, So I might reduce the size of the burger patty or just use half of this and do it as an open burger, because as we've described, it's an amazing way to get great dietary fiber, great protein, some seeds which we know are so good for health when it comes to our good fats. So I'm absolutely a big fan. And that also freeze really well lyah, So if you're not cooking for many or you want to quick lunch, for example, and you don't want to be throwing it away. They're great in the freezer and you can bring them out there and toast them and make a delicious burger. I like them, I've eaten them, I buy them, and I am with you one hundred percent. I'd give it a solid sort of eight nine out of ten totally.
Speaker 1: And also just thinking about our more diabetics or our into the resistant clientele who are naturally trying to reduce the amount of carbohydrate load, this would be a really good one as well with our plant based clients as well. So I think it's definitely the type of bun where we would use it for specific types of clientele. But having said that, if one of my clients is like, yep, I eat meat, I'm happy to have like a beef patty on it, this isn't the type of product that I would actually give them. I would just give them a standard, normal, you know, healthy type burger. But I think it's specific to some people but not appropriate for everybody. But I think it is a really great product where they've really formulated a certain type of macronutrient profile to support specific people. Alrighty and then the next product I've chosen, I think you're a big fan of this one. I am as well. It's the tip top burger thins, So I think they retail at Coals and woolworst. So you've got a pack of six. They're very thin, so they're six in a packet and they're three dollars seventy, so you're getting pretty good bang for buck, like you're getting six thins for three dollars seventy. So again they have I think there are four and a half four of their five star house rating. Those stars are very small four star health rating. They are per serving, so per little thin. Three hundred and fifty kilodels, are only eighty four calories, so they're very low and you get the top and the bottom, but they're very thin. Like I would say, both fins are barely even half of a standard burger. They've got three point two grams of protein per thins, zero point nine of total fat with only point two being saturated, so very low fat. Fourteen point seven grams of carbohydrate, so both fins are the equivalent of about a you know, standard serve of carbohydrate, standard slice of bread, one point six grams of sugar is very low. One point eight grams of dietary fiber. That's not terrible considering you're getting a very small amount of product, and one hundred and thirty three milligrams of sodium, which is quite low. So ingredient wise, we've got wheat flour followed by water. Bakers used wheat bran, wheat germ, vegetable gums, some soy flour, wheat gluten sorry, wheat gluten, vinegar, canola oil, salt, sugar, dextros fermented wheat flour, and some emulsifiers and some vitamins. They've actually added diamond and folic acid in there as well. So I like this one, Susie four clients that are really actively trying to hit that calorie deficit, or for my clients that really want fries with their burger, and I must say I'm a big fries girl, because I don't want a huge, thick burger bun plus a massive serve of fries on the side, because we're just going to overdo the calories and overdo the carbohydrates if particularly the goal is weight loss, or if we're not that active.
Speaker 3: True, I just wish Leane it was a whole meal fiber or whole grain as flower as the base. You know, like it's a good product. I use them absolutely. I've got a whole range of clients who love them because they're lighter and people just find, you know, on their tummy they sit lighter, and you know, I'm like you. You know, a serve is equivalent of just a slice of bread. It's a lighter way to have a burger. Nutritionally, the carb fits well for someone whether they want to just have a lighter meal at night or in the case of adding chips. Although I'm a big fan of the zucchini fry in the air fryer to go with a burger, but I just wish it was some whole meal or whole grain flower as the base.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I know that's not necessarily what the main consumer demand is for and they don't need to in this product, but yeah, again, I like them. I use them particularly with my small females. And you know the difference. I guess for me, as you described, if I was having someone who was a a larger framed person who could tolerate a lot more calories, who needed a filling a high protein.
Speaker 2: Burger, I would go for the first one.
Speaker 3: Whereas for my smaller females who you know, perhaps trying to keep just lean, maybe want to lose a couple of kilos, they do like a burger, but they also like to eat quite lightly. I would choose this product, And again, as I said, I use them, might recommend them. I just wish they had a bit more wholemeal flower through them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: And you know, I do use this one for you know, I have a lot of clients who go, you know what, I can't finish a whole burger, Like as you said, they might be smaller, the goal might be weight loss, maybe they've had a particular type of surgery where they can't eat a lot. Rather than doing like an open top burger, like nobody wants to just take the top off and try to eat the burger without.
Speaker 2: A top on a burger. These burger thins are.
Speaker 1: So much better because at least you feel like you're eating the whole burger. You've got a top on a bottom there. So I love that. And you also mentioned a really good point for people who want a bit of a light to meal. So this is a great product for those that might be a little bit sensitive to like wheetl gluten. We're not talking people would diagnosed Celiac disease. We're just talking about people who don't handle a lot of wheich or a lot of gluten. Well, this is a lot of product purely because you're getting about half of what a standard burger is, so you might find that you tolerate or you digest it a lot better than what a standard burger bun might be. So people with more digestive upsets towards we talk gluten might find this a better option as well.
Speaker 2: Al ruddy.
Speaker 1: And then third product we've got I just wanted a standard, you know, generic home brand. I've got the Coals Hamburger rolls in here, so they're ninety grams per serving, so a lot larger than the Burger sins which were thirty four grams per serving. And the first buns, the Herman Drop ones is seventy grams. So these are our biggest burger buns. You're getting a pack of six from Coals the Hamburger rolls for three dollars twenty so again very affordable. You know, we're talking fifty cent sort of thing a roll now per serving, so per hamburger roll nine hundred and eighty four kiloduls, so two hundred and thirty five calories, so the most calorie dense. One eight point seven grams of protein in three point two grams of fat, point five of that being saturated, forty grams of carbohydrate perse serving, so a higher carbohydrate product, three grams of sugar, two point seven grams of fiber, and three hundred and sixty milligrams of sodium, which is quite high, but it is again the largest one that we've sort of looked at. So again the ingredients wheat flour with an addition of thiamon and folic acid, so some of our minerals there. We've got water, we've got yeast, wheat, gluten, canola oil, sugar, so there's actually added sugar in this hamburger bun, Sesame seeds, vinegar, salt, soy flour, vegetable and mulcifiers. And the little note of the bottom seys contains palm oil Susi's at least favorite ingredient.
Speaker 3: I tell you what's less of a favorite ingredient is when I see sugar on a burger paddy ingredient.
Speaker 1: List A bit of shame isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, because you know, it's often a commonly held diet myth. Actually, we should do an episode on diamyth. There's a belief that bread contains sugar often and it doesn't. You know, a good sugarin or regular bread doesn't shouldn't contain sugar. So the fact that we've got this bun that's got some sweetness in it, you know, I'm not talking about the breosh buns you have when you're going on a special occasion in and out Burger because you're traveling overseas. I'm talking about run of the meal, baseline nutrition. So I just don't like that it's got sugar in it in general. And I you know, I don't like palm oil, so you know I wouldn't. There's nothing I can't really say anything good about it. If it's a Hamburger bun. It's not overly healthy, it's not high fiber. It's you know, if I was describing that forty grams a carver hydrate, that's the equivalent of almost four slices of bread worth of fuel.
Speaker 2: So that's great.
Speaker 3: If you've got teenage boys, perhaps you've got huge energy demands. But even then I'd rather they have a whole meal one land. So you know, I think they've.
Speaker 2: Got a place.
Speaker 3: We've all had them at the family barbecues and picnics where you have it with a barbecue chicken. But it's certainly not on my grocery list, and I'd be encouraging my clients at a minimum to choose a whole meal hamburger bun if they were having something like this. That tends to be a bit cheaper in supermarkets anyway, but it's a good reference point to people to say that, how do you compare well, forty grams of carbs almost four slices of bread, and that's where you're getting the density of burgers that then have a fatty meat patty plus fried onions plus cheese. You know, you can end up with a five six hundred calorie meal and that's a lot, particularly for small women.
Speaker 1: You're adding a decent server fries to this, you're looking at close to probably you know, eighty plus grams of carbohydrate in a meal. So even if you're homemaking it, of course, it's going to be better than if you're buying something at McDonald's or even you know, grilled which you know, I love. It's one of my favorite burger joints. But let's be honest, the energy density of those meals is very high, even if you're choosing the low car buns or the you know, the z vegan patties. So of course making yourself at home is always going to be better. But I think there are definitely some better options on the market than it comes to just this standard hamburger roll. It is called large size, so I think for larger people, large active males. Maybe you know, I've got a client, husband's a roofer. He's six foot two, he's out in the hot sun all day. He's super active, Like he could inhale probably two or three of these, it wouldn't even touch the edges. So I think you've just got to be careful that sometimes buying a hamburger bun and letting the whole family eat the same one perhaps isn't the best idea. Perhaps you're better off to have a different one for Haaby, a different one for the growing teenage boys compared to the you know, the five year old child, compared to the small active female who's also trying to lose weight. So I just thought it was nice to highlight a couple of different options. So the last one I've got Zuzie is the wool worst whole grain bred rolls. They're in a six pack and they're actually called the lunch rolls, So I just wanted to highlight that just because we're having a burger doesn't mean that we need to go for the burger or the hamburger rolls. I always get my clients to go for a grain one with some visible hole grains in there for some gut health benefits. And again something from like the bakery section versus the hamburger roll section, because they're naturally smaller and you're just getting a smaller product with less energy and less carbohydrate density as well. So I quite like this one. They're very affordable with susie two dollars fifty for six rolls, so you know the lesson what's that they're about forty cents a roll each, so very very affordable. And the ingredients. We've got wheat flour followed by water and grains at nineteen percent, so I think nineteen percent grains is awesome in a bread roll. We've got kibbled rye purple wheat oats. And trick late. Then we've also got some kibbled barley, wheat, gluten yeast, some seeds being canol seeds and linse seeds, some salt, some wheat brand, some vegetable oil compromising of canola and palm, some wheat germ, and again some added vitamins. If you guys hadn't picked up on it already, a lot of the breads and the rolls in Australia do have added diamond and folet in them, just from sort of a I guess generic population health perspective. We want to sort of add those into a lot of our fortified products. And then you've got the options of having a plane, a sesame seed or a poppy seed version of those lunch bread rolls. So I quite like them, Susie. They are seventy grams per serving size, so the same serving size as our original Herman protein rolls, not as a bit larger than the thirty four gram burger fins, but also smaller than our coals hamburger rolls at ninety grams, So per seventy gram role we've got seven hundred and seventy kilodels seven point seven grams of protein three grams of fat, with zero point four being saturated, so very low saturated fat. Twenty nine grams of carbohydrate so easily you know, ten grams less than the Hamburger rolls, point nine of that being sugar, so no added sugars in this product. Three point five grams of dietary fiber, which I think is a really good amount of dietary fiber for a nice whole grain roll, and just shi have two hundred milligrams of sodium. So this is probably my pick of the bunch, SUSI for somebody who just wants to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle, who wants a good quality product. It's very affordable, it tastes good. These are the ones that I would naturally buy if I was having a bit of a chicken and salad roll for lunch, revoals making hamburgs for dinner. This is something that I would routinely choose. So this is sort of my pick of the bunch for you know, various reasons. Have you tried this one or is this something that you recommend for your clients.
Speaker 3: This is the one that if I'm going to a picnic or something and I'm making rolls or taking them with a cy will buy a little trick. I do you take the middle out of the roles, particularly for myself, because again I'm not very big. I don't need that have bred through it if I'm already putting protein and salad through it. But I love this, and not because you'll find the similar ranging coals. It's just the sort of multi grain version, but nutritionally really strongly and like that is a really high proportion of grains. If you look at a multi grain loaf in the supermarket, it's got about ten percent grains, which isn't overly high. And when you get ups to your soil in seed type nine grain breads, they're closer to twenty. So the fact this has got twenty percent grain, which is really great nutritionally with you know, just a really beautiful car bload equivalent to two slices of bread. Big fan of these, and I do buy them and I do use them absolutely myself with my family, and I wouldn't you know, with my clients if they were having a burger for the family.
Speaker 2: Great product. And also, let's be honest, a really good.
Speaker 3: Price point because at the moment, as we've said, it's really expensive. So if you can get bread rolls and if you've got teenage boys or girls going to high school and you're sending them off with their.
Speaker 2: Lunch roll, you know they freeze.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I think they're fantastic and definitely always if you can. The hierarchy is grain than whole meal and then white, so absolutely I buy them. I like them delicious, I love red salmon, have that with salad on them or of course it'd be great for a burger as well, so big thumbs up for me. I'd give it a good nine, nine and a half out of ten.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, this is definitely my pick of the bunch. But I thought that we would showcase one for you know, taller active people perhaps wanting to gain way to hadd high energy requirements that you know, just generic hamburger role as a good one. The tip top one for people who may have a bit of a wheat l gluten sensitivity or need a lower amount of energy or carbohydrate than of course a high high protein one. I still can't get over the fact that there's nearly twenty grams of protein in a Hamburger bun, Susie, So I think a little mix of you know, different different products today for different folks, which I think is really nice to sort of showcase which ones might be better off and why just perhaps buying one burger bun for the entire family may or may not be a good idea for your family. I think it's always that thing that knowledge is power. So I think we have more knowledge we give our listeners the more they are to make some great decisions in the supermarket for their families.
Speaker 2: I love that range that you've chosen today. Well done, all right, guys.
Speaker 1: Well that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Catch product review for another week. If you haven't done so already, we would love if you subscribe to the podcast leave us a positive review in the Purple Apple Podcasts at we'd be very grateful, and don't forget our live talks from the series that we did across Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane alive on our website. We're talking about hormones, gut health, fat loss and barriers to change and they are available at the Nutritioncatch dot Com under the event page on the website. We will catch you guys and check in next week.
Speaker 2: See you Sunday.