Speaker 1: A small show, the Smallsy Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up? This is Nicky Webster. You're listening to small Zy.
Speaker 1: Now I'm kiss on the show.
Speaker 3: Absolute Australian icon. In fact, sticker in a museum. She's that much of an icon.
Speaker 1: Nicky Webster's here, everybody, Thank you?
Speaker 2: What an intro?
Speaker 3: Has anyone ever told you that we should stick you in a museum before?
Speaker 2: Is that because I'm old?
Speaker 1: Or is that no?
Speaker 3: Just I think you're just a part of Australian icon culture now No, maybe like.
Speaker 2: A wax version of me would be pretty cool.
Speaker 3: A Madam two Swords Nicky Webster would be great. Hey, well, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I after all of these years, is the first time we've ever met. I know, and look and now I can't believe that the banger, that honestly absolute banger twenty five years old? Isn't that?
Speaker 4: It's incredible to believe that this song has lived on through the generations.
Speaker 1: And how old were you when you did this?
Speaker 4: It was just after the Olympics, so I was about fourteen fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the robot there was the robot's name.
Speaker 2: DJ did it or Jimmy did It?
Speaker 3: Was the best that was from the video clip For people who don't remember.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 4: I got to create what I you know, this really cute kind of boyfriend style DJ.
Speaker 2: It was very cute.
Speaker 1: Was that your idea?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I got to be a part of creating him and designing him. It was pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Unless you said so, I'm not talking over you here, will It was a time.
Speaker 2: It was a good song.
Speaker 4: I always knew it was going to be a good song, So I'm just glad it's lived on for.
Speaker 2: This many years.
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations on celebrating twenty five years anniversary of the song.
Speaker 1: Did you write this or did you work with people that wrote it for you?
Speaker 4: No, I just heard it as a demo and I said to my record label, I want that like I want this song.
Speaker 1: Was it Australian writers or.
Speaker 2: Was in his international writers?
Speaker 4: Jeff Frans who loves me very much because he's still getting royalty checks.
Speaker 3: For Wow, for my song, that song would be making money. Still, did it get off a to anybody else, because you hear a lot of the time songs like that get pitched around or people pass on it. Had anyone else been off of that song before you got off of it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Aaron Carter actually had the song on hold because he had done I Want Candy and then he wanted.
Speaker 1: Strawberry hisses that would have worked for Aaron Patt.
Speaker 2: So I had to fight pretty hard to say.
Speaker 1: No my song and yeah, you went to war with Aaron Carter?
Speaker 2: I did? I did?
Speaker 1: Did you ever meet him?
Speaker 2: I absolutely did.
Speaker 4: I got set up on a pizza date once with him as well, so not long after that.
Speaker 3: Seems a little uncomfortable now, doesn't Well, congratulations, I mean where do we even start? What have you been doing for the last twenty five years?
Speaker 2: What have I been doing?
Speaker 4: I've been I've run a performing arts studio for kids, so like the new talent of up and coming talent, which is pretty cool. So I get to work with up and coming stars of today every day, which is really inspiring.
Speaker 3: Would you are you when you work with up and coming stars and you encourage the kids to be stars? Are you like a Chris Jenner encourager or Abby Lee Miller dance Mum's encourager.
Speaker 4: I would say I'm kind of in the middle, like I'm more Chris Jenner as in, like.
Speaker 2: You've got to think about the whole picture.
Speaker 4: I got to be the triple threat, and you've got to, you know, think about your marketing and how to put yourself out there and the hard work.
Speaker 2: I think. But yeah, I think I'm more like that.
Speaker 1: Are you a little unhinged like Abby Lee Miller too?
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'm a little bit of a perfectionist most of the time.
Speaker 1: To do just scream at the kids, No.
Speaker 2: You can't do that in twenty twenty six, No you can't.
Speaker 3: I think the kids of today can I just say, I'd probably do it to us more to say, I'm going to say, I reckon. The kids of today are missing out on the whole being screamed at like nothing.
Speaker 1: That's character fine.
Speaker 2: I turned out me too.
Speaker 3: It's really character building being screamed at by an adult, you know, like you really know you've done something wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah. However, I think the other way is pretty cool too.
Speaker 4: You get to come into their own a little bit more and their voice a little earlier and not afraid to say no.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty cool. Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So how are you celebrating twenty five years?
Speaker 4: We are actually doing some really exciting things, which is really cool. We are selling some merch to celebrate twenty five years.
Speaker 2: I've got the T shirt on today.
Speaker 3: I love that. It's not cute little it's fourteen year old you it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wish I still look that young. But yeah, we've got a T shirt which.
Speaker 3: I have to say, sorry, you look just almost identical to what you did twenty five years Obviously you're like you're a mature woman now, but like everything is the same for people, so they know the hair is the same length, you're still petite, like you know, it is wild how much people don't change change.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you've got the merch.
Speaker 2: Got the merch.
Speaker 4: We're going to release a seven inches well of Strawbery Kisses nyl, yeah, which is really cool. So you can you can pre order all that stuff now. And it's just about I guess, reflecting back on where you were in the year, you know, in the tooth and how much fun you had with the song and just having a little bit of fun, not taking it too seriously and just a really good kind of vibe and spirit and Strawby Kisses living on.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now take me back twenty five years ago. The song comes out, it goes gangbusters. Everyone is like, is this fair to say you were equal parts loved but then also equal parts loathed, Like some people loved you and then some other people were like, get this chick off of my TV one hundred.
Speaker 2: That was solutely How did.
Speaker 1: You handle that as a fourteen year old?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was tough, I think because I had come from doing the Olympics, which was obviously you know, I was recognized on a worldwide scale as representing my country, and I was a very proud Aussie and I never wanted to leave Australia as an artist because you know, I'm an Aussie girl at heart, and so that was really hard to take. I think that I thought that some people in my country turned against me, and I think I wasn't quite sure what I had done wrong.
Speaker 1: But how do you even process that as a fourteen year old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad there was no Instagram and direct messaging or anything like that, because I think it would have been a lot darker.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's just my family being very grounded and keeping me very grounded.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was tough. However, I think it made me a.
Speaker 4: Little bit more resilient in terms of what I was going to face as an adult, and also grateful for the opportunities I had and the connections and the people that I met along the way, the people that I needed to respect me did, and the people that to see me saw me, and the others were just noise.
Speaker 1: Is how There's a lot of noise, right, There's a lot of noise.
Speaker 3: Is there is there something that you like stands out as like a crazy like moment? I mean you talked about that Aaron Carter pizza party. Is there something that you know from that time that you look back on and you're like, oh, did you fly somewhere, did you meet someone where you're doing like corporates, or just is there something that stands out that you just like that was just the wildest time of my life.
Speaker 4: I think the whole thing I was like traveling around the world. I was touring, I was you know, singing at different corporate events. I got to do like aerobatics in a plane once and you know fly they shut the engine off and fly down to the ground and then fly back up singing strawberry kisses.
Speaker 2: Just crazy stuff I was doing and able to do as a young kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just travel the world with my backup dancers who were my best friends from you know, school, and just live in life thinking this is the way.
Speaker 1: How great is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Did you finish school?
Speaker 2: I did so?
Speaker 1: So your fourteen?
Speaker 3: So hang on, so let's just go back you you do the Olympics right then they string you up in the air and everyone remembers that what happened after that because obviously you were like everyone was talking about that Aussie girl that everyone was flicking around that they were flicking around the opening ceremony.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then it was you know, getting presented with opportunities and there was no written book on how to do it or what to do or the paths to follow. We were all just shooting blind, going okay, let's take a record contract, let's see where that leads us, and let's do a tour and let's you know, go to school in the in the term and then tour in the holidays.
Speaker 1: And is that how it went down?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Let's make a clothing brand and be the biggest girl's clothing brand, you know in came up stores for years, like let's design clothes, let's design bedding, Like it was just it was crazy. I just kept saying yes. I was like, sure, yeah, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 1: How exciting is that?
Speaker 3: It's really cool life memories I can imagine, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the best thing was I was always allowed to sit at the table of these meetings. No one ever kept me out and thought I was young. They just were like, yeah, come in and be a part of it.
Speaker 3: So that because I would have I would have thought at the time, I mean, I was only a kid too, But like I would have thought at the time, there would have been people thinking, oh, there's adults manipulating her here, like she's not at the table, she's just being wheeled out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: But I think when they saw me in the meetings, they realized that it was me driving it, and yeah, I think I was just blessed to have, you know, some good support. I had Burton Newton, I had Kylie Minogue who were always kind of I could call or ring and ask for advice.
Speaker 2: So I had a lot of people.
Speaker 1: You had Burton Newton, yeah, and Kylie Minau.
Speaker 3: I'm not name dropping, just like so they just they reached out to you and said, hey, if you've ever got a question or just.
Speaker 4: Well, I'd worked with Kylie and the closing ceremony, and we became really close.
Speaker 2: And then Bert and I had worked.
Speaker 4: With in musical theater since I was, you know, five years old, so we had developed this relationship and support and he would just reach out and I'd ask questions and bounce ideas off them. So really good, I guess industry knowledge and just you know, really sound support from a young girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty's really lovely.
Speaker 3: Now tell me when you auditioned for that opening ceremony, you would have been up against other girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plenty.
Speaker 1: Where are they now? The barefoot and pregnant let's look at them to ring it, you know that hate you. They would like Strawberry kids. They would have been.
Speaker 3: They would still be telling stories about that male Nikki Webster who stole my job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was at compared to the reality show. They would have made one of the hero girl.
Speaker 3: You know how it was it super competitive to get that opening ceremony.
Speaker 2: Hugely competitive.
Speaker 4: I think every girl in Australia was going for this role that no one really knew what it was because it was so undercover and so secretive. But yeah, one hundred percent. It was months and months of auditions and it was a very cupbroat process.
Speaker 1: Now, where can we get the merch So you can.
Speaker 4: Get it on my Instagram which is Nikki Webster Official. There's a link there and you can pre order it.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, and it's going to be the T shirts. There's a cap apparently it's a pretty cool cap seven inch vinyl of Strawberry Kisses and apparently the vinyl is in Strawberry Kisses red.
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 3: This is great, so fun before I let you go. Weirdest place you've heard Strawberry Kisses?
Speaker 4: Oh, probably probably in a bathroom cubicle someone singing it. You know, saw me walk in and then sit in the cuba cole and just start singing it. That's probably the weirdest.
Speaker 1: That's weird. Yeah, it's kind of weird to get it in store.
Speaker 3: Radios or like just in the you know, piping through the westfield every now and then when you walk in.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and then my kids start, My two kids start belting it out to do embarrassed like it's Nicky Webster over here.
Speaker 1: How old are your kids?
Speaker 2: By the way, my daughter's twelve and my son's eight.
Speaker 3: Now did they they obviously know mum was a pop star. Do they rinse you for that? Or do they.
Speaker 4: Think I'm still in the cool era? Okay, they don't despise me about it yet.
Speaker 1: But now that you've done this merch drop, they're going to hate you.
Speaker 4: No, he's my son stole my hat. Oh really at home and he stole the hat and my daughter stole the top.
Speaker 1: So okay, cool, all right, you're owning it. You're still cooler. I'm still cooler, You're still cooler.
Speaker 2: It's a good era.
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations on twenty five years. Congratulations on doing the merch range and the merch Drop. That's very exciting because you know what a lot of the child stars at the time, they're dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and you can as in the music stand.
Speaker 1: No, Aaron Carter, he gone.
Speaker 2: Let's just be positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah No, I'm just oh yeah, sorry, let's give it up. Let's give it up.
Speaker 3: No. But I'm just saying, hey, good on you because, like you know, and congratulations that the people around you and the people you had, good people around you.
Speaker 1: Yes, they kept time. Most of I don't know. Was there drama?
Speaker 2: Hey, I need to tell all a book. That's what I should have you done a book. There's stories.
Speaker 3: I know, I know there would be stories, which is what I've been trying to poke at and get you to tell me the dark side, the underbelly.
Speaker 2: That's it. But no, I'm pretty sure when.
Speaker 3: You write the book, I'll come back talking about everybody.
Speaker 1: You make sure you.
Speaker 2: Come back at this interview in no, well, no, you can.
Speaker 3: Just say, hey, it was a great idea that we talked about all of the dark side. I will do the forward. I grew up watching her. I thought life was great. It turns out there's a dark side to Nicky Webster. See there we go already the website, your Instagram and your website for the limited edition merch Strawberry Kisses Australian iconic anthem, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Don't miss a moment of the smasy show down on the free iHeart app now sounds
Speaker 3: Better on I Spoiled Dad This Father's Day with the Chemist where House Break and Sale shop the huge range of big brand fragrances at the lowest prices Chemist Warehouse helping you spoil Dad this Father's Day