Speaker 1: Every free second, you're probably going to have to use that for your side hustle. Like like I said, side hustles are not for fainthearted. It's you're working before work, during lunchtime, after work, and you just have to make it happen. Welcome back to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, former lawyer turned entrepreneur, social media personality and personal development junkie. This podcast is for my girl gang who want to feed their mind with positive and expansive thoughts to help them step into their power and live their most authentic life, which hat a variety of topics including mindset, business, relationships, health, and so much more. Basically, wherever you are on your journey, I want to help you feel inspired and howard to rise up and conquer your next bold move. I know that's going to look different for everyone, but just no, I'm right here by your side and that you have the RNC community behind you.
Speaker 2: Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome back to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. It is your host, Georgie Stevenson. My voice might sound a bit like kind of croaky because it's early in the morning.
Speaker 2: I supposedly.
Speaker 1: I'm not sick. Maybe I've got a bit of hay fever. But it is quite early in the morning on the Thursday, so you guys will hear this on the Friday. But I have a big day at the NH warehouse. So I'm recording this and getting this done. Then I'm going to quickly get ready and then Cooper's picking me up because I'm currently carpooling. So, as you guys probably know, probably like a month ago now, oh wait, so probably like three weeks ago, my car got stolen and they found it the next morning. It wasn't stolen for very long, but the kids who stole it, they smashed a side mirror and so there wasn't too much other damage. It was very lucky in that regards, and we found it, but they, yeah, they smashed a side mirror. And so my my little cars getting fixed.
Speaker 2: And so my car is from Germany, and so.
Speaker 1: They literally had it for three weeks and nothing much has been done because they're waiting on parts from Germany. And he's like, look, it's probably not going to be to the end of the month. And I'm with sun Corp. And they only gave me a higher car for twenty one days and then they're like, after that, you have to pay for it, and it was like one hundred and fifty dollars a day, and I was like, look, I only really go to the warehouse, which I can usually car pool with, you know, my husband Tim or my brother Cooper or Mel and then anything else, like I can probably just uber and it's going to be less than one hundred and fifty dollars, So I am going to be car pulling. And oh yeah, also Cooper goes away on holidays next week, so I'll be able to use his car.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Long story short is, I'm in this new reality where I have to be on everyone else's time, not my own time. So I've got to quickly get ready so Cooper can pick me up and I can go with him before our meeting this morning.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna quickly do this episode. And this episode is.
Speaker 1: Going to be about Side Hustles. I feel like I've definitely spoken about my story with Side Hustles, and you know, you've probably heard it in various podcasts, but I've never dedicated a whole episode. And you know, my solo podcasts are usually short and sweet so it's not going to be anything too crazy, but I did want to dedicate a whole episode to this because honestly, anyone who has a side hustle, I just I feel you.
Speaker 2: I see you.
Speaker 1: It Like now, looking back, when I had a you know, was doing my side hustle and working a full time nine to five job, it was definitely like the most busiest, the most rewarding, hardest times of my life. So anyone out there who's got a side hustle while they're working full time or you know, being a mom full time or studying full time, yeah, I see you. And just first of all, big congratulations, a big clap on the back, because yeah, holy shit, it was like one of the hardest times of my life. So I'll quickly give you a brief story.
Speaker 2: About me and my side hustle.
Speaker 1: So have some I guess a bit of a concept, but I and my heights my side hustle is like a little bit different because it was my so social media, but that's still a side hustle because you know, I used to charge brands, I used to create content. It was very time consuming and also like most of the content was free value content, not even paid content, so I was, Yeah, it was a lot. So I don't want to discredit that because I definitely, you know, as much as people are like, oh, influencers, they just do nothing. You guys know how hard I work, And especially when you're working full time and then you have a social media on the side, it's like, it's honestly like another full time job.
Speaker 2: So I have.
Speaker 1: So I went straight from high school, I did my law degree. During my law degree, I always worked either part time or full time. And then on top of that, I started to grow my social media. So my social media was very much health and fitness. At the beginning, it was you know, my account got a lot of traction at the start because of before and after photo and so I just used to share like, you know, healthy recipes, workouts, all that sort of jazz. And then it very much morphed into more of a lifestyle account. So when I was doing my law degree plus working full time, I guess it really morphed into this account where it was, you know, I was the girl who worked full time, did her law degree, plus was healthy whatever that means. And so again I would share my life on YouTube on Instagram, and I had a following off that, and then on top of that, you know, I would work with brands who would either you know, give me like a contrabasis, which means I would receive products or services in exchange for my you know services, or I would get paid, you know, for promoting a brand. And I feel like I don't need to say this because you guys know me, but you know, like I would never promote a brand or you know, say I was using it unless I was. Of course, I think I wouldn't have got to this point if I had ever lied about that. And yeah, so that was you know, my thing, and so what that involved and kind of the real kind of side hustle for me, I guess when I took my side hustle seriously. So that's kind of my first point is if you have a side hustle and you're like ready to progress it, you really need to be treating this side hustle as a business. So for me, even though you know, social media and having brands pay for things, it was like this new concept and it was kind of a weird thing to get your head around, but I very much treated it like a business, like I was so professional with the brands I were with, I, you know, would have a calendar and I would have a media kit and I did everything myself as well. So I guess like that was kind of And yeah, I was working full time at a law firm doing family law at this point, also studying whether that was my law degree or my pot which is the study you have to do after you finish your law degree to become a lawyer. And so what my day would look like is I used to like the firm I was at started work at seven thirty, which is just honestly, now I'm thinking about, I'm like, why does a law firm start at seven thirty?
Speaker 2: It's beyond ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And it's not like we even finished early, Like it was still to fucking five pm. Don't mean to share, don't mean to square swear, wow, but yeah, just a bit outrageous. And so I would get at four thirty, I would do a gym class or have a pt, come back, make breakfast, have all my lunch ready, leave for the bus at like six thirty because I used to catch the bus in there, catch the bus into work, start work at seven point thirty. Work, you know, work all day. I used to use my lunch break to either edit YouTube videos or you know, email people back, and then I would get home quite late because you know, traffic and stuff. I probably would finish work more five point thirty, get home at six thirty, Me and team would make dinner, and then I would sit on my computer, edit youtubees and ser emails, and then usually spend my whole weekend, you know, filming videos, editing videos, doing my Instagram posts, getting them ready. And it was like, like I said, it was fucking hard. Like in saying that I was obsessed. Now looking back, the only reason what got me through, I reckon there was a good three solid years of me grinding was I was obsessed, I want to say, with both careers. But the mental state I was in was very much like I was going to be a lawyer, but I also was so passionate about this side thing and my health and fitness.
Speaker 2: So I was so obsessed with both, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So I had this a huge goal, like I was going to finish my degree. I was going to get that certificate that says I was a lawyer, but I also was going to do this side business. And yeah, I was just like grinding, and I think that's the big thing with the side business. For example, maybe you haven't got one and you want to start one. Is I just don't think it's going to work if you start one just for money. So if you're working your nine to five and you hate it and you're like, oh, I need to make extra money or something like that, like doing something just for money, I just I don't know. I just look it can. But for me it's like it was a grind. It was hard, and if I wasn't obsessed and so passionate about it, I just don't think it would have worked. So that's just like a huge, huge thing. You need to be obsessed. You need to be passionate because there is going to be like for me, it was you know, three years. I don't know for you guys, but there's going to be a time where you just have to put in the work, you have to grind, you don't have a social life. Yeah, it's hard, like you know. I also at this point, I think I was planning a wedding like lots was happening, and on the weekend, like poor Tim, I basically wouldn't have much time for him. I'd give him a couple of hours and then just be working on, you know, my side hustle. And God bless his soul, he stuck around and was so fine about it. But it's just like you're going to have to sacrifice things. So I think if you don't have the passion, it's just yeah, you really need it there.
Speaker 2: So then the next thing.
Speaker 1: With a side hustle is you really have to not care what people think. So, you know, I was at this law firm, I was being professional. I was like, you know, trying to really work hard and show that I could be a lawyer. And I worked in a really good law firm too, where it was very respected, and you know, I had partners above me, lawyers above me, and they all knew what I was doing on the side. And I think sometimes not that I was embarrassed about it, but I could kind of tell that they thought it was like silly or just like what is she even doing? Or like why does she bother? Like it's ridiculous, or you know, she just needs to focus on one. And even sometimes my family and Tim wouldn't understand. And I think it's just like you need to have that self belief yourself and you need to be able to put yourself out there. So you need to be able to be like, this is what I want to do, this is what I'm doing, and kind of have your own back, because especially with a side hustle, like especially when it's not succeeding, Like don't get me wrong, like now, people like, yeah, of course you should have lest your corporate job and you know, started Naked Harvest and started a podcast because it's like, I'm quote unquote successful. But you know, back then, when I was working full time in a law job doing this side hustle thing, and when I was like, I knew I wanted to leave and do the side hustle thing, like it didn't look like, it didn't look great, and people like, what the fuck is she doing? But you need to have your own self belief and you need to have your own back. The next thing I want to chat about is, you know, I'm kind of going to go the complete other direction and say, even though I've said you've got to be super passionate about it, is it also does need to be monetized at some point. So for example, with my Instagram, you know, I've had it for over seven eight nine years now and I only started monetizing it probably three years in three or four years in so like it was like three or four years of literally just creating free content. And I know it's Instagram, so you might think it's different, but there's a lot of time and effort that went in there, and even to this day, like for example, this podcast, like to be very transparent with you guys, I have a podcast manager who works full time that helps me out with the podcast because you know, like I don't have the time. I full time work in Naked Harvests and Geers Collective, and I obviously work with other brands, and so I need someone working full time to run this podcast. And I do you know, you guys would hear the ads and whatnot that would sink in every now and again, but to be honest, like those ads would just cover my podcast managers, you know, salary or wage. So it's like I'm kind of breaking even. But for me, the podcast is such like a passion an outlet that that's okay for me, and you know, I make my money in other ways. But in saying that, if you are, you know, doing this podcast, you do have to monetize and it does have to be able to make money in some way so you're not just like completely burnt out for no reason. But yeah, you have to be able to put in free value content. And that's like basically what this podcast is is something I do you know on top of everything else that is pretty much well, it is completely free value for you guys. That takes a lot of time and effort and resources of my own, but for me it's so there's always going to be kind of that pull and take R and C.
Speaker 2: Fam.
Speaker 1: Are you currently trying to grow your hair, get glowing skin and nails, or help your gut health, Well, look no further because Naked Harvest's collagen powder is here to change it all. Did you know that age twenty five, our body starts producing as much collagen itself and then that amount decreases every single year. So this is important to know because our skin, which is our biggest organ is made up of seventy five percent collagen, and guys, collagen is just a protein. So it does make sense why we start seeing signs of aging around this time. And this is why we called our collagen the beauty Alixa because it really is a beauty supplement that is going to help you glow from the inside out. So even though this supplement has amazing esthetic results, you've probably seen my before and after hair photos and my nail snaps on my stories. But more than that, collagen is such an important building block to so many parts of our body. So not only is your skin going to glow, your hair and nails grow, but it's also going to help with your gut health and we all know how important that is. So there's two options with the Naked Harvest Collagen Alixa. There is a pure option, which I love to add to smoothies and my coffees, or a pine coconut option which is so fresh and so delicious. I love having that at morning tea or in the afternoon. So iron c Fam glow from the inside out with Naked Harvest's Beauty Collagen Elixa today and feel free to use the Iron c FAM's code which is Ris and Concher Podcasts all spelled out and you can get a Sneaky Saved being at checkout. Okay, now let's get back into today's episode. So I'm just gonna get straight onto the tips because i feel like I'm in chatting forever and I just want this to really be like a yeah, like resourcefulp for you guys. So, like I said, too, is like treat your side hustle lack a business like I think sometimes.
Speaker 2: We can get in this mode of it's just a side hustle.
Speaker 1: And I kind of remember when it was getting to the point where I was like, I think I have to pick between this law job and the side hustle. And I kind of said to myself, I'm going to give myself the year and if I can match my wage that I was earning, as you know, a law clerk, a lawyer with this side hustle, I would feel comfortable and safe enough, I guess to leave. And so that year I really kind of took my side hustle a lot more seriously. And it's funny because, like I said, like influencing, it's not like it's this new thing. And for example, we do influencer marketing with Naked Harvest, and I will talk to my influencer marketing manager, Jacinta, and she just will tell me some of the stories of influencers who you can just tell they don't take it seriously and they don't treat it like a business. And it's like you know we do we do contract and paid posts for naked harvest. So like this person is getting paid, they are giving us their services, they are getting paid like this is a contract, this is a legit thing.
Speaker 2: And they almost like.
Speaker 1: You know, they won't reply for ages, or they won't know how to make an invoice or you know, just like so many things where you're like, this is a business. You need to start treating it like a business, if that makes sense. And I totally get that, and I said to Justcinta, there was definitely a point when I was influencing where you kind of it's like you don't grasp that concept. And when I kind of put that goal in where it's like I would only leave my law job until I matched my wage, my mindset changed and I took things a lot more seriously. So I treated my side hustle like a business. It was very professional, you know. I yeah, Like I just treated it very professional. And I think that's something like if you have a side hustle, but you're treating it like a side hustle, but you want it to turn into a full time, you know, legit thing. It's like where can you change things or make things more professional, make things more legit, or just take yourself a bit more seriously, because it's honestly like when you embody something, that's when you can show up as that person. And I would kind of get into what I used to do with visualization. Actually, let's just get into it now. So also a huge, huge change. And I know people are gonna be like, oh, this is so woo whatever, but my side hustle, honestly, honest to god, it would not have turned into a legit thing. And me felt like that without my visualization and affirmation practices. So because I used to catch the bus that used to take me like half an hour to get into the city every day, I used to use that time to either listen to a podcast or I would sit there with music and I would visualize. So I would literally close my eyes like people probably would have thought I was like fucking asleep on the muss, but I would sit there and visualize what would my day look like if I worked full time in my side hustle, So like I would visualize waking up, what time would I wake up? And to be honest, this is when I was visualizing a lot about the beach, which is so crazy because what I used to visualize is literally my life now. So I used to wake up and you know, I used to wake up at six, which was like two hours sleeping for me, and I used to you know, get up gradually. I'd make myself a coffee, I'd play with the dogs, and then i'd go for a beach walk and i'd listen to a podcast and I would you know, take this time and have this really long morning routine. And then i'd you know, call my employees, chat to them, tell them what they need to do today. And then i'd get into, you know, my projects for the day and make my list and feel accomplished and then be able to have a lunch break where I sat in the sun and all this different stuff which is literally my life now. But I used to sit there and visualize and very kind of you know, detailed and not detailed, like it was almost like I was watching a movie and I just yeah, I used to think, like and then from that visualization, I'd be like, you know, how would this person show up, what would she wear? How to treat others? Like I would really get into it, and it's like that like I wasn't that person yet. But because I would consistently, like I reckon probably three times a week, I would be visualizing this life, it almost felt like I was living it. It almost felt like I knew it. And that is the biggest like kind of manifestation as a secret is like, if you want something, you need to get comfortable with it, you need to feel worthy of it.
Speaker 2: And then holy crap, it just like the attraction.
Speaker 1: And getting there is so much easier because when we don't feel comfortable, when we don't feel worthy, where it feels completely out of touch, you know, it's it's out of touch, it feels like it's not ours. And so like, yeah, I spent a lot of time literally getting comfortable with what would it feel like to be my own boss, you know, to take charge, to lead employees, to all this sort of thing. And it's funny because I'm currently a new life right now, not like a new life, but I guess like the next Georgie. And it's just really surreal to think that the current life I'm living literally to a tea, Like this morning, I literally did that. I woke up, I made a coffee, I walked to the beach, I listened to a podcast, I did my informations and meditation and then came here recording the episode, and then Coop's going to pick me up and I'm going to nh you know, to lead my employees. And it's like, yeah, it's surreal, but guys, this stuff works, and it's like if you can embody that person you want to become and really get into that, that's when the magic happens. So yeah, like, I think it's called like acting as if. So I did that a lot, So I'd love for you to start thinking about, like how would it feel. And this is only if you do want to take your side hustle full time. If you don't, that is completely fine. I think we need to take the pressure off. But if is if that is something that is like a goal. It's like act as if, even if you don't have employees, like feel into what it would feel like. The next thing is like, you don't have negative feelings towards your full time job, even though you know, my full time job was kind of draining the life out of me, and you know, I hated certain things, like the fact that we started at seven thirty and I just thought it was outrageous because I was like if we started at nine like every other law firm, I'd have so much more time to you know, work on my side, hushle, just have more time for me. But never be negative towards your nine to five, because it's like we just don't want that toxic energy. And also like I used to see my nine to five as like how grateful I was that I was getting real world experience that I could then apply to my own life, to my own business. And also I had a safe income, like I had a mortgage at this point, so it's like, thank God, I've got this job that I know, you know, my mortgage is taken care of. I can somewhat live, but also work on my side hustle and like kind of get it to the point, like I said, where I could match it. And so like I really want you to start seeing your nine to five a as a positive. And like even when I would get negative feelings or I have to work leg or something, I used to sit there and sit in gratitude and be like I am so thankful I had this job, even though I know this won't be my future, Like this is towards the end, even though I won't I know this won't be my future. I am so thankful and really sitting in gratitude because we know gratitude is one of the highest vibes. What it is the highest vibe, So like, don't have toxic or negative feelings towards your nine to five because it's we just don't need that. Also, like I said, like, realize with a side hustle is every free second, you're probably gonna have to use that for your side hustle. Like like I said, side hustle and not for fainthearted. It's you're working before work, during lunchtime, after work, and you just have to make it happen. It's funny because a really weird thing happened is when I left my corporate job and was like, you know, full time side hustle. I went through a couple of months and I said to Tim, I'm like, I literally have you know, seven and a half more hours per day and I'm not getting anything done. And it's because when you're in this side hustle.
Speaker 2: Mode, you get shit done.
Speaker 1: There's no scrolling on Instagram, there's no you know, being preoccupied. You get shit done. And so like I just I'm sorry, but it's bullshit. If you come to me and you go, oh, I just don't have the time. You have the time. If I had the time, you have the time, and you just have to make it work and you just have to be in that mindset. And yeah, it's like every free second you put towards that side hustle and if you don't have passion for that, then maybe this isn't the side hustle for you. Also, another big thing is like teach yourself and be constantly learning. I definitely have had a couple of like business coaches and stuff, but that didn't come to a lot later. The biggest catalysts for me learning what to do on my side hustle and just like life in general, was podcasts and audio books. So, guys, podcasts are free and there's I guarantee you there's a podcast about anything like if you don't know about social media influencer marketing, I guarantee you there's a podcast. If you don't know you know how to start a website or you shopify anything like that, there's YouTube videos, there's podcasts. And then also I'm such a big believer with books because they completely change your mindset and if you think about it. For example, if I'm going to write a book, I'm going to put all my best shit in it because otherwise, like I'm not gonna put out, you know, a piece of crap. So books they're literally, you know, they're twenty four dollars or auto boats fifteen dollars a month, and you can read a book a month. Could you get a credit and you're literally reading the best you know, brain juice from other people, the lessons they've learned, like the best lessons they've learned in their life for twenty four dollars. Like utilize that, And I know, like then on top of that, it's like courses and those sorts of things, and that does start to get a bit more pricey. But I just hate when people are like, oh, well, I don't have the resources. It's like, no, listen to a podcast, they're free, and there's YouTube videos, Like there's so much free resources out there.
Speaker 2: You just have to you know, be.
Speaker 1: Proactive and be ready to listen and learn. The last point I really want to chat about is surrounding yourself with people who have done it before. So me, personally, none of my friends were doing what I was doing.
Speaker 2: No one I really knew.
Speaker 1: Even like in the influencers space, I didn't really have any people to look up to who were doing what I was doing. And what really was my expander and kind of like my permission slip to do what I did is I listened to It was probably mostly podcasts of women who had done what I wanted to do. And so even though I didn't know these women personally or these people personally, listening to stories where someone had, you know, worked nine from five a nine to five, had a side hustle, built it up and then left it and been successful was kind of like a permission slip for me to do it too. And guys, it's kind of like you know that whole thing of I'm gonna butcher this, but like you know, back in the day where no one could run a mile under a certain time, and then one person did it, and then after that, like heaps of people started to do it. And it's just like the human brain, like if other people have done it and done it well, we kind of think we can do it as well, and then we do it. And that's literally the reason why I was able to do it is because I surrounded myself with people aka you know podcasts, you know celebrities, not celebrities, but you know people in the space who had done it that made me believe I can do it too. So again, you are the curator of your own life. Follow on Instagram people who are.
Speaker 2: Doing what you want to do.
Speaker 1: Don't just fucking follow on Instagram the skinny model who has no substance and you know, no life goals, no offense to that person. Like follow people who in by you, who give you permission, because oh my god, you're going to reach your goals so much further if you believe you can do it too. I remember I used to listen like you guys know, I love Cara from Style Your Mind podcast and she literally would like record podcasts on side hustles of like leaving her side hustle, sorry, leaving her nine to five job and doing her side hustle. And I used to sit there and be like, one day I will record a podcast telling other people how they can leave, you know, their nine to five and do their side hustle and be successful because I've done it too, And do you know what I mean? Like, I just needed to see that someone else could do it do it to have that belief in myself and then I went and did it. And if you're listening to this, like let me be your expander where you're like Georgie did it, I can do it too. And like I say, guys, I'm not special. You guys know, I come from very humble beginnings where I worked all through my law degree. I worked all like full time, through my side hustle and all those sorts of things. So if I can do it, you can do it too. Anyway, guys, I'm going to wrap up this podcast. Thank you so much for listening. Also, I just wanted to do a bit of a shout out and say I'm going to be doing more episodes with the Advice with G. So if you have any questions for me whatsoever, email me at Georgie at Georgie Stevenson dot net and have the subject line as Advice with G and I'll be picking a couple of those in the next couple of weeks and getting back to that segment.
Speaker 2: But thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I've got to quickly get ready so Koopy can pick me up and I'll chat to you guys soon.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening for another RNC episode.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate.
Speaker 1: Taking the time to be here with me, and also for taking the time for yourself. If you found this episode helpful, it would be so amazing if you shared it on your stories and tagged us, or simply just send it on to a girlfriend or family member who would benefit from listening. We are an independent podcast run by me and my amazing podcast manager, so it would mean the world to us if you left a review on the Apple podcast app. Also, if you're vibing this podcast and the concepts we're chatting about, and your craving community, please come and join us over at the RNC podcast community Facebook group. Just search Rise and Conquer podcast community on Facebook and I will be in there to chat to you until next time. The