Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Which one of you producers spoke to a caller called Matthew. It's just emailing, christ I just called your show about smuggling analyst at substance and they said it was inappropriate to broadcast it. Yes it is, Matthew. Yeah, absolutely, we're too much chocolate and salami. We don't know about dope because it's illegal and you go to prison. Don't email me moaning about that.
Speaker 3: Don't get a for you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not when I is sticking it as well. All right, last few course, Joe, good morning, Hi Christian. Hey Joe, what have you smuggled him?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't me. It was my elderly grown parents.
Speaker 3: Let them take the fall.
Speaker 1: How dare you rebels?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Every year I travel from Victoria to Queensland or Darwin in the with their caravan and I smuggle fruit and vegetables in under the bonnet of.
Speaker 4: Their car.
Speaker 1: Because they grew their own fruit and vegetables and they weren't going to part with them at the checkpoint.
Speaker 3: So where would they hide them around the car? Oh?
Speaker 1: They hide their pumpkins around the radiator and any knocking cranny that hide.
Speaker 3: Their inner card boarder. There's no room. Everything's crampy, bloody great.
Speaker 1: Pump The officers at the you know the straight line, they would go through the car they would go through the caravan. They would never find groma and.
Speaker 2: Grandpapok bloody grape pumpkin under the bonnet.
Speaker 3: Radio no idea.
Speaker 1: I know they got away with it, all the bogies.
Speaker 3: Very much. You call no I think Linda, Good.
Speaker 4: Morning, Linda, Good morning, Christian. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good Linda. So smuggling was it you?
Speaker 4: It was my father, the smuggler.
Speaker 3: What did he try and smuggle?
Speaker 4: So he he's a pigeon flyer back in the UK and when he came to visit me in Australia, he smuggled back six pigeon eggs in an egg carton, wrapped in cotton wool and he had to turn them every two hours on the plane. And he now has baby pigeons that he flies back in the UK.
Speaker 2: So hang on a minute, right, So, because people might not know this, but in the UK, especially up north where you're from, I can tell me an accident pigeon fancying and flying. They competed called pigeon fences. Mike Tyson does this when he's got these coops as well. They raced them.
Speaker 3: So did your dad race them?
Speaker 4: Yes, so they're racing now. Yes. So he actually they actually hatch did the eggs because he turned them every two hours on the fly in the toilets. And now he's got baby pigeons.
Speaker 3: This is amazing. It was like a hen, sort of mother hen.
Speaker 2: For the eggs he put.
Speaker 4: He put them in an egg carton wrapped in cotton wool and smuggled them in his backpack and then he went into the toilets every two hours on the fly, an.
Speaker 3: Egg cart and going in to the toilet every two hours. Yet, what does that do?
Speaker 2: And so when he came to visit you, they hatched his The pigeons were born in Australia.
Speaker 4: They was born in Australia. So he was sitting in my garden having a cup of tea, and then he saw the pigeons flying around. So he got in the car and followed where the pigeons were to what house they was at, knocked on the door, had a few chats with him and a couple of cups of tea, and said do you mind if I take a few eggs and he was like no, no, of course. So he brought them back to my house and I was like what are you doing with them? And he was like, I'm taking them back to the UK and he did.
Speaker 3: So they were born.
Speaker 2: So he took them back to UK and then that they're hatched and then he starts racing them in competition.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so he put them underneath his own pigeons in the shed so that they hatched, and then he hatched them and now he races them pigeons.
Speaker 3: Those pigeons don't know they've got Australian kids.
Speaker 4: They have, Yeah, they have no idea.
Speaker 3: It could be on like a pigeon version of who do you think you are? Olenda? We're going to send you a golden kettle.
Speaker 4: What a story, Christian, what legend? Yes?
Speaker 3: Definitely, all right, thanks a lot mate. Bye. This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast