Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast, Sweetie Pies. You would not believe the situation that I found myself in. What are the odds that someone a listener would dm us on a Flex and Rooms page and then for me is doing the most squashing thing. She's been pulling hair out of her hair brush, placing it on the table. It's got hair balls in it, the whole thing, and then looks disgustedly at it and then me as if we did it together. I'm not an accomplice anyway. The beauty of this story is that I'm about to tell it in the party anyway. It's just a beautiful meeting of minds and a reminder to say present aware and to be be an actual community member. Yea interact with people around you like you're part of the same community.
Speaker 3: That's it, you know, Flex and Frooms, Let's go.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Kaita.
Speaker 3: We are always wanting to know how to improve our lives, particularly when it comes to relationships. Ah h, not just romantic platonic two familial community professional belonging. A listener has sent me or sent us a dam yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I do see it's as high flex and rooms here. If you want to send us any dms you've got some queries, concerns, want advice or feedback, just dm o Instagram It's flex and rooms.
Speaker 3: High flex and frooms Love Hut. Long time listening here hoping for a bit of advice. I've recently moved cities to melp and I'm currently in the thick of it, thick of my haven't found my places or people phase of the move. We've all been there. I work remotely and recently went through a breakup of a long term relo. Oh my network in Melbourne is small and I want to find a way to connect with people I find. The go to suggestion is usually join a team sport or do a painting class. It's often hard to cultivate friendships in those settings without coming off as a bit desperate or putting too much pressure on the other people you've just met. I feel like you both have an elevated take. Thank you so much. Thank you on appreciating third spaces in a way that I'm inspired by. She knows a lingo. We need you to remind me what third spaces is Flex place.
Speaker 2: It isn't your home or your work, but like a third community building space. Some people it's like a cafe, a cool park. Everybody hangs out at a club night. Everybody goes to Hope Radio, Hope Street Radio. I know Flex recently moved to Melbourne. Do you have any advice on where slash how to orient to yourself in the city, battling loneliness and also making new connections and trying new things while also retaining your identity. Thanks in advance if this question makes it to your potty.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Another one fantastically written response, Flex, see you take the floor.
Speaker 2: I would begin by saying, as someone who's also recently moved to Melbourne, I'm in a similar predicament to you, but I have a different different take when it comes to making friends. All my favorite closest friends are people that I have had for a long time. I'm not in the business of making a flippant friend, because it's really hard to break up with people, especially on a friends I just linger forever and ever and ever and ever an eer in error. What I will say, though, is I have one really close friend in Melbourne that I want to cultivate like an ongoing friendship with and then I have made a really good point of being a very available party friend. And so if you already don't have a network there, you can do one of two things, one of three things. Actually, when I went to Ghana by myself a couple of years ago, I was like, I want to make friends with cool people. I want to land and hang out with cool people.
Speaker 1: What did I do?
Speaker 2: Cold Dams, Cold Dams other influencers. No, it just like it depends. Like I let's say there was a club night and people tagged themselves there be like, oh my god, this is so strange, but I'm coming to this place in a couple of weeks time. Do you have any recommendations or so on and so forth, And people would be like, oh my god, this.
Speaker 1: Is so old, Like hey, you are so old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was a time and place right. And the second thing you can do is what I've observed someone on TikTok Do is she made herself a challenge of making fifteen new friends. She put it out into the ether like on the internet said Hey, I'm new here, I don't have any friends. I want to make them. This is about me. I work in media, I do this.
Speaker 1: I do this.
Speaker 2: If anybody is keen on going to a dinner, DM me and we can go on a dinner. And it was bold and brave because she put herself out there. But what she got in a response is people who resonated with her, with her esthetic, with her approach, reaching out and saying, hey, I'm your person. And she's been going on these friend dates every week, every week, every week. I think that can be a bit daunting for the average person. But I think what people are saying when they're like, how do I make friends? You don't want flip at friends, you don't want like bottom of the barrel. You want some high quality people. And so I think you need to do a high quality thing and take a big risk and jump there. I've did a lot of that on my TikTok actually, people just being like, hey, I want to make friends. Who's down? And I think you can just start virtually. You don't need to be out doing dinner with strangers. And then the third thing, ask someone for a recommendation. The person that I made friends with in Melbourne is also from Sydney who we have mutual friends, and they are somebody who can I hang out with in Melbourne. Do you know anyone? They're like, oh my god, a flexious mood. Yes, you should DM her. So put it out to your actual network and say, hey, babies just moved to Melbourne. Who knows anyone? You know my vibe? Put me in contact. That is Rush your network. Let's go back to the analog days.
Speaker 3: Janie Yrsel, this is flex and rooms.
Speaker 1: I'm Kater.
Speaker 2: Got some really concerning news coming from the depths of the Internet. I didn't even need to go to Reddit for this one. Taylor Swift is a witch. I do understand deformation, so I will retract that and say fan to Taylor Swift had been experiencing amnesia after going to a concert. To me, I thought, is that just what happens when you're adrenaline is really high? I know between me and you, we're always telling stories and adding new elements every time.
Speaker 3: No, that's me, and you're calling me out for it.
Speaker 4: Tell them what really happened, embellishing as we go.
Speaker 2: So I started to do some research, and you could imagine I just got deeper and deeper into a conspiracy hole. So I had to like zoom out and go to just like regular trusted media. I found out that, like psychological distress after concerts, is pretty normal to experience gaps and laps in memory. I would have stopped there if I didn't see footage from Taylor Swiss concert. Why is she running around with ten other people in hooded cloaks, hooded cloaks doing swaying and chanting and hums and hymns. There's this quote that she sirens out. She says, wait for the signal and I'll meet you after. It's in her most recent concert, Tyler Swift is performing.
Speaker 3: If you know this is going to raise some controversy in the comments, but this just doesn't look great to me.
Speaker 2: If sis was all, if Sis was Lanadel right, we wouldn't think anything from it. What kind of There's no Tailor Swift song in that key. There's not one in that tempo. She's casting spells. People were like, oh, well, her concerts over three hours long. There's forty songs. These aren't casual Taylor's with fans going to the errors tour. These are super fans. They would remember what they did or did not experience. And that's counted with seeing a bunch of videos on TikTok and people can't remember. It's spooky. If something happens to me it was Taylor, but no defamation. What are the odds of this that just happened to us? We got a DM a couple of days ago of someone correcting the way that I said hutzpa on our show a couple of weeks ago. What are the odds that I would get on a plane from Sydney to Melbourne and that same girl who DMed us was sitting next to me on the plane. That plane ended up being delayed and we talked for three hours. She taught me Yiddish, she showed me her world, We talked about the show, We talked about each other. She showed me this archive memory on her Instagram story of her in a UNI lecturer and she was speaking to her class about this podcast that she was listening to. And then someone privately DMed her and said, was that Bobo and Flex my last podcast? And she was like, yes, of course, this is just like these things don't happen so anyway, leading with the DM that we got right before I met this woman on a plane, she said. Longtime listener also saw rooms at Bestie's Form's comedic show, which was a sold out success. Mind you sold up three or four times.
Speaker 4: She said it was top notch, incredible, hot and sexy. Thank you Dahlia, absolutely so. She said, I'm loving that you use a lot of Yiddish words. I didn't even know we did that, but you know, maybe maybe without even realizing, Schleppers said a lot on the potty and flex us hutzpa in the Jonahill Epp. I'd love to give you some more words and phrases in Yiddish to add to the repertoire, because it's the sassiest language. You just can't translate these sassy and incredibly useful words into English. And that was a big part of our conversation. Listen to this voice note.
Speaker 1: So most common ones are schlep and schmuck. I'd say it was like something that is an effort or far away. So I might say to my mates, I always schlep to the northern parts of melb you know, can we become south east south of the Ara just out there. I'm always slepping to you guys like schmark is a silly person. So maybe someone who forgot their keys or their phone, or like at a restaurant or something like, ah, what a schmark. We have to go back. It's a great word. Kodspa is an awesome word. Love it. Flex used it the other day. It's pronounced with the sound, which is hard so needs practice. Kotspar is someone with extreme self confidence or audacity. And if you want to use it like someone who's hoodsp Dick has a bit of guts, like someone like a bit of cheek. So wow, that's really hoods but Dick. That they did that, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, just incredible. You can only imagine just the sheer like intensity of this conversation where like barreling ideas and words and this and that and how would I use it? And it was just super fantastic. But the reason why this experience was so instrumental is because I've been talking a lot about this epiphany I had post watching a TikTok. It happened to the best tis Yeah, And it was talking about how we spend a lot of time trying to act in ways that make us really proud of who are becoming. But the person needs to be mindful of is who we are When there's no incentive to be anyone good, Who are you? When you walk into a lift and you see a random stranger? Do you acknowledge them? Who are you? When you're walking down a random street and you see a person, do you smile at them? Do you acknowledge it you're both human in a shared space.
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: No, And so in this instance, the only reason why I even interacted with Timna in the first place is because when she got into the plane, she was holding all of these things and there wasn't a place to put her bag in the overhead carriage, so she was like holding grapes and bottle And I said, do you mind if I grabbed this for you and put it on the chair so you have arms to put your stuff up, And she was.
Speaker 1: Like, it's you.
Speaker 3: So you're a good Samaradan.
Speaker 2: I'm a good Smaradan. But it was so chill because I could imagine a different time I would have seen her struggle and be like, that's her business, Like I don't know how I'm not gonna come out of my own bubble to go help this stranger. Sheer big girl, she got it, But I was like, no, Like I see her struggling, I can just ask that she needs tolf and she says no or good, but then it was this whole thing.
Speaker 3: Man, that's so crazy that she had literally DMed this to us Magic Prior Magical, you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.