Speaker 1: I heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold when I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 1: Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian, the bird that you're doing the impression of. I don't know what the bird is, but it's exactly the same as a bird that I threw a shoe app thirty years ago that used to live at my mom and dad's place in the tree.
Speaker 1: The shoe is still in the tree to.
Speaker 2: This day, stuck in this bird and it goes like this, uh huh, what is that?
Speaker 1: It's not a wattle bird? Christian? Is it the bird from the movie Up? No?
Speaker 2: Is it a drong goo? I don't believe that's a bird? So is it a butcher bird? Never heard of that? I don't know, but it's a very common Australian one. But what is it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Now I've got an app. It's like a Shazam for birds called I.
Speaker 2: Used to have this There's a Bird Love. I had it for about five years. I've never used it once and it was like thirty bucks a year, So I just you know where you would actually have these things just running, and my wife was like, what is this with you're paying Merlin, the mythical Merlin the King Arthur Pendragon story. So oh no, that's a bird sporting acts that way. I'm married to a guy who has it. App You've never you know it's going to go. I've never used it.
Speaker 1: But now I need it. What does it say? It is?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: I need you to do it live into the phones. I'm going to come around.
Speaker 2: I'm around. I will prepare myself right Ah, I wants more please?
Speaker 6: Ah? Eh?
Speaker 1: Is that? What is that bird? I thought there's one in here? Yeah, but what is it? It's a very Australian bird, isn't it. You've heard this one?
Speaker 2: It starts, It starts at about five am, the morning bird.
Speaker 1: It's a morning it can literally. In fact, I know it starts. It wakes up later than we do because I know if I ever hear it, I'm not going to get it's.
Speaker 5: Your alarm clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a backup. Now what it's Merlin saying?
Speaker 5: It says, sorry cannot.
Speaker 4: Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Now it's not a dove, it's not a pigeon. No, no, no, it's rarer than that. But common. It's rare and common. What is this bird that goes?
Speaker 1: You hear it every morning hiding in playing sight.
Speaker 2: It is driving me and judging my The many many text are coming in now I'm passing it on to every poor innocent listener who's now going is it a dove? Yesterday my wife and I feel our dinner. We had chicken tie balls. One thee was left over, and that that into work today. Right, So it's in the fridge here, cooling nicely to have a cold chicken tie flavored ball. My wife goes, I'm sure someone else went taking that for the fridge went. No other human being. I wouldn't want this. This is unstealable. Sometimes, you know, other people do help themselves with certain food and I accident accidentally ate someone sandwich here left ten bucks to them to buy a new one so bad.
Speaker 1: It was a lot better. It's an upgrade than the one I brought.
Speaker 2: But no one is going into that work fridge and taking my Why is this a low chicken will cut in tupper weather?
Speaker 1: There's not.
Speaker 2: There's a dry one, just cutting half like a madman's snack.
Speaker 1: Madman is ready cold and raw dog in it.
Speaker 5: For what sort of meal. Do you think is that your lunch or is that morning tea?
Speaker 1: Or that's not him? Oh my.
Speaker 7: Tear me up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, rotine power punch.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now in show we had an email and to be back to school. And I don't know if this they even still do this now, But do you remember when there used to be a class pet table idea and then young psychos were allowed to look after over the weekend and hilarity did not ensue normally that thing was lost or worse than that, perished over the weekend. But it used to be a well known thing, didn't it. A class would have you know it, maybe something like a guinea pig. Did you guys ever get to look after it? I was never trusted with it.
Speaker 7: Yeah. We had mice in year seven, lucky parents. For science we had to do mice. We had these white mice and we looked after It was for the whole year, and we had about.
Speaker 1: Class of simpletons in that whole year.
Speaker 2: Must have been a bunch of thickies that could like, oh we got a special thing and just grab that.
Speaker 1: Probably a rat, actually that was just a big ass. Oh no, no, that's Marsel the mouse, big thick tail foot long road.
Speaker 7: And they lived in this big sort of kind of house outhouse off the science wing at high school, and it's stank.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: The science room or the science pot had that little outhouse where they would conduct weird experiments in there, probably for nefarious government agencies. I thought, you know they're up to they're up to shnanigans in the skullduggery is one went on with those mice in there.
Speaker 1: More than just our teaching.
Speaker 7: Mister Novak used to go in there and have a durry at lunchtime and have a cigarette in amongst the smell.
Speaker 2: Yes, all the all the teachers right in the eighties all smoked. Jimmy, you walk past that teacher's room. They had that room where they were just crying there and drink heavily.
Speaker 1: And also they didn't like you.
Speaker 2: We used to always like walk by and just stare at the right and they used to go berserk, like bang them.
Speaker 1: When you go stop. Look again.
Speaker 2: They needed that break, and it was like thick winds. And also not just cigarette smoke like fall to a secrets pipes. There's no teachers now smoking pipes. But they were like especially the older teachers like history teachers.
Speaker 7: About it was always the history teacher had a pipe.
Speaker 1: Big old thick pipe.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just like city in big old stone there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our one, right.
Speaker 2: I used to smoke a pipe during class, so we do Wilson to make a salient point and it would take it out on points the mouth and you, boy, I don't see after start chewing on that fillows cancer states out.
Speaker 1: Of the pipe between their teeth.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we had mice.
Speaker 1: Alex, what did you have? We didn't.
Speaker 2: We didn't have any of the boarding school each other around in the old pet about there again in the dorms light.
Speaker 1: Being in the country. I don't think they really trusted it. Heavy class pit. No, we didn't have any. We had lots of snakes in the in the school. We were talking about the other day.
Speaker 2: To take a pet snake over, especially brown dad, look at this snake at school. Probably I reckon once a month at least. But no, we never had a pit. Did you ever get taken back? I imagine you were a prefect like Patsy.
Speaker 5: I think the pets were. I mean I was school vice captain.
Speaker 1: But it debate captain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think it was getting phased out. I'd love to know people still do it, because we didn't have any pets by all the time I was at school.
Speaker 2: You weren't, just didn't. I can't imagine it's allowed to do now. It seems crazy and rightly so. Animals have rights, and one of them is young psychos aka kids don't look after us at the weekend. People that can't look after themselves and trusted with a school pet. It's a terrible idea, all right, called it now thirteen fifty five twenty two. Did you get to look after the class pet?
Speaker 1: What was it? And does it still happen to this day?
Speaker 4: You were Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Taking you back to school, two women.
Speaker 2: We used to have class pets, an actual animal and then wait for it. The kicker is we were allowed to take it home, so I revenber. Actually sometimes during the summer holidays someone would have it for a couple of weeks and that you never saw that animal ever again.
Speaker 1: It was everything brought up, like, hey, why has that rabbit?
Speaker 2: By the way, they weren't even asked. The school were like and that's the end of that problem. Though, because one of the old thickies has got it, you know, like from some meny. Yes, Lenny, we've got a real life Lenny, I didn't heard a rabbit.
Speaker 1: Blenda's on the line. Blenda, you're a teacher.
Speaker 6: Yes i am. I'm a primary school teacher, right, just.
Speaker 2: Who we're looking for this morning. So do you still have class pets?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Up until five Up until five years ago, I had four blue tongue lizards and quite a lot of finally stick insects, right.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, And so there's no more of this any more. Kids getting to look after over the weekend.
Speaker 6: Well, they used to see them during class and take them out. They'd stick the spine leaf stick insects on their pencil cases, or they call up their arms on their heads, and when the stick insects multiplied, they would be able to take them home and peat them. Right, because when they multiplied, you'd get hundreds.
Speaker 2: It's the seven of the rabbits as well. Stick Linda, Thank you very much. You cool have a good day. You two buye Now tell me.
Speaker 1: About Sean Dooley.
Speaker 2: You've got very excited just now, Yes is making a cup of tea. Came back in the studio and the Rio pro was very excited. Who is Sean Dooley.
Speaker 5: This is the Sean Dooley. He's the Chief BURDENRD of Australia. Yes, and he used to have a segment I believe called squawk Back on ABC Radio.
Speaker 2: Bring it Back, Bring It Back, Sean. Just a man, I need to speak to Sean. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Christian.
Speaker 1: So you're a fellow bird lover. Are you an ornithologist?
Speaker 3: No, no, but I am. I work with BirdLife Australia who run the Aussie Bird Count every year, which is just about to kick off in October. So I'm on the bridge between the bird nerds and the general public translator.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, I gotcha.
Speaker 3: I speak bird and.
Speaker 1: Love it Sean. What is the bird Count then? What is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a thing we do at BirdLife Australia every year where we get people to count the download the bird Count app and count birds in their backyard.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we got we're talking Okay, the listeners to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we'd love it because it feels in a huge gap of knowledge for us at BirdLife because we don't know enough about our common birds. We focus generally on rare birds and so this really helps, but also it means that people can work out what what the hell it is that's making that noise.
Speaker 1: In that that's me. That's me today, Shawn, You're just right.
Speaker 3: I made this app I do.
Speaker 1: What's the app?
Speaker 2: Because I know there's probably a lot of people listening that fancy doing this and if you've got kids and family, what a great thing to do teaching about the ones of the natural world.
Speaker 1: What's the app?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's called the Ossie bird Camp app and it's the registrations have just open so you can download it, but you can't count until October. But there's a little feature on the app which you can put the details of a bird you see, like its size, shape and color, and it'll give you some suggestions with photos of what that bird might actually be that's driving in nuts in your backyard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is me right now? Then?
Speaker 2: What by Sean is this? It's three parts to it. It's uh all day long, twenty four seven. It goes to work at about five thirty am.
Speaker 1: Uh uh what is that?
Speaker 3: Sean Unkenny? Is your just what your impersonation is? I think with the tonya using I reckon It's actually a pied curral which is like a member of the magpie family, but it's a bit bigger, with a with a yellow eye and much more black. And they people who've been to the snow would know it because it used to sort of only be up in the mountains, but they've they've migrated into the cities in like Sydney in the eighties and nineties, then Melbourne in the last twenty years. And I reckon that that might that might be the call. It's giving a it's quite a loud one and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really really, i'd say loud splash irritating.
Speaker 1: You can't sleep in at the weekend.
Speaker 2: That thing is up there at like five thirty am. It's like, get up and you can't turn that. You know, some bird noises you turn them off, you can kind of like.
Speaker 1: So it's a pied.
Speaker 3: Krawan, yes, yeah, black and white one.
Speaker 1: So there different types of krawan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a there's a gray carawong, but that's much more found out in the bush, right, and so you get it on the fringes of Melbourne and sort of Geelong and prices like that, but it's not really in the suburbs much. There's another line in Tezzi called the Black carow On, which is the biggest of the lot.
Speaker 2: It would be over there now, Sean. This has been a really really enjoyable chat my friend. Now I've got your number, I know we are so we can start counting the birds in the backyard in October and its Aussie Bird.
Speaker 1: Count is the app.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Great lovely to chat to. Sean. Have a great day. Thanks you calling the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks mate.
Speaker 4: Christian O'Connell Show Podcast