Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to that Tennis twenty nine days till Summer of Tennis kicks off down under here in Australia. Next up, Breakthrough Stars, who is best poised to win her maiden Grand Slam in twenty twenty six and the winner is the players and coaches in contention for the ATP Awards. All that is ahead with me Zavian Mueller bark and back from her latest trip around the Sun. Happy birthday, Bryce Stewart, Thanks good good, Okay, that was a bit cold across the desk WTA coach and soon to be daddy, Oh Luke Saville.
Speaker 2: Daddy, Oh what we'll call you now?
Speaker 1: It's not weird interesting, but the real headline I'm over it. Making her in person debut on the Pod is Ossie Doubles Number one. Ellen Prez, thank you, wow, Bo.
Speaker 3: This is a moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a moment for me. Especially's having fun.
Speaker 2: I am having fun. She's really having fun.
Speaker 1: Luck looks scared with that no novel's really chilled out and happy. I like this one.
Speaker 4: This is a big deal. Ellen joined the show.
Speaker 2: We've been trying for months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got a little taste of your presence when you're over at Cincy. You died in That was pretty cool. But tell me, guys, what is your highlight of the season. Things are kind of wrapping up before things get heated up in Melbourne and around Australia.
Speaker 4: I think mine I was having to think, and I come back to Wimbledon. You know, Dasher and I were there this year, and just like the last round of qualities there, for some reason, there's just I mean obviously brings about great memories for me I qualified three times there, but I mean we're on the other side of the world, and the camaraderie with the Australians I just love. So I think everyone gets out, gets behind the Aussies and even this year is a great contingent of TA staff and even just players that are in the main or coming out to Roehampton getting around each other. For some reason that just epitomizes the Aussie culture in my opinion.
Speaker 1: So that was probably my nice little humble brag there.
Speaker 5: Time I thought you're going to talk about how you got Dasher pregnant on tour, well.
Speaker 1: I suggest suggested that what about the conception.
Speaker 4: Already gone to Instagram.
Speaker 2: It's the best Instagram video.
Speaker 1: So if you want to know where babies are made, just check out.
Speaker 2: D on Tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you, all of you.
Speaker 6: I probably have a few highlights actually, I mean, if we're talking tennis, I think it started off in Abi Dhabi playing with Elene Ostapenko.
Speaker 3: I think that in itself was very different, a fun experience.
Speaker 2: Actually.
Speaker 6: I think she's a bit of a hoot once you get to her Instagram.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, I've seen some of the things. I've seen some of the things she's been posting.
Speaker 1: There's there's one item got my on pair of broken shoelaces. Really, but it's the sort of thing that I feel like she might go up.
Speaker 6: I've been laughing at some of the Twitter stuff about it coming back to an empty house and stuff like that. I think that was Yeah, no, I was about to bring him up, but he didn't even let me bring you up.
Speaker 2: I was about to.
Speaker 3: Say Luke was my coach that week and that was the start of something big.
Speaker 6: But also at the end I didn't really get us finals. Yeah no, no, that was the start of it. So that was a great week. And then obviously going back with Storm Storm Hunter again, we got back on the court over the clay swing. We did a semis in Rome. So yeah, just getting back out there with her. I think she's a great person, great friend. You know, it's not even about the tenors. Sometimes it's about having you know, a friend on tour, someone to do things with, the camaraderie.
Speaker 3: So it was great to reunite with her.
Speaker 6: And I think lastly, just like Billy Jenkin Cup, you know, finishing off the year in Hobart, what a fun time. The group of girls we had are just amazing. Everyone really supports one another. It was a great vibe, great atmosphere. Also playing again with Storm and just getting back into the world group. I think that was important for us, and we set ourselves a task to do that, and yeah, the way we kind of you know carried ourselves and did it was yeah, we're really proud.
Speaker 3: So it was a great answer as.
Speaker 1: It should be. It was amazing we did and she was like just a very proud mom.
Speaker 3: She set the tone. She was great to have as captain.
Speaker 6: But she made it known like girls, this is my first time doing it, don't mess it up.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Bit of inspiration. Not wrong with that. So from a little question to a the question so the big question this week. We trialed this last week and it was actually quite interesting. So I want to put it to the group. Everyone, get your nominations in which WTA player will win their maiden Grand Slam title in twenty twenty six. So let's put some names out there first and then we can drill into the y. I thought i'd go first, so I was very scientific in this. I basically looked at the top ten and started at number one, checked if they won the Grand slams.
Speaker 2: Nope, too, I think it was less scientific.
Speaker 1: No, this, that's that was my whole there. Actually, yeah, I thought it was quite clever but also efficient.
Speaker 2: That's the most work you've ever done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not just here, but just in general.
Speaker 2: So anyway, keep going.
Speaker 1: By the time we got down to number four, Anisimova piqued my interest her year so far. She made the second round at the Australian Open, fourth round at Rolling Garross, but in the final for both Wimbledon and US Open. So pretty good run so far. But you are in agreement.
Speaker 3: I am an agreement. Actually, that's who I would also pick.
Speaker 2: And I actually have some substance.
Speaker 3: Live rankings.
Speaker 6: Who's he didn't actually realize she was next in line ranking wise, it hadn't won one. But I think there's a reason why she's that ranking. I think she had a great year, you know, making back to back finals. I think it's kind of really cool to see how she bounced back from the finals loss that she had against Eger. There was such a you know, convincing scoreline. I think it shows you know, you're human, you get nervous, but it shows that, you know, after that, she was very fearless and she didn't let that bother her and affect any of her results.
Speaker 3: And I think she had very consistent.
Speaker 6: Results, beat some of the top players for the rest of the year in finals, in riad, I know she had some really good wins as well. But she's always been a great junior, you know. I think she got to like world number two. She's won US Open Juniors finals of Roland Garross, and she's done it all across different surfaces. So I think her aim is very aggressive. I think her back end is by far the best on tour. Scary, scary good anyone that's played her. That's the first thing they mentioned. They're just like, don't give her a backhand, and just she looks very composed and in a good place. I don't know if you ever follow like her Instagram and stuff like that, but she has a good group of family and friends and well outside the tennis world, and I think that's important. I think she doesn't get too wrapped up in, you know, all the other stuff. I think she grounds herself, resets really well, and makes it all about tennis when she's there. And I think that's important, like having a great team, great people around you.
Speaker 3: And enjoying it.
Speaker 6: So obviously she took the break she needed from tennis. She's come back and she's really ready. She looks fresh, and I think I.
Speaker 5: Think she probably realizes now that taking that break was the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: You've got to.
Speaker 6: Right, absolutely, And I think a few people looked back and be like, why would you stop?
Speaker 3: You would you know?
Speaker 6: So good and this and that, and now we all look stupid. We're like, well, maybe we should do it. Amanda is doing much better.
Speaker 2: That's the way to do it.
Speaker 1: It's a holiday, Yeah, what about you, LCK Without.
Speaker 4: Question, So mine is Belinda Bencic, I currently ranked eleven, started the year at drum roll for twenty one, so incredible year. By benchicchim Oh. That's for twenty and I think, you know, obviously coming back with a fresher new perspective as a mother. I think that's really sort of you know, she seems to really be enjoying her tennis and her time on tour. Incredible resume Korea high ranking of four in February twenty twenty. She's made fifteen meal usd and prize money. Not too bad. Olympic gold medalers from Tokyo won the feed Cup in twenty twenty two, and best Lam results are semis this year at Wimby and semis of the US Open in twenty nineteen. So I think she's as Ellen said as well, you know, I think she's been also a great junior. I think she cracked the top one hundred when she's seventeen, so I think she's coming back. She's looking dangerous. I think Ellen can quote me here, but she's better on the faster surfaces, so I'm not too surprised that her best results are US Open and Wimbledon. So she's one definitely on my radar, and I think she'll be coming to this train openers. Definitely one of the one of the players to beat.
Speaker 2: She's a mum.
Speaker 1: Well are you in the back of your mind going hey, Dash, secret weapon? After March you could be back in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was maybe part of my agenda for sure to choose that coaching moment was so now. Even actually in Abu Dhabi started the year when we saw bench it she won the singles there and you know, she had her baby there, her husband and just looked very settled. And I think that's cool to see. And hopefully Dasha and I can follow on their footsteps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, pressure Dash can get back on the court. Yeah, what about you?
Speaker 5: Birthday by well, everyone knows how much I love mir and River really really love her.
Speaker 2: She reached fourth round at the AO.
Speaker 5: She reached the Roland Garris quarterfinal, quarify On final at Wimbledon, and also third round at US Open. She reached her career high number five in Duely after winning the Dubai tournament, which she was the youngest to win titled at the age of seventeen. She's now eighteen, so she's really really young. She's obviously coached by Conchita Martinez that we all love, and their relationships amazing and I really would love to see her win one. Whether or not she will, I feel like she's on the precipice making it.
Speaker 4: I'll be honest. She was my first pick.
Speaker 2: Oh did you change that?
Speaker 4: And I give Belinda a bit of a shout out, but I've been a huge fan of Mira. I think she's one of the brightest prospects that we have in Tenna's full stop. So I think she's She's so good on every surface, very versatile, all core game, and I think she's handling the big moment it's better and better.
Speaker 2: I think got the right mental.
Speaker 4: It was probably probably the one thing that, yeah, maybe later in Slam, she was a little inexperienced, little immature. I mean she's seventeen eighteen, so it's incredible what she's doing. And I think she's going to be poised to definitely win her first Slam very very soon.
Speaker 1: Well, they were our thoughts on this week's Big Question. What is your answer to the big question? Which WTA player will reach their first ever Grand Slam title next year? Hit us up in the comments, let us know on the Instagram wherever you like. On with the show. First up, what's caught your eye? And we're going to start with our first time on the panel, Ellen, I'll caught your eye this week.
Speaker 6: I think it'd be hard to say it didn't catch anyone's eyes. Serena Williams re entering the ITIA doping protocol I think yeah, a few Twitter fans managed to spot that and bring it up, and obviously Ben rothenberg A tweeted about it. But yeah, Serena came back with that she's not coming back and that this is wildfire and crazy, which I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not sold.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, Ben, the I New at Times journalist did say what we're all thinking, why did you do it? Then?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's a great question because I can tell you when you're on the you know, doping protocols, it's not fun. You know, unless she likes a nice six am wake up and enjoys giving blood and having someone watch her pee, I wouldn't know why you would enter.
Speaker 2: That's thine, Are you going to have fa?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, maybe she needs that extra insurance, like Venus mentioned, true, he's pretty strapped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think there's an element that she watched maybe Venus come back, and I don't know if there's a little last go with them playing together or something. But yeah, I've definitely heard the rumors of her coming back. Who knows if it's true. I just think you don't re enter the protocol unless you plan on coming back. It's pretty much that's how it is. So stay tuned.
Speaker 2: How would someone have found out that she's read it's public back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can just go to the I's.
Speaker 2: Just sitting there watching looking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people are Actually there's some interesting Twitter fans out there. There's people that are checking that every day. Really, you can find out the most crazy stuff on Twitter. You just gonna stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Follow the right people. Yeah, So Serena, let's say, let's play Devil's Advocate hypothetic or whatever. But if she did, if Serena did come back into play, would she do well? How do you think it would go? Like? Take you know, the excitement out of it? Is she going to be the Serena that we know and love or is it a bit of a fools Errand?
Speaker 3: I think Serena is Serena. I think she's going to be amazing.
Speaker 6: In general, it's the big question mark is always fitness and movement, and that was the question mark around Venus but she surprised us. Her level was good and she was still beating a lot of players on this comeback. I don't think Serena does anything half asked, let's put it that way. So if she's going to come back, she's not going to want to lose to someone one hundred in the world and not be ready. And obviously she's a looking fits.
Speaker 1: She can still kick through a brick door.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's yeah, definitely a different arena from when she was on tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe she litoks like.
Speaker 7: She's been getting ready for something, doesn't she I just met Gala or something, But maybe it's tennis, maybe it's both.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe she will lose a bit of power with the different physique, But yeah, I definitely think if she comes back, you don't want to draw her.
Speaker 1: She'll definitely get a lot of opportunities and wild cards. Why't she tournament directors falling out?
Speaker 4: The only thing that you said, Ellen was just probably backing up matches in that physical side is probably the question in order to build her ranking up. But she's going to get that many opportunities at big events. If you win a few matches at those big events, big points, So maybe she can work her way back up that way.
Speaker 6: I just don't see it as a long term comeback or it's just going to be picking events here and there that suit he Maybe that's how I feel if it is.
Speaker 1: But three, it's award season in the tennis world. Next week we've got the new can Medal for Australian Tennis. What else is on?
Speaker 2: Well, the ATP Awards are presented this coming week.
Speaker 1: That's exciting.
Speaker 2: A couple of awards we already know that have been won, like.
Speaker 1: Number one the award and they are number one.
Speaker 2: The doubles number one Lloyd Glasspool.
Speaker 5: But some of the categories, well, the first category we can have a chat is the breakth Through of the Year, which is voted on by the ATP.
Speaker 2: Number one club.
Speaker 1: Am I in there?
Speaker 5: No, it's Jack Draper, von Seca, Mensic and Vashio.
Speaker 1: Okay, good little group. Who's going to win that?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's obviously the higher you are, the less you can obviously move up, and those me more than if you're further out. But I feel like Vaschero, that's really sort of catching my eye.
Speaker 2: But is that a flash in the pan?
Speaker 4: Sorry, it could be, but it's still it's still happened this year from two and seventy six in into Korehi of thirty winning Shanghai. That was just an incredible storyline playing his cousin Rindannesh in the final, and so I think that's you know, he was you know, he's twenty six years old. He's been grinding away and the challenges for quite some time, but he's always had that huge game, so you kind of felt you could get it together, get a little bit of structure around him, maybe he could get it going. So for me, Vatro wins that.
Speaker 1: Well on that metric. I mean Drape has got no shut right, I went from eighteen to four.
Speaker 7: Well, who, I don't know whether Drape has been able to play enough this year because of been Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He just stopped breaking his leg and start breaking through basically.
Speaker 4: Pretty much guy I Reckon it's yeah, probably the other ones.
Speaker 1: Fonseca, Yeah, I was thinking he's broken through a media sense.
Speaker 4: Exactly outside one hundred to twenty five, and he's got the charisma, he's got the profile as well, So I think maybe Fonseca as well. And incredible player, so talented now.
Speaker 1: That'd be a good award.
Speaker 5: All right, what else we've got, bro, We have the Stefan Edinburgh Sportsmanship Award and the nominees one no Carlos Akarez, Felix Grigor Dimitrov.
Speaker 1: And Caspar Grigor. I mean there's a name that hasn't been kind of he's a good sports Oh he's brilliant, but he just you know, he's a bit of a statesman of tennis. You know, he's getting long in the tooth.
Speaker 2: I love that he's still there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, he's taking this one out. I reckon Felix audio ALII.
Speaker 6: Yeah, with the year he's had, I think. I mean, he's an amazing person, really nice guy. I remember I did an event with him in Adelaide and he straight up came up to me and asked me questions and got me involved.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, that's really nice. Like you don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: You don't know me.
Speaker 6: I'm kind of a nobody, so like that was really sweet. But I don't know something about Carlos. That guy is just so humble.
Speaker 3: So sweet.
Speaker 6: I feel like he carries the top of the sport so well. It's hard to go past him. But I would love to see Felix gettered.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I find with Carlos, aside from his crappy haircut, like he's just got such a he's almost like a toddler, Like he sees the world as like everything's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he can't be the happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like how are you so happy? Be angry? What he's angry?
Speaker 4: He's happy Like he basically says, you know, his goal or ambitions to entertain court, And I think that's just think it's incredible because it takes the result, I guess away from his mentality and he's just out there to have fun and obviously win.
Speaker 1: But that allows him to play his opponent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it allows him to play that game style and just play the Tennessee he wants to play.
Speaker 2: Who he's going with? Do you think? Are you the same as Allen Carlos.
Speaker 4: I'll go Casper. Just an all round four great blokes there for me. Caspar, I think he never puts a foot roll near to the other three, to be fair, But I'll go with Casper. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It'd be a good night out of the pub with them, be very fun chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good group of guys to hang out with that.
Speaker 1: Actually, all right, last one, brave, what have we got coach of the year this one.
Speaker 5: No, we've got Benjamin bealerat which is Vachero's coach.
Speaker 2: Kai who.
Speaker 1: S Kim at the moment, Sorry.
Speaker 2: Darren k Hill with Simone Vagnzi. I probably said that wrong.
Speaker 5: We'll leave it. We'll leave it the way it was. You can hear what the producer said. Juan Carlos Ferrero and Samuel Lopez, Frederick Fontange and Brian Shelton. So some of them if you don't know, it's Vashero's coach, Sinner's coach, Arkraz's coach, Felix's coach. Hopefully you got Shelton's coach is his dad, and I want ka Hill to win with Kile.
Speaker 4: Hill, they took Sinner from one to two a.
Speaker 1: Breakthrough. Look they went down.
Speaker 4: Darren, you're good coach, but but this you can do better than that.
Speaker 1: The number is increased by one hundred percent, but that is killing. Yeah. Yeah, the loads, I mean yeah, no shared prizes. No, I reckon the father son duo.
Speaker 2: Brian brianan.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, how is your breakfast meaning? Momsis all right? No, that's good. Well, there's a few other awards aren't there. There's the Arthur Ascherman Tearing Award, there's Fan Favorites for the singers and doubles Tournament of the Year. Unfortunately Grand Slams are not eligible, so you know the AO would clearly win.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Brisbane, Adela is the top A.
Speaker 3: TP Cincinnati this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look very happy.
Speaker 6: They're going to be hard to beat. The facilities and upgrades were insane.
Speaker 1: We're not winning, no, but we're not even competing now my turn. I would love to claim this is an original thought of something that I'm like, wow, that's really cool. But Ellen was sending some ideas to our producer John about her career and I'm like, oh, that's really fun. I want to steal that one. So thanks for that. But Alexandra olia Nikova has broken into the WTA top one hundred, which is, you know, a great feat. She's now world number ninety five. But what I'm more interested about is back in twenty twenty one, she actually sold I like that, you're nodding like I'm telling you something. You're like, yeah, this is my freakin' idea. Anyway, back in twenty twenty one, she actually sold off a bit of real estate, and that real estate was her upper arm. In exchange, that person who bought it for five grand is allowed at some stage to tattoo whatever they want onto that. Hopefully a professional tato artist does it, and they have tattooed it. No, it's still empty, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think it's empty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And now that she's in the top one hundred, does that And she was an NFT like back in the day, everyone's selling weird pictures of monkeys and all that sort of stuff. But she's like, boom, I'm going to make some quick cash sell off my upper arm. But now she's the top hundred, does that real estate become more valuable? Is there going to be a mad rush to try and buy her upper arm? I think it's it's kind of like going it's a little bit creepy in a sense of buying a part of someone. It's almost like buying, you know, a steak from a cow, but the cow is still in the paddock. It's a bit weird. What do we think for sure?
Speaker 6: I mean, she's obviously the first person to do something like this. I do love that she's working around the w TA rules. Because you know, you only allowed two patches on your shirt, but now she's opened up avenue.
Speaker 2: For a third.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I have read that.
Speaker 6: You know she can the person that owns the patch can resell the patch, so someone can now buy it off them for a higher price. But yeah, I think the sad part is she only got five thousand, Like she's probably looking back now and realizing that's worth a lot more.
Speaker 1: So this other person could potentially make Yeah, why don't we you pitch in as Tennis Australia.
Speaker 3: We could we put logo.
Speaker 1: Hot shots Tennis AOGE just a QR code that goes to the website.
Speaker 3: You'd have your name on there for sure.
Speaker 1: Absolute shah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But she also went a bit viral recently because she's she's fun, like she's cool chick, and she actually had a video of a point. Let's have a look on her Instagram.
Speaker 3: She has moonball this over the heart of the lights.
Speaker 6: She's slipped, she's down, but she's back again. Coverage another. She's buying time big time. She's putting this real high and she's on the floor trying to.
Speaker 2: Do with a ball kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think they caught everyone's eye, just because how ridiculously high she.
Speaker 3: Was hitting the ball.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was moonballing out there, and she was about four meters back from the baseline and there was some drama falling over. But I think that came down a little bit to the opponent she was playing. She was playing my Sharif who I think she was maybe trying to hit through her. But she also just rolls balls around, and so I think she was trying to play the same game and won up her maybe, yeah, But it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen enough of her.
Speaker 6: She's obviously just broken through from eighty five this year to top hundred, so she hasn't been around many WTA events now, just the back end of the year. There's one, two five's, but it will be interesting to see her around the tour. And I don't know if you've seen it, but her throat has a massive tattoo.
Speaker 1: Bringing the photo up, Johnny, it's now.
Speaker 6: I think she must have gone and tried to remove it or something. But six oh wow, it was so dark an inker Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it.
Speaker 2: Looks like she's been having las to removal that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she doesn't mind a tattoo.
Speaker 2: Maybe she wants to Selki Crime branding.
Speaker 1: You're in every shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, much better than I wonder.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well she's trying to knock down the old house on the real estate and then just open up the land for redevelopment.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fascinating player. I'm sure we'll see a bit more of her. Now she just cracks And I'm now realizing why Luke gave me a funny look before, because I see last one. I'm going to go. But we haven't even done you. Yeah, what caught your iley?
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks Dave, just forgetting me mate. Now mine was the six A wild cards that were awarded slash Ones this past week, and I think we can start with the Australian Points Race that were awarded over the three tournaments Brisbane, Sydney and Playford, which is Adelaide and I think great initiative from Tennis Australia. It's basically just goes on one merit you win, the win the wild cards and they went to James Darkworth, Duck's my very good mate, and Emerson Jones, and I think it's just there is smiling the big fella. But I just think, you know, two players completely different ends of their career. How are both equally as impressive Emerson and James Darkworth And you know, I think Ducks he lost in the quarters of Brisbane. That was a last week for the cut of the Train Open, so he missed out at one o five, put the head down, won the next week Semis of Playford and now is ranked eighty six. So incredible resilience from from Ducks. And then Emerson one of our brightest, maybe our brightest prospect in Australian tennis right now wins Playford current ranking of one hundred and fifty one. Majordan she yes, consecutive aos for her started the year at three nder and seventy one, so more than half the ranking and she's got just a very bright future ahead of her. And then over in Asia we had the winner of the men's Boo Jan Hiketti here he dropped only fifteen games across the event into his fifth major in a row. He he just dropped a bunch of points. He didn't defend his couple of big results in Asia from a couple of months ago.
Speaker 1: And he's the China number one, isn't he?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yeap?
Speaker 4: Who's you know he's been based cup? I believe very good been based in Spain since he was sixteen and reached the Kree high sixty four, and Zorena Diaz won the women's playoff from Kazakhstan. Been a tough couple of years for her, battling injury between twenty twenty two and twenty twenty four, but now she's backing into her first Slam and Raw since AO twenty twenty two, reached a Korea high thirty one, So great to see them back and then any Yanks and then over in the States, Patrick Gibson and Elizabeth Manlick were awarded the reciprocal wild cards from the USTA. Patrick Gibson I think he's just on the cusp of top hundred and man Lick one of the up and coming players as well. So congratulations to those six players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm thinking there's a few kind of discretionary wildcards still up for grabs, aren't they in Craig Tiley's back pocket? Who do you think he should flick them to? Like, you know, the people at home, they're going, oh, Nick Kirios or someone who you know puts on a bit of fun show. But like, do you like what's going on? Who's going to get him.
Speaker 6: Well, I think firstly, you've got to look at a few wild cards that are going to be asked. I think as a rank has asked for one. I'm not sure if maybe Venus has asked for one, So if they steal a couple, that makes it a few more limited. But I think on the women's side, someone like Tylie Gibson's had an amazing year super young hasn't had that many wild I think when they look at a few things, obviously age and how many opportunities they've had and a little bit of funding and whatnot. And I think she's a great recipient, you know, hasn't had that many opportunities at AO before and has had an incredible year and maybe even one of the next highest ranked.
Speaker 3: So I think for me, that's kind of a no brainer.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I guess it also just depends a little bit if Kim kind of finishes. She's currently around the ninety six mark and that usually should be fine, but there is still some results coming in, so yeah, if she was to kind of miss out, maybe that's someone.
Speaker 3: To look at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, shout, absolutely, Yeah, any thoughts, Yeah, I agree, And then putting your hand on, No, definitely won't be. But yeah, I think that's round. I mean, that's like a couple of years of private school done for your kid, that's true.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, I think that the men side pretty interesting because we have you know, Chris O'Connell, Jordan Thompson, Ranki Hijikata, who have all been incredible players, established top one hundred pliers for many years. Now. I think he's out, and you know Tom Owen O'Connell had tough years with injury, so you know, you're probably looking at those three have been great ambassadors for Shannon Tannis in my opinion, and then a few of the up and coming players. You know, I think James mccabs had a reasonably good year. He's sort of knocking around, and a few juniors like that. So but obviously Big Kraze's got the he holds the reins. But I think those those three boys I mentioned at the start will be pretty strong candidates because I don't think any of them really needed wild cards for quite a few years now, and all three kind of slipped out because of injury and rink. He's been doing a lot of good stuff in the doubles as well obviously final of Wimbledon, middle of the year, and three great role models so they would get my.
Speaker 1: Nod content idea. We dressed Craig up as Willy Wonka, full high production value, right, and we print out gold wild cards and he goes magically to their whoever it is, and we shoot it overseas. No, but like they're all, that's great, let's go. I want to I want my fifth holiday.
Speaker 5: We filmed with Craig Tuesday.
Speaker 2: It was actually hilarious.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: Fun is in a hard heart and I was.
Speaker 1: Playing his long beleagued assistant. It was just back to earth anyway, Thank you very much all for playing along with out caught your eye seg. We've got lots more news to cover off after the break. We'll be back in a second with all of that and Breeze Top five unmissible things from summer stick around seen in a second. Welcome back. So there's a bit of the news to discuss bre what's happening in the United Cup world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, we've recently announced the captains for some of our teams or country teams, and there's quite some fun kind of names in there. So stan will Rinka is going to be a player captain for Switzerland.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's just who is the only one who can do this job?
Speaker 2: It's me?
Speaker 1: Else can do it?
Speaker 2: Bring me in?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: And then obviously we have Leton here.
Speaker 5: It returns for the fourth straight campaign as home captain, which classick we love as OSSI's for his second time since twenty twenty three. Tim Henman will be coming back for Great Britain.
Speaker 1: We've got a grab I think from our sister podcasts and sit down, mister Hammon listen.
Speaker 8: It was atp Cup to begin with a United Kick Cup more recently, I just abtolutely loved that event, have great fun, you know, working with the British men and women, and we had a great team spirit and we played well. We we really did play well and it would definitely been an event that I'd like to be involved in again in the future.
Speaker 1: I hear there's a little bit there's some family of neotism. Let's us call it what.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's nepotism.
Speaker 5: I think it's just keeping it in the family, that's yeah, what all family things and epotism. Anyway, we've got stefano'capoli. I don't know whether you know he's the dad of love Koboli, so he will be the captain of Italy. We've got Alexander Zverev.
Speaker 1: See I read that thinking, hang on, he's just done the same as stan No No.
Speaker 2: Zverev and his dad.
Speaker 5: He's a junior. So that's for team Germany. We have Christian Rude, who is the father of Kaspar Rude from Norway.
Speaker 1: Is he a friendlier ghost anywhere? I keep going, I don't get it.
Speaker 5: And then we have Petros siss Pass who is the brother of why not.
Speaker 2: He's the captain of Greece.
Speaker 1: So do you reckon? Petros is going to be hitting it hard and he's going to be telling his brother.
Speaker 4: What to do. I want over and unders of the first moment where Steph just barges.
Speaker 1: Do you want that? In seconds?
Speaker 4: I want to says I'm going to say within the first two games. That's about the line.
Speaker 1: Walk on during the flag ceremony. It just starts strangling about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there'll be a bit of tension there, but ye're great to see all the lineups and the field looks incredible.
Speaker 5: Tell me something we do well. We have some debut taunts. Lucas put from France is the captain. And then we have Gabriella Dobroski, who is a double specialist and the only female captain on our list, and she will be the captain of Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's bread and from my understanding, So the number one player do they kind of have to say they pick the coach the captain.
Speaker 3: Sorry, the number one is supposed to decide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. So Felix or Jeroni A. Sidden, Yeah, he's a feminist. Chose Gabby.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's great.
Speaker 1: Do you know her at all?
Speaker 3: You know Gabby very well?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is she cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's cool.
Speaker 6: I mean I think she actually would do a very good job in this role. I think she's very organized, very structured. Yeah, I mean that's part of the why she's very good at doubles. I think she sees the game well, so I think she'll bring a great up a.
Speaker 1: Bit more of a team thinker as opposed to a single minded it's just me out there, yeah for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 5: We also will be announcing full fields for some of our summer events.
Speaker 1: Oh, like other tennis events, yes, which on Brisbane International also day well, from some exciting news coming up to a bit of sad news from the world of tennis. Italian tennis legend Nicola Piachin Jelly, aged ninety two, passed away. He was a two time Rolling Girls champion and record holder for Davis Cup wins one hundred and twenty to forty four, which is a pretty epic record to have. A lot of tributes were coming from everywhere, from Rafaa dal Novat Jokovic, from the top echelons to everybody in between. Yeah, a bit of a sad day, but we were very, very lucky Nicola. Earlier this year spoke with one of our producers, Erson in the Making, Actually the poster behind me for was the Rise of Italian Tennis and we used that in a recent episode of To Sit Down and they were talking about having the Rome Stadium named in his honor. Let's have a listen.
Speaker 9: You know, I have this court name on me like Roquets in the Mamood and it's not the most important, it's not the biggest, that is most beautiful in the world, no.
Speaker 6: Doubt that.
Speaker 1: Quite a loss. But have you played at the stadium that's named in his honor?
Speaker 6: I have, Yeah, I've played on that court and it's by far the best court on tour. It is so pretty. The statues kind of surround the court. Yeah, it is. It is one of the nicest courts.
Speaker 1: Well, he'll be so missing, of course, our thoughts go to his friends and family over in Italy. Now, Brie, shall we move on to the final piece of the week. I need to find my numbers because it is time to top five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a bit worried they're boring, but okay, so what's the top what all be counting down? We're counting down top five admissible things this Australian summer.
Speaker 2: But I've made them for a period. I'm not pregnant. It cane. We'll touch and go there for a moment.
Speaker 5: But anyway, I centered it all around the tennis.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm going to make sense. No, but there's some fun stuff.
Speaker 2: I think it's fine.
Speaker 5: Let's see how we go. But I'm going to do for Suppose is a tennis podcast.
Speaker 1: Allegedly it's called the Tennis. Yes, exciting news that I'm going to debut next week. But we'll get to that in a minute.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: Five.
Speaker 5: So the first one is AO Live, which is our music program during this train open. So we have some really great acts that are at the end of the tournament, so these ones are.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the week.
Speaker 1: Looks like a menu, Hot Chips, Elderflower pre set, that's good in a taco who is playing.
Speaker 5: It's the thirdeenth and sixteenth of January. It's in top court and their DJ sets and they're really really great acts that were are still quite big, but really do talk to your favorite jen Y Hot Chip and the presets.
Speaker 2: Definitely, I've seen them many times before. So that's one I.
Speaker 5: Wanted to call out because there's the great music acts at JCA at the end of the tournament, but they're these great ones up at top court.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of the tournament.
Speaker 1: So sixty nine bucks a bargain bargain.
Speaker 2: So please go on over and buy a ticket if.
Speaker 1: You all right, number four, what do we got four?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm really excited to see the high line. I've got a video here. It's an artist interpretation of what the high line will look. But we should be able to walk from one court to another above ground. So here you can see courtside bar and then you can kind of walk over to the other court.
Speaker 1: It reminds me a little bit of like in Jurassic Park when they're around the raptor thing and they're like looking down, it's gonna be cool. So you can kind of get a top down view of the outdoor court, so they'll be.
Speaker 5: Able to have all these people over here. You can see these courts to the right, and on the other side, you're be able to see the courts.
Speaker 2: To the left.
Speaker 1: So there's the bar over there.
Speaker 3: So just get the original bar and this is a new bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the original bu's bigger. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you can walk all the way to the other bar from this bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and watch.
Speaker 1: Hill get if you ever can't find it during AO.
Speaker 3: I loved being on the bar.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I don't even think some people, but other people I reckon I would just mixed doubles.
Speaker 6: I don't think you want to play your singles out there, but doubles and mixed doubles. I mean, you can't really hear signal or anything like that anymore, but it's from your opponent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're both losing that tool. You've got to adapt.
Speaker 4: So like, noises allowed on these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's within reason. Like if people are hooping and hollering and yelling at ca Hill, but you know, and don't throw your beer on the corner until they won, and they just go nuts. What's number three?
Speaker 2: I'm excited for that United Cup.
Speaker 5: I pulled out a match that I think will be interesting, well, a session, a day session in Perth.
Speaker 2: It's on Saturday, third of Jan. And do you know why I found.
Speaker 5: It interesting because we've got Busson in there and we've got Rinda Kannek I've said that wrong probably and ben Chic and we're Rinker and we've got the mixed doubles with them. And I thought it was a really fun interesting matchup because obviously Boson she did really well being was she.
Speaker 2: A wild card or lucky loser? I wrote it down.
Speaker 5: First women's wildcard roller go semifinals since the Open era began. WHOA, that's pretty cool, so she's cool. But then Rinder Kannik he is a cousin of Vashero and made the singles finals at Shanghai with him cool. So I thought they're two interesting ones. And obviously we love Benchic and we're Rinka playing captain.
Speaker 1: But Rinda Kanick, that's the funnest name to say.
Speaker 5: It is, actually isn't It's part of the reason I chose it, but I just thought, you know, this is quite a fun matchup and I just wanted to pull out one.
Speaker 2: Of the ones.
Speaker 1: But again, one of the best things about United Cup is, unlike a lot of tennis events, you get a ticket and hope you get a good match. You know exactly what you're getting, so get on there and get your tickets. So I didn't mean that to be a plug, but it was number two.
Speaker 5: Well do you know a lot And this is a little bit of an acid the week I suppose as well. But we are seeing and you've sent me some stuff to day, we're seeing a lot of our member associations and just tiny clubs and clubs playing the one point Slam so that their players in their group can have a chance to hit the Australian one point the IO one point Slam here at Rola. Now Tennis Northern Territory are our first group to have a final that's coming up that will have our first state champion that could come down then to play here, and I just think it's such a great concept and I love it and I've loved watching the Instagram stories from around Australia and I can't wait to see what happens with it here. Obviously we have our Karas and now Oced playing, and we are announcing some other players next week as well.
Speaker 7: And you win a million bucks if you win, Yeah you do. You have to win in order to win a million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you reckon?
Speaker 6: If you make the final, you're trying to split it before you play? The point we're talking about this.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there's a rule against that.
Speaker 3: Does that all the legalities out of it? If you can't you negotio?
Speaker 5: Like, hey, you like like Love Island, I would do that?
Speaker 1: Do you reckon?
Speaker 6: You'd way up who you're playing, or like, I don't think like anything can happen.
Speaker 3: I know me, I'd mess it up.
Speaker 1: Like what if you just but net and then you cooked, I'm.
Speaker 3: Playing an amateur.
Speaker 6: I'd still take half. I'd be so tight I reckon, I would roll over and I'd.
Speaker 3: Be so pissed. So like, yeah, I think I'm splitting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that will be fascinating to watch. But it was just a test run this year at the AO, and everyone loved it and it was really exciting. Yeah, So yeah, with some big bucks on the line. Yeah and yeah, and you win a car or something and your club gets five grand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a game show, but it's it's it's only fun.
Speaker 2: I love it. Down to Tennis Northern Territory, the.
Speaker 1: Dar Stingrays, love your logo, they're very cool, and the Darwin International Tennis Center. Right, So if that's number two, what's number one?
Speaker 5: Well, the potential that we might have finally an ourcro Center final.
Speaker 1: We were the only Slam in twenty twenty four get one.
Speaker 2: So will we get one?
Speaker 1: Hope? So well yeah, Well because where the seedings, how they work, it's the only possible opportunity for them to.
Speaker 5: Blame well they have if they if one of them, if we're going to see it, they have to get to finals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not like you know, there's any other that's it, that's something, that's that.
Speaker 2: It's that or nothing.
Speaker 1: Because last year it was Novak that took out color. Yeah and then that pulled out he did took away our dream and then went home.
Speaker 4: But is that Carlos's furthest round is got gotten the Open quarterfinals.
Speaker 1: So he's going to be under what it is?
Speaker 4: I think yeah, it's maybe one of those ones. I haven't looked into it too much, but after a bit of a break, maybe it takes him a little bit of time to get going. I was the open obviously his you know, sometimes his first tournam another year, So maybe maybe. But I think the court surface, everything should suit him here.
Speaker 1: But in the weather as well, in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 4: So it might be might be the year.
Speaker 5: Might I suggest he plays Brisbane or something so he's ready?
Speaker 3: Do we really want that final? Don't we just want Demon to come?
Speaker 1: Okay? Moving on?
Speaker 5: That's actually that's actually fair. I would do you know if I had my ultimate dreamer would be Demon?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah in twenty seven no save top me to put this in anyway, Yeah, Demon Demon Demon verse Carlos. Yeah, that would get that going.
Speaker 3: We need, yeah, sooner to be taken out by someone else.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, snipers, you have a green light.
Speaker 3: I don't want to have to take on both of them.
Speaker 1: Point, that's really hard to do.
Speaker 6: So I think we need to see one of them lose earlier in someone else, and then you cruise through Demons demable.
Speaker 4: I'd agree with that.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: When he's tuning in craig'sist in his office listening.
Speaker 2: My first thing is listening to it is always is good times.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, brace. That was that was a long but I must say, very enjoyable. Top five.
Speaker 4: Okay, well I'm broke.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's trying to be crazy to realize it was long.
Speaker 1: I went on for a while. No, well done, well done, my done, thank you. He smashed it, Thank you Hill. Okay. So as we finish up this episode of the Tennis we ask our panel, what is your ace of the week? Something that's happened this week or it's coming up in the next seven days that you're most happy about, something sparked a bit of joy. What's the rest of the week?
Speaker 5: Start with you, Bree, Well, I had my birthday last week, so this week and I'm doing nothing, thank you. I had a lot of fun and I'm now tired and I've been tired all week, so I'm doing nothing on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Great, what we do when we get rest in recovery?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, how do your birthday?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: You don't look four days over forty one takes four days Part two birthday, But what's your ace of the week?
Speaker 3: I think kickstarting preseason.
Speaker 6: You know, I've just come back from Bali, just had a wedding in wan Gerada over the weekend.
Speaker 1: On you for not going to the mould Dives like every other buddy with WS.
Speaker 6: You know what, if I had a free trip to the Maldives, I wouldn't say no.
Speaker 3: So I just didn't get that off, you know.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I am excited to get back on court, get back into training. I feel like I was eating so much food and so much good food in Bali that I almost felt guilty that now I'm excited to work out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's probably my when you wake up here, Oh I could go a little Nazi gooring for breakfast. No chance eat your avocado. No good on you?
Speaker 4: Look mine is you know, obviously transitioning into coaching. Coaching claiers all different levels and ages. And one of my players, a twenty four year old, got his first ATP point yesterday. Oh that's awesome in Indiana. So I won't embarrass him. But we've been working him as a child. Yeah, we've been working throughout the year and there was just a little bit of satisfaction, like we've done a good job. And at the start of the road and I tuned in. He was up a set and a break lost. It got a little bit tight, maybe, but he finished it off. So very proud of him.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 2: It's amazing I've done to both of you.
Speaker 1: As for me, my ace of the week, I am finally, after thirty nine years, living out one of my all time goals. This afternoon, we're having like a big department meeting where we talk about things been. Afterwards, we're going to the pub and we're having pub trivia and I'm hosting. I get to host my very own pub trivia. Never done it, always wanted to do it. I've been laboring over these questions. The format, how many rounds? Is their picture questions? We get one question here, so I'll give you one. What is a group of pandas called so like a murder of crows? Heard of this? What is a collective term for pandas and ammonium?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good Yeah, a cuddle. You're not You're not far off in the sense of it doesn't. It's weird. It is an embarrassment, an embarrassment of pandas. You get you get a free point. So do you guys. Well, before we do wrap up next week, we've got the new can metal. You're going yes as a plus one? Are you're invited?
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter on there.
Speaker 1: It sounds like, well you'll be there.
Speaker 3: I'll be there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you'll be there. We're on the same table.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like to have a lot of fun right on the front. I'm sure dead center, right at.
Speaker 2: The back, hidden actually behind the curtains.
Speaker 1: You can't keep me quiet, just tucking a drinks back there. Absolutely bring the piper this way. Yeah, some great nominees. It's going to be pretty exciting. You know, there's some clear favorites at the front. But I'm sure we'll have a full breakdown next week on the tennis about the nukes. For now, like, subscribe, let us know what you want to do, follow us on socials. Thanks for listening. Drive safe wherever you are, See you later. Hey everyone, have sin Andy here.
Speaker 4: Just want to remind you that you can watch every episode of the Tennis on our YouTube channel, austrain Open TV. And you can also catch us on Tennis Plus by heading to ozopen dot com, forward slash Tennis Plus.
Speaker 10: And if you want to flick us an email feedback, thoughts on the show comments, We're at podcast at tennis dot com DOTU.
Speaker 1: One of us too.
Speaker 10: Will read it, but in the meantime we'll catch you in the next one.
Speaker 1: See Yah.