Speaker 1: Gid A, Peter Helly here, Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the Movie Podcast. We're our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest broadcaster comedian online personality writer Liscinda Rooms Price.
Speaker 2: All below.
Speaker 3: I want to stay you with you, hey, little jobble, my hat snake shucked my hail.
Speaker 4: It couldn't be happening, right, So you ain't seen nothing new. Today's a special show because I get to hang out with somebody who I've.
Speaker 1: Actually never met before. Licinda Froome's Price is the self appointed CEO of Frooms World. I'm intrigued by Frooms I have to say. I came across her a few years ago. A friended pointed out that she'd posted a picture of me from my row of live days.
Speaker 4: I checked it out.
Speaker 1: In the back of my brain, I thought she's probably taken the piss somewhere. This is probably you know, it's fine, And I checked it out and it wasn't. And what I've learned since then is that Froomes is kind of loves to celebrate Australian nostalgia. She's a really positive person. She is joyful, joyous, she's bloody hilarious, and she's just she's like an entrepreneur who has decided to invest in herself. She has branded herself the whole Frooms World thing is remarkable. She has a legion of fan who love her. She does a radio show on the Caden Network called Flex and Frooms. You can listen daily for the three pm to five pm. It's also in podcast form. She has a substack Frooms World which has over eleven thousand subscribers.
Speaker 4: She's performing live.
Speaker 1: She performed at the Melbourne and Sydney Comedy Festivals this year in the show called Besties, alongside Lewis Hansen. She started The Pedestrian as a writer and the producer and the presenter for a few years. And like I said, she just has backed herself in and I find it kind of inspiring, to be honest.
Speaker 4: You know, we're very different ages.
Speaker 1: I think she's later twenties and she has recognized the space. She worked out that you don't have to wait for a TV network or a radio network to give you a call. You can just create and build your own thing. And that's exactly what she has done and is doing. She's run thesehilarious campaigns. She read one as You Missed It, where she basically there was billboards involved, where she was basically putting out the word that she wanted to have sex with Shane warn This is obviously before he passed, and it was hilarious but also intriguing. It was like, is this gonna is this gonna play out? What's gonna happen here? And one he did engage with it for a bit. She performed the song about it with g Flip and Flume, which is basically a call out. She embraces Australia nostalgia, pop culture, nostalgia, Shrek, Serena, Tuna, like, there's all kinds of things and it's always entertaining, it's always positive. I think she's a really fun person to follow. I really encourage you to do that. Like I said, she's smart, she's positive, she's bloody, hilarious, and I'm stoked to be hanging out with her today.
Speaker 2: My name is Friends, and my three favorite films are number one Austin Powers. Actually my name is Austin Powers. It says your name danger Powers.
Speaker 4: No no no no no. Danger is my middle name.
Speaker 2: Mean girl, that is so fetch, Gretchen, stop trying to make Fetch happen. It's not going to happen. And everything everywhere all at once. Rock acony? What rock acony?
Speaker 5: You know, the one with the chef and he makes bad food point and.
Speaker 3: Then this is raccoon, sit on his head, control him, and then he cooks good food.
Speaker 2: Do you mean? But up until this week, I've never seen Psycho.
Speaker 1: Considered the mother of modern horror films, in nineteen sixty, Alfred Hitchcock made it quite clear that adult men who lived with their mothers are well a bit weird. Jamie Lee Curtis's mum, Janet Lee is Marion Crane, a woman we find in the hotel room having a rendezvous with a ripped and shirtless divorcee Sam John Gavin, who is suffering a little bit financially. When an opportunity presents itself to Marry to take forty thousand dollar cash and skip town, she takes it, eventually arriving at the completely vacant Bates Motel run by Norman Gates. Anthony Perkins, a seemingly friendly enough man with a passion for at taxidermy who lives with his overbearing mother. Yes, in hindsight, there were some red flags. Based on the book by Robert Bloke from a screenplay by Joseph Stefano, nominated for four Oscars, it went home empty handed, but it has lived in the pop cultural psyche like very few films have rooms. Can you, without writing it down, finish this maths equation forty thousand minus seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Thirty nine thousand and three hundred.
Speaker 4: Well done? Well done? Was that right? That is absolutely right?
Speaker 1: And I don't know why Marian couldn't do that sum in her own head. I'm not sure why she had to write that down and then flush it down the toilet.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that later, but from the get go, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thanks you, Peter Hellier. It's a pleasure to be here and to finally meet.
Speaker 4: We have kind of over the a couple of years. Now.
Speaker 1: Just follow each other on Instagram and message each other occasionally. Basically started by a publicist told me a channel tention, do you follow frums on Instagram?
Speaker 4: This is a few years ago now.
Speaker 1: I said no, no, I don't, and she sent me these you had sent you posted something about me wearing a beret whilst interview in the Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 2: You're wearing a backwards cagle short cap.
Speaker 1: I went through a little stage where I wore the Can goal cap and was feeling kind of fine about it at the time, and I think I may mentioned this on this podcast before, and it wasn't until we had Chris Rock on the show, who also wore the Can goal cap, and our guest producer Paid McGinley introduced me to Chris when they promoting Madagascar with Ben Stiller, and she said, oh, Pete wears the Can goal cap as well. I wasn't wearing it in this moment and he just looked at me up and down and I've never worn that cap again.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: He really was like, no, I wouldn't be surprised if maybe he hasn't worn the Can goal cap again since since that moment, I think I ruined it for him, and it was ruined for me.
Speaker 4: I did interview Chris.
Speaker 1: I've interviewed a couple of times, and the last time I'm interviewed him for that kind of sore, kind of horror.
Speaker 4: Film thing he did. I mentioned it to him.
Speaker 1: I said, I this happened, and I'm I'm not trying to shame you or anything, but I just want you to know I don't wear the cano caps anymore.
Speaker 4: And he was. He promised me he wasn't judging me, but he was judging me. Yeah, he was judging me.
Speaker 2: I went through a face as well. I think that's how I sound. I don't even I can't even remember how I found the photo of you, but I went through a period. I was working at Pedestrian, like a colored news site in in Gooda Commons, and I'd be sitting opposite this guy and I started wearing the little cap backwards, like I don't know what came home with me to even consider. I don't even know where I got it. And he just started calling me Samuel L. Jackson. I can't be doing this.
Speaker 1: I feel Samuel Jackson does own that look now, like that's who I think of more so than Chris Roe.
Speaker 4: I think of Samuel Jackson. He's the guy who basically own is that look. I think.
Speaker 1: And you know, a white at twenty five year old Australian chubby man should not have been wearing a Cago cap backwards.
Speaker 4: I admit that, and I.
Speaker 1: Moved on, you know, And it's so it's so weird and like in the way it's I find it really funny, but it's also if I was a deep, a little bit deep, a little bit deeper.
Speaker 4: I've made so few fashion choices, like like.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I didn't I didn't go I'm gonna wear hoodies and baseball caps, you know, as a fashion choice. It's just kind of they just found me, and I just kind of like, you know, I've never been brave.
Speaker 4: It's the only fashion choice I think I've ever made. But it was on TV for like a year and.
Speaker 1: Chris Rock kind of ended it for me, which had well, he did a service I think for all of us.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, maybe, But I'm like, it is hard to go out of your comfort zone. I always say wear a hat to try and learn a few and kind of like push yourself to be more confident because people always comment on your hair on your hat. So yeah, I think you got to take a risk, and you took a risk.
Speaker 1: I took a risk. I thought I've thought of, you know, people have themed parties. Often thought of having a theme party, which is like where something you would never usually wear and that could be anything that could be It could even be a hat some people where it could be as simple as a hat, or it could be you know, some kind of really fuck off you know design feathery feathery thing, you know, or pant, golden pants or something.
Speaker 4: I think it'd be a fun night, I think so.
Speaker 2: Definitely a little hot short what they.
Speaker 4: Call little Kyle spitting around hot pants chat.
Speaker 1: That's it, sure, I mean, yeah, yeah, hey, Psycho, why hadn't you seen this one?
Speaker 4: I mean, this is made in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 1: There's obviously the remake which Gus van sand did with Vince Vaughn, the shot for shot remake. But this is like, this is a major film, Like this is this is really a big one. It kind of dawned on me when I was watching it how big this film is. And this is a real major one, And it doesn't surprise me that some people haven't seen it. But why hadn't you seen it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: I didn't even know there was a remake. There's a Vinsfawn remake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the nineties is very kind of earliest Vinceful. It might have been post Swingers. I think it was post Swingers. Yeah, Gus van Sant did basically a shot for shot remake, which I've never seen actually watching this maybe thing I should just go check it out. But and also there's there's two sequels which I think both have Anthony Perkins in a Psycho two and Psycho three. Yeah, I mean this is a film that exists in the zeitgey, so you must have known what were the things you knew about this film.
Speaker 4: Like going in?
Speaker 2: Yes, so I was obviously tasked with finding a movie for this podcast, And there's so much stuff that I've never seen because I'm the kind of person that will watch and when we get into my favorite films, you'll see two of them I've watched probably more than anything else in the world ever. But like I haven't even watched Star Wars, for example, Like the gaps in my knowledge are so wide preaching. But obviously I knew the shower scene in Psycho, so that kind of drew me in, and I guess I just googled, like what are the best fells of all time? And that came up. But yeah, I'd never had an opportunity to watch it until an hour And.
Speaker 4: I think this is actually the surprisingly.
Speaker 1: We've done over near one hundred and twenty episodes of this and this is the first Hitchcock film we've done, so I was actually very excited. Yeah, we haven't done Rear Window or north By Northwest or The Birds, and I think this is I'm glad this is the first one we're doing. This is you know, I think when people think hitch they think Psycho. So yes, I'm very interested to get into it with you. Let's talk about your three favorite films.
Speaker 4: If I was the guest.
Speaker 1: And I'm not sure if this is already out there that maybe you speak about it a lot and it's just kind of in my head, but I'm not surprised me and Girls is there. It is such a great film. We covered it on this podcast with Sam Mack and I was doing radio in Sydney at the time.
Speaker 4: I got to interview Tina Fey when it came out, and I was just so.
Speaker 1: Like surprise because I thought, like, I'm seeing this Lindsay Loewen film, Okay, we'll see what it's low.
Speaker 4: And it's just so smart and so funny.
Speaker 2: Btally, it's just I just think it's the perfect field. So obviously it came out in two thousand and four, so I was in year four, so I guess so you.
Speaker 4: Didn't interview team the Fair when I came.
Speaker 2: Out, nor sorry approbly one Persson could do that.
Speaker 4: The Grade fours weren't given the opportunity, which is which is a shame.
Speaker 2: So I I think about it the Locks. I still watch it probably like two times a year, i'd say, And when it came out, I don't think the humor. I don't think I really understood the humor beyond kind of like the slapstick elements of it. Like I didn't realize that the mean girls weren't cool or kind of it was the joke.
Speaker 4: Was on them.
Speaker 2: I was just like, I want to be a mean girl, like I want to be Ridina George. I love their fashion and the whole high school experience, so kind of learning later that it was had to reflect and be like, oh no, they're actually mean, Like you don't even want to be like Caddy Heron, you kind of want to be like the ard freaks. But yeah, I feel like every time I watch it, it's got that mix of nostalgia as well as it just yeah, it stands up like it's funny and it's smart. Yeah, and I love the actors in it.
Speaker 4: It's everyone's so good. It's it's funny watching it now. If you're get a chance to watch it recently, if you haven't seen it, go see it. It's it's so good.
Speaker 1: But to see Reggie McAdams play like, you know, not kind of a sweet Regie mcadam's role, like she's kind of the she's that the queen, mean girl is it's kind of weird.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: It's so weird, isn't it Because you then watch her in the Notebook and you like see her in interviews and yeah, every other character that she plays, it's like you can't reconcile the two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like she I remember seeing her in Wedding Crashes.
Speaker 1: I think was the one that I really noticed her and I thought, oh, she is, like I can understand why she's cast in that role because she is like every guy, every straight guy would go, well, that's who I want to be my girlfriend.
Speaker 4: It's like that that girl.
Speaker 1: And then and she's kind of played a lot of those roles, and she's some diversity in her roles as far as she would strive for more interesting stuff, you know, later on in her career, but she certainly had that kind of she was the golden girl. For you know, a long time notebook and wedding crashes and so yeah, to see her and it's blonde with the blonde eyebrows as well. Is is really it's God to take you back a little bit. Amy Poehler is so so funny. Is the cool mum?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, the other one.
Speaker 1: Who makes me laugh a lot, like Tina fe is so good at She's obviously a very good joke writer, you know, through years of saturny in my life. But her ability the pepper that at the right moments, those assembly scenes with Tim Meadows, you know, playing I think he's the principal. They're just perfect jokes at the right time. They're never superfluous, you know, it's all still part of the plot and character Bill and it's just it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's genius. So I would watch it when we had it on DVD, and I remember being downstairs at my parents' house and there was this little tiny This is obviously before you could be streaming and like kind of like clicking exactly where you wanted to go in the movie. And there's this scene when Caddie goes to the Halloween party and she's dress up as the kind of like Vampire Bride and she walks outs this guy sitting on a sense and he sees her and he goes and like so backwards, Like it's the most stupid slapstick thing I've ever seen. But I just have to be really like clear memories of just going back and like making the CD go back and back and just actually saysical tunes like rolling down my cheeks. It's it's like a core memory of my childhood.
Speaker 1: Well, and that doesn't that doesn't surprise me because what I've observed of you with you the Summer's content that you pulled out into the world that you are like a celebrator of I think pop culture, you know, and and and you don't seem to me to be an overly cynical person. No, you you do embrace You embrace pop culture and a bit of silliness.
Speaker 2: I love silliness. I can't help myself. I think like, I've got a show with Flex Mummy on cater It's called Flex and Frooms, And kind of when we first started recording, I was like, oh, I've got to be a bit more cerebral. I've got to come with kind of like social dilemmas and talk about people's behavior, and now that we've been doing it for a year, I'm just like, that's just not my I can't. I find it really hard to like criticize things. I just would prefer to find the funny things happening or kind of like try to find a way to be entertaining as opposed to to I guess I'm just trying to find my own way to talk about issues or like discuss serious things, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And I think I think it's really refreshing as people who and I've said the gravitation towards it, you know, people like you more recently because it's like I like people who. There's so much stuff to be down about, and you know, there's ways of doing comedy and you know, I've done it before where you tend to be angry about something that happens a lot, you know, but to find somebody who just is genuinely celebrating that doesn't mean you can't be taking the piss and you know and all that. But you like Brendan cow you know, he's a friend of mine and we made a movie together, you know, in twenty ten, and he made like he loves his music and he made like a like little at the end of it wasn't quite the wrap party was the end of shoot party, and and he made like a mixed kind of tape which is was on CD at the time, and it had like bands, and I kind of thought when I saw, I thought he was kind of taking the piss. I thought, ah, like it had maybe it had like I'm making this up that like Duran, Duran and Kylie and you know, but also like Midlake and and you know, more recent bands and Bonavu and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And I thought, are you taking the piss?
Speaker 1: Are you kind of saying that Midlake's cool but you know and durand and this is just a laugh at that and then and he's like, no, these are like genuinely brilliant songs that I love. And he's like, and I kind of thought, yeah, like you don't need to be cynical about, you know, everything, You can just celebrate celebrate it, you know, find the things you'd love, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, celebrate it totally.
Speaker 2: I do sometimes like to. I think people who engage with the stuff that I've made think that I'm taking the piece out of everything as well, which is kind of a fun place to play, like I'll post I post songs on my story and like, I quite like the songs, but they're also kind of not guilty pleasures, but they're like old cuts of Australian pop music in the early two thousands, and something about them is so funny because one missing me saying, I don't know if you intend to be funny every time that you post these songs, but it just it hits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's funny. The term guilty pleasures go.
Speaker 1: I've kind of almost I've started to kind of rally against that term in a way, and I think you almost alluded to it yourself. It's like, no, what, don't take guilt if it gives you pleasure, And I think it's part of us growing up. You kind of go, well, I it's a bit embarrassing that I you know that, I, like, I listened to so much bon Jovi growing up. So I'm gonna kind of like come to this own. I'm gonna put in a little category over here because I want to. I'd rather people know that I listen to more of the National now than I bonjo But so I know they can all exist in the same head, you know, I can I can have you know, the latest national album in my head and still have space for living on a prayer.
Speaker 4: You know, it can still it can still be in there.
Speaker 2: I like to think that I'm pretty good at it too, Like I'm happy to listen to Britney Sears all their old classics. But I do find when I have people over for dinner, I struggle because I'm like, I've got to put on like something really low key but also kind of a bit R and B and all these kind of things that I just go back to the same. I can't even say the band is Karukabar Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I seen.
Speaker 1: I haven't committed to learning the pronunciation yet. I'm going to see they hang around for long enough.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I haven't even seen them live in concert, and everybody laughs when I say I for some reason, my brain can't wrap my hand around it. But yeah, I think I still do have a bit of like, oh my god, maybe the Brittany. You know, some songs actually are also just good to listen to on your own, Like I'm sure there's some Bonjo retracts that you want to be alone so you can fully kind of daydream with them.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, absolutely, and and to be honest, well I don't listen to them as much as I used to, but I will always go to the concert because the first concert I ever went to was bon Jovi in nineteen eighty eight, which is probably you you were born or not even born yet. So I kind of have this I often think of the like in life, not just as far as pop culture goes, but like the fourteen year old me and I kind of always have these little conversations with the fourteen year old me of like I think about what he would be thinking about what I'm doing now and all that. So musically, that kind of you know, is quite prevalent because it is like that, that's the years where I was learning about music and falling in love with music, and being my first concert, I'm like, no, I'm at a duty to my fourteen year old self.
Speaker 4: I will go see bon Jovi, you know, every time.
Speaker 1: And There's been conscerts where I've gone to and I'm like, oh, it was all right, you know, I wasn't into it.
Speaker 4: But the last love was at the MCG. It was great. I loved it, you know, and I was there with some of my family members and it was. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: So speaking of celebrating and all your three films have joy. The next two Austin Powers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my number Well, that's my number one movie of all time, Austin Powers.
Speaker 4: Actually this is what in order one, two, three these so we stay with me and girls, But that was number two. Number one was Austin Powers.
Speaker 2: Yes, Austin Powers. I think it came out, did it covering like ninety eight? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I reckon, Oh yes, I reckon around that time. I may have thought possibly at touched earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was the first movie that I remember watching and the movie that is probably the I've probably watched it, yeah, the most through my childhood. I'd always come back to watch it. To me, it is the absolute perfect film. It hits all of my sensibilities in a way that nothing else has ever been created. Canon. I love the music sequence, I love the sixties fashion. I'm a I'm a Mike Myers like obsessive. I I don't think he's ever done anything, but I don't think it's funny. I haven't seen like the Love Guru though, I've only really watched the Austin Powers and Wayne's World. But I will go back. I went back and watched All Some Powers about a year ago, thinking oh, would be really outdated and I wouldn't find it funny by you know, when you've watched something, are you engage with art? I will call it art and you're like, wow, I see how this has impluenced my life. I see how this influenced my comedy and kind of so much of my life that's been influenced by Austin Powers, like the poor humor, the blue humor, everything about it. And yeah, obviously it's got a nossalgic element again, but yeah, it's pretty amazing when you find something that was kind of the first thing you ever watched and you realize, wow, this has had quite a sizeable effect on the stuff that I make.
Speaker 4: I guess yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Want to pick your up on something because I'm interested in exploring this. You mentioned poor humor, like, no, no, no, do not be embarrassed because I love poo humor and I was literally speaking to some comedians about it yesterday and I detest anybody who does not enjoy who humor, Like I am, get over yourselves.
Speaker 4: What do you find? Because while is often like really curious as to why I find somebody like shitting themselves so funny, like you know, in a very wearly kind of why he wants to dig deep into my psyche and says, what is it? What is it? And I say to him because as an adult, it's less funny for kitschens his pants.
Speaker 1: But as an adult, you know this shouldn't happen. So you were going to remember this day for the rest of your life. Like you, there's panic involved, there's emotions, there's probably it's triggering probably from it. You know, a childhood point of view, is probably trauma involved. But there's a situation that you need to kind of create an exit strategy, like there's an escape plane.
Speaker 4: That needs to be hatched. There are so exactly exactly I sincerely and I was I and I've spoken to people who you know, even here in my heart radio, and you know, I'm not sure how keen they are, but I am keen to do a podcast called Whoops, I Shat my Pants.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's just people telling stories about the time they shat their pants.
Speaker 4: And I'm not saying it's for everyone. I've got a feeling you would listen to it.
Speaker 2: I thought when like, count me on as the first guest and I'll share everything. Did I apprecihim? I that I've experienced in my life. Honestly, I saw him to you the other day, which was like, I don't get people who don't find sart's funny. It's like you still do them, but you don't get any joy out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like it's I remember I used to. I used to.
Speaker 1: One of the joys that I had growing up was like farting into a phone, which makes no sense because the other person down the other end all their hearing is like a little bit of distortion and you are left with the putrid smell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Pete. I literally yesterday it was on FaceTime with my mum, as it got to a bit in the conversation where it's like we had nothing to say, so obviously like I farted into the phone and yeah, she was like, what was that if? I didn't even register? Right, I am twenty eight years old, like this is Yeah. I'm kind of at the stage where I talk about it on my radio show, like I want to graduate from Pusuma, and yet it is such an integral part of my personality that I think it's what's it called when something's not fruitful, it's futile. Futile exercise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really encourage you not to move on that.
Speaker 1: Like a good mate of mine previous guests on this podcast, Ben Hurley, he's a great New Zealand comedian. He's in a few more shows, and he said, I've noticed every every there's always one routine about Pooh in your shows. I said, to be honest, sometimes I've got like a backlog of like Pooh routines. But like because I feel like if you do too much of it in one show, like you lose parts of the audience. But if you if you if you time it right and it's it's a good enough for routine, you know you can do you talk it for enough and then you know eventually you move on, Like you can't kind of you can't keep going back to the Pooh well in the same show. So I'm gonna got pool routines locked in until about twenty thirty two.
Speaker 2: That's important. We all meet somewhere to Oh. I actually find like I find it disgusting. It's weird. When I think of Pooh, I think of the emoji you have quite an immature, like kind of cute kind of relationship to poo. Yeah, whereas the shitting of the pants, like, yeah, the reality of it is actually quite terrifying.
Speaker 1: It's traumatic, and it's like if you shit your pants, you know that day, Like it's never gonna be not in your memory unless you know, like you psychologically this can block it out somehow, but it's like, yeah, you're always gonna You're aways gonna know. And there are people I love, people who speak quite openly about like I'm gonna say, as an adult, I've never shot my pants, but I there are people I know. I've got a brother in law who just he's got twenty stories about as an adult, him shooting his pants, and he quite openly like tells the story, like you'll meet him and within three minutes he's telling you about the time he shod his pants.
Speaker 2: Over dinner.
Speaker 4: Over dinner anywhere. It could be in church, you could be a wedding, or something could be at the funeral in.
Speaker 2: His seems like no food to people that don't be a romantic setting.
Speaker 4: I mean, there are times sometimes you have to stop the comment you okay, let's not now, not now. I said something.
Speaker 1: I remember the other day of my one of my sons when he was like five, and he said to me, I got a bit of a whiff, and you know, I was like, oh.
Speaker 4: Mate, do you need to go to the toilet? He goes no, No, I said, no, I think it. I think you do.
Speaker 1: I said, give me a look, give me like a look. And there was like shit in his pants. He said, mate, what are you doing? Like you know, you know you need to go to the bathroom. You're five And he goes, oh, it was just a shot. I'm mate, No, you give me understood. A shot is always an accident. It's not a choice.
Speaker 4: You don't go. This is a shot.
Speaker 1: I'm going to let this one through. No, it's a complete misunderstanding of what a shot is.
Speaker 4: He needs an education, he really does. He really. All right, let's move on to your third film.
Speaker 1: Before we get into the film, we're here to talk about a movie that took all before, it won the Oscar, everything everywhere, all at once.
Speaker 4: I saw this at the cinema with that knowing much. I saw the trailer and thought that looks really interesting and was bloody hell was I blown away? What a joyous beautiful movie.
Speaker 2: I did the exact same thing. I didn't know anything about. It was here in Heaps of Hip, so I went, I just have this memory of feeling like my chest was being gripped of this kind of like being gripped by the emotion of that film and the kind of crescendo of when the mum and the daughter are kind of like there's this tension of them finding the whole way through and then when at this kind of like juncture junction they come together and there's this kind of like fight between them, but this really like deep love that I feel they had to go through all of this remarold to find it. And I thought as well, it was like a really beautiful illustration of you know, the daughter is quite nihilistic and she's depressed, and I thought it was a really beautiful illustration of her coming out of it. Or to me, it was a fantastical just yeah, illustration of so many big emotions in a way that was so fun and so creative and you just had to Yeah, it blew me away. I was crying. I find it really I find crying embarrassing, Like I struggle with it, especially in public, like if I'm crying in a movie. I'm like, this is like my shouting experience, you know what I mean. I'd prefer to shout in the movie then cry. Okay, here I was like I was a wreck and I just had that emotion of being like I want everyone to go and watch this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was such a special movie.
Speaker 1: And when we're watching a game, well, this is a fun film, Like it's bonkers and it's got some crazy ideas, and.
Speaker 4: But you're right about like.
Speaker 1: That those moments between the mother and the daughter, And for me it was it was her husband and her when she The moment that got me that I thought this has gone from like a fun, crazy film to like something that actually has gotten into, you know, inside of me was when he said, you see my kindness as a weakness, but it's actually a strategy.
Speaker 4: And I think that is such a beautiful message at this.
Speaker 1: Time and and you know, in history to put out there, because again we've spoken about cynicism and there's so much vitriol and hate and and and kindness is often seen as as.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like cute and.
Speaker 1: Disposable in a way, and and not as as a way of actually navigating life. You know, it's just like you know, almost like oh well, it's nice to be kind, but to really get through life you need to be an asshole or do this and do that. So for him to point out that, to be honest, it's it's like, it's not when Cate Blanchett pointed out when she wanted Anosci years ago that casting women in you know, as leads and good roles is not just a nice thing to do.
Speaker 4: It is actually it is financially rewarding.
Speaker 1: Like there's an audience for this, so actually, don't if you don't want anything to see there's like the right thing to do. See it as economically, you know, a positive thing and you know, a forceful thing to do. You'll make money. And it's like it's like this, it's like, well, if you're kind, it's not just about oh well, you know, people will like you. It's actually about it. It's a way of actually navigating life. It's not just you know, it's not flimsy. It's actually a considered choice.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, and often think about people who have like been you really traumatous experiences or you know that I've seen in the media or I've seen in my life and It always strikes you when they are very very kind, because I think to myself, Oh, you're someone who you know, should be allowed to be upset with the world and kind of yeah, put out. And you're the kindest, most kind of patient person that I know. Yeah, And that's always very touching and kind of Yeah, it's inspiring to make you want to be like, oh, you know this, this is easy and it makes other people feel Yeah, it's inspiring.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I say to Dan McPherson, who's you know, he was in neighbors and he's a great actor and lovely, lovely bloke and one of the best looking humans I've seen. And I remember always saying to him. I say to him, if I if I look like you, I wouldn't be as nice as you. It would actually get to my head a little bit. I said, I can't. I need to kind of like my kindness is it has to be a strategy. I can't get away with beg an asshole. So if I was you, then I would be like, you know.
Speaker 2: Fuck this, I don't have time.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's talk about this incredible film from nineteen sixty directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It is a movie that has lived in the public Psyche since the day it was released.
Speaker 4: Frooms, did you enjoy Psycho?
Speaker 2: I really, I didn't have any expectations. I went into this in a work scenario, thinking I don't have any choice but to finish this movie. And from the first like five minutes, I was into it. Oh yeah, I think. So I didn't realize I've got a really bad habit. I'm sure you've interviewed other people that do this of like googling through movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's really.
Speaker 2: I think because I was watching it by myself, so I know, I didn't have anyone to be like, stop doing that, stop doing that. But I googled the main woman straight away and realized it was Jamie Lee Curtis's mum. Yeah, and I was like, oh my god, like I would not have even I don't even really think they looked similar. And I deal with her because I really liked her performance from the start, like I found her really, you know, I was intrigued by her, and I thought, I now I think that I noticed the movie. I was like, all the acting, I think is really great, and I think a lot of the stuff that I've seen from that era, which admittedly isn't much. The acting in those kind of movies feel so different to realistic acting now. Yeah, so for it to be kind of believable, oh this is this feels modern or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you get sometimes even within a movie, you get those performances which feel like they are of that certain acting style. And then sometimes occasionally you get even one performance within.
Speaker 4: That movie that you're going to go, well that person. I think there's one for me memory in It's a Wonderful Life where somebody it's not James Stewart, but it's one of the actresses who just feels like they are Could you could step into the screen in twenty twenty three and not have to change that much about your style of acting, But it's very rare. But I agree.
Speaker 1: I think performances here are really good, you know, and I think they're just you know, unsurprisingly, there are smart choices made the whole way through.
Speaker 4: So what was really interesting for me was the star.
Speaker 1: So you had this bird's eye view of Phoenix, Arizona, and there's a we'll get to the bird motif throughout this film, which obviously is reasonably important, and then you go into this hotel room and to see this little rendezvous and they give you a time and which is Friday, December eleven, two forty three. I think it was, which I thought was interesting, I'm sure of you, like the Coen Brothers did with Fargo, where they had based on a true story even though it wasn't And I thought the reason for doing it was to make it feel like in nineteen sixty, to make it feel oh, this is this is like, maybe this is true, and to give it a sense of time and place and and oh this actually happened, even though I believe the book was based on on a on a real story, but this is it is the work of fiction. But did you did you kind of think about what that meant? Did a meaning thing to you? To give that make you think?
Speaker 4: Why is there? Why are they timestamping this at all?
Speaker 2: I should got this?
Speaker 4: Which is fair enough?
Speaker 1: This is like this is always say always say that people on this podcast have watched a movie generally once.
Speaker 4: Occasionally somebody will give it a second view, so you are still processing it. Well.
Speaker 1: The only reason I can tell you that they actually had the time stamp because I thought it's a really clever move, because it makes you think, oh, this is maybe this is a true story. Was when she's driving later on, in the background there's some Christmas decorations. So Hitchcock thought, well, all of time stamp that's in December and that, you know, so that they kind of explained. I didn't even notice the Christmas decorations, to be honest, but that's the reason it's there. But we do go into this hotel room and we find maryon crane with Sam and they're having a bit of a rendezvous.
Speaker 4: What were your what do you think of that?
Speaker 1: And this is this is nineteen sixty, so this is like, this is these are scenes that we had to be you know, past the censor and then there's a whole story in regards to that.
Speaker 4: But you know, it was it was you know, it was is resourced for nineteen sixty. She's lying on the.
Speaker 2: Bed Brasi air out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the first thing I noticed from that scene, the one with the one thing that I remembered that kind of I thought, oh, maybe this is Obviously I'd heard Alfred Hitchcock a million times, but I didn't really know anything. I've never seen any of these other films, didn't know why it was so famous that there. So thing I noticed was the panning shot where they panned like directly into the window and then through the window into the room, and I thought, oh my god, that would have been so hard to do at that time to get it that smooth. So I said, oh, that's a that's a feat. Yeah. I mainly I'm so I've been watching a lot of Sex in the City, so I think I'm just immune to any kind of like racy scene, Like everything looks so pg compared to that. Like I watched Second the City straight after to like cleanse my mind of the scariness.
Speaker 1: Well, what was I thought was interesting because I think when you first go in there, you think there's some kind of a sort of affair going on here, like that there's it's an affair as far as there's a third party that is unaware of that this is happening. But I think that again, he makes these smart choices, and I guess I've writer did where because we don't have a lot of time. You know, this gets going pretty quickly, this whole story, and we want to like Mary, we need to like Marian because she's about to do something, you know, criminal.
Speaker 4: So I think at first we are.
Speaker 1: He lets us for about a middle or to think that this is maybe, you know, something a bit controversial is happening here, and then you realize, oh, no, he's a divorcee and he've got some financial issue issues, and you know, she's she just wants to this to be the next time we will have dinner, you know, we'll have lunch with my sister. And so there's actually nothing controversial really about it as far as you know, just I mean, and if this is made in twenty twenty three, wouldn't wouldn't even blink at the beginning of that, we wouldn't go, well, there's an effect, you know, we wouldn't worry.
Speaker 2: About what up? Did you guys mean on? Give us the tea?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then so he's kind of like he is protecting Marian from, you know, the harsh judgments which would have been harsher in nineteen sixty, even to the point where the guy who comes in with the forty thousand dollars is the biggest jerk, like in the world, like she's about to steal his money. But so he makes it very clear that we don't like this guy's awful, he's a sleeze he's got forty.
Speaker 4: Doesn't mean much to him, so we kind of forgive her for that crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's surprisingly at the start though, I didn't think that she was going to take the money, even when she was driving away. Oh, it was only at a certain point that I realized, oh, she's actually going to run away with it. Like it kind of dawned on me, probably a bit later than it should have. But yeah, that guy, he I didn't feel bad at all. Yeah, exactly because you're like, oh, it's like when someone flaunts money, yeah, and then he's a tight us. You're like, well, you's like, I've just gone through the ridden role of like having to appease your ego, so I should be compensated, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like the difference, like if you can imagine somebody coming in with hat in hand, and this is out of forty thousand dollars and they need this, they're investing this, so hopefully it works that they can pay off the you know, pay for the farm or whatever it might be. That's a very different They put you in a very different headspace towards Marion. But because we're presented with this horrendous man, we're like yeah, go for it, taking forty thousand dollars. Where we are on team Marian right now. So and then and also like later on when she she's she's going to leave the hotel to go back, and and like she even said before her demise, she's actually kind of said she she's going back to make untangle herself in the trap that she got herself into. So there's even even up until that point, hitchcocky is you know, we are always on team Marian totally totally. And she gets obviously, she leaves, she gets seen by the boss, her boss, and then pulled over by the cop. Which the CoP's not very he's investigation of her. Like he gets the number five. I'm not sure what he does.
Speaker 4: He gets the license, he looks at the number plate, and then then she just drives off. I mean, I know that's what I was.
Speaker 2: I was waiting for him to come back and you know, put all the pieces together, but.
Speaker 4: He just yeah, as to go. She goes.
Speaker 1: But then he kind of sees her trading in this car and stands on the other side of the road just looking over. It's a very quick trading, by the way. I mean, I wish you can't rent a car that quickly.
Speaker 2: O Life's the line? Itch is like he's never the car salesman, had like never felt that much pressure on the had never been on the receiving end. Is that much pressure?
Speaker 1: I see the miss in I've got a real thing. I do a return to the show. I think at the moment, deconstructed our gaming. I'm still playing Perth. How about we're coming to you soon? Well, I talk about how long it takes a check into hotels, like considering they all have your everything, everything they could possibly need. Is is they have when you book the hotel, and then they take a long time when you're checking in. But I think the car rental industry have seen that and gone I think we can do worse than you because I feel like when you go rent a car, it's very simple. Again, you have my details, I booked the car, I assume the car is there. Just give me the keys and it's it's like I feel like to work in the car rental industry, like you can't type like that. They must like test your typing and if you type too fast you're not allowed to work.
Speaker 4: It's like they will just it's just like one finger typing at budget or hurts you know it really it is.
Speaker 1: I've had a few infuriating experiences with car rental places recently, but I won't let that still time from talking about Psycho.
Speaker 4: Then they so let's get to the Baits, the Baits motel, hotel motor. I think it's a motel.
Speaker 1: When you met Norman Baits, did you know we'll get to We'll get to the twist later.
Speaker 4: But do you know like the twist? Did you know, like you near the shower scene? Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The next big thing to know is the twisted Were you aware?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 4: Do you think his mother was up in the the in that house?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: I ruined the surprise though for me because I watched the movie in two parts. I watched it two nights ago and then I watched it the second half last night.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: In the bath and my apartment is like a nineteen forties kind of brick. It's got the bathroom is untouched. It's the same bathtub since back then. And I think the motel looks kind of forties ish, even though it was said in the sixties. It kind of looks like a rundown that kind of eeric type of thing. And the reason I don't I don't have a showercun because of the movie. So obviously it's been deep and less psyche for a long time.
Speaker 4: Is that is that true?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I can't have a showercut and that's terrifying.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah it is apparently, like yeah, like people having showers. It had like a massive impact on women having showers. Janet ly I would not have a shower for years, like really yeah, yeah, oh yeah, I had a massive impact on her.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so I figured out that the second twist because I was looking at Norman Baits and I was like, he kind of looks samiliar. And my cousin had sent me a picture of my dad when he was young the day before and I'll show you just so you can I can get you or actually picking they were kind of similar, both kind of dark hair, skinny type looking. Here we go, so here's Norman Baits, you know, yeah, yeah, that's him, and then my dad. Look my dad kind of looks like a serial killer, but that's similar, right, yes, yes, types look.
Speaker 1: In fact, he's yeah, and you're right, he's giving off like a Steelia serial killer looked more so than Norman Baits in that phone. I'm not sure it's Norman Bates or just Anthony Perkins. I'm not sure if Anthony Perkins's character there.
Speaker 4: But wow.
Speaker 2: Also his Anthony Perkkin's like in heaps of other movies when he's older.
Speaker 4: He didn't have He came back and did Psycho two. I think Psycho three as well. He's insane.
Speaker 1: He worked a lot, but there's nothing, there's nothing that particularly stands out that that would rival anywhere close to Psycho in his career.
Speaker 4: So he worked, but nothing that kind of was, you know, your Norman Baates level.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why. That's how I came to twist, because then I started looking at photos of this Anthony guy and I saw him in the other part of the movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, which is a.
Speaker 2: Bit disappointing because I'm not sure I would have seen it coming. I was a bit like daf through this n't me to be honest.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so I was so interested because I watched this in my teenage years and I knew there was something to do with the mother. Soide I don't forget if I completely saw it as a twist or not or like if it worked on me. But yeah, now now sixty three years after the movie was made, Yeah, I wonder how many people will still you know, I don't know that there's I mean, the fact is that there are there are You do hear the mother talking, you know, like you do hear?
Speaker 4: And that wasn't Anthony Perkins talking.
Speaker 1: That they got I think three different actresses and they kind of mixed in a mix of all three of them, so.
Speaker 4: There is like I'm not sure, I'm not sure if that's cheating. I don't know. I think it is because where's the audience hearing that. I feel like potentially that Anthony Perkins should be made to do that voice.
Speaker 2: I think so true. Maybe the one kind of tiny giveaway was that it was so loud like Marion was hearing it from down in the thing, but it sounded like she was in the next room. Yes, and maybe that was a bit of a giveaway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, actually let's have listened to This is the mother and the Norman arguing from inside the mansion.
Speaker 5: No, I tell you no, I won't have you bringing strange young girls and Patapa by handle light I suppose, and the cheap paratic fashion of young men with cheap barotic.
Speaker 3: Mind father, please?
Speaker 5: And then what after Sapa music with Firs.
Speaker 6: Whether she's just a stranger, she's hungry and it's raining out, mat it, she's.
Speaker 5: Just a stranger as this man, no desire strangers. Oh, I refuse to speak of disgusting things because they distrust me.
Speaker 2: You understand, boy, Go on, go tell us.
Speaker 5: You'll not be a peating her ugly appetite.
Speaker 4: With my oh my son?
Speaker 5: Or do I have to tell her because you don't have the guts? Ah, boy, you have the Dutch boy?
Speaker 7: Shut up?
Speaker 3: Shut up.
Speaker 1: There is almost overlap in a weird way, which kind of I don't know. I feel like it's confusing. It's confusing that they're like, are we to believe that Norman Bates is a well?
Speaker 4: I guess we find it later on. I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not a performance. It's actually it is like it is. It's a schizophrenia, I guess. But the fact that there's almost like a tiny bit of overlap make you know, I don't like because it does like whether it's you know, obviously it's a mental condition that he has to find out later, but he still can't he still needs to be talking as Norman and then talking as the mother.
Speaker 4: He can't be doing it at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe if he had snapchat back then then it was like okay, but no one can modulate their Voicelier. Yeah. I was so surprised though, with the movie that the shower scene was so early on.
Speaker 4: I think that's what intrigues me exactly what I was going to ask you about.
Speaker 1: And this shocked audiences in nineteen sixty generally was a big star and it was deliberately cast. Hitchcock deliberately cast a big star because you don't you know, particularly back then, you didn't. This is a pregame of thrones. Obviously, you don't kill off main characters and big stars. And this happens, like you know, through a third of the movie before. This happened so often with iconic moments, and when people watching films for the first time, I often wonder, did the moment that you were waiting for happen when you're expecting and I would I be writing suggesting you may have thought this happened in the climax of the film.
Speaker 2: Yes, at the very end, like it ends with her dying. Yeah, the last scene.
Speaker 1: I'd seen this film and I knew it happened like earlier than you'd expect, But even watching it.
Speaker 4: Last night, I was like, this happens really quickly.
Speaker 2: She said bye?
Speaker 4: And what were you What were you thinking?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 4: Tense?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 4: How are you feeling watching the shower scene.
Speaker 2: I thought it would be more gruesome than it was. I quite liked it felt quite restrained, like when no one walks back into the room to kind of clean her up, you barely see her. I thought that the feeling of that was really interesting because she's always below the camera. But I thought it was well done.
Speaker 1: Well it took it took seven days, I can tell you for rooms, it took seven days to shoot seventy different camera setups. There were ninety edits or like fast cuts. The stabbing sound was the sound of a knife stabbing a watermelon. Well, they used blood. The blood was chocolate syrup. And that's one of the reasons why he wanted to shoot in black and white, because he knew that he wanted it to be quite glory, and he knew he would have trouble getting it across the sensor if it was in color. Generally, he was also supposed to have contacts, but it took back then, It took a long time to kind of have these contacts made and deliver, so they didn't have the time because I must if you notice that when you go, it's a great transition shot from the plug or the drain of the bath into her eye she's lying down. It's a great shot and it holds on it for a long time. And they had no like there's no post production where you back then where you could kind of like do some tricks. But there's a tiny little flicker to the point where I think the first time I saw it, I was like.
Speaker 4: Oh, she's alive. Yeah, yeah, but she is she is dead.
Speaker 1: It was the first time a nude model, like a standing model was used a body double, and there was massive There was massive like when the senses came in. There were six men who had to kind of decide whether this was going to be allowed, and three of them said they could see nudity, and three of them said they didn't see any nudity. So they sent a memo back to Hitchcock saying can you remove the nudity? And hitch Cock did decide not to do it. Didn't touch it at all. Anybody wrote a memo back a few days later saying, yes, I've removed all the nudity. And they watched it again and the three people who said they saw the nudity said, yet, no, it's not there anymore. But the other three who said they didn't see the nudity were now seeing nudity. What So, it was a weird And it means it scenes working because it's like the tricks he has played on your mind and what you think you are seeing is quite incredible. And the combination of that fast editing and the score which is incredible. Yeah, it's it's such a it's such a brilliantly executed I mean. And when you think about the camera equipment, that's what they said, like seventy different camera setups. You got that scene of the shama falling down like you're looking up at it. This is equipment that wasn't waterproof. They had to design shower heads that kind of came, you know, like sprayed, not straight down into the camera, like you can imagine that shot. Now you might have the you know, water falling into the camera and you get away with that, but now you have to like protect the lighting and the cameras, you know, because seven days you probably.
Speaker 4: Shoot that now in two days, I imagine with the speed they can move.
Speaker 1: And the other interesting thing about this scene, and it's quite a tragic detail, there was a body double called Marley Renfro who was the so she's the body double, and she became quite famous as a result of this. She was on the Playboy cover in nineteen sixty. It was reported that she was murdered in the late eighties. I believe raped the murdered, but it turns out that it wasn't her. It was another woman called Mara Davis, who was the body standing for the lighting checks. So not only they had the body double for Janetly, they also had a body standing for the lighting checks, and these two women were often people got confused, you know, they went sure which one did what, and sadly, a psycho obsessive basically killed Mara Davis thinking it was Marley Renfro. He wanted to kill the body that he had seen be murdered on film in psycho. Really yeah, so it's really horror. Yeah, that's shocking and another you know, kind of creepiness. So already pretty creepy scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's the kind of movie that, you know, there's like Alfred hitch Stuck. They'd be kind of like mega fans stuff like people that are obsessed with because he was kind of like the pioneer of horror or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, suspense, and this was kind of scene as you know, he wanted this. He kept everything so quiet and he wanted this to kind of that's why he started with it like that's you know, we'll call it the sex scene, because he wanted the people to think he was just making this tawdry, kind of little you know, b Gray kind of you know, kind of flick with you know, had some horror and some gore and sex and you know it was tantalizing and titillating, and he kept everything really really quiet. So there's a real kind of appetite. Even though Paramount, who hitch I had to deal with, hated the film. They didn't think it worked. They kind of said they didn't fund it. Hitchcock ended up funding a lot of the film by himself. They shouted at the Universal a lot which famously, now that you can you go on the Universal Tour and the Baits House is like you wanted the mate you know that enjoys the probably the two things you kind of remember and the flash flood, of course.
Speaker 4: But so the previews didn't go great.
Speaker 1: And then Hitchcock this, you know, he did this thing where he put out this videos or videos or film or trailers kind of saying that please do not discuss the ending of this film. You know, if you've seen it, we only have one ending. And if you if you were late to the cinema, you are not allowed in. You know, whether you are the Queen of England, the President of the United States, if you are late, you had not And they kind of policed it, they kind of made sure that cinema owners were actually policing that rule that you were not allowed in. So and it opens massively and it becomes, you know, you know, a huge, massive film, and a Paramount executive did say that they were before it opened that they were relieved that the Paramount logo was not on the front of the movie.
Speaker 4: It was universal. So lots of egg on, a lot of faces. So do you.
Speaker 1: You see the silhouette of whoever it is, you know now it's Norman Bates. Did you what were you thinking?
Speaker 4: Were you thinking did you know at this stage, where were you in your little Google searching?
Speaker 2: I didn't Googled yet, so I sully thought it was the mother and no one's bes cute, like he's got her a sandwich, and I guess when he looks through the little peephole at her in the bathroom, that's when I thought, oh, he's not quite right. But I thought maybe he was like a bit of a like obviously creep, but I didn't think he was capable of murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it does a really good job of Blake like this seems like he seems like a friendly guy.
Speaker 4: He seems like a friendly guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like a little bit isolated.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and then they have we won't even play the conversation they have where we first maybe start seeing the turning of Norman bas this is he's brought down supper, like you said, some sandwiches and some milk. He's gone all out and yeah, I think generally here, I mean suggests by putting his mother into a harm.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to sound uncaring. What do you know about caring? Have you ever seen the inside of one of those places? Laughing in the tears and the cruel eyes studying you. My mother there. But she's harmless. She's as harmless as one of those stuffed birds.
Speaker 2: I am sorry. I only felt.
Speaker 7: It seems she's hurting you.
Speaker 6: I meant well. People always mean well. They cluck their thick tongues and shake their heads and suggest, oh so very delicately.
Speaker 4: Of course I've.
Speaker 6: Suggested it myself, but I hate to even think about it.
Speaker 4: She needs me.
Speaker 6: It's not as if she were a maniac, a raving thing. She just goes a little mad. Sometimes we all go a little mad sometimes, haven't you.
Speaker 8: Yes, sometimes just one time can be enough.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank you, Norman.
Speaker 4: The red flag would have been up.
Speaker 2: That's what I knew she was in trouble. To be fair, Yeah, you overstep that, Marion.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so there is this bird kind of motif going through in the conversation they're having there. They're surrounded by birds. They've been taxidermied, stuffed, and I'll just walk through some of the you know, the bird that's all through the movie, and there's little subtle ones. And you would have taken these on rooms, no doubt, either knowingly or subconsciously. And I've some of these I've stumbled upon, not stumbled upon, I've deep dived, and you got some you know that it didn't occur to me either.
Speaker 4: But so we start the movie starts with the birds I view. It's set in the in Phoenix. Her name is Marion Crane, which is a bird.
Speaker 1: There's Norman Bates and which refers to the debating of a trap when they do talk about traps. Of course, there's there's stuffed birds around. There's there's references to birds you eat like a bird. My mom's as harmless as one of these stuffed birds, and one of the really and there's pictures on the wall of Marion's room and they're birds that get preyed.
Speaker 4: Upon in her room and one falls when he like, yes, so I.
Speaker 1: Think, I think yes, I think that is like, yeah, that bird has been you know, taken down if you like. And there's a really that that scene you speak of through the peep hole, which I think by the time he's doing that, we think, Marian, it's.
Speaker 2: Not looking good.
Speaker 1: There's a really beautiful, beautiful thing which I didn't notice is only like doing some deep diving that that I kind of this this point of that.
Speaker 4: So Norman's weighing on what to do.
Speaker 1: He looks and he he seems standing up in the background there's now which has got its wings out, and it's looking quite you know, you know, like it's about the swoop almost. And now, of course it is a bird of prey. In the foreground there's a turkey, which is not necessarily a bird of prey. It's more likely to be prayed upon. So you have no one between these two stuffed birds, a bird of prey and a bird that gets preyed upon. And then he looks into the peephole and when he comes out, the shot is no longer. The turkey is no longer in that shot. It is Norman with the owl in the background. And what Hitchcock's saying to us is that Norman has made his choice. You know, he's a bird of prey and he has his prey in his sights. Norman, Yeah, Norman, Norman.
Speaker 4: By now we we we should know now that he is.
Speaker 1: Like you said, when when she gets taken in the shower, you still thought it was the mother, and you know, like and absolutely you are supposed to You're supposed to kind of for quite still quite a while, like he comes in and cleans up, and you think, well, you know, he's devoted to his mother, you know, you know, there's some weird things he does say about you know, a man's best friend is always his mother, and you know this, Yeah, here's some issues obviously, you know, and he's cleaning up, and then, like you said, it's so interesting that this has happened so early, Like this is, you know, a third of the way through the movie. And then the kind of the shifts, which there's very few movies like this where either shifts so basically a character who was in the opening scene and that's it, and a brand new character, which is a sister Lila who's now demanding answers, and you know, the p I comes in, he goes, Yeah, he gets murder.
Speaker 2: He was very kind of nineteen sixties actor vibes to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: He's almost had like the touch of the film noir kind of which, you know, a detective in the ninety sixties movie. Yeah, there's probably one way to play that role, I feel. And he gets he gets taken. And then finally Lyla and sand decide, okay, well you know we're going to let's suss this out, so they go to the Baits Hotel and it ends up obviously with Lila entering the house. How are you feeling at this point about how are your nerves? Did you feel tenseled? Did we was start watching a movie that you were you invested?
Speaker 2: I was invested for sure. I totally thought she would be slain, to be honest, did the classic like whenever people go up or downstairs in like a psychological movie. I'm like, you've just made the worst choice seller, Like why so? Why did I like split up?
Speaker 4: But I was so.
Speaker 2: I found actually the loud noise and music when she made a discovery and that kind of visual that was scary to me. That was probably the scariest, A bit more scary than the shower scene. You're right, yeah, something about the really really loud music and kind of like suspense movies. I find this is the most terrifying part of it.
Speaker 1: There was one jump scare that I noticed where she kind of turned around like it but it didn't ever have any music on it. And it's like, it was actually kind of weird for me to see like a jump scare with that that kind of like dramatic music thrown in because as you say, there's music all the way through it, and it is building this tension. So when we saw Norman carry his mother down the stairs, what were you thinking?
Speaker 4: Because even when I.
Speaker 1: Was thinking, like you know, I already seen, I was like okay, yeah, and I did remember reasoning quickly of course the ending.
Speaker 4: But what were you thinking? Like, like were you thinking this?
Speaker 2: I'm like, sure she can fight back a little bit. She didn't want to go down there. It's like you're old, but like you can do something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've heard missus Bates argue and she seems like a feisty a feisty Yeah, where's that fight now? Missus Bates when you need it the most, it takes her down to the basement, goes out and he's dealing with Sam in a bit of a clumsy kind of a little bit of a clumsy wrestle, and Lylah goes down into the basement. She heads in, and what what did you make of it? So you see missus Bates sitting there? What were you expect them to happen?
Speaker 2: I at that point had to put my sinking cap on and I had an idea what would happened. I was spending the movie being my most native self always.
Speaker 4: Can I say yeah absolutely, yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: Like any kind of skull situation, I'll always find really scary at it. So it kind of gave me reminded me of Michael Jackson's Thriller where it kind of looks so fake but it's so just like bad and gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's so funny because I'm not sure when the swivel chair was invented. I'm not sure when they came in, but I did find actually laughed like the swivel because she just touches the shoulder and all of a sudden and then the chair does a complete turnaround, like it does a complete like one to eighty, and it's like, how how did that happen?
Speaker 4: I'd love to know what chair they had. And almost not only there's like a but it almost seems to do like a bit of ada. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, it's totally there. It's it's it's it's it's the mother, she screams.
Speaker 1: And then, of course, not only that, we have Norman barging in in his mother's clothes and wig.
Speaker 2: That was quite that took me aback, I guess because he looks quite happy with himself as well. He's kind of like again a today moment seemed quite like enjoyed being in the clothes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It was almost his happy place, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, and I thought it was. It was interesting when they like got to his bedroom and he's in a child's bedroom. Yeah, that's where he was sleepy peach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 2: I think that's right, in a single bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we have like it's interesting some people think when we had the psychiatrist who comes in and explains what was going on, there were some people would argue, you don't need that, saying I would argue, in nineteen sixty that sense reasonably important.
Speaker 4: I think you probably.
Speaker 1: I think we're maybe more across mental health issues, you know, these days, than they were back in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 4: Not that I could.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't necessarily watch this film in two then twenty three and be able to give a diagnosis of Norman's condition, but I would probably guess there was some schizophrenias and by Paula going on.
Speaker 4: But that just gives us his I guess diagnosis on Norman basis ever listening.
Speaker 7: She was there, but she was a corpse, so he began to think and speak for her, give her half his life, so to speak. At times he could be both personalities, carry on conversations. At other times the mother have took over completely. He was never all Norman, but he was often only mother, And because he was so pathologically jealous of her, he assumed that he was as jealous of him. Therefore, if he felt a strong attraction to any other woman, the mother's side of him would go wild.
Speaker 4: When he met your.
Speaker 7: Sister, he was touched by her, aroused by her.
Speaker 4: He wanted her.
Speaker 7: That set off the jealous mother, and mother killed the girl. Now after the murder, Norman returned, as if from a deep sleep, and like a dutiful son, covered up all traces of the crime.
Speaker 4: He was convinced his mother had committed. Did you kind of buy that? Did you feel that that was a that was reasonable?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it did feel kind of like the movie had ended and that was like the credits moment. It did feel a little bit disjointed to me. Yeah, but as you said, obviously it's like maybe it needed explanation, but yeah, it sells a little bit too over explaining as much as you know, we didn't talk about mental health back then, I'm pretty sure you can tell like something isn't quite right, yea.
Speaker 1: But also back back in those days, often they would be happy enough to kind of go, well, he was, he was, he was, he was psycho, he is a crazy guy. And and and I do find it interesting that they did, you know, try to explain what it was. I think you could the film works with or without this scene. It's interesting that the reference to the transvestite and then kind of and that was again that was kind of controversial. I think one of the executives, you know, kicked up a storm about it and maybe got the idea of transvestites and transsexuals confused, which he kind of explains when he when you know, when he kind of explains what the transvestite is in that moment. So we have that scene, and then finally we find Norman Bates in his cell and would just have a little listen to this.
Speaker 8: She was always and in the end he intended to tell them I killed those girls, and that man as if I could do anything except just sit and stare like one of his stuffed birds. They know I can't even move a finger, and I won't. I'll just sit here and be quiet, just in case they do suspect me. They're probably watching me. I'll let them, let them see what kind of a person I am. I'm not even gonna swat that fly. I hope they are watching. They'll see, they'll see, and they'll know, and they'll say, why she wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Even have a fly?
Speaker 2: Was that that's the way the expression came up? Was?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, because I good question. I imagine I took that as like, not like him using a well known expression. I think I'm going to research that.
Speaker 2: Please, little sub note.
Speaker 1: It's amazing sometimes when you watch these older films and you kind of go Often what happens in this podcast is people go, oh, now, I understand you know five Simpsons episodes that I didn't kind of there's all these references that you have the Shining or Citizen Kane or It's a Wonderful Life where there's whole episodes basically you know, around those things.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure there's some psycho references in there as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think there is. With Krusty the Clown, No, not Krusty Sidcho Bob.
Speaker 1: He tries to yeah, oh yes, he's always nice yes, absolute, Yeah, absolutely, that's a famous, famous episode.
Speaker 4: You mean, like you're happy you've seen Psycho now is it? Is it a it's something you can tick off.
Speaker 2: It's something I can tick off. For sure. I'd watch it again, like I'd love someone to show someone who hasn't seen it before, because I I think often, Yeah, with older films, I feel like they go really slowly. I liked how it wasn't I feel like nowadays films go for a long time. So I thought it was good. It's like one hour, one and a half hours maybe or or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely watch it again. I enjoyed it, you know, because I would never have seen it. I think I'm still not inspired to go and watch Star Wars. That would probably be the next one.
Speaker 4: That would be more of like, well, while he took the bullet for you know, for those who haven't seen Star Wars for this, and he's watched the whole trilogy, and I got to say he enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Dan, So I feel.
Speaker 1: Like Stars a pretty big, Like it's funny when I talk about this podcasts of people, I say, oh, Judith, Lucy hasn't seen the Sound of Music, And they're like, what, And I'll say, Todd Sampson hasn't seen The Shawshank Redemption.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: And so everyone's always surprised if somebody hasn't seen the movie that they've obviously seen quite a lot. But I feel like Star Wars still is one where you're going to go, really, how could you not? My wife doesn't understand that that I'm surprised at people. There are some people who haven't seen Star Wars. She's never seen Star Wars. She's never seen it either, she's never seen it. No with somebody who loves Star Wars. And I've even said, let's watch it with me, that's for fun on my birthday. Maybe killed her in watching it, but she don't know interest. So you know, oh that's okay. Live and let live, live and let live Hey this is this movie also featured the very first little fact on the way out, The very first toilet was in the American cinema.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh my god, that's like a perfect little bar on top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's you know.
Speaker 1: Not only was it about the blood and the sex, he also the very first told when she flushes her son, which I already. Don't think she needed to do staying school kids. Yeah, that's the first too that was shown in American movies.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's important. That's a good tip that I'll keep.
Speaker 1: It is it is for this podcast comes with homework. I am so glad you have done it. Thank you for watching it. Thank you also this for the positivity you put out into the world, you know, through your radio Shump podcast and this content. You a delight to follow, and it gave me great joy that you you revealed once that you drove you and your dad I think drove.
Speaker 4: Drove. I was doing a cross for Rogue live in where was his Mark?
Speaker 2: Berwood came out in Melbourne.
Speaker 4: Berl came out in Melbourne and what did you do?
Speaker 2: Me and my dad drove one hundred kilometers an hour down, yeah, down towards Camart twenty four to seven, came out and tried to moon you with both of our bare asses out of the window. However, by the time we got there it was just the team packing up. So I actually I cried. I cried. I was the biggest road liasan. So it's like a very you know, when you just want something so badly and you don't get it. That was that moment for me. So it's honestly crazy to be here. Thank you for having me, Pete.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you, And like I said, I really really enjoy the stuff that you do, whether it's celebrating music or movies or serena, tins of tuna, keep it up, keep the positivity going coming up, and thanks for joining us. Thank you, and yeah, yeah, hopefully we'll see you again meeting person one day.
Speaker 2: Hopefully I won't mean you. I'll be teed, but I won't if your dad moves me.
Speaker 4: That is that normal baits moved by normal baits.
Speaker 2: I don't know re's laughing that saggy, but.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 1: That was Rooms with Psycho. I am glad we ticked off finally a Hitchcock movie. Taken way too long for us to get to that, but I'm glad that was the first one. And like I said in the intro, really glad and thankful and grateful that Fumes could do that.
Speaker 4: I urge you to follow her on Instagram. She's just fun. Fun. In this world where there's so much ah, so much division and.
Speaker 1: News and blah blah blah, is it's good to have somebody that's putting fun content out into the world.
Speaker 4: More of it.
Speaker 1: I say, for those who are enjoyed the podcast, thank you very much. I assume you are because you're listening to this bit, and I urge you to go onto iTunes and give us a rating that helps with our algorithm gets it out to more people. I recommend five stars.
Speaker 4: Leave a review. I really appreciate if you did that, that would be wonderful.
Speaker 1: You can also get in touch with us at Yasni podcast at gmailsny podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: I would love to hear from you next week on the show. A good friend, well somebody has become a great friend.
Speaker 1: Actually only met them this year, met them in the unlikely place that is the South African jungle.
Speaker 4: He's one of my army celebrity camp mates. Will be joining me next week.
Speaker 1: You may know her also from below Deck, a massive, massive global show, massive hit for Bravo. It is, of course Asia Scott, my Flaming Ducks bandmate, will be joining me. That's right next week. And you may say nothing yet Asia Scott, I cannot wait. I'm sure it's going to be amazing. Until then, take care.
Speaker 6: And so we leave all Pete save fansal and to our friends of the radio audience.
Speaker 4: We've been a pleasant
Speaker 2: T