Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Flex and Frooms on Cada Life. Is really doing something to me? Menstruating babes, I don't know. I don't know the sensation of every.
Speaker 1: Time I see you're mensu writing.
Speaker 2: That's what it feels like, right was. I'm always talking about it because I can't anyway. On today's party, we're chatting about email etiquette through me favorite abolished professionalism.
Speaker 3: Huh, people putting at dark mophot. It was a while ago, I know, but my friend had a very harrowing Someone say harrowing. Someone say it's art experience. I say, a human doing a stage, amongst other things.
Speaker 1: Anyway, wide man's your on calls. Let's get to it.
Speaker 3: This is the potty Flex and Frooms, Kita, Flex and.
Speaker 1: Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: The other day, our producer Mikayla It's a Story's Oldest Time Itself sent me an article that New York Times had done about decoding email sign offs. I wrote a similar article, not for the New York Times, not quite about what each email sign off says about. It was more of a humor comedy piece, a humorists piece.
Speaker 1: But I said what I said, and I'd.
Speaker 3: Like to recite what I found it and what I said.
Speaker 1: Are you ready please.
Speaker 2: For how to sign off an email peace someone who doesn't like professionalism.
Speaker 4: I'm interested to see what we have to say.
Speaker 3: And I'm right across your email etiquette. It's very chaotic, okay, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of all caps, smiley faces xxes, Like someone sends me a contract.
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed with this, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: It's refreshing in the Microsoft in box. If you say kind regards, it means you're ten years old and you're sending off an email for the first time. Whoa kind regards?
Speaker 2: Or you're like sixty and you've been doing emails since emails first invented, and so you've like retained traditional email norm.
Speaker 3: True, okay, keeping traditional life. If you say cheers, pure pure chaos, I like cheers cheers. Yeah, who came up with that?
Speaker 4: The oisies?
Speaker 1: Cheers cheers.
Speaker 3: I think that warm regards. That's for more of a PR situation.
Speaker 2: Genus PR is thanks exclamation mark, No way, absolutely, guess what I do. I think you just let your email signature talk for you.
Speaker 3: No, I say thanks, Comma Lucinda, Yeah, what is happening?
Speaker 4: You've got their haptic vibration.
Speaker 3: She signs off with kind regards, so she just feels outed.
Speaker 4: Oh really no, just my boyfriend signs off with warm regards and you did it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm doxing people in the studio.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Jordan, what do you sign off with? Mickey?
Speaker 1: Kindest?
Speaker 4: The kindest from you? In my life? Use sign off.
Speaker 1: Kindest, kindest?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I saw someone else do it.
Speaker 2: Truly, anything but thanks and thank you is just unhinged.
Speaker 4: It's not need for all the extra.
Speaker 2: Especially when because your whole message is not dry, when you're putting in the exclamation, the emoji, the XX, how's your weekend?
Speaker 4: Did you get near it hour?
Speaker 2: I also feel like because generally with emails, it's a threat of conversation needs to keep happening. So why are we got to do a clear sign off every time?
Speaker 3: Maybe the first time if you're not sure you're gonna get a reply, right, of course, then it's a good starting ground.
Speaker 1: But then, yeah, drop the replies.
Speaker 2: I think we need to drop email etiquette. I think a lot of us spend too much time. It's actually so ineffective. And a burden to productivity to have to consider any kind of etiquette with email. The thing just needs to be sent.
Speaker 4: The older I get, the more I appreciate the.
Speaker 2: Really like black and white stern email from your boss that just says got.
Speaker 3: It, It says, Plus thinks, yeah, plus thinks.
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed because it's all needs to be said more.
Speaker 1: I think we need to work in finance.
Speaker 2: Literally, the finance brow inside of me. We've named him Gareth. Oh gets it.
Speaker 3: It's been a few weeks since Dark Mofo was the thing. However I didn't go. I've only been to Hobart once and I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 4: I'll go back.
Speaker 2: You must defoe go back, and when I'm there. Dark Mofo is an art music culture festival in Hobart. And also I was in Lornie this year. Maybe nah, I think just.
Speaker 3: Hobert, Lonnie lawn Sesstem. I always get it confused with New Zealand for some reason. I always think lawn Sesson's in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: That makes sense, just across.
Speaker 3: The ditch kind of vibes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my friend Michael went and he put on his story that he witnessed something quite alarming, and I've asked him to send us a voice note explaining what it is. This is a content warning for Pooh Great and Crazy art.
Speaker 5: So this is like a quick review of Divine comedy that was at Dark Mofa this year. I didn't know what to expect right doing balliony reviews. It was all really vague though it was like, oh, prepare to be wowed. I'm all like, oh, dark Arts, and you know, thirty minutes I saw like several full grown women do a squat five meters in front of me and do a big, huge sit on the ground like for forty five seconds. They're all like struggling audibly, and they all did big poos, live big poos out of their human buttles onto a like a painting palette that they were going to use to like paint a tombstone. And then this woman had blood taken out of her and then like sprayed everywhere. And then this woman got a hatauchy wand and squirted all over a hung I excel like there was a woman live taxidermy in a rat, and at the end this woman ate the rat. Everyone was naked from about six minutes in like just it was blonkers, defund the arts now.
Speaker 4: The art now say it less.
Speaker 1: I could not believe I didn't know that this stuff was legal.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit confused because, yeah, explain. I'm always trying to pitch for people to go to Dark Mofa or to go to Hobart during Dark Mofo, because usually when someone from the mainland except you know, the continental Australia says to go to Hobart, they mean to go when something is pumping and popping, so you get a feeling of it.
Speaker 4: The first time I went to Dark Mofo, I saw ah.
Speaker 2: It was a performance of these five people simulating the human centipede in like a body stocking, writhing around. There's silicon, it's messy, the scoores like percussion, writhing, moaning, and you're in this kind of converted heritage building and all you can see is like the look of fear and shock on everybody else's faces, and this kind of split between the crowd. People taking it way too seriously, people thinking it's a joke, so you don't know where to sit, and if you meant to look at it with earnest appreciations for the art, that's happening in front of you, or if you can just say, what is happening right now? As weeple stimulating birth out of a giant revolver, I saw just the most beautiful Okay.
Speaker 3: Okay art art Marmylex art Mamy.
Speaker 1: So you think not to defunder the.
Speaker 4: Arts, Oh, definitely, don't defund the arts.
Speaker 2: Apply more funding, apply define education, put it in the arts, apply men.
Speaker 1: And musal for all.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's one twenty am.
Speaker 3: I'm in bed.
Speaker 6: It was just a sleep and I've been thinking about the Divine Comedy Show again, and I think I understand it now. Maybe it's because so much of comedy is crude, and we see this kind of put like pooing and stuff on movies, but never in real life. Like I'm thinking about White Lotus season one when there is an infamous pooh scene. Why do we never see in person? And also it sounds like it was very memorable.
Speaker 4: That is all.
Speaker 1: This is flex and rooms.
Speaker 2: I'm Kater twenty twenty three, and unfortunately we are still talking about the unfollowing app. I personally don't know how anybody is still using it for the sake of your own mental health, But there's a bit of contention on the internet.
Speaker 4: Is it toxic? Are you just decluttering? Listen to this TikTok from Nicole dot mad.
Speaker 7: It's so uncomfortable if someone's like unfollowed you from Instagram and then I've of course immediately unfollowed them as well, or because I'm a patty bitch, I'm gonna unfollow you back. Yes, I'm twenty five and still have the unfollow app.
Speaker 4: I don't care. Why were you nodding so aggressively listening?
Speaker 3: I was listening, But I will say, if someone unfollows you, like fight fire with fire, You think that I don't now because I know that you can accidentally unfollow people. Well, you're just that I don't have the app because my self esteem can't handle it and I will hold it against you.
Speaker 1: Period. That's why I don't have the app.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could never have the app for that exactly reasons.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 3: I used to like be a bit self I guess you call this form of self harm, like when you go masochistic go back on the x's profile every day, every few hours, like obsessive, and then you do it with that It's like when you want to scratch a nitch when you want to binge, when you want to, like, oh, do something destructive, you would go on app like that, but yeah, it's kind of something I did as a teenager. I just definitely had to let that go.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because we talk about relationships being transactional, and I wonder if this is what people think I mean when I say that. When I say relationships are transactional, I mean that, regardless of what you think is happening, there's a transaction. I talk because I'm expecting a conversation. In return, I give a gift because I'm expecting it. I give humor because I'm expecting human back. That's the agreement that we're sharing. But in this instance, I like feeling that how I treat you is based on like, how I genuinely feel about you, as opposed to keeping tabs on how you feel about me to dictate how I should treat you. You know, it feels like the same thing, but it's slightly different. So if you unfollow me because for whatever reasons you don't like my content, it was an accident, whatever it might be, As long as I don't know, I'm still treating you with the same like care or joy or whatever that I treated you with beforehand, and it should stay.
Speaker 3: I don't know if people would agree, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like, I think that we need to look at things like following and unfollowing as small small things, not like the action in itself is so minor that it can't mean so much. Yeah, Because then we're saying, well, if someone doesn't have Instagram, how do we measure how they feel about us?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Which is like, which is how you would do?
Speaker 2: What you would do, You would interact with them, you would sustain and maintain a real relationship.
Speaker 3: It's too hard, Yeah, it's too hard.
Speaker 1: Well froud for thought.
Speaker 2: If you've listened to the show for more than three months, you would know that up until the age of twenty six twenty seven, I had exclusively nightmares every time I'd go to sleep, so often that I would just call them dreams and not distinguish between them being nightmares or not. They were always scary about being chased or the feeling being chased.
Speaker 4: Dark rooms, dark.
Speaker 2: Houses, the apocalypse in Bondai Beach, tidal wave tsunamis buildings like being in a building and having the water rush up from the bottom and then having to at the very top and jump tons of amazing things, and so, long story short, I went to a therapist, as one does. We were talking about anxiety, and I was like, I don't think I feel anxiety in the way that you're describing it, and he's like, that's impossible given you being a person and the career filled you're in.
Speaker 4: And then later on I was like, I have nightmares every night. He's like, that is it. That's where the anxiety went.
Speaker 2: Your subconscious is trying to process what you're going through that you won't acknowledge when you're awake and conscious.
Speaker 4: Case closed.
Speaker 2: We figured it out, and then I was having a conversation with a friend right before we went on break and we were speaking about them they also had a similar experience, and he was like, oh, did your psychotherapist tell you to take out chocolate and caffeine from your diet before you go to bed?
Speaker 4: And I was like no, he's at the brain and thinking.
Speaker 2: And my friend was like, mmm, no, there's been heaps of studies to prove that if you have chocolate or sugar or any kind of caffeine in like the hour before I don't know what rem cycle or whatever in the hour before you go to sleep. It releases a kind of compound that's known to have psychoactive effects on the brain, thus inducing nightmares.
Speaker 4: And as someone.
Speaker 2: Who eats a lot of sugars and caffeine, not necessarily chocolate, I'm like, that feels like a thing also that we could have acknowledged human human Interesting.
Speaker 3: I only heard this about cheese give me nightmares or weird rad Yeah, cheese is like a classic. I haven't heard it about chocolate. I have chocolate every night before the ice cream.
Speaker 4: And so I said, what, like, what do we do that information?
Speaker 2: They're just like, you don't need to cut out chocolate, caffeine, whatever, but just don't have it right before you think you're going to go to bed in the next couple of hours.
Speaker 4: That's what I like, you know, the unwind, unwinding.
Speaker 3: Look, I'll take the nightmares for a little marble curra milk.
Speaker 4: I think so too.
Speaker 2: The more nightmares you have, the easier you're able to like self fregger like yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Just live through them.
Speaker 3: I hate them horrible.
Speaker 4: You need to have them.
Speaker 3: There always someone is getting into my door at my house with a knife, ready to come and get me.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's really disorienting and mundangering when you thought you've done your washing and you haven't done it in real life? Those ones, I think are way more disorienting a nightmare facts.
Speaker 1: So, guys, I went and saw a band the other day.
Speaker 4: Do you want to reveal who it was?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 3: I see bands probably once every two weeks.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 3: I'm always out at gigging, going to gigs, g gigging.
Speaker 1: I pay for my tickets as well.
Speaker 3: I'd love to fund the huge, love to fund the arts apart.
Speaker 1: When it's a stadium tour. I'm getting some freebies, babes.
Speaker 4: And this is why I get you don't get dor spot pape. This is way to get me. You say things like that.
Speaker 3: No, I'll pay, I'll pay for my like comers locals, Yeah, for sure, for sure. And this band did an on care and I couldn't life of me understand what is the deal with encores? The biggest bands do it Tame and Parlor did an OnCore for that. I was grateful, obviously, but still there is something inherently awkward about the encore. They go off in a bang, then everyone's like ole, I.
Speaker 2: Guess yeah, because I thought about it before if you don't do an encore, do you know that idea that if you have an interaction with someone, they usually remember like the start and the end of it, how it started, how it ended, if there was like an awkward hug at the beginning, or like an awkward hug at the end. And so if you want people to feel that they had a good time, they need to end on a high note. So if a band does a whole set and ends when it's supposed to, like with the biggest song, people come down really really quickly. I heard the best song in my life, and now I'm like it's over. And so with the encore you simulate them back into this feeling of like euphoria, but at least they know it's done, so they carry that euphoria with them.
Speaker 4: I think that's.
Speaker 1: A really nice layered approach.
Speaker 3: However, there are some reasons why.
Speaker 1: Number one, it's a tradition.
Speaker 3: So what on care means in French is again, so back when music wasn't recorded and the only time to hear music was live, Oh, people would want to hear it again.
Speaker 2: Time before Spotify, imagine a time before streaming.
Speaker 3: I just that is absolutely insane music hit different back then though, I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we want to hear it again now because we're not going to hear it again until the next time we're here, and who knows when that is.
Speaker 3: Imagine Britney is toxic. You only hear it once in your life.
Speaker 1: Horrible stuff, horrible stuff.
Speaker 3: It also gives the artists a chance to take a break and get some water. It also gives value for money. People are coming out and want to see one was wrong. It also gives the artists if they don't have a massive discography, because obviously artists bring out an album once every two years. If we're lucky for many, many years, they might not have enough material, enough new material. Have you ever heard the expression Elvis has left the building?
Speaker 1: No, he's serious.
Speaker 3: No, you've never heard the expression Elvis has left the building?
Speaker 4: No, babe, why are we all laughing at me?
Speaker 1: That's like primary schools.
Speaker 3: You thought I was doing a bit. You guys have all heard it. Yeah, Elvis has left the building. Okay, So it's like a thing that.
Speaker 4: The eagle is landed.
Speaker 3: Similar vibe, same era vibes. So people say Elvis has left the building. I say, Flex has left the building. It's because back when Elvis used to perform, his manager said, you don't do encores because you want to leave people wanting more so in order for people to not think, you know, because people are going, oh, core OnCore, and they'll get disappointed. The PA system would say, Elvis has left the building.
Speaker 4: I like that you don't do on course thing.
Speaker 2: I understand what it's meant to make you feel, but anytime I don't like the what do you call it? Like like it's like a dysphoria where you're like, like, are you coming back and you're not coming back. You're looking around up the lights coming on, they're not coming on.
Speaker 4: Are we staying? Are we going? Should we keep our spot? Do we move with the crowd.
Speaker 3: It's a bit scary, but congrats to all our friends out there making music.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 5: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.