Speaker 1: My name is Tatasha Bamblet. I'm a proud First Nations woman and I'm here to acknowledge country t Glenn Young Ganya nianar Kaka yah Ya bin Ahaka nian Our gay in Nimbina, yakarum jar Dominyamiga Umagahawakaman damon Imlan Bumba, bang Gadabomba in and now in wakah ghana on yak rum jar Watnadaa. Hello, beautiful friends, we gather on the lands of the Aboriginal people. We thank acknowledge and respect the Aberiginal people's land that we're gathering on today. Take pleasure in all the land and respect all that you see. She's on the Money podcast acknowledges culture, country, community and connections, bringing you the tools, knowledge and resources for you to thrive.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money. She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that's here to make sure you're living your best life in retirement. So you might remember our last super episode come out so much I did. It was just so there's a lot to take in. And I know that whoever was listening probably thought the same. And if you didn't I'm so sorry, And here is the second part. So we did have to split into two parts, and you guys have been begging for part two, so today is the follow up episode you've been waiting for. I'm begsited and with me is the biggest fan of Super I've probably ever met, Victoria Devine.
Speaker 3: I love Superannuation so sexy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it can be.
Speaker 3: And I feel like my energy towards Super hopefully rubs off on our community a little bit, even if it means you go, what is she talking about?
Speaker 2: Why is she so excited about it?
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll just check to like, maybe I'll just have a little look see, Yeah, what's.
Speaker 2: All the hype about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then you log into your Superinuation platform after doing like what full password resets and like a code on your phone or something, and.
Speaker 2: You'll be like, this is actually boring. It's not worth it. It's not worth it, but I promise it is.
Speaker 3: And I've been so excited to be allowed to be let loose on episode two because I think once you realize how much impact even very small amounts and very small tweaks can have, it stops feeling boring and something that is for older people or something that is for future you or an issue you'll deal with later, and it starts to feel really powerful because especially like you and I are talking about it all the time. Back life's expensive. Yeah, absolutely, our budgets are cooked. Like I'm talking to people in our community every single day, and that's hard, like not talking to you guys. I love that part, But like money is hard at the moment, and none of us feel like we're getting ahead, like we all just go hold on. I want to start my investing journey and that's fantastic, But you might not have any free cash flow because how the hell are groceries costing you two hundred bucks a week and you're single? You know, like I just I really truly get it. But that's where superranuation can make you feel quite powerful because these tweaks.
Speaker 2: Not a dollar. It's not going to cost you anything.
Speaker 3: I just want you to like clean house, make sure everything's where it needs to be, and that your money's growing so that future you doesn't have to worry about money in the way that current you is.
Speaker 2: And like Beck, that's kind of low key sexy. Absolutely, Lie, I think it's quite comforting knowing that even if you're really broke right now, there's a time in this life, hopefully we get to see it where you actually have money just waiting there.
Speaker 3: For you, exactly, and like its slow and steady wins the race, Like I wish that I could waive a magic wand and like make it really easy for you. But the reality of money and the reality of superannuation and the reality of honestly life is it's tiny steps in the right direction that when you look back, you go, oh my god, I've come so far, but not going to wake up tomorrow and be like, oh my god, you're right, I'm finally good at money exactly.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen like that.
Speaker 3: And I guess you're my favorite example of this, not because of superannuation, but because of investing in general. Yes, like sorry, you now have a little investment portfolio and you've never been that financially secure before.
Speaker 2: Totally. Did that happen overnight though?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: And the thing is too, is that like, I still am completely broke, I don't have any savings, but you're.
Speaker 3: Starting to build your financial security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of different ways and exact things, And it's very empowering, it's very very empowering. So it does exactly. It does not happen overnight. It's very small and there's like there's a change pie. I guess that someone showed me recently where it's like thinking about maybe doing something is still part of the change cycle, and it's like you've been thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Listening to you listening to this episode like you're doing really close.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's really cool. So before we jump in, can you give us a quick recap of part one?
Speaker 3: I would love to, but I'd also love for you to go and listen to that episode if you haven't. If you have, I'm going to give you a recaps. So we covered what I would call the foundations, so the base level of things that you need to understand about super. So I told you about how you can check your balance, what my gove is, how that works, How to check and make sure that your employer is actually contributing twelve percent and that it's actually being paid to you. How to use and this is one of my favorite tools, the Government's your super tool to check your fund's performance and the fees and whether it's aligned to your.
Speaker 2: Goals and values.
Speaker 3: How to set up your risk profile for your age and your goals and what that might look like, and most importantly, why even like one percent returns can mean thirty five percent more money in retirement, because I think so many of us are like, what's the point, Like, even if I change it and go on this, you know, bloody Victoria's your super tool that she keeps harping on about, I'll get one percent more. I can't be bothered. But like one percent until retirement is thirty five percent more in your superannuation, girl, that's more than a third more, like literally not giving another dollar up. Yeah, you just have to change some boxes and tick something like, sorry, do it? Just sorry, sorry, I'm not putting up with that.
Speaker 2: That is so fair and really makes sense. Just set some time aside, and I promise in thirty five years you'll thank yourself.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you will still.
Speaker 2: Thank yourself, Yes you will exactly.
Speaker 3: So we kind of just recapped what I think is the starting point, and then you cut me off and said, VI, I just think that's enough for today. Let's wrap it, because I think you're being a little bit overwhelming, And I was like always I would never. If you haven't listened yet, please hit pause, go back and check it out with linked in the show notes as well. I have tried to make it as easy as possible source.
Speaker 2: So I have obviously listened to part one because I was here. You actually created it with me. I created it with you, and I know my balance. I'm happy with my fund. I have like my portfolio set to the right risk profile, growth option, all that kind of stuff, and it does. It does Again. If this doesn't make sense to you, go back and keep one. What should I be doing next?
Speaker 3: All right, So the next step is contributions. So we're going to talk about the money that goes into your account because your employers twelve percent is honestly a fantastic foundation. But if you want to put future you in the best possible position, you might be considering adding some more. You might be adding even a small amount to make sure that this is a game changing solution for you. Do you need to do this? I just want to preface no, because for some of us, we might go, Wow, like I've actually worked from fourteen years nine months had this whole twelve percent the entire time, Like everything is smooth saling, Like my projections are looking really good. V This like small amount that I could be adding to my super would be more powerful elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Because I have said before.
Speaker 3: And this is just me going off on a side tangent, I personally and this is personal. It is not financial advice. I do not contribute more to my superannuation than I have to, so like when I started my businesses, again, complete side note, but I think everyone's pervy, like you want to know about my money? Right, I started my businesses and I didn't take my own advice because I couldn't afford to take my own advice.
Speaker 2: So did I believe that I should be paying myself super? Yes? Did I have any cash?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, I actually chose to hire Jesse Ricci instead of paying myself a full wage. I think I was paying myself thirty eight thousand dollars because I'd done my numbers and worked out that's how much I needed to contribute to rent and bills and like that would keep food on the table and the lights on, and you know, I could build my business. But I had no superannuation contributions either, but I kept track of it and I've since paid that back to myself. But I don't go above and beyond that, so I'm quote on track for my aid, but not for what you would probably look at my financial situation. I think a lot of you would be like I thought V would have a really stacked super No. And that's because I've looked at all of this and been like, great, this is a fantastic foundation. But I also want access to money outside super because, as you know, once it goes in, it doesn't come out until you are at preservation age, and that's over the age of sixty five. And for me, I want an investment portfolio that I can retire at fifty with. So that's where all my cash is going back. Cool, So like, am I investing Hell? Yes, but am I investing more in my super No? Do you know what? As I get older, I think I might do a bit more. I'm about to purchase a new house with my husband, hopefully fingers crossed, and once we work out the financials of that, so like you know what our actual purchase price is, what our mortgage repayments will be, I think I might consider it just to top it up early, because the earlier you do it, the less contributions you need to make for the long term. Sure, like I might add another one hundred dollars a month or something. Sure, but that's actually the same as somebody ten years from now adding five hundred dollars a month. Yeah, gotcha. So like, I'm just gonna make sure the maths works and I actually have some free cash flow that I can know realocate, but right now feels weird because I'm like in this financial limbo of not knowing what our mortgage or payments are going to be and like moving, you know what I mean. It's a bit, it's a bit, you know, Iffy. Anyway, that was a side note because I think that people are pervy, and I also just want to say if you can't contribute extra, great, that's fantastic. But you're listening to this episode and you're not gonna bloody turn it off because I want you to know what that means. So if you get to that financial position, you already got the knowledge, you already got the education.
Speaker 2: God, she's good, right.
Speaker 3: So one of my reasons for loving extra contributions into superannuation save money on tax. You guys have all just done your tax returns. I know you have because you wanted your cash back. You all want tax savings, and you don't care about super sit down, My god, so true, Beck, How quickly did you file your tax return to get your tax back?
Speaker 2: Literally July one?
Speaker 3: So why don't you care about the sexiest tax environment in the country. Yes, literally, salary sacrifice before tax contributions are taxed at only fifteen percent instead of your full marginal tax rate.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: So, for example, if you had a ninety thousand dollar income, your marginal tax rate is thirty percent plus you would be paying a Medicare levey. I just feel like I need to add extra context of like two percent. So every one thousand dollars that you sacrifice into your superannuation only gets hit with one hundred and fifty dollars worth of tax instead of three hundred and twenty dollars of tax. So your money's working hard a few instant return I see, because you're taking app before you get your pay slips. You've got your payslip and it was in your bank account and you put it in your Supercome tax time, you'd get that fifteen percent back from the tax man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you'd get a better tax return. Oh great.
Speaker 3: So it's like either an no hour or later. Yeah, so you will get it back either way. So if you're doing it before tax, like you went to your employer and said, you, vickid, I want to contribute more to my super and I go, great, no worries how much?
Speaker 2: And you say one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: You'd only be taxed one hundred and fifty dollars on that, yes, And I would work all of that out for you come out in the wash. But if you were like, oh, I don't really know, I might need that cash for now for later, and then you're trying to make a decision on some money inside your bank account and you're like, actually I want to put it in my super, you would have already paid three hundred and twenty dollars on tax. Yeah, but come tax time you would have put your hand up and said, hey, tax man, I actually popped some money in my souper this year, and they would give you the difference back.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you're not going to miss out regardless of where it goes.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: So I just want to quickly sum it up in case it sounds busy, because I think in my brain it is.
Speaker 3: A very little bit at making it complex. Yes, that's okay. I think you've done a very good job explaining it. But for salary sacrificing, I believe this is the term. If you say, like it paid four thousand dollars every month after tax, then instead you put a salary sacrifice, like a little bit of money towards SUPER before that money lands in your bank acount before the tax is kind of like added to that pace lit.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's tax to fifteen percent. Yeah, and then after I let's say you're like I don't want to do that. You wait for your money to land your bank account that's after tax, and then you can put money in your super yourself that can come back.
Speaker 3: To your attack. So you're you're going to yes the tax savings one way or another. It just depends which way.
Speaker 2: It just depends.
Speaker 3: And like, not all of us are in positions where we can call up our employer and make consistent contributions.
Speaker 2: But you might have gotten like some cash on the side.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of our community recently have been talking about superannuation and some of them are like, oh, well, I got in inheritance or you know something like that. I came into a lump sum of money and I want to put a little bit into my super because obviously I want to boost myself up. At that point you would.
Speaker 2: Get tax back.
Speaker 3: So I think it's important to just know that it's okay. It'll come out in the wash, but you know, you don't get to see it until tax time and you actually do your tax and you see it on paper, and then you know it hits your account. But also, the other thing I want to talk about here is government boosts. So the government does a lot to try and incentivize us to get more money into superannuation. Personally, I don't think they do the best job ever at articulating that because most of us don't know about it.
Speaker 2: It's going to say they do everything they can accept for educators and let us know that this is a the Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's why I go and read the ATOS website and then I call you out and I'm like, beg, this is so sexy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Don't read it on the Idea website though, because as much as it makes sense, because their website's great, it's just not the most esthetic website.
Speaker 2: Yes, but if you're a LISTO, so that is.
Speaker 3: A low income super tax offset person, so it means that you earn less than thirty seven thousand dollars per year. You can get refunds up to five hundred dollars of the fifteen percent contributions tax on concessional contributions paid by you or your employee.
Speaker 2: I see you get five hundred bucks, you have five a bars. You can get up to five hundred up to okay, And the concessional is what I'm hearing a lot, and I actually don't know the difference, like non concessional and concessional contributions. What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Concession cards? So you know how you get your concession card?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: What do you get when you get a concession card? Discount? Discount? So concession is a discount, non concession, non discount. Ah, so just say it like that, just like anyway, we'll move on. If you earn forty seven, four hundred and eighty eight dollars or less and put in at least one thousand dollars after tax, the government will chip in a co contribution for you of five hundred dollars. Oh okay, So that's a good deal. That co contribution gradually reduces. If you're income is between forty seven thousand, four hundred and eighty eight dollars and sixty two thousand, four hundred and eighty eight dollars. Why is it that number? I don't know. I don't make the rules. I just report on them. And then if your partner or your spouse earns thirty seven thousand dollars or less, you can actually go and make a contribution to their supranuation account and claim a spouse contribution tax offset of up to five hundred and forty dollars, which I think a lot of you are like, that doesn't actually add that much, but go, It's five hundred and forty dollars of like literal free money by doing something for future you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's been a weak a good deal, and I mean a lot of you especially, And I like, I look at it and I go, what the hell, like, do you know what? Personally, I don't know anyone who currently earns thirty seven thousand dollars and has some extra cash to contribute to superannuation totally. Let's just keep it real as well. But this does work often if you're on maternity leaf or if you are taking leave, you aren't working full time, and your partner is a higher income earner, that is a really good strategy to just like boost your super a little bit money in right, Yeah, absolutely, So it's I guess.
Speaker 2: Like what I want to do. Is it really worth putting more into super on top of what my employer is already paying. I guess it kind of depends on your personal situation. And I gave you the context that I haven't done it.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think that that's a really important piece of context because I can't tell you whether it's worth it or not on paper one hundred percent. Yeah, Like if we do the maths, the maths maths. Yeah, And the thing I want everyone to know is it doesn't actually have to be hundreds of dollars a week to make any type of difference. We see it in our community all the time. So, like I had a girl message me and she's like, Victoria, I you know, I want to share this with you. But I have been putting ten dollars a week extra into my stuperannuation since I got my first job because my dad told me to. Oh my god, I don't know why, but like that's just what I've always done, and like I've boosted it up. I'm now making one hundred dollars a week as an additional contribution because it's like just crept up and she hasn't noticed it, and she has like one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in Super now wow, and she's like twenty six. That's amazing, right, Like, just from little things, big things grow, and the power of compounding means even small, regular contributions can change your retirement balance by literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Like and honestly, the sooner you start contributing, the longer and better the impact. Right, because if we look at the rule of seventy two, which we might do a whole podcast on, but it's basically that money doubles every seven to ten years. Let's take our twenty five year old friend, yeah, thirty five. If she didn't make an additional contribution to her super three hundred grand forty five, six hundred grand at the age of forty five, she already has more superannuation than most women in Australia retire with.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and.
Speaker 3: That's a forty five, yeah, fifty five, one point two million dollars back.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 3: Let's stop it, and she's going to keep contributing, so like, don't get me wrong, we don't all have one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. But like if you're just like, okay, cool, well I can't do much, but this is what I can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pop off? Yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, it's just let's do what we can do, and if we can't do anything, let's also not shame ourselves because we're doing the best that we can.
Speaker 2: Yeap so true?
Speaker 3: So yes, I think it is, and I've got another. I wrote down another example for you using I think some more numbers, because you know, our community member is a good example, but I don't know her tax right, So let's just use the medium balance from our community. So as you guys know, we always ask you questions because you're our listeners. Relying on ATO and asset data can be good, but I don't think it's reflective of people who care about their money as much as the average Australian. So our averages are a little bit higher because you guys are actual bosses and I love it. But the medium balance from our community for twenty nine to thirty two year olds is about eighty eight thousand, five hundred dollars. Well, I'm also going to use the median Australian wage, which is about eighty eight thousand, four hundred dollars a year. That way, it's not I don't know, some made up number. It's where a lot of people and our audience are actually sitting right now, like that's just what happens. So, if you're just stuck with your employer's twelve percent contributions that they have to pay you, by the time you retire at the age of sixty seven, which is our preservation age, you'd have around two million, four hundred and twenty three thousand, nine hundred and thirty three dollars in superannuation. WHOA, and that is assuming a rate of return of six point five percent. Oh so it could be more, which I think is not a great return. Do you know what, That's a great return if you are in a balanced fund.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but most of us don't.
Speaker 3: We're not. Those's not that's not my journey. It might not be your journey, and it could be your journey, and that's okay. I just I mean, I would be disappointed if my super was only returning six point five percent, But that's the deal, right, I still want to retire with about two point four mil. But if you had some extra cash back, Let's say that you had twenty five dollars a week extra instead of two point four million, you'd end up with two million, six hundred and nine thousand, five hundred and five dollars, which is about one hundred and eighty five thousand, five hundred and seventy three dollars more at the time of retirement, even though you only contributed about forty eight thousand dollars extra your entire working life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: That's like one hundred and forty thousand dollars worth of free money. That is nearly a four times return on the contribution you made thanks to compounding and the amount of time in the market. Yeah yeah, yeah, just because you made a good investment and you like you know, whent and bought bitcoin and you got the best return ever. Sorry, that's with a six point five percent return. Yeah. The average rate of return of the Australian market is about nine point eight percent at this point in time. So like we're just being real conservative totally. And I prefer to be conservative because I'd prefer to underpromise over deliver. Yeah, but I'm telling you, right, now, if you do this and you retire and you're sixty seven, you have to call me up and be like, Va, oh you are coffee.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you something that's probably it's not personal advice.
Speaker 3: I think I just want I think it's an ask personal advice, so I'll deflect it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so very well. I think I just want peace of mind because I and this might shock you, but I'm thirty three years old and that part won't shock you, the fact that I'm thirty three actually, but because I look probably older. But I have, like I think I have seventeen thousand dollars in my super. Okay, do you feel like there's there's if I started right now, there's chance of me to be one hundred percent. Why would that not?
Speaker 3: That's very company like, Sorry, that's gonna happen for you anyway. Okay, So I'm quite aggressive when it comes to being your friend. I made you get an investment portfolio, and the next step was to cost you on your superannuation. Yes, yes, perfect, okay, co Well, just small contributions, because think about it, if we look at your super, you are behind yep. Is that the worst thing in the world. No, you're thirty three. Sorry, we've got thirty plus years before you retire. I've got all the time in the world. I also know that taking you as an individual, and this is not meant to be offensive, Taking you as an individual one of the best things. And again this isn't personal advice. This is just an example. One of the best things I can do is automate that for you. Yeah, because I know that if you came to me and said, Victoria, how do I do it? I want to contribute twenty five dollars extra to my super every single week. I go, that's a great idea, Beck. I'm glad that you had that and came up with that idea.
Speaker 2: All of them your own.
Speaker 3: It wasn't financial advice. So you came up with that idea and you came to me, I could say, well, you know, it's really easy. All you do is transfer every single week twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you going to do that? Probably not an my own? No, no, no, And that's okay.
Speaker 3: So we go, what's the best strategy for Beck at this point and for you personally? Knowing you well enough, I think out of sight, out of mind is the best strategy. So what we're going to do is talk to your employer and say, hey, employer, you've got all my superanuation details. You're going to email your HR and say, I would like to contribute an additional twenty five dollars a week or one hundred dollars a month to my superanuation. Can you please set that up so that every single month, before my pay comes into my account, it comes out beforehand, totally make sure I have no But I love and know you very well. I know you would give me a month and you already would have forgot that you set that up. But it's ticking away in the background, and twenty five dollars per week after tax like into your account. Honestly, I don't think personally you would notice it because I know your money type, because I know your spending type. It's not that you don't earn a good income, it's just if it's in your account, you offend it. So I'm just not going to let it hit your account. Yeah yeah, yeah, right, like I just took it off you already.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank you. V.
Speaker 3: So I think you just need to talk to yourself about what strategy is going to work here, Okay, because there are some people that are incredibly empowered by going in every single week and updating their spreadsheet and making these manual transfers and pop off queens. That could never be my ADHD journey. I wouldn't do to.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love the idea that I would update my spreadsheet every week. Yeah I don't. I just go back maybe once a month, and then update it quote on a weekly basis, so that I've got all the information. Yet it takes me a lot longer because I did it every month instead of every week, because I always let that stuff lapse. Of course, you just have to know yourself well enough to be honest with yourself.
Speaker 2: So are you behind?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Does that matter?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 3: That is so comfidible. I don't care that you're behind. I care that you're sitting in this chair. I care that you're listening to this podcast yourself in the best possible position. And you know what, there are lots of people that are thirty three that don't even have seventeen thousand dollars in their super Yeah.
Speaker 2: So sorry, you're starting from somewhere exactly, and it's never too late to start if you start right now. Today I saw this lame.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's lame. It's lame that I'm sharing it, but it wasn't a lame quote. The other day someone said, you're not starting again, You're just starting from here. Yeah, And I think that that's so much nicer than expecting that, Oh, Beck, start again, like wipe your slate clean. Yeah, and I'm just starting here. Yes, good, I just start from here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's a way better way to look at it. So sorry. I hope that that helped.
Speaker 3: But we just had to know ourselves and our strategy and what would work best for us. And the only reason I know the answer to yours is because I know you so well. Yes, that other people might resonate with that and go, oh my god, like that's so me as well. Yeah, like if it was in my account, bloody spend it. But if you took it off me. Also, what's the harm in trying? What if we did that strategy for you, Beck, because that's what you personally decided, and then you're like, well, I'm actually short of cash every single month. Yeah, so let's email HR and turn it off totally.
Speaker 2: And then that money hasn't gone to waste. It's just practiced. We just tried it exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I really like that, Thank you, V. So tell me more about the options and like the portfolios and things like that.
Speaker 3: So like, I have not always been good at money, which I hope everybody knows. Like I wasn't born a financial advisor. I was born a finance girl, but didn't want to identify as a finance girl. I should have known from the start. My dad's an accountant. I'm born on the thirtieth of June. Like I was in athletics.
Speaker 2: That's so cute.
Speaker 3: I just I was real cool at school anyway. I just had my head in the sand about all of that because the school system that I grew up in didn't teach us about superannuation, So how else was I supposed to know? And I personally was using a balance to portfolio for a very long time because it was just when I filled in my superforms at my first ice cream shop job. That's just what I ticked because it said it was the most common, right, So I was like, yeah, all right, And I used a balance to portfolio in that first example because that's where most people default too. But I also have an example of what happens if you took that exact same person and she was going to retire with one hundred and eighty five ish thousand dollars more anyway, and switched to a growth option. Because remember before I was like, oh, I don't know if I would accept six point five. You might and that's fine, but I'm just opinionated and I'm just a growth girlye right. Remember, we are only doing employer contributions. The balance option landed at them having about two point four mil in retirement. But if they'd chosen the growth option from age let's call it thirty beck. Yeah, because we're not all starting at the age of eighteen, and I think that we need to get rid of examples like that because most of our listeners are not eighteen. Yes, it's gone through our late teens, and then we went through our early twenties and then maybe we've decided we need to get our shit together because thirty is real close. So let's use that as an example. Same salary, no extra money going in, Yes, so their balance could be four point eight nine million dollars. Wow, that's yeah, that's more than double and double. Yeah, it's more than double the outcome just from going in and changing her risk setting, not from putting in a single dollar.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, and that would have taken like if you remember your password and all your log in details that which you can reset your password. It's really annoying. Yeah, but that would take thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we're not saying go in and change No, we're saying, go and do your risk profile and like make sure that that suits you. And then if it does suit you and you find that you are a growth investor, well why the hell you imbalanced? Totally you're in the wrong room, babe.
Speaker 2: You're in the wrong room. You walked into the wrong class at school, exactly. You got to get up and get out.
Speaker 3: Otherwise you're not learning what you need to learn, and you're not accessing what you need to access.
Speaker 2: And it's cost to yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that just shows how small choices can make massive impact over decades. Like none of this and I'm really sorry. In twenty twenty five, we are all instant gratification girlies. This is long term gratification, and that's okay, But you don't have to suddenly throw thousands of dollars into souper. Sometimes it's just about checking that you're in the right investment option and making like one tiny tweak and then saying say good night and then wake up thirty years later in WHOA.
Speaker 2: That's so true, right, I have to know what if the growth option added twenty five.
Speaker 3: Dollars week, so you're like making extra contributions in addition, yes, in addition, So like, let's do the same example. We already know that that person, if they're inside the growth option, are at the age of sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Our preservation age crazy word, Yes.
Speaker 3: But I'm trying to like drill it into you so that you understand it, because that's how the government communicates with us. Yes, so they talk about your preservation age, and if they are talking about that, that's the age at which you're able to access every single dollar in your superannuation tax free. Yes, ma'am preservation. That's great because I'm so old I need to be preserved exactly. So they would retire at the age of sixty seven with four point eight nine million dollars, yes, right, so then that's just base contributions. Then they're like, I really want to add twenty five dollars extra because I heard the example Beck and v were talking about, Yeah, that balance actually grows to five point two to two million dollars. Okay, so that's an extra three hundred and thirty thousand dollars. But for the same contribution she made when she didn't have a high growth portfolio, she had balanced to forty eight thousand dollars. Yeah, so over that time, you can make a decision, right, So do you want to save your money or do you want to invest your money back? If you save your money, you'll end up with forty eight thousand dollars. If you invest your money over the same period of time, three hundred and thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Which one would you like to take home?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a hard one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't give you advice, but like, you make a decision for you, right. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Just to put that into perspective, the person who stayed in that balanced option with no extras, so still in balance, yeap, would have about two point four to two million.
Speaker 2: Dollars, which ain't anything to sneeze at.
Speaker 3: And then the person who switched to growth and then was like, oh, I really want to do an extra twenty five dollars a week Like that wouldn't you know, blow my budget out. Yeah, they retire with five point two two million dollars. That's like a difference of two point eight million dollars for the same starting balance, the same salary, only twenty five dollars a week extra. So remember those ads, you remember the hest ads like but do this and stand at the escalators and ones going up the escalator and the others on the broken escalator. Yes, that's what we're thinking. I see. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's a lot of numbers. It's a lot of numbers.
Speaker 3: But what I want you to take from this is if you take action and you put yourself in the right possible position, there's a lot more numbers in your bank account. Yes, I see.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think this was a good time to let our brains kind of have a little rest. Let's take a second to process it, take a really quick break.
Speaker 3: Oh and a little sub note from me, because my financial advisor, or my ex financial advisor hat goes on. I also need to say past performance is not a reliable predictor of future performance, which has been drilled into me time and time again, really legally, because if we're going to start talking about you know, performance and returns and consistent returns like go, go, look at the Vanguard index chart. We know that people who invest consistently over a thirty plus year period of time do not lose money in the market. But we also can't predict what's going to happen into the future. So I don't want you being like, wow, I listened to this podcast and it's an absolute guarantee, Like I just have to put my financial advisor hat on it, and I'm going to take it off because we're going to talk about some like fun stuff after it go to a break, and on the flip side, we'll dive back in and I'll be less formal. Right before the break, I threw a lot of numbers and a big disclaimer at you. But the key takeaway, my friend, is that tiny contributions plus the right risk option can literally add millions to your supranuation balance. That's crazy. I want to be rich. I don't know about you. That sounds like a terrible thing to say sometimes, but like, do you want to be rich too? Yeah? I think i'd like that. Yeah, I think it'd be good. Like imagine not thinking before you tap your cart.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the amount of times I have to I always transfer myself first, I'm like, where am I going to take.
Speaker 4: It out of?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: It's like to be financially comfortable.
Speaker 3: But also sorry, now we've got these options and Beck, you're only thirty three, Like we can actually plan to be rich. Yeah yeah, sorry, it's actually not beyond you to just get rich af Yeah, so like let me help you do that? Oh my god, because like then you could be your own sugar mamma. That's a good deal, right, thank you. Also, I want to remind you that the free tool we spoke about in that first episode, it's called how much super do I really Need? That is a very very cool tool that we're going to revisit. Right So, in the Government's Money Smart super Calculator, there's like a little section where you can actually play around with adding different contribution amounts and it will actually calculate the difference it will make to your superbalance over the long term. Because you might go, well, V, I can't afford an extra twenty five bucks a week, and I go, yeah, like I get it, I really do. I'm just giving you examples and want you to be excited about maybe doing this and you go, well, I could do five bucks. Great, Great, that's somewhere to start, because then maybe a couple of months later, you've got a little bit extra wiggle room and at seven dollars, like, we're not talking that you have to make these big, grand commitments. I mean you might turn around and be like, fire out. My partner and I we're double income, no kids. Why aren't we doing this while we're in a more luxurious position? Yeah, good question. Yeah, but if you are hamstrng goal like gets it? Yeah? I just I feel like I just don't want anyone to listen to our content back and be like, wow, that wasn't for me. Yeah, totally. Like even if you don't have extra cash, have you not got the education? Now? Like if your friend's like, oh my god, I've started saving extra twenty five bucks at your new friend Olivia's Bark or Jernie's Queer Bar, which we're very excited about. But it's got beautiful branding.
Speaker 2: Who did that? Oh well, I could say a little non paid graphic design named ex head.
Speaker 3: I think you might get a few drinks out of that though, Yeah, a couple of little cheeky soda waters where she could do. But if you're at Bernie's Bar and your friend is like, oh, I've got like some stuff I've started to save, I can almost guarantee you'll be like, so have you thought about Super?
Speaker 2: Or so have you been investing?
Speaker 3: Like these conversations are going to happen and we benefit the whole community totally.
Speaker 2: You don't even have to be doing it yourself.
Speaker 3: It might not benefit you right now because we just don't have the cash and we're relying on the free soda waters.
Speaker 2: Absolutely in the future, it will. A penny saved is a penny. And they say, exactly are the rules on how much you can add to your superreachier? Is there a cap or a minimum?
Speaker 3: Good question back, because there are government caps on literally how much you can put into Super and it changed. You're before tax contributions like the Super guarantee, salary sacrificing or anything that you are claiming a deduction for. The cap is thirty thousand dollars a year from July twenty twenty five. Okay, that's increased, which is kind of sexy. This includes your employers twelve percent, So that's where it's not like an additional thirty grand which would be nice.
Speaker 2: Unrelatable, but nice.
Speaker 3: So for example, if you're on like a median wage of eighty eight thousand, four hundred dollars, that's already about ten thousand, six hundred dollars that's going into your SUPER. So that then leaves you with nineteen than four hundred dollars worth of extra wiggle room if you want a salary sacrifice. Okay. There's also a very cool rule which you might not care so much about when you're young, but as you get a little bit older and maybe you haven't been making the most of your caps or your life, Oh my god, what do I do? Like, you know, I've got all of this cash saved because I was being real conservative and I'm just not you know, I wasn't ready to put it in Super, but now I really want it in Super. There's a really cool rule called the carry forward rule. Okay, and if your superanuation balance is under five hundred thousand dollars, you can actually use easy any of your unused concessional cap space from the past five years. Really yep, So if every year, like, let's go back to that eighty eight thousand dollar example, so your salary's eighty eight grand. You're making about ten six hundred dollars of contributions just as you're twelve percent, and you've got nineteen thousand left every single year. You could do nineteen nineteen nineteen and then bring it all forward if you had a heap of savings or you got a inheritance or came into a lump sum of money and drop it in and still only pay fifteen percent taps.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 3: The important thing is when you drop it in, you need to let your superanuation know that you will be claiming that on tax, and that's a separate form. Yeah, okay, miss it, lose it, yep, don't get to claim it. And that's bullshit. Yeah yeah, So I'm just calling it out if you're like, that's a great thing. I didn't realize I could do that, and you just dump it in your super and then you do not tell your superannuation company that you're planning on claiming that on your tax return this year, and then it passes and you haven't done your tax. There's not a lot of wiggle room.
Speaker 2: That's so mean. Yeah, yeah, but this is huge.
Speaker 3: So this is huge for people who have had time off work or you're only starting to contribute later.
Speaker 2: Like it's like the catch up.
Speaker 3: So you know how you were saying before V I only have bloody seventeen thousand dollars in my SuperM I behind. Yeah, well, yes you're behind. But hypothetically you can also use your unused cap if you wanted to into the future. Yeah, so like we can top it up, we can work it out if we have access to cash. Absolutely. Now, our non concessional contributions these are our after tax moneies that you deposit into a super count, and the cap for this is one hundred and twenty thousand dollars a year, which is a lot of money, unrelatable but like just good to know. Or up to three hundred and sixty thousand dollars at once. Okay, if you trigger the carry forward rule and your balance is below the threshold.
Speaker 2: Before or after or it doesn't matter. What do you mean, Like if you put the three hundred sixty thousand dollars for example, and then now it's over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the threshold yep, so you can dump it in if your income plus super contribution is over like two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, your concessional contributions are actually taxed at thirty percent instead of the fifteen. Oh, so that's still a better deal. That's still a better deal. So, like you're paying close to like forty five percent tax at that rate, so you're still getting a discount, but it's definitely not that fifteen percent. Sure, So like that is probably why it's unrelatable, because like, I don't know that many people unless I have worked with like high income earners or I've worked with, you know, people who have inheritances who are dropping in three hundred and sixty thousand at once.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I've seen it, like it happens.
Speaker 3: You're just on a non favorable tax rate, but it's still better than the tax rate you'd pay. Totally, it's better than to kick in the pants, you know, absolutely. Okay, Well, I gotta tell you it's a lot to take in. But I do want to move on to this next one because we get this question constantly community.
Speaker 2: They always want to know should they be putting extra into this super or investing outside of super. I can't tell you.
Speaker 3: I can't say I can't tell you, but I think that I've given a little bit of context along the way, right, Yeah, great, Like I've told you what I do, Yes, And I think that might be helpful, especially if you're trying to make your own decisions, not because you want to copy me, but because it's good to kind of crowdsource. Oh what are you doing, Becko? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Like you just find things that you might be comfortable with, or you might find things you're like, I'm not comfortable with that. Like someone might be listening to this beck and being like, holy shared, Victoria. Did you know she doesn't take advantage of super in the world that she could, Like.
Speaker 2: That's so dumb.
Speaker 3: That's fine, totally, Like there's actually no right or wrong when it comes to what's happening, And it really depends on your personal goals and your personal timing. So if you need and this is just all general, just like what usually happens in financial advice land.
Speaker 2: If you need the money before you're sixty years old, that's.
Speaker 3: When you should look at investing outside of super Yes, Okay, if your goal is to purchase your first home. For first home buyers, the first Home super Savor scheme let's you save up to fifteen thousand dollars a year, or a total of fifty grand through SUPER that you can then withdraw later. So you might want to be making those non concessional contributions. Yeah, okay, so that you can draw down on them later.
Speaker 2: For a home deposit, I've always wondered what the benefit of that. Do you also get the interest that's paid onto it, Oh, fifteen percent super? So you like yes.
Speaker 3: So let's say you've got your house deposit saved and like you know, you're slowly chipping away and you've got fifteen grand sitting there, pop it into SUPER and then pull it out for your house and you've got an extra fifteen percent back on that money. So true, it's like legal money laundering. Wow. When I put it that way, it gets a little bit sexier, a little bit riskier.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. So inside superannuation you are taxed on fifteen percent on earnings versus your marginal tax rate outside in retirement phase up to two million dollars is completely tax free, my god. And then outside of SUPER, like you've got more flexibility, Like obviously you can access it before the age of sixty, but you also pay your marginal tax rate with capital gains tess counts and franking credits and all of that and we try and make it make as much sense and make it as beneficial as possible, but goal you're still paying your marginal tax rate. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And for those who have no idea franking credits that, we have an episode about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a whole episode of franking credits. If you want a cute little like tld A, frankin credit is an IOU that comes with your return to say, this company that I've invested in has already paid tax on my behalf, so please don't.
Speaker 2: Double tax me.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yep, yep, yep, I owe you that's connected to your share.
Speaker 2: I see, I see, I see okay, So what about insurance and super? Can you explain how?
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I'm glad you brought that up because I have in stress in balls because so many people hopefully are like, oh my god, they beck, we're so inspired. We want to go and change our super immediately. But please don't do that very quickly, because historically default insurance was just a given on your super. So you'd like sign up. When I was younger, I would sign up for a Super and then I would immediately have insurances attached to that, and those insurances are.
Speaker 2: Like Hen's teeth. They are.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say they're the best insurance in the entire world, because like they might not be. But you didn't have to do any health check for that, Beck. Yeah. True. So like I'm I'm going to give you a really morbid example that's going to make a lot of sense. Yes, I'm going to use you as an example, but yes, I love you, But also I think you'll find it funny.
Speaker 2: Beck gloves of ape.
Speaker 3: We know Beck gloves of ape, right, Yeah, absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if I sent you down to my friends at Skywealth and said, do Beck's insurances, they would do your health questionnaire and you would tell them, yeah, I vape, and then the insurance company would say, okay, Beck, thanks for that information. So what we're going to do is exclude lung cancer and not cover you for lung cancer in the event that that happens, because you're personally choosing to vape, and you know, obviously we just don't want to pay for that. It's too much risk, but we'll give you the insurance, but there's this exclusion for that. Right. The same thing could happen if you were like a Keen netballer and you had a really bad knee injury. And then we go and do that same health questionnaire, and your insurer is going to go, look, you're a pretty high risk of another knee injury because you already have like basically a compromised body part. So we'll cover you for everything except for your knee. Ye.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So they have these things called exclusions, and for a lot of us, you might go, well, I'm fit and healthy and fine, okay, fine, pop off, queen, go get your insurances done while you are. For some of us, we get mental health exclusions because we've been very honest about our situation men in therapy, and there's been a lot going on. But most funds, so most super funds, if we have this default insurance, go. You could go and get lung cancer and still be covered because it was default and they just gave you blanket insurance. They didn't do the health questionnaire, they didn't check your knee, they didn't check pre existing conditions. And you know what, if you have a pre existing condition, or you do something more risk averse, like a vape. And I'm just using that as an example because I do not endorse vaping and I know you don't either. Well, no, but you still like it. That can do it. You can't. But most super funds automatically include some level of insurance, and if you go and change your super fund today, it just cancels that insurance. And the way that the legalities of the super industry and the insurance industry happens, you don't automatically.
Speaker 2: Get it in your new fund anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So I need you to make sure that if you have income protection, if you have life insurance, or you have some type of total and permanent disability or TPD inside your super maybe let's check if we need to keep that. And at that point, if you still want to keep that and move super, you can. I actually have two super funds for this reason. So I have one superanuation fund that is my old super that has a good insurance policy for life insurance inside of it, and I actually keep I think it's like two thousand dollars in that super fund, yeah, just to pay the fees and make sure it never dips below and that you know, I get to keep that insurance. And then all of my other super is in my preferred superannuation fund. Yeah. Nice, but if you didn't know, you would just go and roll over to a different fund and then miss out on something that could potentially change yours or your families life if something bad happened. Yeah, right, So I would say it is absolutely worth being aware about what your soup, like what you've got in your super, because if you change or you consolidate funds without checking, like that insurance disappears. You can't just go back and be like, oh, hey, sorry, that was an accident. I didn't yea, I didn't want that. They're gonna be like, absolutely not, We're glad you're gone. Like they're going to be like, we've been trying to get people out of this because we didn't do the health check and now a lot.
Speaker 1: Of us do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, if you were through the gates, don't come back out without like a stamp on your wrist, because they're not going to let you back in the club. No, oh my god.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So you can also set up.
Speaker 3: Policies outside of superannuation that are tailored to you, but still have like premiums deducted from your super as well. I don't know if lots of people notice that, you could go do your insurances and have it paid from your super since not coming out of your cash flow, so that way you don't lose the cash flow, but you also get the cover that you need. And I guess that's where you know, calling your fund or working with we've had feels from sky Wealth on the show before, can actually help you. They'll walk you through what cover you've got, what you might need, and I guess how to structure that to protect you without paying for extras that you don't need. And I guess that's a shameless plug for sky Wealth basically because they're my financial advisors for my personal insurances. They did mine, they did my husband's, They've updated it since I had Harvey. They update it when I get, you know, different debt situations. Slack and most of my team have gone through them as well, and we actually refer a lot of people in our community there just because they do good and they be good and I don't know, sometimes you just want a good recommendation. You can also top up your super to cover insurance if you're like, oh, well, I don't want it eating away at my returns. VE like, I want more insurance, but I don't want it at the compromise of my you know, retirement. Well, you could top up your super with those additional contributions so that you get the tax savings. We pay for it inside super and it's fifteen percent instead of thirty. Oh clever, got he's clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But so your financial advisor, like if you went and saw Skywealth, that just tell you how to do that properly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so you can call your super fun for literally anything appearances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could ask them about everything. I mean, they're probably not that good at giving life advice. They do often offer free financial advice, yes, but it's constrained to your super funds. They can't be like, oh, yeah, Beck, he's how to save for your next holiday to Thailand because you enjoyed that so much. But you could call them up and ask them to explain your options, your fees and like your insurances in plain English. They are just people that work there and know it really well. They could also help you set up a salary sacrifice. They could also model things for you, so you can get them like get them to work. Yeah, you give me an example of what an extra twenty dollars a week could look like over the next decade.
Speaker 2: What about twenty five. What about thirty, Like put them to work.
Speaker 3: They're not going to like me saying that, but you're paying super fees so that you access this service.
Speaker 2: Use the service. I just think that we should be using it. Okay, Well, I don't know about you, but my brain is full in a good way.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie. I think I need a cup of tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be nice.
Speaker 3: I feel like I need to just I've been yapping. I'm so excited about this, and I guess my hope for this episode is that if you were starting to feel like you were a little bit behind, you finished this episode and you're like, oh, it's actually not that bad. Like I have a pretty clear idea of what I'm doing. I'm a very capable human being. I could totally set this up, and you're ready to take another small step in the right direction for Future You. So if that happened, please go and do that, like yes, follow the momentum. And if you loved this episode, obviously please hit subscribe because we've got plenty more episodes coming that are going to put future You in the best possible position. And share it with your bestie so that you can both be holidaying in Europe together in retirement, like you're.
Speaker 2: Already yacht or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we'll see you guys on Friday. Bye bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money.
Speaker 2: Shepper Pty Ltd ABN three.
Speaker 3: Two one IS six four nine two seven seven
Speaker 4: Zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine