Speaker 1: You are now entering the court of Judge Gina Leano.
Speaker 2: They say a sister is a dearest friend, a closest enemy, and an angel at a time of need. But when your sister has become more devil and less ally, you come to my courtroom. I am Judge Gina, and my decision is final.
Speaker 3: You better be ready to hear my ruling.
Speaker 1: These sisters are doing it for themselves. Two out of the three Outspoken Triplets have come to Judge Gina's courtroom to settle a wedding date clash. Sophie Torbo claims that her sister, business partner and friend, Amy, has set her wedding date too close to her own for compensation. Sophie is demanding that Amy publicly apologizes at her wedding.
Speaker 4: My name is Sophie and you might have heard me on Outspoken the podcast. I have come to Judge Gina because I have an issue with my sister's wedding date. She has locked in her wedding for seven weeks before mine, and this was after I had already had mine locked in for nine months.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy and I'm from Outspoken the podcast.
Speaker 4: I've been brought to Judge Gina because I'm having my wedding two months after my sisters and she's taken great offense to this. So growing up as triplets, we've always had to share everything. So I was just hoping for my wedding, for the lead up to be about me and my partner and to have things separate for once.
Speaker 5: So my sister Sophie and I.
Speaker 4: We also run a business together and also a podcast, so we spend nearly twenty four to seven with each other. So I'm looking for Amy to make a genuine apology during her Mate of Honor speech. I also think it would be appropriate if she fit the bill for some of the.
Speaker 3: Hen's party today.
Speaker 4: I'm Countess doing Sophie for pain and suffering. She's taken a bit of fun out of the whole wedding planning experience for me because of her overreaction, So I'm wanting her to put the bill to have our packers at our wedding day, which a little bit random, but it should be really fun.
Speaker 1: Court is now in session.
Speaker 3: Please rise for Judge.
Speaker 2: Gina, Amy and Sophie.
Speaker 3: You are too out of a set of triplets, Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: That's correct?
Speaker 3: So are you living together.
Speaker 2: Your sister's Kate, Is that right, So there's Amy, Sophie and Kate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, we used to all live together up until we were thirty, we all, but we all live with our fiances and partners.
Speaker 2: Now, so did you live together out of home or you just grew up together and then all moved to your own locations.
Speaker 5: No, we all rented together.
Speaker 4: So that was an interesting time actually having to be adults and then live with your sisters. So judged Gina, the fights that went on at that rental, the poor neighbors.
Speaker 3: Constance at home, your poor parents.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, they were happy when we moved out.
Speaker 3: So when did you all start working together?
Speaker 4: We started working together three years ago now in podcasting and sof and I've been business partners for six years now.
Speaker 3: So three years ago in podcasting and six years what's your business.
Speaker 5: It's called Hullo Media.
Speaker 4: It's a PR and digital agency. So yeah, our lives are very interlocked.
Speaker 2: So well, congratulations girls. You both engaged to be married. Thank you, and you've come to me today. It seems that you both have an issue with each other and that is the timing of your wedding plans.
Speaker 3: That's right, Judge Gina, Sophie, how long have you been with your partner?
Speaker 4: I've been with my partner for almost seven years, and what about you, Amy?
Speaker 5: For five years? No, six years, sorry, Judge Gina.
Speaker 2: On Sophie's application, it says to me that you both got engaged on the same day and that your partners thought Christmas Eve would be a special day to pop the question, and they were unaware they both had the same plan.
Speaker 4: So basically, Judge Gena, what happened is I arrived very excited that Dale had proposed. Sophie's partner's face dropped when he heard the news, and then that's because he'd been planning to pop the question when Sophie got home that night, so he created a sign I see.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: He did contact his parents seeing if they could quickly take the sign down and the lights, but they live quite far from us, so they couldn't remove it all because he really didn't want us to have to share another thing, because all through life we've had to share a lot of moments together.
Speaker 3: My issue, Sophie, what's your issue?
Speaker 4: My issue is that Amy has planned her wedding seven weeks apart from mine. So I started looking for locations a couple of months after I got engaged. So I started looking in April of twenty twenty one, and I locked in a location that month. So it was it was almost two years out from my future wedding date. So I locked in for March twenty twenty four. I had about almost two years of planning, and Amy didn't start looking until nine months after me. So I think that she should have been a little bit more considerate and not planned so close.
Speaker 3: Well okay, well I'm going to go to Amy. Now, Amy, why didn't you pick another date?
Speaker 4: I didn't pick another date because the date that came available was my grandparents' wedding anniversary. There were three dates available. Two were in October twenty twenty three. The other date was January thirteenth, and so I thought that would be amazing because it would feel like they were somehow involved in the day. Also, being January, it's holidays, so if we had people coming from inter state, it would make it a better advantage they could go on holiday. I also think it's disrespectful to your partner because it was one day before his actual birthday. So I think you're taking a bit of shine away from his day as well.
Speaker 3: No, that can be Oh, well.
Speaker 5: It's thirty sixth birthday.
Speaker 2: How do you know he might how do you know that's taking shine away? He might actually think that's fantastic because you can celebrate his birthday with everybody at a wedding the next day.
Speaker 5: Well, each to their own.
Speaker 3: I suppose that's right. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, so you felt sentimental about January thirteen, twenty twenty four, but you knew the date of the ninth of March. Yeah, for Sophie, you knew that was her wedding date, that it was only going to be a couple of months apart. Amy, When you told Sophie about your plan, did you feel like a bit sheepish about? Oh, you have to break this to her? How am I going to say it?
Speaker 3: Did you feel like that initially?
Speaker 5: I wasn't. It was the reaction that I from. She's actually never told no.
Speaker 4: So what happened is I told her the three dates and then I said that it looks like we're going to have to go with January because.
Speaker 3: You told us three dates to soften the blow.
Speaker 2: You already knew you were choosing January.
Speaker 3: Why did you?
Speaker 2: I mean, that doesn't make sense, because Sophie's complained and you've gone bang genuine.
Speaker 4: Well, to be honest, Gina, my concern over October was because it would take so long to get dresses, bridesmaids dresses you.
Speaker 5: With no this was in this was this.
Speaker 4: Was December, sorry, December of twenty twenty two, and this was October twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Three, so it was less less than a year.
Speaker 3: So ten times.
Speaker 5: Well, I didn't think it was enough time to lock everything.
Speaker 3: You're telling me.
Speaker 2: You told me it's because it's your grandparents anniversary and you're sentimental, so you knew that you were only telling your sister three dates to try and soften the blow. Don't worry, I don't want to hear any more. Sophie. How did it go? Did you have an argument together?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: The worst thing was I thought that she was still deciding, so she told me that she was thinking about it. And the only way that I actually found out was because I gave my mam a call and I'm like, oh, where are.
Speaker 5: You off to?
Speaker 4: And she said, oh, I'm just at the bank picking up the book deposit for Amy's venue, and I was like, what have they gone? Her?
Speaker 5: Everybody was too scared to say anything. Even my mom was a.
Speaker 3: Big deal evolving. Okay, because you knew that it wouldn't be nice.
Speaker 4: No, because we knew Sophie's reaction is so over the top about everything.
Speaker 5: She's a bit of a diva.
Speaker 3: You like that, Sophie, It's not no, I'm not at all.
Speaker 5: I'm my maintenance is the way i'd say. I don't think there's anything.
Speaker 4: Wrong with being home maintenance, but I would more describe myself as maybe a sensitive soul.
Speaker 5: So I was just a little bit hurt.
Speaker 3: Sophie.
Speaker 2: What did you say? Did you have an argument about it? Or did you just say, well, I hope you're choosing October?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I think that it ended up in probably an argument. I remember we were on a walk together. I think you actually ended up storming off Amy because you didn't want to hear my point. She was also mentioned at a number of Christmas parties in front of people, Sophie decided to ask people's opinions and they got extremely heated in.
Speaker 3: Front of that wasn't very nice, Sophie. What about Kate did she brought into the argument?
Speaker 4: Kate is team Sophie, So Kate thinks it's a little bit sneaky and a bit sonny.
Speaker 5: You say that because Kate's told me differently as well judged Gina.
Speaker 2: So you guys have a podcast. Do you work together? Is Kate on the podcast?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We always? How many times have you thrash this out for your listeners?
Speaker 5: I think they're bloody overhearing about it.
Speaker 3: So we've got to put it to bed. So will you agree when I make a ruling today that that will put it to bed?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: I must say we did get messages from listeners of the podcast who said, I don't know what Soph's going on about, like it's too much if us first, or I think we'll respect Judge Gena.
Speaker 5: Of course, of course I'm happy to put it to bed, but.
Speaker 2: I am interested to hear what your listeners have been saying. They think that Sophie's overreacting a bit.
Speaker 4: I think this was a handful of people's comments. I think a selective Who what's the big deal?
Speaker 2: It's two months for you and that's why you're here because Sophie doesn't agree and Kate doesn't agree.
Speaker 3: What about your mum? Mum?
Speaker 5: I think is actually on my cycle?
Speaker 2: Why do you think she's on your side what she said, Sophie, you agree your mum's on Amy's side.
Speaker 4: I think mum knows that Amy's a bit disorganized, and I think Mum just wanted her to lock in a date, so she was happy for her to choose any date that was available, because I think there was a bit of fear happening that she might have to wait even longer. Can I asked the question though, because the October dates did fill up really quickly, and you know you you even told me I don't think that's enough time for you to organize the wedding. When did you want me to get married? Because that's the issue, Gina, I'm thirty four. She was saying, you know, if you don't like October, why don't you get married in January twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't say that.
Speaker 2: If you're getting older and you're running out of time, then the October date is better. So that's the date she's saying. So I don't think you can take that argument very far.
Speaker 5: And why did you wait a year to look?
Speaker 4: Then you got proposed to in December twenty twenty December?
Speaker 3: She can wait as long as she wants if.
Speaker 4: There was such a concern from Sophie and her partner about the wedding dates.
Speaker 3: Being so close, but I didn't is she so? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So why why does your.
Speaker 3: Partner have an issue about Amy's wedding date.
Speaker 5: Oh, he hasn't verbalized it to her. I think he's just a bit up. Just find my back.
Speaker 2: You have said in your application, though, that you do have guests coming from interstate, so that can be problematic because there's a cost associated with.
Speaker 3: Being at the wedding. Tell me about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just think we've got family from interstate who when I told them about the wedding dates, they were already telling me that they won't be able to make it.
Speaker 5: So that was true.
Speaker 3: What to both or any of them.
Speaker 4: That they won't be able to make it. They'll have to choose between the two weddings.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know what a cousin.
Speaker 4: This is one relative and Sophie's already put her invites out before me, judge genus. So people will be booking in to go to hers first, and that's why I allowed her because of that issue.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't always work like that. Doesn't always work.
Speaker 2: Like that, because sometimes people wait for closer to the event to book flights, So I don't agree with that.
Speaker 3: I think if there's a wedding in January, or.
Speaker 2: Your book your flight maybe November December, some people are a bit more organized than that, but we can't anticipate that entirely.
Speaker 4: I've let Sophie do everything ahead of me, So because you've chosen to, that's because you're disorganized. No, she's got I allowed her to get all her wedding invites out, set the date for her hens party. I made it clear that I didn't want to impact her day.
Speaker 3: How many people have you got at your wedding?
Speaker 5: I'm having around one hundred and forty.
Speaker 3: All right? And how many are you having, Sophie.
Speaker 5: I'm having one hundred.
Speaker 3: Are you asking for gifts or have you got a wishing well? Or what's the situation with gifting?
Speaker 5: Oh, we both got a wishing well.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it'll be hopefully a monetary contribution being put forward.
Speaker 3: So monetary contribution from your guests, is that what you're saying.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't remember the little polite poem where you basically ask for money, but yeah, it will be a wishing well.
Speaker 3: And what have you put on yours.
Speaker 4: Amy, I haven't officially put it out, we haven't sent us out yet.
Speaker 5: But being thirty four owning.
Speaker 4: A home, we've already got a lot of cooking stuff and all that sort of stuff you generally get given as a wedding. So we'd prefer money, to be honest.
Speaker 3: So how are you going? How do you ask your guests for money? Just say, hey, nice thought, but we'd actually prefer money.
Speaker 4: I think, as Sophie said, there's a cute little poem that most people put that's say a lot of your attendants.
Speaker 2: But well, I had a cute little couple here the other day who were asking their guests to pay.
Speaker 4: I saw that that's not a well for the food to attend to fifty dollars basically a ticket.
Speaker 5: Oh that's cheeky. Yeah, that's not on Amy.
Speaker 2: With the cost associated with the wedding in January, have you looked into that?
Speaker 4: No, to be honest, we haven't particularly looked into it because most of our guests are in Adelaide. We actually haven't even sent our invites out doing that this week, so.
Speaker 2: It's just your family that are into state. Does your partner have interstate relatives?
Speaker 5: When we say family's.
Speaker 4: It's a few aunties and cousins are interstate that are sort of up in the air.
Speaker 5: They're in Sydney and Perth.
Speaker 3: How much is an airfare from Adelaide to from Sydney to Adelaide?
Speaker 5: Not much, No, A couple hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was told some relatives from Sydney might be coming over anyway around January to make the most of the school holidays.
Speaker 3: A holidays, it's right.
Speaker 2: So, Sophie, if you're genuinely worried about it, I mean, I know you've had it booked for some time, so the option may not be available for you to change the date.
Speaker 3: But did you explore that I.
Speaker 4: Couldn't actually change mine because all of my vendors by that stage had been locked in as well. I just want her to be mindful that it has caused some issues, because now our hens parties are really close. I think it's quite inconsiderate.
Speaker 3: For why don't you just do them together? After the chase?
Speaker 2: You share the wound, share the wedding date, share the photographer, share the designer.
Speaker 3: Just share everything. What's the resistance here? Can't you see?
Speaker 2: The universe has got a hold of you and just cut a whole you together in everything.
Speaker 3: That you do.
Speaker 4: Dud. You know, we just don't want to end up in new idea as those freaky sisters who got married on the same day. That's what saying.
Speaker 3: So, Amy, you will have a Hans Night a couple of weeks before your wedding? Would that be right?
Speaker 4: I'm having my hands in November and then Soph's having hers in December.
Speaker 3: Okay, when did you decide on that?
Speaker 4: Well? I did want to have mine closer to my wedding, but unfortunately Amy is going on her honeymoon straight after.
Speaker 3: Have you got a lot of mutual friends? They will? They both be coming to We've been.
Speaker 4: A very similar friendship group so apart from the friends that we've made through our partners, so it will be the same group of girls.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 4: I feel awkward asking them to all pay so close to one another.
Speaker 3: What's it going to cost? What's your hands not costing for them?
Speaker 5: I think like one hundred dollars ahead.
Speaker 3: How many guests that your Han's Night?
Speaker 5: I think I've got twenty three?
Speaker 3: Twenty three? Okay, all right, what's the plan for the Hens party?
Speaker 4: So we're just doing just a dinner added a nice restaurant and then going out to town afterwards.
Speaker 5: So nothing too too much.
Speaker 3: Carry too much towards us, nothing like that.
Speaker 5: No, no strippers. I'm not judge, Gina. Do you know the judge, Gina?
Speaker 4: Do you know the fuss that went into naming Sophie's hens party?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Is it? Does it have a name? What's it called?
Speaker 5: It's it's ladulchi vita, And it's why I had.
Speaker 3: You've stolen that from someone else? And what you had a lot of fus coming up with the name that you stole from someone else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a theme.
Speaker 1: It's a.
Speaker 3: Dress up you want to dress like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just more of an Italian sort of summer summer vibes.
Speaker 3: So i'd see, all right, and what about you Amy? How many yours?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: How many guests? Uh? I think it's around thirty five or something like that.
Speaker 3: Gosh, where are you going?
Speaker 4: We're actually doing it at my house. So this is the other thing, Gina. Maybe this is we have to plan her hands party in in her back. So it's going to be a bit of an it's a tennis theme, so unfortunately I don't have a tennis court. I know, Gena, you don't like tennis courts, but if I have.
Speaker 2: A tennis seat either, I'm sure the whole world knows that story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could have worn your heels to mine if I had one.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: I don't own a tracksuit and I don't have runners.
Speaker 4: I would have had no issue with your rocking up to my tennis day in your heels.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no tennis court. Okay, So there for a tennis theme.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's it's Wimbledon theme, so everyone can dress it white.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right? So and that what's that costing your head? Do you think for thirty five people at your house?
Speaker 5: I think it's a little bit less.
Speaker 4: I think we're doing about because yeah, we're having catering there, so I think we're still crunching the numbers. I'm assuming around seventy five dollars ahead just to cover the cost of alcohol and food.
Speaker 2: So, Sophie, what you've said to me in your application, you would like Amy to apologize in front of everyone at your wedding and it can't be sarcastic.
Speaker 3: Good, But that one.
Speaker 5: I actually did.
Speaker 4: I did change my what I wanted. I actually wanted her to cover the costs of my Hen's party.
Speaker 5: Considering I have back flipping.
Speaker 4: Sophie, I didn't want it to be too theatrical at my wedding. So I had a change of heart and thought, maybe I think you was a.
Speaker 2: Change of heart, because why would you drag this dirty laundry into your wedding speeches? I think that you could leave that well and truly behind and not tarnish anything. But it is a funny story, I suppose. Okay, but what you actually really want is what?
Speaker 3: Tell me?
Speaker 4: I would just like her to cover the costs of a chunk of my hens party because.
Speaker 3: Your Hens party?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, bridesmaids do that anyway, don't they.
Speaker 3: Well, so why do I need to rule it? Is she not likely to do it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, she might get out of it. I don't know, she's got an expensive wedding to pay for us.
Speaker 3: Well, were we going to send her down the gurgler financially a lot of expenses?
Speaker 5: Maybe just a donation towards the hands.
Speaker 3: I'll see.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that's fun, Okay, so that's what you like. And how much is the donation that you're after?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: I think it was around the thousand dollar.
Speaker 3: Mart thousand is at all okay, Amy, your counterclaiming counter suing for pain and suffering caused by Sophie's overreaction.
Speaker 4: It's correct you explain the pain and suffering is because it was supposed to be a really happy time. When you announce we've chosen this venue, it's very exciting.
Speaker 3: There's more to right this wrong.
Speaker 2: I want Sophie to pay for Dale and I to have what what.
Speaker 3: Our packers at your wedding? What we said at the start we wanted our wedding to be really fun. Is that fun and not for the packers? I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: But as Sophie took away from the initial fun, I think it's only for her to cover the cost. Oh, you've given me info and l packers. Did you get the price on that?
Speaker 5: I think it's around the eight hundred dollar mark.
Speaker 3: For how many our packers?
Speaker 5: Who has?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 2: I did marry a European man. His family were all very hairy. I could have our packers at that wedding.
Speaker 5: Well might not like that, but Judgenna, you were a wedding celebrate.
Speaker 3: You've seen I have seen all sorts at weddings.
Speaker 4: There seems to be a lot of fun taken out of this wedding experience because Sophie has been just ridiculous about these dates.
Speaker 5: Let's be honest.
Speaker 3: So you think that the ol packers will put the fun back into it?
Speaker 5: I think so, Judge Gena.
Speaker 3: So let's take any equation. Would you seriously have organized ol packers at your wedding? Yeah?
Speaker 5: We were actually donkeys.
Speaker 4: Can you see my frustration, Judge Gina, though, this is what I was concerned about in the lead up. Amy has a lot of wacky ideas, but she doesn't quite have the organization to make sure that these things are locked in.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm going to make my decision. I'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Judge Gina is deliberating and will soon hand down her verdict. Please do not leave the courtroom.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I've made my decision.
Speaker 2: So, Sophie, you're asking for one thousand dollars from Amy to pay for your hens night, and Amy you're asking Sophie to pay eight hundred dollars for ol Packers. What I'm going to do is I'm going to make a ruling, and I'm going to rule right in the middle.
Speaker 3: For both of you.
Speaker 2: Sophie to pay Amy four hundred dollars for the ol packers, and Amy, I'm ruling that you pay five hundred dollars for Sophie's hens night. So we're meeting in the middle and you're both going to get half of what you're asking for. Good luck, and that's my final decision.
Speaker 4: I am really happy with today's outcome. I think it was really fair and it was just nice for both of us to get.
Speaker 5: Our point of views out. She really grewed both of us.
Speaker 4: I mean I was sweating at one point, thinking, God, am I being over the top?
Speaker 5: Am I in the wrong?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty happy with Judge Jana's decision because I was actually consented quite often throughout the trial that she was on Sophie's side, So I'm pretty happy with decision. I was worried that bringing this up again would cause a bit of an argument, but I think it was nice to hear that she wasn't trying to be vindictive in planning her wedding so close to mine, So I think it will make things a little bit easier going forward. My only concern is it is still up in the air because whilst Gina acknowledged we were both sort of right, she also acknowledged that we were both wrong, so I don't necessarily think it's put an end to things, but I think it's made one another feel heard and justified. So hopefully the weddings will be a happy occasion and we can just forget about it.
Speaker 3: This is being an iHeart production.