Speaker 1: Welcome to them. Christian O'Connell show podcast. Let's get into it. Do you remember the Never Ending Story in the eighties? Asked Jack to watch it yesterday evening. But here's fresh millennial take on the never Ending.
Speaker 2: Story so far, he's slay the karate Kid, He's slay top Gun, which is still a very sort of point on the show.
Speaker 1: All right, they're never Ending Story. Now.
Speaker 2: I went back to this last year. You know, we were in oh, the heydays of Lockdown when it was I was into it before everybody else was into Lockdown. When we're in Lockdown number two, I was just trying to find old movies from the eighties. I thought the kids might enjoy took them to The Never Ending Story.
Speaker 3: No, they wouldn't have loved it.
Speaker 2: Adults should never go back to that movie. I've actually written on a piece of paper, put in an envelope and sealed it and given it to Jack. I think I can predict your takes on this. All right, open it up now before I ask you, Jack, what did you make fresh eyes, cold eyes? Fresh eyes on Never Ending Story?
Speaker 3: I opened the envelope. I gotta say the song theme song is a banger.
Speaker 2: The only thing that's banging any kind of energy to the relentless and those your takes.
Speaker 1: I've written down four tapes.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay, pretty much our takes lineup.
Speaker 1: Do they right? Okay? So what have I putt down for number one?
Speaker 3: Okay? No surprises for the first one, because it's my bugbear with every Aid movie. Way too slow, but.
Speaker 1: This one's horrendous.
Speaker 2: It's only nineteen minutes, but who knew nineteen minutes could actually go by like nine hours. I don't know if they called it the never Ending Story after someone saw.
Speaker 1: A first cut, I went't work. It's out the never Ending Story. Wait, let's call it that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it should be called the never ending cut scenes because it's the parts between the dialogue that.
Speaker 1: Takes so long.
Speaker 3: Purge, its just flying around on that big dragon. Yeah, three minutes with no dialogue.
Speaker 1: Generation we've taken number three or four. It's about that dragon on dragon. Why he's so creepy, so creepy.
Speaker 3: All of the character My main takeaway from it is all of the characters are so scary and unlikable. I can't believe this was a movie for children. You know, it is so dark.
Speaker 1: I was I think it.
Speaker 2: Was made by someone someone who was bullied by children right and hated mankind.
Speaker 3: You know, you know what it is. I found out it's a German book and it was filmed in Munich, and it's made by the Germans. They don't care for a Hollywood ending.
Speaker 1: What are you saying.
Speaker 3: Well, they killed that horse twenty minutes in attacks Yeah, four arttacks sinking into the quagmire, and you think, all right, hang on minute.
Speaker 2: Quagmire was the other word that Slash was going to use, but he went with countenance.
Speaker 1: The rock and roll quagmire has been changed forever. You had me a quagmire. Put that on the promo.
Speaker 3: If it was an American film, a tray, you would have pulled out the horse from the cragmire, just at the last second before he goes on. Twenty minutes into the film, the horse goes under. Okay, he's just he drowned in.
Speaker 4: The grammar, cried up, kids cried up, and the all the something about the eighties and how they did the makeup on the goblins and the characters, they're all stuff of nightmare.
Speaker 2: And as a Goblin fan yourself, you must have been a frontship by that.
Speaker 3: I had statues of wizards. I didn't have statues of goblins growing up.
Speaker 1: He drew the line at goblins I could have watched by the way. One of my takes then, is also about the technology used. Take number two. The lip sinking is they don't make any effort.
Speaker 3: They have no effort feulcre and the Mark is Mark, the bad guy, the wolf, black Wolf. He they both are terribly, terribly lips sinking.
Speaker 2: It must have seen it and gone, can we charge people this? No, No, it doesn't nothing sinks up doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It's the eighties.
Speaker 3: It's like whatever mechanism they have for shutting and opening the mouth was too slow for normal speech. So it always feels it's just lagging behind shoking. And then the third thing is just and this is this is my bug bear with most fantasy films, but just the absolute nonsense of some of the storylines. So the Emperor, trying to save the whole of Fantasia, says to a tray you, hey, you got to go on this quest to save Fantasia for no reason, he says, And you have to go alone. No one can go with you. Oh and another thing, you can't take any weapons. Yeah, it doesn't explain why that is, just says that's the way it has to be.
Speaker 2: And also the big ending that they keep babbling on about and you can barely understand it because you're hearing someone then seeing the mouse see someone else, right, is such an anticlimax? Yeah, and so how many swirling crowds do we need to see?
Speaker 3: Tell me if you did this, I could hardly hear the dialogue between the characters because I kept turning down the volume because anytime one of the monsters came on, it was the movie was far too loud.
Speaker 2: I watched it with you know that the captions on them so I could actually try and understand it, and a lot of it they just went inaudible, mumbling all it says is inaudible, and mumble all the creatures has come on in, Yes, they were Head of the Ozark or any of those Netflix shows that are really dimly lit, and it's like, what was he saying?
Speaker 1: What it's like inaudible mumbling?
Speaker 3: Two out of ten for me, and the extra points for the banger of the theme song. Two out of ten for the movie.
Speaker 1: Don't you think one of the most depressing kids movies you've ever seen? Its relentlessly gray and depressed.
Speaker 3: You're not show it to your children.
Speaker 2: No more kids movies Germany but Christian O'Connell Show podcast