Speaker 1: I Heart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold when I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart.
Speaker 1: App Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. The reason why I know it's five weeks away from Christmas because I know that today is November the eighteenth. My youngest daughter, Lois is nineteen today birthday.
Speaker 1: Lois said goodbye to good night to her last night.
Speaker 2: I was I cannot believe that when I see you today, you need nineteen years old, and you know Alex and Pats, you guys have got kids.
Speaker 1: It goes so quick. I remember her being born. It was a home birth.
Speaker 2: It's a very unusual kind of birth to be part of, wildly exciting and wildly terrifying as well, because you're at home. This is like this should be in a hospital. Note I shouldn't be a significant part of this, you know. And at one point it all started to go very quickly, and rang this midwife that we'd hired would come and be part of it, who is trained and if anything happened, could deal with it.
Speaker 1: And so she was like, I'm in traffic.
Speaker 2: There's a high chance that Lois is going to come before I get there.
Speaker 1: It was just me and Sarah, and I remember just whispering to that I can't happen.
Speaker 2: Just the skill set I have is flimsy at best, and it isn't delivering babies. It's just it was just so scarce responsibility. Ever, it's a child. She did make it there and that now it's the time. But anyway, I was just last night, I was rapping all the presents and it's funny how in the relationship you just have roles and you never discuss them being given out. You just kind of like morph into who does what for certain things. And I sort of realized that I've always been the person that gets the presence and wraps them in our family. That's the way it's always been. I absolutely love getting the presence. I love wrapping them. It makes me so excited. Anyway, I was doing Lewis's card yesterday. We don't use our handwriting pay often now, do we No, Almost never. We're on our phones typing all everything out. Everything is typed out auto. It suddenly now when you got to fill out a card, I get really anxious.
Speaker 1: Act she was getting. I get performance anxiety. Same when you have to.
Speaker 2: Put that squiggle on the back of the credit card. The no one checks anymore? Why is that still there? Tap and go? It's irrelevant. Why we got no one goes and hang on a second, do it again? Do it five times? You used to have that signature to do it, people would actually examine it, whereas now no one cares, do they?
Speaker 1: No, no one? You're right, and then ask for other forms of our day too.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's it. So anyway, I'm filling out this card yesterday, and I'd spent about an hour writing a poem. I've never done this before. I thought, I'm going to do something with a different I'm going to write a poet about him. When she was a very young girl, I used to call a little ray. If you've met my daughter Lowis, she's she's like a ball of energy, okay, and so she was like this, just constant ray of energy.
Speaker 1: So I still called a little ray. So I thought, I'm going to write a poem about little Rain.
Speaker 2: And what's happened to little Ray who's now you know Lois, who's nineteen today today Little Ray.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to tell how hard it is to write poetry.
Speaker 2: It's like, really and then once you start with the rhyming thing and little ray and nineteen today, I was like, I don't have any other rhyming words, and why have you started this work?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm halfway through this. The rhyming has ended. Now it's just like a speech of some sort in couplets.
Speaker 4: You should have started with an acrostic poem like l L is full. No no no no heid.
Speaker 2: No no no no no no no no no no. I remember last year when they want to do something at the funeral and part of the eulogy, and I said, some of them, daughters, why don't you got together and do something for y Nana, for Jackie Jay, for Joyce. No, no, no, that's what lame people do.
Speaker 1: If I then go happy nineteenth. Oh you did use that idea? Then help? I love you. Anyway, This poem is.
Speaker 2: Taken forever and I'm like, why do I even blood start this? She's going to read through and ditch the car. Just start open the Mecca stuff. Anyways, it gains the last line. I've done it. I screwed up the handwriten. I misspelt something well and I was using a fountain pen. So yeah, and I put a line through it and then it was just this ugly splurch and I was like, I have to go and by.
Speaker 3: Nothing, I had to go out to a servo doing servos and I can only describe as it screams, servo card, servo card.
Speaker 2: They're so generic. What human is this for? There's nothing relevant to Lois.
Speaker 1: She's going to know where'd you get this card? Oh wait, there's a poem in here.
Speaker 2: So I then had to go back again, now even more nervous, to copy out this poem again by hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've got to do a test one on a just like a random piece of paper, and then maybe you can graduate using handwriting.
Speaker 1: Isn't it at the end a shake up? It's a skill.
Speaker 2: I should have got someone on their tip while I dictating my perment to write down who's got a pen license? Because when I moved here to Australia, I organized you've all got pen licensees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was like the best day of my life.
Speaker 1: I still remember.
Speaker 4: It's so clearly year five mister Lee's class. When I finally got it after failing a few times, and you get this laminated little piece of green license joking like a driver's license like a driver's license. I think I still have it at home. It's my pride and joy.
Speaker 2: So you've got yours, you pass first time? Pahts, you've got a maculate handwriting. I have.
Speaker 1: I haven't got the bit of paper, but it's funny.
Speaker 2: I found Audrey's the other day.
Speaker 4: I picked up a book and it sort of fell out of the book from when she was I don't know what grade would have we been.
Speaker 1: You thought you were grade five? Yeah, mine was grade five?
Speaker 2: Okay, oh that was late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, run great.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's the handwrite. I think it's those eyes of yours. Rio has really bad eyes. So if I ever go hey, can you ever quit?
Speaker 1: Look and Google?
Speaker 2: I can see him panic. He actually holds the laptop up to like a time traveler. Who a thousand years old? We do, and you're a thirty. So that with the worst eye sights I've ever known for anyone. It's like a mold who's coming out of as a WHOOPI hole. I think that's just why you had to do it. A couple of topics. Did you pass it first time?
Speaker 1: Alex? I have no recollection of a pen license. I don't think they have farm kids. They don't get them to do them, you.
Speaker 4: Know how license Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: If you lucky. I don't think the far reaches original in yourself. Well, I don't think they had pen licenses, so.
Speaker 2: We don't have them. Don't have them in the UK. Handwriting is something, it's a basic. It's not something we need to be rewarded with some kind of certificate a license. It's not a big day in your life because it's a basic that you can write.
Speaker 4: I think it is just the very Australian thing where you need a license for everything, like you can't do anything in this country.
Speaker 1: It's so much bureacracy in this country.
Speaker 4: Even for small children to use a pen has to go through some red tape.
Speaker 2: You're right the myth of no worries. There are more worries here than there are in the UK, with red tip and licenses for everything in permits.
Speaker 4: The Christian O'Connell show go On podcast