Speaker 1: High Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Are good Pickup with Britt Hockley.
Speaker 1: And Laura Burn Brady or what our windows?
Speaker 2: That's my worries in the dust. Only good fabs are all around. I've don't much, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know our big get and what our want. It don't matter where.
Speaker 2: This is the pickup.
Speaker 1: Happy Monday everyone, you're listening to the pick Up with Brett Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 4: We're both very excited about today's show because we do have a superstar that we both low key can we say we're crushing or I don't know?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I notoriously if you've listened to the show.
Speaker 2: Enough, don't know. I don't know anyone.
Speaker 1: I don't know anyone.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on in the world. Once we had Beyonce coming in and you were like, who's that? Who's Yonce?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, maybe no. Honestly, I'm so bad with celebrities. I'm so bad with names. You'd never want me on your trivia team. But basically the way it works is like someone came in and was like, Hey, do you want to interview this stuff, and I almost jumped out of my skin for the person that we have on today's show.
Speaker 2: So Alex off the chair, Well he's twenty four. I centinly didn't do that. Alex Warren.
Speaker 1: He is an incredible musician. If you guys have not been following along with him, you absolutely will.
Speaker 2: Know his songs Ordinary.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll just play it for you so that Britt doesn't make everyone turn the radios off, but ordinary have a listened to this also his amazing song carry You Home. The reason why I came across him was because my daughter, Molly May, came home from school one day. She is five, mind you, and she said, Mummy, I heard the song that I want to play at my wedding today and it was carry You Home. He's just amazing, but truly, the thing about him, his story, how he became successful and going from what he experienced in his childhood and his early twenties to where he is now.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. Guys, I love that you were like.
Speaker 4: The way that I stumbled across him was my five year old daughter. I stumbled across him from the three hundred million downloads he's had from his song, but he's brilliant and that is coming up, so you're going to want to stick around now.
Speaker 1: I am so excited to introduce you guys to the guests that we have on today's show. Alex Warren. He's one of the biggest singer songwriters at the moment that is absolutely blowing up across TikTok.
Speaker 2: But also he has ed Sharon.
Speaker 1: He's our number one most played song here at the station currently. You guys would know this song absolutely. It is ordinary, this song right here. He's also known for other incredible hits like Carry You Home. We has had over three hundred and forty five points ever million streams so far. But the thing that I am so excited to be able to talk to him today about and also to share with you guys is his incredible story of how Alex has come from being He was kicked out of home, he lost his dad when he was a teenager. His mum also passed away and he lived in a car and he has gone from being a homeless orphan to being one of the most incredible artists of our time.
Speaker 2: It's really cool too, and I love to see it.
Speaker 4: His now wife moved in with him when he was living in a car, and I think it's really cool. It's like you loved me when I had nothing idea and she's come along that whole journey with him to absolute superstar status.
Speaker 2: So I'm so excited to talk to him today. Alex, welcome to the pick up.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: We absolutely cannot wait for you to visit Australia in August. Everyone is looking forward to it. To the fact that I think you sold out in like two minutes. You need to start playing some bigger venues, let me tell you that much.
Speaker 2: But you've gone from living in.
Speaker 4: Your car to absolute superstar. How has that lived up to your expectations? Because you do hear a lot of people say like they finally make the top, or they reached what they thought was going to bring them happiness, and it hasn't fulfilled what they thought.
Speaker 2: What's been your experience, It's.
Speaker 3: Been really cool.
Speaker 5: Honestly, it's been absolutely a blessing and I think it's you know, I've been meeting a lot of cool people this last few weeks and I've had a lot inchby moments, So it's something where I've always dreamed of this, and it's everything I thought it would be, Alex.
Speaker 1: I've been following you on TikTok for quite a while, and like second to your incredible music, is also following along your beautiful relationship with your wife. Firstly, can you just say her full name for anyone who hasn't heard you say it before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my wife's still name is Cobra, Holy Bomak, Michlanio and Elko, Glani, Nznan and Hughes.
Speaker 1: It is the best name that has ever existed. That you've been together since you were eighteen year old high school sweethearts and now you're married. You wrote your incredible smash hit Ordinary about your wife and about the truly extraordinary relationship that you have. How has it changed as you've gone from living in a car to being ridiculously famous. How does your relationship change over those years.
Speaker 5: It's so funny. I don't think it's changed that much, honestly. You know, we just love to watch Great's Anatomy and hang out with our dogs at home, and it's just now we do it on the road. I think relationship wise, I'm always striving to be a better husband, try to take around more dates, and it's slowly becoming a thing where it's so difficult to find time, but yeah, you know, I try to mix it in. But other than that, it's been really cool. Honestly, she comes with me everywhere we go, so it's it's it's like we're traveling the.
Speaker 3: World to go. How did you feel?
Speaker 4: Because I did see that your wife didn't actually know the lyrics to the song.
Speaker 2: You wrote about her, what was sexy?
Speaker 4: Did she tell us what the actual lyric was and what she thought you were saying?
Speaker 3: All right, so she thought it was all my life.
Speaker 1: I'll do you like, I'll do it like, I'll get down and dirty.
Speaker 3: Right right, and it's all my life. How do you? So? Like, how do you?
Speaker 5: Because it goes into the next phrase, take my breath away, So it's supposed to be how do you take my breath away?
Speaker 3: It's like a sentence, but instead it's all my life. I'll do you as I'm.
Speaker 4: Like to be fair work because the first one is still a commitment, like you're still committing to long term sexy.
Speaker 2: Time, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Is the first one your mom has to listen to. Kova's Mom's got to hear those lyrics, And the second one sounds a bit more romance.
Speaker 3: Thankfully mine's dead so she doesn't have to listen.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Actually, do you know what? I do want to ask you about a lyric that you wrote. I might butcher it a little bit because I'm going from memory, but you wrote something in one of your songs about it being your mom's first time on earth as well, and I really resonated because I think sometimes as parents and as kids, we can hold so much resentment for our parents, and there was something incredibly beautiful in those lyrics. Why was that such an important thing to write for you?
Speaker 5: Well, I think growing up, I grew up in a broken home. My dad passed away and my mom ended up drinking herself to death. And I think with that, you know, I didn't I didn't have a mom, and I held so much on her. I kind of was like, you know, like, you're supposed to be my mom, supposed to my role model. Instead you're getting drunk and falling in a safe way.
Speaker 3: And that was something for.
Speaker 5: Me, whereas like Travis drunk, you do all these thanks and I always judged her for it. But now that I'm you know, twenty four, and I'm looking at having kids soon. It's something where I realized I'm so over in over my head and I have every resource possible, and I can't imagine losing my husband and having to raise four kids by myself. Yeah, and I can't imagine of stress she was under. And I think that's something really important and why I kind of wrote that song. It's like, you know, as I'm an adult and I'm getting closer to that, I've realized that, you know, it was your first time on Earth two and I'm judging you for the decisions you made without being in your situation.
Speaker 1: Why was it so important to you to share those really personal moments in your songwriting and how has that helped you build your audience.
Speaker 3: So I've had a lot of healing.
Speaker 5: I still have moments where I break down crime like that's the thing, And a lot of people kind of asked me if it gets better, and it's a hard question to answer, but I think with everything that I've done and everything I've worked on and the songs that I write, it kind of gives me perspective.
Speaker 3: But also you can see the growth from the first song to where I am today. And it's cool hearing.
Speaker 5: People say that my songs have helped them, but I feel like they fail to see how the songs.
Speaker 3: Have helped me. And also this experience has helped me.
Speaker 5: And it's such a mind boggling thing to get behind that I started with this writing songs about my parents, and now I write love songs and whatnot. And it's cool that you know, there's people who love ordinary, there's people who love sav U a Seat, which is a song about my wedding, but it's the I wrote two songs for my wedding, a song that's a love song and a song that's mourning the loss of my parents, and so many people relate with both of them, and I think that's really powerful.
Speaker 4: I think that's why you have come up in such a unique new artist, because you have the most incredible voice. But it's just not that it's the way you relate to people as well. And I see so many people at your concerts with signs that are like hashtag dead Mum's Club, like dead Parents Club. There's so many people that are and it's crazy because it links back into your black humor. But I think that that's why so many people relate to you, because not only are they obsessed with your music, but they're obsessed with you and your story. Were you surprised with how many fans you had down here in Australia?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was in mind bogged.
Speaker 5: I couldn't tell you if you saw we were trying to fill up a thousand cap rooms. Yeah, and now we've gone onto arenas and it's insane and it's also terrifying.
Speaker 1: Dude, let me tell you my I mean, you have no idea the range of your audience and your fan base, Like we've been in your orbit for a long time.
Speaker 2: But my five year old Marley.
Speaker 1: Is obsessed with you, like to a point where I was like, how did this?
Speaker 5: Even?
Speaker 1: So she came on one day from school and she was like, Mommy, I heard the song that I want to play at my wedding and it was carry You Home, and.
Speaker 2: We put it on in the car and she is five years old.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, well, there's probably some therapy we need to go through for that as well. But it's amazing and honestly, you guys sold out in thirty seconds. Definitely need some arenas next time, not pavilions.
Speaker 4: What I will say, Alex is I know people think that we work in radio and we get access to tickets. We were two people that missed out on the tickets. So if you know anyone that can slide us in a ticket, we'd love to come and see you while you're here.
Speaker 2: I'll make it before we let you go. Who's your dream collab? You get to perform with anyone? Who is it?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Miley Cyrus on the girlfront and on the Guy Friend's got to be.
Speaker 3: At I love it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing, two very tall ginger men together. It's what we want to see in the world. There we go, Alex, It's an absolute dream. Good luck with the tour. We're so stoked to have you on show. Ordinary is such an incredible song. We can't wait to see you and to hear from you again.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, guys letter Alie Alex.
Speaker 2: So British pop sensation Ollie Murs.
Speaker 4: We all know him. He goes viral many many times for his songs, but he's gone viral for the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: What are you about to say?
Speaker 1: Okay, because we were just talking about it with Alice Warren, who was on and how I don't know anyone and I can handle my heart say I've never heard of this guy hell sing a song.
Speaker 2: I'll know his song. I don't sing anything, all right. Well that's here's one.
Speaker 1: You know that Like, Yeah, couldn't spot him there in a crowd, wouldn't have been able to pin him down.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's hope he's not listening to this, Laura. Wow, we're trying to get superstars.
Speaker 4: On the show when you're just cutting them off before they even get hit. Okay, Well, here's something that is not relatable. He's gone viral at the moment for posting a body transformation. So over a twelve week period, he did like a before and after just for himself, Like he's gone on his own health kick to become healthy inside, to feel better for whatever, like a whole bunch of personal reasons.
Speaker 1: I do like that you say this, he's just done it for himself to post on social media for really his followers.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's motivating, it's for him whatever. He the first photo because there's two photos side beside the first photo.
Speaker 2: When people are saying, and I don't really like this term, but.
Speaker 4: They've said dad bod right, that is just because he's not shredded. He looks like a very normal man. He looks great, but in the photo after it is giving two percent body fat.
Speaker 2: There is a twelve pack like the guy is absolutely shredded.
Speaker 1: It's giving you know when you see people go and do like those bodybuilder poses on stage in their bikinis. He's given that vibes in the second shot, but he still looks very good in the first one.
Speaker 4: He looks great in both. So somebody has gone and put a pole up. They've taken his photos and they've put up Do you think Ollie looks better before or after? They put both photos up and you can choose male before male after, female before female after. Now this has been seen like eighty six million times. It's caused a bit of a stir on a should we be commenting on people's bodies online? We already know the answer, right, but b there's become a bit of an argument off the back of it between men and women.
Speaker 2: And it's a male that has.
Speaker 4: Started the pole because more men are saying he looks better after like wear he shredded and fit, and more women are saying they thought he looked better before. With the quote unquote dad bod like before he could grate a carrot on his abs.
Speaker 1: I am not surprised by this because I think that we have very different perceptions around what it is that as women we find desirable in other women's bodies and what it is that men find desirable and vice versa. I think that we find specific things desirable, and I'm talking stereotypes, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking broad spectrum here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there are things that we as women find hot in a man. And it's not always you're like chiseled abs and you're like oily body and everything else.
Speaker 2: I think body true.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about men on the beach with chiseled abs and covered in baby oil. Don't that seat Not one person was aroused because there was a single one. No one does that, but they would be They would fortunate, totally okay.
Speaker 2: But the thing is is, I'm very fortunate.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to say anything negative about abs because my husband, Maddy Jay, he does have a good set of them and.
Speaker 2: He's very into his fitness.
Speaker 1: But I have in the past been equally as attracted to people who would you'd say, had dad bods, because I kind of up until meeting my husband, I would have attributed someone who'd spent that much time on their body and looking a certain way as potentially being arrogant, or I would have made assumptions about their personality because of the way that they looked, which I'm not saying is fair. But I think, you know, even with women like we, a lot of I'm sure so many of us have been through the want to be thinner or fit into a certain size, and often we're doing that for ourselves or we're doing that to appease other women. But you know, the men that we might be dating don't necessarily want stick skinny little girls, you know, like they want girls that have curves. I think the perception around it is quite different to what we believe, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: All right, back to Ollie.
Speaker 4: The common misconception is that he's ten times healthier in the second photo where he's ripped, But it's actually quite known that like one hund two percent of men in the world can look like this. To look like you have abs and muscles and nobody fat to this level means.
Speaker 2: You are really really strict on your calorie deficit.
Speaker 4: You're probably not sleeping well like this takes a lot of hard work, and it doesn't always necessarily correlate to being healthier. That is one thing like that is one thing I absolutely want to say. But it's interesting because even after the poll happened, the guy that started the poll, he said, why are women lying about this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What is your actual cause?
Speaker 4: And it blows my mind because I had this conversation with someone the other day literally this. I said, you'd be shocked if you actually knew what women like like. What men think women like isn't what women like, and I think that's vice versa. But Ollie came out he said, I wouldn't normally comment on stuff like this, but from what I've seen, I just want to say that the journey at the start of this year was for many personal reasons, and not one of them was to spark a debate and divide opinions. So it's very disappointing to see this kind of reporting.
Speaker 1: I think that the big take home from this is that what most people look for in a partner is someone who's not so personally self obsessed that their looks is the most important thing to them. And so like, maybe you are that two percent of people that's really lucky that you don't have to put a lot of energy into working out to have an incredibly fit body good for you. That's not really the case for the rest of the population. And I genuinely think like the things that a lot of men or good guys find attractive in women is not how skinny you can be or how big your boobs are, and vice versa. The things that women like in men for heterosexual relationships as not how big your apps are.
Speaker 4: Totally, and if there's a takeaway message from today, any of the men in the car, they'll listen right now, embrace the dad pod, just relax, just just chill out, because we genuinely don't.
Speaker 2: Care that much. Yeah, i'd agree. Well, guys, that's it from us today,