Speaker 1: I have not mastered how to portion out my energy in anything that looks like an even way.
Speaker 2: Every year, Holly Wainwright tells herself she won't burn out again, and every year she does. When Holly told me that, I laughed, not because it's funny, but because I've been there too. Last year, I hit my own wall of absolute exhaustion so hard that it became the inspiration for my next book. In this bonus episode, Holly and I talk honestly about the cycles that we fall into, the doing, the crashing, the promising it's going to be different next time, and why breaking that loop is so much harder than it sounds. Holly, who is a best selling author and co hosts Mama Mia out Loud, shares how she's still learning to protect her time, her focus, and her health even when life and work don't make it easy. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies.
Speaker 3: For optimizing your date.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber. Something that you've written about over the years is burnout and exhaustion, and it's something that I really related to, particularly last year. I've spoken and written quite a lot around how twenty twenty four was just a year of complete and out of burnout for me like I've never ever experienced. And that's really what prompted book number five, which is the working title, which maybe the real title is the Energy Game, and it's about how to get more of it. I would love to know for you, where are you at right now in terms of your energy.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: Need a therapy session with you at manth on this because this is something I have not solved. Almost every year I say I'm not gonna get myself to that place again. And I've made a lot of I have made a lot of changes in my working life over the past few years in terms of I used to manage teams of people. I used to be much more corporately involved in Mamma Mia. I used to have a million meetings a day and constantly be running to someone else's schedule, and that has shifted over the past few years. Now my work is mostly content focused, so obviously I record Mamma Mia out loud, and I write things and do things for Mamma Mea, but I try. I've reorganized my life and my time to be more portioned out and my dream has always been to be in charge of my own time. And I'm not there yet, but one day I will be. I'm much I'm certainly much closer to it than I was, but burnout and energy, I'm still not great at So my word of this year was not because the idea was.
Speaker 3: And I always roll.
Speaker 1: My as a tiny bit when successful people say you've got to learn to say no to things, because it's a position of amazing privilege to be in to be asked for things all the time, right, It's a position of amazing privilege to be like, no, I don't want to go to your event, I don't want to do your you know, speak at your thing like I mean, these are all really champagne problems. The question I always ask myself is am I putting my energy in the right place? Or am I just running for the sake of that? As I talk to you now, I've just come off being really sick. I had influenza A and I was absolutely smashed for three weeks, pretty much like I had to spend a whole week in bed. I lost my voice completely for almost ten days. I got completely gone, and it took me a long time to recover. Now, influenza A is going around this winter, and it is a nasty strain. And I'm not going to like pretend that I got that because of this or because of that. But what's funny is that the people in my life, including my partner Brent.
Speaker 3: He's just like, this happens to you. He's like, you don't get sick because I was.
Speaker 1: Really what I was really worried about is early this year, when the book came out, I was on tour with Mama mir out loud. It was the busiest time I can remember for a very long time. I was doing big live shows, lots of book promotion, appearances at Riders festivals, on planes, off planes, da da da da da. And I was obsessed with not getting sick, obsessed sleep, no drinking, healthy food, a million armor forced tablets, like just whatever. And I did not get sick, Amantha, I did not. I was very proud of myself. But then come this August, I just almost September. Really, I absolutely smashed for three weeks and.
Speaker 3: Says, this always happens to you.
Speaker 1: Says you never get sick a little bit, you don't get sick at all, or you get completely stuck to the bed sick, and there's me. I'm god, that's not true, that's not true.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about. I'm never sick.
Speaker 1: And then I saw another old friend and she was like, this always happens to you. She says, you you're doing a million things and then you just collapse.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, it's not true. Maybe it's true.
Speaker 1: So I've just I'm rebuilding after this sickness, and you know how you do this when you're coming off something like that.
Speaker 3: I've got to change everything.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're like that too, but I'm like, I've got to change everything. I've got a very busy October with lots of events too, and lots of travel. I need to make sure I'm portioning out my energy. I've been a bit disorganized, as you know, because I was meant to talk to you last week and I managed to forget all about it. So I'm on that train at the minute of trying to hold on to it again. So I guess this is a very long way of saying to you, I have not mastered how to portion out my energy in anything that looks like an even way, and I still haven't figured out what you really need to write a book because you would know even though this is this will be my sixth time, the book I'm writing now is some uninterrupted focused time. I don't mean for days and days, but place where you can let your head just go, let have some space to think.
Speaker 3: I am still really bad at it.
Speaker 1: I haven't figured it out, and I would like some advice. How do I stop myself from crashing?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I would love to know, like, what are some of the changes that you've made over the last few years that have made a difference, because it sounds like the Holly now is in a better place than say, Holly three years ago.
Speaker 3: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 1: That's definitely true. What I try and do now is practically because I lived two hours away from Sydney, which is where the Mom and Mere studios are, and now obviously we record all our podcasts for video and everything, so being in studio is very important. I've kind of portioned up my week like practically in terms of, well, this part of the week is this focus, and this part of the week.
Speaker 3: Is that focus.
Speaker 1: Now that generally runs okay until it doesn't. You know how, It's inevitable that things will pop up that are on different days in different places. But it also means that I'm away from the family generally at the beginning of the week, which can be quite guilt inducing. But I've just Brent and I and the kids have discussed this a lot, is that it's actually just better for me to do that, to go, you know, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I'm often in the city. It's very intensive work time. I will work at night, I will get everything, a lot of things done, so that then later in the week when I'm home, i'm home, you know, I'm more present and I can be in charge of my call and take the kids to this or that, you know, that kind of thing, cooked dinner, all those things that I couldn't, to be honest, necessarily do when we were all living in the city. But I was on a much more nine to five schedule that generally works having that kind of focus. I'm trying to be much kinder to myself about that too, in terms of I know it's a bit unconventional, it's not what everybody would do, but it works for the moment. I also, in terms of my creative time, what works for me, which isn't very creative at all, is I have to schedule it. Say it's a Friday and I'm writing, and this is what happened to us last week. I have to put certain things in place to try and make my focus be on my creative work, which include devices in the house no Internet, because I'm as susceptible to it as anybody to be immediately distracted by social media notifications, all those things. You know, I forced myself to go, right, this is an hour where it's just me and the laptop, and the laptop that doesn't have all my connections on it.
Speaker 3: And that's what happened to us last week.
Speaker 1: When I was meant to talk to you, I'd forgotten, and then I wasn't at my calendar all my anyway, so.
Speaker 3: I tried to put Holly.
Speaker 2: I got to say, I actually find that quite impressive that you are able to just unplug, because I think a lot of people talk about it, but you had literally just unplugged last Friday, like there was no way I could have contacted you, and you are obviously very in the zone, which I actually think is quite admirable. I've in the fact that I wanted to speak to you last week, but I was actually quite impressed as well.
Speaker 1: Well, it's if you'd have had my phone number, you could have got me, because I do still I would see text messages if they popped up from on my watch. Unfortunately, however, I have to do it partly for my other professional work, for my mum and mere work. I can justify the fact that being on social media, being across everything that's happening, being connected is work, and it is in a way. But what I've learned is that I can schedule that check in time I have to, because otherwise I will be sitting at my laptop trying to get through a difficult part of a book, because writing is a lot of problem solving, and as we all know, when you come up against something that's tricky and difficult, I immediately reach for the distraction. And if the distraction is to hand, and it's Instagram on my browser or you know, news headline on my phone, I'll lose myself in that, and then that'll be an hour gone, and then I'll feel kind of grubby about that. I'll get to the end of the day and I won't have made any progress. And it's not to say I can't very easily procrastinate without a screen because I can, Like.
Speaker 3: I'll be like, oh that shelf needs cleaning.
Speaker 1: Oh the flowers outside my shed, like they really need But I do I have to go on Fridays in particular, I'd say to the muma mea team who if they do need me for anything, text me. I'm not checking my slack, I'm not looking at my you know, I'm just not because otherwise I just won't get it done. My focus is terrible. I know I'm not alone in this. I know it's a massive topic of conversation for you, and I do genuinely believe and again not an original thought, that our phones have killed our focus. So yeah, so I do have to unplug. And then the other thing I do is I give myself little rewards. So as lots of people know, I love my garden, my veggie beds have become my complete opposite. So if I'm at home and i'm writing, I'll be like, if i get this number of words done, or I've done two hours, I'm allowed to go and fiddle around in my worm farm for a while, or go and steak my tomatoes or whatever it is, Like, I'm allowed to do that. But if I haven't, then I'm not like I'm not allowed, you know, So I have to kind of gain a fire to a point.
Speaker 2: I love that worm farms a reward for you. For me, that would be punishment.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Burnout doesn't always look like falling apart. Sometimes it's just saying yes over and over until you realize there's nothing left in the tank. Coming up, Holly talks about her year of NAP and the ways she's trying and sometimes failing to put her energy where it matters most. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com. Coming back to your word of the year, nup, Where did that go wrong? Like have you found yourself saying yes instead of no? Or like what has happened there?
Speaker 1: So the idea about nupp was about this thing about putting your energy, which is sounds very much where your book is. You're putting your energy on the things that matter, you know. So there are things for my work, my career, whatever it is, that are very important and will move things forward, and that's worthy of energy, right. But then there's a whole lot of stuff that's just nice to have, nice to do, or someone else wants you to do it more than you want to do it, that you can say yes to, and suddenly your calendar fills with things that are taking you, in my case, literally taking me away from my family that are really not that important, right, I mean, well, important is the wrong word, not that crucial to the main aim. So the idea of KNAP was to say no, but with lightness, like I don't want to be you know I again, as I say, I recognize the privileged position to be in somewhere where somebody wants you to do something. So I don't want to be like no, everything's no. It's just more like.
Speaker 3: No, that's not for me this week.
Speaker 1: Where has fallen down is that there are lots of things that I want I like doing, you know, like so for example, and this is not in any if I get asked to go and interview somebody exciting, but it's going to take me away from home for a couple of days, and it's going to take me away from the book for a couple of days and it's not going to pay particularly well or it's not gonna Like in the theory of NUP, I should say no. But in the theory of Holly who likes to do fun stuff, and also I would say yes. So I still find myself looking at the month of October, for example, looking at the calendar across the month of October and being like, whoa, I did not say no to anything, and I'm barely here.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot.
Speaker 1: It'll all be fun and it'll all be great, But is it really true to the mission of Nope.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: But I'm also trying to be kind to myself, and I'd love to know what you think about this is that some months are just like that, right, So what I'm trying to do instead, because what I'll do is I'll look at the calendar for here for the next month, and it's crazy, and I'll be.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, Holly, you're an idiot. Why did you do that? Why did you say yes, it's going to be this, it's going to be that. And instead I just need.
Speaker 1: To go that's October, Like November will be great and I'll be back with the family and it'll be fine. I don't know what's your advice.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that one of my favorite strategies for people that think that they should say no more but they're overloaded and they want to be generous and they want to do fun things is a strategy and I heard it on How I Work many years ago.
Speaker 3: It's the yes but strategy.
Speaker 2: And so when you're asked to do something, you say yes because it sounds like you want to say yes because you're getting a lot of fun things presented to you. But then the butt is the boundary. So it might be yes, I can do an in conversation live with you, but it has to be on a Tuesday night when I'm going to be in Sydney anyway.
Speaker 3: Or yes, I can.
Speaker 2: Help brainstorm this project or this new podcast idea that you've got, you know person at Muma Mea, But I've only got twenty minutes and it has to be at this time, and so it's yes, but boundary. So I would love for you to try that maybe during October that we're heading into and see if that can create a less chaotic November for you.
Speaker 3: Can you do that and report back to me, Holly, I will.
Speaker 1: I will, because that's great, because I think that that's exactly it is. That it's not about this hard like I just don't do things. It's about I will do that, but it has to fit in with the master plan, whatever the master plan is, which is to protect the part of my life life that is about my family and my creative work. Because and I think that for a lot of and I might be generalizing here, for a lot of women, there's a guilt about the fact that somehow often the most important things to me are the ones that slide to the bottom of the priority list. Like if I really think about it, you know, obviously being home for the kids, you know, and being able to do that, Like, that's incredibly important to me, but somehow it very often gets deprioritized. And you know, the book, Like having the space to write books and do them really well is incredibly important to me. And yet it's often that kind of work that gets shoved in little corners around lots of other busy things that aren't as important. Yeah, So I think that the kind of plan about not was in was the spirit of it is about that, about the things that actually really matter. Why are they always the things that somehow are being shoved around the things that don't matter so much. Of course, my core mom and Mia work of Mama Mia out loud and mid and that is incredibly important, But there's just a lot of other stuff, you know, and so it's about trying to be very clear about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me give you one other tip, because I'm curious, like, have you ever said yes to something where you've just completely regretted it and in the moment you're just thinking, yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I think that we all have. I definitely have. And so something else and I'm writing about this in the book is the idea of a never again list, And for me, one of the things so I do a lot of keynote speaking. I get asked a little a lot of speaking, and somewhat not super regularly, but it happens enough that I will get asked to speak at a dinner event. And in my lifetime I've spoken at a handful of these, and every single one of them, I think bar one has just been. I've left the event and I thought why, Like my content is around self optimization. People are drunk. No one wants to hear about how to be a better person when they are drunk and they're just wondering is chocolate on the dessert menu? But I keep saying yes because I think, oh, this one will be different.
Speaker 3: And then I thought, I need to do.
Speaker 2: Something different here. I am going to start a never again list, and top of my list is never again will I speak at a dinner event, because I know they lead to disaster. And by having a list and by putting things like that on it, it just removes the decision making load because you know, if a bureau or someone reaches out and said, hey, can you speak it that dinner event, I don't need to think about it. I don't need to agonize, I don't need to wonder like, will this one be different? Well no, I will never find out because never again will I speak at a dinner So I wonder if that might be something else for you to try as well.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: I've literally just written these things all yes, but boundary and never again.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny because in my office, my little shed, which is my happy place, I have post it notes around my desk that are like because one of the things about that I know about myself is I hate feeling fenced in, and so one of the post it notes above My best says, you don't have to. It's like, it sounds so silly, but that's a reminder to me that when I start, as I say, looking at the calendar or whatever it is and getting all like upset, like, oh, I'm sure, like you didn't have to do that. You can choose to change things that even just the idea of that calms me down.
Speaker 3: You don't have to.
Speaker 1: So I think these post its are going to go on the collection of post its around the window.
Speaker 2: Oh holy, I feel like I can just talk to you for hours, but I need to let you go and you need to write book number six.
Speaker 1: So I know your new book is about energy, but people keep it quote this is hilarious that this is my reference, but people keep quoting, you know. Taylor Swift said in her recent one of her recent interviews, treat your energy like it's expensive, and lots of people have started saying that, and I'm like, I'm not sure I know what that means, but maybe this is kind of what it means, like don't just spend it. But the idea of the Year of Nap was a bit that is like, yeah, so anyway, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Make it the quarter of nap, Holly, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so much for your time. Holly.
Speaker 1: Thank you, it's always such a joy to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Amantha.
Speaker 2: Here is the thing about burnout. It often sneaks up quietly. It all looks fine until you are flat on your back wondering how you missed the signs.
Speaker 3: What I loved.
Speaker 2: About this chat with Holly is her honesty and that reminder that rebuilding your energy isn't a one off fix. It's a constant recalibration. So the next time you find yourself running on empty, try asking what am I saying? Two that's actually draining me? And if this episode resonated, you might want to go back and listen to the main conversation I had with Holly on jealousy and ambition. And if you haven't yet followed How I Work, please do so hit that follow button so you'll never miss a new episode. If you like today's Joe, make sure you hit follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes dropped. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery People, part of the Cooler Nation