Speaker 1: Are you ready? Good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn. Crady, your worth, our windows done?
Speaker 2: If my worries in the dust, only good, babug all down.
Speaker 3: I don't much, but yeah I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'll big get and what I want.
Speaker 3: It don't matter where.
Speaker 2: This is the pickup, Hi, guys, it's the pickup with Brit Huckley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 1: Happy Wednesday, Laura, you're not.
Speaker 3: Feeling too crappy. I am on the hump.
Speaker 2: Well well no, masters back hump day coming down the other side.
Speaker 3: No, because if you bear dromantics at home.
Speaker 2: I know I'm very happy to have him home, but unfortunately that has not been happening in our household.
Speaker 1: So I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: But if you fly back home from South Africa to Australia, it is like the one place where you get the worst jet lag. I can't sleep at nighttime. I'm sleeping all afternoon. My kids are awake at ten pm, midnight, one o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: You did say loss the plot.
Speaker 4: No, you said you vomited today. I don't think it's jet lag. I think you've got a South African stomach bug. I've got malaria. Everybody.
Speaker 3: No, genuinely.
Speaker 4: I mean I've had a lot of jet lag in my life and I don't wake up vomiting.
Speaker 2: No, that's true. I think the vomit bug has like hit me for something else. But it has been a wild few days. I'm hanging on by a thread.
Speaker 4: I did have a mind a panic attack this morning when Laura messaged and she's like, Hey, I'm really unwell, like I'm vomiting and stuff in my head. I was like, oh my god, am I gonna have to talk to myself for an hour on radio?
Speaker 1: I was like, am I gonna have a one way conversation?
Speaker 3: Welcome back. It's the Britt Hockey Show. We do have a very big show for you. Now.
Speaker 2: You guys might have seen on I'm a Celebrity recently Reggie Bird. She's one big Brother twice and she is an absolute national treasure. We're going to have her on the show shortly to talk to her. Now, you guys are very well aware that I was a big fan if I'm a celebrity this year. I watched every episode this well, particularly I was on it last year.
Speaker 1: Were you're not a fan last year? That's true, you didn't even watch it last year.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 3: I was a fan last year.
Speaker 2: I'm particularly a fan this year because my husband Mattie Jay was on the show. But we did meet another celebrity again, Reggie Bird. Now Reggie Bird, she was the winner of Big Brother. She's won two separate seasons and I honestly felt, and I think most of Australia did, that she was just such a standout in this season of I'm a celeb and Reggie herself that she's vision impaired and she is going blind, but she really rewrote what it means to have a disability and to be able to show up and still do everything that every other person was able to do in that campsite, and it was so inspirational. I loved every moment that she was on the screen, and we have her on the show. Reggie, welcome to the pickup.
Speaker 6: Oh thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Guys, how are you feeling now that you're at home and you're back to normal life? Are you missing the jungle or are you happy to be out of that hell hole?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Look, it is good to be back in your comfort. What is it creature comforts or whatever it's called. But I am missing everyone Thoughgi.
Speaker 4: Do you think it was harder or easier than you anticipated?
Speaker 6: Easier than what I've thought, Yes, because my past experience of being on Big Brother and doing you know, I spent what three months in Big Brother and being in there for a month was a breeze for me, Reggie. But not doing those challenges though, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you looked pretty upset when you had to eat that Kale. Reggie.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to lie, but you spoke so beautifully about well about so many things actually, but one thing in particular is what you were going through with being vision impaired. And I don't want to say it wrong, but is it retinitis pigments? Is that the retais pigmentosa pigmentosa? And can you describe to us, like what does that mean in terms of what's happening with your vision? Because you can still see a little bit, but you can't see as well as what you were able to.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: So, because I've just got nine degrees of pinhole vision and I explained to people it's just like looking through a straw.
Speaker 4: Is that going to stay like that going to deteriorate completely?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So they said to me, you've got a fifteen year time frame before you'll totally lose all your side. So I'm just very thankful that of what I've got left. That's why I just make the most of everything in life, because one day I am going to wake up and never ever see anything ever again.
Speaker 2: You were such an inspiration on the show, and I think, I mean, I can only imagine the questions you would have had about going in there and doing that show. Like everybody has reservations about doing it, but going in and doing that show without being able to see there must have been an additional pressure or fear factor there for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well I was shit scared anyway going in, especially you know, because I'm petrified of everything, you know, especially the height, spiders, bags, snakes. I only have one really good night sleeping there, because every night I'd sit there just worrying about a spider or some I'm all coming to get me because I can't see the dak at all, Like I've got no night vision at all.
Speaker 2: You had a really beautiful conversation with Matt at one point in the show, and he asked you what it was if you're going to miss the most when you when you lose your vision and you said it was seeing your kids, and I think every single parent.
Speaker 1: I'm not even a parent, and I upsets me.
Speaker 2: It's just I mean, how do your kids, I mean they understand what's happening. Obviously me is a little bit older, but how do they respond to this?
Speaker 6: Yeah, look to them as they've got older. That helped me a lot, and I guess that's all they've ever known with me. So yeah, I'm going to miss their faces for sure when I lose my sight. Yeah, that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 4: People really have no excuse to complain about that jungle again if.
Speaker 3: You have got in there.
Speaker 1: I mean like when I was in there, the people complaining left, right and center.
Speaker 4: Oh, we didn't get any mengo tonight, we didn't get avocado.
Speaker 2: And the worst thing is Reggie didn't koo for a whole week. I got in there and she was like, I'll I gone to the toilet over a week, But like you to.
Speaker 4: Go and navigate that the way you have, Reggie, It's like you've just won over so many hearts in Australia.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 4: I hope you know that by now, but you really have.
Speaker 6: Oh I thank you. Yeah, today it's the first day I've actually got on and looked at my social media, so oh man, there's some horrible comments as well out there. I'm just like wow, especially about my eyesight, because you know a lot of people saying she's faking ith right, she's in there for sympathy, you know, it's just fall on and I just thinking, Wow, there's so many people just are so quick to judge, and if they spend to day in my shoes, they would understand how I get about Reggie.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry that you have to put up with that type of commentary because all it really shows is that there is such a lack of understanding around what constitutes blindness, and people think it's black or white.
Speaker 3: You can see all you can't see. Nah, we're being too lean on them.
Speaker 4: There just trolls their bully. There's not the lack of education about what happens with blindness.
Speaker 3: That's not it at all.
Speaker 4: All I can say to you, Reggie is someone that has been in that reality world many many times. You will hold on to the negative things that people write to you, but try to ignore it and look at how much support and love and all the beautiful comments you've got. Because the negative comments stand out, but I would hate for you to go through this experience and you listen to these keyboard warriors like please don't yeah, weird, do all you?
Speaker 3: Reggie?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, my sisters, she can't stop reading.
Speaker 2: It as right, She's right, Reggie. We absolutely adore you. Congratulations on everything and for coming so incredibly close to getting the crown.
Speaker 3: We're just so sooked.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: Now, Laura, I know you usually every single year are so up to date on Maths.
Speaker 3: You are sick for it.
Speaker 1: I am getting up to date now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've missed a few episodes, but now I'm like I'm in there.
Speaker 4: Every year you think that the show can't be more rogue, or go more wild, or be more dramatic or more con traversial, and every year they never cease to surprise us.
Speaker 3: It gets worse.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a bit of a like mass Maths mutiny being described. I couldn't think of the word mutiny.
Speaker 4: Thanks, you're welcome back thinking of mutiny teenage mutant in journals.
Speaker 1: So there's a Maths. Thanks for telling us you're running internal monologue Britain.
Speaker 3: That was my total.
Speaker 4: There's a mass mutiny going on, and one of the contestants from last year's season, Ben Walters.
Speaker 3: If you remember, he was married.
Speaker 1: To Ellie Dix. So he's basically come out. Is that right? Why are you last funny?
Speaker 3: Last name? She's a great Dix d i X. You're so immature.
Speaker 1: She thinks it's funny because she's a lesbian.
Speaker 4: So he's basically come out, and he's sharing on TikTok.
Speaker 3: He's sharing his contracts.
Speaker 4: So you're supposed to sign your life away, but you're also not supposed to share the details around it.
Speaker 2: Well, part of the signing of the contract is that you will not talk about the signing of the contract, like the contract itself has an NDA around it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well he is giving no beeps. Have a listen.
Speaker 7: There is a Meretipase site mutiny going on right now, and to help their cause, I'm going to expose some of the juiciest parts of the metipase site contract they would have signed. These lies are my favorites to include any such information material, appearance depiction, portrayal, action or statement by the program and skipping on a point B transmit otherwise exploit the program material or advertisements containing such information, appearance, depiction, betrayal, action or statement in edited in any way, shape or form they bloody want. In other words, if it's out of context, they can snip it up for dramatic effect.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, I have conflicting feelings about this. Partly, I think it's it is unfair for a production company to completely misconstrue or completely take out of context something that you do or say. But I also think if you're signing up to a show like Maths and you're signing that contract, like you read the contract, you know that it's a possibilit that they're gonna do those things. Why is it that when they do them, you're so surprised and so angry? Like it happens every year, it's discussed every year. Shouldn't we, as contestants on these shows, take some agency that maybe the way that we're going to be portrayed is not desirable.
Speaker 3: I feel the same way.
Speaker 4: It was the same contract for us on The Bachelor, Like we signed literally almost the exact same thing, and I remember thinking like, wow, like they're gonna own.
Speaker 3: Me, they can do whatever they want with me, but they're going to destroy me.
Speaker 4: But then I remember like looking up to my imaginary future bubb when I was like, well, I'm gonna take the risk that I will fall.
Speaker 1: On the fifty percent of the good edit and not the bad edit.
Speaker 4: Like this part of you that thinks when you go into these situations that if you know you're a good person, you think that they're going to see that and they won't give you the bad edit.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't work like that.
Speaker 4: Sometimes good people get a bad edit. But at the end of the day, does this contract suck? Absolutely? Is it wrong that they can manipulate the situation?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did you read sign and agree to it?
Speaker 3: Yes? Like you did that? I mean, I know, I said.
Speaker 2: I feel fifty fifty about the contraction in itself, but also feel a bit fifty to fifty about this whole.
Speaker 1: Idea that, like, really good people can get bad edits.
Speaker 2: I think that there are enough people on these shows that are behaving pretty poorly, that have questionable behavior or say questionable things that they don't need to make really nice upstanding, Like people who don't step out of line look like assholes.
Speaker 1: I don't think they do.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do agree that it's harder to make a really good person have an.
Speaker 1: Entirely bad edit.
Speaker 4: There's obviously moments that they can make look bad. And I've seen it happen to people I know. I've seen it happen to myself. I know it can happen. But I do know a producer that has worked on Maths, and I have had conversations with them where they've said, sometimes it's infuriating because the worst person on that show, the biggest bully, gets the really good edit, and sometimes it's hard for them to sit back and.
Speaker 3: Watch when they're that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like sometimes it's like that person shouldn't have got the edit that they got. And sometimes the better people maybe they were a good person but boring or not good content. So they're like, well, what, you can't be the hero of the show because you don't give enough.
Speaker 3: So there are so.
Speaker 2: Many can we get that producer on the show? No tell us who the biggest bully was.
Speaker 3: I can tell you off air.
Speaker 1: I think you already know. The other day, I've been meaning to tell you this story.
Speaker 3: I know, I have been waiting with baited breath. You're like, oh wait till I tell you.
Speaker 1: I'm worried because it's actually not that good.
Speaker 3: But I've really built it up so ran.
Speaker 1: This is the best story to ever land on the pick up.
Speaker 2: It's not, but it did get me into so much trouble. So last week you left after work and like we all said, goodbye, kiss, kiss, kiss, lovely day, enjoy everyone, have a great weekend as we kiss goodbye every day and always hug, and you left. You were out of here, and I walked out, but I realized I'd forgotten something that I needed. I'd forgotten my handbag, and like we something that I needed is in like I forgot that letter I needed to post your entire handbag. That does not surprise you about me, does it. The thing is so like we obviously finish at four o'clock.
Speaker 4: My shoes I was halfway to the cars and my pants went on.
Speaker 2: So we finish at four o'clock, which means, like most other people in the building are still working right like you know, people are having meetings and whatnot, and we work in a very busy, very tall building.
Speaker 1: There are many offices in this building, seventeen floors, yes, seventeen floors.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I was like, oh my god, my handbag, I need that. So I tried to get back into the studio, but you know.
Speaker 1: I also don't have a fob.
Speaker 3: You always lose your.
Speaker 2: Key to get in y so we have these little security tags that you buzz to get back into the studios.
Speaker 1: Fob was right, Yes, I don't have one. You had one.
Speaker 2: Three days I went to the front desk and there was no one at the front desk, and I was like, how am I going to get around these caves.
Speaker 3: Where this is gone?
Speaker 2: So the woman at the front desk always just presses a button and the door opens for me.
Speaker 1: So I was like, how hard can it possibly be?
Speaker 3: Magic?
Speaker 2: So I a button. Nothing happened, So I pressed it again. Nothing happened.
Speaker 3: So I pressed another button.
Speaker 2: Nothing happened, and then out comes running, out comes running one.
Speaker 1: Of our bosses, and he's like, who's in duress?
Speaker 3: And I was like what?
Speaker 2: And then I realized that I had set off the duress button across the entire building.
Speaker 3: And everyone was running around.
Speaker 2: I'm talking like every single radio network, the duress button's going off, every single floor, the duress button's going on.
Speaker 1: I just need my hand Baddy, like I'm having a problem.
Speaker 3: Woke up on my head, but.
Speaker 2: I'm in dressed because my pants are still inside the problem is though, the woman who works at the front desk has never ever had to press the gyress button, so she didn't know where the key.
Speaker 3: Was to stop it.
Speaker 2: So the duress button went on, and it went on, and then people arrived to try and save me. And so I was down here collecting my handbag and our bosses came down and was like, you.
Speaker 3: Pressed that button?
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 1: Tony?
Speaker 2: I got in big trouble and I had to beg for forgiveness.
Speaker 4: That is actually so much funny, Yes, producing grace, I.
Speaker 5: Was saying, I got an email from someone in HR THOUGH about this.
Speaker 3: What do they say?
Speaker 5: And they were like, you know what is a beautiful silver lining of this. We've done drills. We've had people like go, hey, I'm pressing the duress button. Here's how you have to respond. We've never had an idiot press it for air. But they got to see that everyone actually actually know they don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: No, would you want person in this building?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: Well, now they do, so that's good.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: I'd be concerned that the only person that came to save me from in dress was that.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, sorry, is there someone more equipped?
Speaker 4: Like not that I don't want your help, but like if you guse someone might have some creditation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, it was bad, It was really bad. But I'm really glad that I helped out HR with that. They're welcome. They should thank me, send me that email.
Speaker 1: But was it a silent and level or the whole building? Why did you press it three times?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 3: Why did you keep pressing it?
Speaker 2: Because I was like, surely one of these is going to open the door, like rest everyone.
Speaker 5: Like a child.
Speaker 1: You are, Actually it is actually so funny.
Speaker 3: Alright, guys, well look we've got to go home. I'm in duress.