Speaker 1: This is Pat Cummins. This is Australia.
Speaker 2: One of the worst things I have ever seen done on a cricket field.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, welcome to the Unflavorable Podcast, Coming to your wife from Grey Barry Reef Arena. Here and Mackay, head of a second Test match between Australia and Bangladesh, play on the line. My name is Josh on a Finger. Luie Camerontre. How are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Josh, how are you very well? Thank you?
Speaker 3: I wanted to just start by thanking our listener.
Speaker 2: You want to start with a scripted intro and you told me to be ready for that, so I just wanted to throw you off. Well, I know that sounded weird.
Speaker 3: You've got to get your obligations out, and just wanted to thank you. Know, we asked for some Apple reviews in the first Test match and we've had some great ones coming in from and you want to.
Speaker 1: Keep me interested before you launched into the view.
Speaker 3: Exactly okay, exactly cool cool.
Speaker 2: I'm interested. Now I'm invested in this podcast. I hope people who are listening are also still invested.
Speaker 3: I hope, but yes, I just wanted to give a shout out to NK one seven seven and jelly Boy twelve for them wonderful reviews on Apple podcasts, So if you want to get in touch with the show, you can also do that by getting onto Apple podcasts and checking it out.
Speaker 2: Definitely my favorite of the NKS number the first one hundred and seventy six, though a bit overrated. What did he say or she.
Speaker 3: Just that's some very positive feedback. I don't want to get too self aggrandizing here, but yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Got around you well and you yeah yeah, oh nice.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're going to check out those podcasts and jelly Beans sixty seven?
Speaker 1: What did they say?
Speaker 3: Jelly Boy wanted some tips on how a both fast bowling.
Speaker 2: You don't. We've already covered that, Yeah, I mean, he's just I mean, you're listening to the wrong, wrong podcast if you if you want to get better at cricket, we are here to critique those who are.
Speaker 1: Already good at cricket.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right, people who were.
Speaker 2: Already better than you, and that you'll never people would just never be as good at cricket as I suppose. So yeah, unless that's one of the members of the Australian cricket team well, could bee, Yeah, could bee?
Speaker 3: We better get to this traint cricket team because they have made a big change this week after they're lost by name, it's to bangaledeshin dah when they have so I did to drop Jake Weatherold. He's out of the thirteen player squad and in comes Matthew Renshaw. Fourteen tests he's played. He hasn't played since twenty twenty three, but some strong form for Queensland last season brings him right back up to the top. And unfortunately, after a loss like that, it feels like the change that Australia had to have.
Speaker 2: It felt like they needed to make a change for sure. Whether it was the right one, people are going to ask some questions. I was really surprised, but really surprised. I thought that given the scope of the technique changes he kind of made that he'd been encouraged to make by this Aussie team, or at least endorsed by you know this, he wouldn't have been changing these things without their endorsement. I thought they'd give him another test. You know, you can argue both sides of it, like six tests into a career is longer than I believe Sam Constant Scott. He played the two he might have got about the same, might have played five those two at the back end of the Yash of.
Speaker 1: Summer and then three in the Caribbean.
Speaker 2: He was left out for Schlanker in between them exactly right, and the World Test Championship final as well, and then came in when Marnus the opening thing didn't didn't work, so he got about as long as Sam, give you one one more test than him, he got less than Sorry, he got more than Nathan McSweeney, so double the amount of games and performed better than those two. Like I think, you know, Constas had three poor tests in the West Indies. McSweeney didn't really ever get going in an unfamiliar position, so there was enough there to be encouraged, and then they pulled the trigger on him early, like you know, people, I think, if anything, it actually heightens the pressure on a few other guys who have either been underperforming for some time or had a poor test an outlying test in the in Darwin and and and are older just in that bracket where we're waiting, not waiting, but were We just know that athletes around that age slow down, So yeah, there's there was a lot you know, it was it was a small change, but it also was a was a really big one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess a lot of listeners will be wondering is it as simple as a straight swap Matthew Renshaw coming into the eleven for jaqueas always saw him doing some practice at first slip today pushing bow webs through out of that position which you just got off with mcquajen. Now he's into third slip. So does that mean we're going to see Renshaw straight to the top or is it going to be some extra batting eleven shenanigans at play from the Aussies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was my first instinct when I saw the squad change. I'm like, like, this is this would be very on brand for them to do something funny. You know, Travis Head went up to open. No one saw that coming last summer. That was kind of a bit of a force change, But you would think it's a straight So, I mean, Alex Carey, speaking to the media yesterday, said that he was looking forward to renta opening the batting with Travis Head. So that's probably a pretty good sign that's what's going to happen. Marnas is you know the one when I was saying, you know, in terms of underperformance over a longer period of time, we're talking about Marnas, right. He has been preparing as if he's I'd be surprised if they made a move there like a training today. English. English would be the only other one who could come in for him. He battered kind of at the end of the session. You know, Look, they have done things like that before, where you know, we read too much into training and then they pull the trigger.
Speaker 1: It would surprise me. Like Martinus had a.
Speaker 2: Really really long hit today and stayed back longer than any of the others. You would think his mood would have changed if he'd been told that he was out. So unless he hasn't been told that he's that he's out, so maybe they're still waiting to have a look at the pitch. I know that they do rate Josh Inglis's versatility, but asking him are expecting him to come straight into number three in the Test team would be a big goal, wouldn't it. Yeah, that would feel like a like a big change. Then if you've changed two of your top three after one defeat, it's on Australia really to prove it's this isn't this this is an outlier because as the stands, you go, eleven of thirteen tests beforehand they won and then they've lost to the ninth ranked bangladeshis who had the best of the conditions in Darwin. So you might be able to kind of say that, but you know, a loss here and Makai that would you know, there'd be no excuses there. So one test defeat to Bangladeshi acceptable, you know, not acceptable, but you know, in the realm of like you know, people can hack it. A second one would be you know, disastrous, it would be okay, that's a great little set up there. Loo Matthew Renchel, let's just touch on him. Fourteen tests so far in his career, an average of twenty nine point three. It just turned thirty as well. As I said, he came back in in twenty twenty three, but that was in a middle order role. Wasn't ahead of that India series. I feel like that time didn't really feel like that spot was his. This time, it feels like to me the selectors are saying, okay, now it's yours take with both hands and see what you can do.
Speaker 1: Is that a really strange career.
Speaker 2: Kind Of writing a piece on him yesterday, it was instructive to kind of remember what that was like. Yes the kind of twenty year old who burst onto the scene way back in twenty sixteen. It was this fresh, frace, young opener. You know, he was going to be the future. Came in with the team with rend Nick Madison and Peter Hanscombe and by the end of that year they were all out of the team. Maybe Hanscom lasted a bit into that seventeen to eighteen ashes, but renshawd lost his spot twelve months after or maybe even nine months after that one hundred of the SCG and then he went into the middle order. He lost his Queensland spot. He kind of came back in for one test after the Cape Town debark all the middle order thing in India. As you mentioned, he's since come into the wap ball frame. He's dominated the One Day Cup and then had some really encouraging and then also maybe some discouraging the ODI performances. I think people have kind of put the narrative of the ode I thing and you know, being this upward trajectory of the last little bit well. He made in Bangladesh earlier this year he made and Pakistan I think was four to zero zero in four consecutive innings.
Speaker 3: It's a tough run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tough run and so it hasn't been linear.
Speaker 2: But then at the end of that tour he made eighty nine not out and I think he finished as one of their leading we could takers over the course of the games, as one of their best bowlers. So a really strange tour that kind of encapsulates a really up and down kind of career. Let's see if this is the kind of second or third or fourth coming of him that that can really deliver something for Australia. He's had a bat in the nets last couple of days here, always an energetic trainer. You'd say he's got that bright green lid on and then I think he's just it's extra shiny. Is that a different brand of Maybe it's the DSc because he's recently changed bat sponsors, I believe, so maybe that's how they make their homelets.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's extra shiny. I'm sure the viewers will notice that when they see him walk out there in the Test match. Let's have a look at what else happened in the nets today. Bow Webster and Manus Labish and had a long battle both with bad and ball. I guess they both do a little bit of both. Now if you say that Manus is you know it's condod it. But on the final ball of bo Webster's session, Labashane actually knocked over his off stump and there were a few giggles and laughs all around from his teammates. Cameron Green just gave him a shake of the head to say sorry mate. No one should have to go through that sort of thing. So that was interesting. All the bowlers were there, they had a quick bowl, not all of them bold to batters. They were only Bowland and Lion batted to or bold to batters, and lyone actually had a long chat to Kumar Damasina, who is going to be umpiring in this Test match. Of course, he was an off spinner himself, took over two hundred wickets for Sri Lanka and so perhaps they were just comparing a few notes on the craft of off spin Bolin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, potentially, maybe Nathan Lion was giving him some tips for his Instagram page. And the dumb scene has really exploded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been prolific in that area, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, Sorry, I don't know where I'm going with that other than I just wanted that to be noted. I know more about Nathan lyon the last couple of days in the nets, and I do Kuma Damascena's Instagram. I've been watching him closely.
Speaker 1: Line.
Speaker 2: There's some suggestion that maybe the you know, the effectiveness that we saw in that Adelaide test last summer wasn't quite there in Bangladesh. So in Darwin against Bangladesh coming off a big injury layoff, the reports internally was that the fizz and the dip and everything was there. Well, so windy here, we've just lost our camera.
Speaker 1: The reports were that post injury, the fizz.
Speaker 2: And the dip and everything were already there. All back there for Lion, which is a good sign. He's been working quite closely with James Franklin's kind of a bit of a new addition to this coaching stuff. He's done a few tours, but I believe he's kind of going to be here more frequently now that Dan Vattori is going to do more franchise stuff over the next little bit and it's watching line bolted Cary just off a step in the nets today you could carry was explaining to Franklin what glove Nathan Lyon watches of his when he to right handers. And it was interesting just seeing Franklin like kind of picked that up. So there's all these little because he's ostensibly the kind of bowling us. So I think Kerry was saying that he line watches his right glove religiously when he's bowling to right handers, and that's his.
Speaker 1: Kind of like aim point.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was this morning.
Speaker 2: The morning before that, he kind of laid out a little box with his yellow bits of tape on the pitch and again was just bowling off step or two, just going through the basics. It was remarkable how often so this box would have been maybe thirty.
Speaker 3: Meters thirty centimeters.
Speaker 2: Thirty thirty meters, that'd be a big box even even you could a thirty yeah, thirty centimeters give or take each side of it. And yeah, so they must have run out of handkerchiefs for him to bowl that bigger. But he like, he landed so many balls in that little thing and it was just like a little thing that if Old mats listening and wants advice on how to become a better cricketer. If you can hit the thirty cinemeter as much as Nathan Lyon, you know you're gonna be pretty good. So it was interesting that he's just working on these basic things.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny you say that because I mentioned today that Stark, Hazewlod and Cummins only bowled on empty nets, but they had cones placed on a good length and again taking it right back to basics. I was impressed because I know that they're professional cricketers and all that, but you would expect Cummins and Hazeward to be the most accurate. It was actually Starker hit the cones the most out of the three.
Speaker 1: And were they bowling off a full run?
Speaker 3: They were, yeah, off their full run. So interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: It's often like the really little things that you look back.
Speaker 2: I remember one of the one of our colleagues around like the player Content Capture day, was stunned at how good these guys were. Like a chipping challenge, and you just kind of forget that you're working with the athletes who have the best hand eye coordination in the country, so like, it's not that surprising they pick up another ball stick sport and they're really good at it. It's often the littler things rather than the big things to kind of illustrate that. So yeah, with line, you know, some really basic technical kind of stuff going on. Manas similar long hits. You know, you can tell it's a team that kind of have been a bit rattled on happened in Darwin and they're desperately you know, looking to looking for ademption.
Speaker 1: I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean when you look back at that border Gavasca Trophy that was down under a couple of years ago. They lost that first test in Perth comprehensively and you know, the outside noise was, oh, there needs to be changing all these sorts of things. But they came back and you know, responded really well in that series, isn't there. So I think they feel like one loss is not a time to panic and they'll back their processes to get them back on the winning list.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting one to bring up, and it's been talked about a little bit in the last week, right like the teams, this team's performance after long breaks, I mean, you're nitpicking or up, but like there was the Ashes game against England last year that you know, England could have easily won it had they played some smart in Perth. Yeah, some smarter cricket and then Travis Head has single handedly won that game for Australia, the Perth game the previous year against.
Speaker 1: India with our outplay.
Speaker 2: And then I've heard others even bring up the World Test Championship Final in twenty last year twenty twenty five, the lost to South Africa. Lost to South Africa, had a bit of a lay off their guys coming off ipl and then they hit played really good cricket in the Caribbean on the back of that. Yeah, yeah, I mean it is nitpicking. The thing with those is they are all the start of longer test campaigns in Australia. There was five test campaigns against India in England, you know, a four test campaign if you want to call it. That WTC final plus Caribbean. Here they've got two tests and I know they've got South Africa on the back of that, but there's that a six week break between the second Test here in Mackay and the first Test in Durban, so there's no time like you know, if we get a wash out here, there's I don't think there's a chance of some small chance of rain, or if it's a really fat flat wicket here and there's a draw, Bangalsh wins series like you can't. You know, it's a luxury that Australia have had. They play these longest series, even three Test series is long now, right that they get to warm into it, so they don't have that luxury and they've been rightly pulled up for it. Yeah, okay, Bangladesh, Well they pulled off perhaps the greatest Test victory in their history and they come hear the mackay, We've just seen them run around in the field, very energetic and full of competitive spirit as well. There were quite a few games that they had where they were throwing at the stumps and every time the ball hit the stumps one team cheered and the other hands on head sorts of things. They get their left arm quick shore for Islam back. He is available after dealing with a side straight and I believe whether or not he gets picked there's another question here because it's very hard to change that team that comprehensively beat Australia over eleven sessions in Darwin.
Speaker 1: Just watching him in the nets. He's literally bowling as we speak. You can see him.
Speaker 2: Over your left shoulder. Josh, I watched him bowl a couple of balls to Mominal Huck. I think it was on picking him, really him, like on the on the evidence of two balls, I'm like, oh right, this this bloke's a proper bowler. I might argue he's better than the all three of the bowlers they picked in that first test. So if he's fit for me, he's in. He is a he's a proper one thirty plus, you know, one thirty five plus left arm tall for you know, for these Bangal a really short Bangladesh team. He's a tall bowler. He's one hundred percent in. Yeah, you can actually he's literally bowling as we speak and bolwing some good gas. So I mean, Eberdot would probably be the one. He was a little bit way with that second innings and didn't get much of the ball when the game was on the line. That's often a bit of a teller. Who's who do you turn to when the game's you know, really in the in the nutcrunch time, and and I think Shanto kind of didn't didn't really trust him in that moment. The other option would be to go four quicks. Keep everto Sato bomb quite well on that first tick, got a couple of wickets and maybe get rid of Title Islam and go four quick and Mahedi, who was the more effective spinner in Darwin definitely. You know, I think Titles are really experienced operator. I'd be inclined, especially here Mackay that the ball does, the pitch does take a bit of spin towards the end of the game. The caveat there is a there hasn't been a whole lot of first class cricket, and be the first class cricket we have had here has normally been in that November October November kind of period. I think the weather's a lot cooler here. I think that kind of caught us a little bit by surprise. So whether it would break up quite as much as it does, then that's all for Bangladesh to decide.
Speaker 1: I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen the suggestion that they might leave Tigle out, but and he wasn't super effective in there, and you have to say, I think just the one we could have Labushane in that second innings. But yeah, as you say, he's got so much experience and they like going to him to potentially hold up an end. Although Mehetia Sogn was much more successful at that in the first Test, wasn't he. But it's again it's title's first test here in Australia as well, so like all of them, even though he's got nearly three hundred Test wickets under his belt, he's still probably adjusting to conditions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the fear into that first Test, unfounded as it was, was that you know, the small spinners in Australia get eaten up by this country and the extra bounce is the kind of thing that you need. You know, they didn't get eaten up by any measure. And Mahdi on the contrary, like you know, boldest team to victory. So I fear that Mackay being a more normal creer ground inverted commas on normal natural pitch, you probably get a bit more of that carrying bounce that should play into Australia's favor. That should be conditions that Australia know and have been dominant in over the last little bit to the point where you know, if if it is a you know a mid August pitch as opposed to a November pitch that might crack up. Maybe it's a bit more seam movement. Do you need Nathan Lyon? I mean that that will be I think a question that they will be asking. They've they've shown that they're willing to drop him. It has always been pinkball games, has always been a little last tix when they've done it.
Speaker 1: Does Scott Bowland give you more than Nathan Lyon?
Speaker 2: You know, when you've got Webster and Green in the team. I'm not one hundred percent sure that they do it, but it will definitely be a talking point. And ran short of alsome OFFI is as well potentially, so not saying that they're of Nathan Lyon's quality, but they are rough and they have got.
Speaker 3: Anic they are off spin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bo Webster as well. I guess you blag you a through it. I mean I think I think you've got enough scene bowling coverage personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if they do think it's going to nip around a little bit more, then I think probably Webster comes into the game a little bit more. You know, Bangledesh went after him. Min Darwin on a lower wicket. I think that's easier to do. And I still have high hopes for Green his improvement as a bowler. I thought he was poor and down with the ball. He's got so much potential with the ball on It's a hill that I would not die on that Cameron Green can be an extremely effective Test bowler.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go. Now the last Chiffield should match here, which was two seasons ago, mitchwebson five for in the final innings. So yep, it has taken spin, but we were also expecting it to take a little bit of pace as well. This has been the unplayable podcast Here Mackay join us for the Day one recap after Saturday's play. We'll be right here wherever you like to get your podcasts.