Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast.
Speaker 2: Past leep that line.
Speaker 3: Welcome back TV Reload listeners. My ame is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode, I've been finding guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they are currently making, so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to the podcast however you found it. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. This episode, I'm joined by Nathan Henry and Adam Cooney, the two celebrities who have just missed out on being a part of the finale of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here Australia. These two boys were given the boot in a double eviction that has left Asia, Liz and Harry vying for the jungle crown. Adam is known for being an AFL Brownlow medallist who was pushed into the jungle by his wife and kids, but one over the hearts of Australia with his genuine attitude and his bravery with the challengers. Nathan was allowed British reality staff from the hit series Geordie Shaw, who was probably the lesser known celeb but managed to make a huge impact on the other celebs and Australian audiences. I do have to say that the boys were well and truly into the spirit of their post jungle life. So full disclaimer, we do get some rowdy chat and some X rated content, so don't come for me. If you're one of those sensitive people, you need to switch off because this chat is just not for you. I will ask Nathan about some of those stories that were cut from the final edit and get some insights into his thoughts on Australia. Adam will open up about his friendship with Nathan and why he thinks that there's some stigma still about quemen and sports. We will discuss how the show has impacted both boys and if this has changed the way that they want to do television in the future. Plus we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes if I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, which is having its finale on Sunday night at seven thirty, and you can also catch up on ten Play if you've fallen a little bit behind before that finale. Anyway, let's bring Nathan and Adam into the podcast and I really hope you enjoyed this episode. Hi boys, Nathan, well done on winning over Australia in just twenty episodes of I'm a Celebrity.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I didn't think it was possible because I've had my predecessors before me. I had Joey six, I had Vicki Patterson, I had Charlotte Crosby, all refined UK reality stars, and I genuinely and I still to this day, believe that I am not as famous and big as them. I surpassed all fucking three of them and I came forth. So obviously the Australians loved me more than I love.
Speaker 2: Them, and I am sore honored and humbled to actually have came fourth. And I'm so grateful for humbled.
Speaker 4: I am fucking ecstatic, Like the competition side of me came out like I'm so happy about that.
Speaker 3: How did this show come about for you? Because that's a good question. I want to know did Joey Essex or Charlotte Crosby did they do you in like how did it come to?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: Like it was very random.
Speaker 4: So basically I started talking to a guy that lives in Australia and he was best friends with the booking agent for the show, and he basically is called, well show to Will.
Speaker 2: I'm Benji. They put me forwards Tunnel ten for this show.
Speaker 4: And then straight from that meeting, I went straight into a meeting with Tunnel ten and they were like would you do the show? I was like yes, you'll have me literally in a week. Were like, we want you on the shore. I was like, are you fucking for real? You want me like little old me from down in England.
Speaker 2: Yes, please.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's brilliant because Australia is now obsessed with you and I'm going to get into that in a minute. But Adam, how are you feeling? Are you shocked at how well you've done?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: I'm so shocked at how well I did.
Speaker 1: Generally, the AFL players travel pretty well in this competition, so I had a little bit to live up to. Generally they make the top five except Billy Brownis. I think he got kicked out early, but so bad luck Billy.
Speaker 2: But I was so sore.
Speaker 5: I thought I'd be in here for.
Speaker 1: Seven to ten days, max, and then flying home, go back to see the family and get on with my life. Little did I know twenty eight days later, I'd still be stuck in that hell hole with those crazy celebrities.
Speaker 3: You do. You are right, We get the AFL footballer, but something about you, I think we've got to go on a journey with Maybe we didn't know as much about your personal life and who you are as a person. Of course we know you're a Brownlow medallist and all of that, but I felt like we got to learn more about you during the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I learned a lot about myself during the show as well. I think I said a few times that my kids have never seen me cry, And when I was reunited with them yesterday, they were laughing at me, calling me a silk.
Speaker 5: Even Hayley, who's the most emotional person I've ever met, was saying, well are we crying so much?
Speaker 1: On that show, but it was an emotional journey. That's what the jungle does here. It forces you to think about things deeper because you have a lot of downtime and you really.
Speaker 5: Do sort of face your emotions.
Speaker 1: And I had a pretty good crew in their Woody Dicko, Nathan my boy. They all drew They all drew that out of me as well, and I think it's been great.
Speaker 5: It was like a twenty eight day therapy session for me.
Speaker 3: You said that your wife and your kids though bullied you into doing this show. That was the headline across the media while you've been gone. Did you really want to turn it down? And what tactics of bullying are you talking about?
Speaker 5: I turned it down straight away.
Speaker 1: My agent rang me and said, look, do you want to are you interested in doing on the Celebrity?
Speaker 5: I said no, thanks, don't call me for a week.
Speaker 2: Exactly what you said, every single tear, why you win that.
Speaker 5: I wanted to go home.
Speaker 1: After about three days, I was like, all right, I've had enough this, get me.
Speaker 5: Out of here.
Speaker 1: I've wind every day up from about day three to day twenty one.
Speaker 5: All I wanted to do was kick down that gate and get out, get the hell out of there. But after I've been in there for twenty one days, I thought, well, I may as well see this one out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, all I wanted to do was leave because it was pretty tough in there, and yeah I was. There was no physical bullying, It was more sort of mental the mental breakdown from Haley and the.
Speaker 5: Kids to tell me to get in there.
Speaker 1: And then they all they all said that they missed me so much and just wanted me to come home.
Speaker 5: But geez, I'm glad that they're over here with me. Now.
Speaker 3: What about this though? People get kicked out of these competitions and then they want to go back in. So you hate it every day. But if we gave you the opportunity to go back in right now, would you do it?
Speaker 1: Not a chance in this world would I go back into there. We had to film a scene of me and Nathan leaving the jungle and which we walked down the same path and I was getting PTSD again, just bloody walking back.
Speaker 5: Now. I thought they were going to throw me back in there.
Speaker 3: Nathan. What is the impression of Australian television in the UK? I mean, do reality TV stars want to come to Australia and try and crack the market.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not going to lie firstly, but when I got into this industry, I'm mister Ladd and Australian TV didn't have a frigging clue what.
Speaker 2: I was getting my supem for.
Speaker 4: You guys are absolutely bucked, shit crazy. Absolutely one flew over the cuckoo's nest. All need a psyched tests. Every single one of using Boadliner's saying I have suddainly enjoyed.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, is that Tim Tams.
Speaker 4: It's like I'm a crackhead to Tim Tams, like, oh my god, oh well, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna eat one while I'm doing this, My dear, Why I've been in the jungle, I asked for Tim Tam.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed. This is how obsessed I am.
Speaker 4: Right, I said, if I get kicked off the jungle, I'm not leaving this production site unless I have five bucks to take on.
Speaker 2: I want to be the face of Tim Thams.
Speaker 4: I am the chocolate, magical goodness that Australia needs right now?
Speaker 3: Will you do more TV? Why you're here? Because I can imagine after such a successful run. I mean, I'm celebrating you. Everyone in Australia is celebrating you. Do you think that you'll stick around and do more TV or do you think you go by Geordie Shure and more? You know, of of that shock reality that's that you've been familiar with.
Speaker 4: My plan is to actually do more TV. I want to do presenting. I want to do Master Chef in Australia. I would like to do Dance with the Stars. I want to do any single thing. I feel like I want to do more Australian TV because I feel like in the long run, I.
Speaker 2: Would actually like to move to Australia.
Speaker 4: And when this is actually a the secret as well, So way before I've got famous, a psychic told my mom that I'm going to be on this is before we're famous as well, said your oldest son is going to be famous, is going to be on Australian TV and it's going to be on the biggest show in Australia.
Speaker 2: I've just done that and then they said I'm going to move to Australia.
Speaker 4: So I think the next is the plan is the moving and Australia.
Speaker 2: If you will have me, I will definitely be there.
Speaker 3: You said last night, you know when you're eliminated that you know this experience was better than Jordie Shaw. Is that because you've got to be more yourself? I mean, when you're doing something like Jordi Shore, I guess there's a lot of pressure for it to be a particular style of show where you know, you did turn up straight away and we're extremely loud, but then as time went on you seem to calm down and show you true colors, which is I think the reason why Australia loved you so much. Did you enjoy doing this better because you could be truly yourself?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that you just hit the nail on the head, like this is the one show where I've been able to relax and just be me and have no fears about it, no guards up, and just let my head down. And for some unbeknown reason, people liked what the sort I'm not gonna like the whole time I thought I was a wingy little bitch who did nothing but complain, But for some strange reason, Australia loved that, and I was like, Okay, wow, how how do I go from being who I've left the jungle and then going back to that I'm not gonna lie. Yesterday I came out and I said I wasn't gonna drink. I had three bottle of wine last night. I'm not gonna shove and course shit.
Speaker 2: So I went straight back to having a drink. But however, I'm not transformed.
Speaker 4: Straight in that person. I still have part of me, still got my wits about me. I still I know I think this is not I'm in a different place life now, and I thunk the jungle.
Speaker 2: For that, like it has propelled me to grow up. I'm not. I'm not said I'm a boring person. Now I'm not. I'm just more refined. Imagine me like a bottle of red wine. Even though I don't drink red wine, I can't stand it.
Speaker 4: But imagine me like a bottle of red wine by that's been in a gorgeous cellar. Now I'm more refined, I'm more tasty and delectable. But no one is going to fucking open me because I am still brewing. That's exactly why I am now.
Speaker 3: Adam, what was the hardest thing about the show in terms of testing your mental attitude? And the reason why I asked This is when I go to the gym, I watch AFL footballers stand in the in the coldest conditions. So when football is going to go into this show, I think that your mental attitude is going to be pretty strong. But what was the hardest thing about this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the mental attitude takes a lot.
Speaker 1: You have to be pretty strong in here. We don't have warm showers, so we have cold showers for twenty eight days. You can't eat whenever you're hungry, so you get a quarter of a cup of oats in the morning, two scoops of rice and beans for lunch, and then depending on how well you do in a trial, you might get half a portion of dinner if you go okay in the trials. So the hardest thing when you're hungry at home the cup, you go to the fridge and you make something.
Speaker 5: We overeat, every one of us. What we realize is how much we.
Speaker 1: Actually eat in the real world, So it's the hunger factor day after day after day is really difficult.
Speaker 5: I hated washing my clothes with my hands. Wringing them out hurt my forearms because of how low I was on energy. Walking up and down hills was difficult.
Speaker 2: I couldn't wash my hair properly.
Speaker 5: Do you me to keep going?
Speaker 3: It's the long walk.
Speaker 5: You have to go and get your own wood done.
Speaker 3: Have to take your own shit out.
Speaker 5: We couldn't flush the toilet.
Speaker 1: You're just shooting into a bucket for a month. Thankfully I didn't have to the toilets. That was Nathan and Aisha's little job. But Aisha enjoyed it a little bit too much.
Speaker 5: He's a real turd queen.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that is absolutely disgusting. I want to talk to you about your friendship with Nathan because it actually was quite amazing to watch. It was that quite you know, from an LGBTI person myself, I thought it was just a beautiful friendship to watch it evolved. You know, it's clear that you both have this this amazing mate ship. I wanted to ask you about your relationship with gay end before doing this show. Did you have mates like Nathan prior to doing I'm a celebrity, not a.
Speaker 5: Lot of friends like Nathan. I don't think there are many people in the world like Nathan, so it was an unlikely friendship. A former AFL.
Speaker 1: Player and gay Jeordie Shaw star team up in the jungle, but I know we just quicked straight away. He knows nothing about football obviously, but I was sort of watched Jordi Shaw back in the day, so I knew of Nathan. But he the first three days was he was full on, like he's as extrovert as you can get. But then after he calmed down, I think we saw a completely different side of him where he was really kind. He was really selfless, and I love sitting with someone and just being able to chat open and honestly. And when I was feeling down, he was quite often the one who would lift my spirits again by making me laugh or just having a deep conversation.
Speaker 5: It's amazing to have someone like that in your life.
Speaker 1: And has just said it's an unlikely little friendship we've got. Hopefully when he comes to Australia he can come and stay at my house for a few days. I think he's going to be busy in Australia because everyone's fallen in love with him.
Speaker 5: You see what sort of an amazing character he is.
Speaker 1: And for him to come in the top four, I'll give him that he came forth.
Speaker 5: So for him to finish fourth after not a lot of people in Australia knowing him at all.
Speaker 1: I think he's a testament to his character and what sort of person he is.
Speaker 3: The reason why I was asking you about this makeshift with Nathan is you'd made some comments previously about why we haven't seen gay men in football in the AFL, and one of the comments was there's probably a gay footballer in every team. But what do you think is the real reason behind that and is there anything that we could be doing to sort of help people feel more comfortable about their sexuality in sport.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell you the reason why. I think it would be amazing.
Speaker 5: To see that.
Speaker 1: I think the AFL is certainly more than ready for a gay AFL player, and it would open the door to so many other players to coming out.
Speaker 5: We've seen it in the past with a League players, with NBL players. It's only a matter of time before we see a gay AFL player come out. And they're going to make so much money too.
Speaker 3: But maybe that's the reason why they don't want to do it, that maybe someone just wants to be a sportsman. They don't want to be the face of the LGBTI community. Do you think that might deter people from coming out.
Speaker 5: I hope not.
Speaker 1: I certainly hope it doesn't because I think that whoever does come out, and he's brave enough. As I said, there'll be so many kids out there who know that they're different, and you're probably better to speak on this, Nathan, but who are different but too good or too worried about what people will.
Speaker 5: Think of them.
Speaker 1: And I think if they see someone like an NFL player that is a role model to them, then that is something that they would feel more comfortable and aspire to be like.
Speaker 5: And is that right?
Speaker 2: No, I agree with that. I think what you just said with there was perfectly beautiful.
Speaker 4: It would be nice if more AFL players did come out, especially Adam Coooning. It would be nice if you did, but it's one of them things that you've got to do it when you're comfortable and when you're ready. However, if anyone did, it would change the game and it would pave the way for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: What about back at home for you, you know, are the sports people coming out better? I mean here in Australia, I mean maybe we've got a bit of a problem with the term mate and in our blokiness and all the rest of it. But Nathan, back home, are queer people coming out in sport?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: There's been a few people back home that have came out and do you know what that all have been well received and openly unwelcomed the fuck.
Speaker 2: If anything, it's encouraged, black Horn.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, again with sport, it is one of them heavily masculine things where it's like a lot of funds this forget that it is a sport and they are they almost take it too far when like obviously people come out and make it personal, this, that and the other. So it's like it kind of I personally don't if I was a sports person, I probably wouldn't come out because I just don't think it's the industry to feel safe in and feel accepting just because that's and I will be honest, that's not the fans and how they make you feel.
Speaker 2: So I feel like if the way people, if people could.
Speaker 4: Just love sport for sport and not the players, then of course it'd be a welcoming thing.
Speaker 3: Everyone that's coming out that I've spoken to have said, you tell some amazing stories, and then I've chatted to some of them since who've watched the show, and that they've all been edited out of the show. So I want you to do me a favor, they said, there was heats of stories, but what is the juiciest story that you know in your heart of hearts would not have been played on television that you can tell me because I just want to hear I just want to be your best mate and I want to hear his stories.
Speaker 2: Right, So this is very this isn't this is not PG watch.
Speaker 3: That's okay, this is not a PG podcast. It's rated R.
Speaker 4: It's D basically, so the biggest story told would have been on the second or third jobs in the jungle.
Speaker 2: It's a sex story about me and a pilot. Right. So I went to a Beyonce. I'm going to give you the whole Shenanigan. I'm going to give you the whole story. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm here for I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: But I went to a beyoncere concert. Bear in mind, I won the tickets to go see Beyonce as well. So this is where the story gets even. Back won the tickets to go see Beyonce with my best friend, went out in Manchester in Canal Street, and then I met this pilot on God's Green Earth.
Speaker 2: This man looked like fucking George Clooney, handsomest.
Speaker 4: Man ever seen, pushing borderline sixty, giving me gilts, giving me guilt vibes, invite.
Speaker 2: Me back to his penthouse in the hotel.
Speaker 4: Got back to his and then it was like, let's get a bath, Let's get a shower.
Speaker 2: We got in the shower, got in the bath.
Speaker 4: He licked my bumhole like there was no to moral, sucked on all of my toes and then he was like stay there. I was like, all right, okay, went to the mini bar and I don't know how or why it had strawberries there.
Speaker 2: He put a strawberry in my bumhole and.
Speaker 4: Then ate it out. Wait then no, wait there, listen, ate the strawberries from my bumhole. Then pored champagne from the top of my back, made me archer my back, pored champagne down my back and then it went through the crack of a bump and licked the champagne out the crevice of my ass.
Speaker 2: So we actually made a song which has it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it made it to it called Strawberry and champagne. And that was the second story I told, and I got licked out by sixty.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say sixty, old man, the strawberries away in my ass and stilted it. It was the fifty shades of great ship that I was in here.
Speaker 4: And when I say he licked me out, he licked every inside of my fiber. I felt like a candy lollipop.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether or not in Australia any of our pilots are gonna live up to this. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Put it, no one will live up to that standard.
Speaker 4: Because when I said I was playing high baby, I'll join the mile hyker brother.
Speaker 3: I think you've just exceeded my expectations. I was expecting juice, and I got it. Different kind of juice, more of a champagne juice and everything else that are collected on the way. He's a good one for you, Adam. I thought you calling out Chris Hemsworth was really funny. Do you think that Do you think that he'll be fine with it or do you think you're going to dodge him the next time that you're see him.
Speaker 1: I think I want have to dodge him the next time I see him next time and he invited me over for dinner, I might have to pass on that one, But I don't know what.
Speaker 5: To be fair, I haven't seen Chris Hemsworth in the Ruins ever. A big Bulldogs fan allegedly.
Speaker 1: But we only sort of saw him around the twenty sixteen time when the Bulldogs are winning premierships, and then he was in the room. So I don't know if he's a fair weather supporter or he's just jumped on the Dogs when they're being winning or not. But it would have been nice to see Hemsey in some of those dark days when we're only winning three or four games a year, to come down the rooms and support us.
Speaker 3: Let's be clear here, are you going to ever be or have you ever been invited to Chris hemsworth place for dinner?
Speaker 5: Let's be clear, I have never been in to Chris Hampler.
Speaker 3: Sounds like that might be problem.
Speaker 5: I don't think over will be.
Speaker 3: Now everyone who joins the podcast gets asked this question, what is something from behind the scenes, something that we wouldn't have seen, sort of like a behind the scenes secret of making the show. Obviously not something you know, because you don't know what's been played on television, but you know, like kind of like a behind the scene secret of what it's like to be a celebrity on this show.
Speaker 4: And we literally do not get treat later, I retas the whole time we're in that deaf.
Speaker 3: You should have known that one going in, that one's on the.
Speaker 6: Ball, or after him, this and after on well five hundred and thirty four million.
Speaker 2: Relate TV shows. Sometimes relate TV shows to tend so.
Speaker 4: That they have like a thing where the pretend for camera and then you get treated like a celeb. On this shore, there was no special treatment. There was nothing like that. Every day I asked for him time every day after any shrink, every day after something did not get special treatment.
Speaker 3: That's kind of hilarious in itself. I mean, I think that's why this show does so well. I mean there's like what five or six different incarnations of this show around the world. You know, do you think that you'll go and do the UK one after you've done this.
Speaker 6: If I went to the UK one, I'd need a therapist for when I came back out and I would need do you know what. I don't think I would because you don't get that and I don't think.
Speaker 2: I'm a celebt will ever get a cuff like they've had this year.
Speaker 3: I think I think the bond you could see it, it came through a TV screen mate. Can I just say to the both of you, thank you so much for coming on the podcast. Both of you are so hilarious and so fun and I got so much out of watching the both of you. I can't wait to see what you guys do next, and good luck with it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, love you,