Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week.
Speaker 2: They might welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast, I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors, and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today. On the podcast, I have the gorgeous queen from RuPaul's Drag Race down Under season two. This guest might not have had the loudest voice in the competition, but she certainly made an impact on us as an audience. It is Urie Guy on the second series of down Under. We've really been treated to a different blend of personalities, each contestant offering vastly different stories and overcoming different hurdles, making this competition anyone's guests on who will take home the crown. There was plenty of people online talking about Yuri Guy's time on the show, and this queen had a lot of us wondering if she was the secret trade of the season. With this week's episode focusing on a new rivalry between Queen Kong and Beverly Kills, it was sadly two queens in the back seat of the episode who unfortunately landed in the bottom two and saw Uri Guy packing. We will talk about her lack of confidence if RuPaul was accurate and suggesting there might be a backstory holding her back, and a quick game of shady or lady that will see one honest answer pretty much sum up this queen's time on the show. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Uri Guy from RuPaul's Drag Race done under season two to TV reload.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I just love sitting back and watching drama.
Speaker 2: Previously on Roupol's Drag Race.
Speaker 1: On the show, I just couldn't really vibe properly.
Speaker 2: Okay, you guy, do you fancy yourself a singer?
Speaker 1: No? It no, it's hard to get that out of your head.
Speaker 3: Eerie Guy, Moley Poppins.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, my DearS, but you were both up for elimination. Just has this confidence that I don't have.
Speaker 2: You didn't struggle the most because you're not talented. You struggle the most because of those voices in your head.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're funny, but I feel like we're funny when we don't have to.
Speaker 2: Be Hi, you're a guy. How are you?
Speaker 1: Hi? Hello, I'm good. How are you?
Speaker 2: What is it condragulations on your time on the show. Are you happy with the way that you came across?
Speaker 1: I thought he was gonna say king dragulations for going home? No, sorry, no, thank you? Yeah, I'm really yeah, I'm happy with how I came across.
Speaker 2: I was myself, Well, if you can't be yourself, who can you be?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Apparently not Courtney Love.
Speaker 2: I thought your Courtney Love was great. I don't think you have to be worried about that.
Speaker 1: No, it was confusing. That was confusing. I didn't know if I was in the top or the bottom, but apparently I was on the top, and I was like, okay, cool, great love that for me.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people don't know if they are a top or a bottom until they're in the situation.
Speaker 1: Exactly, I'm verse, but okay, I guess I'm a top today.
Speaker 2: Do you now use a lot of those rupeaulisms? You know those catchphrases like I just said, congrangulations. Once you've been on the show, do you find that they slip into your repertoire.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. No, Well they haven't slipped into mind. Yeah, I don't. I'm not really like a how do you put this? I'm not like I love you Biverley. I'm not like Beverly that's like sleigh boots the house down, mama whatever, or like calling people girl and stuff that's just not me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's there's actually some rupaulisms that I still don't really understand. And I've never I've never missed a series of the show. But what the hell is what is RuPaul saying when she says she already a What is that? I don't understand?
Speaker 1: She done, already done, had herses. Apparently somebody already had something.
Speaker 2: Wait just a minute, let's bring Susan in from Stand Australia Publicity. I think I think she's trying to give us the proper answer.
Speaker 4: It's something that Rue heard a burger King cashier say when they were in line at burger King or something, and like Rue just loved it and has always said it since she.
Speaker 1: Done, already done hers. Do you think somebody tried to get to Males.
Speaker 4: I think something like that. Yeah, And she was like she done, already done, had hers this or whatever, and so Rue was like loving it.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go. Well, you know, Beverly Kills was given a fairly meaty edit in this episode. Do you think that the focus was heavily on her to distract us from who was really in trouble?
Speaker 1: Well, if you know, if Beverley distracted all the viewers and everyone from me and Molly doing really bad, I can't complain.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that Beverly did dominate that episode in your mind?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess Beverly just had a lot to prove and a lot she was in the bottom for ages, and then her like this is something and I guess that she's really good at, and so maybe it was sort of like a oh, you'll think I should have went home because I was in the bottom lip singing multiple times and now it's a dance challenge and this is something I'm really really good at, but it's also something COM's really good at.
Speaker 2: There was definitely a storyline going on between Beverly and Queen Kong like that definitely was happening because obviously they knew they were in their element, and then they became super competitive, which we really hadn't seen from Queen Kong before.
Speaker 1: No, definitely, it was great to see them in their element and do the thing and do really good. But I don't know, I just love sitting back and watching drama and watching people arguing you're happy to watch it, not to be involved, but just watch well.
Speaker 2: Interestingly enough Bev and no shade to Beverly, Like, I'm not saying Beverly kills is a lot. She is a little lot, but I'm not throwing any shade when I say this. But throughout the series, you know she'd been really confident with everything, but then it really didn't seem to land every time. With this episode we did get to see her finally being confident, and all of a sudden it was landing.
Speaker 1: The thing that I admire a lot of Beverly is her confidence. Even if you know she does really bad, doesn't matter. She's really confident she does. She's trying, like the same as me, trying her best, but she just has this confidence that I don't have. And so finally seeing all that confidence actually, you know, you know, when she's actually did good, I was like, oh, well, good for you. I'm very happy for you. So it was actually good to see her being authentically confident in something that she knows how to do.
Speaker 2: I would love to have the confidence of Beverly Kills. I don't have that.
Speaker 1: No, definitely, I would love that as well. But then if I was hobnefully confident, then I don't think a lot of people would enjoy watching me.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't say that. A couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Ago, I was in a really dark place, and I don't know that girl anymore. Now that my head's in check, I feel really galvanized and really focused. I needed the past four weeks as long as it's been. So the reality is, if your head's not in the game, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 2: Why do you think that Queen Kong has only started to flourish in the competition? Now? What do you think had been holding Queen Kong back?
Speaker 1: I feel like it's maybe a similar thing with me, but she just holds herself really well, while me, I'm like all over the place. I don't know what's happening. I'm just trying my best. I'm a mess, but she's very put together. But I guess in her head and a way as I am, and there's always just this little voice or like as Rue would say it in a saboteur. And so finally her getting a challenge that she's actually really good at, like just same as bit of it, actually got to show what she's really really really good at. And so that would probably be like a confidence booster. And because I you know, I'm I'm talking. So I went home and she won. That's what I meant.
Speaker 2: We know that everyone knows that when when people are listening to this episode, they will have seen the episode.
Speaker 1: Okay home because I suck.
Speaker 2: There was a few jokes about who the trade of the series is, and your name obviously kept coming up with a few of the queen's. I want to know, was there any sexual chemistry happening whilst making this series of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. No, Like I'm not I would say no. Like obviously everyone knows that Kong. Everyone was like, yeah, Kong's trade of the season, but then a lot of people thought that I was, and I was like, okay, okay, but I don't know, my trades of the season were Kong and Aubrey.
Speaker 2: And no one hit on you.
Speaker 1: A lot of them have partners, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I was just like boring, Well, you're obviously a very, very pretty person, and that obviously gives you a lot of attention, I would say, on the outside world. But I want to know, now that you have the attention of the rupoul's community, how many people have been sliding into your dms and what is the most outrageous, thirsty comment that you've received.
Speaker 1: Well, there's been quite a few, but like, I just don't know how to reply because I'm really bad at replying, and then I don't know what to say, and then I'm like, oh, I don't know, so then I don't reply. But I'm really bad. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would have assumed that you'd have heaps of people sliding into your dms and you have a criteria. Are they attractive? Are they my type?
Speaker 1: Well? No, I don't know. I'm not really Like as much as i'd talk about six and come and everything, I'm really I don't know. I'm really shy.
Speaker 2: You know, the reading of the Queens and Snatch Game just haven't really landed for the down Under series, last series or this series. I mean, why do you think those two challenges that work universally overseas don't land here in Australia.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're funny, but I feel like we're funny when we don't have to be, When we're like put on the spot. It's quite hard to be funny, you know, Like I'm not funny if as you can see, like if you gave me something and I had to do it straight away, I would not be funny. I don't know what I'm doing, but I feel like so maybe that's the case for a lot of us. We're just funny in general when we don't mean to be, But when we have to be, that's the problem. I think. I don't know, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not funny even though I want a comedy challenge. I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: You are funny, but you know, it was interesting. I felt anxious watching you do the reading challenge because you really struggled with saying something mean about the other girls, and I just, you know, thought, well maybe this, maybe the reading challenge doesn't work, and down on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, maybe they should like just get us really really really drunk before the reading challenge and then it would work perfectly.
Speaker 2: Fine, Well, the eyebrowers freaks in your words, look like it was going to be a bit of a nightmatter stuf with, but it seemed like it really worked. Who was the hardest person for you to collaborate with on your time on RuPaul's Drag Race down Under Series two?
Speaker 1: It's probably it was probably Biverly. I don't know. I love Beverly, but it was probably Beverly. I don't know. It's just like she was just really confident and I wasn't. And I was like sometimes, like even in the untapped where she was like we're all in the dark, we're all great, and I was like, Beverly, No, I was like, just shut up and me and Molly are in the bottom. I was honestly, I was just sometimes it's just but yeah, it was probably Bivily. But like on the show, I just couldn't really vibe probably with Beverly, but off the show, everything's great, everything's perfect, everything, it's amazing. It was just I guess just in that situation, it was really hard to work with Beverly but she did such an amazing job, like teaching me the corry and dumbing it down for me and everything. So like I can't really fault anyone for anything, her for anything, I don't or she was amazing.
Speaker 2: You know. It's an interesting show when you when you're forced with big personalities to come together and to try to work together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, definitely that. Yeah, that's that's the one. That's what I meant.
Speaker 2: I put it into words for you.
Speaker 1: You're well, I just mumbled around and you've made it work.
Speaker 2: This week, the judges seemed to really struggle with saying anything too critical, making it almost impossible to work out who was going to be in the bottom two. Are the tides starting to turn for some of the queens in this series?
Speaker 1: I just felt like we were all doing really wow. The people that weren't doing so well at the beginning of the season, for example, Biverley and Kong did really wow in this challenge. So everyone that was doing well up to this point, it was between us apparently, so like it was down to like netpicky stuff and it just so happens that, you know, me and Molly just wasn't as great as Hannah and Spanky.
Speaker 2: I think Spanky's come a long way, to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: No, definitely, Like honestly, the funny thing is is like people underestimate Spanky and that's probably like a good thing for her because whenever she does something good, you're surprised. You're like pleasantly surprised, but like, you know, so I love that for her, and I'm really happy that people are finally actually seeing the amazing artist Spanky actually is. Even if she doesn't look the best, she still is like a good time, a great time, like she's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm shocked that you've gone without us getting a resolution to what RuPaul managed to allude to in the episode. He was chatting to Michelle Vsage and Rhees Nicholson and was saying, you know, I think that there's something blocking Uri. There's maybe something in URI's past that's blocking her from reaching her full potential. Was he right? Was RuPaul right and saying that something had happened to you in your past that may be holding you back and maybe depleting your confidence.
Speaker 1: In the past, I've been in like terrible, a terrible toxic relationship. It doesn't Yeah, all that stuff where my exit at the time was talking down at me, like telling me that nothing, that my drag's not valid, that I should just stop talking, and you know that anything I had to say wasn't no one kid or anything. So coming out of that relationship, I was really, like I guess you would say, like broken and like not confident at all. So like finally trying to build my confidence back up as like in Dragon Out Drag and you know, just trying to find my voice again and everything my confidence that I used to have. But I guess going onto the show and then being put in this situation, I was still working for it. And there's still that voice in my head of someone that you've you know, that you've loved so much and that you spent years of your life worth just telling you that your shit, that you're worthless, that whatever you have to say doesn't matter. So it's hard to get that out of your head. But yeah, so I feel like that is what it was. But if I were to do anything differently do it again or whatever, I would not let that person still have so much control over me, and especially with by drag and everything, because like the ni' day, it's not worth it, Like I don't know, it's a terrible person.
Speaker 2: But I think what's interesting about what you're trying to say, though, is that when you hear about somebody in a troubled relationship or in an abusive relationship, whether that's physical or emotional, you think that would never happen to you, But if you have found yourself in that situation, you realize it never happens in a straight line like that. It's a gradual thing. You know, it starts with love. Someone said that to me the other day. You know, that's where when it starts with love and then people start to do the wrong thing by you, it's quite confusing, and it does take some time to be able to work it out and work out who you are again so differently. I think you have so much going for you, and I think slowly you'll be able to eradicate that that narrative that someone's created for you, because I think rewards will come your way and you'll see. You know, it's crazy to still have someone holding having that kind of a whole.
Speaker 1: I know it's like, oh, it's not worth it, but like you can't. It's not as easy to get rid of it as you'd want. To you know, like it doesn't happen overnight, and just working for it, still working for it and everything. But like every day I'm getting more confidence coming off of the show. I've gained a lot more confidence, especially in myself and knowing that like I am an amazing drag artist, I am really good at what I do. No matter what people have said to me in the past, it doesn't matter because look at where I am now, look at what I've done, look at what I am doing. So I just need to keep remembering that and keep reminding myself that I am amazing, even if I don't always feel that way.
Speaker 2: You know, you get that you're on a journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, definitely.
Speaker 2: This is such a big universe. I mean it's a big global competition. You know, everyone's watching this show. It's so popular and you know, we may get a series three of this in Australia. Do you have a drag queen that you've worked with or you know who you would like to recommend for series three, like my.
Speaker 1: Drag wife flaw Mia Moore. Have you watched House of Drag. She's on House to Drag season two, Fulow. Guatemala is a beautiful country, I love her so much. You haven't seen it, but I haven't seen it. Watch it. I haven't seen her. Anita's show and Spanky's on it. She's on the same season as Banky. But yeah, so Flaw from Auckland. She's amazing. Yeah, I love her so much. She's like one of my best friends. And she helped me get ready for the show. And she would be she's such great, she's like such a great time and she'd be amazing on it. She would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to play a game with you, which is called shady old lady. You get the question, and if you decide that that's, you know, too shady, you can say I'm going to be a lady and pass on the question because you know, you think it's too rude or to you know, you don't want to answer it. For whatever reason, you can say I'm going to be a lady. So far, this is the fifth episode, and everyone has never said that they're a lady. Everyone's always been shady. But don't let that change the way in which you okay questions. Who was the most talented queen in your series?
Speaker 1: I feel like it was Hetericonda other than myself, Hannah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who was the funniest queen in your series?
Speaker 1: Spanky Jackson? Am I supposed to be saying anything else? Or just Spanky?
Speaker 2: Just Spanky?
Speaker 1: Thank you? Spanky's great. I love her.
Speaker 2: Who did you not like or not get enough time to really get to know.
Speaker 1: Forth first? Because she went home first. I'm just going to say that I've copped out that that's like an easy one went home first. It's not my fault that you suck and you went home first?
Speaker 2: Shady Shady? Who was the messiest queen other than myself?
Speaker 1: We'll go go Beverly. I don't know. I just something messy about her that I love. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Last question for you is who deserved to go? Who did you think deserve to go in this episode overall?
Speaker 1: Like in the challenge?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this with the challenge, Yeah, with the challenge, this whole this episode, the runway, the challenge, the whole thing. Who deserved to go home?
Speaker 1: I've answered this all like terribly, but I guess me. I've been a lady love. I pick myself.
Speaker 2: Can I just say I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you on the show. I think that you're very entertaining. I will continue to be in your audience and watch whatever it is that you're going to do next. And I hope that you get a chance to work on your confidence because I genuinely think you have a lot going for yourself.
Speaker 1: Thank you, No, yeah, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Thank you for working progress. It's a working it's a work in progress.
Speaker 1: Like, thank you so much. Yeah, thank you