Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Fromes.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 3: Flex and Frooms on cater You know when you have those moments in your home where if anyone caught me doing this, I don't want to be seen like this. I got home from the gym and I was like, I want something sweet, So I was huddled at my freezer, nibbling at what do you call those life savers?
Speaker 4: No, my freezer, Sorry, but I was at the fridge, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, the life savers were in the freezer. Yeah, that's the weirdest shit I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? Lifesaver ice blocks? I'm called life savers?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought you meant the actual just the lolly version in the freezer.
Speaker 4: The ice block.
Speaker 3: But it was too cold for me to like, Oh.
Speaker 1: Who can do the highball thing? We unchoked?
Speaker 4: I'm first aid qualified, babes. Of course you are feel free to get injured, Brooks presence.
Speaker 1: I was watching it. Sorry, Dinant, drop your stay. I know I'm gonna say. I went to speaking duck the other night and they're both on the decks and they like jump up and down on the decks and it like my housemate is a lifesaver, okay. And she was like, it looks like they're doing first aid and I couldn't did it like it literally boom boom boom.
Speaker 4: But on the decks do you document?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why do you say it like that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I did, but I didn't put it anywhere because I already Yeah, I didn't really capture it quite well.
Speaker 4: I was in the.
Speaker 1: Special privileges.
Speaker 3: Why not.
Speaker 1: Maybe a bit of a late minute yeah, last minute invite. But I'll take your voice, okay, for all I've done for the community, here's the party. Frou meno boom mmmy les mom, you're listening to flex and rooms on kata. I think we can all be a bit more empathetic and caring in this sick, sad world. Perhaps some of us have forgotten that peace of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 1: We need to be nice to each other. Let's heal the world together. I came across this TikTok from a music called Yes Garrett at Yes Garrett, and his TikTok made me stop in my tracks and reconsider the way that I deal with and treat spiders. Play it Brokee, thanks for this question.
Speaker 2: So by spiritual practice. I mean something that moves you from wherever you are into greater compassion, piece and presence. And this little movement of thought with the spider fits that, because you're moving from indifference or more honestly, fear into compassion, and you're moving from the past or future into the present. This fits with what in Buddhism is called meta meditation, which is a practice of compassion where you start with yourself and move outward and ever expanding layers like ripples. So you hold yourself in compassion, then you hold in compassion someone that you love than an acquaintance, than a stranger, than someone that you hate have resentment for, and then all humans, plants, and animals.
Speaker 1: It goes on.
Speaker 2: The last thing I want to mention that makes this a practice is that it's not that the feelings of compassion come first and then you act. It's that you start to act and then the feelings of compassion come up.
Speaker 1: Wow. My initial thoughts when watching this TikTok was yeah, I actually get it. It's like how I started to be more mindful about my recycling journey. I've got a Fogo food and organic waste bin. I fill it up every week, and then I go and put it into the communal How do I say, combos bin that I seem to be the only person in the twelve part apartment block that is using this bin. But that's fine. That actually sounds like shade, doesn't it? When I really do need to have compassion for the other residents. It actually is a bit of a slog creating this smelly bin in your kitchen to then take out. But I will say since entering this journey of recycling, I have become a little bit more compassionate generally, and it's made me slow down and actually like sit and sift through my bin. Sift through my recycling bin, go down, take it out, and it gives me a little sprite in my step knowing that I'm contributing in a positive way. Will it make a difference? Yeah, to be seen, very small percentage of recycling gets recycled apparently, But I'm just happy to be making a positive difference in my mind. Do you relate to this at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just happy to hear you speak.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, how else did.
Speaker 4: That resonate with you? Only with recycling?
Speaker 1: I get it with small animals, but it where's a spider come in, Like, for example, if there's a spider in my shower. I did Like the other day, I was washing my face in the basin and there was a little fly that had like obviously been a little bit wet before, so it struggling to get out. And it was a real moment of like, I want to wash my face and I want to get out of here. I have a decision. Do I drown a little bug or do I help it out? That's going to take maybe a middle or two and I'm going to get like the bug juice on my hands. I don't know what I did in that moment.
Speaker 3: I can't actually confirm nor deny, but I had the thought, and the thought is what counts, and usually there should be a corresponding action.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like this.
Speaker 3: I feel like if I'm going to implement this, it's not going to be on the small thing, it's going to be all the big things, such as like I feel like where I can be really good at being compassionate in ways people don't expect is that I am opinionated, but I'm not that judging and I give people the benefit of the doubt a lot until they cook it, And I think what I struggle with is that rebuilding after I've given some of the benefit of the doubt. Like I really struggle with compassion there because I don't think that people recognize and none of us do.
Speaker 4: None of us know the lengths that people have to.
Speaker 3: Go through to deal with us, right, Like, how accommodating somebody else has to be to deal with us, How agreeable they need to be, how open minded they need to be, how comforting they need to be, how reassuring. We just assume that we're just pleasant people to deal with and everybody else is terrible. But I think in a lot of instances where you build relationships with people, whether it's professional, familiar, or romantic whatever, and you're like, this is really hard and I'm trying, and I'm trying, and I'm trying, and I'm trying.
Speaker 4: I want to try anymore, and now I'm bitter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's where I'm like, oh, so much works for me to do that, and I can't be bothered. But I would rather start working on that than saving a bug. Wow, the bug gotta die.
Speaker 4: The bug gotta die. So I'm not beefing eternally with people.
Speaker 1: I like the idea though, that compassion breeds compassion, and that you don't have to feel compassion for the bug to start the journey of becoming more compassionate. Full stop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so true, flex and frooms.
Speaker 1: That't a best What did you I have come across an article on the internet which is peaked my interest for multiple reasons. I want to speak it a lot today about dating. Seems to come up a bit on the show. Obviously it's my brain by requests and demand. Of course, of course there's no personal interest. And I read this article by the cut. The title is ghosted by an app. Dating apps gave us new paths towards love, but more and more band users think they've also given us new channels for revenge user when you're deleted off the app by the app, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You're scaring an article for the first time, she read a headline. She read a by a line.
Speaker 1: So apparently certain people are getting kicked off hinge and the like, and they're trying to contest why that is. And they believe that there've been the victims of a revenge report.
Speaker 4: Oh, a great phrase, revenge reports. I'm sure that exists.
Speaker 1: And they're saying that you know, I've obviously dated multiple people for the platform. I've broken up with them, I've hurt their feelings, They've reported me. And it's a very tricky gray area because obviously some people need to be taken off the app for behaviors, But what happens when you've just pissed off one too many people and they've gathered together, they've banned together to dismantle your ability to go onto the app.
Speaker 3: We need the AI jury, yeah, but also maybe we need a function not like previously dated, because that would be cooked. Imagine if you went on someone's profile there's like a previously dated section of blurred out images and you get like taps unlock, you pay thirty five dollars one person, but something.
Speaker 4: Like you know on LinkedIn.
Speaker 3: I don't use it often, but you can endorse people for things. Perhaps introducing that kind of function when you can endorse someone and say like, yeah, that was a good conversation, that was a good date, and then we can balance the scalust a little bit.
Speaker 4: Or alternatively, if they got a.
Speaker 1: Little strike, I reckon bring in a star system like Uber. Oh that means you're not gonna like be mean to people given them.
Speaker 3: Maybe you might just be like, muddy, is the process right? Because uber like before we found out what the stars actually met, people were flippant.
Speaker 4: Fu.
Speaker 3: You know, you didn't like the way the car looked it was a one star. The car was silver one star.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Look, our producer Brookie apparently has actually been banned. Can you tell us a storybook?
Speaker 5: So I was banned on Tinder and it was for making a joint account with my best friend.
Speaker 1: Called Dick and Daddy.
Speaker 5: Oh so it's giving absolute nonsense.
Speaker 4: Of course I's a fight for you. But do you know what the interesting thing is?
Speaker 5: Now that I'm single again and I've tried to make an account, I put in my mobile number and it's coming up that I'm still banned. So every time I try to make a new account, I'm currently using one of my friend's numbers.
Speaker 1: Babe, shout out to your friend. Same thing happened happened with me with de Pop, I'm banned off dat.
Speaker 4: She's a circular economy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, be careful what you do on an app and read the terms and conditions.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a threat as well, you know, like there's no criteria for banning or reporting someone. You could just see your ex you want to mess with their day, and then report them and it's game over.
Speaker 4: So I don't know what to heed, but just know it's a trend that's popping off.
Speaker 1: Just be wary. This is flex and froomes.
Speaker 3: Are we being punished for trying to improve our consumption habits? It's the question we're answering today on flex and frooms. Now, we could talk in a thousand different ways about overconsumption and it's effecting the environment, but realistically we're just here to.
Speaker 4: Get to just the tip of these topics. Now.
Speaker 3: I saw this TikTok by this creator called Sweet like underscore Honey with three wires, who was talking about how their account on Asos got banned out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of me.
Speaker 3: When we find out the reason why their account actually got banned, I think we're gonna be very confused.
Speaker 4: Or are we listen to this?
Speaker 6: This is a message for a sauce. I literally woke up this morning and tried to get into my asous account and I couldn't. It had been blocked due to suspicious activity. So I actually thought someone's been on my account and ordering stuff and basically I went on the chat and everything like that, and they basically said that they're going to escalate it. And I've just been found out that my Asos account has been blocked, but absolutely no reason at all, just no reason. They couldn't offer me any information. Rang heead office. They told me to get back in touch on live chat with a manager. Got in touch with a manager and they basically told me they'd blocked my account because I'd returned too many items. So I return items in pristine condition, like I will literally try it on and if it doesn't suit me, I will send it back. And I don't do that all the time. I literally do that as and when like a normal person does. Anyway, there is no way to get in touch with any by phone or anything else. The managers basically said, the specialist team has made the decision. You can't speak to the specialist team. They're just going around blocking accounts where they feel that people have made too many returns. I pay for premier delivery and I've been an Asos customer for years.
Speaker 3: In summary, girl gets account blocked on Asos for having returned too many items. Now I understand that when the online shopping craze got to this maximum point of saturation. A lot of us have to recommend this idea that it's someone to have to buy someone for cheap and then just donate it if it doesn't work out for us, that there are there is a way to return it. And do you know what happens when things get returned.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't Some companies burn them, some companies put them in tkmax, TJ max.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that. But here's the thing, right, I can see both perspectives.
Speaker 3: From the corporations perspective, it might look like she's doing the classic buy it where return it win win, you get your outfit, picky, you save a bit of money, everybody wins. And from her perspective, she's thinking, okay, I do buy a lot, but because of how much I buy, I'm now returning what I'm not wearing so it can go on sale again. I don't know how it works, or so it avoids ending up in land film in this instance. Do you think it was the right approach for me? Is she being punished for habits? Or is this should there be a wake up call for her?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't know what happens to the clothes when you return them, because I have a feeling maybe they're burnt. As you say, I get what it's like. It's annoying. I must be annoying when someone returns something. It's a lot of admin for said brand.
Speaker 4: But it's an option that they provide exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's why I would shop on aesos is because I like to return things because often they don't fit properly.
Speaker 4: And now you're at risk of having your account banned.
Speaker 1: I would hate that.
Speaker 4: Because you use the service they provided.
Speaker 1: And like a sauce, you know you you know when you're getting it, like it's got They've got good communications. So I'm surprised by this all element. I'm banned off deepop and I've escalated this because I accidentally bought something off platform. I didn't know that was illegal, but of course it is, because that's.
Speaker 3: Not the classic oh here, let me bank transfer you literally criminal.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that wasn't allowed. And yeah, I've reached out to multiple sources.
Speaker 3: But I have provided an email also no reply, no reply, and that's okay. What I will say is I think it would be nice to know if we can talk to a few Australian retailers, a little iconic, a little chowpo maybe a little bit beginning at boutique Princess Polly, what do you do with the returns?
Speaker 1: Yeah, please get in touch. You're listening to flex and Rooms on kater as a do I Say follower told me the other day after posting a video inside my house I am living in Scholar.
Speaker 3: The Sydney and also a comment from someone who likes you. I know it just has to stop.
Speaker 1: The boundaries are very unclear and yeah, as we know, there is a rental crisis. Am I letting it affects me? Yeah? Okay, I'm a regular person. I do regular person things and if that includes having a house without a balcony in a high density suburb near the beach, I'm living in the heartends and suffer.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm just like you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the other day I was posting about bins on my story. I was talking about how I didn't think my apartment had a compost bin.
Speaker 4: I remember this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I then went into the backyard for the first time ever and I saw there was a compost bin. Okay, I've been living in the house for a few months. I put the compost spin on my story, right. And then a chick messages me and says, I live in that same apartment.
Speaker 4: No, this is already too close to home.
Speaker 1: I hate there, And I said, turns out we live opposite each other across the hall. I haven't once seen her. The apartment has about.
Speaker 3: She follows you like she knows frooms loves in my building exactly.
Speaker 1: I think it dawned on her that I live in the building because we hadn't seen each other. So she's like, oh my god, she's in Squalor mansion.
Speaker 3: She's a resident of Squall Capital, paying one grubby growth.
Speaker 4: If you turn right.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm potentially putting our neighborly arrangement into disrepute. It is sorry, but unfortunately this is what happens when you have a radio show. I get home the other night at eleven pm, I had been out with friends, opened my apartment and not to dock myself, but the apartment stairs are carpeted, right, it's giving nineteen seventies. The carpet stings of cigarettes at the best ways I always always I walk in, I think, oh, that smells a little a little more than usual, right, And I immediately pinned it on one of the apartments below.
Speaker 4: Immediately there's just immediately I found the culprit.
Speaker 1: There's an apartment in my block that sometimes gives off a weird vibe, and I thought maybe they've been cooking something strange. It then dawned on me perhaps somebody has died. That is the level of logical conclusion, the level of stench coming from this apartment block. Then I think, maybe someone's died and they've chopped them up and put them into a pot and they're boiling them, and that is the scent. I continue up the stairs.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's like hot.
Speaker 1: It was a hot, rancid stench. And I thought of myself, is this what human bodies smell like? Because I've heard that there's a smell that here. Yeah, and it was giving that. I then walk up to my level and I do a little cursory scam.
Speaker 3: What do I see on the floor? A bin bag full of rubbish? Is a plastic bin bag? Is this like a repurposed grocery store bin bag? Is it a fifty two liter black one with the yellow tie straps?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 1: This is a fifty two liter okay, but not black? So I can see through it. It's a rancid mess. This thing is full and it seems almost a bit wet. It is outside their door at eleven PM on a Saturday. Okay, I cannot actually properly describe the smell. It was so bad that it was permeating down two levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they got it out of their apartment, and then I can't go to the bin right now.
Speaker 4: But I can't have the smell in my house.
Speaker 1: And it was a hot day. It's really hot. I walk into my apartment. Why can I still smell it?
Speaker 4: And it's glued onto the walls. Then you can't wash that off.
Speaker 1: In that moment, the frustration that I felt was too was like offset by the fact that I have a relationship with this one on the internet parasocially. Parasocially, I actually don't know. I couldn't tell you what she looks like. But she's a follower, so she's a friend of mine. Okay, potentially I'm going to lose the follow with this story. But literally, so I'm thinking, oh my god, like that was crazy. Obviously maybe that no, okay, but I just thought that's super scary. Anyway, Why do I get a message from my housemate right now. It is a photo of their rubbish yet again outside the door.
Speaker 4: Well this is a bit better though. It looks like is this it's a box of like Hello Fresh, just a box.
Speaker 1: But my housemate says, so smelly, sad face smelly. So there's something in the bin that they've put outside. What's going on? Guys? Respectfully, we all living in an apartment. Considered taking the bin out and just putting it on the doorstep before you go out the next day. I've considered that. Okay, of course, maybe I've done it in apartment that is an open air block with tiles. I would never do it in a carpeted, closed in environment. What do I do?
Speaker 3: I damn stressful feeling violated in your own home because I can imagine from their perspective they pay rent to be there as well, and I'm sure the rent covers a few of those common areas. Yeah, so if it is their prerogative to leave their bins there for twelve hours and move them, then perhaps it is. I think that what can happen if you start to put a lot of jurisdiction around what they can and can't do, You get yourself a nipicky neighbor facts and you do you want that vibe?
Speaker 4: I don't think you want that vibabe.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to bring the Karen into the home environment.
Speaker 4: So I'm sorry that's happening to you. That's so frustrated.
Speaker 1: Rip my nose and the noses of my fellow tenants.
Speaker 4: Leave a note, hey, babe.
Speaker 1: I mean if I wasn't doing this segment, I'd leave a note then I just different, like writing chicken scratch put her off the scent. But yeah, we'll see. Maybe you should listen to this and change your ways. Either way, love having you Their women redacted, but yeah, common courtesy. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 6: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.