Speaker 1: I've always admired the discipline, the skill, the dedication that it takes to become a black belt. It really is one of those achievements that requires full commitment, both from a mental and a physical perspective, and a huge part of that is mindset. So what if we could get in the mind of someone who had not one, but two black belts in two different martial arts to understand how their mindset, training and teaching could now be applied into your life. Well, we're going to get that opportunity next with a martial arts legend, a cancer survivor and truly inspiring public speaker. Then we're going to talk about consuming pre workout, whether you've been thinking.
Speaker 2: About using it or you are using it and you're.
Speaker 1: Not sure if it's what you should be doing. We're going to dive into that a little later with a question from Kate, just a quick.
Speaker 3: Question about pre workout. Been a bit hooked on it and I just want to know how to get off of it, Is it worth it, and any other tips that you might have if there's a better option pre workout.
Speaker 1: It really is one of those polarizing subjects that I get a lot of questions about that's going to come up a little later on the wood Life, but now let's get into the mindset of a martial arts champion. Our next guest is a black building karate a kickboxing badass, a mindset coach, an author of ten Seconds of Courage at Nadine Champion.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the WOODLFE.
Speaker 4: Thanks Sam, I'm really happy to be here today.
Speaker 2: So let's start at the start.
Speaker 1: Tell our wood Life listeners how your journey has come about and how you became a mindset coach.
Speaker 4: I started doing martial arts when I was a little kid, so I was ten years old, and you know, I found out very quickly that it's not just the physical part of what we do. And that's for I'm sure yourself and your listeners as well. It's not just what we do physically. It's all of the thoughts that we have and the feelings that we bring into what we do. So I discovered quickly that there was a lot more to my pursuit my sport in martial arts than I thought there was. So I became really passionate about learning about that. I watched the Karate Kid movie and decided that this is what I wanted to do with my life, and then I founded mister Miagi about ten years later, and he was incredible teacher. His man named Benny the Jeti Kidas, world famous martial arts master. He's a living legend, and I've devoted twenty five years of my life to learning what he calls internal training. So that's the mental edge that you then apply to all aspects of your life. But it's also teaching how to deal with emotions, which I think is something that is really important these days because emotions have become really heightened in the last few years, and also bringing out each person, whether they're a martial artist or not, bringing out their fighting spirit, because I think we're all fighting for something, and often the most important fight for any of us to win is the one in our own minds.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely if we don't get past that battle, the other battles we don't have much success with. How young were you when you realized it was mindset and how much work did you do on the mental side of things versus the physical side of things for your own personal performance.
Speaker 4: I think I didn't understand what it was that I was experiencing when I was very young, but I could see how it definitely played a role as I went into my teenage years. I don't know how your teenage years were, but my I'm a little bumpy, so you know, I learned what it was to be able to do a really good job mentally and achieved things. And I also learned what it was to come undone mentally and not achieve things. So I think those experiences were really helpful. And then re experiencing them going through life, learning that lesson over and over again. It gave me a good foundation in it. And then I met somebody in you know, in my sense sense, a men's teacher, and he explained me to me. And that was the thing that I found really interesting. As a young woman in a male dominated sport. I would cry. Someone would hit me in the nose and I would cry. And instead of having, you know, the usual response, which is wipe your tears, princess, get on with it, he would ask me why are you crying? And I'd say, because this happened, well, why are you really crying? And what we got down to he would ask me again and again and again until we got down to because I'm frustrated you've been so mad you want to cry. You know, it's that drive and desire to be better to you know, to be good at something, to find something you can be happy about and proud of that. You know, whether that's your kids, your work, no matter what it is. How do our emotions and our thoughts play into that? Because you know, when we're experiencing frustration or emotion, so much of it comes from our passion for what we do.
Speaker 2: Take us through your journey.
Speaker 1: So you've gone with the help of your sen say your teacher, you've gone to the heights of martial arts. And then what else has happened during your life that has helped sort of shape you as an expert in mindset?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm very honest that you would call me a mindset expert. I'm still a mindset student in my mind you know, I'm teaching and learning at the same time, just like in martial arts. I went through many years of learning, getting my black belts, and competing in martial arts. And I wonder if you will relate to this or your listeners will relate to this. I was in my comfort zone. Even though I was doing very well externally, I had a little voice in the back of my mind that was saying, this is not that hard anymore. Maybe you know, if you tried that thing that you're scared to try, maybe you could do that too. Or you know that voice that asks, isn't there more that I could do? Or is this all there is?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: So I was experiencing that even though externally I was doing pretty well competitively. So I wondered if I could go and do full contact competition. It took me about five years to say that out loud because I did not like getting hit in the face shocker, you know. So I was holding myself back for a long time, even though I wondered maybe I could win a title in that if I was brave enough to go that direction. So I do a lot of work with people on that exact process, going from your comfort zone to courage to actually taking action on it, because that's the part that changes our lives. It's so easy to stay in your comfort zone. Why wouldn't you It's nice in there, But you know, it depends what kind of life you want to have, and I didn't want to have same old, same old. I wanted to try and get the most out of my life. So I went into the kickboxing ring, I won titles, I had a whole new experience, and then right at the peak of my competitive career, I was diagnosed with cancer and I ended up spending six months having treatment for Hodgkins and foma, and everything that I had been through that made me me all of the you know, the competitive success, my business doing really well, all of these external things being a fit and healthy person was gone overnight, and it took me some time to rebuild. But you know, I had some opportunities to do some things that did take me some courage coming out of that situation that really were completely life changing.
Speaker 2: So you drew on all of these martial arts experiences to help you get through such a hard physical challenge.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. You know, everything that you've ever been through has taught you something. If you go back with a pen and paper and write down, this is what I went through. Step two, These are the lessons it taught me. Step three, this is the meaning that I assigned to that moving forward. We've all been through things in our lives. The difference is when you think of what happened, do you go back and go back into the emotions of the moment, because your brain doesn't know whether that experience is happening now or if it happened ten years ago. When you think maybe you lost someone you know, and that wound can be opened again so easily. Your body can't tell the difference. Your nervous system can't tell the difference. So it's not about going back into it and reopening all the emotions. It's about going and changing the meaning of it so that you can use it. So that's it's like taking a resilience lesson that you can use moving forward. So all of the lessons that I'd learn in martial arts I had to use and call on just to show up every two weeks and have chemo. You know, that's that's no fun. So I used to walk down the hallway in the hospital like I was walking out to the ring, you know. I'd put music on and I'd walk in like I can do it, I can do it. I was very, very grateful for the lessons that I'd learned, and I was incredibly grateful for that second voice that I'd programmed into my mind, and that was sense Benny's voice. So, you know, during my final treatment, I was having a bad day, they couldn't put the canular into my arm because all of the veins had collapsed from the previous chemo, and I dropped my bundle. I ran out of the room, tears streaming down my face, and I was like, I'm not having it. I can't do it. I just got to that point where I couldn't take another step that day. And in that moment when I'm sitting in the away in the hospital with tears streaming down my face and people are trying to talk to me and I just wouldn't let them, I got quiet enough to hear that second voice in my head that was since e Beni's voice. See, we all get to program someone else's voice into our heads. Unfortunately, for so many people, the voice in their head is a critical voice. It's an old voice that they learned from somewhere else. So or it's a voice maybe that's gone unchallenged in their own head. They haven't thought to reset it, to use tools, mindset tools to change it. So you know, I'm hoping people who listen to your podcast they're getting good information that they can program into their heads for these moments in life when we really need them the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it, And look, it's very easy I think sometimes for people to hear advice from a mindset perspective and think it's easy for you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: You know, like my situation is, you know, feels enormous, and no one else's situation is the same or is it the same magnitude. And that's not to suggest that other people aren't in more challenging situations than you, potentially, because I'm sure there are plenty out there, but I think it is actually really powerful and reassuring to go that's actually pretty incredible what Nadine did go through, and now she's not only broken through the other side and is unstoppable, but she helps other people gain those same tools and those same strengths. So I'd love for you to sort of share what you think you gained from your martial arts and perhaps your sickness experience that can help other people in their real life experience. And I know you've got a book called ten Seconds of Courage, which I know it is a famous Ted talk, and I'd love to sort of know where that sort of came from and what tips around that you've got as well.
Speaker 4: I can you got it, so coming out of my cancer treatment for that whole year afterwards, I was standing in the rubble of my life and then one of my students over a coffee said do you like TED talks ted X talks? And I was like, yeah, I love them, and she said would you ever do one? And I want everyone listening to ask yourself, if someone gave you the opportunity, would you do it.
Speaker 1: It's funny for a lot of people, they'd probably prefer to be in a ring with someone then have to get up and do a public spec that'sably step that needs to jump in the ring with someone.
Speaker 4: What I didn't know was she was on the organizing committee for tedech Sydney, which is the second largest TED event in the world apart from actual TED. So she put my name in without telling me, and then she told me afterwards they gave me a call. The next thing I knew, And let me preface this by saying, I hadn't done any public speaking since year seven English with mister Gillette. So I was a martial arts teacher. I wasn't a public speaker. So I decided to speak on this concept that I'd used during my cancer treatment that since a Benny had taught me called ten seconds of current, because what I had discovered is everybody's a friend of different things, small through to massive. It's not about comparing fears or experiences. It's just when you feel stuck, when you can't move out of your comfort zone but you really want to, when something's worth fighting for to you, how do you use that little burst of courage to get you going. Because what sense A Benny taught me about the mental edge, whether it's personally professionally, is most people think that they're going to be brave and use their courage at the moment of execution. When the moment comes, I'm going to be brave. But what he taught me is most people make a mistake. The moment to use your courage is when you're standing at the door of the dressing room. You can't walk out to the ring and be brave if you don't actually take that first step and get out of your comfort zone start walking out to the ring. So I talked about the real thoughts and feelings that go with courage and how in order to be brave you have to have that fear. Otherwise there's nothing brave about what you're doing. You know, I shared two really key concepts in that talk. One of them was ten seconds of courage, and the other one was an idea called change your Thinking, which is really a call to arms to deal with your mindset. I decided that I had to point out the difference between knowing an idea, which is the internal, and living out the idea externally physically in real life, because I mean, I read a lot. If I don't act on any of the things that I learn, they're worthless. Because having cancer taught me. People can tell you what to do, like tell you which chemicals to put in your body to save your life. What they don't teach you is how to recover from it emotionally, how to deal with it mentally. And I thought, if this is happening in cancer treatment, is it happening everywhere else? And the more that I checked, I found, you know, people are hungry to learn how to deal with their minds, hungry to learn how to deal with their emotions so that they can take their lives from pretty good to absolutely amazing.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing I'm sure all of our listeners, whether it's getting themselves into shape, whether it's leaving a job that perhaps they're not happy in.
Speaker 2: Whether it's getting out of a bad relationship, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the same mindset principles do apply to all these different facets of life. And even if you start with a little one, what happens, I believe really strongly, is you have to just like you say, you have.
Speaker 2: To take that first step, but start with a little one.
Speaker 1: Start with a little challenge, taking the first step against something that you're not satisfied with in your life. And then, like you say, you get it of your comfort zone, which is where the magic happens, and then it just makes the next time easier. The reinforcement you get when you do it and a good outcome happens, just builds this layer of belief and confidence and positivity around that experience that the next time you're faced with the next challenge, the next fear that you have to overcome, you go, you're a bit more likely to do it you would have been if you hadn't done the previous one, had that success. And you do it, and you do it, and you do it, and you build these layers and then before you know it, things that in your wild as dreams you never thought you'd take on, don't seem that insurmountable and don't seem anywhere near as scary as perhaps they did, and you're taking those on. Is there perhaps key tips that you could give our listeners that you think perhaps they could begin implementing immediately to help them in their life as they're listening.
Speaker 2: To you today.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so. I think one word I would attach to what you were just saying, Sam is experience. The power of experience. Every experience gives you information. Positive experience builds your confidence. An experience that doesn't go so well, it gives you more experience for next time. You know, it gives you valuable information and feedback about the results that you're getting in your life. So, in a practical sense, since it Benny made me do. Like school, he would get me pen and paper, write it down, change the meaning of it on the page. And that's a you know, I took what he taught me, and then I went and looked at the research the science behind it. It's a mental process called encoding. So when I'm sitting down a memory, a belief system, a new way of looking at things, I'm teaching it to myself and I'm locking it into my memory system. So you know, it's not just try and change how you think about it. It's literally write it down, change it to a lesson, give it a different meaning instead of just think the thought and have it be an idea. Brains have a negative bias and a confirmation bias, so they're hardwired to say, if I break my hand, to focus on the problem, and then I'll renew and I'll go, oh, Sam, I broke my hand, and now we're talking about the problem, and you're telling me about when you broke your hand, and we both have focused on the problem. That's very natural and normal and human. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but the difference is, you know, what am I going to do with this? Can I then change the meaning of it? Can I my attention to the three other good limbs that I have in order to get the job done. I love that, to make my dreams come true, to find, you know, satisfaction in my efforts, rather than giving up on myself, because I know I've given up on myself before. We all have as people. And you know, sometimes living with the pain of quitting is way worse than the pain of the broken hand.
Speaker 1: Nadine, thank you so much for sharing both your personal experience and how it's helped you help others. And you can't wait to keep following you and seeing all the great work that you're doing. Thanks so much for Johnny's on the Woodlife.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Isn't it interesting how it so often comes back to your perspective and your attitude and whether or not you have the ability to flip the script. It's always the case, and I do love that. If you want to find out more from Nadine, head to Nadine champion dot com.
Speaker 2: Next up, we're going to tackle what can only.
Speaker 1: Be described as a very polarizing supplement, and that is is pre workout.
Speaker 2: If you've ever.
Speaker 1: Spent time at the gym, or you spent time around people that love going to the gym, you know those Jim Jakie mates, there's a fair chance you've heard about pre workout or you've probably even bought some a use some yourself. So when this question came through, I thought it was an important one to answer.
Speaker 3: Hi, Sam, My name's Kate and I'm from Regional South Australia. Just a quick question about pre workout. Been a bit addicted to it in the past. A personal trainer in the past recommended it. Been a bit hooked on it, and I just want to know how to get off of it, Is it worth it, and any other tips that you might have if there's a better.
Speaker 1: Option, So quickly, just give people a little bit of air heads off about what pre workout is. So it's a you put a scoop of whatever flavor it might be. You know, they're usually chock full of these artificial flavors. It might be bubblegum or guava or watermelon or pineapple. When you put a rather large scoop of this powder from a little plastic container into your drink bottle or into your cup, and your add water and you stir it up and you drink it down, and it's super super sweet. And then it's full of either natural or artificial stimulants to get you up and about and highly energized, you know, garana and lots of caffeine and all these other sort of things. So they're not all the same. I think that's important. And the idea behind it is, now that I've taken this pre workout, as it kicks in, as I'm starting my workout, I have more energy about a workout, perhaps for longer or harder, you know, get more reps in, push myself a little bit harder, lift it a little bit more weight because I'm feeling really focused and really energized, and the blood's pumping and all that kind of thing. So those that love pumping iron in the gym a lot of the time are huge fans of pre workout. They feel that it gives them a better workout, you know, and better performance, and they kind of stuff for your benefit, Kate, you have to ask yourself the question, am I addicted to the pre workout or am I addicted to the feeling? And that could be the feeling of working out or is it the feeling of only working out when I'm on the pre workout? And I think for you, you probably need to differentiate between the two and just try different things. You might try to stimulate yourself with a banana and a black coffee and see if you get the exact same rush, the exact same feeling. Do you feel like you're working out to the same level. If the answer is no, then perhaps pre workout is okay for you as long as you maintain safe dosages and you're not having any bad ramifications or side effects, you know, like heart palpitations or anything like that.
Speaker 2: If you feel like you're in control, it gives you a good workout.
Speaker 1: You keep to the normal dosage, and it really is that feeling that it gives you that you're addicted to.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: If you can get all of that from a black coffee and a workout, I'd definitely just go the black coffee and the workout. The other issue with them, and this is probably going back to the addiction point of Kates, is you tend to build up a tolerance to it. So you know, you might start with the dosage that's on the container, you know, one scoop with water, mix it up, drink it down, and then two weeks later, after doing that every day of every workout, just before you train, you're finding that's not having the same impact. So you increase it, and you increase it as you build up the tolerance, and then you probably start and consume some not so healthy levels. So the other thing I'd say to you, U, Kate, and it's like anything, you don't necessarily need to go cold turkey with it.
Speaker 2: If you're finding that you.
Speaker 1: Perhaps not sure about whether it's doing you any good or not, which it sounds like is your case, just wean yourself off it, reduce how often you take it, reduce the dosage, make sure you're just staying hydrated and energized with lots of water and good nutrition, and then see if it's making a difference, and slowly but surely you probably.
Speaker 2: Can reduce it or remove it completely.
Speaker 1: And I bet you.
Speaker 2: Don't notice that much of a difference.
Speaker 1: So my personal opinion is it probably how it's place. It's not something that I love taking or I love recommending as a trainer. But if you do feel like it really helps you have a good workout, a quality workout, it gets you up and about and gives you energy, that's probably okay. But as long as you're taking it in the right dosage, and you shouldn't feel like you're dependent on it, You shouldn't feel like you can't do the workout unless you have it.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't feel.
Speaker 1: Like you need to have more than the recommended dosage, and you shouldn't feel like having a banana and a black coffee isn't an adequate substitution to still get a great workout in and get on your day. And I think if you get to that balance and that control, you're probably fine. But if you are looking for a pre workout option, I'd definitely go for the one with the more natural ingredients. And you also should look at the sugar content as well, because if all of that crazy burst of energy is just because you're chocking yourself full of heaps of sugar and heaps of artificial ingredients, and that's not necessarily something you want to do. If it's a natural high from cafe and natural ingredients and there's not too much sugar or no sugar in there, that's definitely going.
Speaker 2: To be a better option.
Speaker 1: It so, Kate, I hope I wasn't sitting on the fence too much with that one. The pre workout question really is an interesting one. Anyone else that's got any questions I'd love to hear from you, please send them in. There's a link in the show notes. And of course I'll be back on Monday for another motivational moment, and you can always listen to the Woodline for free on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you guys soon.