Speaker 1: Get a Peter Helly here, Welcome to you Ain't seen nothing yet the Movie Podcast. We're our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved film they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests Funny Bugger, beer enthusiast Brettlake.
Speaker 2: All below.
Speaker 3: I want to stay here with you.
Speaker 2: Get the jobble my hat, snake shucked my hail.
Speaker 1: They couldn't have.
Speaker 4: A a right.
Speaker 5: So you ain't seen nothing new.
Speaker 1: You're gonna love this episode of Yasney with Brett Blake. Brett Blake has been tearing up the stages stand up stages around Australia for a few years now. He's a mulleted genius. He's got a mullet that it's a serious one. It's a very serious mullet and he's not mucking about. He would have seen him kill at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Gala supporting his comedy festival shows over the years. He may have seen. He's a standup special Bergan genius available on Paramount Plus. He's got one out now which is going gangbusters. As we would say, thousands of thousands and thousands of people growing every day on YouTube go hard or Go Home. Check that out. It's very very funny. A couple of podcasts Flat Sticks with his good mate Nikappe. If you love motorcycling, Blakeie is very serious about motorcycling, and also another one with recent Yasney guest Brian Lewis, Very funny. Bron Lewis with work hates where they I think they're basically shit on their old bosses, their old jobs, talk to other comedians about the shitty jobs that we do. He actually it's a fascinating chat, this one because he actually works in the industry, both on stage and off stage. He works in the lighting department. He does various films and TV series and he still does and he loves it. For this episode, it feels different than most other episodes because he's such a straight shooter. There's no bullshit, you know, it's as seen on the packet. No other guest has spoken his own truth about various films and artists than Brett blake does on this episode. Blakie is straightforward, he's got no bullshit policy, and he's funny as fun He's probably there's a delightful bloke as well, and I'm stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 6: Good day, guys. One name's Brett Blake. My three favorite films are Men of Honor.
Speaker 2: Shin down.
Speaker 5: We have every cook and shine boy in this camp thinking they'll be next to try a stunt like this.
Speaker 4: So you listen up.
Speaker 2: Don't bring him up till he stops building.
Speaker 1: You're dead now, sir, do.
Speaker 5: Kill he stops.
Speaker 2: Movie Chief terminated too. I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle.
Speaker 1: You forgot to.
Speaker 2: Say please and John Wick Evening.
Speaker 7: John Evening, Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Noise complain, noise complain. Okay, what fuck you are working again?
Speaker 6: No, I'm just sorting some stuff out.
Speaker 1: Oh olive, you be there.
Speaker 6: On John, Jimmy, And up until this week, I had never seen the movie The Jerk.
Speaker 7: My story, Okay, it was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days sitting on the porch with my family, singing and dancing down in Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Yes, before there was Forrest Gump, there was Navin Johnson, a simple minded white man growing up in a Southern African American family, praying one day to fit in. But to do so, like Forest before him, he must go on a journey of self discovery where he discovers his special purpose love fame, fortune, and infamy. Nineteen seventy nine. The Jerk is considered an American comedy classic and was the big screen debut of comedy megastar Steve Martin. The Jerk is a perfect combination of Martin's stand up and a glimpse into the career that lay ahead for him. Written by Steve Martin, directed by comedy heavyweight Carl Rainer, The Jerk is a place in many a comedy fans heart Brett Blake, did you grow up a poor black child?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I could not relate to that story at all.
Speaker 1: You're like, why did I choose this movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean it was a very funny film.
Speaker 6: I did enjoy it, but I think, yeah, well, we would get into it later, but I feel like it might have been not of my era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there's a big discussion to have about that, and we will get to it. Why hadn't, Well, why did you choose The Jerk? So I give you? I gave you a list like I do or guests of the show. Sometimes people know that exactly the movie, they haven't scene and that they be mean the seat for a long time. Others have to peruse the list and find one. How did you come to the jerk?
Speaker 6: I wanted something that would be fun to talk about, so I was like comedy, and on that list there was like so many black and white films.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm not watching a black and line.
Speaker 6: As soon as I see that or any like when they put subtitles, I'm like, yeah, I'm going to fucking read a book. I don't want to sit down and relax anything black and whites out. And then they had like there was like two David Lynch films. I was like, yeah, I don't want to lose three years of my life watching a fucking film. The David Lynch films confused the funk out of me. I went to film school. They're the worst films ever made. No one has ever watched the David Lynch film and gone, oh, I get it, let's move on. Therefore, like tay students who want to fucking root chicks and drum circles, I swear to God that is all.
Speaker 2: Is this a kid's podcast?
Speaker 1: I hope not. No.
Speaker 6: I can't stand David Lynch films, and they're annoying me.
Speaker 2: And there was there was a baz lermin one on there. Oh my god, I didn't want.
Speaker 6: To have an epileptic fit that guy made. There's too many carts in a film. Could you watch Elvis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one.
Speaker 6: Has finished that film. It was like, it's like seven. It's like someone strapped to go pro to a cat and just let it go. Worst director ever.
Speaker 1: Wow, Brett Blokes come out swinging.
Speaker 2: Man, name a good film is done?
Speaker 1: I would I would say Robo and Juliet was a for its time, combining the you know, the Tarantino kind of stuff with the great Bard was a good one.
Speaker 2: What do you think of Australia?
Speaker 1: Australia was not good. I actually tried to watch recently because they divided it up into episodes on Disney. Oh they cut it up yeah, six, so it's six or eight episodes. And even then I found it because I thought I should revisit it, and I found it. I really like baz Lerman. I'm more sympathetic to the filmmaker than perhaps you are.
Speaker 2: It's like, just pick a show and stay with it. Man.
Speaker 6: Elvis I tried three times. I love the story of Elvis. I want to watch it, but I'm like I tried on the movies. I walked out there, I watched it on a plane. I was like, I can't even cope with it on this small screen, like I've got ady HD and it was.
Speaker 2: Too much for me.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, it's like.
Speaker 6: Just just settle down. You must have thirty cameras rolling all the time.
Speaker 1: Listen. He has his own stamp where it's like this is a Baz Luman film and it's one. He's one of very few Australian filmmakers that I think has that kind of stamp. I think George Miller might be another one, but George Miller will still like do different kinds of films. That's it's one of those very few Australian filmmakers where I think for a lot of people, he's an appointment to view. Like when he comes out with a film, it's like, okay, I'm going to see that, where others, like even George military an extent, like you know, I love Mad Max and all that, but I didn't see the thousands of year longing that one between the last Mad Mexican in the new one.
Speaker 6: Do you want something else? I had about bas Lemon. I heard that because I work in the film industry. I'm a lighting technician by trade. Originally, that's my my little crust.
Speaker 1: Have you been fired off a Bas Lemon film?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't.
Speaker 6: I would never work on one. He would fucking do my heading. I don't think he's another ones I've.
Speaker 2: Done in bats. I don't think I heard that.
Speaker 6: He even like so save he's doing Australia, he'll gut his whole house and redecorate it with Australiana things. So he's constantly in that mind space of that, and I just fucking hate that ship. It's like, just roll the camera. You've got a little fucking storyboard.
Speaker 2: You don't need to be in.
Speaker 6: I just hate all that wank you know, just fucking hit record, can't you know?
Speaker 2: I just hate all that shit, that Hollywood bullshit. I'm an artist. Fuck off.
Speaker 1: But don't you think, like if the runs are on the board and he's achieved, but what leveless success? Like, Like if he's doing that and he cannot still get a film up, I'd be like, yeah, maybe give me.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying, give up because he's done, Like Australia sucked.
Speaker 2: Elva sucked. He did strictly bareroom though, didn't he I'll give him strictly borom.
Speaker 1: Ye, strictly bare room into Romeo Juliet.
Speaker 2: I couldn't stand that, just too much, Oh my lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then what was it Australia after that, he's sitting on thirtytri I'm missing one. I think Elvis was a hit. Was it was actually commercial? Hit?
Speaker 2: Commercial?
Speaker 1: Great Gatsby also been missing, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great Gatsby, couldn't watch it.
Speaker 1: I would have in my list. I'd have Romeo.
Speaker 2: Juliet in your top two.
Speaker 1: I think Elva second, really third, Okay, try for you. That's me, that's me, bast blow and that's not my overall.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not gonna say I'm on the wrong podcast. Overall.
Speaker 1: I've come in swinging, and my three favorite David Lynch films are.
Speaker 2: Man I tried.
Speaker 6: I got the when I went to because I started in film school and then I was like I wanted to out of high school, like I wanted to be creative and like people to think that.
Speaker 2: I was a film buff.
Speaker 6: So I bought all the David Lynch films and I try to fucking watch him.
Speaker 2: And this is like my holand Drive.
Speaker 6: There's like a dude Jack and his dick off in the fucking wardrobe or something. I'm like, this is too much. And then we had to write a thing about it, and I was like I had to go on the internet.
Speaker 2: I was like, I watched it three times. I don't know what's going on. They're like Blue Velvet. I was like, oh, wrap it up, you know, I just couldn't. I couldn't. Has it No one has watched that film and gone, yeah, I get it. I was.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the I quite enjoyed a SmartLess podcast with Willatte, Jason Bateman, and Sean Hayes, and they finally that brought up. Recently, they revisited Blue Velvet and they kind of got it. It was like, ah, weirdly say that because I just listened to it recently. They're like, oh, okay, this this feels differently. And now I'm watching when I'm older, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's a lot to rewatch.
Speaker 1: I've been meaning to go back and watch Blue Velvet again because I was a bit Yeah. The one that I kind of enjoyed the most might have been Lost Highway.
Speaker 2: I got through Lost Highway. I liked Lost Highwai.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had feel like a bit more of a structure to a pass. Yeah yeah. But yeah, Well, let's talk about your three favorite films. Well, I can remind people that you do actually love movies.
Speaker 2: I watched I watch a lot of films.
Speaker 1: And you've worked on sets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've worked on Aquaman.
Speaker 6: I was actually meant to work on gats but I forgot that, but I didn't get up there to Queensland in time. And then most stuff that's shot here I.
Speaker 2: Work on as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're in the beers, both on screen and off screen. Yeah. Now, but men of honor, the men of honor? Am I right to keep it gooding? Junior?
Speaker 2: Keep it gooding Junior? And Robert de Niro? Yes, yes, it's hard to.
Speaker 6: I couldn't just go these are my top three favorite films because I love so many films, so you want to, so I had to. I came up with a good reason for each of them, and that's what determined my top three because really, if I was going to say what my favorite film would be, it would be because I just laughed the whole way. Yeah, you know, Ice Puck into wood Nutsack.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. I get it, you know what I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 6: Confused by the end of it going through the fus David Lynch, what do the colors representing this fucking scene or whatever? But Men of Honor I watched with my pop and my pop was into Like my pop was in the Navy, so he loved anything Navy and I love watching movies with my pop.
Speaker 2: Would watch it together, So that's one.
Speaker 6: But also it was the first time I really saw someone who was like oppressed and then overcome it. And I'd love those narratives in film now as soon as someone like, you know, adversity overcome you know, like I love those two like Coach Carter, anything like that, I just get a stiffy for I love it. I'll cry at the end. It's just they're my favorite type of genres. When someone beats a person who's pushing them down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, and most films should be that to a degree. Yeah. And I just spent you're talking more so where they're like, they're not hiding that they're not there's like that this is this is a crowd pleasing that they are going to take the champon in the end, and win and yeah, so.
Speaker 2: So he was.
Speaker 6: He was, he wanted to be he was a first. And I believe it's based on a true story. I could be wrong. Don't quote me to that. If it says based on a true story, I'm like, it gets me every time. But he was he wanted to be the first African American diver. Basically, he was they wouldn't let black people into the Navy, and then he wanted to be a diver and they wouldn't do that, and he wanted to become.
Speaker 2: A master diver.
Speaker 6: And it's just I don't know, there's just he just keeps getting slapped down, but just keeps staying to what he wants to do and he overcomes it.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, fuck, this is a good film.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Once I saw it in the cinema, Yeah, and enjoyed it. I've never revisited actually, but no, it's a it's a good one. And this one has been mentioned quite a few times in three people's three films toom Out of two Judgment Days, he two, like, I remember seeing it in the cinema. I saw it before us or Terminator. Yeah. Weirdly enough, there was so much hype about this because Guns n' Roses. They were the biggest man in the world and they did it. You could be mine as a special track for it, and it delivered.
Speaker 6: Man that time as well, like when you watch something like of that era Liquid Metal man, you know what I mean, Like that's insane. Everything about the film is incredible, from like top to tail, like Arnie's story, Who's old mate? They directed again James Cameron. It's just a masterpiece and I just love it. It ticks all the boxes for me, you know what I mean. It's got like a dirt bike scene. There's you know what I mean, They're jumping a truck. I'm like, fuck yeah, you know what I mean, Like there's all these gun scenes.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I'm just obsessed with it. I reckon.
Speaker 6: I watched it like three times a year, right, Yeah, that's how much I love it. Me and Nick Kappa, another comic, we spent at least one afternoon a year watching T two again. We even contacted the guy who has the largest Terminator two collections, so he's got the full sized Arnie spent like five to ten thousand dollars building this thing. He's got the cop car, the replica cop car, and he's constantly intact with the main guy who did all the stunts for it as well.
Speaker 2: He's obsessed with Terminator too.
Speaker 1: Have you watched the Arnie series, the three part docco series which one flicks, it's just called Arnie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And he's another one who's like riding around in his bike for a lot of the scenes some of it, Yeah, I think so, it.
Speaker 1: Kind of goes through. The first is about his body building career yep. And then the second bit is about movies, yeah, and then the third one is about his political career.
Speaker 2: It's really probatuned out three. You might either funck about the polities.
Speaker 1: You might like one. I think one is really interesting. This is him from where he came from. Yeah, it's really fascinating. Interestingly about the three he does which I thought was quite good. He talks quite openly, reasonably openly, I would say, about because he had an affair with the nanny and he had a child with the nanny. Yes, And after watching Beckham, I'm not sure if he's all beck and they completely skip over. Really they're just going to say, you know, there's almost no comment, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it was kept cutting to Victorious, like I can't believe he's away from home again. It's like, yeah, i'd be stressed out as well if he was banging everyone, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't know if he was being everyone. But there's a many rumors that he was an affair in Spain, and they that documentary really kind of like grazes over it where I kind of admired that Arnie kind of spoke to it a bit more at the moment. Yeah, I mean his is all in the public where the Beckham one, I guess he's still rumors innuendo where he.
Speaker 2: Had a child with you one's visible, it's visible.
Speaker 6: Hey do you reckon this guy who's eight foot and the biggest human you ever seen is your son? Maybe it was that Blockbuster era, like it was man, Arnie was the guy you're like, fucking hell and James Cameron like when you have you watched the movies that made us?
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, such.
Speaker 2: A great series.
Speaker 6: And he's such a psycho like he's like if it's not there, Builder and even when it comes to like Avatar and stuff, those cameras don't exist. He made those cameras for the Titanic. He made the submarine. Yeah, shit like that, Like the one that he does about Aliens and they're like, oh, we got to do it's going to be animation. He's like, no, no, no, no, I want I want a real one. Yeah, and they're like, how the fuck are we going to do this.
Speaker 1: As much as he is known for the special effects, he still has a lot of visible, real effects. There's better ways of saying it. I forget the term, but yeah, so the actors are working with things. It's not just all green screen. There was obviously a special effects put into all of them, most of his movies, but there's a lot of genuine effects.
Speaker 6: Even like with Avatar, like apparently took everyone to the Amazon Forest just to get him into the know like what it feels like because they're going to be so long in the green screen studio. Yeah, but he's another one who's like he works there because I've worked with some camera assistance that work with him. They're like, man, it's an eighteen hour day. It's the longest day you've ever done. You will make you buy a house at the end of the year. But he's going to ruin you because he knows more than everyone as well, like he's a super smart guy. He's not dumb. He knows everyone's job, everyone's department. So it was definitely Terminator to the helicopter scene that he's is he flowed he couldn't find anyone to fly the copter or something or right, or either he flew it or he was holding the camera. Yeah, right, something insane like no one would cover the insurance, so he just fucking does it.
Speaker 1: He backs his word and he backs his judgment. There's no doubt about that. I believe. Also, the teachero was the original idea that he wanted to do for Terminator, but he didn't have the budget that stage of his career, so he when he got to make it, he's like, Okay, this is what this is what the original vision was. And it's a great flip that you know he's a good guy now and you know he's on the good side. And Linda Hamilton has his transformation in it, which is amazing. Yeah, it's brilliant. And I watched it, well, we did it for this podcast and I but I watched it again outside of that, and it's just it's just great. It's it holds up really well. John Wick, is this like john Wick number one or just John Wick just all films based on is it one better than.
Speaker 2: It's just John Wick one? The first one? Number two is.
Speaker 1: Aw right again, I'd seen one.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's all you need to see one. It's the film I've watched the most out of any film I think, probably on par with Terminated too.
Speaker 2: But I reckon.
Speaker 6: I watch john Wick Moore as soon as I see it. If it's on a plane, I'm like, yep, two rum and cokes, let's go. Like I'm ready, Like I reckon. I've watched it like eighty times, and I don't get sick of it. It's like for films people like sometimes look for too much. It's simple enough for me. His wife died, he's upset, he gets a dog, some Russian dude kills a dog, and then he just goes and fucks people up for an hour. And I'm like, this is awesome, you know. And it's great when you finally go, oh, this villain's gonna get to him or whatever, and even the villain's scared of the main guy, and it just keeps getting deeper and deeper and deeper, and I'm sure it's like a probably a rip off or a mold of some Korean film or Japanese film. But even when he's getting to like the final stages of finding this guy, and there's a scene where he goes to the security, the head security dude who's like the biggest guy ever, and he's like he's begging not to kill, like takes his earpiece out, He's like, do whatever the fuck you want, you know, And then it had like a had a Mustang in it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yes, yes, yes, keep going.
Speaker 6: I love it all you know, guns car he killed the dog and then people respect him for just fucking people up.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I love it. I don't know why I love it.
Speaker 1: It's a brilliant little device to the dog element of it, because it's like, once you kill a dog, the audience is like, you have permission to do whatever the fuck you want now.
Speaker 6: It's a perfect Like someone kills a person, you're like, mm, I mean he probably deserved it, But a puppy You're like, fuck, it just ruins you, you know what I mean, There's something about it. You're just like, nah, you can just do whatever you want now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those films, john Wick has also kind of opened the door like even the Equalizer a lot bit of rave to me about Equalizer three being particularly good.
Speaker 2: It is good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there was a film that Damien Callen then recommended to me on this podcast and I watched it which has kind of got john Wick vibes, is a finish movie called sisu Ah, and it is If you love john Wick Oak and you love this, it's just like it's finished Gold Prospector.
Speaker 6: I saw that on a plane about maybe six months ago.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really good. And the Nazis come, you know, and he just.
Speaker 2: They take gold. Yeah, and then he's trying to get them back, and.
Speaker 6: It's got that full There's nothing better in a scene where you're like, this guy's outnumbered, there's fifty people around him, and then they're still confident. You're like, oh, this is gonna get good, you know what I mean, and he's like he just instantly just destroys.
Speaker 2: All of them.
Speaker 1: You're trying to work it out, how's he going to get out of this situation? Because there's a lot of movies that you watch and you're gonna go, I know, he's gonna get out. There's probably three different ways you can probably get out of the situation. Yeah, something's gonna happen. But Sue's one of those movies where you're gonna go, I have no idea how he's gonna get out of this. Out of this.
Speaker 6: With the john Wicki're like, you can go, well, maybe he could hide behind that couch if they shoot him. The issue was that he was just in like a desert. It's like there's not even a tree, there's no like he doesn't he's got to shovel on him like nothing makes sense that. Yeah, I was once again that was like a can I get some more rum on her plane? I am horny for this film. But I feel like with the john Wick franchise, like it's kept going to like four and it's obviously everything's got to step up. It's like, you know, there was motorbikes that were crazy, then it was the horse scene he had like nun chucks and shit. But I'm like they kind of loses once. I think with franchises it never gets better. Besides Terminator bad example, it gets worse. And I think, yeah two was like had Ruby Rose in it, which.
Speaker 2: Is like what a wild call?
Speaker 6: Like I think you haven't seen too but she's playing a deaf mute, right, but she's deaf, but I don't think. I think originally she was meant to have dialogue, but they saw her act and they're like, let's make a character deaf or mute or whatever, because she's no good in that as well. I'm taking down so many Australians.
Speaker 2: But I'm not wrong, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, so you can't. I cannot confirm.
Speaker 6: She's a beautiful woman who's been thrust into the world of act. She's a DJ originally, and then she popped up in Oranges the New Black, which is whatever, and then she's in this big action film.
Speaker 2: It's like, just get anyone else.
Speaker 1: You know, she did the real moment and she those a couple of years. I'm not sure what journey she's on now.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it's away from acting.
Speaker 6: It's like, I'm gonna have to cut out so much in this episode.
Speaker 1: I'm not cunning any of it, right because I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 2: My career is already ship, so it may as well get worse.
Speaker 1: It is not, it is not. It is up and about. Let's let's get into this movie.
Speaker 4: I brought you a twinkie I'm not hungry right now. Feeling different again, Huh.
Speaker 6: It's like I don't fit in.
Speaker 3: It's like I don't belong here.
Speaker 2: It's your birthday and it's time you knew.
Speaker 6: And even I'm not unnatural born child.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 1: You were left on our doorstep, but we raised you like you were one of us.
Speaker 3: You mean, I'm gonna stay this color.
Speaker 4: Even, I'd love you if you were a color A Babels ass.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not a dry eye in the studio, Brett Blake. Did you enjoy the Steve Martin comedy vehicle directed by Color Ran for nineteen seventy nine, The Jerk.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say yes and no, because it's you've got to We know, comedy doesn't age well, you know what I mean. It's one of those things that it's like it progresses so quickly. Yes, So if I then put myself into nineteen seventy nine, I could see how it would be absolutely fucking incredible, Yes, and would blow your mind. You like, I've never seen anything like this. This guy is an incredible actor, His body is amazing. Everything's funny about it. Yep, you know, I mean they do say the N word a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Yes, nineteen seventy nine, you can say it ninety seven. Well, it's interesting when, like I don't know the history well enough to know how edgy was that at that time. Was it like oh fuck he said it, you know? Or was it like, yeah, people say that white people are still saying that, or they're saying it. When did it become I don't go there. Tarantino used it, you know, in his films, and he stands by kind of recently with you know, the hate plate. The line we played earlier, which is probably the most famous line for the movie, I was born in a small black child. And you're going to go, ah, okay, look, this is this is different. I'm watching it in twenty twenty four. I have seen the film before. When I watched it in the nineties, you're gonna go, ah, this is a different and and watching it.
Speaker 6: Now, Look, do you feel that element was necessary for the film though?
Speaker 1: Like's I just don't think of other films where they've placed a simple and kind of in a different kind of.
Speaker 6: Because he's meant to be family, he's meant to be like a bit of an idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be honest, more more so than any of the reference. I mean, we know now that you don't use the N word and all that, and you do have to trying to transport yourself back to nineteen seventy nine. And I enjoyed the film as a whole, But the thing that kind of got me was the voice, like the symbol the voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, but then he didn't continue with the voice.
Speaker 1: No, And I think what it was was as his life experience became more and more, he became well to do and educated, and he was kind of like a sheltered child, so he kind of spoke, but what didn't make sense in the way.
Speaker 6: Then he comes back to it because he's back to being homeless. It exactly the start of the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was sure if it was him trying like a drunken kind of thing or was it Yeah, he's thermosy. He didn't have any drink on him. You know, I don't think we see him drinking. That was a strange choice, the voice being so.
Speaker 6: And drowned out, and you just like and you're like, okay, this is making a lot of time as well.
Speaker 1: I really found it hard. And when he moved on from that voice, I enjoyed it more, like much more.
Speaker 6: When I turned the film on yesterday, I watched it last night. I was like, if I hope he hasn't doesn't do this the whole time, otherwise I'm turning on David Lynch, you know what I mean, Like I was, and then you're like, okay, here we are.
Speaker 2: This is the thing. And then it's like then it's off and running, yes, you know, and then you go.
Speaker 6: Okay, And I was like, small black, Okay, okay, he's been adopted by a black family. What I did enjoy was there was a gag every minute, you know what I mean. He's not missing anything. He's always constantly funny or doing something silly or doing something with his body. And like Steve Martin may be more relevant to you, but he wasn't too much to me.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you where Steve Martin lives in your comedy world.
Speaker 6: So I knew of him and we saw some of his films, But when I grew up, it was like, now I can see where Jim Carrey come from. Jim Kerrey's like those style of actor you don't really see anymore as well, you know what I mean, A guy who's doing like slapstick and Acevantura and stuff like that. Those are crazy characters and to see someone act in that way for comedy, like it just shows how far or how much comedy has progressed, yep, as in like it's now about more dialogue driven and smaller things, you know, as opposed to just a zany character who's doing zany things. And with the jerk, even like every single thing was thought out. It's like, he can't just be on the road to this big city. He's got to be wearing an aviators, you know, like a plane thing or something. And you're like, okay, there's got to be something every two seconds.
Speaker 2: I've got my name in the phone book. That's a big deal.
Speaker 6: And then someone picks a name at random to kill a guy, and then that guy's.
Speaker 2: Through out there, and I was like, oh yeah again see.
Speaker 1: And with that one, I kind of thought as much as like, yeah, you have to give in to the silliness of the movie. And I have preached for a long time that silliness is underrated. Comedy should never get too serious. But I did watch that and I kind of thought, wonder if there was like if there was just a bit more of a threat, of a reason why this guy really wanted to kill the jerk. It would have been more fun than just picking his name out of it. It just felt too.
Speaker 6: It didn't feel like it was I mean, it might have been that you said it was a very famous director that did that, kin Ye was that one of his first films, Because it didn't feel like it was connected very well, even though the storyline is quite you know, simple, when you think about it, I don't feel like it was.
Speaker 2: Driven very well.
Speaker 1: I think it was basically set piece up to set piece. So this kind of thought and a lot of it was based on Steve Martin's comedy. So this is a really good reflection of I think what the kind of comedy Steve Martin was doing. Steve Martin's the kind of guy. One of his stand up book born Standing Up. He's one of the great stand up reads of all time as far as the artist stand up, and he's got different thoughts about it in a way than I do. One of the famous bits of advice is never waste your first word on stage, like come out on stage? Why would you even say, hey, hey, Adelaide, great to be here, which it's kind of thing I do. Yeah, the first sentence you say, everyone's waiting for that scent. Lot use it. It's a powerful moment. Now, I think that works really well for him, and I don't disagree with him, yep. But what I'm trying to do is I'm trying to create a vibe, like a fun vibe, more so than having to nail a line at second ten of the show, how do you out of interest?
Speaker 6: When I go on, I try and I think I maybe even stole this from Kitty Flanagin because Kitty must have told it to Kappa and she's like, you got to be in a good headspace, and I was like, oh fuck, yeah, that's so right. She's like, do whatever makes you happy just before that, so when you're going out there, like people can tell your mood's good already. But I always start with something that makes me laugh, and I always I start with the same line. I'm like, good day, Agen, And then because it does two things. It makes me laugh because I'm being ridiculous, but also it makes the audience kind of go, we know who he is straight away. He's our loud mouth dick head made from the club. And then you're fucking off and running. So but it also breaks the thing for me a bit as well, because I can be off, Mike can just give it a bit of ham and.
Speaker 2: It's like get a legends. It doesn't.
Speaker 6: It works everywhere, it doesn't Adelaide, I forget where I am.
Speaker 2: Half the fucking time. I'm like, good legend, I'm fucking off and running and I'm happy.
Speaker 6: But would you say, because I haven't watched heaps of Steve Martin stuff, would you say Steve Martin was a traditional stand up or he was.
Speaker 1: More I think he's got avant garde and he like he was basically a lot of prop stuff.
Speaker 2: Is like yeah getting up there and yeah.
Speaker 1: Left the center and yeah he had a parent on the shoulder kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember seeing stuff with that.
Speaker 1: So he was very theatrical and silly. Yeah, he's a different style of comic. Yeah, so this is like and really well written jokes where and more probably jokes as opposed to routines. Yeah, I'm not saying he didn't do routines, but like they're more about jokes. Then you're like a six to eight minute bit.
Speaker 6: I can see how as well, Like he's just like he's just present, like he's very physical, and yeah, like you said before, silly's underrated in comedy sometimes, but I still think there is a place for it. Those were the elements I enjoyed in the film. And he's obviously playing an idiot as well. Even the can scene when the guy's shooting him, Like it didn't really make sense what I was getting shot.
Speaker 2: But it's like this guy hates the.
Speaker 6: Cans, and you're like, yeah, just lean back, lose your ego and have a bit of fun in the moment, you know. And like the stupid thing, like he made his money from the fucking glasses glasses thing, which it kind of pissed me off because I was like, just it needs hooks at the back. Put him at the fucking back, you know what I mean. But it's meant to be silly once again, but it just ended up pissing me off.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it. I like parts of it.
Speaker 6: Some of it could have been a bit more structurally put together, I suppose, but I mean that was his first big film, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he makes dead Men don't wear a plaid and the Lonely Guy. The Lonely Guy really liked the first movie I saw him because he came via Saturday I'm not Alive, so he was SNL. He was SNL and famous Guest, wild and crazy guys. And then the first time I saw him was The Three Megos and I thought.
Speaker 2: I think that's the first time I saw him with Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I love that movie. A lot of people my age, I think love that movie, and I only learned recently that it wasn't a success. First time I saw Martin short as well, and Steve Matin. I knew Chevy Chase through the Vacation films. I loved him in that. But I find Steve Martin fascinating because it can be a leading man and sometimes he often in comedy the leads an idiot, but you put even beer idiots around him. Steve Mutton has this kind of quality, I think, where he can be like a serious character like Father of the Bride's quite serious, but he's still funny. He still finds a way to be funny. Parenthood, great movie that with Karen James in this podcast. He's quite a serious, kind of stress kind of guy, but he's very funny. It's like he's one of those guys where not necessarily the jerk. He became this kind of fun guy when he was like a guy who always took himself a bit seriously, but the world just kept on heaping chaos onto him.
Speaker 2: And seeing how he would react and seeing, yeah.
Speaker 1: Seeing him under stress, and his breaking point was.
Speaker 6: That's kind of good in what He's a great comic, so he can do the leading guy. He can be silly, he can't do that, but also he can just underplay it and let it irritate him that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to see funny and that to see the kind of character he will play in Father of the Bride and Parenthood and then compare it to the jerk and then like even later on Dirty Rod Scoundrels is a really funny film him and Michael Kane, and he's allowed to be silly because you know they're acting to scam people. You know, in the South of France, they just found a vehicle that was like, you can be fully going to that mode if you want for this, and then we'll get you back for the next scene a bit more normal and it would.
Speaker 6: Be I reckon, he'd be like a nightmare to direct as well. I feel like with one of sometimes with actors, you got to go do what you want first, and then I'll come back with notes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and it depends how much you wanted to scale it back. Yeah. And we see in this film he's the ukulele comes out, which he's actually really good uklean and blue grass player, Like he's actually really become quite world renowned. I believe I did. Like there's a lot of jokes in this.
Speaker 2: Gag per minute. I enjoyed the slapstick.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed the craziness of like the characters like that, even that lady who was when he became Patty always just rooting him. But then it came good because I was like where it broke the story and it kind of connected. He goes back to his parents and he's like, oh, I've just got another source of income coming in. Patty's given me. He said, She's promised me a blow job. And it's like, yes, there was a few good like one of those real big bangers in there every now and then yeah, and like the parents like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then there's like one brother going, I know what the fuck that is? You know?
Speaker 1: And when and when and when the love story kind of starts taking you know on we've ben at Pettis, who he was I think dating at the time, and they made another movie together. That kind of also gives it a bit more momentum and you lean in a bit more when that happens. As silly as everything is, it's still kind of go oh, this kind of works. And she's really good in this movie.
Speaker 2: I think she's good in it.
Speaker 6: And then the character switched because he becomes a millionaire, and that is that when he becomes the jerk because he's like more about himself and not giving back, like I Well, the name the jerk is still kind of confusing to me. Is I didn't seem really big. I think it was going to be an asshole through the whole thing.
Speaker 1: They really wanted to come up with a simple name that was short, and there's a film called The Idiot that was kind of taken, so they couldn't call him that. So the jerk, first of all, is a very American term, like it's probably been It probably arrived in Australia, I reckon, but fifteen years ago it felt like we knew what it meant and we knew the term, but very rarely until would I hear Australian's use the term jerk, because.
Speaker 6: Jerk to me is like an abrupt person who's fucking rude or some shit like that, a bit of an asshole, bit of you know, self selfish. And I was like, I was like, why is it? Is the jerk come later? And then he became a kind of bit of a jerk when he became loaded.
Speaker 2: I guess I.
Speaker 1: Wonder if the name has even shifted in the States or do the Americans who you know, I feel like it's their word, but they always had a different kind of meeting because I agree with you when I think jerk, I think self obsessed. You know all about them, But I've got a feeling for this movie, and maybe at that time in nineteen seventy nine, it kind of just meant an annoying person, yeah, you know, and they probably was a bigger umbrella to what it could mean as opposed to maybe what we think it means now, which is, you know, yeah, abrupt, self obsessed.
Speaker 6: Because for some reason, you know, when you just get caught on something like and we say it all the time, like no one cares about the show Nami Comedy Festival or whatever.
Speaker 2: Whole time was like, when is he going to be a joke? When is he going to be a joke? You know what I mean? Like I was waiting for that moment you just never seemed to happen.
Speaker 1: The gags are great. Let's have another. Listened to a gag that comes pretty quickly when you watch the film. Rob Rainer, son of Carl Rainer, is the driver in this. He went under and directed many many great films.
Speaker 7: I'm hill taking How far are you going?
Speaker 2: Hey lord?
Speaker 7: How far are you going to the end of this fence?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: I'm David Jonathan. What's your name, sir?
Speaker 4: Here we are okay. Thanks for the company.
Speaker 3: If I can't.
Speaker 1: Repay it the day, I mean, what actually helps it work? It's always infectious when you see somebody so positive. He's kind, he's lovable. Yeah, you don't hate him, you know, But I think to go back once he stops doing the voice, like already you know, that's the start of his journey and the voice is kind of gone, like it really is in the opening and closing of that and then a little bit around the family.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I want to know what whether that was shot independently or was shot afterwards or like what was the actual timeline of that actually, was that done like three months before or that after, like they go, oh you need to call back to this, yeah, Or was it meant to be or was he meant to have been drunk?
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: It feels like that it's got the book end, you know that the opening scene, that the final scene is even though like he's still playing, he's got a simple and voice going, but it still seems like a different voice. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it didn't match, you know what I mean, Like it's it's it's it's confusing as to why it's fucking there. It's unnecessary, Yeah, but it is there and we can't change it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But I was like, this is going to be a fucking punish Yeah. And is he is he playing it down syndrome person?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: When I first started, I was like, is this what nineteen seventy nine comedy is?
Speaker 1: You are watching it? Going? He's really drumming up the mentally challenged.
Speaker 2: Portion Cory to use. I should have used that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was a bit the same. I was a bit like I'm always wondering what my guess is, you know, making of the film, and I don't find out until we talk about we don't have that discussion because I want to find out how aud he finds out. But I was thinking he's going with this, and then I must say I was a bit kind of like, oh, did you watch it last night? As well?
Speaker 6: It was two nights ago, right, because then I was like, I was really concerned about the film because in the first five minutes he's doing that voice and then all of a sudden he's in a black family. I'm like, oh, oh, no, yeah, which is going to be tough to talk about, which.
Speaker 1: Now when I've seen in it or I step back, it doesn't bother me. Even the line you know I was born a small black child, Like it's so ridiculous. And what I do like about what he does when he's with his adopted family, it's almost like being black for that character is aspirationales like, there's nothing wrong with that family. They're loving, funny.
Speaker 2: In fact, he wants he's so desperate to be a part of he wasn't.
Speaker 1: A part of that. It's not like he's trying to bust out because he's like this isn't like he does bust out when he realizes he hasn't quite fitting. He wants to anybody, he can't couits. He needs to kind of discover himself.
Speaker 6: But that first five minutes of before they cut to that family and you get to know him, You're like, this is going to be Is this going to be fucked?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Like I always talk on this podcast, when you watch a film and you're feeling safe hands really early. Yes, And it could be the opening shot. I remember Butcher cashing in the sun Dance Kid. It's a beautiful Cepia shot of a train, and I'm like, I think I'm going to love this film. I think this is going to be a great film and I'm going to love it. The jerk doesn't hold that. You feel like, even though Steve Martin and I'm know that Colraina is a comedy legend, and I know, well i've seen it before, I think only the once and many years ago. I know it's considered a comedy classic. But I go, I'm not sure about this, you know, I'm not sure. I'm not sure we're going to enjoy the next ninety minutes.
Speaker 6: When I started, I clicked the remote, going, thank fuck, it's only ninety minutes, you know, what I mean, But there was it had moments of it, but the overall I couldn't. I wouldn't say once again, ninety seventy nine whatever. To me, it's not a wouldn't be a classic. Yeah, I feel like it was dishoveled. I like parts of it. It didn't really make sense. But it doesn't have to be. But you know, some of it, you're just like, there's a lot of there's a lot of air gaps in it. But then again, comedies changed, so I've got to you've got to come out with two eyes.
Speaker 1: Well, if you go back and watch movies, you know, from the seventies and before then, it's amazing how fast movies have become, even your dramas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, like the pacing. You may like, there's no air gaps, We're on to the next shot.
Speaker 1: We're bored.
Speaker 2: We're bored with like Tiktoker's Fried our Brains exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And I think it even predates Sticked Up. But even yeah, more so probably in the last you know, five years where you watch a film from the seventies and you're like, wow, this is like this is taking time to Steven start. Yeah, you know, and now, I think movies that you don't move it a.
Speaker 6: Was it two thousand and one Space Odyssey and then they had that does that You're like, oh, wrap it up, you know what I mean, like just get in there, give me something, you know. But I suppose in the seventies, like it's also how you you'd be watching it in the movies. You wouldn't be watching it at home. So you're like, man, I'm in the like it's their coln. I'm having a good time. There's people around me. You kind of you could be sitting in the moment longer.
Speaker 1: You didn't have the access to entertainment. We are surrounded by content.
Speaker 6: Oh man, screens, It never fucking ends, whereas some people would go weeks without seeing a screen and then that was the only time. So you're kind of obliged to let things breathe and soak a bit more.
Speaker 1: We can watch a film knowing that we could probably go home and watch it again if you wanted to, or watch it in two weeks again. This is like no, if I want to watch it again, I'm buying another ticket, I'm coming back tomorrow, or I'm seeing the next session. I would love to experience go back and you know, and I was born in seventy five, so you probably started going to the movies around eighty two, eighty three ETS and Empire Strikes Back, and so those were like the you know, I remember seeing sitting in the cinema and it was it was a powerful experience. And I still go to movies and watch them and still have amazing experiences, but it's different. It's like it means something a bit different now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I still That's where I have a breath day every couple of months where I get super stoned and then I go to watch something at the cinema and it's my favorite day.
Speaker 2: Like I get I.
Speaker 6: Get the gold class, the seats recline, you know, you can us Yeah, and then just watch a film and you just like and no distractions. Sometimes I don't even bring my phone and then it just enables me to be in that moment and just absorb it.
Speaker 2: Or even if you like it or don't like it, you're you're in.
Speaker 6: And I feel watching film in the cinema with no one is you kind of more You're not like fuck, I'll put the washing on, hang on, I'll pause this, you know what I mean? And I feel you do a disjustice to the people who've spent so long creating it, because it does take time.
Speaker 2: It's a big process.
Speaker 6: It's not easy, and then we're like, oh, I'm quickly going to do a shit, I'll be back in five minutes, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're watching something you are engaged with, you find you're not reaching for your phone as much. I was looking at kind of facts about the film and different things.
Speaker 6: I was praying for an action film on there that I hadn't seen so but going through that list, I was like, Oh, there were so many good films that you sent through, and I was kind of hoping that I'd missed a big banger.
Speaker 2: You know, along the way.
Speaker 6: But I think I've seen like what we came through. I was like, oh God, there were so many good films on there, you know, Like I think you had the Shawshank Redempation, which I fucking love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which Todd Sampson has since watched. That should be off the list now. But you make a good point in that I probably should have more action films on there. What action films should be on that list that I give out.
Speaker 2: Anything with Steven segal.
Speaker 6: Man his films are like awful but the best because action in the nineties it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's in another world.
Speaker 6: It's not cartoony like what we have now is like our action film's kind of No one's made a real I mean, John Wick's good. I didn't like that one we just talked about before, about the gold Guy. But there's no more of those big they try and do it with Iron Man and the Marvel. It's like people are sick of these fucking How many times have I got to watch fucking The Avengers or whatever?
Speaker 2: They're boring? Like I rewatched Rambo.
Speaker 6: Yeah, First Blood or it's not Rambo, it's First Blood. What an incredible film, one guy against everything. There's nothing over the top, there's no explosions and things like that. It's simple, it's powerful, it's brilliant. It's got everything you need in that element like those type of films. I feel like that's why I think I maybe like John Wick so much, because I've grown up with The Terminator or Rambo or I think It's under Siege with Steven Sigar, like I love when it's one man on a mission against the world, and I feel like we've kind of with Blockbusters. Now, I feel like we've besides the John Wick franchise, we've kind of lost our way a bit.
Speaker 2: Everything's like, fucking.
Speaker 6: Oh, this guy's in a metal suit from which which multiverse or some shit. I'm like, I don't understand what the fuck's going on. There's a raccoon and a tree screaming at you. You're like, I don't know, it's too much.
Speaker 1: I hadn't made the connection. And I think it's valid that with Marvel films going, the whole multiversing and becoming increasingly complicated, and if you haven't seen that film, you may not get this. And the rise in your John Wicks and your Denzel Washington being the equalizer and Lean Neeson's got his own industry, you know, going it's like, yes, maybe some people just want that this is a simple story. It's got all of the action in that it's tense. You know.
Speaker 6: It's like Liam Neeson is a perfect example of it at the moment because he's like I worked on Black Light with him, which is someone's like, this is the same as Taken.
Speaker 2: I was like, great, that's.
Speaker 6: All people want, you know what I mean, we don't we just need one guy, he's trying to rescue his daughter.
Speaker 2: He fucking people up along the way, blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: Yes, simple, not like, oh, you've got to get the ring that next gets you. And then this character was like isn't he from another film? And then he comes in and he's like, oh my god, my head hurts.
Speaker 2: You know, it's too much.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you. One of the bits that tough to watch, even more so any of the other stuff that we've spoken about, was the attended forced kiss on the beach.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, where she's really.
Speaker 1: And I know, I know what they're going for at the time, but now when we kind of realized, you know, all mentioned be across consent and but it just was really hard hard to watch him really her really fighting him off and he really it went for like it went for a minutes.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, yeah, I think I grabbed a phone. I was like, this is fucking awkward. Yeah, what I mean, Yeah, it's kind of.
Speaker 6: Weird that even saying that, it's kind of the way that also, I mean, we're getting into a fucking totally different thing.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. The way that behaviors.
Speaker 6: Were normal in film kind of like shapes the behavior of people around it as well. Like if you go back to watch it was called The Loser or whatever. I rewatched that film. It's got the guy from American Pie in it, and I don't know why it was just on Netflix.
Speaker 2: I was hungover.
Speaker 6: The whole thing is about guys essentially spiking chicks drinks and getting him drunk to root them, and I was like, this is not a good message to be to be out there, you know, and that kind of normalizes that behavior again. It's like there's such a like I don't know, it's so big to unpack, but you just like force you a pepula pew, the little sex pest fucking thing, like it's normal to harass someone.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I completely agree. And this is why, you know, people will say, oh, you can't say anything more in comedy. Comedy has to change, like comedy has to evolve with society. And I'm happy to play in the new boundaries and I quite like having some parameters kind of going it doesn't want this anymore. There might be some people sort of laugh at it, and you can play with it. It doesn't mean, you know, you won't take things to the edge a little bit and pull back and and it's a little dance that you know, you get to play now on stage and you can have a bit of a rice mile with something that you're hinting towards something that you know you're not supposed to kind of like joke about. But it's like, I'll give you a little bit about that what I'm going to give you know, and we understand that we don't joke about that stuff anymore or that's not fun or funny anymore. So Yeah, I feel like if comedy didn't evolve, we'd all still be making your mother in law's ugly kind of jokes.
Speaker 2: And they'd be boring, boring.
Speaker 1: It actually would be boring. I think what the people who want comedy not to change. I think if they if we gave them what they wanted, they'll pretty quickly kind of go, I'm a bit bored with this now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And the people will go, well, it's you know, you can't say anything anymore. It's like, what are the things you want to say? They're always awful, you know what I mean? And if I paid fifty bucks to go see Will Anderson and he's doing a joke when he's using an accent. I'd feel fun ripped off because that's easy. What we're trying to do is something a bit harder. Yeah, and you know what I mean, if you save that shit for the fucking shared or whatever. But like, comedy has changed and the boundaries have changed for the good. And if you have to rely on shitting on someone or someone who's lesser value than you and you've got to put them down for it to be funny, then you're not fucking funny.
Speaker 2: And that's what annoys them. Those people's because they have.
Speaker 6: Actually by admitting that, they're realizing they're not good at comedy.
Speaker 1: I think they get back to the film. I think we do have to sometimes put ourselves back, you know, and judge a film by what it was at the time. Yes, And I think they're good documents to kind of go, this is how far we've come now. Yeah, you know, I think we don't. I'm a fan of canceling films and you're going to go, this is what life was, this is a slice of life and taste if I'm nineteen seventy nine, Yes, and yeah we have moved on, and that's good, But.
Speaker 6: There were so many good moments in that film like there was Yeah, there's some weird moments in there, but like the clip you played before when he gets into the car and he drops them off the fan and then the mum's even missing him, like, oh, you know, I wonder what it is like and then they just look out the window and he's still there, like and that gets played throughout. You see that type of moments in filmed again. So without that, it wouldn't have shaped heaps of things we saw after that, And it's important for the comedy progression for that to be there.
Speaker 2: And then it keeps pushing the bar higher and higher and higher and higher, and you know, we've got we've dipped down a bit.
Speaker 6: I think in comedy, remember when they used to make things like American Pie or which is you know it is what it is. But they don't, like Van Wilder that they don't make those big comedy crazy things anymore. Like comedy on screen is like, oh, we'll get one of the Avengers to say, oh, Deadpool, it's got to.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be.
Speaker 6: There's always too many elements to it now, Like I think it should be more simplified, like an action film can be an action film. A comedy can be a comedy, but right now I feel like they're just cramming everything into fucking one thing, like let's make it funny an action film.
Speaker 2: It's just too much. I miss those.
Speaker 6: The Cable Guy was one of them, and I've got no one I loved love Cable Guys.
Speaker 2: I reckoned.
Speaker 6: I've watched that like eighty times as well, like it's insane, But I'm like that to me is what is great comedy on the screen, and that wouldn't existed without Steve Martin creating films like.
Speaker 1: This absolutely, because around this time he had flying high coming out called Aeroplane in the States, top secret coming I think was after this, But those Zucker brother films yep, Leslie Neilson comes later with the Maker Gun series. But there's elements of this of those films in this, and there's all elements of where Steve Martin's cree will go. Like Steve Martin's a you know, he's written beautiful novels and about you know, life in various places, and yeah, there's little elements of that, and there's a little bit here that I think is a nice little glimpse of Steve Martin. Maybe the latest Steve Martin Wheeze Cree will end up going you know.
Speaker 3: How you were playing that just now. I had the craziest fantasy that I could rise up, float right down the end of this coronet, right through here, through these valves, right along this tube, come right up against your lips, give you a kiss. I didn't want to get the spit on me.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a really beautifully written that could be in They could be in an old classic black and white movie, you know, Harpy Broga could have said that line, or it could be in a you know, like a Romaic film. Now, but he put he puts a joke at the end of it. But yeah, I think that's a nice little example of I think the Steve Martin where he was then in the Steve Martin. He would later become overall.
Speaker 6: Love the film, but yeah, it was definitely a time capsule of nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Will you check out some other Steve Marton films?
Speaker 6: Do you think I'm actually going to go back and because I remember that book and I think I got through a couple of pages of it, I've got to get it on audible so I can listen to it properly. But I and you talked about the Three Amigos. I remember that film, but I've got to go back and watch all his back catalog because I think he's like it's so important, like he's obviously a big piece of the comedy puzzle.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I'm missing that a bit, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I reckon Three Megos is a great one. The Man that Wear Plaid and the Lonely Guy are similar kind of vibes to this, and then Three Omegos felt for me like he was then moving on to the next phase, which I think you might enjoy. I think Parenthood's are great, genuinely a great film, great cast. Diane Weets is great, Rick moranis County Reeves early, John Wick, Yeah, Woaquine, Phoenix, Youngoque finish.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've seen this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a good one. It's silly enough, but it's also it's about being a parent and various relationships. Yeah, but also father and son stuff, and it's I think parent It's a great one. You'll enjoy that one. Always always great to catch up with you. Congratulations on your YouTube special Go Hard or Go home racking up the numbers. Very funny stuff.
Speaker 2: Mate, Yes, thank you very much for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you can get a chance to watch the comedy special, I'll be over the moon.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And this a quick couple of fast facts for this. Stanley Cup was a massive fan of this when often invites Steve Mattin over to play poker, just and this chat about the film. So you never know, you never know who sometimes who might become a fan. Like with comedy, I think as comedians we put stuff out there and go, oh yeah, nobody, nobody serious or like this. It's poor Thomas Anderson one of my favorite filmmakers. Yeah, Boogie Knights, Magnolia. Boogi Knights is great. B is like Good Fellas but in the porn industry. And but Paul Thomas Anderson, you know, you're kind of expecting them to have, you know, like serious kind of tastes. His favorite kind of act in his fair movies, Adam Sandler movies.
Speaker 2: See I love that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: It's like, yeah, Adam Sandler films are people off from Poo pooh as well, but they're incredible, Like I think they're masterpieces of comedy.
Speaker 1: He does what he does, he knows what he does well, and he does it constantly.
Speaker 6: Stay stay in your lane, you know, like people like Little Nicki. I was like, nah, I like Little Nicki as well. It's easy. I know what I'm getting. I want to see that fucking guy go. You can do it, and I love it. I love That's what I want. I want the same thing again and again. Stop fucking adding multiverses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it turns out millions and people around the world feel the same way. Bill Murray did a cameo in this, but it was cut out, and he went on He went on Today Night Live and reviewed a movie and said, the movie's a Dog's there's something or somebody missing in this film. I can't quite put my finger on it. Or I'm like, yeah, oh, tongue in cheek. But imagine he would have been little bit piss of if you just cut.
Speaker 6: Out, considering there was a lot of air gaps. I mean, how bad was his bit or it just maybe threw the bit off.
Speaker 1: It was the kind of movie that you can did it really affect the flow that much? Like maybe it wasn't as funny as they thought it was. In the editing room. There was a gas shortage whether making the films, so Steve Martin and director Karl Rayner would actually car pool on the way to set it and they reckon. They count with so many more jokes as a result of there being, you know, than car pooling than they maybe would have. It was a massive success, made over one hundred million in the box office, which those days was huge off a four million dollar budget, so it was a genuine smash. There was a sequel which I think Steve Martin produced, maybe he may have even written co written it. The Jerk too, wasn't The idea was that may go into a TV series, but that never happened. You probably would have an easy spot here is that Steve Martin plays two characters in the film. He plays, of course the Jerk, but he also plays the cat juggler, which is an easy and easy spot.
Speaker 2: I love the cat juggler bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is some weird albums. Even Karl Rayner directed it, and he plays himself. This is the launching of the class action where you you can say the full evolution of the JUG's voice, slide from where he started to where he gets to in this point.
Speaker 5: Mister Johnson, You've become a millionaire overnight. Who are you? Who is Navan Johnson?
Speaker 8: Navan is a complex personality, as are most of.
Speaker 5: The small breed of modern day renaissance millionaires. We had planned to show you the entire Johnson interview. However, when we returned to our studio, our news department informed us of a sensational development in the Johnson story. It seems that an irate group of citizens, led by the celebrity mister Carl Reiner, has filed a class action suit against mister Johnson and his optigrant Here's what mister Reiner had to say at a press conference.
Speaker 8: When opt grab came out, I thought it was the greatest thing ever, and I bought a pair and this is the result. This little handle is like a magnet. Your eyes are constantly drawn to it and you end.
Speaker 5: Up cock eyed.
Speaker 8: Now, as a director, I am constantly using my eyes, and this op to grab device has caused irreparable harm to my career. Let me show you a clip from my latest film where my faulty depth perception kept me from yelling cut at the proper time.
Speaker 5: Cut.
Speaker 1: If I had yelled cut.
Speaker 8: On time, those actors would be alive today.
Speaker 1: Actually was very fun.
Speaker 6: That was funny, and it was stupid enough as well. You know, yeah, if I had yelled cut it, that would be alive.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear cut it. I drove over the edge and I love it, he said. He said, those actors would still be a lot of time. It's very dark, but I love that. My thanks for watching it for me doing your homework. It is a podcast the country homework. I appreciate it, mate.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me as usual.
Speaker 1: I look for to seeing you on stage. Thanks mine, I told you no bullshit episode. If you ain't seen nothing yet with Brett Blake, that was so refreshing. Not that like everybody comes on this podcast and you know that they're not lying about the movies they like or don't like. But Brett was out of the gate. He was I really hope Baz Lerman or David Lynch don't listen to this and poor on Ruby Rose. Wow, Brett Blake, everyone, if I'm sure you loved listening to that, that was a fun episode. And yes, check him out. Check out his YouTube special go Hard to Go Home. That's what he just put out pretty recently earlier this year. So go there and tell him how much you love it, leave a comment, speak of giving a pump. You can do that for this podcast. You ain't seen nothing yet. You can go to iTunes and you can leave it rating. I recommend five stars and the review. He just helps the algorithm do its thing and keeps us in people's conversations, and that keeps the podcast visible as we grow the audience for yasny in this I think he's season eight. I've lost track myself. Also, you can jump on and follow the links on our page to this speak pipe and I would love to hear from you if you have any questions. I would love to know what other Steve Martin films you love. Did you love the Jerk? Any opinions you have about how comedy has changed? Next week on the show, this will be a fun one. It's a return guest my oldest mate in comedy, one of my great mates, one of my best mates. Merrick was the man, the myth, the legend, the man who to be honest, putting I think rather offensive videos on Instagram of him running and keeping fit and I need him to stop now. But he's also running the grapes of mirth. Festival that you may have attended around the country. They are fantastic festivals, comedy and wine together at last, and Mes is the man behind that, and he's returning. Passionate followers of Yasne would know that he started his Before trilogy journey last season with Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise was the first one, wasn't it, And he's returning to do Before Sunset. Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, Richard link Later great films. They were new to me as well, so we chatted a lot about our travels. And this film takes place a few years after the first one, and the characters reunite and for another I suspect romantic waltz around the end of this time. I think it's Paris, but that'll be fun, met Merrick Watts. Check it out next week and you won't say nothing yet. Merick Wats with Before sun Set until then bucking
Speaker 3: Out, And so we leave old Pete save fansl and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.