Speaker 1: This podcast contains information and details relating to suicide. We urge anyone struggling with their emotions to contact Lifeline I'm thirteen eleven fourteen thirteen eleven fourteen or visit them at lifeline dot org dot au.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome to Conversations four and we have a very special guest today. Ron Idle's the good Cop Victoria Police forty two years thirty six as a detective twenty five at the Homicide Squad, famous for the quote, well at least I've quoted him a number of times. The answer is always in the file.
Speaker 3: Welcome Ron, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: And we have Liam Bartlett here of course, and Tim is away this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good Ael and Ron. Just to reiterate what Ellison says there, Thanks very much for coming on board. Your experience is absolutely second to none, mate, so we're very pleased to have you here. And also obviously we're reminder our listeners ol that Ron has been very much a part of this case. His report was included in the coronial inquest.
Speaker 2: That is correct, so you would have heard about We heard a lot about Ron, particularly in episode ten. So if you need to have a listen before you listen to this conversations, check it out because it's a very important aspect of this case. File Ron first question, how did you get involved?
Speaker 3: I think it's as a result of the show that I did with Good Cop. Amy's family contacted me asked would I look at the inquest brief. They felt that the investigation was poor, and eventually I agreed to do it, and then their legal team had to get permission for me to access some material from the current of course.
Speaker 2: What were your thoughts ro when you looked at the file? And I guess caught up with everything that had happened.
Speaker 3: So I was sent the part of the Inquestbury and some of the reviews that had taken place. So I read all the file and then I could see that there was a massive mistake made right from the start. When you go to an incident where there's a shotgun involved, you should treat it as a homicide in other words, a murder or a manslaughter, and work back from that premise to prove anything else. You don't deem it a suicide from day one.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the default position on the bottom line, that default position should have been something sinister, not something that was innocent.
Speaker 3: That's correct, and then it might prove to be wrong. But what you should do is you should call all the services out, which would include your crime scene. You call the pathologist out, you call a blood splatter expert out, you call a ballistics person out, and you do all the necessary measurement and that to determine whether the person could have shot themselves or whether it's actually a homicide. This case was determined in forty two minutes by the detectives just saying, well, she's taken her own life.
Speaker 1: Yes, when you put it like that forty two minutes, that really brings it home, doesn't it. Ron. I've got to say, you know, one of the things I think you're and I'm not blowing smoke here, but the Good Cop show that you've been involved with and hosted one of the best true crime shows on TV because you make it simple, even for mugs like me. You know, you break it down, break it down, break it down all the way through an investigation. And I guess that's what good detectives do, right. You know, it's not a question of being the smartest person in the room. It's a question of being thorough and absolutely looking at stuff. Where the common sense alternative doesn't stack up. You know, and when I look at this case and I read your report to the coroner again, by breaking it down like that, none of this makes sense. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 3: None of it made sense? And it's a bit like ABC Assume nothing, believe nothing, and check everything. Now, before the two people that were at the house at the time, that's David and Gareth, they had statements, taken him down at the front gate, sitting in the back of a police car. Now, before those statements were finished, the detective that had already said it was a suicide. Now that's impossible because you haven't even got a full detailed statement from the two people who are present.
Speaker 2: It's disgraceful, really, I mean when you look at it, I think though, when they obviously had the major crime investigation and then the cold case review, what were your thoughts as that transpired? Do you think that that was enough or you know, where were you thinking the investigation was going from there?
Speaker 3: I think the Major Crime did a half reasonable job, But the problem was you're already three or four days behind because at that stage David and Gareth have been out. Joshua, who was there earlier on it has been about you don't know what they're doing in those three days leading up to it. And the sad part is the crime says planed up and no matter what you do, you can never recreate that exactly.
Speaker 2: That's true, but that seems to be something that that resolved themselves too. Sorry it was watched at the beginning. There's nothing we can do. We just have to leave it as an open finding. Is that good enough or is there still a way to redeem the situation? Do you think?
Speaker 3: I think with further investigation, further publicity, it can still be redeemed. There are people out there who know exactly what happened, and it's a matter of locating those people. I don't think I've ever been involved in a homicide investigation where the person responsible has not told someone, So it's about finding that person. Carl Williams, who was an underworld figure in Melbourne who elderly died and was involved in four or five murders, had this thing and he said those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know. But in the end that was all proved wrong. Those who knew always told someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, human nature isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a rufic thing to cover up, and they all always go ahead and tell someone.
Speaker 1: But Ron, let's put aside people's sense of loyalty, misguided loyalty. Let's put that aside for a second. Just coming back to that point about what evidence is available now, and we know we've been through a whole stake of episodes in this podcast trying to find the truth about Amy. There is a lot of and not just circumstantial evidence. To me as a layperson, there is a lot of evidence in that room and around that room at the time, regardless of the fact that it wasn't forensically protected, that could still make a strong brief. Do you agree with that point? Because I'm asking you because because you must have had cases over the years where you've assembled what you thought was a very strong brief and yet still the DPP or the equivalent has knocked it back.
Speaker 3: I've only lost three murder trials out of three hundred. I've had a couple of briefs that have gone to the Director of probably Prosecutions and it's come back in sufficient evidence. In this case, I think the bio mechanic engineer, and more so the reconstruction that you have done with the expert from America is pretty telling stuff. I'm a detective and I looked at the photos, and the right hand is under the right leg, So the only way that she could have pulled the trigger was with her left hand. And if you try to hold a fourteen shotgun in the position that she was and get a ninety degree horizontal entry and exit, it's impossible.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, Well, that's the thing, right. They decided she'd used that to shield the barrel, so then they pretty much dispensed with that theory and then went to the right hand being used, and then they were trying to find a way that the gun could have fallen in that position and her hand could have gone under a buttock, But of course in the end they couldn't prove that either. So then it was the whole idea of the body being moved. But there's still that attachment to the suicide theory as opposed to just looking forward and saying, look, what are the balance of probabilities. This is the brief. Let's just put it to the DPP and let them decide.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that I don't know what they've done since the inquest. But what I'd be doing is who is David's assay siate who are his friends who he's been in contact with over the last three or four years. You would go and speak to all Gareth's friends again, because sometimes with the passage of time, people's relationship change, and I think if you did that, you might actually find someone who says, this is what he told me, which is incant distant to what the account that he gave back in June two thousand and fourteen. And then you couple that with all your evidence that you've found and you put it to the Officer Public Prosecutions.
Speaker 1: Ron here is there anything from a police level that allows or doesn't allow the police to go to back to David Simmons, back to the Gareth Price Joshua Brydon and pull them in again for a formal interview separately.
Speaker 3: At this stage you would have to have new evidence. You can't just go and arrest a person that you've already interviewed for the sake of another interview unless you've got new material to put to them.
Speaker 1: Can you ask them to do that voluntarily?
Speaker 3: Yes, you could go to any one of those three who were there on the day with David especially, you could go back and put the matters that you're uncovered as a result of your expert from America.
Speaker 1: Listen, this is where I still go back again and again, you know, to that terrible evening. I still can't get my head around there. I mean, two detectives turn up with three uniforms already there, and between the two experienced detectives senior police, they create notes between the two of them that don't even fill a page, a single page of a four paper. I'm just I just it does my head in that statistic ron. How do you feel about that as a senior police officer.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got to sadly agree with you. If I was at that scene, I think you would find that I would probably have twenty a four pages of notes. I'm going to talk to the first uniform police there. I'm going to take notes to that, You're going to do a diagram of the scene. Then I'm going to make phone calls because I know I want other services there. I just think those two detectives just didn't want to be there that night. They might add something else to go to. It's as if well, let's just tick this box and walk away and sadly, I think they got it wrong.
Speaker 2: The Brotherhood of the Police. And you were in the police force for half a century, so you know about this. And when mistakes are made, when people do muck up, is there an issue sometimes with having them taken into account? And I mean there was an internal investigation and you saw that. Was it enough? And do you think that there should have been a bit more of an open mind at the inquest as to what happened to Amy?
Speaker 3: I think there was definitely should have been an open mind. After I made my statement for the currents court, they then got a superintendent to read report and to produce a report. Now I listened to his evidence at the Currenter's court and he said everything was done. It was all done properly, although he can see the mistakes at the crime scene, but he said, I can tell you now she took her own life. Well, that is just a closed mind. And I've got to tell you, in forty two years I've had to go up against the Brotherhood and not once has anyone ever apologized to me order families that we got it wrong.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. You would have seen with Larry Blandford, right, he's created like a bit of a leper now because he actually stood up and he's no longer an officer. How often does it happen that uniform cops might do that and is it seen as a bit of an army mentality you don't question your superior when it comes to the police force as well.
Speaker 3: Look, I think it was difficult for those junior officers on the night. They were quite to the point that it wasn't a suicide, or she hadn't taken her own life, or they wanted a lot of other things done and tested, and I think they spoke your mind. But it's like a hierarchy. So, Okay, you've got these detectives who are they're far more experienced than we are. They're saying she took her own life, so they have to accept that, even though deep down they don't yes.
Speaker 1: On that level, Ron, If we just get your comments on a couple of these things that relate to the police directly from your experience from some of our listeners that have made queries put comments on the Facebook page for the Truth About Amy podcast. If you don't mind out, I'll just go through a couple of these for Ron on that exact subject. Debra is asking why the uniform police who turned up couldn't go over the heads of the detectives at the time. Can you explain that, ron.
Speaker 3: If they did, then there'd be consequences down the track. They would be seen as not being loyal to a senior officer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would. It'd be very difficult, woudn't it. I mean, you know, it's just like trying to go up against your manager if you're in a big organization. It's a difficult thing at that level, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is? And I was asked in twenty twelve to review the murder of two policemen Silken Miller in Melbourne, and I came to the conclusion that one of the persons responsible wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: When I finished my report, I took it directly to the Director of Public Prosecutions. Now that's caused me no end of grief. I've been ostracized. I'm now the evil one, even though later on it was proved I was right, and the young person charged, Jason Roberts, did twenty one years and has been exonerated. You don't buck the system. If you buck the system, you'll be offstra basically left to your stone devices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though, as you say, you've been proved to be one hundred percent right in fact, to the point where that particular person has now launched a multimillion dollar lawsuit against the government. So yeah, maybe more people should have listened to you earlier.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just one of those things that if you go against the hierarchy, you're considered basically as a black shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's sad, right for doing the right thing. Shouldn't that be respected?
Speaker 3: Or it should be it should be respected, But I haven't seen it change much over the last twenty twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Agreed. Well, here's another one on that level. This is from Judy on the Facebook page. Judy wants to know how the Premier in Wa, Roger Cook, and the state's Attorney General John Quigley sleep at night and how they would feel if it happened to one of their children, And she goes on to say the Police Commissioner Cole Blanche needs to step up. That's a fairly straightforward and fair comment, don't you think, Ron It is?
Speaker 3: But I think the Premier wouldn't know the exact details. The police minister would have an overall briefing. But I think it's time the Chief Commissioner stood up and said, well, look, let's put this to bed once and for all, let's get all the available evidence, put it back before the Director of Public Prosecutions, and let's get a decision made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very good point. I mean, I'd love to see some of this stuff, things that we've been shaking our head over, ol, I'd love to see. I'd love to see a jury hear the same stuff in the same order. But here's another one from Facebook. Ron Trisha wants to know more about the missing door handle. Now I'm intrigued by that as well. What did you think of that? Ron?
Speaker 3: I can't explain that, Like, the door handle's missing, was it missing prior to that day? And then I've got a vague recollection that could have been on the dressing table.
Speaker 2: Yes, well it was replaced. That's the funny thing, right, the door handled turned back up afterwards, but at the time it was missing on the inside. And that's just so strange. I've always thought that was strange because if Amy had taken it, she would have taken it from the outside, because she wouldn't have wanted her daughters to walk in on her if she had killed herself.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right. But where she's located behind the door, to me, it's like she's gone down there and she's cowering like gotta rum up, as if something's going to take place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, there was another guy. Actually, I don't know. And Liam's going through this too, and it's great. I love that we've had so many people get back to us on this. This is Paul. We kind of addressed this a little bit, but it'd be good to get a little bit more detail. And he's basically said he's enjoying the listening to the podcast since the terrible injustice has occurred, but he can't help but wonder about one piece of evidence that doesn't make sense to him. If Amy was right handed and someone was holding a shotgun on or near her right temple, why was she not trying to push the hourl away with her dominant hand. Surely she uses her strongest arm in trying to save herself. Now, my understanding, as I remember seeing in the room, and you saw the pictures right that the door is on her left, so it's coming in from there and her left hand is closest. But yeah, it's just another thing that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think any of that stuff makes sense. It doesn't make sense after the fact either, with the way the gun was handled by at least three people, the way the ammunition was handled in it, taken out of it all before police arrived. I mean, it just all that stuff just doesn't make sense at all to me.
Speaker 3: No, and then when they were told to clean up, I think I think there's been shells were thrown out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they weren't found again.
Speaker 1: No, that's yeah. Look, here's another one on that subject. Guys. There's an email here from Mirian. Mirian says this probably has been covered. But if Amy was going to use a gun to kill herself, as she would use the pink one she bought, as it was hers and she knew how to use it. But apparently it was over in the wardrobe or against another wall. That's correct, that's right, she said. Marian said, I heard on the podcast she was slumped against the wall by the door with another gun with her right hand underneath her bum, which absolutely doesn't add up, correct, Marion, Yep, we just discussed that. Being a woman myself and a mum, i'd never leave my children in a running car and go inside to kill myself. Great point. You would hate to think your child may find you if they got out of the still running car and she had presents in the car ready to leave, So it does not stack up seeing how slight she was. Marian also suggests she wouldn't smash the tank in the shed. She may have run past angry and brushed against it, which made it tip and smash, depending on what kind of stand it was. Look another good set of comments from some of our listeners, and they do pick up for obvious reusons. They pick up on the important points. And again, surely a jury of peers would also have many many questions wrong.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, But I think the thing that the DPP if they get, if they get the brief, is that the new reconstruction and even the previous biomechanic, it's impossible to shot herself. And to a lay person in the jury twelve good people drawn from the community, trying to picture themselves holding a four ten shotgun with one hand and pulling the trigger doesn't make sense. Well, there's three three classic things that you always look for, motive, opportunity, and capability.
Speaker 1: Well, Here's an email from Mandy. She says, I can't stop thinking about the motive I heard in a few episodes ago, the comment that the coroner said there was a lack of motive for murder. Unfortunately, he says, Mandy, this was glossed over. I feel you could have focused on this statement more. Amy had applied for compensation for her neck injury following the accident, when Simmons was driving the vehicle. How was that going to directly impact Simmons? Then, Mandy points to the clear evidence Amy was clearly in the process of leaving with the car engine running. Or domestic abuse victims, This is the most dangerous time to leave. Mandy goes on, but she makes some great points there. I mean, again, Ron, you know, if you want to find the evidence disregarding the fact that, as we've been saying time and time again, the detectives made a terrible, terrible mistake and the place was cleaned up, but there is all this suggestion of associated evidence around the actual scene that could be well and truly explored.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, is there.
Speaker 2: Many homicides that you've had to deal with, Ron that involved or had a background of domestic violence?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, I think if you went back to the nineteen eighties, the homicide squad was called the heavy Domestics. In other words, the majority of murders that we went to were domestic related. The truth is always in an an investigation, you've actually got to go out and find it. And at the moment, I don't think that's being done.
Speaker 2: There's another one from Leslie who says keep at it, justice will come. Has anyone investigated other cases around the time the two detectives attended. I mean, one of the detectives is no longer in the police force and we're not there to necessarily bring them down. But it is one of those things, right that some people in the police force don't have the motivation. Do you find that with people that you've worked with that there would be ones that you you know, there's good and bad in every profession, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think there's more good in the police force than I won't say they're bad. I think they're lazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of morale and the driver for motivation that comes from the top, doesn't it wrong? I mean, this is not you know, this is not a witch hunt to pile in on those particular police officers who did the wrong thing. We know, it's very clear cut. They did the wrong thing. They were terrible. But let's move on, you know's let's get justice for amy, for a family. You know, let's just do the police work. Now. Let's have somebody at the top say, look that that was wrong, but this is now. Let's plant the flag and say from today, from here, we're going to do some excellent police work and we're going to right a few wrongs and we're going to score a blow literally for justice. As much as that sounds like a cliche, but that has to come right from the top so that we you know, we just we set the agenda that way. That's leadership, isn't it wrong?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely? Or it comes from the head of the colcase innit that says, okay, Swan's a priority. It's been raised in parliament. It's been going on now since twenty fourteen. The only reason they got an in quest is they went to the equivalent to iback, such time, we did the right thing. Yes, we've made mistakes. Let's finish it off completely, do as much as we can and if we get there, we get there, and if we don't, we don't. But we've done the best we can for the family.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I know some fantastic police officers over the years who've done some brilliant work and they're motivated by all the right things, yourself included, Ron, And I mean that's what you know, that's what the public should be supporting because we really need those people in the service generally. I mean, but you know, we can take any industry. You know, I know some shocking journalists. Fortunately none of them are on this podcast. But that's just life, isn't it. But but you just need some strong leadership to say, okay, let's make this work. Let's get some.
Speaker 3: Action, and you get everyone involved and each detective have some ownership, and where you go it can't happen. I've sold the case that was thirty two years old by going back over so the answer is always there. You just got to go and get the evidence.
Speaker 2: Tell us about that one, Ryan, that was a great one.
Speaker 3: So that was a young sixteen year old girl in Shepperton who went missing. She was found in a table drain stabbed sixteen to eighteen times in nineteen eighty two. Now again investigated in that made a mistake earlier on and they believed it was a person, Paul Greg Bledhill. They even actually charged him with the murder, and back then it went to an inquest, which was the same as a committal. The coroner found that there was insufficient evidence and he was released. Now, young Johnas wanted to do a story about it, and she wrote a story, and I actually went to Shepherd and after I read the file and publicly I said Greg Gladill could not have done this. So there were mistakes earlier on, but as a result of that being honest upfront, the information came in and eventually I charged Stephen Bradley, who's now doing thirty six years.
Speaker 2: Did you get any flack for that, ron No.
Speaker 3: One of the things with that case is that the original exhibits for some reason, had been destroyed, so I didn't have exhibits. So whilst there were mistakes made, whilst there had been someone that was already charged and released and the exhibits were missing, we were still able to build a case and get sufficient evidence for him to stand his trial.
Speaker 2: That's a benefit of being treated like a homicide in the first instance. I'm so glad though, that you are willing to stand up and you are willing to do what's right, no matter the repercussions. I think that's so important. I think it should be applauded. I mean people like you who stand up to the brotherhood. I mean you wouldn't listen to the episode where we went through the internal fois from senior police. Were you surprised by that?
Speaker 3: I was especially the comments of the ballistics man using for our language. Now he in this matter. It had completed his report before all the testing was done, and he says there's no criminality because there's no fingerprints on the gun. Well, that doesn't mean there's no criminality. So it's sad with that attitude because you are getting senior members of the police force basically saying we're going to do nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was in twenty twenty three as well, it's only a year ago. So just for listeners, they were arguing about getting that one million dollar reward and being treated as a homicide and having you go with the West saying that are they taking poetic license by calling it a homicide and saying it was a botched investigation. So there are still people in the police force they don't even accept it was a botched investigation.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: And seen people.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be very smart to figure out it was a botched investigation, notwithstanding the fact that that's already been decided at a higher level than our Yeah, the inquest. But again it shows you the mentality, doesn't it. You know, it's like the old adage about you know, whether you win or lose, isn't it ron? You know, it's like a grandmother's homily. You know, if you lose, that's fine, but it's the way you lose. And again, we're supposed to all be in this to have a win, So let's forget about the losses and just make sure we try and have the victory in other people's interests.
Speaker 3: You know, an investigation is a search for the truth in accordance with the specifications of the law. So get out there, try and find out what the truth is and presented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And on that level, the correspond we've had with the police, the recent correspondence, how back me up on this because my interpretation, I think yours is the same, is that this is certainly the way the WA police have put it out there. This is the sort of public perception that they want to create. So I'm hoping this is the honest reaction, and this is true, but it seems like there is a new team. In other words, there is a new investigation into Amy's death. Is that your interpretation as well?
Speaker 3: My understanding is that the cold case will relook at it again and start from more basically scratched, but go over it all and bring it to a conclusion.
Speaker 1: I hope.
Speaker 2: So, I hope that's what it is, because this is what we ask the police when they got back to it. Once investigated, will the brief of evidence be updated and passed on to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions to consider. If not, why not? The answer is, if new evidence relating to the death of Amy Wentz is obtained during this investigation, it will be assessed by the investigation team under the direction of the senior investigating officer. If any new evidence indicates criminality or involvement by another personal persons, it will be provided to the Officer of the Director of Public Prosecutions for their review. So it's very noncommittal to.
Speaker 3: Me, that's a motherhood statement without saying what you're going to do, but it's something and hopefully they can be asked continually well where you're at, and they should be in regular contact with the family.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the thing, right, that's not happening. I mean Nancy, I don't know when Nancy was last contacted. It's just kind of crazy. And Anna has a family liaison officer who sometimes gets back or does answer her questions, but it just seems I don't know, it just doesn't seem like enough, because I mean, it's obvious from our podcast and the information that has been uncoveted to any line Freddie, that there is information that should be considered by the ODPP, particularly since as I know it, they haven't seen the file since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: So the information and the reconstruction that you people have done has that been passed on to the police.
Speaker 2: The name of Scott Rohada has been passed on to the police, so hopefully they've made contact with him and would consider him as part of that. Also, every single person we've spoken to, a lot of people haven't appeared on the podcast. All that information, all those people their details have been invited to police with their permission, and there's a lot of information there that would help the case.
Speaker 1: Let's put that on the record again. In the case of Scott Rhoda because obviously we went to a lot of trouble to get him to be able to set that up as a sendime to perfect scene Ron. So it was a scale model of everything so he could do an absolutely accurate analysis. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The police can have all our camera tapes of all Scott's work. We filmed a whole lot. They can study it back and forth to their heart's content. You know, we're more than happy to muck in whatever it takes. They can ring Scott personally, can have a chat to him about it. But you know there's the trifecta. You've now got not one independent expert, You've got three separate independent biomechanical experts all saying not only does the evidence not point to Amy Wensley shooting herself, but actually the evidence points to someone else shooting her. How many more people ron do you need? How many more independent experts do you know?
Speaker 3: You can produce those three experts, and the defense are then entitled to rebut it and call their own experts.
Speaker 2: When you went through the process of getting a referral to the ODPP or providing a case, did you decide that or did you have to send it up the line ron to get permission. No.
Speaker 3: So when I the Michelle Buckingham case, I believed I had sufficient evidence based on my experience, and I charged him. I didn't have to send it to the Director of Public Prosecutions. So you could get to the point in this case. If the cold case believe that they had a primer facy case, in other words, that all the points for a homicide or a murder were covered, they could make the decision themselves to charge and present.
Speaker 2: Here's the problem, though, we saw that FOI and senior people who weren't supportive of there being any other resolution other than suicide. What happens if they don't do it? I mean, is it like we just reliant on them and their subjective opinion.
Speaker 3: Well, you reliant solely on the police either to charge or put the brief together and send it to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Speaker 2: Does the Director ever ask for briefs to be sent to them.
Speaker 3: Not that I'm aware of now, which.
Speaker 2: Is why we went back to the whole thing with the Attorney General. I mean the Attorney General We've asked obviously in a petitioner and is asked on behalf of the family in a petition to have it referred because of this, I guess opposition from the police in the past and currently according to the fied emails that we have, and there is this whole idea that he wouldn't be able to do that now. This is actually his comment that brings me back to the correspondence that we got from his office again who outlined to me it is a matter of a subject of a police investigation and it would not be appropriate for the attorney to comment. The attorney extends his condolences to Miss Wensley's family. Police can refer a brief of evidence for the Office of the ODPP to assess whether the available evidence establishes a prima facing case with reasonable prospects, but the attorney has no role in that process. There is nothing in the Director of Public Prosecutions Act which provides for the attorney to refer matters the ODBP. Of course, this is just me saying this. There's nothing that that also which prevents them from doing it. And then she goes under say and it specifically prohibits the attorney from issuing directions to the DPP in respect of that of a particular case.
Speaker 1: But issuing directions is completely separate to referring matters.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but they're clinging to that, as Ron put it beautifully, a motherhood statement.
Speaker 1: Well, that's just basically telling us and all our listeners how to suck eggs in a very very bureaucratic way and tying it up with a bow. Are you serious that they don't have meetings at that level and discuss various things.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I understand there has to be a separation of powers. But the Attorney General in Victoria at the time of the Jason Robertson incident became involved. The Victoria police put a submission in. The defense put a submission in on behalf of Jason roberts and initially Martin Biller. The Attorney General made a decision that there should be a retrial.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Then he backed away from that and change the legislation which meant that you had to have new and compelling evidence, and eventually that was done. So they do have official meetings, but most of the time there's that separation.
Speaker 1: Well that's the point, Ron. The attorney general sets the legislation right, So, for instance, go back a few months to where John Quigley was rapping on about domestic violence and this is sweet irony and they're helping victims of domestic violence. Allison, guess what. He sets up the legislation for his government to then put to Parliament. Well, where do you reckon? You get some of those ideas on what can work and what can't. There's a news flash. He talks to his police commissioner. That's correct.
Speaker 3: They would have a meeting at the Department of Justice exactly. But I've got to go because I've got to go and volunteer and was close.
Speaker 2: I know. Well, Ron, we want to thank you so much for being part of this. This is invaluable and I do believe that we keep pushing it and with people like you on our side that I guess justice will prevail hopefully or at least common sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, Ron, thanks, thanks very much for being part of the podcast and and and look the case overall. Really appreciate your input. It's very valuable, as Allison says, thanks mate.
Speaker 2: No, thank you. All our listeners are also just a reminder please sign our petition. It's in the show notes or Google Amy Wensley and petition or change dot org and you will find it. Thank you so much,