Speaker 1: Hi Heart podcasts, Hear More Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free I Hunt app.
Speaker 2: Good Pickup with britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 3: Brady, your work, our windows done, that's my world, risen the dust, only good tabs all down.
Speaker 2: I've done March now. But yeah, I know I'll big get and what I want. It don't matter where. This is the pick up.
Speaker 1: Happy Thursday afternoon, everyone, It's the pick up with britt Hartley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling you buy this week? Laura? Well, yeah, look I did get a little shock. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Happy Thursday Afternoon to everybody except for Brittany Hockley. He's not in fact married because it was a big scare.
Speaker 3: It was fake if you make you Yeah, no, I did get married last week. And you know, I got sent an article and I saw that it had my wedding picture in it, and I was like, cute, this is gonna be like a cute little walked down memory lane for last week in a reflection on the happiest day of my life.
Speaker 2: Just read the headline.
Speaker 3: I can't It's got two photos of me in a wedding dress. And then The headline says, Brittany Hockley reveals her wedding was fake and her husband was denied entry into Australia.
Speaker 2: That is the article that was written about my wedding.
Speaker 3: They make it sound like he was trying to smuggle drugs or something, and he's always a criminal.
Speaker 1: It's so good, like Australia media is so good at taking a whiff of a line and creating an entire article around absolute nothingness.
Speaker 2: I vote you for it.
Speaker 1: Fake wedding and where is Ben prove it? Where is he now?
Speaker 3: He's been even real?
Speaker 2: He doesn't exist. I have aied my whole relationship.
Speaker 3: No, just to really like clarify this now if anyone listening, the wedding wasn't fake. The wedding was real. My bank account will confirm that. But we do have to make it official in Australia. So that's what they're saying about it being fake, like we have to do it here in Australia legalities.
Speaker 1: It was a real wedding, it's just not yet a confirmed marriage is so consummated.
Speaker 2: That's it get samanatics.
Speaker 3: See how the part was that Ben was He's like, is this this is a really a good headline for me to say that he was denied entry into a country because my husband is Swiss and lives in Italy.
Speaker 2: He wasn't denied entry.
Speaker 3: So he got to the airport. They said, where's your visa? He said, what visa? And that was how that went down. Very luckily we were early and he got a visa on the spot. He did, in fact get letting. He is currently in my home in Australia.
Speaker 1: Everyone is thrilled for you, Britt, And I don't think that there was a single person Actually, no, I take that back.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say I don't.
Speaker 1: Think that there was a single person that read the article that actually thought it was a scam wedding. But then I saw a couple of comments on Instagram, so actually.
Speaker 2: There were people who thought it was a scam. They did.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it people because I started to get these comments and I was like, why people writing this on my photos? Then I saw people were reading the headline finding my Instagram to write why did.
Speaker 2: You even say your vows? If it was fake? Why did you learn German? If it was fake? And I was like sorry, I was like, what you're like?
Speaker 1: Pray for their Instagram followers, go away and crag crag.
Speaker 2: By lingual, don't be jealous.
Speaker 1: It is time because it's Thursday for Ask gun Cut and that is where we answer you're deep, you're dark, and you're burning questions. We do this segment Ask Guncut on our podcast Life Uncut every week every Thursday, where we answer your listener questions and you guys call in or you ride in. And this week we have a question from someone who wants to remain anonymous for fear of her potential future fiance finding out look a bit double handed.
Speaker 2: I understand why.
Speaker 3: It's she wants to be anonymous, but maybe she shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Maybe he needs to hear it.
Speaker 1: Let's call her Sally. Sally came across a photo.
Speaker 3: This sounds sorry, it sounds like a sort of a story book, like Sally, like sunsets.
Speaker 1: No, all right, We've been talking a lot about weddings this week because obviously brit got married. But this has to do with when you find out that your partner is going to propose to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I we're not gonna call it Sally.
Speaker 1: The person who wrote in they found the pictures in their partner's phone of the engagement ring that he is planning to propose with. It's only at the design stage, so by the looks of things, it hasn't been made yet, but all the tech drawings, that the cat.
Speaker 2: Drawings for the design for the ring have been done. Now.
Speaker 1: Firstly, she is incredibly thrilled that he's going to propose love of life.
Speaker 2: Whooh yay, so excited. I love that hold on.
Speaker 1: On the other hand, she absolutely hates the ring and thinks it is the ugliest thing she's ever laid her eyes on. Knowing that he hasn't gone through yet or you know, she doesn't know for certain, but she doesn't think he's gone through with making it yet. How would you approach this situation? Do you just suck it up and bear it and get a ring that you hate, or do you tell your partner that you know that they're designing a ring because you saw it in.
Speaker 3: Their phone and you don't like it. She doesn't know it hasn't been made yet. You've seen a photo. She doesn't know that hasn't been made. That he doesn't have it socked away, or maybe he's trying to throw off the scent.
Speaker 2: Maybe he knows she's snoopy mix snoop.
Speaker 3: She was going to go through the phone now, so he's put nut you don't reckon.
Speaker 1: Here, nanna nutt. No one is that. Very few people of that sort of like savvy.
Speaker 3: Okay here it is just hypothetically. It hasn't been major. It isn't throwing off the scand it's the real ring and she hates it. Can you tell him that you accidentally went through his phone, saw the ring, spoil the engagement, and double down by saying you don't like the ring? No, unless you want him to not propose. That's like, there are so many things wrong with that. You absolutely can't totally. But what do you do if you get a ring and it's just so hideous?
Speaker 2: What do you do? I know someone it's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know somebody that happened to and she still has it to this day. It's been like fifteen years, and it was bad. I will say that.
Speaker 1: I remember, I have a friend in my life whose ring I actually ended up designing the ring for them, and it worked out well, not exactly what she wanted, but it was well. But what he wanted for her was worlds apart from what she wanted and I remember him sending me the designs and the ring was so ugly and it.
Speaker 2: Took a really I didn't want to make it, I was.
Speaker 1: It took a really long time to like get him to realize that maybe he was designing a ring for himself and not for his future wife.
Speaker 2: Also, just to catch up to speed. If you don't know, Laura is.
Speaker 3: A jewelry design Oh yeah, she made my wedding rings, which were wonderful once we got it to fit properly.
Speaker 2: But she makes other people's engagement rings anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I think that the way that you can get around this is you cannot tell them that you don't like the ring. You can't even tell him that you've seen the ring. I don't think, because it could just you know, it's trying to god.
Speaker 2: You also wanted to be a surprise.
Speaker 3: You know what if you spoil the surprise for him, I've seen this happen before, He's.
Speaker 2: Not going to do it.
Speaker 1: Well, he might still, but he might just do it a bit deflated, and especially if he knows you hate the ring. What I think you can do though, You could just start tagging him on Instagram in rings that you really like sending him inspiration and be like, hey, honey, in case you're ever thinking of marrying me, this is the ring that I would really like. I think that you can do it knowing full well that you are going to get proposed to he does want to marry you, and hopefully if he hasn't started the design process, he can make a pivot.
Speaker 3: I think what you can do is too There's always this car cells on Instagram of multiple rings, and I was like, which ring do you like? I used to send those to Ben and be like, which one do you think I would like? But you could put your own bunch of pictures together, put one that is similar to the ring that you know he's got, but also put ones that are that you love and go through them and say, hey, which one would you pick for me?
Speaker 2: And then you tell him which ones you like?
Speaker 1: Did we ever talk about this with you?
Speaker 2: Britt?
Speaker 1: So Britt was away in the jungle when Ben was organizing her engagement rings.
Speaker 2: So this was like last year.
Speaker 1: Britt was in the jungle, which meant I had access to Britt's Instagram because I was managing her social media. And Ben told me I'm thinking of proposing to Brit do you have any idea what kind of rings she would want? And it was so helpful because you had saved so.
Speaker 2: Many engagement rings and.
Speaker 1: They were all the same, massive oval and with guess what I got, massive oval and formal.
Speaker 2: You can thank me for that.
Speaker 1: I found that, and I knew exactly what you wanted.
Speaker 3: I had sent that to him anyway a hundred times like this kid knew what I wanted.
Speaker 1: Well, he got the affirmation. You made it very easy for everyone to.
Speaker 3: Know what you want it. And I think that that's what we have to do. Take a pressure of him just sending what you like. You don't have to say you've seen it. Send him what you like, make it very clear, leave print out, circle it, standaling, swipe ups, whatever it takes.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately, if you do end up with him proposing with the ring that you hate, you just I think you've got to suck it up until one day you get it in short and then.
Speaker 2: You accidentally lose it. I didn't say that because I don't want to get sued by an intrance car. You can melt it down to after the fact. Nah, No, everyone's okay with that. But anyway, I have.
Speaker 3: Learned many things Laura over my wedding extravaganza year, the planning, the arriving, the destination, wedding. It's done now, is done and dusted last week. But one PSA that I have for everybody that is getting married. Don't do ball sports, don't do activities, and don't do contact sports. Probably let's say three days in the lead up to the wedding.
Speaker 1: I feel like you shouldn't do contact sports. Probably a bit longer than that. Nothing like breaking your leg before a wedding.
Speaker 2: My husband, ben I, is a football player.
Speaker 3: I also love sports, so when we're together, we love to play sport. We decided to go and play paddle tennis with two of his friends, like my sister and his groomsman.
Speaker 1: You messaged me we were over in Bali and Pritting messaged me to say that she was off playing paddle tennis and I was like, it's thirty three degrees and seventy eight percent humidity. I was like, it's like doing paddle tennis in a big room studio.
Speaker 2: It was, it was hot, it was sweaty, but it was fun. We loved it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it went south pretty rapidly, so I was opposite my husband Ben. He was on the other team with my sister, and I was on his best man's team, and they're gone back and forth one hundred miles an hour, and it was one of those rallies where you know how it's like it's doubles, but there's only two people playing.
Speaker 2: It's the boys just smashing it. So you guys are just standing on the side.
Speaker 1: We look in, were paying against each other, won't even.
Speaker 3: Getting a look in anyway. Ben does like this big smash of the ball. Eve, who's my teammate, tries to smash it back, but it goes off the side of the racket and smashes into my face at like full speed, went into my chin, into my bottom lip, and smashed up into my teeth, and I dropped like a fly. I swear to god, my teeth were knocked out. I thought I had this moment where I thought, how long before.
Speaker 2: The wedding was this like twenty four hours?
Speaker 1: Okay, right, yeah, yeah, nothing like looking like you've just had a lip job, like just had your lips injected to go to your own wedding.
Speaker 3: So I drop, my hands are on my face and I thought this is a disaster. I run over to the side and I take everyone's looking and I'm fighting back tears and I slowly take my hands away, and I say, is it okay?
Speaker 2: How bad is it?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 3: I have all my teeth And they all look at me and I can see on their face, but they're like, so fine, just take a seat though.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna grab some ice as a backup. And I was like, why do we need ice? Is a backup?
Speaker 1: I can you could probably feel it, can taste the blood and feel the tingling, you know, you know when you've been smacked in the lot.
Speaker 3: Anyway, That's what Ben said. Ben's like, look, babe, it just looks like you've had maybe some lip filler.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what on one side? And he was like, yes, one side.
Speaker 1: To be fair, though on your wedding day, you couldn't not tell. Like, I think it was a good end result for how bad it could have been.
Speaker 3: I had the ice on for literally nearly twenty four hours. I took it off.
Speaker 2: After an hour and I was like, are we good? Can I keep playing? They'll like, just maybe keep it off for a little bit longer. Keep that on, like it was like I'd been stung by a bee on one side of my face. Do you remember?
Speaker 1: I mean it's very different because it's got nothing to do with weddings, but like I feel like bad things can happen before a big event, right, and then you just have to manage how that's going to go down.
Speaker 2: I know it your wedding day. Yes, I know you.
Speaker 1: You trump me with this, And I'm not trying to storytop, but do you remember when we were in studio and it was the logies The next day, I was chewing on a pen and something flung across the room and it was half of my Yeah, it was my entire crown on my and this I'm talking, I've got a crown on the tooth that's directly next to my front too, so my second tooth. It's very obvious, and it just popped off and flew across at you like it was I.
Speaker 2: Dodged your tooth. And I didn't know what it was. At the first, I was like, what was that? Was weird? Thing broke off the pen, tooth out of my hair. It wasn't until later.
Speaker 1: On when I looked at myself in the mirror, it was like snaggletown. Thank God for emergency dentists, and I got the most botched little crown, fake like temporary crown put on there. No one look at the logis photos of last year too closely. You can tell you didn't even need that. The closed mouth smile is in. You could have just done that logis. Yeah, but then what if you have to talk to someone you talk like this, Hello, hello, sorry, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I locked my whole teeth out.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why PSA don't do ball sports, contact sports, anything rough just before.
Speaker 2: The wedding sounds obviously.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there are lots of people people who have sprained their ankle, broke their leg, done worse things than that. No, that's also why you don't have your bucks or your hends party too close or what about.
Speaker 3: All these people that get their eyebrows shaved off from their bucks?
Speaker 2: Like, no one, no one is doing that.
Speaker 1: Was that just a movie? That's not you watch the Hangover? That does not happen to real people.
Speaker 2: Swear to god, someone listening right now has had the eyebrow waxed off. I bet you call up let us know. What is your husband a teenager?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Are their friends seventeen? They've gone to Vegas probably.
Speaker 1: I need to talk to you about something that has been plaguing my relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, lucky we are together now on a radio show.
Speaker 2: Then we talk, Oh my god, what are you doing about?
Speaker 1: So we've all heard of like the man look cute. We all make jokes about it, men who can't find things in the house.
Speaker 2: Like you've had a man's look. Yeah, you've had a man's look.
Speaker 1: You know, you tell someone exactly where it is and then they can't find it, and it's the quote is it's a man's look. This has become a real point of contention in my relationship with Matt, and I don't know whether it's getting progressively worse, whether he's I don't know, maybe the testosterone is increasing in him and therefore he just can't find things anymore.
Speaker 2: But it is something that we deal with frequently.
Speaker 1: To the point where I feel as though I could not be more specific about where I tell him something is, and he will walk downstairs, wander around looking at the ceiling and then say, oh, I can't find it, can't find it.
Speaker 2: It must be bad too, because you're bad. So if he's, if.
Speaker 3: He's worse than you like, because in our relationship, you're like, have you seen my such and such?
Speaker 2: And if you're guiding him then, like the both of you, it's problems. Yeah, where are our kids? Has anyone seen? How many kids do we have? That's why we're having another one. Just replace him because you've lost the other one. She'll show up.
Speaker 1: She's under lowed, no speaking. Okay, So we were putting. I was putting lot the girls to bed the other night, and Lola specifically has a drink bottle. You know that she has in bed with her when she goes to sleep. They both do, but they're usually always in their beds. Anyway, I'd brought them downstairs and I had washed them, and so i'd put them away instead of taking them back upstairs and just putting them next to their bed. I called out to Matt and I was like, babe, can you get Lola's drink bottle?
Speaker 2: He's like, I can't find it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, wells as he sits on the allow and literally literally and I was like, it's in the cupboard where the drink bottles are.
Speaker 2: We have this one cupboard in our house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, because we have we have so many drink bottles. He's got a million drink bottles for his Boddy protein shakes or everything.
Speaker 2: Anyway, It's just full of drink bottles, nothing else. Yeah, everyone has that cupboard.
Speaker 1: And I was like, it's in the drink bottle cupboard. I hear nothing for a second, can't find it. And I was like, okay, well, why don't you just grab one of the other drink it is in there, grab one of the other drink bottles. I know that there's five kid appropriate drink bottles in there. There's no drink bottles in here. And I was like, I'm sorry, are you telling me that there is not a single drink bottle.
Speaker 2: In a drink bottle in a drink.
Speaker 1: Bottle cupboard which I just restocked. And he was like, yeah, can't find it.
Speaker 2: Okay. I was like, and this is just what you do, right, you go?
Speaker 3: If I walk downstairs, you know it's bad, child, but you know it's bad if you start with mate.
Speaker 2: So I do. I walk downstairs, open the drink bottle.
Speaker 1: Cupboard full to the brim of drink bottles, right in front of five kids drink bottles. My husband turns around and says to me, oh, I didn't know they were in that cupboard. Sorry, you've lived in the house for two years. We mutually live in this house. This is the cupboard that has always held all of the And now I realized the reason why he keeps buying more friggin drink bottles.
Speaker 2: Is because he didn't know that.
Speaker 1: He thought he was losing them, and he didn't realize they were just going into a cupboard.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, you don't live in the Royal Palace. The kitchen is not that big. He could have figured it out. I know I'm calling it. I'm going to use the term weaponized in competence.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I mean let's not let's not sorry big terms around that some.
Speaker 2: People might not know the meaning to. You can tell what I've learned something new, I will drop it.
Speaker 1: Matt said, you know, I might have had a man's look. He's like, but I really try this time.
Speaker 2: I thought I was looking in the right covert rubbish.
Speaker 1: And I think that there has to be more to this, because it can't just be weaponized in competence. Men out there, surely they're just as capable at looking for things as their female counterparts.
Speaker 2: Oh they're lazy and they're not as smart. That's odd.
Speaker 1: All the men in the car turning over to listen to I don't know who else is on the afternoons. No, okay, look, there's minimal research on this topic, which might come as a surprise. But there is a theory. It's called the hunter gatherer hypothesis.
Speaker 2: So this is what it says.
Speaker 1: Some researchers suggest that men inherently struggle to find things more than women. However, some researchers suggest that men's brains might be more adept at identifying distant, rapidly moving objects like pray, while women's brains are better at recognizing nearby static objects like berries and household eyes.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Because we have lost me at pray, do.
Speaker 2: You learn are out?
Speaker 1: They're catching balls and women are catching drink bottles.
Speaker 3: I mean that's literally what my husband does is gold key Bye catches balls.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's my first thought.
Speaker 3: Why the hell are we doing research studies on why men can't find stuff?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 3: We haven't done them on endometriosis, we haven't done them on menopause, we haven't done them all.
Speaker 2: I'm all for this that he need to be done. No, come back to me, come back to me. We've done research on menopause. Then we can talk about why men can't find stuff.
Speaker 3: I literally just got off the I mean you were in the break, Laura. You were listening to my conversation with my husband. He's at my house and left him out some keys, and I'm trying to talk him through where they are and I'm like, no, Ben, they're right in front of you. He's like, I can't see them. They're not here. It was infuriating. I could see them.
Speaker 2: In the FaceTime. I'm like, they're they're there. He couldn't see them, and I'm like, what is wrong with men?
Speaker 3: But I'm glad now we've got the research that he can't find a berry, but he could catch a ball and find the prey.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've made this very heterosexual. But what about if you're in a same sex What if it's two men they never find anything, but grace, you're in a same sex relationship, Surely there's someone in your household who just can't find anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I suck at looking for things.
Speaker 1: And my partner's like, if I find it in three seconds, I'll be so mad.
Speaker 2: That's an empty threat, because you know you are mad.
Speaker 3: Nah, But you win them over, and I know you would to you about your eyelids.
Speaker 2: I'm very lovable proclaimed Just look, we're getting out of here. I've got shit to look for anyway,