Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts. You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Got anything, gag Hey?
Speaker 3: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast Now.
Speaker 1: Over the last couple of days, as we get to know you and introduce the show to you, guys, we've been beginning the show with stories of hope because I think we really need them. There's something nourishing about them in such a tough and trying week. This week, Patsy, what is Ahmed's gofund me campaign up to now? Is that the guy's a millionaire. It's such a beautiful story out of such pain and sadness. On Sunday night, we didn't even at this time last week, we didn't know Armored. Yeah, it was in the community doing good. Is this one of those people? Now we do know who he is? And Patsy, what's it up to now? This incredible go fund me page which is raising money for armed from all over the world.
Speaker 4: It's incredible, Christian. It's over two and a half million now, so two million, one hundred and fifty seven thousand, nine hundred and fifty four dollars. It's gone up by about two hundred k, which is just phenomenal and beautiful.
Speaker 1: And he still goes back to work. He's still going to have a couple more surgeries and I get the things. Someone like that is someone who wants to be part of a community, and he will.
Speaker 2: Be going back to that tobacconist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I lovet Shanie's going to be doing a Monday to Saturday shift anymore. It might be you know, sporadic hours. It might have Bef traveling.
Speaker 2: Around the world again. But what a lovely thing this has been.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's just so heartwarming. William Markham has written, Ahmed, I don't know how much a coffee would cost at Bondai, but the next ten are on me, mate, And if you're ever in the Northern Territory, find me and I'll take you to the best fishing spots in the world. You're a fair Dinkham legend, he is. And Beth Schmutter has also written, Ahmed, do you save many lives? Thank you for the heroic actions. I also want to acknowledge your parents for raising such a special person. Healing thoughts to you and happiness to your family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his mom and dad spoke so wead about their son, and his mum just said at one point this is who our son is.
Speaker 2: Incredible thing. Rio. There were some special scenes down at Bondai yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, down at the Bondai Memorial there's this beautiful vigil full of mountain essentially of beautiful flowers, and it's obviously very quiet, very somber. And then this legend Matthew Hayes just started singing. Just a regular guy, not a singer, just a regular bloke just started singing, I Am you are, we are Australian, which is a gutsy move to just suddenly start, you know, start breaking out in song. But then the rest of the crowd slowly, bit by bit joined him until they were in you know, this full chorus singing this beautiful Australian iconic song.
Speaker 2: Let's ever listen.
Speaker 3: We are one, but we are.
Speaker 6: Androm the lands on Earth we come, we share, try and sing with one voice.
Speaker 2: You Oh my god, that is incredible.
Speaker 1: Don't he find through this week you feel connected more to each other?
Speaker 2: Definitely?
Speaker 3: Definitely?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I feel deb connected to you guys, to this city, to the people who I don't even know, who've done these incredible acts of courage this week, and also just the acts of kindness people all over the world seeing what Australia is growing through at the moment, and also just so many great stories of hope that really will last longer than what happens Sunday night.
Speaker 2: That's what's been really really lovely.
Speaker 1: You know that's singing down there last night, That's going to stay with me more over the weekend than the scenes on the bridge on Sunday night. If there are any stories of hope that you know about that we're not talking about, please let me know. You can email me Christiana Christian O'Connell dot com dot au.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Every Friday on our show we do a thing called our Friday Recommendations where if you're looking for a new TV show or movie or a book it might be somebody want to get into over some of the Christmas break, We've got you covered and you can share this morning as well. What are you really enjoying at the moment, might be your favorite TV show or movie of the year, or a book that you love that you'd love us who talk about four seven five, three one oh four three Ria, What are your Friday Recommendations.
Speaker 5: You guys have to watch a Moody Christmas. It is maybe the most underrated Australian show ever. Matt, have you, I'm surprised you.
Speaker 2: Yes? What's his name?
Speaker 1: The guy from Patrick from Patrick Bramble. Yes, frost Bey, a young Patrick Bramble from Colin from mccaiy is a very young Patrick.
Speaker 2: Love that show. Yes.
Speaker 5: It's also written by Trent O'Donnell, who's written probably Australia's best like TV writer. He's written for Hacks Brooklyn ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Oh one Girl.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's incredible and it is It's only one season, which is such a shame because it is the perfect TV show. It is set in It's one Christmas, one family Christmas every single year, the Moody family.
Speaker 2: So it's six episodes and it's year after year after year after a great idea. And you never see in Australia.
Speaker 5: We never get Christmas shows or movies that are actually set in Australia.
Speaker 2: It's always a white.
Speaker 5: Christmas, it's always snow, it's home alone, and this is such such a it's an Aussie Christmas. Yet it's set in this backyard every year. This Dad's promising to build this pool that he never gets around to, and it's just this amazingly ozsy dysfunctional family.
Speaker 1: I just sat down and watched that with my family this year because yeah, when we obviously for us that Christmas you talk about, which is every Christmas movie that's always just how it's been, right, So she moved to suddenly Australia and now Christmas here is completely different. Yes, you're in thonged shorts. You look at it going Happy Christmas and there's a barbecue one yeah yeah, yeah, there's no great there's no mark, there's no snow. It's different and so yeah, I feel like I want to embrace an Aussie Christmas.
Speaker 2: I will watch that.
Speaker 5: Yeah you should, and all Australians should. I think everyone will love it. It's a real dry Australian humor. I cannot believe it hasn't got more seasons. It's so it's on ABC I view.
Speaker 2: Then one of the writers is from my hometown of Cannable.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, So every time I say him, I'm like, mate, well done.
Speaker 2: That is one of the greatest things you've ever written. So have you got have you both seen it past? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Ri?
Speaker 4: Are you say dysfunctional, but I say quite normal.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right.
Speaker 1: Right, there are no functional families. When you get your own one and you think, well, I'm going to do it's so much better than my marriage as a dad with nineteen and twenty one year old daughters. I think I've improved it by three percent. It's good and it turns out so much harder. You think it's so much than you think. All right, we're going to take a break. We'll come back with your recommendations. Share yours with us. On four seventy five O three one oh four three.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show by gust we're.
Speaker 1: Doing our Friday recommendations. TV showings, books and movies. So we've enjoyed might be something you want to get into over the weekend or over Christmas.
Speaker 2: I just suddenly.
Speaker 1: Realized when you get up early in the morning, your brain is not fully awake, and suddenly a couple of hours later you're like, oh my god, what did I do that?
Speaker 2: For today?
Speaker 1: Is that we're leaving the airbnb flat we've been in all this week, and obviously my wife is still asleep, and so I had to leave early this morning. And because I haven't been sleeping very well. I slept in the spare room last night, and so I suddenly thought, I haven't read the details. You know, they all have different protocols of what you're doing on checkout. So I just stripped the bed, fold it all up and throw it in the bath. I'm just suddenly working up. Now my wife is going to think did an even accident. I didn't know why they stripped them best fine stripp the bed. I think it outs the cleaning team. Okay, I'm like part of the cleaning team. I think it's a nice gift. Stripped the bet Okay, but rolling I've been putting in the bath is expressed.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that. And this is why my wife is going to wake up at some.
Speaker 1: Point the next half an hour and go, oh my god, maybe that age where it had a litlex last time.
Speaker 2: It's a bit embarrassed. It just doesn't want me to see the mess, mummy. Can you clean the sheets? Don't check them all? Right?
Speaker 1: Our Friday recommendations. There's a movie I watched the last weekend right and before I before I recommended it, just joined up Paul Kelly song. I went online to see what kind of critical reaction. It's gott I'm afraid to say. It's been critically panned on Rotten Tomatoes twenty one percent. That's pretty low. A major newspaper in this country said, it's a dumb movie that thinks you're dumb. Oh, I have to say, I loved it, well you. I don't know what that says about me and my dumb kids, but we just loved our asters off for an hour and a half is a relentlessly silly, playful movie.
Speaker 2: It's called Playdate. It's Kevin James. Oh, I want to see this. I want to say absolutely right.
Speaker 1: I made my daughter, made my nineteen year old daughter Lowis watch it with me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I tried all the emotional bribery that I had. Okay, I said she could pick takeaway, but she needs to watch us movie for at least half an hour. Since youd, dad, this is brilliant. It's for let me see funny. There's enough of a plot. Okay, there's enough of a plot to sustain it. It's got Kevin James, who I will watch in anything, and also he co stars some on I didn't know could do comedy. Is actually funny than caj in it. Alan Richardson, who is the Matt Mountain that is Reacher the TV show Reacher better than Tom Cruise's Reacher.
Speaker 2: He's in it and is very funny.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to see he's very gifted at physical comedy. So she got the two of these. They're like two cartoon men. We really really loved it. I thought, if you just want some of these, that's unpretentiously silly and it's going to make you laugh for an hour.
Speaker 2: And a half.
Speaker 1: And I think we all need that right now. Watch Playdate. It's on Amazon Prime. And the other thing that I found actually of great comfort this week. It's a book I've read many times before. It's a book I've gifted to other people before as well. It's Called's got a lovely title, is called What Matters Most. It's written by a guy called James Hollis. James Hollis is been a psychotherapist, a counselor, I think for about fifty years. He's in his eighties, he's still a counselor. He's written about twenty books. This book is him just talking about actually, at the end of the day, here's what matters in the world.
Speaker 2: It's a lovely book.
Speaker 1: It is about happiness, but it's removed of any of the bs and psychobabble cliche you get in too many books and a self out stuff when they talk about happiness.
Speaker 2: This isn't a very different way. I wouldn't say it's for a fainthearted.
Speaker 1: But whenever I read this book, even a couple of chapters this week, I find myself deeply more connected to myself.
Speaker 2: And I think that when we.
Speaker 1: Come back towards ourself and actually what does matter most, you find that, actually you find that you in other people.
Speaker 2: And I think we really need that this week. I really need it this week. I cannot recommend this book enough.
Speaker 1: It's such a beautiful it's funny, it's got grace, it's got light and joy.
Speaker 2: It is a lovely book. It's a very easy book to read.
Speaker 1: It's called What Matters Most by James Hollis, and he also wrote a great book that really helped me in my mid forties called Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life. It was such a powerful book for me. After three chapters, I turned to my wife and went, that's it. I think we should move to Australia. Oh now, James Hollis does not recommend that it's not a book about emigrating and blowing up your life in your mid forties.
Speaker 2: But that was the we.
Speaker 1: They said that we bring you know ourselves to any book. You could read a book rio and they have a completely different meaning. Three chapters into that book about finding me your second enough, like I get it, James, no more gout to the chase.
Speaker 2: I'm booking one way fights.
Speaker 1: I'm quitting a successful, easy job and moving to Australia.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast