Speaker 1: Good a, Peter Helly he Welcome to you, and Seeing Nothing Yet the Movie podcast where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now.
Speaker 2: And today's guest comedian Kurty Weebeck Ever dance with the Devil on the pale line.
Speaker 1: I'm walking here, I'm walking here. Of all the gin joints in all the towns.
Speaker 2: In all the world, she walks in the mine. Haven't any right?
Speaker 3: Seeing nothing here.
Speaker 2: Along.
Speaker 1: Over ten years ago, I began doing gigs with a newcomer from Tasmania, Luke McGregor. I remember it so well because I often stood at the back of the room and watched as audiences would go from who is this guy? To like minutes later being bent over in joyous raptures. Today's guest Cursey Webeck is doing the exact same thing. You can't help but surrender the Cursey immediately. She has an almost festive vibe, joyful, smart, and life affirming in these deeply troubling times. Cursey is a must follow on Twitter. She tweets regularly and always keeps it funny. Kursey had a breakout Melbourne International Comedy Festival with her new.
Speaker 2: Show Chuck a Sicky.
Speaker 3: I saw it.
Speaker 2: It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Her Cursey Weebeck's assume Comedy Hour has become a beacon for many Aussies in lockdown. Cursey is hilarious, kind and has a laugh and a disposition that are bloody infectious.
Speaker 2: And I'm stoked be hanging with her today.
Speaker 3: Hello, my name's Kirsty Weebeck, and my three favorite films are The Gurneys, Kids Love and Other Catastrophes.
Speaker 2: Let I'll start watching Oprah and smoking giant reefers and eating chocky.
Speaker 3: Bars and oh jeez, let's say never any story. Why don't you do what you dream fast in? Up until this week, I, oddly enough, had never seen Alien.
Speaker 1: Made ten years out the Stanley Kubrick's two thousand and one A Space Odyssey, and two years after George Lucas is Star Wars. Really, Scott's Alien feels somewhere in between. Merchant Vessel and Nostramo receives a stress signal, and against some of the advice of the human crew, they decide to investigate from a script and Dan O'Bannon from director Ridley Scott with a cracking cast including Tom Scarett, Einholm, John Hurt, Veronica cart Right and Harry Dean Stanton. But without a doubt, this is Sigourney Weavers film, her first lead role in the feature film, and she is an absolute weapon in one of the greatest sci fi films ever made. Kersey Weebeck, have you ever survived an alien attack?
Speaker 3: I haven't. That will probably surprise you to know, but I've never I've actually never been involved in one. But I'm cocky enough to imagine that if I were involved in one, I would triumph.
Speaker 2: After my mum.
Speaker 1: In fact, my wife does it as well. She'll watch a film like a war film, and she'll just go, I just don't think I'll be very good at war. Like It's like, no, shit, Mum, I.
Speaker 3: Relate to that. I think that, And when I'm watching something, I do the same thing. I imagine if I was in that situation, and I'm like, no, I'm all equipped for that, which is also probably why I'm not in the army. So it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Why you chose alien? Why did you choose this one?
Speaker 3: Okay, the answer to this is very amusing to me. Sigourney Weaver particularly as Ripley in Alien is a queer icon. Yeah, and even though I've never seen Alien before, I'm very well aware of Ripley and and I guess yeah, I was like, it's almost I'm gonna have to handback my license if I if I don't get across this film, you know, like they're gonna they're gonna come around and they're going to be like, you've got to dump l and you have to marry Brian, the nice man from the local church with the side park. So I wanted to get across it. But you know, I remember a few years ago I made a joke on Twitter about how there's always a debate about nature versus nurture with you know, people being gay, and that people don't choose to be gay. What happens is they see Ripley in Alien and then they are told that they are gay afterwards. I had no business making jokes like that without watching Alien.
Speaker 2: It always, I mean, we've all done it.
Speaker 1: We've all made a joke about using something as a punchline that maybe you know we're not actually you know I've seen or are across. I always feel a little kind of like, I hope not I hope I get busted, and always double check if I use it in the right context.
Speaker 2: I always will quick Google search.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Like is Ripley hot? Yes? She is? Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to come back.
Speaker 1: We've got a whole to talk about Sigourney Weaver and Ripley and Alien, but I want to talk about your three fabulous favorite films.
Speaker 2: Goonies. I don't remember being in anyone's top three, but what what a film that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an absolute ripper, and I revisited it, will actually revisit it a lot. But I did so again really recently, like only a couple of months ago, and it's still it holds up. I mean, there's there's some you know, there's some elements to it that probably wouldn't feature in a film these days, definitely, but you know, it's not not subject to cancelation. It's still good viewing. You know, there's films from my childhood that I've gone back as an adult and watched and I've been like, wow, I used to watch that literally every single weekend. But you know, the Goonies, Like, I'm sure that the portrayal of Sloth is probably something that would be contentious in this day and age, you.
Speaker 2: Don't know who's Sloth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so Sloth is he's sort of the hero. He ends up being the hero of the film, but you don't actually find out why. But he essentially has he's got facial differences, he's very like, he's very large. I suppose in the day they were probably going down that, trying to portray him as grotesque in some way, so that then later on it'd be like, oh, wow, he's actually the hero and he's so lovable and blah blah blah. So yeah, definitely, by today's standards, there's huge ableism issues in there around Sloth. He does end up being the hero of the story in the end, which is, you know, it's lovely, but it's certainly problematic against today's standards and the way that he's treated by the family as well. But also even for its time, I suppose like him being the hero, and also like Chunk is one of the main characters, and him and Sloth become best friends as a movie wears on and and their love for each other is like one of the most beautiful things about the whole movies, Like they just adore each other, so that friendship, like it could have been chunk in anybody having that friendship. But it's just so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a gorgeous film.
Speaker 1: And I watched it probably a while ago now probably that's six seven years ago with my kids. It's a great film to watch with your kids. If you haven't seen it. It's it's made by the late Richard Donna, written by Christopher Columbus. It's got Josh Brolan, Sean Aston, It's it's it's a cracker.
Speaker 2: It's it's really it is really fun.
Speaker 3: It is, Yeah, it absolutely is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And do you know what like lost character in them in the film? It was never punched down on either, which I suppose is a really which is fascinating to the time that it was made. It like to have a character like that, and yeah, to allow them to be like a central character and in a positive is for the time, I think pretty amazing. But you're right, it's a wonderful film. It's an all star cast and I think even by today's standards, it's quite an interesting watch.
Speaker 1: And Love and other Catastrophes great Aussie film. It feels like one that gets a bit lost when we talk about you know great Aussie films. It was a huge hit at the time, an indie hit I think it maybe with the Sun Dance and became quite big, made on a kind of shoestring budget. I have a loose connection with this film because the writer or co writer, Yeah old Bergman, ended up producing the film that I made, I Love You Too, in twenty and ten, so I really loved to You. Haven't seen it for a while, but yeah, I remember seeing when it came out, and I remember going to the Nova Cinema because there was a Q and A with the director of the film, Emma Kate Krogan.
Speaker 2: So she went on to do a strange planet. I'm not sure what she I don't think she's done a lot recently.
Speaker 1: But I remember there was a Q and A and somebody stood up because a lot of it is set in at Melbourne University. And somebody asked the question saying, I went, I go to Melbourne University and I noticed that when Matt Day's characters walking around the university, it doesn't quite make sense based on the geography of Melbourne University. And she'd have said, it's a film.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. I saw people saying that on Twitter recently about how you know how The Secret Life of Us has had like a resurgence recently through being on Netflix, and someone did the same thing. They were like, wait, that bridge in Saint Kilda isn't on that side, And I was like, well, imagine having that attention to detail, like I can barely remember the character's names after watching several seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope it doesn't get in their way of them actually enjoying the film. I can imagine that guy during Love and other ass going, But Matt Day, are you walking in the wrong bloody direction.
Speaker 2: That's not how you get to the science lab.
Speaker 3: You're on your way to the cafeteria. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Why does this film mean so much to you?
Speaker 3: I remember watching it when I was in I would have been in year eleven and I was doing film studies and I really wanted to do something like either you know, down the drama routal or media and so I was really interested in film at the time. And we had this really cool course where we watched a lot of Australian films and we talked about them and wrote essays on them and whatever, and we watched it in that class, and my teacher at the time was a really big fan of it, and I think was loosely linked to some of the people involved in it as well, and maybe it even came out around that time, but anyway, it was I was really fascinated. I think they made it on an absolute shoe string in a few weeks, and I think think it was like ten to fifteen thousand dollars or something, and they shot it like in ten days or something like that, and it was just like just a great feat and even the themes in it. I mean at that time in my life, I was like seventeen years old and like working stuff out, and you know, it was kind of cool watching some slightly older people trying to make sense of it, and I think it just really resonated with me. And funnily enough, a few years back, I was I was on tour with stand up and I actually I saw Alice Garner, who played one of the characters in Love and Other Catastrophis. I saw her at the airport and I don't usually do this. I usually just let people get on with their day, but I really had to say something to her on behalf of like teenaged to me. So I was like, sorry, excuse me, Alice, I just wanted to let you know that, like Love and Other Catastrophees is one of my favorite films, and it was like it was such an important film to me when I was a teenager, and I just had this overwhelming urge to let you know. And she was like, oh, well, thank you. Oh I haven't. I haven't thought about that for ages. And I think she's a professor at the UNI, at one of the universities or something now, like she's an academic, and I guess her life just took a completely different turn after you know, her early twenties or whatever when she was acting, and so I could really see in her eyes that i'd like just teleported her somewhere. And she wasn't mean to me or anything, but she was just like, oh, oh cool, thanks. So now I've gone back to leaving everyone alone.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she would have walked away and kind of gone I wish I had said something a bit more succinct. Lovely woman who came up to me and paid me that compliment.
Speaker 3: She was just trying to get a coffee, so fair enough.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine like, can you imagine somebody like, Yeah, George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Sigourney Weaver, let's let's stick with aliens.
Speaker 2: Sigourney like.
Speaker 1: The amount of people who would feel they need to take that opportunity, I mean, they would just have they will probably just have their reply locked and loaded, almost I imagine it. Maybe alis Ganer doesn't have that flood of people raining compliments about love and other catastrophes Sigourney Weaver does about alien.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Yeah. Maybe she went away and she was like, oh, if people are going to start approaching me about loving other catastrophes, maybe I should have a little go to phrase that I can say to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, love and other compliments. Thank you, Alice, if you're listening, that's yours.
Speaker 2: That's free.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'll let you know if she takes it on board next time I approach her.
Speaker 2: Never ending story has popped up quite a bit in this podcast. It's not a film. I must say.
Speaker 1: I've seen it, but it doesn't live in my heart as you don't. I don't dislike it, it just doesn't live in my heart as much as it does for so many other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that's fair enough. I won't. I won't be upset about that. Look, I've got a lot of firm views on the Never Ending Story, because you know, at the risk of giving away you know, a part of the film that's been given away many times. So if anyone's listening and doesn't know this squaller yet, then that's on you. You need to get out more. Don't get out more?
Speaker 1: What have I done?
Speaker 2: Canceled twice on.
Speaker 3: DH Chess is going to be on the blower to me, and I'll be like, no, I didn't mean it that way. It was figured him.
Speaker 2: People are out in the streets, breaking lockdown, searching for never Ending Story.
Speaker 3: Searching high and low for Alice Garner to give her the advice. So I, as an adult, I think it is such a bold move to commence a film with a tragic death of a beloved character, especially a film that was designed for children. No wonder so many people in my generation are having a rough one. We grew up on that stuff and I genuinely used to watch it all the time with my sisters, and every time we were inconsolable. But it was still one of my favorite movies. What does that say?
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 1: I go to it's always a big move when films that are designed for kids young adults even to kill off any character, let alone very early. I mean, is an extraordinary the kind of the opening sequence or you know, close to the opening sequence of Up where he loses his wife and it kind of goes through how they match, and it's an extraordinary piece of filmmaking. But it's just not what I expected walking in to a Pixar film about a guy who ties balloons to his house and floats away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is such a bold maneuver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never ending story and we thought I've only really seen it the once is in the same category.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, very much so, it's yeah, the Yeah, like the horse at the beginning, it's a horse as well as an animal, really devastating.
Speaker 1: But he wouldn't get away with it. Now, kill humans, not not animals. Humans must have animals.
Speaker 3: Don't never kill a horse. Never. It's it's even funny that I said that as one of my favorite films. I mean, that's the worst question you could ask somebody with my personality type, because like, your favorite three films, I was like, what are three films? I know, No, that's not true. The other two are genuine, but like, if I'm going to be honest with you, the Never Ending Story, the last time I watched it, which was a couple of years ago, it didn't hold up. It was like incredibly boring. Yeah, I didn't love it. Should we just end the podcast here? That I've absolutely wrecked it?
Speaker 1: That is the most underwhelming third favorite film I've ever had on not not because of the not because of the chosen movie. That movie, The Never Ending Story has been included in others top three films, but the fact that you watched it recently and it didn't stack up and still remains in your three favorite films any way, that's that's acceptable, is if you've only seen three films.
Speaker 3: The other thing about it is that like I absolutely could have just carried on talking about it and no one ever needed to know that. The truth is, I'm over it. But like repressed Catholic guilt got the better of me, from my solid twelve years of Catholicism as a child. It got the better of me, and I was like, do you know what, I'm going to have to let Pete's podcast listeners know that this is diffingenuous.
Speaker 1: This is this is as close as we've ever come to a scandal. This might be the most controversial episode either. You ain't see nothing yet ever based on the Alice Garner stuff.
Speaker 2: Now, now that you are completely.
Speaker 1: Over your third favorite film, supposed to the third favorite film of all time, could you not think of a third film? Or were you trying to kind of just let people know that for a period of time this movie meant a lot to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I like that. I like that explanation. For a period of time, it meant the world to me as a child, absolutely, And when when I made the decision to talk about it today, Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that it was going to completely end my career.
Speaker 1: I mean, I really, I really wish it wouldn't come to that. I really do, and I really hope. But I can't control that Cursie.
Speaker 2: It's up to the it's up to the Twitter spear.
Speaker 1: You see what happens. Probably don't need to plug those zoom dates at the at the end of.
Speaker 3: The show, I've got nothing left to plug. The calendar is empty.
Speaker 2: Let's let's chat about Alien. Did you did you love it?
Speaker 3: Yes? I actually did. I know no one's going to believe the word I say. Now, but.
Speaker 2: Did you did?
Speaker 3: You? Really? Did I even watch it? We don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you lied about Sigourney Weaver on Twitter three years ago. Now it's got to stop this lying about seeing Alien.
Speaker 2: And now you liked story.
Speaker 3: It ends here today, it ends now. Did I actually did? I've got a very short attention span these days for movies, but actually, here you go. I guess I liked it so much that Ellen I actually the following night watched Aliens right, and then last night we watched Aliens three.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So that's something.
Speaker 2: That's that's it. We're on a bender that you may you may, you may be on your way back.
Speaker 1: You know you your career had just fallen off a cliff. And this is a good lesson for anyone out there. Just when you think everything's done, it's over, you never know when you can turn a corner, and you have just turned a massive corner.
Speaker 3: You can call your way back by getting around the whole franchise.
Speaker 1: Well, it's fun because I saw Aliens the sequel before I saw Alien. I saw it in the cinemas because that comes out ten years later. It's directed by James Cameron, and so I saw that and then went back and watched Alien, and I have to say, I really love revisiting this film.
Speaker 2: I feel like most most weeks.
Speaker 1: You know, this is a podcast that deals in classic film, so you know, it's very rarely is there film that I'm underwhelmed by. It maybe happened once or twice. But I really I really enjoyed watching this again. And I had the same thought of like, I think I might watch Aliens tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you sure, I reckon, We're going to keep going. We're just going to smash through everything that we can to do with it. In a week's time, I'll be like and I was watching an Alien Versus Predator, like, we're into it. I did. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: I got a.
Speaker 3: So I did the rental thing through one of the streaming services that we have, and so because you rent, you rent it for whatever thirty days or whatever. The following day there was a like can you review the film kind of thing, and I didn't. I absolutely didn't do that, but I did take the opportunity to make a tweet out of it. So I screenshoted it and this was my immediate feedback. It was everything was too wet. Like my initial thought really early on in watching it, I was like, why is everything so wet? Like why is the alien so wet? What in the whole environment everything's wet?
Speaker 2: The alien does have some jeweling issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was reading on Wikipedia earlier that I wish I had a good memory because it was not that long ago, and I already can't remember what I read. But I think it was a Swedish artist created the alien, and I've just got so many questions for him because it's it is just an awful alien, like why has it got so many teeth?
Speaker 2: So many teeth no eyes?
Speaker 1: And I love it because, you know, were used to seeing aliens almost like in kind of human form as far as you know, two arms, two legs, it's like a human in a suit. I really liked that this didn't look like that, even though it is played by a six foot ten Nigerian and I'll give you his name because they found him in a vlajibideo. They found him in an English pub. He'd moved to London to study. I'm not sure it's the art or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And one of the producers is there. They're looking for somebody to to play the alien in the suit, and they found him. But it doesn't look you know, it's not shaped like a human. The only sum it looks a little bit human is right at the end when it kind of gets blasted away from the spaceship. It kind of looks like they've gone back to almost the two legs, to kind of a model that worked so well for over the years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I mean, I don't know much about film history, among lots of other topics, but it wasn't even on my radar how they created the alien. Yeah, Like I hadn't thought about it if it was a human inns fuit or if it were like CGI. But like I don't even know when CGI came in. Like I think alien was only made in life? Was it seventy nine?
Speaker 2: Seventy nine? Yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: I wasn't born then, so I don't know what was going on. I had no idea how it was made. But I think the point that I'm trying to make is that you're right, like, never at any point does it look like a human in a suit. Like I wasn't like, oh, that's clearly someone playing that alien. It was more like it had been created in some way something robot alien with disgusting teeth and too much wetness.
Speaker 2: A lot of wetness.
Speaker 1: As I said in the intro, like it does feel like it lives somewhere between two thousand and one, which is, you know, a film not for everyone. Like, you know, I can completely understand I really enjoyed two thousand and one. We did it recently Tony Armstrong and I really enjoyed it. But I can totally understand that my dad, I would never recommend him watch two thousand and one in space obviously, And I feel like this literally that in Star Wars, Like it's it's a really smart script. It takes its time, it builds mood, but it's also really entertaining, Like it's you know, you could there are themes in this film that you could take on if you want to, or you could just leave them.
Speaker 2: Alone and enjoy this as a horror sci fi epic.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah. And it's definitely got plenty of like kind of moments in it as well. Yeah, Like it serves very well as a bit of a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cat, the cat is responsible for half of them. I think I think the alien has maybe one or two more scares than the cat. The cat is, how did you respond to the cat because you have a cat named Joan memory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my dog's named Joan. Yeah. No, don't apologize. You've got your own life to worry about, Pete. You don't have to any.
Speaker 1: I usually researched this a podcast to an absolute to the end degree, and I apologize.
Speaker 2: I got the name of your dog wrong.
Speaker 3: We found a flaw in the process. So what is it. You've got confused between Joan and Fergie and their species or you just couldn't be bothered researching my backstory enough.
Speaker 1: The ladder the latter was, I thought you got bored. I thought we've hung out enough. We've done enough things together over the years.
Speaker 3: I don't need to I don't want to know about boring. I just see you like throwing my file back in your filing cabinet, like no, I'm done pulling out Alice Garner's and writing down how she can respond to compliments instead. So Joan's the cat. It was an interesting crossover pet for me, because you're right, I've got a dog called Joan very close to Jones, and a cat called Fergie who has some physical attributes that are quite similar. To Joones the Cat. So the Cat was very stirring for me. Yeah, very close to home.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's an interesting thing because there's a series of books called Save the Cat and it's it's a screenwriting to help with screenwriting, and they're very popular books. I have them, to be absolutely honest, I have not read them. But it was only when I was watching this that I thought, Oh, I wonder if this is where they got the name. I've often wondered why they name those books Save the Cat, and I've always guessed it's because we've spoken about this on this podcast before.
Speaker 2: Giving characters.
Speaker 1: Something they do to kind of to make you cheer for them, you know, show that they have you know, they're they're a good person at heart. And I think Ripley kind of putting effort into saving the cat, which you know not everybody would in this situation, gives her that humanity that we love to see now, Pagan, so I imagine. Yeah, and let us know at yasny Podcasts at gmail dot com if you know, if you've read Save the Cat, is this movie the inspiration?
Speaker 2: I would love to know? But yeah, the cat, the cat survives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's amazing and then goes into oh oh, no, I've forgotten the word. I was so pleased about this new word that I was learning as well, what does she what do they call it when she goes into the sleep thing to like come back to earth or whatever?
Speaker 2: We call it the pod, let's call it the pod.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll call it the pod. There's like, ah, anyway, whatever. Hopefully it comes to me by the end of the podcast. If not, all the listeners will were just as annoyed about it as me.
Speaker 2: So I can pod sleep chamber capsule.
Speaker 3: It's more a word about the state as opposed to like the actual.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I read it like fifty times this morning. So cool story. Curse he thanks for coming on my podcasts. I keep presenting these ideas and just trailing off and staring into space.
Speaker 1: I did wonder why in the in the slip capsule or the sleeping pod that why they had to wear it looked like nappies. I mean the shorts or nappies are one of them, Like the one way we're kind of almost looking at the leg. I think which character it was looked like a nappy, and I think the others were wearing shorts. But I think they worked out if if we're going to if you want this shot, we're shooting up the leg of you know, Tom Scarett or John Hurt or whoever it was, we need some coverage, so we need to kind of fold in the short.
Speaker 2: But it made it look like a nappy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I missed that. You're you're you were really getting into the film. I was like, I was at the broader picture while you were really honing in. You're like, I don't understand why Tom scaret had that dimple just below his left knee, Like, what's that about? Was that an injury?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: The other thing was there was no alien that I saw. I mean, I was, I was focused on various issues, but I didn't see an alien. I mean I saw the nappy, and I saw Tom Skerrett's bed.
Speaker 2: It was more his bed. I thought, oh, that's interested in that they have that in Top Gun, you know, years later, or Pick of Fences.
Speaker 3: But you spent a long time worrying about the length of Jones's clause, so you missed all the appearances like the alien, and that's fair enough. You had a lot.
Speaker 1: I thought Jones was the alien. I thought, this is basically Garfield terrorizing the spaceship.
Speaker 3: Was everyone so scared? It's just a domestic tat cat. Just feed it, Just feed it, give it a cuddible. Hey is it? I think the words. I think it's stasis, the S T A S I S, which is a terrible word to spell when you have a list, But I think I think that's the word I was looking for before. I think that's what they were calling it when she was going into the sleep chamber to come back to Earth.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, there you go. We've learned something. Stasis. Uh, the state of stasis. I've never had that word before.
Speaker 3: I like that. Well, I've brought an incredibly boring fact to the podcast today. Also, feel free to have me on again next week if you want, Pete. I'll understand if you want me to come on each week.
Speaker 1: The the thing I love about the opening of this film, it kind of takes its time and it's just all about atmosphere.
Speaker 2: It puts us in Like the sound design is kind of starting.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it's very wet, but that's dripping water and the kind of echo wee kind of nature in the score or just puts us exactly where we need to be. It takes its time, and I think the spacecraft is for nineteen seventy nine. This is ye know, as I've said the intro two year out the Star Wars, the spacecraft is stunning, like it still looks so good. The design of this film is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree with that. I said several times during the film that it's amazing to me that it was made so long ago. Other than like the computer effects, like obviously that is blatantly very dated, like how they're hacking away at the main frame and the pixelated doss kind of words come across and whatever. But outside of that, like the actual computer technology, the spaceship completely holds up like it looks amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And it reminded me because you're basically waiting the genius. Part of the genius. One of the genius things about this film.
Speaker 1: It's called alien, so you know, you know he's going to be an alien, and it sounds stupid to point that out, but there's like it does like if this, if this become if this is called Ripley, Like you're watching this not knowing that this is about, you know, basically a monster movie and everyone's you know, you kind of know that you've seen enough movies that lives are going to be at the very least endangered. Some people will probably die. We don't know who's going to die. But it's just like somebody explained to me many years ago. Channel nine this went through a stage where all their shows were as simple as they could possibly be. It was a Today show, it was the Footage show, it was there's another, the Midday show, like it just told you what it was. And they were all like hugely successful, successful shows, not just because.
Speaker 2: Of the name, but.
Speaker 1: You know, the alien is so good because you're just waiting. You're waiting, and I think they use that tension really well. It kind of reminded me.
Speaker 2: Did you ever play what Spotlight? Growing up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You just went around the dark with flash torches looking for it, you know, looking for whoever you were, you know, who was it? I guess it kind of reminded me of that. It gave me a very similar feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the build up and there it could be anybody. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Yeah, you're right. It's it's good that they gave us a big clue with the title. I'm really I'm really ruminating over your the you know, the Footy Show and the Midday Show. And I think probably for next year, I think my festival show will probably be called the Funny Show.
Speaker 2: You know what, It would not be the worst title.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are too many comedians getting to Artie party with their with their show titles.
Speaker 2: Yeah told me you top Bellard, you heard Tom.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Sigourney Weaver. We mentioned her, we have mentioned her, but it's her film she is. She is such a weapon in this film. It said like first she I think she was like had a non speaking part in in any Hall, and I think there might have been one other film I've never heard of. I think anyone's ever heard of. I don't know how big her role was. They came out, but this is basically her first lead role in the feature film, and she does. She barely speaks. She doesn't really say much of any importance. So if you're watching this not knowing any anything about the cast or who are especially focusing on, she doesn't say anything of real value until about twenty two minutes in Like You're not like, I think she's technically third in charge.
Speaker 2: I think they say, but she is. She's so good. She's so good.
Speaker 1: She just looks she looks great as far as the screen presence, she feels the screen. She's like, it's it's hard to you know, there are a few more iconic female roles, I will suggest, and feminist roles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's such a feminist role and that's it very much holds up today. But it blows my mind that that role existed in nineteen seventy nine, like how cutting edge, Like it would have been such a leader in the industry at that time. And yeah, for her just to play such a strong female lead and for you know, there to be no romantic undercurrents or her propping up a man or anything like that, it's absolutely phenomenal. And something I also really love about Sigourney is that she like she looks like a real person as well, And I just love that. I think, like, I think she's such an incredible actor, and she's got such a yeah, an incredible stage presence like you said before, like a screen presence, but then yeah, she looks like a regular person as well, and she's yeah, she's just incredible. She's absolutely phenomenal, amazing in that role, and she's had like such a successful career and it basically all launched from Ripley.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and you know that the franchise exists, you know, because of her. And what's really interesting about the scripts. In the scripts, Ripley was male, but there was a note on it that said, the crew of this space vessel is unisex.
Speaker 2: All these roles are interchangeable. Ripley does not have to be a man, you know.
Speaker 1: So and then they actually thought, and this is really I find it's really fascinating, the producers thought, we're probably a better chance to get this made if Ripley is a female. The twentieth century Fox at the time were actually starting to make more female driven lead films, and they actually thought they saw that as actually something that would help get this film made, which is not something I would have thought was happening in nineteen seventy nine. It feels like a more recent kind of phenomenon that hollywoods finally gone, Oh, there is a whole market for female driven films. Like it's not just about doing the cool thing, it's actually about there's an economic reason, yeah, choices, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because of financial reasons, We're going to look into some equality for a while. It'd be better for our bottom line if we show a bit of diversity in what we're creating. But you're so right, it does feel like a new thing, which is kind of terrifying to know that it was happening in nineteen seventy nine, because essentially what that's saying is that it was something that started to happen, and then they were like, oh, we've made a terrible mistake, let's stop that, and then in recent years have been like, all right, let's try and chose some diversity again. It's been twenty years.
Speaker 1: They got to Alien three and thought, oh, Alien three wasn't as good as Aliens and Aliens, so it kind of maybe we did pull the wrong lever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon, Yeah, I reckon they pulled the wrong lever with Alien three, just quietly no spoilers, but it definitely lost its feminist it's feminist angle by the time it got to that one. But Alien three is brutal, but it's also yeah, it's I don't think it's got very many feminist things running through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, David Fincher, I think took over for that one, and it's I I'm not even sure if I've seen it to be absolutely honest, But I think that the law around it is that they got that one quite wrong.
Speaker 3: M M yeah, yeah, I don't know anything about that. I don't know about the law around it, but having viewed it last night, putting it straight into my brain through my ears and eyes, I can tell you with great authority that they got it pretty wrong.
Speaker 2: What did you think?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the alien. So the first the first time we kind of get any kind of well, we got a sense of it because they responded this distress call and we kind of suspect, okay, it's time.
Speaker 2: You know, we're going to see alien pretty soon. But the genius behind the.
Speaker 1: Face huggers as a thing that happens. It's John Hurt who goes in and we're just going to see something jump up at him, and then it cuts back to the space and then we see we see this this face hugger. What were what were your impressions or what were you thinking when you saw the face hugger?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the initial thing was just that it was such a strange generation of an alien like to me in terms of it not being the stereotypical kind of martiany kind of aliens that we see and just being wrapped around his face. Like sorry to give away what a face hugger.
Speaker 6: Is, but.
Speaker 3: It was. It was just a really bizarre thing. And then yeah, I guess it was just anticipation, like waiting to see how it would unfold after that. And then but having said that, because his character when he when the face hugger like gets off him and whatever and goes away to die, he he gets up and has a meal with everybody, and they just they but they managed to orchestrate that in just such a way that they don't they don't allude to anything overtly, but you just know, like you're like things are about to get real, and and they do. They immediately do. But yeah, like the face hugger, what whose idea was that?
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think it's that that's that Swedish, you know, surreal artists who kind of designed there more he might be Danish. Maybe I'll try I'll try to find that out. Part of it was his idea or it's the design of it was his idea and his work. But just like a genius, like it would have been so easy to have that kind of fright with the alien coming up and you and you need me to see John hurt dad, you know, or his face kind of burnt or whatever it might be. But they have the scene where he's still alive when we don't know what the aliens intentions are, and you've got those great scenes with being home, you know, who is just more fascinated with the alien than is or any of the human life form. And that kind of reveals itself as to why later on. But it's just so brilliant because you are thinking, yeah, how does he get out of this? And that brilliant thing where they try to cut it and the blood is basically acid. Yeah, I think one of the things that they anticipated was the first question people are going to ask is, well, why don't they just shoot the alien? And that gives us the reason. But they can't shoot it because the blood will just burn a hole through this spaceship if you lap of the alien. So it's so good, but you're right in any kind of drama or horror, horror film or so, whenever the characters start having fun, you know they're not going to have fun all the way through the scene. There's going to be here. You can't well, I mean in any kind of writing. You can't start in screenwriting, you can't start happy and and happy in a scene like yeah, scenes kind of, but particularly in horror films, you just know suddenly is going to.
Speaker 2: Happen, and boy, I mean doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Like Ridley Scott didn't tell anyone outside of John Hurt that this was I don't know how it kind of kept it completely a secret, but they didn't know what was about to happen. So the reactions to the alien popping out of his chest real and and and genuine. And the actor Yafa Coodo is his name, he was so shocked and the stress he had to go into his dressing room afterwards and he just stayed there and want to talk to anyone for quite a while.
Speaker 2: It's pretty fullun.
Speaker 1: It's so good when when when you see that, it's almost like he's been shot in the chest, but you're kind of going away, what what happened? It's just blood the bladders, but it's coming from the fucking inside. It's just it's just incredible. What was going on through your head when when popped out?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: What absolute terror? I just massive terror in my house over here. It's funny because I think it's like we've all known that forever, like that's a it's an iconic scene from Alien that even if you haven't seen the film, everybody knows about the scene of an alien bursting out a Sigourney Weaver and that's always been used in trailers and whatever. But like a spoiler alert, that doesn't happen in Alien, And it's just something that they've grabbed as a hook over the years. Right, But obviously when you start watching it, you know that it's going to be within people's bodies in some way, shape or form. But then what it actually happens, it's just so grotesque and so well done that it is truly horrifying, to the point where you, like, my brain immediately just went to imagining that actually happening to me, like just like, oh yuck, I don't want that to happen to me, And oh yap, like what an understatement? Oh no, please, no, please, don't have an alien just come bursting out of my stomach. Oh yeah, oh no, I'm going to faint. But the fact about the actor not knowing and then being horrified by it, that's they used to love doing that back in the day, Like surprising actors with things. And I find that so fascinating because obviously, like I can imagine that that would be a great vehicle obviously for authenticity in the scenes, but just imagine, like, like imagine doing that on like how to stay married in this day and age and then just being sued and having to pay someone's therapy bills and to nurse them back to like their regular mental health baseline because you just absolutely punked them with a flame thrower coming out of a barbecue.
Speaker 2: Nikki Britain, That's that's who it would be, Poor Nikki.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, And there's a big difference between an alien bursting through the chest of John Hurt compared to Richard Gere snapping the necklace box on Julia Roberts's fingers in Pretty Woman, Like that's there are two different there are two different surprises they've pulled. I mean, that's like the alien out of the chest is like first season of Punts. They're snapping the box at Julie Robinson's fingers. That's our series seven. They're running out of ideas.
Speaker 3: Now. There's definitely a spectrum, and I'm sure some of them probably slipped straight off the end of that spectrum when it comes to legality even at the time. But many of those people would argue that it was a different time back then, and I'm sure. I'm very happy that in the things that I do now, we get told what's going to happen. And I certainly haven't been invited to act in anything yet involving anything bursting out of me, so I guess that's a win.
Speaker 5: Also.
Speaker 1: I mean, there were some ideas we had for your butcher character in how to say, there were some bigger ideas. You ran out of time on the day there was going to be a rack of lamb that just got of like burst out.
Speaker 3: It would have been yeah, that's right, it would have been the butcher.
Speaker 1: And then and then and then I was going to pull out sausages and kept pulling them out and eventually there's going to be some flags on them.
Speaker 2: It was going to be quite quite a magic show.
Speaker 3: It was. It was a very tight shedful that day, though, so I can appreciate what it had to be cut.
Speaker 1: The other thing we should mention about the face hugger, of course, is actually what it's happening, which is, well, you know, the articles that I've read and the video essays that they even watched about this there is a rape going on like that, that's and that's what kind of yeah, and then they go too far into but the feminist nature of this film. It's about women's rights and and it kind of like it looks at, you know, as far as the parallels with abortion and rape, and as far as having having to bear a child after you know, something as horrendous as that happens. So there are and these are the things that I mentioned before. As far as you can look into these things if you want in this film, or you can simply watch it as a great fucking popcorn film.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 2: It is full on.
Speaker 1: But when you when you see that alien pop out, dawns on you and immediately, I mean in dawn on me immediately because I'm like, I'm still getting over the shock of seeing an alien pop out of a chest. But when it dawns on you, it's like, oh wow, that's what that's that's what it was doing on his face. It was it was seating himself itself on John Hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can confirm that it's quite a shock in that moment when you realize that because that moment happened for me about ten seconds ago. Well, I'm such a superficial latent viewer of everything that, as you were saying it, I was like, yeah, of course that's what was happening. But in my mind the two events were completely isolated. The face hug of being on his face and then an athalien bursting out of his stomach. We're just two coincidences that happened to an unlucky man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, when I when teenage each Pete was watching Alien after he had seen Aliens, I certainly wasn't thinking.
Speaker 2: I certainly wasn't thinking that. I was like, oh wow, cool special effects and nice take on an alien.
Speaker 1: And think when I was watching it last night, it wasn't like at the forefront of my mind, this is me doing a little bit of deep diving, you know, watching a really good video analysis of it. There's all these things throughout the film and symbolism like the central computer being called Mother. The ship that they go into actually kind of it was designed to look like legs are wide open, and when they go in, it's quite vaginal, if you like, Like, if you look back at it, it is quite like it's like I didn't pick that up when I was watching it, And I don't think you're really supposed to be picking these things up when you first view these, you know, these movies.
Speaker 2: I think these are the things that there to be analyzed later on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you go back to film class, when you got about.
Speaker 2: A film class, when you yeah, when you do a podcast. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but there is comment about male sexual dominance being exerted onto women and society that is all through this film. So it's there if you want to check it out. There's lots of great stuff online about it. But back to the popcorn stuff. Ash, and let's talk about Ash, who Ian Holm, who you know audience will now know from Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. But he also shoves like a rolled up poor mag into into Ripley's mouth. So that's like another I imagine you're suspicious of Ash at some point, like he seems to be the one that is not quite on the same page as everybody else. He ignores the quarantine rules, Dan won't be happy.
Speaker 3: At crime stoppers, yeah, which I did.
Speaker 1: Love when Ripley kind of says, no, you're not coming, you're coming back in line, she just does it it's just that you're not You're.
Speaker 3: Not absolutely not. Yeah, definitely being able to be a thirtive And in that situation, I think, yeah, well you bang on. I think from pretty much day dot in the film, you're like, hmmm, I don't know what it is, but there's something up with Ash, and then uh, that is what Like I even like that though, like there's a lot of subtleties in Alien and even that, like you just for me, I felt like quite uneasy with Ash from the get go, and I was like, there will be something up, but like nothing that you could put your finger on. Definitely nothing that I predicted, like you know, when when that was revealed later on, but that we were correct and there was something up with Ash, it was like, oh okay, interesting, yeah, cool little twist. Yeah I hated him, Yeah yeah, you bad guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he feels uneasy. He's an easy presence on that ship.
Speaker 1: And you know, as soon as the scientist kind of goes against the science, like the quarantine, knowing what this could do, you feel like, Okay, this guy's not he's not one of the good scientists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this guy's no good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when he.
Speaker 1: Explodes, im, I've kind of forgotten that, and it almost took me by a surprise when he literally yeah that expression people often. I don't think it's an Australian thing, but I'm not your bloody head off. I do wonder if it comes from this film, because he really just does get his head knocked off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely smashed it, mothering. Yeah, it could be. This could be the origin of it. While I remember as well, I just confirmed as well that the artist is with that created the alien. So we're in we're in the b park. But yeah, to go back to that, but yeah, he makes quite a well it's not really a demise, is it. Ash, Like he kind of is invincible, isn't he? But you can't really kill Ash, can you. No?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess, and that's why I think.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not sure if you've seen two thousand and one Space obviously, but the hell three thousand is basically omnipresent computer.
Speaker 2: So he doesn't doesn't have a vessel for a body or anything.
Speaker 1: He just he just exists, is like an omnipresent red light with a voice, and you know, he kind of takes over the ship and ing home. Kind of that character kind of has you know, he could be hell three thousand's you know second cousin, right, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a pretty he's a pretty creepy character.
Speaker 1: When when Sigourney Weaver Ripley finds out that they're like the corporation doesn't really care the whole that the crew are expendable.
Speaker 5: Come the company sent us a goddamn robot.
Speaker 3: All I can think of is they must have wanted the alien for the weapons division. It's been protecting it right along.
Speaker 5: Parker.
Speaker 3: When you plug it in, I don't know what, because he may know how to kill it. What was your special order?
Speaker 6: You read it, That's what it was clear?
Speaker 3: What was it? Bring that life?
Speaker 2: For all the priorities you sent it?
Speaker 5: There's a damn company.
Speaker 2: What about our lives? You son of a bitch?
Speaker 6: I repeat?
Speaker 3: Or the priorities? How do we kill it? Ish, there's got to be a way of killing it?
Speaker 5: How how do we do it?
Speaker 3: You can't bullshit?
Speaker 4: You still don't understand what your dad. Oh, perfect organism, it's structural perfection. Is not stown about hostility.
Speaker 5: You admire it.
Speaker 6: I admire its purity, surviving clothed my conscience from moss or delusions of morality.
Speaker 4: But I've heard enough of this and I'm asking you to pull the plugst.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 4: I can't lie to you about your chances, but.
Speaker 1: You know my sympathies that serve as a twist for you. I felt from me by the time we go there, I was like, yeah, I think this. I'm surprised I hadn't worked that that by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I felt like that as well. Yeah, because she was she was raging, which is absolutely fair enough, except obviously the level of rage that she felt when she found out that indicates to you as a viewer that she was like I had absolutely no idea that that was the case. Like it was a massive revelation to her that like really deeply upset her. Where it was for the viewers, it was obvious within probably minutes of starting to watch the film that nobody was too bothered about their welfare. But she was like like outraged, And it was like, mate, well, like you've been busy on that ship, like burying your head in the sand somewhere, because it was very very obvious. But yeah, she because she yeah, she goes storming off, doesn't she. And that's when Ash starts to try and like lock her in like to the little area and whatever, and that's when all of that comes to a head. But yeah, absolutely enraged. It's like, but mate, I mean, I think we all know that of corporations anyway, just in general, like, let alone that specific.
Speaker 1: One, and the seventies are really massive about that. There was a rare time in history where the left and right kind of agreed that, you know, America is government and leadership had been ship house and had led them to Vietnam. And so even films like you know, Rambo, you know, kind of look at that kind of anti authority, anti corporation kind of thing is very big in a lot of seventies films, and that's you know, it's right in the center of this one. Did you get to the point where you thought, shit, okay, shit, how is she going.
Speaker 3: To do this?
Speaker 2: I assumeing you there were sequels? But did you know that?
Speaker 3: Weaver?
Speaker 1: And of course, if you're listening to this, I'm assuming you've seen the film. But if you haven't, some people occasionally do listen to the podcast before they watch a film. I've been told, so maybe stop now, because yeah, stop now, go watch it.
Speaker 3: But did you?
Speaker 2: But did you? Were you confident the scorny weaver Ripley was going to survive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was, but only only because it just felt like the kind of film in which she was going to have to the way that they'd set her up is this big, strong character, and you know, she's very stoic and staunch and just just getting shit done from the get go. That I think for me, like I didn't give it a great deal of thought, Like I wasn't like, oh, I wonder what the logistics of this will be, but I was just like, they've set up this character who is one hundred percent game to triumph, you know, Like it definitely it felt like she had all odds stacked against her, like for anyone who has persisted now despite having not watched it, Like, the thing's got a lot of teeth, right, I know we've mentioned it before, but I can't stress it enough. It's got a lot of teeth. It's very damn So my initial concerns were, how will she get a grip on it? It's too slippery, it's so wet, and then it's going to munch her. It's got so many teeth. But you just know, you just had faith. You were like, no, she's she's a betass. She's going to get it, and then the way in which she does is actually incredible, and I don't think anybody would predict.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do a great job of coming up in these heroic stories. There always has to be a failed attempt, like the bit where you kind of go, oh, this is how she's going to get off it, Like when she's going to basically launch herself away in the other the smaller space shuttle, I forget what it's escape pod, let's call it. Yeah, I'll do that, and she kind of sets it all up and it's like, you know it's gonna and then she's gonna explode the the main vessel and it's t minus you know, thirty for extermination, so the clocks up against it, and then she realizes she can't she can't do it.
Speaker 2: She's got to reverse it.
Speaker 1: That it was such a brilliant scene because it was so tense, and this is a great, great example of your hero needs to fail before they can succeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, And it just builds up that tension as well, doesn't it, where you're like, oh, oh, maybe maybe she won't be able to do it. Oh No, Like otherwise if she just suddenly has all these amazing tools and like just has all of this weaponry at her disposal, and you're just like, oh, okay, so now they've just got to stretch it out for another fifteen minutes to make it a proper feature length film. But she's got this in the bag. So you need to have that bit where you're like, oh no, oh no, she's still human. Oh oh no, she's dropped the gun. You know, those kind of moments, And that.
Speaker 1: Is why really Scott literally strips riply down to her underwear and T shirt, which may play a part in her being a feminist icon, you know, and and the gay icon. I don't know, you can you can tell me. But when that first happened, I remember thinking, ah, that's right, Like, does does it need? Does this need to happen? I do understand the idea that no, we are taking everything away from you. We can see that you have not You are literally you have nothing, you know, basically nothing on you. You are literally naked and vulnerable right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and bad enough to bad us enough to rise like a phoenix from the ashes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. It was a brilliant climax to this like you and and the you know, and we've seen it before.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I guess it's a trope where you think you've got it. Yeah, leans out of the ship, but the gun gets stuck just when you think you've actually won.
Speaker 2: You haven't quite won just yet, but she prevails, she short us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ripley, was that that was so like luster? Wasn't it?
Speaker 6: Like it?
Speaker 3: It felt genuine? But then yeah, like upon review, I was like, no, that would have sounded like almost sarcastic, but I meant it good on you, Ripley, you get away from her. You bit.
Speaker 1: When you saw that where you saw a Ripley in a in a T shirt and underwear what like what you know and whatever reaction it might be. But what what was your reaction like? Was it here we go again? Or was it oh cool? Or was it somewhere in between?
Speaker 3: Probably probably somewhere in between. I mean, I think when I'm watching things, I often like take them very much just face value, and then it's later on when I'm like thinking back over it or whatever that sometimes I'm like, ah, that was for shuitous or there was no need for that, or and particularly in in things from decades ago, like often, you know, often we look back on them and we're like, well, how come the women were we're like scantily clad the whole way through that film, and all the men were just regular in regular clothes or whatever. But yeah, I didn't give it much thought at the time. I guess this is me processing it now. What you said though, is yeah, I mean, it's it's always going to be a double edged sword, isn't it, Because I think you're right in that the idea most likely was that she's been left with almost nothing, like in a completely vulnerable state. But then which in if you're looking at it in that light, like that's really presenting her as incredibly bad us like being able to have nothing, equipped with virtually nothing and still being able to triumph. But then on the flip side of it, of course, it's like, well is that the real reason as well? You know, I think you can be a bit cynical about it and like would and how you were saying before about how the roles in the film were interchangeable when they sort of envisaged it and they were like they could be played by you know, male or female actors. Uh, you know, I think our minds always go to like, would would they have had if Ripley had been a gentleman? Would he have been in his tidy whiting is at the end mhm, And maybe he wouldn't.
Speaker 1: We'll never know, no, no, because really Scott refuses to come on this podcast and discuss it, just.
Speaker 3: Like Ridley Scott. Do you know who I reckon? Would come on? Though? Alice Garner, Well, I feel I.
Speaker 2: Feel like.
Speaker 3: We've just given her all of this unwanted attention today. I think she over.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got some fun facts. Is the wind? The wind? This up? This movie?
Speaker 1: And we've already discussed about the genius of its title Alien. But it was originally called Starbeast and the writer did not like but didn't really like it, but just you know, it was, you know, a place filler for a while. And then one day as he was writing dialogue I think, and he wrote the word alien, and for some reason it popped out, and then a franchise was born. Part of this getting made. They were struggling to get it made. A little film called Star Wars comes out in nineteen seventy seven. All of a sudden, science fiction was hot, so that escalated the interests in Alien. So Star Wars it's the gift that keeps on giving. It helped get Alien made Ash was not in the original scripts. That was one of the producer's idea. The writer again, Dan O'Bannon, didn't like. I didn't like it as an idea, still didn't need it. He kind of I think it was on record of saying so he's a robot who cares, which I kind of get that, but I must say I enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty cool. So they're not in the original scripts. Roger Daltrey from The Who actually helped. There's a like a laser, a blue beam laser. I think when I think it's when John hurt and it's around the face hugging scene. Roger Joeltry was in like a factory next door where they were making this and was just macking around with lasers for I guess Who's live shows and got chatting with Ribley Scott and ended up letting them borrow their lasers.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 3: Oh that's an obscure fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fans of the Who, not only the Star Wars helped get Mate, also Who did as well. And my final fun fact which is an ending that they shot which they didn't go with, which had Ripley encountering Dallas and Brett wrapped in this alien cocoon, and Dallas, Tom Scarett said, was able to kind of manage a couple of words, but it's becomes quite evident they're about, you know, they're they're they're either about to die or life is getting sucked from them. And so Ripley, continuing her bad ass form, basically takes a flamethrower to the cocoon, the entire alien cocoon, and gets rid of it. I guess euthanizing the crew, which makes you pretty bad ass. But it was felt that slowed the film down, and I think they're right. I think it sounds like an awesome scene, but I kind of like, like these seventies films we discussed a lot on this podcast Cursty, they just get in. They're getting late. Alien does take its time at the start, but jeez, they leave as soon as the one. I keep on referring to his jaws, like they don't even make it after they killed the shit. They don't even make it back to the beach. For like the celebration, there's no in an Alien, there's no homecoming for Ripley, and I think you mentioned it earlier. We don't know anything. We don't know anything about whether she's got a partner, a family, you know, kids, and it just does not matter.
Speaker 2: And I think the movie's better for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love that as well. But it's just like, all right, we did the thing. It's finished. Now, end credits. Like every film, so Alien, Aliens and then Aliens three last night, each one that we've watched, like every time, I've been like, oh, it's the credits, just expecting them to have that like fade to black and now up we come, and now they're back in the office on Earth and they're explaining how everything's fine, okay, lovely, but there's a little disaster looming around the corner. So we know there's going to be a sequel, all right, closing credits. But with Alien, it's just like, all right, the job's been done, boom directed by.
Speaker 2: It's so great.
Speaker 1: I mean, and you know, they wouldn't have known how this film is going to be, you know, they may have been confident. So I like that this works perfectly as a film by itself. And there are not too many more questions. You know, you could obviously come up with lots of questions, but it feels satisfying. But there's still obviously space for the sequel because Ripley's alive and we know, we also guess that there's not just one alien out there, and that's why I add the S to the sequel.
Speaker 3: I guess, but to indicate a plur rule.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it, Kirsty.
Speaker 1: This podcast comes with homework, and you're outdone yourself. Not only did you watch a but you've watched a trilogy in preparation. I thank you so much for doing that.
Speaker 3: Oh my absolute pleasure. Thank you so much for having me on and giving me the homework, and forgiving me for ruining the beginning segment with my confession about the never ending story, my bombshell never ending story gate.
Speaker 2: I think you know, I was rattled for a while, but I think I gathered myself. I pushed on, Well, you.
Speaker 3: Realize that you've got to get the episode out anyway, so you had to. You had to put the big, ugly mess behind you.
Speaker 2: It was a turning point when you know, you mentioned you'd watched three alien films. That was Yeah, that's that's what.
Speaker 3: It has been a real It's been a real redemption story, hasn't it that you didn't expect.
Speaker 1: When I did a movie version of this episode. I I don't know who's gonna play you. Philip Seama Hoffwin would play me if you're still with us, But.
Speaker 3: I mean, just off the top of my head, we could see if Alice Garner was willing to come out of retirement.
Speaker 1: That seems like the perfect place to wrap this up. You are an absolute legend, Kirsty. We are recording this in Lockdown Lockdown number six six point three, as I like to call it. You are doing fantastic stuff. I've mentioned it in the intro. But your your Zoom comedy shows have giving a lot of laughs and love to a lot of people in a pretty dark time. So well done for doing those and how are you doing for you? It's going to keep on until this madness continues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to keep going now that I realize how much you know, people are looking forward to them, and exactly how much joy they're they're giving people, and you know they're a lovely gig for comedians as well. Yes, I am trying to sell it to you. Pete, but they they are. Like I thought it was going to be a one off a few weeks ago, and there was such a demand for it that I've kept going, and I think tonight we're doing our fourth show, or maybe even fit but anyway, there's six hundred people so far coming tonight, and that's wild to me that people need to laugh so hard that they're getting around these shows. So yeah, it's a beautiful little community that we've managed to harness. So yeah, I'll keep going while other people still need something to laugh about. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what on to you, mate? And for those who aren't following you on Twitter, shame on you. You really should. Your commentary sometimes COVID relatable, you know, mostly not, is always hilarious, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep it up, thanks, Legend, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I told you Cursey was fun. I told you she was funny, and I told you she was joyous. That was a really fun chat. I have gigged quite a bit with Cursey over the last few years, probably not particularly recently, but before everything turned the shit, we gigged quite a bit and I saw a show this is at Melburn International Comedy Festival and it was just great. I think she's so funny, So follow her on Twitter at Kursey Weebeck and check out her live zoom shows she's doing during Lockdown as well. Thank you so much for everyone, Thanks to Derek Meyers from Castaways Studios. We are obviously doing this in Lockdown. We are doing this online, not in the comforts of Castaway Studios. I can't wait to get back in there. But how are you doing, Derek?
Speaker 5: Really good? What a cac I had my mike muted during that episode and my kids had to come into check if I was all right because I was laughing my head off. I felt guilty for not paying a subscription to be watching comedy online.
Speaker 1: That is That's That's quite the review. Your kids probably came in to ask who Alis Garner was potentially that is?
Speaker 2: That is great.
Speaker 1: She's such a cack Kirsty So. And speaking of reviews, people can leave reviews. Where can they leave them, Derek?
Speaker 5: That'd be great. You can choose how many stars and writing five? Yes, okay, there's one choice and leaves a nice note on there. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll read it out. We'll make you podcast famous.
Speaker 1: So and you cannot ye get on to us at Yasney podcast at gmail dot com. I'm loving getting your emails as we both are. In fact, Derek, you found one to read out from Wayne.
Speaker 5: And Wayne says, Hi, Pete, just listen to the French Connection episode. You asked how we viewed the issues portrayed back in nineteen seventy one that Married with Children was about a serial killer Ted Bundy?
Speaker 2: Did I get l Bundy and Ted Bundy conviewsed.
Speaker 5: I might have slipped through the keeper that butte good work, Wayne, love the podcast, movie, Wednesday Morning, Podcast Wednesday Afternoon. Excellent regards.
Speaker 2: Wayne. It's a good system. Wayne.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm constantly surprised and how quickly some of our feedback comes via the email people somebody sitting up on Instagram and Twitter, how quickly people are getting through the podcast. Sometimes it's ten o'clock on a Wednesday morning and then people have already listened to the episode.
Speaker 2: So thrilled by that.
Speaker 1: Thank you Wayne, Thank you everyone who's been writing in and yeah, we're loving doing it.
Speaker 2: We only have a couple of.
Speaker 1: Episodes for this series where we will take a little break, recharge our batteries, get a few interviews and episodes in the can, but we will try not to make it a long break. But in the met time there are bold There will be sixty sixty episodes, in fact, sixty one episodes for you to listen to, to catch up on, to check out the movies that we discussed, So you can do that in the interim.
Speaker 2: Next week on the show.
Speaker 1: Very excited, one of my one of my favorite comedians on the scene all the way from Queensland.
Speaker 2: It's an hour of power. Damien Power on the show next week.
Speaker 1: He'll be watching for the first time another John Hughes classic, The Breakfast Club. We are getting through much of John Hughes's back catalog, The Breakfast Club next week with Damien Power.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 4: And so we leave all Pete save Lanceal and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.