Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Mason Cox Show, the Sporting segment. Plenty plenty happening in the sporting segment today, we've got a fire at the Gabba looking to renovate for the Olympics. Starting this weekend. You got to scuffle at the mcg on and off the field. Yes, the fans are getting involved, and also have the top five moments from the weekend plenty happening on the pod this week Settle end's gonna be a big one starting now. All right, let's get into it. Big news this weekend, Brandon, Welcome to the pod.
Speaker 2: Later on, I got the biggest news of a Oh Mason, No, don't drink all the beers you got foody See.
Speaker 1: You can't say that for the people out there listening. That is him having a beer, not me. But it is a Zeroc beer. So maybe in the future we are looking for a bit of a sponsor, So yours truly come to us. Let me.
Speaker 2: How do you recall day?
Speaker 1: Mace?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into it, Mace. Let's put our head over the nut.
Speaker 1: We're going to go.
Speaker 2: Hard this week. Well maybe not not as hard as we went last week, because we started with idiot of the Week. And now we've rebranded and we've gone the Clanger of the Week.
Speaker 1: We've had to go claner because for personal reasons, I kind of hope to be hired by these people eventually, so we had to kind of just downgrade it a little bit to Clanger of the Week because for the Clanger of the Week, I have the AFL in more specifically the AFL timekeeper of the North Melbourne Freemantle game because there was controversy written all over this one.
Speaker 2: And let's get into it because there's plenty to explain if you haven't seen it. So Freemantle were down by point, they were doing all the attacking. They pump it in long, one of the North defenders gets it and clears it. Now the ball deliberately goes over the boundary. Now that's cut and dry. But the whole thing was did it go over before or after the siren?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Now, the umpires on the ground said that the ball went out of bounds after the siren, thus ending the game right.
Speaker 1: Still called it deliberate though, didn't They.
Speaker 2: Still called it deliberate, so they ended the game. Game over Fox analyzing it after the game plays, the vision about a million times with the audio, so you can hear it and it kind of sounds like the siren went after the ball across the line. So it should have been a free kick for deliberate because you can hear the umpires say, yep, call it, that's deliberate. So okay, we're there, right, No, because AFL releases vision from the ARC.
Speaker 1: Oh the arc, Oh, the miraculous Arc, the State of the Art Arc.
Speaker 2: This's gout angles that we've never seen, an audio that we've never seen, except it's exactly the same, just terrible quality. Right. So they released this via the world's most you know, legit platform, Twitter, and they release it ONEADP. The frame rates all cooked and the audio. The biggest thing is the audio is out of sync. Right now, that's kind of important if you're saying this is the key evidence that roofs that you were in the right and your call was correct. So the AFL comes out says our call was correct. The game should have ended because the ball went out of bounds after the siren, so our call is correct. Here's the vision that shows that. Anyway, case in point, all wrapped up, nice little bow done. Moving on, except for what they release is, you know, just waterline chambos and I don't want to I don't want to use two harder language here because we've got to walk this typewrote right. But the audio is not in sync, and it's not in sync by a fair margin.
Speaker 1: Let's say to have the ball go over the line I think it was.
Speaker 2: And what's a fair margin you might ask, which that's a fair question. So the sound of the ball hitting the defender's boot happens before the visual of the ball hitting the.
Speaker 1: Defenders, So there's definitely discrepancy between the visual and the audio of the video.
Speaker 2: Now, the only thing that can't happen is the sound of the ball hitting the boot happened before the visual. That's the only scenario that can't happen, because the most likely scenario is you see the video of the ball hitting the defender's boot and then there's a delay before it hits the microphones of the broadcaster because there are a distance away. Sound traveling over distance it takes time mace physics. So the sound can come after, it can come exactly in line if the broadcast is a fucking genius, but it can't come before. So the vision that is released with the audio. It's not in sync. It's kind of impossible. Now, I'm not saying that it's the AFL is doing anything underward to prove their point or anything. I'm saying there's an issue that's happened along the way. It could be an encoding issue. It could be uploading to Twitter, which is an American account and we do stuff in Australian frame rates and audio and all that technical mumbo jumper. It's just a bit weird that the audio is before the kick.
Speaker 1: I looked at it and I go audio, yeah, bangs, Simon goes, hold on, there's two seconds until the freaking North Melbourne players celebrate. I don't know about you, but after I hear the siren, hands go straight up in the air, I don't wait half a second to a second to go, oh man, nope, celebrate yay. No, that shit happens instantly. I feel bad for Real fans because it is there wasn't a great game for them overall. They're gonna be wrong, but they should at least had a chance to get some points out of that game.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is everyone on Twitter that's taking screenshots of the clock being at zero that's completely irrelevant. That's a broadcast clock which isn't in sync with anything. That's why they normally take the clock off with like three seconds to go, but they didn't in this circumstance, so that doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: We gotta also talk about this because it was a big game. Now North Melbourne, like I said at beginning, they're back, they're punching hard, and I think after the game it was quite relevant that a lot of people probably took North Melbourne as being the Wooden Spooners of the year. Now I think a lot of people are looking at that going maybe not, maybe they're actually contenders to it out. It's a good start.
Speaker 2: It is a lot of these teams that are showing really promising signs that maybe people were written off. Saint Kilda is another one that you know, they're switching it up and playing this fast, attacking pace of footy and it's just overtaking some of the teams that are still stagnant or stuck on old game plans. So it's like, yeah, it's really interesting. And another one I'm probably skipping a fair bit ahead here, but it's good to see some of these coaches come out, you know, Ross Lyon and Alistair Clarkson come out and you know the old dogs has still got some fight.
Speaker 1: In ut a bit of barking, no doubt about that. Well, we will go to the next one, which is one of the biggest news stories from the weekend, and it was like bang the lights went off. No one knew what to do. The Gabba had caught on fire. Very interesting circumstances, no doubt. I don't think anyone knew how to handle it or what was going to happen. There's so many different ideas getting thrown out of whether the game was just going to be cold at that point, if they couldn't get the lights back on. It was just nuts up in Brisbane over the weekend.
Speaker 2: It was very bizarre, like I don't know, and people are talking about there was like the game Saint Kildo out of Way Park or whatever where the lights went off and I think it was Malcolm Blight was up in the commentary box with a cigarette lighter doing his basic camera which is gold. So if it happened to you Collingwood playing a night game, lights go off, yep, and then you got told that you could have to wait up to an hour before you finish off the game, what would you be thinking.
Speaker 1: Well, it kind of reminds me back to the fire alarm of last year. I don't know if you remember this, but they had the smoke alarm grow the MCG in the game stop and everyone's looking around like what's going on and then they talk about, you know, the scoreboard catching on fire back in the day, and there's these kind of moments where something happens that's beyond control no one knows how to handle. And that was what happened over the weekend in Brisbane at the Gabba, and I think it's players. You just got to continually be ready to go because the once I mean like you already are behind on the scheduling, so you can imagine broadcasting and stuff. You know, they're having to push other programs back because of it, so they're going to try to pump this thing out as soon as they can restart it. They're going to try to restart it right away. So you have to be ready to go, and you continuously warm up, warm up, and warm up. And the funny thing is over the weekend though I remember hearing on the commentating it was like, oh no, it's thirty minutes and they'll call the game if they can't get it back on the It was an hour, and it was like no one really kind of knew what the ruling was on section twelve A of Section twelve code of the AFL Rules and Record. Who knows, Like it was scrambling to try to find that information that has never used. And I think as players, you just got to consistently be ready to go. And Brisbane, you know, they went into the rooms, they probably sat down for a bit, not knowing if the game was going to be over or not, and came back out and Melbourne made a run. Melbourn made a proper run and almost almost took a few points from.
Speaker 2: Them, which is another one of Chris Fagan's gripes. So apparently this is how it went. They both went down into the rooms, which we saw on the broadcast, but Brisbane got told to stay in the rooms, Whereas it seems that Melbourne was allowed out to warm up on the field five minutes before Brisbane. So you know, normally it would be pretty hard to read into that, but when you're forty points up and your team looks, you know, stagnant, and the other team is coming like a freight train after hardly kicking goals all night. It's a bit I can see his argument that it was unfair.
Speaker 1: You'd be very nervous because you know, like you can say, you know, coaches always look at those situations where you know mentally you might switch off as like kind of what people will say, right, And the fact that they had those five minutes be warmed up, ready to go and primed, where Brisban has just come out of the sheds and said, Okay, I guess we'll just start back up, like your mind's kind of thinking of the situation that's happening. This is kind of like a once in a lifetime maybe thing of the lights going out at the Gabba and like just kind of crazy chaos and maybe not as focused on the actual task at hand, thinking oh, we've already kind of got this game wrapped up, and yeah, it's I think they had that horse reality where Melbourne's like, now we're still chancey here, we're gonna have to go at it. And locally Brisbane, you know, still was able to pull it back and win the game, but you're not a not a great look overall, and a lot of learning lessons. Let's just say that a lot of the things we learned over the weekend with the situation at the Gabba, and one of the things I learned, they're going to demolish that place pretty soon and start building a new joint. And I think this is the way the government's going to get popular opinion to get a new place at the Gabba.
Speaker 2: Imagine if the Olympics were going one hundred meters final.
Speaker 1: Can you fathom that? Oh, you would think they would have a backup generator for these things. You would think that they would be able to go, Oh, something's happened. If one light goes out, the whole stadium doesn't go out, just that one light bulb goes out. It was just wild to think it's on one circuit.
Speaker 2: Like, surely the ground manages down at Bunnings this morning, getting the generator.
Speaker 1: Shit themself last night.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that if it was you, do you think your forty points up right? Would you just want the game to be called off at that stage?
Speaker 1: Uh, it's probably a time depending on how much time elapses between Like if it's getting to one am in the morning, it's like, dude, come on, what's your forty points up. I don't know what. I think it was our third or fourth quarter, I want to say. And it's just into that point where I think there is obviously the rule and place for that happening. And there's so much more that goes on just beyond the game. You know, you talk about rights, like the whole reason we were able to pay for these kind of events and stuff is because of the TV rights and what they're push back, like I said, And there's a lot more to it than just the game of football, I think. But yeah, you have to you have to have some point where you just cancel it. It's not like cricket. We can't play this forever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one thing Jonathan Brown brought up on the Fox broadcast was the fact that sports betting like pay like whatever.
Speaker 1: You think of it, it.
Speaker 2: Invests a lot of money back into the AFL and for the amount of odds and you know what is still live in the live betting, and to call it off throws that into shambles. There's no doubt in my mind that they were thinking about things like that.
Speaker 1: Sports bet dot Com do AU is the AFL's protected partner for betting, and they won't allow anyone else players included to be sponsored by betting companies, So I'm sure they had a few phone calls with them to make sure that their odds were okay.
Speaker 2: Geelong, the Bagger's telling you favorites for the premiership. Uh, Geelong starting oh and two. First time the premiers had done it in a long long time. Should they be worried?
Speaker 1: I don't think word yet. It's a long They still got twenty one games of the regular season left. There's plenty of football to be played. I think one thing I've come to realize is how important Tom Stewart is to their team. That man who really kind of was one of the leaders. I think in the back line he used to take marks like crazy and they would just release off that ability to take a mark. I think now they're trying to find who's going to fill that role for him, or if they're going to move things around to play differently, and they're trying to figure out what that kind of goldilock zone kind of area is going to be for them. And yeah, it's interesting. I say, it's only the third time Wooden Spoon starts to and O or North Melbourne Kangaroos start to and o and the Premier start zero to two, which is pretty crazy, pretty crazy. But yeah, I think I don't think it's panic mode. I don't think it's you know, pressed a big red button for Geelong and write them off yet because they still have some absolute guns in their team. We'll talk about old Jesse Cameron later. And I think it's almost the compiment to Carlton. Carlton looked good. Carlton looked really good over the weekend.
Speaker 2: So do you think it's more for Geelong? Do you think it's more of a like a personnel issue, like injuries, Like they're missing half their back line, So do you think that's more of an issue than you know, premiership hangover or whatever people want to subscribe to.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it's premiership hangover. I don't think it's other at all. I think it's Yeah, they've got a few injuries and they're trying to figure out what their best football is without these people playing, it's tough. Like whenever you lose some big guys in your team, some leaders in your team, whatever it may be, you think like, oh, it's just one player, like you'll be okay, but if that player is literally setting up everything and holding everyone to account, then you know, you really lose direction in the team. So I think of them, it's trying to figure out, you know, how they're going to play here going forward. And unfortunately they had two very strong games to play against in the first two rounds.
Speaker 2: And as for Carlton, they go on a dream run now like they have a lot of those mid to lower tier teams coming up in a row there. Yeah, I don't know it. It's still question marks for me over their late game fitness. At the end of last year, they weren't really running out games and then you'd like to see them come out fit and firing. And then against Richmond they kind of fell off and you know, got the drawer in the end, and then this game again they were well up and you know they clawed it back again. So but I don't think we'll probably get a chance to see that now because they should be really putting these teams to the sword, and who knows, they might be eight and two again and then we get to see what happens from there.
Speaker 1: I didn't say that, well, we'll see. I think they'll have a look the first half of the season. I think they'll be very well set to have a solid back into the year. And like I said, I've so I don't want to say it again. I think the Backers are top eight this year. I know it might hurt collingwand fans to hear that, but I think Carlton will be top eight. And look, I can't imagine if a Carlton Kin would final game happens in the postseason, that would be insane.
Speaker 2: Hey, some of those teams that are up the top end.
Speaker 1: All the all the big kind of clubs that have the big games and stuff, were up at the top of ladder at the moment going pretty well. So it's it's setting up for a juicy year, some of the big games to talk about, Like, you know, he's gone pretty well at the moment, and an Zac Day coming around the corner. It's there's gonna be some massive games this year between some of the bigger clubs. I think we got Richmond on Friday and that's gonna be a big one too.
Speaker 2: Now, speaking of Richmond, they went across to Adelaide and had a It was a nervous affair for them because you know, they were up by a fair margin and then Adelaide come you know, romping back into it and took the lead for what felt like a micro second before they absolutely got crushed. But they had the game the week before against GWS where it was like thirty something degrees post teams slugged it out, so you can kind of see why they everyone on that team was cramping every week. Something happens when it comes to the MRO and Broad, Nathan Broad had a sling tackled. It really didn't look good. Yeah, player got knocked out, it was out of bounds, so it tackled inbounds to out of bounds, slammed their head. It didn't look good and you could see on the mark straight away that he was like damn, Like.
Speaker 1: He knew there was a fine or a suspension, and there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: I think we're all in the same basket when it comes to the sling tackle. But some of these circumstances really hard to avoid.
Speaker 1: It's tough to think about because I always think about the tackle, the person is actually making the tackle right, and like you're trying to bring a person to ground, and like if you you don't want them to get the ball out, so you try to like I guess, leverage your weight to get them to the ground, and some people overdo it and that's where the sling actually comes in. But you also you can't just like fall on top of them since in the back, so I think there's a way people are shifting the weight and then it turns into a sling tackle and you always try to get like the arm under so that they can't get it out and things like that, And there was one in our game obviously with Jamie Elliott who that happened, and it's an interesting like situation. I think the AFL, obviously with concussions and like this was a circumstance over the weekend was they're going to take a very stern look at this and probably be very very harsh on it, which is fair, Like you know, the guys go head. He's got knocked out like essentially, so you know you have to be able to look after the players. But yeah, it's it's a hard one to so I guess adjudicate. I think it's an umpire going Okay, well, I want the game to continue to be live play, so I don't want to you know, like I don't want to call a stoppage. But then the player's tackling also is like, well, I need I want to stoppage, so I'm trying to like hold it in. So then there's this awkward moment between the umpire calling the whistle saying it's a stoppage, and then also the player going Okay, I need to do more to make this a stoppage. I think over the weekend, he tackled him, and he realized the boundary line was there, and he saw this kind of a second opportunity. He slung him over the line, and that's what ended up happening. But yeah, it's it's it's never gonna be perfect, Like anything in the AFL, it's it's gonna be a tough thing to adjudicate from the AFL standpoint. I'm sure they'll be pretty harsh on on Brody here, But yeah, it's not gonna be the last time I can guarantee you this year.
Speaker 2: Now, before we move on from the Adelaide Richmond game, you lit up my phone on the weekend saying that you had a new favorite player picket.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, mate, but you got suspend it, so I gotta go for someone else. And I will get back to you. You don't worry about that picket. I'll get back to you. But over the weekend, Adelaid's Rochelley who by this man loves a celebration. I'm a big fan of it. He gives the punch after he kicks a goal, and he goes and slipes everyone's high five in the audience. The crowd's there, he just gets everyone in filved.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm a big fan of this man. Old A Shelley, Shelley Shelley. He's a big man, big, big fan of this guy. And he makes people like me who are obnoxious prick whenever they kick a goal. I feel a lot more comfortable celebrating. I liked the getting the crowd into it, like a big fan of that.
Speaker 2: Like, if you got a home game and you're trying to get back into the game, if you're a bit behind, go across, get him into it. I'll get more fired up. I really like that. The boxing one. I don't know where that came from, but I liked it too.
Speaker 1: He was hyped. Hey, after I saw it, I was hyped too. I don't watch many out of the games.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're back at the drawing blood gone, jeez, I got to up my game. Max Gorne. We've been talking about the Gorne Grundy combo all year, all pre season, all off season. Max corn is going to be out for four to six weeks with a medial injury. And he looked flat and everyone, the whole footy community took a big sigh of relief when they realized it wasn't an ACL it was a medial. So Grundy's gonna have to cover the loss of Max Gorn and they're gonna have to find a second ruckman. How do you feel or how do you see this playing out at Melbourne in terms of like their ruckstucks.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's interesting because this was one of the biggest stories of the year, was Grundy Gaunt and the fact that it's now going to be a four to six weeks to really see this kind of thing blossom is going to be frustrating for these fans. There's no doubt about that. But yeah, gone friendly fire on the weekend just frustrating, I think from his standpoint of, you know, not really being something that you couldn't like, you couldn't predict that to happen, you know, it's just going to happen in the AFL and there's the vision of him just looking really depressed, I guess in the rooms. And I didn't like that because I feel like I know Goney and I've met him over the years and stuff, and that's not really kind of the person he'd have that moment of thinking like, oh, this sucks. But he would have been stray back out their supporting his team, being the captain of that club, and yeah, frustrating for him, no doubt, Like I can only imagine now he's going, oh I wish i'd you know, obviously, everyone wants to be playing out there, and after a loss like that against Brisbane, it'd be frustrating not to be able to lead your team back out for the next game to hopefully win. And it's a big, big ass for Grundy now essentially replace an Australian ruckman with well another Australian ruckman. So it's a bit of an ass for Grundy. I'm sure like they kind of had this mentality before coming into the season that they're going to have some kind of shared responsibility in that rock role. But now Brody's going to have to really carry the heavy load. Of it. They've got other guys, you know, you got Ben Brown, got Tom McDonald will have to help out doing a bit of rockwork too. But yeah, it's like we talked about with Geelong, they're going to have to restructure things around to try to make them a better team and try to get through the next a little bit until Gone gets back.
Speaker 2: Could you see it as a positive because Grundy's no Now, we all know we don't want to see Gorn injured in any way, shape or form, but Brody's missed a lot of footy like over the past couple of years, so it could you see it as a good thing to get his fitness up early season. You know he's still an All Australian ruckman. It's the worst person to fall back on, but could you see it as a positive?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Look, I know Brodie Grundy pretty well and I've had conversations with him and he's told me over the off season they were training like hell, like it was insane, so some of the hardest training he's ever had to do. So I've got no doubt Brodie Grundy's fit. There's no doubt about that, because he's been in the system for a long time. If he's saying that, that means that he's done the work in the off season. Yeah. I think it's a good way for him to kind of get this form back to know, you know, like you said, he hasn't played footy in a while, so for him to be able to get back into it playing AFL games, feeling like he can really get into that full time rock role. I think it would be good for him, and maybe it just gives him a bit more experience and opportunity in the rock where God might have come in and done a bit of a backup rock, but now it's going to really be heavy lifting for Brody and I have.
Speaker 2: Some rolling effects because I'll have to bring probably Tom McDonald up from the forward line and then that shuffles that around and you know a bit of chaos for him. Good. I reckon that's good?
Speaker 1: Do you reckon? Ye?
Speaker 2: Figure it out?
Speaker 1: Like I think, Gone Gone's good for the game. I love Gone. He's a He's an absolute character of the game, and the game's better for him being in it. And we hope that he gets back and recovers well and we'll see him back out there before Queen's birthday.
Speaker 2: Moving on the same Kilda Bulldogs team because I don't know, I don't think a lot of people saw Saints doing what they're doing early and likewise, I don't think many people saw that the Dogs having the start that they had, So it was such an interesting game, and even more so to see ross Lyon's game style be fast attacking footy.
Speaker 1: It was laid back man in the world. It's now playing fast footy and we're a big fan of that. Ross Lyne, he's a bit of a character himself. Saw his pretty great impressor. He's a pretty funny fella. Because he had spilt coke all over the was it all over his like sheets and stat stuff and had to like swipe it off with a piece of paper.
Speaker 2: Wiping it onto the floor is the most.
Speaker 1: Ross line thing you'll ever see. I loved it though, and he owned up to it. He has a laugh about it, you know, and I think it's good. He's good comedic value. And yeah, I always kind of thought he'd be playing a bit more of a conservative brand, but the Saint kill was just gunning for it, absolutely gunning for it.
Speaker 2: One thing watching ross Lyne have the fun that he's having I reckon the stint in the media did him absolute wonders because as much as you said that he was a you know, happy, go lucky, stress free guy, he was a pretty brutal operator towards the media. So I think a little stint in there and realized that people have got to feed their families and you know, make money and stuff, and you got to answer these questions because he would have been asked some hard questions over his time in the media that he had to answer because that's your job. He spoke to Shane McInnes's pregame and they were laughing and stuff. I swear he's having a few cheech and chunks in the car before he comes in. He's that relaxed.
Speaker 1: First year as a coach. Though sometimes you got to realize first year coach is not as much pressure as you probably think because it's like everyone thinks.
Speaker 2: He's coached like a million games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first year of the new like new team, even.
Speaker 2: His first time with Saint Kilda. But when they're winning, that's when it's easy to be happy.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Well, I want to get into this. It's a feel good story. Love Ross. Ross's a legend and Dan, We're going to go into another opportunity to talk about something that I saw this week, and it's in the World Sport, and there's I'm a big fan of the marathons. Love the marathons. I go to the New York City Marathon every single year, love to support them. And there was someone who accomplished something just in fathomable, like it was amazing to see the vision of this. Now the man is Alex Roca Campilo. I might be pronouncing that well, I'm not sure, but he has cerebral palsy and he's got a seventy six percent disability and was able to finish a marathon. Absolute insanity, Like the vision of this person being able to do this while having cerebral palsy is phenomenal and an absolute inspiration to anyone out there that thinks, oh, half marathon's tough. Try a marathon was of seventy six percent disability insane.
Speaker 2: That's insane. I can't even fathom running a marathon full stop. So like crazy, Yeah, some people out there, they just do like the most inspirational stuff.
Speaker 1: The mental capacity to fight through that and make it over the finish line forty two kilometers is just I seriously don't know how to put it into words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, have you you haven't run a marathon before?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I barely run ten k's in the game prade.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, and good on Alex that.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal, phenomenal stuff, inspirational. If you haven't seen that, I'm telling you, we'll put it up on the socials. It's pretty pretty amazing powerful stuff.
Speaker 2: Now I'll go in the other directions. Memphis women's basketball player Jamaiah shoots sucker punches Bowls Green player in the face as Memphis loses the WNIT tournament. Jamairo was charged with AsSalt. So all just dirty scenes. So coming off doing the handshakes, they're walking past each other, words were shared and bang punches are in the face. Now this begs the question. It just popped into my mind straight away when we see these incidents in sport, and in particular football AFL, should it just automatically to assault charges when you see someone get punched in the face. Should players be charged with the salt if they punch other players in the head?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's why would you Why should it be treated any differently because it's on a football field, Like, an action is an action. Whether it's in the sport or if it's you know, on the street, doesn't matter. Like you should definitely press charges on that because someone has reacted inappropriately and done something that can affect you for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: The Barry Hall one, for me, was just a straight up king hit to an unsuspected person, and it's watched by one hundreds of thousands, if not like a million plus people are witnesses. All the people in the stadium, all the kids and families. We hold the people in the stands to the you know a standard. They get banned from life for the MCG because they get on the piss and have a brawl.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's even more public than the actual you know something like this happening, Like if you're doing it in sport, like you're actually promoting that to a larger audience than doing it on the street. So I don't know, the ramifications got have to be have to be steep for that player. There's no doubt it reminds me. I mean last year, Magic Doll essentially came up to me. It was a couple of years ago Majic Doc came up to me in a VFL game and essentially swung at me from behind while I wasn't looking and bruised my treky and I couldn't talk for three weeks.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy. It was like during the COVID days and like no charges repressed, nothing was done in that sense, but like it was definitely on purpose, There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Was anything asked of you for that, Like, was anyone come up to you and go like would you like to press charges or anything like that?
Speaker 1: No? No, they essentially the vision I guess got released somehow and someone found it and then the club wasn't going to do anything until I guess the vision got released and somehow Fox Footy or Tom Orrison like that got ahold of it and put it out there. And it's pretty it's pretty ridiculous, to be honest, but yeah, it set me out in three four weeks, couldn't play.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, That is really crazy. Yeah, I forgot all about that incident. And that's pretty much dead on what we're talking about. So you should be able to ask the player if their welfare is okay and if they want to progress something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll say this he did text me after and apologized, but it doesn't take back what you did. Like, I won't go further on that one, Brandon.
Speaker 2: Let's jump into your game. Collingwould be port. Yes, you're giving us plenty for the podcast, which I really appreciate. So this week and we had an influx of messages come through the Instagram. If you ever have questions, drop them in the dams.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 2: You kick the goal, yep, and then you gave the shush? Yes, what's this premeditated or is it aimed at someone?
Speaker 1: See? The thing is I kicked the goal. There was someone talking trash behind me to my left. Now, whenever I kick a goal, right, I am zoned into that that purpose of kicking a goal. I don't care who's in front of me, side of me, whatever it is, because no one can influx you or and I guess, like you know, get in your way of being able to kick that goal. So it's just like you ball sticks. It's all matters, nothing else, nothing else can change. Right, And someone was talking trash behind me to the life. I don't hear. I just hear gobble gobble words whatever it is, you know, Like I don't know what it's said, and I know it's trash talk because of who it is. And you wouldn't have your own players talking to you while you're like literally about to try to kick a goal.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they know you said shut pretty good, you're pretty good?
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah? As soon as I kicked the goal, I just kind of turned around, just faced him and just gave him the as then quite down, quite down, also that I was kicking Port Adelaide side, So I will say that also I can double up and go towards the power of Port Adelaide fans that were behind the goals. So that is the reason I shushed a home crowd.
Speaker 2: Surely Port Adelaide fans they wouldn't be giving you any stick or anything at all with the of.
Speaker 1: Course not you know, most fan bases love me Brandon's oh my god.
Speaker 2: But saying that, and you know you're a versatile player.
Speaker 1: You get around of course, marks.
Speaker 2: You played rock, you play forward, you play.
Speaker 1: Bench benches up there at the top three.
Speaker 2: On the weekend. Yeah, big buddy spoiled, big body, spoil across old ball, drilled the port. Like is that you're thinking about moving down back more permanently?
Speaker 1: Or no chance. No chance in hell. My speed not great. The only reason I was able to make it to THEO is because I was like exhausted from the previous previous play and I was being a little bit lazy sitting behind the ball. Turn over kicks it up in the air. I was like, well, I guess I'll go over this one. It just landed. It was that perfect time in the air where like he marks it right at the time you make contact kind of thing, and yeah, left him a bit bruised. I'm sure he's probably feeling it today as I am. For a few contests I was in. But yeah, I don't think I'll be going to the back line anytime soon ever. Once while as a rock, you know, you like to make your appearance, maybe take a mark back there and say, boys, I gotcha. But that's not where you make the money. You know, that's in the forward line. Forward lines where you get the bills.
Speaker 2: You're like an old steam locomotive. You can see you're building up faces. You you know, loped across the midfield. But there was another incident, so I like, you've just build into incidents. You're like you're like a magnet for into plenty of content on the wing. You got I'm gonna guess a free kick. You actually got some free kicks wild. It was absolute absurd. Absolutely, they'll be going after we just talked all this shit about the AFL off the top. But so you get the free kick and the ball bubbles over the over the line. All your teammates just run off and don't throw you back the ball, and then what you're in a standdown contest. You and light set, we're in it. Yeah, so the free kicks paid. The ball goes out of the balance behind like sat and I'm like five meters raided for someone to throw me the ball. You just kind of assume someone's going to pick up the ball and throw it to you, right, No one did, So the ball just sat there and like Scott's sitting there. I'm sure the umpire's probably gone stand so he's like, I can't go get the balls.
Speaker 1: Told me stand otherwise fifty minute penalty. So he's just standing there. I'm looking at Scott. Now, I look at the umpire and the poba looks at me, and I look at back at Scott. I'm like, I guess I'll get it. Chet, I pick it up. So I'm kind of walk over there and like just casual. I think we're up by like a decent amount of points. Of this time in the game, you weren't in a rush. I was in zero rush whatsoever. And I remember just sitting there and Craig's talking to me as I'm walking up to the ball, telling me like we're to kick it or something like that and just pick it up and just waltz on back and then just turn the ball over on the next kick. So that was good. But have a little bump tap, Yeah, a little bump tap on the way up to Scott and I said, hey, great sports sportsmanship, man, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: It was just keep an eye out for cast. I know you're going to do something. He touched the ball. But so you weren't the only one that had a good game. Every teammate I feel like on Collingwood had a good game. Let's jump into a couple of the plays specifically. So I just love seeing Bobby Hill in the black and white stripes. He just is exciting and you can never really every time they think they're going to catch him with the ball, he just slams it on his boot and gets it forward and then everyone swarms forward. So I want to ask you this, what was the better goal? Jamie Elliott to Bobby Hill. He does the one too, snaps the goal snap very hard. Scott Pendlebury. It's the mc great's handball after he keeps it in over his head to Nick Dacus. Nick Dacos gets around a tackle, kicks it on the run and celebrates before it even leaves his big foot laces straight through. Which one is a better?
Speaker 1: Gu Love Nick's goal? Love pendles over the head two times. He's done it last week and he's done it this week, and it leads to miraculous things both times. But I think Bobby's, like you said, I love Bobby in the Ford line. He is just one of those players. As soon as he gets the ball, the crowd just goes, oh, snap, what's it going to do next? You know, like he's just excitedly. He's an exciting player. You just never know what's gonna happen. And ever he gets the ball, and I think that's just something everyone looks forward to. But having zippy people like him, Amy Elliott everything else on the forward line, you just have that chaos that you know you can kick a goal out of nothing. And that literally was I think it was. Bobby got it, handball to Jamie, Jamie gets tackled, handballs it back to Bobby. Someone just like literally throws it on his boot and goes to the sticks. And I don't know if anyone's ever tried to do that, but there's a very low, secretly few Bruskies for Breaden in the podcast today. But throws it on his boot and it goes to and it was phenomenal. Like I was sitting there on the bench going, that's that's something special. That's definitely something special, and I think both the goal is amazing. Don't get me wrong, Nick, I'm not downplaying it whatsoever. It didn't come out of a very weird situation where everyone thought the ball was out of bounds and everyone just like stood around and then damn it. Gray was just like, I guess we're still playing, all right, let me just hand all this off and we got a goal out of it. But yeah, i'd have to go to with Bobby Dazzla. Bobby Dazzler's goal.
Speaker 2: It is so cool seeing just the excitement up in the forward line, the pressure seeing those two together and then you got Bo McCreary roaming around. That guy is just like a shark every time he's in that I just hear did and because he's gonna get Yeah, the two on one on the wing tackles the first bloke he falls over, tackles the second bloke gets the ball handballs it off, and then the next blok.
Speaker 1: Stuff three tackles in like thirty seconds. I was like, that's three weeks worth of tackles for me and he's done in thirty seconds. Yeah, he's a machine. So the Dekos brothers, Yeah, big game of the weekend.
Speaker 2: I feel like if Josh didn't have the last name Dacas, he'd be like everyone would be talking about him as this superstar. But they put him in a line behind his dad, Peter and Nick already. But it's he's what he got twenty six kick two. They combined the both Dakos brothers combined for fifty eight and four. It's insane and he's They've got to be the best brothers in the camp. Can you think of any other good brothers in the camp?
Speaker 1: The only ones I think at the moment they could really stack up as the Mika brothers. They're very very good, but different players like different players, you know. I don't think they're getting the statistics that the Decos brothers are at the moment. And they're a bit older than the Deaycoss boys, so they you know, don't have as many years ahead of them.
Speaker 2: Some time to cook.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I just I'll think of it like fifty eight disposals, four goals. Yeah, thank heavens for the Father's un rule.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, Pete, it's not too late to have another run. You can have a third boy. He'll come through, You'll run.
Speaker 1: Hey, I have a girl. Even we'll take them at ifl W.
Speaker 2: It's so good to have that, you know, that next elite talent coming through, and it's.
Speaker 1: Great to see the younger generation stacking up to the older generation of guys on the team. Like to see players playing at that level and seeing guys that have been around for a long time like Pendles and being able to see them seamlessly working together. It's it's pretty special, Like you don't see that a lot of times. You'll see like the older guys, you know, and they're just trying to bring along the younger guys, trying to bring them along where whenever you have the younger guys stacking up to what some of the older guys are doing is something that doesn't happen very often.
Speaker 2: A right, But it doesn't stop there, because you've got an absolute banger coming up this Friday night against Richmond, two big teams going head to head, Richmond coming off a win. How do you see this one playing out? Because jezu, it's going to be exciting.
Speaker 1: You know, I thought last week was going to be a crazy game portolet coming off a big win over Brisbane. Now this Richmond game, Richmond Collingwood always brings a big crowd, always brings it. I'm talking and there would be ninety thousand, I reckon, and it's tough to explain to people what it feels like to be on the ground with ninety thousand fans going off their head, off their head because it's a big game. There's a bit of rivalry, you could say, between the two of us. Very similar game styles, very similar game styles. The high pressure teams love to kick some goals, and I think it's going to be one of the most entertaining games of the year. Maybe I will go out and make that statement early. This will be one of the most entertaining games of the year anyway. But yes, we will have a big blockbuster coming off on Friday under the lights. It's going to be a massive one, big question marks around Dusty Martin at the moment might be injured.
Speaker 2: So are you going to say big question marks about the lights if they'll stay on or not. But no, this isn't the Gabba. I think they were saying that they've got scans on Dusty's hamstrings, so that's touch and go. But I don't think you sub him out just to you know, watch him or whatever.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's interesting though, like a big game like this, do you risk him early in the season, you know, just because it's a big game, because this is value to the same amount of points as a week later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you just played on its merits.
Speaker 1: You try to play because if you have the big crowd, big supporters there and they want to see an action pack game.
Speaker 2: Had to be Collingwood home game. It'll be about ninety thousand pier supporters. You broke the record for a Collingwood Port game by nine six sixty on a Saturday, pretty good, So the hunger is there to watch the pires back in action and this one will weird, absolute fun burner.
Speaker 1: It is going to be epic.
Speaker 2: What's the next celebration?
Speaker 1: I did when if I kicked the goal over the weekend with Port Adelaide. I did, and then Darcy Cameron came out to me and.
Speaker 2: Goes, where'st the cat claws? The cat claus?
Speaker 1: I didn't do it. Briefly, that's a bit of a joke with him.
Speaker 2: Can we get an update on the cat claws? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, update cat claws. I can confirm it was not cat claws, which can also confirm I have a dumb ass.
Speaker 2: So good when I found out that it wasn't cat cloth.
Speaker 1: For sure heard it.
Speaker 2: I just held.
Speaker 1: Cat claws yours truly is a freaking idiot.
Speaker 2: I held it in because everyone was like, his cat closes cat clothes. And then once I knew, I was like, oh, I'm so happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't cat claus. It was a I think it was. I can't hear you. Unfortunately for me, I've come out on the worst end of that one. But we're going to the last thing, the top five moments of the round, and I have to say we've collaborated with a fel Sentol, big fan of them, check them out on the Instagram. But they have gone through with us and we've put our top five moments of the weekend. We'll start off with number five. What do you have?
Speaker 2: Starting at number five? Jeremy Cameron is the best player. I was gonna say best forward, but I think he's just the best player to watch in the game.
Speaker 1: Best player in the camp.
Speaker 2: Like he's goal kicking, his elite, gets up the ground, takes the marks, an amazing field kick, so mobile.
Speaker 1: I think I saw him in the forward, back in midfield. I don't even know. I don't know what position he was playing, because I feel like I was like, oh, he's a forward. The next thing I know, he's taking a mark in the D fifty in the goal square and I'm like, what is Jeremy Cameron doing there? I thought he was literally on the other side, like the man covers the whole damn field. I don't know how he does it.
Speaker 2: Six goals, twenty five touches and he got all around the ground. It was nuts. He's got to get the three in a losing side, which is always incredible. But what do you have for number four? We've got Samson Ryan, he is back. He was absolutely crushing it for Richmond, absolutely crushing at the big fil You know me love the big forward. Are excited. If you you get up next to him on the weekend, we'll.
Speaker 1: See how totally really is.
Speaker 2: Number three. Hot pies at the MCG. Now, I loved this. Everyone was like, oh, they won so many close games last year, they're going to lose half of those and they're going to struggle this year. Well they're just blowing contenders out of the water, left, right and center. So you know it's exciting. Everyone's up and about. Now we just wait for Richmond, just keep ticking them off the list.
Speaker 1: It's still very early in the year, still very early in the year.
Speaker 2: Number three.
Speaker 1: We are excited. It is good times at the Congo Football Club. The few wins to start off the season, and yeah, we look to continue that momentum. It's about the most pp kind of way of doing it. But yeah, it's exciting times in big game. Got to prove ourselves on the big stage in front of a big crowd.
Speaker 2: Now let me take number two because I want you to have number one. Yes, you for number two, So I say the young guns, although everyone says, oh, he's the next Nick. He's the next Nick dak Us. Nick Dakos is Nick Dakas and he's absolutely smashing the competition at the moment. But it's also good to see Ashcraft up at Brisbane absolutely dominating. He had a massive game on the weekend and she's all the North getting the cross, getting plenty of touches. There's also a couple of other little ones like I saw Philipoof for Saints on the weekend. He brought so much energy to the forward line kick three schnaggles and we love that. So I reckon number two is the young guns coming through the competition.
Speaker 1: They are shining bright, the young guns. There's a bright future for the IFL there with these players coming through. I'll take number one. You know, big fan of this team. I said it before on the podcast. The North Melbourne Football Club is back back baby. North Melbourne Football called the shin Boners two and our start ladies and gentlemen take them serious. We might call him flag favorites. I don't know. The North Melbourne Football Club is showing everyone up at the moment there, telling everyone who doubted him to get come in. Bit of drama in the preseason with him. They've come out just guns are blaring, got two wins, they've already matched their wins from last year. And I'm telling you they're only they're moving up why because that's the only direction they can go.
Speaker 2: They got Nick Larky just kicking him from everywhere. He's on I think ten goals for the seat. He's on track to kick a hundred for the years.
Speaker 1: So good young guys just murdering people. It's awesome to see.
Speaker 2: The best part from the weekend. Obviously played Freo over in Perth and when Klarko thought he had it in the bag, they cut to the camera down on the boundary. He's doing the double head and fish posts. That was before Freo started to come back. Now, if Freo had a one after the siren Ah, that would have been slammed that vision, so I'm guessing he was sweating. But it's good to see North up there. Cankakega kanga.
Speaker 1: Is that it like? I know their stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know this stuff.
Speaker 1: But anyway, thanks so much, AFL Sential check them out on their socials. Absolute legends. Thanks so much for being involved. Now, yes, Bright and we're almost to the end of this, but I have to make him mention because there's some exciting news on the podcast coming up this week later and unfortunately no entertainment this week. Why is that? We've got a filler in? What's the filler in Jack Crisp? Oh, it's gonna be a Crisp episode later in the week. On Wednesday afternoon, we're dropping Jack Crisp as our first interview of the week. It is a good one. It's an absolute dandy. Yes, you might be upset with all the news of Taylor Swift picking out the mcg and I am too, don't get me wrong, But Jack Crisp is gonna make up for it on Wednesday afternoon. Set your clocks, subscribe, ladies and gentlemen. It is going to be a great chat with the great man Crispy.
Speaker 2: Back to back Copeland middleist, back to.
Speaker 1: Back, one of the most underrated players in the IFL.
Speaker 2: I think, I don't know why they keep underrating and what what's he gotta do?
Speaker 1: Seriously, I don't know. Maybe kick more outside fifty old steak nods. I don't know. He's an absolute legend on and off the field. He's got plenty of stuff going on off the field also, so believe me, it's a jam packed episode you do not want to miss.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be it, right everyone, Thanks so much for listening in.
Speaker 1: See us on Wednesday afternoon dropping the crispy episode. Check it out.
Speaker 2: Sam