Speaker 1: No, and welcome did sit down. I'm Vic Christie, managing editor for Australian Tennis Magazine, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Metro, a writer and editor for oz open dot com and viv Why are we sitting down this week with Stan Smith?
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, we had the chance to sit down with Stan at the Australian Open and most people know Stan Smith with the shoe, which is not surprising given there's over one hundred million pairs sold. There's been collaborations with likes of Pharrell Williams and Stella McCartney. But before he was a global brand, he was also a world number one, a two time Grand Slam singles champion and a dominant doubles player. But Stan also he shaped what it means to be a player off the court. Stan was one of the original players to use tennis as a platform for other great things. Was He spoke out against apartheid, He set up his own academy, he developed Stan Smith's events and even became an author. So he's also a former International Tennis Hall of Fame president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were really lucky to be joined by an absolute legend of the sport and all of those things you outlined show that just how kind of connected he's been to the sport at all levels. And even before he came up in the professional era, he was a college as well, so he's kind of been there's every touch point of the sport he's been connected with, so that was really cool. And what was fabulous about getting to chat to stand was reminiscing about the golden generation of Australian stars that we know and love. They kind of were his main rivals and opponents on the court of the Major's Adding Davis Cup when his professional career was starting, so we also got to chat to him about that and learned about some amazing memories and rivalries and moments in his career.
Speaker 1: Let's see what he has to say. And we want to talk to you about many things today, but including your tennis career. So you were a winner of the US Open in singles and Wimwooden in singles, which one of those titles was the most meaningful for you?
Speaker 3: When I was about sixteen, I had four goals. One was become a member of the US Davis Cup team, second was to be the best player in the US, third was win Wimbledon, and the fourth become the best player in the world, and so I really don't know why the US Open wasn't in that, but I think it was just because at that age I realized that Wimbledon was sort of the big the big one to win. And certainly even later on my twenties, you know, not all the players came here to play in Australia because it was right not starting on Boxing Day, and people didn't want to leave, you know, home for Christmas. Although I think players are doing that now because they've got to get here in time to be ready for this tournament's starting. So I don't know the answer to that. I think it was just that Wimbledon was sort of the premiere event. You know, it met your one of the best or the best if you win it, that was almost synonymously would be number one before you won.
Speaker 1: Wimbled in nineteen seventy two, you played the final against a John Newcomb and lost in five sets. It was an amazing match. But what did you learn from that final?
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for bringing that up. You know, I had forgotten about it until well, yeah, twelve months, and you know I kind of lost a little concentration. John, you know, fell one time and kind of fun, you know, playing and that he had to hurt his arm and that sort of thing. But it made me realize that you've got to focus for you know, the whole match, and you can't just I had a big lead in two sets to one and it was etly playing well. I thought it was. I even was starting to think about my speech, you know, for the wind with them ball, and by the time I had figured out a pretty good speech, I was congratulating for winning the match, right, So that that was. You know, it's always helpful to go through and I know Labor went through it lost the first time in the finals, and other top players done at Newcomb as well, and so it helps to go through it. You understand what to expect from yourself, what you expect from the media, from your friends, family, and handling all that situation is certainly when you're in the final, it's very special. So if you haven't experienced it yet, once experiencing it and the next time a teaser.
Speaker 2: You mentioned of your four goals, one of them was to be the best player in the world, and you manage that in nineteen seventy one. So slightly differently because I think rankings like officially were introduced in seventy three. It was a different system. In seventy one. I think you were ranked number one by the tennis journalists.
Speaker 3: Is that how Yeah, there was a group. I was number one and for seventy one and seventy two, so it was a group of ex players. It really made that decision.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh right, so, and I mean achieving that, like, how did that compare? So Wimbledon was one of your goals.
Speaker 3: You did that.
Speaker 2: Becoming best player in the world that was another goal. What did it feel like to get officially recognized as the number one player in the world.
Speaker 3: Well, it was again the combination of those goals that I had, and you know, you realize that it's a special place in the game to be one of the number ones. And unfortunately, you know, it wasn't an ATP official number one because it started in seventy three. So and then I got a little bit of an injury in seventy four and that sort of time, and that hurt my career to a certain extent. But it was special to be able to say, you know, the number one player in the world.
Speaker 2: It sounds pretty it sounds pretty amazing. Before your singles Grand Slams. You have a connection with our tournament that you won the nineteen seventy Australian Open in doubles with Bob Blutz. Yes, and we wondered how that. First of all, did that mean to be an Australian Open champion? But second of all did that double success pave the way for your single success in the years that followed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did, you know, I started out really doing well in doubles with Bob in the late sixties early seventies, and we won a few doubles titles and when the US Open we won. Here we lost the finals of the French a couple of times, and also at Wimbledon we've lost in the final four times. But but mainly the doubles was sort of the where I first you know, got into that that top level, and uh, it helps to know you can beat these players, whether singles or doubles. And and then and it translated, i'd as soon you know, had some good results in the singles and so uh and at that time we played both, I mean, we played I think we beat Nuthman Roach here at Australia in the Semis maybe, but all the players played singles and doubles until the Connors and then Borg and then and later on other players just played singles and we didn't even think about it. I mean, when you think about the fact that if you're I remember some players were playing singles, doubles and mixed at Wimbledon, and you know I was rating half the time he started two o'clock every day. I mean, some players were on and we're playing best of five sets and doubles, and then I didn't play mixed doubles much. But some guys were playing singles, doubles and mixed. They're on the court or on the massage table or eating dinner or sleeping for two weeks. I mean, it was. It was arduous. And so you say, well, even then that singles is more important than the doubles, So why didn't you think about not playing doubles. But players didn't even think about it. They just they did it, and it was you'd have the luck of the draw. I mean they had a situation. Here was Cinner, you know, kind of in a lucky situation where you know, he was saved by the roof to a certain extent, and so the scheduling could really in effect, you might play your doubles match and play the five sets, you know, finishing at nine o'clock, You get a massage, you get dinner. Then you you haven't signed up for the practice score the next day because you finished so late. Then you got to play indoors at eight o'clock. I'm at the Queen's Club on Wood and then go out and ready to play your match at Wimbledon. And it was it was tough. So obviously if you didn't play doubles or mixed doubles, you had a huge advantage. But we were too stupid to figure out.
Speaker 2: But it was better, as he said, it helped, like getting that knowing that you could beat those big pies on the big stage in doubles helps the singles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did. So I remember going in to the Masters. I think I want that in seventy or something like that, and Rosewald was be an interview. They said, well, who do you think is the favorite here? And he said, well, he said, Stan's one of the favorites. I said, well, wow, if he thought that, maybe I'm peopable of winning, and I did. I did actually beat him in the finals. The first you know, Masters was held in Tokyo, Okay. They played him in the finals in that tournament.
Speaker 1: Don't know that your career it coincided with a time of change, really and kind of a turbulent time in tennis. You played college in the last years of the amateur era, then you played professionally as tennis was turning professional. What are your memories and was there any more satisfaction in winning in that period?
Speaker 3: It was a very strange period. There were you know, contract pros, registered pros, amateurs. I think that I was the last player to finish college and win the major tournament, although Arthur finished before me and won a major tournament after me. Arthur ashe. But so college was again a lot of players Americans went to college, almost all of them did, and but not you know, not players from around the world. And so I was actually in a kind of in a registered pro level. I wasn't signed a contract. I hadn't signed a contract. Some of those contract pros weren't allowed to play in some of the tournaments, and so it was really confusing even to you know, to somebody really knows the history of the game. It was still confusing even explain it to people, to say, you know, why did you do that? It didn't make any sense at all, But it was a change of the whole makeup of the tour. And the thing that's it's funny, it's the same today as it was fifty years ago, is the schedule is the biggest issue in the game. The schedule, and it's affected Davis Cup. You know, Davis Cup is now more or less gone from what it was before. And it was scheduled right after the Majors. I remember Agacy one here and then he went to bobod Swan and played on Davis Cup match and drove and flew to San Jose, California and got sick because he just it was just he played in the finals here and had to play the Davis Cup and then so you know, those things didn't make sense, so they tried to figure out a way to do it. And now you've got some other events that have come in, like the Labor Cup and the Hopman Cup before and this tournament and so it's called the United Cup.
Speaker 2: Now, not a company now.
Speaker 3: So it's the schedule is always a thing that's made in fact. So now what's happened. You've got the four Majors, which are now most becoming three week events, and then you have the nine Master Series, which are becoming twelve to ten day events, and so it's eliminating other tournaments. And in the United States, we probably had fifteen to twenty tournaments throughout the year the pros could play. And now there's like a handful, literally a handful of high level tournaments in the United States. And you know, of course Asia has gotten more and in Europe has gotten more. So it's but the schedule is the one is the word that really affects the players. And the players say they want a shorter season. You've probably heard that a million times. So they get a shorter season, and then they play these money events exhibitions in December and in November December, and they're getting paid quite a bit, but they're playing when they could be resting, and so it's a bit hypocritical to the players are saying we want to short season, they really mean it. They shouldn't be playing those events at the end of the year. And of course promoters are seeing the opportunity to say, okay, we'll pay you four or five hundred thousand dollars to come play this event or you know, these three or four days and it's pretty hard to turn down. So that's it it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the ongoing issue in tennis, the schedule we wanted to Obviously, being Australians working in Australian media, we love to know. We hear a lot about the golden era of Australian tennis, Labor, Rosewell Newcombe all around the time you played. What was it like to play some of those greats of our Australian game. And I guess see it play in parallel to those careers because like in sixteen nine, Labour one the Grand Slam, and it was all happening around the time you were at the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I lost to them. I allowed him to win against me Wimbledon and the French second Grand Slammy one. That just I just wanted to give him a chance to do. You know. When I was growing up, really the Australians were the great players. You know, it's almost like Noah's Arc. You had two players, you had uh Sedgiment McGregor way back before my time. Then you had uh Emerson and Stally and Labor and Rosewall and uh the Woodies and then uh who were the other? Usually two you know, he had Hewitt for a while after Hewitt and then of course Cash is sort of on his own. But it was always seemed like there was two great Australians. They weren't just good players, they were to the top in the world at the time. And so my goal was really to be able to beat his Australians and and the thing I really respected about him is they would fight as hard as they possibly could and uh and they didn't give you any grief on the court generally, and at the end of the match they shake hands and say good match, and they'd meet it and you could have a beer with them. I mean, it was you know, I love that that type of competing. And I've tried to encourage kids at the academy where I got some kids and just other players, young players when I was in charge of the player development program. Okay, let's see you compete as hard as you possibly can't, train as hard as you can, compete as hard as you can, and then after the match you can you don't have any regrets. And that's what I loved about the Australian players. I looked up to them quite a bit. I got a lot of lessons. I got to lose to all those guys I've mentioned, except for Sedgmonc Gregor who was before my time, but I did have some wins against them as well.
Speaker 2: So well. And as part of that era, there was the great US Australia robber uche played outing Davis Cup and you're part of I think seven winning Davis Cup teams for the US. You know how satisfying was it to, you know, win those seven Davis Cups and be part of that great country rivalry.
Speaker 3: Well, we started in sixty eight and our goal at the very beginning of the year. Donald Dell was our captain. He said, okay, he's going to travel with us the whole year and make it ton of a team thing. And we said to our parents, you know, in December of nineteen sixty eight, we're going to start at Boxing Day and play in Adelaide. We knew that Australia was a defending champion, so they were going to be there, and so our goal was to get to Adelaide and play there. And Australia didn't have their strongest team, but we did win it. Then then we won it the next four years and then Austin then we wanted a couple more like I say, seven times. So then the last time we played, I think it was the last time in eighteen seventy three. It wasn't the last time, but we lost to the Australian team in Cleveland, and the team was Labor Newcombe, Rosewald and Roach.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe we hear about that one.
Speaker 3: I lost maybe the best Davis Cup team ever and and poor Rosewald didn't play, and he is, in my opinion, really underrated because he was unbelievable. And I had a couple of nightmares with him at Wimbledon where I lost to him after having match point in the semis. But anyway, that was the Davis Cup was really a big thing. And and that's why I feel sad about the fact that it's it's really lost. It's it's Cliver.
Speaker 1: We spoke a little bit earlier about your college career, which was quite distinguished as well. Was was college tennis a common path back then?
Speaker 3: It was? And I was fortunate to win the National Junior Championships which we call in Kalama Zoo, Michigan, and they called the Zoo. Yeah, it still goes down that all the players want to go to the Zoo and then one he was open and singles and doubles, and one was number one player in singles and doubles and pros and so that was that was a path that like I said, mostly Americans took that path and until you know, the Connors and McEnroe actually did it. Connors and macro actually played for one year in college, and then several of the good players played for two years and then moved on to the pro circuit. And it was you know, I have four years in college or some of the most enjoyable times of me playing tennis. As we had a great team at USC and UCLA was the other school that was a strong team, Arthur ashe went there, Charlie Passrew and some of the other top international players. And so that was the path that we took and it worked. But then players started, you know, either bypassing it totally or just spending a year or two and going on. But like I said, my son is a coach at Duke now and the college tennis level is quite high. And the other day, you know, Ben Shelton was playing against Vashera, you know, and he spent five years at Texas A and m he just won a tournament last November, so he.
Speaker 2: Was just in here the other day with us on the sit down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's that's a great example of the guy who's playing at a very high level now. Of course Ben Shelton is still in there now, and so it's that path is still out there because there's such a good competition. I mean, you're playing tough matches. If you're the number one or two player in your team, you're playing tough matches every match.
Speaker 2: And there's a nice link that, Yeah, you went to USC and now learn a t in also went to USC and he's in the quarterfinals here after beating Mevidet, which is incredible at just twenty years of age. So what's it like seeing, yeah, seeing of how I do that come through the same pathway as you and succeed in as you said, like it's a really tough era, Sony, and that more international flavor of people coming through college. Yeah, what's it mean to say him to do so well?
Speaker 3: Speaking of international, A lot of the American parents are not too happy for the fact that they're paying taxes, and then especially at state schools where the taxes are being used for the education that a lot of the there's more foreign players really than there are Americans in these universities, and the fact that they're taking away the scholarship opportunities from the American players is an issue. And this is an ongoing thing, just like the schedule. But even back in my day, after my day a little bit in college, the recommendation was, okay, you can only have three foreign players or two foreign players on your team, and that would make it a little more equal if American players an opportunity, and that's never worked because coaches are being encouraged by the athletic directors to win and they can't. There are enough good American players to compete against some of the other teams, and so the foreign players come and they play, they get an education, in some cases some don't finish, but then they go home, and so we're supporting we as American taxpayers are supporting these foreign players that are taking away scholarships from the American players and then getting an education in some cases going on the pro tour, and those universities are supporting those players.
Speaker 2: I guess you do keep your eye on college tennis quite closely. Who should we and we're seeing an incredible path easy that you mentioned Shelton t and all of it is still in these strine up. Who should we be keeping at eye that's coming through the college system now that we should look at for saying.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's hard to say because you know, it's not really a good competition level. But a lot of the coaches are quite good at developing good players. And I must say that Texas A and m has got has had. If you look at the history closely, you'll see a handful of Texas A and players that are that have been successful on the pro tour in singles as well as doubles. So you know, you know, hopefully the USC has the two top players that are that are developing pretty well and they might be playing on the tour here eventually, but it's it's it's hard to know who's going to actually make that transition. That's fair.
Speaker 1: Reading your book and also looking back on your career, it's obvious that you kind of used tennis as a platform for good. Tell us about your mentoring of the South African player mock much A Bonnie.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was playing in South Africa and was warming up for my match and then my wife was watching and this young boy was there and she started talking to him. And he was actually in the tournament as a wild card, not a great player, but I ended up my partner was we finished warming up and I ended up hitting with him for a little bit. Then we went in and got a drink in the in the clubhouse, which I guess he wasn't supposed to be in. But he talked about his vision of what he wanted to do in life was to get an education, and and so I talked to my college coach. He sent ten letters to other college coaches he knew that might have an interest in this. One coach replied, and he got into a university happened to be in South Carolina, which is our life because I had moved there a few years before that and still lived there. But he he wasn't a great player. He actually did he did some soccer. He went to four different universities. He had a bit of a cultural shock for him to be there. But he was like a son to us. And he's brilliant, and he's written about six or seven books that are that are a great and he's became a great writer and speaker, and so he's had a very successful admit that. The best story I like to tell about him as he got married, has three children, and he grew up in Alexandria. The township of Alexandria if you know it at all, it's a about one square mile of five hundred thousand people. But the three kids all went to Princeton. Oh wow, one of our best universities in the United States. My wife went there too, so she was even happy about it. But the moral story is, you know, anybody, if they have an education, can be successful in today's world. But unfortunately they were just getting that opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should look that up now. Y Vives an avid reader.
Speaker 1: I am a reader.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He wrote Boy in America after caf for Boy, and he's written a couple of butanus it's a word for, you know, people working together and trying to be.
Speaker 1: Progressive and speaking of being successful. It has been a very busy life for you post your playing career. Why has it, you know, through your academy, through Stan Smith events that you mentioned earlier, why has it been important for you to stay connected to the sport.
Speaker 3: You know that you know it's it's one of those cliches, you know, Tennis has been very good in these sort of thing. But you know, I uh, I was involved in the USTA that player development program for about ten years and then did some television work and we started this company. Then I always wanted to do an academy, but the after tennis partner, you know, the housing and all that was difficult. But we've been going now for since two thousand and two and it's been really fun to work with these young kids. We have about fifty kids in the academy. It's been great. And I've been involved with our Boys and Girls Club on Hilton Head, which is under privileged kids and helping them, and also been involved with our tournament. We have a golf tournament called the Heritage RBC Heritage Classic. It's always the week after the Master's tournament. I was a trustee on that board and kind of advising them of what players look for at tournaments. You know, it's a golf tournament, but the same is that tennis tournaments, and so's been pretty involved in that. Now. We have seventeen grandchildren, so it's one of my goals to be able to spend time with them, and so we do a fair amount of traveling with the stand Smith's events, saying we were going to all the major tournaments. And then I was a president of the International Tests Hall of Fame, so that really kept me close to tennis on the high level, you know, because I was also chairman of our nominating committee and we'd have to nominate people that they'd have to be voted on by the press and the Hall of famers and past players historians, and that was a very difficult job to get that, you know, to make sure we it was credible that one't got in that you know, in the wrong way. They got in because they they have the credentials, whether it be as a player or contributor or wheelchair player.
Speaker 2: I think we probably have time for maybe two more questions. We have to ask you about your book, but before we do that, we have to ask you about Stan Smith shows, because you are yes, we have to, because you're probably you're it's quite cool that you've had this incredible career in tennis, but you've also had this kind of incredible crossover career into the fashion space. And maybe I'm not sure if you're more known for your shoes, you are more known as a Wimbledon champion and number one. But yeah, which one is it? And how how did that path take place? And there was a fashion collaboration that's become so iconic.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, to answer your question first is that most people normally because of the shoe that the tennis but it all came about in nineteen sixty five. The first leather shoe that was ever created was created by Horace Dossler, who was Audi Dosler's son, and he kind of hid Audi Dostra had five children, four daughters and his son, and he kind of left Germany and started his own thing in France, and he and Robert Haye, who was a great player in the late fifties and sixties as a French player, created the first leather shoe. Before that, we wore canvas shoes and of course in Australia was the dunlop ball them converse shoe, you know. In the United States, canvas shoes. And so these were the first leather shoes ever used for tennis. And so it was high tech and it was a big deal. It was pretty neat to get these leather shoes. And then in seventy one or two that they wanted to get a stronger presence in the United States, and I was number one of the world at the time in Americans, so we agreed to They're looking for a good looking guy to put on the face of the shoe, they couldn't find one, so they got me to do it. And so my face and my signatures on the tongue of the shoe. And that started in seventy three and it's and you could say the rest is history. It was until about twenty eleven or twelve, and they took it off the market for two years and then came back with some pretty brilliant marketing and it took off again. And one of the secret sauces for Audidas's is collaborations. And so they've had great Pharrell Williams and you know Stella McCartney and other you know, celebrity designers have been involved with the shoe. Amazing and this two years ago they just got to one hundred million pairs, so amazing, a milestime, so iconic.
Speaker 2: It's incredible, and we should ask about We were also very curious about, Yes, we didn't trust your book, tell us about the inspiration behind writing it. And I guess what kind of like lessons or values or philosophies you're pouring into it that you would like people to take.
Speaker 3: Out of it. Well, just to answer one more question is that I wrote a book called Some People Think Stansmans, Some People Think I'm a Shoe. Oh yeah, and that was that's about five pounds if you might have. I don't know if you've read that, but it does talk about all the shoes that have been done, and shoe designers and really the whole culture of shoes. But this has really been done by my partner Gary Knieber and I. We've been doing this for thirty years. We came down here in ninety eight, I think, so it's almost thirty years and we've so we thought we'd write down what we know, what we've been doing, and why we've been doing it. And we started really to kind of help corporations develop a stronger relationship with our partners or clients. And then we realized that it was getting to be more than that if it was done properly, and so we used the acronym serve and S is for strategy. We strategized before we go to a client as to what would be the best for that client and to help them in their business. And then he is to engage. We'd get the people together and get to know each other on a deeper basis and just a transactional basis. And then the RS for recreate. And so we've done tennis and the first ones we did here we played tennis three days during this weekend and he was a tennis fanatic. But we do tennis or golf for corn hole or ping pong or whatever, and then or going to the matches is kind of seen recreation together. Then the VA is to volley, which is the problem solve and that's a critical thing that and a great example, I mean Greg Tyler who's here just a little while ago, is a great example of a guy who's volleyed problem solved in the best way. I mean this has been. He should have an award for persistence. He's really a great example of this principles of this book and the last E is to elevate, to take care of the details and also make it a little special. So we try to do something special. We'll give some of our guests my shoes, I'll sign, or a book or that other book or the you know, do something that's going to be unique. It might be a bringing another player like Pat Rafter, Leighton ut or John McEnroe or and to make it a memorable experience. And then an extra chapter in that was the second serve, which means if you do have a strong relationship and it's not just transactional, it's a strong relationship, and if you do make a mistake, then you might have an opportunity to rectify that situation and continue to work with people. That can be done in a personal situation. In fact, we have a QR code there you can take and then print it out. In a personal level, you can go down those five letters and where it's in a business level you can do it as well. So that's the gist of that book.
Speaker 2: Amazing and it's beautiful. Well looking through it today and it's really a lovely book. Yes, yeah, if the attention to detail is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been a wonderful lesson in both tennis and in life. So Stan Smith, thank you for joining us today on the sit down.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for inviting me. Appreciate it well.
Speaker 2: Vi stan Bycu will be celebrating his eightieth birthday, And yeah, it's just an example of what we hear always about tennis. Being a game for life. He's truly living that and so great that he continues to follow the sport so closely, come out to Australia to the Australian Open following what's going on with College Center. Still, I think we were really honored to talk for such a legend of the sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a real pleasure to meet him and we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode in your feed, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and a review. See you next week, Matt
Speaker 2: See van vib