Speaker 1: My Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Good Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Ben Radio work Our Windows down, that's my world, Rison the dust only good labs all down.
Speaker 3: I've done much, but yeah, I know our big get and what I want.
Speaker 4: It don't matter where.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup. Happy Tuesday, everyone, It's the Pickup with Britt Hockeley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 5: Laura, I, this might be embarrassing that I'm about to admit that I just learned something new.
Speaker 1: You know that everything's opped in when you are broadcasting lab on radio.
Speaker 5: Well, no, I accidentally discovered something on an app that we all use every single day, and I don't know if I'm late to the party. So on Instagram, when you are on a reel, like when you're watching a reel, did you guys know that you can play it at two three four speed?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't know that. Yes, I didn't know. It's fine. Do you know what else I learned recently? It was because of Sophie Monks. She posted a reel about this. If you're watching a reel and then you swipe to the left or to the right. I can't remember what way it is now, it's top my head. It takes you to the page of the reel that you're watching, so it's a shortcut. Well, Sophie Monk's mind was blown and I was right there with her.
Speaker 5: Listen to this, Laura, I'll watching a reel and you just hold your finger down on the edge either side, on the left or the right. It will play through the reel at like two three speed.
Speaker 1: Doesn't fast forward? Doesn't it just show how minimal our attention spans are that now we need to fush all the second Literally, reels don't go for longer than a minute usually, and we need to rush through them.
Speaker 4: I just wonder how you can.
Speaker 5: Be using something so often and not know anyway it's irrelevant, we're not.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you do when you listen to podcasts, because obviously we love a podcast here, you know, a pickup. Do you listen to them on normal speed or do you listen to them fast forwarded?
Speaker 4: Interesting? I have two answers. If it's a podcast that I.
Speaker 5: I annuinely like to listen to, like that I listen to weekly, I listen to it always at normal speed, but I always listen on to one point twenty five or one point five when I'm doing it for research on somebody so interesting. Yeah, I don't care about the tone or inflection. I'm getting information. But with my favorite people, I want to listen to the way that they interact.
Speaker 1: I listen to everything on minimum one point five, usually two, every single thing. Yeah, my brain is probably a chaoic place to be in.
Speaker 5: Well, Laura, it is that time of year again where Australia has the version of the oscars. It is Gold Loging nomination time. The nominations have come out and do you know what, the women are absolutely cleaning up. There's only one bloke. I think Hamish Blake is not surprising. I know it's I mean, he's going to be in literally dying.
Speaker 1: There's going to be one male who makes it into the loading nomination who direct. It's going to be Hamish Blake.
Speaker 4: But there's so many incredible women that have been nominated.
Speaker 5: But one I'm very excited about TV Legend, TV veteran.
Speaker 4: I was in the jungle with her.
Speaker 5: She is hosted I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here eleven times. She has been nominated for a Gold Logie four times and for some reason is yet to win. We're going to try and change that. Julia Morris, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Well, I couldn't be more thrilled to be here with you. To glorious Humans, Julia.
Speaker 1: We are hard on the campaign trail for you this year. We are so behind you. I thought you were a shoeing last year. But this year, it is twenty twenty five. It is the year of Julia Morris.
Speaker 3: Surely it's the year of the old Miles got to get involved.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Everyone's in saying, what's the campaigning going to be? Like? I'm like, no, I can barely like feed compass for the pick up and drop off. I do not know that I'm up the campaigning. You feel like a knucklehead campaigning. So I'm like, oh, a friend of mine and I just as a coincidentally, we're sort of winging about how come we don't you know? I was winging she's not in television. I was like, I com I keep sort of missing out on bits and pieces. I know I am hosting one of the biggest shows in the country, so it seems a bit dis in genuous, but I'm always you know, looking for like, what's the next thing.
Speaker 1: Going to be?
Speaker 3: How do I broaden out, you know, just to earn money to pay the organ We all know as a matter of time, everybody loves the sound of slapping. When I released the Double d's it sounds like you're at Octoberfest. And that's another story altogether. I have been like a complete maniac. So the thought of now going into some weird self promotion thing, my maid and I I said to her, right, let's make a chat show in the backyard. I said, My backyard's epic. Let's make a chat show. The first episode, it's literally it's mostly out of the back of our heads. Oh my god, it's so funny. It just accidentally turned into a little mini internet sitcom and it's just a couple of people who have no idea what they're doing, and it's beyond hilarious. We've never been doing parkour.
Speaker 4: Do you talk in my language?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: I do sporadic park or to.
Speaker 1: Julia, sorry, do we think that this is gonna she the dial on the votes? Are you just having a good time in between? Like, well, we've got to get the votes as well, Dental, Well, the thing is I thought, well, what will end up happening is if my audience.
Speaker 3: That followed me on all my bits and pieces are chill with me, not ramming the loads down their throats. And so I'm hoping just the fact that I have put some effort into making something while a massive life is swirling around us all at all times.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon it's going to be the biggest competition this year? I mean, do you look at that and figure sit there going, oh, they did this and they did that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely deep down because you're like, you know, you would love to take it. I would love to be in history as one of those names. It is a tremendous honor. I was talking to someone recently who was in House Husbands with me, one of the ladies, and we were saying, did you think we'd still be hustling at this age?
Speaker 4: It doesn't end.
Speaker 3: It's no seeing as of other industries have moved on to either be CEO or CSO or special you know whatever, FO and so. You know, but in the end came in industry everybody huzzling husy.
Speaker 4: You know what, I think. I think you've got a I think you've got a.
Speaker 5: Little secret weapon right at your disposal. We've seen Robert Irwin take his shirt off.
Speaker 1: We've seen him.
Speaker 4: Everyone loves him. He's your partner in crime.
Speaker 5: Get him amongst it, Like, I don't think it's we think ed, borrow and plead. And if that means stealing your shirt to get him on your campaign trail again, I think you've got to do it.
Speaker 3: I had to start processing at the beginning of his sentence because I was just like, oh, do I need to get out of the Andies? Hang on, get the snake. I thought I'd seen enough snake, so I've got no business with them. And yeah, maybe I'm in the Andes in the front yard on the astro tur you could.
Speaker 1: Do it together. We don't discriminate.
Speaker 4: And actually, Sonya, Sonya's up for a LOGI as well. It's you're up against some crid.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. That was the other great pleasure about it yesterday. And when you're saying, like you do, do you eye up the competition, I mean we're all lapy. He was six, we've been nominated. One man takes it. Also, HAMI just like, please please nobody vote for me. And I was like, mate, you know, get your game on. None of us want to hand it to us. And let me tell you, every single person on that stage, if they talk it, you go worthy winner though.
Speaker 1: Ye yes, Julia, we are and so so have your back on this. We can't wait to see you up there on stage.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. Well, let me tell you the speech would be unbridled because I've got a feeling the vibebanks would have worn off like hours before, so I would be and so would the age.
Speaker 4: I get very scared of.
Speaker 3: You know, around that five to eleven at night, You're like, oh, that's mummy switching hour, that's.
Speaker 1: Adre is to vote just for that, to see it, I'll be like.
Speaker 3: Level, yeah, I've even told my haters. I'm like, from what I've observed with the Gold Logi, you sort of then done disappeared not long after that. So you're like, well, here's the thing. If you hate me, you can make me go away by giving me this goal logan.
Speaker 1: There's both sides. You can vote. Now, go and vote for Julia Morris to win the Gold Logi at the TV Week logos. Everyone, it's a tvweek loogis dot com dot a you. I was served something the other day, now and I say this because my Instagram social media algorithm is one hundred percent pregnancy and baby related.
Speaker 4: At the moment, I thought, you don't say serve something like you at a restaurant, like someone.
Speaker 1: Ser service divorce papers. Actually I did not get served tovorce papers. But it is what we're talking about. It's a new theory and there was an article around it, and it's called second child divorce syndrome. Now it's all around when as a couple you go from having one kids to two kids and the additional stress that that puts on your relationship with your partner. I mean, when I reflect back on when we brought Lola into the world, and yes it was COVID and she was like we had our kids really close together. I was so deeply unprepared for how much going from one to two that transition was going to be so so hard for me. And I think because Matt and I had already had one kid and having MALEI she was.
Speaker 4: She was an easy child.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What I realized now is that we had like a unicorn baby. She slept well, she ate well, she was a relatively easy baby, and it made us feel so cocky and secure that we were like Oh my god, We've got this parenting thing down, Cake, Let's have a second one. And so we had Lola really shortly afterwards. They're only about nineteen twenty months apart. And going from one to two was by far the hardest transition that I've ever made in my adult life in any way and any capacity. I mean when I think about work transitions or starting new jobs, or starting new relationships or going through breakups, one to two kids absolutely knocked me sideways. And it was trying to juggle two babies at two different schedules. It was the sleep. It's also the pressure it puts in your relationship because you no longer have time for relationship in the same capacity that you did earlier.
Speaker 5: And on top of that, Lola wasn't necessarily the easiest baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was a really tricky baby and didn't sleep well, and there was a lot of crying and I felt constantly touched out and exhausted because she would only sleep on me. So I had to have her in a carrier, sitting up in bed with two pillows prop behind me. And that's how I slept for six weeks, just sitting upright in my bed and whenever I have friends who are talking about having kids or they're in that sort of like the absolute trenches of the early years of parenting. I always say, don't make any decisions about your relationship when you're in those trenches, because something that feels completely permanent, like little being in that phase of little kids, when it's all consuming and how hard it can be on your relationship. Sometimes people make very permanent decisions around a time that is not permanent. And I say that because now that our kids are five years and four years, I kind of feel like I finally have a handle on it and it's so much easier, and Matt and I have so much more time for each other and.
Speaker 4: Where you decide to have a third one, I were in such.
Speaker 1: A better state. But I think because now I understand how short lived that time is, that absolute pressure cooker of having little kids, is that it makes me feel a little bit better about the fact that, like, we're all on the same page all right, eighteen months, it's going to be really, really hard, and then we're going to slowly come out and like come up for air again, and we're just kind of I think we're a little bit more prepared for the impact it's going to have this time, yeah, yeah, rather than taking it and thinking it's doomsday.
Speaker 4: But what's the theory.
Speaker 1: Well, the theory is around how a lot of relationships break down in that period of going from one to two kids, and how it has like some people feel as though it has this irreparable effect on their relationship that they can't get over.
Speaker 4: To be fair, I mean, I remember talking to my parents about this.
Speaker 5: My mum and dad had been married nearly fifty years and they've had four kids and we're all really close.
Speaker 4: I remember them saying the same thing.
Speaker 5: It's like, you feel like you're never going to get out of it, and you feel like you're never going to be able to afford things again, You're never gonna have time for each other again, you never whatever, you're going to sleep properly again, And all of a sudden, the light lifts and then you're like, oh, Okay, the best years of my life were actually going to come after this because we stuck it through together and didn't make those decisions when you're in the depths of despair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that maybe there's a bit of a misconception, and I know everyone's parenting experience is different. But I do think that there's a bit of a misconception they're going from nothing to one is the hardest transition because you go from not knowing what it's like to having kids to having a baby that you've got to care for. But I think for a lot of people that's actually the going from one kid to two kids. That's the hardest transition because you think you're prepared, you think you have it down pat and actually it really I mean, at least for us, and if anyone else has experienced it, it completely knocked us sideways. And so I do feel as though I'm going into number three a little bit more realistic. So do you think about how hard it's going to be.
Speaker 5: Would you think number three is going to be easier because you like, do you think it's the opposite, like two's harder than trees easier because the kid's older, You've done it, you know it inside out.
Speaker 1: I am not going to allow myself to lull myself into the false like I'm.
Speaker 4: Not having any defenses, Laura.
Speaker 1: I will not have the security so I have I've if anything, I think I've over prepared myself for how hard it's going to be that. I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised or at least it will meet my expectations.
Speaker 4: That's it have the bar so long on the ground. There's only one way, so we make it sound terrible.
Speaker 1: Being a mom is amazing, it really is. That's why we all go back and do it again.
Speaker 5: So, Laura, on the weekend, I tried to do what I think was a really good deed, well for myself and for my sister. But what I did was I went through all my cupboards and cleaned everything out. You know where you have this like, I just had too much stuff that I've accumulated for years. I could open my wardrobe and stuff from fifteen years ago would tumble out and almost suffocate me.
Speaker 1: I have seen your wardrobe, brit and one thing like, yes, you have a lot of clothes, But the thing is is you also don't throw anything away, so you keep all of your clothes, like you have multiple wardrobes. But I think because most of it's stuff that you'll keep on rotation, right.
Speaker 5: Yes I do. I'm a real sucker for I'm like a horde of clothes. Like some of my favorite pieces of clothing are from fifteen years ago, so I don't necessarily just keep them.
Speaker 4: I just love I don't.
Speaker 1: Fit anything from fifteen years ago where we are yellow. And I kind of have a rule now because my wardrobes one a time was very similar. But I have a rule that if I haven't worn it in a year, it goes. I give it away to someone, or I give it to Salvos. But I can't. I can't keep that.
Speaker 5: When he closes my house every like I don't know, six to eight months, I do clean out, and I send everything to the Salvos, or I give it to my sister or a friend to go through.
Speaker 4: If it's like good quality stuff. So I went through.
Speaker 5: I'd been going through it for probably the last four months and slowly putting things into bags because I knew my sister was going to move back from overseas. I always let her go through and pick stuff and then I take it to a charity store. And so I'd been accumulating these bags, and one was just bin like stuff that was just so far gone, moths of eaten it or whatever.
Speaker 4: Like I'm talking the dregs of my wardrobe.
Speaker 1: You're like, I would be embarrassed to give this to someone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then I had the stuff that my sister could go through that was like calling you I would fit out.
Speaker 4: Then I had the bag that was just going.
Speaker 5: Straight to the chain win anyway, So I handed off to my sister and she went back to the Gold Coast because she doesn't live near me and I don't hear from about it, and I was like really excited because I was giving her really quality stuff. Anyway, So I bring it up and I said to her, did you go through the bag? And she's like, yeah, I did. I was like, okay, did you keep anything? Like did you like it or like you're welcome? She's like no, I think you would be nice.
Speaker 4: She's like no, Brittany, it was disgusting. When I threw it out. I was like, I was like, you didn't keep one thing nothing. She's like, no, nothing, Why would I?
Speaker 1: And I was so confused.
Speaker 4: I was like, there's some of my best pieces and she was like what.
Speaker 5: It turns out I gave her a bag of like the oldest.
Speaker 4: Undies that you've ever seen, like undies.
Speaker 5: That I've worn that have holes in them, that have like these are undies that have been through it.
Speaker 4: I gave her stuff with moth holes in it.
Speaker 5: I gave her the bag that was supposed to go straight to the bin, not even a bag that could go to a charity, not nothing.
Speaker 4: This is like you'd burn this bag.
Speaker 1: And that's what she thought I gifted her. It's the bag of pos where you know they've lived alive, they have lived a century of life.
Speaker 4: I've seen some stuff and I was mortified.
Speaker 1: So what happened to the bag that she was meant to get? Did you actually take that one to the salvosn that's so annoying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's great. There's really great subber videos.
Speaker 5: But I was mortified to think that I gave my sister a bag of like dirty undies. I don't want to say it on radio, but I was like, old use undies because I keep bundies for like I.
Speaker 4: Know you do too, Laura, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Twenty years. I keep underwear until it no longer has an elastic, which is coming really handy because I now my butt's about twice the size it used to be and all those undies hit me again?
Speaker 4: Do you like how I'm trying to whisper it like Australia can't hear it?
Speaker 1: If I whisper it.
Speaker 4: I was like, I gave her a bag of dirty undies, like you're still see it.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is a lesson for everyone, though. If you're going to do a clean out, you got to label stuff. It's sem like if you're moving house. Because I once maybe about eight months ago, he actually maybe longer. No one cares I had.
Speaker 4: Too bad time is irrelevant.
Speaker 1: I had one bag to go to the dry cleaners and one bag to go to the Savots. Both bags have been kicking around the back of my car, the boot, the garage like they'd just been moved from different areas because I kept on thinking I'll take it eventually. Anyway, I mentioned to Matt, I was like, oh, there's a bag in the back of my car that needs to go the Salvos. Didn't tell him that there was one that was supposed to go to the dry cleaners, and everything ended up at the Savos, So that was really disappointing for me. Let's alert everyone, do not go. Yeah, there's also some things that the owner didn't want to part with as well, So off you go, guys. Check it out.