Speaker 1: Got anything good. Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Big big weekend for Melbourne all over the world. Actually, obviously there were Footy was back, a proper back where we all understand it being back, even though some teams had played in the mysterious round which will forever be forgotten about but moaned about for the rest of the season. Now it's good into folklore, this almost mythical. Now round zero Haporne had already won two games before most teams. Now the Giants too, They go, no, that Giants, of course played last weekend. Oh yeah. And then obviously around the world there would have been formerly one fans tuned in to watch the Melbourne Grand Prix. Now I don't know a lot about the Grand Prix and F one, but I have friends of mine who were there yesterday and it's like the highlight of the day year that's right here in Melbourne and Sunday morning. I was texting them and saying, now, what a nightmare about the rain and they were going, no, it's even better, and I'm like, I don't understand your sport. Now Lockee works on the show, is really into this. So was yesterday a great race? On why yesterday was a great.
Speaker 2: Race because we started back in Melbourn, which we haven't done for a few years. So it's opened up the whole season.
Speaker 1: Wait, I thought it was in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Every year.
Speaker 1: You're starting the kind of what Grand Slam? What have they have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it started, we don't usually, well it's always started in Melbourne, and then for the last couple of years it hasn't just because they do all the testing over in Bahrain and that's where they start.
Speaker 1: They've had their own version of Round zero.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were back in Melbourne, and so we've had a lot of rookies and then we've had three days of thirty degree sunny and all of a sudden the race starts and it's rain. So everything goes out the window. All the tires strategies go out the window and it's just chaos.
Speaker 1: Do they have then all come back in to have the tires changed to the slicks or whatever they're called.
Speaker 2: Well, that's therein lies the question, Christian, when do you come in for slicks and do you stay out? And so you can lose the store as.
Speaker 1: Long as he is. My wife has always seems to me come home now for slicks, I'm like, I'm staying out.
Speaker 2: No, Well, you can lose. You can honestly lose fifteen seconds per lap. And so if her pit stops takes you thirty seconds and you stay up for two laps, so you shouldn't you should have come in. So you're like, well that I shouldn't come in because it's gonna takes so long. And so the teams, it honestly becomes like ice. If they're on the wrong tire at the wrong time, you're just sliding off the truck.
Speaker 1: There's so much signs to it.
Speaker 2: Isn't there, and so you can have the fastest car, but if you're on the wrong tire, so being on the right tire at the right time is critical. So when Ferrari stayed out with Lewis, yeah, it wasn't the right call. And it's always twenty twenty hind sight, So whose call is it? I imagine in the movie version, the team's like, come in, we need you come in change those tires.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm not coming in one more lamp and then the pit boss site throws those headphones out there go he's out of control and we should have fired him that season, and then he wins it though.
Speaker 2: They have strategists and they also have huge teams back over in the UK, so they've got you know, for every one person there.
Speaker 1: What do you mean with the time difference on blurry eye is Sunday morning? There some hungover pol Milton Keynes in some factory tell the millionaire to come in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that happens, but they're iconically Ferrari for the fast past couple of years have been atrocious with their strategy calls and Lewis with his first year with Ferrari this year, he found out pretty quickly what that's like.
Speaker 1: So what happened to the Australian kid? Did he have a good chance of winning?
Speaker 2: So we had two Australian kids. Jack dilm was also racing, but he on the first few corners, well he just hit a bit of line and bit of marker that was on the road and binder.
Speaker 1: Do you think a local lad would know albit part pretty well?
Speaker 2: Well, I know it's local is as Oscar, but yeah, Oscar unfortunately was on the wrong typet the right time, wrong time as well. Lando kept it on the road, Oscar backed it into the grass. He did keep it going though, which were phenomenal, So the roar of the crowd when he actually just got it back on and for him to salvage two points, there is a move on. I think it's turned nine and ten. If you want to go back and watch it overtaking Lewis Hamilton, I.
Speaker 1: Won't actually any sport. I've got to go and worry about turn nine fast for three hours an hour? What is that little progress bar even during a footie game is two hours though, eighteen hours of racing to get through to find what turn nine No.
Speaker 2: They're doing one hundred and sixty k is now a very small corner around Lewis Hamilton, world champion on the last lap to get two points is phenomenal, but he'll be very disappointed that he didn't.
Speaker 1: So for race fans, this was an epic opening for a season.
Speaker 2: Chaos and we love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then tell me this. I saw this really beautiful clip of Lewis Hamilton's dad, who's been by Lewis's side since he was like five years old, hugging some young rookie. What had happened? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nine again, No, this is before the race, it even well started. So they're doing the formation lap and Isaac, what's the formation lap?
Speaker 1: Is that whether all cars are stacked up in like a pyramid, No.
Speaker 2: You're all, we're all grid. Well, everyone's up on the grid and they go around just to get the tires warm. So there's not absolutely chaos.
Speaker 1: In the first sport is sport.
Speaker 2: On the first lap they had to come in and change their tires, so they have to formate again.
Speaker 1: They've got warm the tires.
Speaker 2: Now that happens sometimes, Yeah, you have to come in and do it, just change tires and start again, or it's.
Speaker 1: All this is why the's lost. You then just change your boots.
Speaker 2: The way is changed how they have a tire warmer in the pits warmers. But yeah, Isaac hadger lost it before the race and even started. And as it takes so much money and luck and skills just to get into the race, into Formula one. So from Formula three to two to one first race didn't even get to start, oh no, and.
Speaker 1: So he was That's why Lewis Hamilton's stands just giving him. I'm still none the wise about the sport or don't know is tied. Christian O'Connell Show Podcast