Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: You ask any chef, any top level chef, they'll all tell you the heartest thing trigger seeing in any kitchen situations.
Speaker 4: Of course, the rice.
Speaker 3: I had a rice situation of the day so bad that one of my daughters snuck off the toilet to google.
Speaker 4: Can you die from undercook Rice?
Speaker 1: Christian?
Speaker 3: If you have a Thermonix, I'm sorry, Philippa. I don't have a thermonix or you Therminix people are in the cult of Therminix, and you always trying to recruit us.
Speaker 4: Oh you must, oh gosh, we do it.
Speaker 3: And Malcolm and I we're taking up to Buller and we make love to it.
Speaker 4: It's a thermomix. You must put it. You put it for three hours in the the mix like yes, oh yeah, you sbe with yeah, no.
Speaker 3: Philippers, shove it all right? So Rice tips please, I need them, Christian. One cup of bas matti rice to one and a half cups of water, Good luck.
Speaker 4: Rio is right.
Speaker 3: You've rinse the rice to remove the starch. Otherwise it's gluggy. That's what Rice gets with me, gluggy or a dente, but not in the middle. It goes to one of those pinballing extremes, and I don't know.
Speaker 4: What I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I just chuck a cup of cups in and hope that the rice cook them. Merlin's in their work, their magic, Christian. One and a half cups of water to one cup of rice and some people being two people saying three hi teeing the rice debate. One cup of rice, two cups of water. I use this for everything. Oh mg, Christian, why is it this hard for you?
Speaker 4: And pats?
Speaker 3: One cup of rince bas matti rice, two cups of boiled water, one tablespoon of chicken stock. That's my secrets, like that Graham tomorrow on the show What's your Secret?
Speaker 4: I love it when people go this is my secret. I love that.
Speaker 3: I think I'm getting a top tip, Christian. One rule I use is one knuckle of my little finger. Gonna need more detail.
Speaker 4: Sir, there's nothing else there. What's that about? I demand to no more.
Speaker 3: Do you not send me message about the rule about one knuckle of your finger?
Speaker 4: That's his secret?
Speaker 3: You Jigglo Jensen. Jigglo Jensen's one labeling you as all right. It's going to Sharon here, Sharon, Hi, how are you going? I've got a rice situation. A rice sos save me, save my.
Speaker 5: Kids, winging to save your daughters.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you, Sharon. What do I need to do? Mate?
Speaker 5: It's pretty simple. You soak yourz for about ten to fifteen minutes, then your rinse off all that starch. You put it in the part. You put the nodule of your finger to the water level. You cook it for around ten minutes on simmer. When the water is nearly gone, you put the lid on, put it to the side, and when you're ready to.
Speaker 1: Serve, it's ready, so you you let it soak. Yeah, no one is.
Speaker 4: No one is mentioning this.
Speaker 5: It's perfect. I do it every time we've done a camping everywhere, but we don't use a rice cook guy.
Speaker 3: I do it in the pot, all right, So soak for ten minutes and then the knuckle or do you mean the knuckle, first.
Speaker 5: Knuckle, Yeah, the first tip of your finger. That's all. You cover it with the water, all.
Speaker 3: Right, so the water level it goes rice. Then there's a knuckles worth of water clearing.
Speaker 5: The rice yep, and then yep, and then you cook it for roughly ten minutes. Poke it with a fork, put the lid on, sit it aside. When your curry is ready, you serve it up.
Speaker 4: Great, Sharon, this is great. Thank you very much for trying that tonight.
Speaker 3: You Steve's got. Steve's got a very different approach. So it's not the evil canavel approach it Steve, What do I do? Use as much water, as.
Speaker 2: Much water as you like.
Speaker 4: Christian, you're a mad man with rice.
Speaker 2: The trick is you don't want the rice to run out of water, all right? True? What you do? True? I cook a couple of half I cook a couple and a half of rice from my kids and my family.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: I half fill a large sauce, but with water. Half fill it, so I've got plenty of rice. Any water in there. Wash the rice. It's important that you wash the rice and get the starts off. Everybody's right about.
Speaker 4: That, doginess.
Speaker 2: Throw the rice in the cold water, all right, put it on high once it boils, start a twelve minute timer. At the end of that twelve minutes, your I will be cooked perfectly.
Speaker 4: I might not unders down. I've got two steps. Okay. So you're saying half fill a large kitchen pot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, more water than the rice will ever absorb.
Speaker 4: All right, and then I'm boiling it, bringing it to the boil.
Speaker 2: Put the rice in and then bring it to the boil. Put the rice in the cold water, bring it to the boil.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Once it boils, turn it down and simmer for twelve minutes.
Speaker 4: For twelve But then now you left over with a whole heap of extra water.
Speaker 2: Then run it through a strainer, pour the water out.
Speaker 3: No, you may as well do it on the stove.
Speaker 1: Tis do that.
Speaker 2: If well, that is doing it on the stove top. But if you do it that way, I promise you it will not be gluggy because you've got all the starts out of it first. It will not be undercooked. Because if you want, you can start testing it at ten minutes and try it until it gets it perfect. Give it a minute more if you want, you can. You can taste it as you go, check it as you go, so that you take it off from what. For the brand I use, it's twelve minutes. For the brand use, it might be eleven, it might be thirty.
Speaker 4: But Brandy using Tilda, who are using Tilda?
Speaker 2: I don't know what brand it is, but it comes in like a Heshani sack and it's in an Indian sanscript writing on the front.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's one of the pro level ones. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a high level one. Real. What's the problem with this? Why don't you like his Rice ideas.
Speaker 1: That all my Asian ancestors are rolling in there, the Asian car. That's Mushy Risotto, Rice, Steve Russia never have to go through at you believe this, Steve never through the Asian car.
Speaker 4: This is shocking behavior. It's sad that Rice is divided. This Paul a brighter nose.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Christian of Carl's Show podcast