Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast. All right, let's talk about childhood now and the things that you weren't allowed as a kid, because, as you're going to find out as a parent, Jack, sometimes you make up these random rules because constantly parent is a endless sease of demands and opinions.
Speaker 2: Which you had no time to sit down and form.
Speaker 1: Even yesterday, it was like, I want to outside it with some friends for lunch, and I need some advance in my pocket money.
Speaker 2: How much you have to give me? I'm like, oh God, what's the wrong answer. Where's your mom? What does she sound this? I understand, I might pens.
Speaker 1: I'm the VP im mind charge of the over office VOWL on for and.
Speaker 2: She knows that we are at a crisis point right now.
Speaker 1: My wife is going away with is going a girl's weekend tomorrow, so both the kids know four easy days coming up. It's kind of like Chris money, Christmas is coming, and he wanted me to keep tabs go and ask in the same question twice.
Speaker 2: I think it's a bran new day. If you drive my car. He must be twenty five. Now.
Speaker 3: As a kid, I felt like I had a long list of things that I was never allowed and I'm finding out now as my mom's babysitting Gordy a couple of times a week. She sent her photo of him yesterday in one of those mechanical cars that you get at the supermarket hours of fun. I was never not once in my childhood was I given two dollars to put in that one of those mechanical cars. I was allowed to sit in them all I want and ud get Vertigo or something. No, no, no, no. It was totally about cost saving. So I could sit in the car.
Speaker 2: They're about twenty cent, yes.
Speaker 3: But I was able to use my imagination.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you always see that poor kid just sating it. And now that's Jack the origin story. He's in that plane. It's not taken off.
Speaker 3: Thirty years later, I see that that rule has been lifted and Gordy's allowed to have dollars to the mechanical.
Speaker 2: Car, Golden grandson.
Speaker 4: I feel, oh wow.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of cost saving measures when I was a kid. There was. I was never allowed to have the mechanical car. Whenever we went to the footy, I was not allowed to have food there. We were only allowed packed sandwiches from home. Oh no, and anytime we went to a restaurant, there was no looking at the dessert menu.
Speaker 1: I feel like we need to give you a do over, right, like a fairest builder's Jack's day off as a kid, I'll take you to them all would clam you into one of those old I mean six and five old age in and I once rush to have a little that we get little moves around and they're so mild, aren't they.
Speaker 2: They just sort of this sort of tilt a.
Speaker 1: Bit and the lights flash and he press buttons that don't even work or do anything like that.
Speaker 2: But then we get so.
Speaker 3: Then we go to the MCG. You pay nine dollars for chips and you wouldn't complain about it.
Speaker 2: This is cheap half the rice.
Speaker 3: Then we go eat at a restaurant and we're allowed to, Yes, we will look at the dessert menu.
Speaker 1: All right, Jack's day off. I'm going to make this happened when the footage seasons come back. Perhapsy, what were you denied or not allowed to have.
Speaker 2: As a kid.
Speaker 4: I desperately wanted boot roller skates, desperately one of them all my friends.
Speaker 2: Roller boots just the chepot version.
Speaker 4: Cramp that's what I got, And they had lacers on the top of them, and they were so bung, but I wanted the proper wheung as in busted.
Speaker 2: Means something else.
Speaker 4: I'm not aware of.
Speaker 2: Don't ask me what it means.
Speaker 4: It's very very rueh.
Speaker 3: I do apologize, and.
Speaker 2: Probably to Sexy Lamb. But anyway, so you were denying those as.
Speaker 4: A kid, Yeah, No, I couldn't have boot roller skates. Mum was a nurse and her excuse used to be I've seen far too many casualties with people in roller skates. You'll fall over and you'll snap your leg in half.
Speaker 3: But whether you strapping them to your shoe or they're built in, what difference does it make exactly same risk.
Speaker 2: You're not picking up great speed either of those things.
Speaker 1: Those kids, especially with those ones like that, you're sort of dawdling along like your club he did.
Speaker 2: You're not picking up any momentum whatsoever.
Speaker 4: We had a big local skate scene in our town, and in a country town, it's like one of the few things.
Speaker 2: To do, so it was tag skate scene.
Speaker 1: Skate scene we are about all those inbred brothers bringing their banjos, playing as they skated.
Speaker 4: Dan used to take the tie up ones and all my friends had boot ones and I looked ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That's why you had to move out of the country, Chris, take me away from this, show me a better life for christ the music coming to the Region theater next year.
Speaker 1: Book now all right, So what were you not allowed or denied as a kid?
Speaker 5: A bra you're.
Speaker 2: Listening to the Christian o'kyl's show podcast took the about what we were not allowed as a kid.
Speaker 1: Chat was saying, how it's never left to go on there, you know, in the shopping malls of shopping certains. He got the little mechanical rides for very small kids.
Speaker 3: I was allowed on it. I just wasn't allowed to.
Speaker 2: Experience enjoy the rise, Christian.
Speaker 1: I saw a dad who had two kids sitting one of those shopping center little cars, shaking it from side to side.
Speaker 3: To save a few bucks.
Speaker 1: Must have been.
Speaker 2: Jack's old man.
Speaker 1: That is shocking, Chris, thank you very much that Christian. Please tell Pats I fell in pain with the roller skates. This is song, Karen Lloyd. I really wanted the white boot ones. I got those awful metal ones with the straps that would expand as my feet grew. Yep, cost cutting a measure for my parents.
Speaker 2: Christian.
Speaker 1: For Tim, he wasn't allowed as the kid's a yo yo. Most of the kids has those flash ones that had auto freespin. I got the basic wooden one. The wooden ones were terrible. Christian. We were growing up. I was one of five kids. We weren't allowed potato chips. The only time they appeared in the house was when it was one of our birthdays.
Speaker 2: Christian.
Speaker 1: I was never allowed to watch TV as a kid or have any drink that wasn't watered down.
Speaker 3: Actually, we had a friend like that. Every time you went to his house, you have to have water down orange.
Speaker 2: Really really tepid.
Speaker 1: It was barely just like a teaspoon of the actual essence of it.
Speaker 2: Make it stretch across four homeopathic.
Speaker 3: Into of orange.
Speaker 2: Christian.
Speaker 1: As a parent, I told my kids that parents aren't allowed to put money in the rise at shopping centers. Only grandparents can do that. That's from Jane. It's gonna Irene here, good morning, Irene. What weren't you allowed as a kid?
Speaker 5: Hi? Christian and the kid I wanted a pair of levi by Jane's and my mom so did she went out and bought some dinner and actually sowed me a pair, god bless, which I actually never wore.
Speaker 2: What do you mean sold you a pair, just made you a pair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she used to work in a clothing factory, so she went out, bought some dinner and yep, a pair of jeans.
Speaker 3: Did she have like the pattern for.
Speaker 5: No, no pattern, just leave it, just jeans, blue jeans, denim.
Speaker 4: And they didn't have the you know you need the This is when it was all about the sort of invasion of American brands into So I was, yeah, poor.
Speaker 5: Old Irene at high school and you know there was I was European. There was a lot of you know, Australian girls, and yeah I didn't never ever want to school.
Speaker 1: Nope, all Ireen, thank you very much for you called us get a Leagueod morning Lee.
Speaker 6: Good morning girls. As a kid, I had the unfortunate situation where I really wanted a pair of skate shoes, you know, the big high top globes it needs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a period Lee. You probably met my ash where we loved his kids enormous shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so I was at my dad for years to buy me something. Eventually he got around to it, and the day he bought it, I threw a big tantrum. I can't know what it was about, but I threw a big tantrum. And so he took the brand new pair of shoes and he made me throw them in the viney's bin.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is the day that he bought them. This could change a person.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what I learned.
Speaker 1: My lesson for sure, those emotions down, that's the lesson out there. That is brutal stuff from your dad. There, lady, you were dad?
Speaker 6: Now, yeah I am. Actually I've got one and one on the way.
Speaker 2: I bet, I bet you don't.
Speaker 3: Lee.
Speaker 2: There's no way would you do that to your kids?
Speaker 6: I don't think I could. I cried.
Speaker 1: You maybe go do the old dome made me go that Vinnie's been nigger.
Speaker 2: You ain't doing that.
Speaker 3: You ain't that, dad, You're not half of what crap?
Speaker 6: Would you? Would you like to hear the kicker?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: On couple ad later he took me back to get him. They opened the bin and I hadn't put him in correctly. So the next person that came along after me got a brand new pair of shoes and I didn't get any that's.
Speaker 2: A horrible kicker.
Speaker 6: I wanted you to go into the lesson, but he wasn't that mean.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I feel trauma for you.
Speaker 1: Seriously, we're getting second out, passive trauma, the rollercoaster you're up.
Speaker 2: There's so much going on in this. Thank you very much for sharony.
Speaker 6: Have a good day, No drama.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast