Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast can't leave the right. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Callum Hole who joins me to talk about all things Ozsie Shaw, which is now out on Paramount Plus. I actually came across Callum like many Australians, when he featured on Love Island Australia a couple of years back. I had been warned he was excellent TV while the show was in early production and have been kind of obsessed with him ever since. He was fantastic and I'm a celebrity, get me out of here. He's a real treat as well in Ossie Shaw, and I think that there's plenty more to come in watching his career continuing to take off. Callum will talk about how he manages all of these dating shows and if he needs to be single to keep his brand active. We will unpack the dynamics and Ossie Shaw and if producers filled him in on the storylines before being dropped in late to the show. I will discuss his upcoming projects and if there is any more TV in the works, and maybe he will tease us with some of that that's coming up. You will get everything from a discussion on his friendship with Denise Drysdale, managing his vain, and some insights into the current state of play amongst the cast of Ossie Shaw. There's actually so much to talk about, with so many inside revelations. So guys, sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of Ossie Shaw. I'm doing really well. You're looking very fresh yourself. Did you get a good night's sleep before today?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did actually, but as a bit of conceding on that as well, I have the a lot of travel in the last couple of months, so I'm a bit drained, to be fair, So sometimes I get a bit of concealed under the eyes paying in it. You know.
Speaker 1: It's really funny is that for the last ten years I've not done any form of like injectables or anything to try and maintain my age. And I did this recently when I was on the Gold Coast, and now I don't know. I was always worried if I did something to my face that I wouldn't look like me, that I'd look like one of those had a lot of work done. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean do you get a lot of pressure to have that kind of stuff done?
Speaker 2: Well? Not really really.
Speaker 3: I mean I have thought about having some like Bolg talks put in my head because apparently prevention is key, But again, I don't think I need it just yet.
Speaker 2: Maybe another year and I'll be banged in me.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're looking pretty fit. Let me just tell you this right now. Honestly, I wasn't leading to saying you need work, Just so you know, I want to say congratulations on your success here in Australia, like you have taken Australia by storms since doing Love Island Australia. How does it feel to become so popular in a country that's sort of not your born country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's actually it's actually a really surreal feeling. And I you know, I pinched myself, you know, very often, and it's almost like I'm living in like a fake world at the moment, you know, because I've never in a million years thought that i'd be having the like the lifestyle that I'm actually having now. It's yeah, it's it's the best, but obviously, like everything, it's got its ups and downs, you know, like it does require a lot of travel and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But I always compare myself to you.
Speaker 3: Know, my old jobs when I was working like a nine to five and that's sort of thing, and I'm like, I'd rather cash flights every single day than do anything like that. So I'm so grateful, and you know, without the people that are by my fans, and I wouldn't be where I am today, you know, continue to do TV shows.
Speaker 2: So h that's definitely like my home from home.
Speaker 1: Bob with the nine to five jobs. I kind of imagine you working at my work. If you were working at my work and I saw you walk past and you were going to the xerox machine or whatever, I might lose my shit. I'd be like, that's really too ready to work here, Get him out of here.
Speaker 2: I've done all sorts of jobs, honestly.
Speaker 3: I've worked in gym's, personal training, sales, reception jobs. I've been a fruit cutter. I've worked in paintball arenas like you name it. I've probably done it, but I've probably last two weeks.
Speaker 1: Is that because you don't go to work the next day, you get to thirsty Thursday and you go out for a big that on Thursday and not return.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think sometimes I struggle to be told what to do, and I have rules in place, so like if I'm told to be somewhere at a certain time, like for example, most days, you know, if I was to rock up a little bit later from work, I could be in the car going to work, and I could be ten minutes late. I just stop in a coffee shop for an hour or two, because I'm like, in my head, if I'm going to be lit, i might as well be properly and I'm still gonna get in trouble either way. Things like that just get get the wrong side of the bosses in there, so I just end up losing my jobs in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I did a reality show and they had to have a secret before you went in, and my secret was that I was fired from every job that I'd ever had. And people were like, but you look like like a normal person, Like you don't look like I mean, I don't know what a person who what a person who gets fired all the time looks like. But clearly it wasn't me. But it was because I was not able to follow simple things like you know, getting to work on time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the other things.
Speaker 3: And you're right in the sense that like obviously being a younger through a party goer and stuff like that. You know, like you know, I'm never going to rock up to a Sunday shift and I always accept them, but I'm never going to be there.
Speaker 2: It's more for than then putting me on the rock stack, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: We've done like five seasons of Love Island Australia. We've got a season on right now, and there's been so many people that have been Islanders, you know, have gone into the villas, but you have stood out amongst everybody. I want to know more about your ex spectation of going on this show. Did you just think you were going to go on the show and find a bird and settle down or did you have some kind of idea that this might be a porthal to the dimension that you're now living in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you go in there with an open mind because obviously it is it is a dating show, and you have to go in there with the mindset of being open to date some day.
Speaker 2: So yes, one Dre and when I went in there.
Speaker 3: I was like open to dating and opening open to meet some day because they asked me a few years in the row and I declined it because I was like, why would I go on Love Island. I'm going to be saying good, I'm in Australia, so the best country in the world, Like I'm not going to settle down. Then all the time I was like, I think it was like second or third year. I was like, you know what, I'll do it, I'll chust it out. And I remember going in there and the first week was an absolutely mad nuts because I was like, you know, I'll put my fingers and all the pies and I was made that girl and it's mad. But then I met somebody pretty early on called Leila. I don't know if you remember week two to week three, and that was the most boring week that I've had, you know, because I was like, I wake up, how breakfast to day that you know we tanned together? Then we have did that together, and then we grew up. Like no before that was mad because I was just going everywhere. So as soon as later left, I was back to like being single in it again, and that's when I started having fun against Then I think I learned that you know what, I should be single because I have more fun.
Speaker 1: It is funny that people call you the love rant, like when you did I'm a celebrity, they're like love rant. But I actually, from what we can say on television Callum dating, I actually think you do it quite well. Like I don't think there's anything ratty about it at all. You're pretty much not already had a good time. Did you have a good time? See you later? Here's my yeah, told me.
Speaker 2: I think I think that's how how I got it.
Speaker 3: I got kind of got away with it because it's like I remember, even on my first level, and I think I'd said something to Claudia.
Speaker 2: I said something along the lines of.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm not I'm not datable, don't I'm not eve nere to try and date, so don't try and date me. And then she ran off to all the girls, you know, trying to be like, oh, Calum said this, you know, stay away from him. Then the girls were like, oh, he's already told us, So as long as I'm honest and transparent, and I tell the girls exactly what they get himself into. If they do it again heartbroken, then that's on them. But it's not guilt on my chest because I said it as it isn't start. I know, I'm not like misleading them or or you know, promising them the world. If you're not fun, I'm your guy.
Speaker 2: But if you want like marriage and kids, you have to look some rest, Stalin.
Speaker 1: Is that how it is for you now? Because like I was out on the Gold Coast at the opening of Juju, and I actually felt like it was like a live version of a dating show because I was watching you there and the sky was there, and people were rumoring. People were saying that you're floating with her, I think you'll go there or whoever the bird was that you were saying for that night, and then there was the rest of the club and I was like watching someone date the whole club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. It does get like that.
Speaker 3: You know. It's kind of like it's almost like a covey about the birds, you know what I mean. Whatever I go, I just got a line up pretty much like it's it is. It is a madness. And when I go to my friends, they're like, how would you do it? I'm like, it does feel like word, you know what I mean. But that's why I have started seeing some bird for a couple of months now, and it's been going good because it's like when I go out, I just couldn't just relax, you know.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like I.
Speaker 3: Need to rise up all these birds all night long, you know, because I know, like there might be a couple of burgers in the club, but I I got a stick a whole minute.
Speaker 2: I mean, so I'm starting to change my way to a little bit.
Speaker 3: But I'm definitely not like marriage material or anything like that yet, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: I think of you with like a Ken and Bobby Doll.
Speaker 2: This girl.
Speaker 1: Please don't take this to any sort of offense. But it's almost like everyone gets a chance to play with Ken, do you know what I mean? Like I don't want you to settle down because there's all these bobbies out there that still want to have a turn, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, But it's like it's like when everyone wants what they can't have, right, That's the way I look at it. And you know, when I was younger and I started going out or started you know, meeting girls, I was like, oh, that's so good, you know, because you know, met this girl or going on a date with this girl. But now because they're just so accessible, it kind of like puts me off a bit. It's kind of like, oh, another one, you know, Like if one girl came want me in the club, I'm like, oh, like this is mad, going to have nice to meet you, whatever. But if you've got hundreds of them, especially your festivals and stuff like, it just gets boring because it's just the same conversation over and over again, you know. And my type I usually like the proper hot ones, the glamours, you know, the makeup, the eyelashes, the heels, you know, the designer, all that sort of stuff, and nine times out of ten they actually haven't got really much anything good to say really, you know what I mean. It's the midpar birds under the fun ones that you know are just the best time.
Speaker 1: It's always the mids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can set you can, you can have fun with the glamour, but if you want to set book, it's going to have to be a mid range bird.
Speaker 1: I think you have a lot to thank to Alex Mevrodikers who cast you in Love Island, Australia, and he's been quite instrumental in your career. Like I think he could have it in his contract that every show he does he gets callum hole because he got you into Love got you into I'm to get me out of here. Yeah, so was another hard gig to get. How quickly did you know that you were going to get moved into o celebrity after your Love Island Australia fame.
Speaker 3: So it's actually a good question because every show I've done, within the space of two or three weeks after the show's finished, I've already had shows reach out to me away. So that's how I've never really had to go back to work or how to do like any sort of influence and stuff, because I've been fortunate enough that, like my Love Island Australia show finished in two weeks, I had contracts through for Love Alan Games, and then once Love Alan Games have finished, it was like less than a month before I'm a celebrity in the pipeline I finished, I'm a celebrity. I had two weeks to pack my case and go to Carns for Rosie show. So it's always it's always a show in the pipeline. And this year, yeah, thanks to Alex, I have got I've got a lot of shows in the pipeline. So I'm looking forward to having a good year this year. My dad in TV worlds, you know what I mean, He's always there me, He's always there I need a phone call or a chat. And you know, I see him as not only like a good good friend, but yeah, I'm so grateful for for I think he's done for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. Like he's like the godfather of reality TV in Australia. And it's interesting because you can't trust a producer. However, I get the phone call often from celebrities being asked to do I'm a celebrity, and I say, is Alex Mavdike still there? If he's still there, you'll be okay.
Speaker 2: If you look after him, he look after you. And if you make good TV, obviously you're helping his job career.
Speaker 3: So he likes people that make good TV because it's a win win for both people.
Speaker 2: You know, both parties.
Speaker 1: Did they get you too quickly to do Bozzie? Sure? Because you know I was watching tonight's episode like this podcast will drop today, your episode will drop today, and I picked up on something Did you arrive a little rough and ready?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I didn't have much time from The Jungle, which was one of the hardest experiences of my life, to going into one of the wildest experiences of my life. Like, I wasn't prepared physically mentally, I was pretty tired.
Speaker 2: You know that The Jungle is a taxing show, and usually before a show, I like to prepare.
Speaker 3: I had to get you outfits, you know, I had to feel good, train and then coin their hot So I did have to put a bit of a front on to you know, bring the energy. But inside I was I was a bit tired, you know. But when you're around that sort of environment with people having fun and everyone's got big personalities, it's kind of easier.
Speaker 2: To just get energized and get amongst it.
Speaker 3: So I'm lucky in that sense that a lot of those lot you know, did pull me through.
Speaker 2: But it was a hard show to do. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I was with my partner and he was like, oh, Hellun's obviously had a big night the night before this, and I was like, well, I do know from insiders that he has come straight from one show to the other. So I said to my partner, Alum, kind of looks like, you know, the cat that someone forgot to feed while they went away on a Christmas break.
Speaker 3: You know, literally that was literally me, and obviously coming off the show like I'm a seventy, I did want to celebrate as well, you know, like for me that was like a big success, you know, thinking I.
Speaker 2: Was all going to last like a week and there and then get into the end again.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was happy, and I wanted to celebrate with my friends and family and stuff. So I definitely had a few few nights out even if I was hired. So then when I had to call up for this, I was like, oh my god, I need to get my shit together because I got to film a new show.
Speaker 2: But that's why I said yes to only one episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah I got yeah, there's a few. So like you said yes to one episode, but the next minute they couldn't deal without you. So you turn up on this show, right and you did you clear your date calendar? Did you bring all the girls that you were sort of seeing on the side at that particular point of your life and tell them ps, I'm putting you on pause because I'm going on this dating show, or did you leave some women hanging?
Speaker 2: What was the same I left.
Speaker 3: I just went could Turkey because with draws always makes the heart grow fonder miss me in it, So they knew I was the way working. They couldn't get in contact me anyway, so they won't be missing me. But the fact they're pondering in their head why is the replying or where is he just makes them even more keen in it. So when they get that message as they get at the house, fucks on in it. It's on like a jump scump.
Speaker 1: Most people, if you ghost someone, they hate you forever callum. But you go some and they're literally sitting at home knitting like little beanies for you, waiting for you to come home. I don't know where You're not on the door, so you arrived. How much did you know about what was happening between sort of the love triangle that you get yourself involved in because Tom, Lexi and Lily have a storyline that's been going on this whole season and then you basically turn up like a party popper. Did you try and listen to what was going on? Or did you just calum it up and just sort of just roll and not really take too much notice of what was happening around you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just I wanted to go in there blind.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the producers did ask me if I wanted to know what sort of the storyline was or like, you know, what was happening in the show.
Speaker 2: I wasn't bothered.
Speaker 3: I said, just tell me who the birthday girl is so I know who to give the cake to and let me do my thing. And I'd rather that because if I go in there to mindself, like oh, they've been seeing each other or is a bit of a flinger, it might make me make different decisions. I'd rather go in hot and just make the decisions that I want to make, because at the end of the day, I'm not afraid to step on people's toes, especially when I'm like an intruder, like I've got more loyalties. They might have more loyalties because they've been, you know, in there for longer period together.
Speaker 2: But for me, I'm just an intruder and in my.
Speaker 3: Head, I'm only there for one night, so I only cause chaos on that first night.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I did.
Speaker 1: But is it hard to turn up on a show, because, like you know, I was talking about this with Denise Streisdale about how hard it was to turn up and I'm a celebrity late because like, when I spoke to Denise, she's a good family friend of mine, she said I should never have come in so like because it was too hard to infiltrate the group. And she said, yeah, she really made friends with you and Sky, who both were really open to the friendship, where the rest of them are like squirrels that are worked out how to live in a you know, in a nut tal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, let's set in their ways.
Speaker 1: They were like they were like get away. You know, I didn't care that she was TV royalty. Well for you, you kind of are TV royalty now, but it's still you're arriving late in a show with some of they trying to ask you out. Were you being treated unfairly?
Speaker 3: Nah, there was no, There was none of that. I'm so so grateful thought for everyone in the show. You know, they welcomed me with open arms. I will be on as cat. Yeah, obviously did kick up a bit of a stink on her birthday night because she was obviously they drunk, and you know, she wanted all the attention on her to her birthday, to her big day and I've come in there and none of the birds are really bothered as cat his birthda anymore. And that I mean, so I do understand that point of view. But then quickly, you know, we we have got a chat. And you know she also opened me with welcome arms, So I think that's another reason why I was more inclining to stay, because everyone was so nice in the show. So yeah, a touch would that that always happens if I'm ever intruder again, you.
Speaker 1: Know, well just a quick side step back to that Denise thing. Are you still catching up at Denise? Because she still cook you with like a rose chicken every now and again.
Speaker 3: She always asked me to go for a cup of tea but ends up being champagne. And even if it's up to midday on a Monday or a Tuesday, it's still champagne o'clock.
Speaker 2: So I do try to count.
Speaker 3: Back, but it's hard because I'm constantly on the road, you know, like I'm traveling. I'm probably catching so something some cushing like ten flights a week. I'm just always in the air. I'm packing unpacking, so I'm never in one spot for too long. But if I do get some downtime and I'm in the gold course. I always shoot at a message and try to catch up, even if it's just for a quick champagne.
Speaker 1: It's always a quick champagne. But you know with today's it's never a quick champagne. Like it's always yeah, it's twenty. I've got to stay the next I can't drive home. Obviously, going to be doing a lot of tours, I would say, because the clubs around Australia would be foolish not to capitalize in on this Aussie Shaw phenomenon. Yeah, you to turn up with some of the cast when you tour with the cast, Is there some drama that you're taking with you or are you all family with all family?
Speaker 2: With all family?
Speaker 3: Obviously we've we've done a little little bit of press work and stuff together, you know, in various cities, and like obviously they're all a lot close with each other than I am. But I get a sort of insight to what they're like when I do do the press stuff with them, and like most of them, the cook up with each other and stuff like it's mad, Like it's more drama off the should than it is on the should.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. I can't keep up.
Speaker 3: Every time I catch up with them, one of them is like lips and up the other one like I'm like, what was last week you with this one?
Speaker 2: No, you're this one.
Speaker 3: So it's yeah, it's mad. It's like a family, but it's some I don't really like to call her a family. Someone's a bit ancestrial to me, to be honest.
Speaker 1: You're not the first person that's told me that. They're like, what's the deal with them all calling each other the family? They're all rooting each other, Like this is like a family you know that don't understand, like Dingo's that root themselves probably don't know about about Dingos. I kind of have to let you go, which is really frustrating. I hope everyone watches Ossie Shaw because for me, I was a little bit scared of it. I was like, maybe I'm too old, maybe it'll be too rude. But I have been really obsessed with it. To be honest, I think it's a lot of fun. I think you need to check your brain at the door a little bit and joy it for what it is. I think that's such a part of it. Understand Afraid of rude words, maybe just watch the show with the sound turned down because everyone's so pretty.
Speaker 3: Every second word is a rude word. We're all having fun and that's right, That's what it's about my next So.
Speaker 1: I don't know you was ever being a swearer though, you know, And it's funny.
Speaker 2: I know, I know that.
Speaker 1: I've worked with you al say the same thing. They're all like, you know, what's interesting about Callum is that he's really well mannered, and so seeing you swear on Ossie Shaw seems really kind of naughty. I mean, it's like it's like a wild swearing somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I think a lot of that comes down to like the environment that you're in, right, Like, just surrounded by everyone constantly swearing, You're gonna be more inclined to swear, you know. So it's just I guess reading the room, and I read that room, and I knew that she needed mental So that's what I did.
Speaker 1: Well. The last question I ask everyone who joins the pot is really quick, which is what if something from behind the scenes, something that we as an audience wouldn't know. And I kind of have a question for you. Now there's a lot of discussion about your next show. Can you talk to me about or couldn't you give me a clue as to what's coming up. I've heard too Hot to Handle, and then I've also heard you've signed a contract with with Westfield. I've also been told that you secretly dating Sky on the side. I've also been told that you're getting married. So look, there's a lot out there. Can you tell me about what's happening in Callum Hole's world next?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of shows coming up. But one thing I would say is a mixture. It's a good variety. It's not just my traditional sort of dating party in shows. There are there are some other sort of family orientate in shows as well, which is exciting.
Speaker 2: So I've got a balance this year.
Speaker 1: How the hell are you going to do dating shows if you've got a girlfriend at the moment. That's what I don't.
Speaker 2: Understand across that bridge when we come to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's just hope you girlfriends not listening to this podcast, because I'm pretty sure you've just got broken up with at them and many driver style. Callum. Can I just say I am such a fan of you as a person. I think you're a very genuine I think you're a very honest person. I love your enthusiasm and I can't wait to someone see where you take the evolution of your TV career because I'm here in your audience and I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time, then I appreciate it. Que